InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Lost the Real Dream ❯ An Offer She Couldn't Refuse ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of Sengoku Otogizoushi - InuYasha or Yuu Yuu Hakusho. InuYasha belongs to Takahashi Rumiko, Shogakukan, Viz Media, ShoPro Entertainment, and Shounen; while Yuu Yuu Hakusho belongs to Togashi Yoshihiro, Shueisha, Viz Media, and Shounen. No profit or money of any kind is made from this fan-created crossover.


* ~ * ~ *


Title: Lost the Real Dream

Chapter 10: An Offer She Couldn't Refuse


* ~ * ~ *



Faded blue eyes regarded the enigma sitting before her. It seemed she wasn't the only mysterious one in the family. Memories of her very early childhood came to mind when she used to see a pale figure dressed in white with nine tails and fox ears over the physical image of her little brother. Shuichi, or Kurama, was almost a complete opposite in looks to the fox in white. Her little brother had lightly tanned skin, rich red hair, and eyes that reminded her of the color of spring leaves. She didn't know yet if he acted similar to that fox, but had a feeling that he did in some ways. Somehow she knew the way of foxes, and could tell her brother did as well. It was completely perplexing.

"Oneesan? Is something wrong?"

She smiled softly at Shuichi and shook her head, "Not really... I'm just thinking over a few things."

He threw his drink away, and focused his piercing green eyes and attention completely on her. The watcher was now the watched, or perhaps she never had been the watcher. "Thinking over what?"

"Last night... What exactly were you three talking about?"

He paused for a moment, and she had been around him long enough to know exactly what that pause stood for. He was trying to find a way to conceal the truth without exactly lying. His half-truths were far too sound and logical for her to find a discrepancy to latch on to. "The last mission was one only Yusuke and Kuwabara went on..."

"The one that was on the tape with the talking toddler?"

Kurama chuckled softly, "Yes, that one... Well, they didn't close it entirely. The person they were to...apprehend...managed to escape."

"And it was that man that approached us last night, wasn't it?" Her voice was soft as she asked. She didn't like the thought of any of them, especially Yusuke, having to deal with men that dangerous.

He nodded, "Yes, Toguro. There is a new mission we will all be needing to go on to finally apprehend him. It will be a martial arts tournament we'll have to go to."

"But you won't have to fight, will you?" His silence was enough of an answer to her question. While she didn't like that he would have to, she accepted it. For some reason the idea of him fighting didn't bother her, she knew he could take care of himself. And sometimes, fighting was the only way. "However, what did he mean by "Rally the humans?" He's human, too, isn't he?"

Kurama sighed and resisted the urge to fidget. This was one question he hoped never to answer. He never wanted Kagome to know about the world he was involved in even if she had been a part of the same world. After everything that happened, she deserved some peace of mind. Yet he knew that he couldn't lie to her, she was too perceptive when it came to lies. Not to mention he would never be able to live with himself if he directly lied to her.

"Hey, Kurama!" Both Kagome and Kurama turned around at the familiar shout. Kagome watched her brother worriedly as his entire body reflected the serious expression on his face. Ever since last night she had been watching him closely, trying to figure out exactly what had changed.

"Kuwabara-chan, what brings you here?"

The tall red-head came to a stop near them, panting hard. "Hello, Kagome-chan... I didn't see you there!"

She smiled fondly, "It's OK, Kazuma-kun."

"Kuwabara?" The serious tone finally made its appearance in Kurama's voice.

A sheepish smile appeared on Kuwabara's face, "Sorry, Kagome-chan, but I need to talk to Kurama in private."

Worry crept up in her blue eyes, but she nodded. "Alright, I'll continue heading home. I'll see you there, Shuichi-kun."

Both males watched her walk ahead of them before continuing with the conversation they both knew was going to take place. "Yusuke told me about the tournament yesterday. Do you know about it?"

"Yes. Toguro approached Hiei and myself last night. Is there something bothering you about this?"

Kuwabara nodded. While he may be a punk, he had no qualms about asking for help, unless he was asking Yusuke or Hiei. "I need to become stronger."

"We all do. Toguro's power is truly immense," he said more to himself, but at Kuwabara's crestfallen look he knew he had heard. "I'll be needing a sparring partner, if you're interested, Kuwabara-chan?"

"When will we start?"

The fox container appeared thoughtful for a moment, weighing everything in his mind. "Let's start tomorrow. We'll be needing to make the most out of these two months. I'm sure Yusuke and Hiei will be as well."



* ~ * ~ *



It was amazing how quickly a month could fly by especially when the time was filled with work and solitude. Ever since Kuwabara approached them she had barely seen her brother or any of his friends. The moments she would get to see him where filled with worry and concern. Always he would be drained of energy, and so would be Hiei and Kuwabara. Many times there would be bruises and lacerations adorning their bodies. It was enough to cause her to get gray hair prematurely. The fact that they had hardly heard from Yusuke, and none had seen him, only made her worry worse.

She had used this time to get closer to Shiori though. But the older woman often spent her nights away from home since she had met a nice gentleman. He was also widowed and had a son as well. Kagome found it amusing that his son's given name was also Shuichi. If they ever married, which it did look like they would, it was sure to cause much confusion in their home. While she dreaded the lonely nights and days she spent at home, she was beyond happy for her step-mother. If anyone deserved happiness and a wonderful guy, it was Shiori.

As much as she loved knowing both Shiori and Shuichi were moving on with their lives, doing whatever it was they were doing, it hurt to know she couldn't do the same. When you couldn't remember the moments that defined you and made you into the person you were today, how could you ever hope to move into the future? You could make it from moment to moment, but without that past, the mistakes and memories you made, it was hard to look into the future to try and plan it.

She felt helplessly left behind. An assertive knock sounding from the front door had her pushing away those thoughts and heading to see who it was. When her fingers curled around the door knob, she found herself hesitating. It was as if she unconsciously knew she wouldn't like seeing who was on the other side or that something monumental was about to happen.

"Hello, Kagome," a sinister, yet familiar, voice said to her as soon as she opened the door.

Her heart caught in her throat from fear at seeing the same crimson eyes that haunted most of her dreams. The reason for her fear, she still didn't know yet. "I'm sorry, but do I know you?"

A genuinely concerned smile appeared on his face, "Yes, we knew each other once. I sought you out as soon as I heard about your condition."

Something about his words seemed off to her, as if he was lying about something. Yet he did seem to know her, and she could vaguely remember someone that looked like him. "I'm sorry but I don't remember you..."

"Naraku. And I'm not all that surprised you don't remember me, we didn't part on the best of terms. However I would like to make it up to you, since that was my fault. I want to help you remember."

As much as she didn't want to, she knew she had to invite him inside. He gave off the same feeling she often got from Hiei and from Shuichi at times. There was also the feeling that he had killed many surrounding him. It made her skin crawl from wanting to get rid of the feeling. She realized though that this was probably the only chance she would have to find out about her past, and custom dictated it. "Well then, why don't you come inside and we can discuss my past over tea?"

To her relief he declined it, "Sorry, but I can't stay long. You probably wouldn't believe me even if I told you. There is a way I can show you some of it, there'll be a martial arts tournament held in a month. When you get there, you'll see what I mean." He reached into his coat pocket and withdrew an envelope. "In there, you'll find your invitation, and directions on how to get there. It would be in everyone's best interest for you to attend."

She hesitantly reached out to grab it somehow knowing that if she did, it would completely change her life now. Was changing the present truly worth reclaiming the past? Her fingers latched onto the envelope, taking it from his possession and into hers. "Thank you, I'll be sure to attend."

He nodded before turning to walk away, "Remember, it takes place in a month." She never saw the baleful smirk that graced his face, changing his entire countenance.



* ~ * ~ *



OK, in my last little author's note, I did forget to mention Sesshoumaru. He will also be making a small appearance in this fic, but he won't have a bigger part until the sequel. And aww, no one tried taking a guess as to what was going to happen... But I guess it's incredibly obvious now what will be happening in the coming chapters all the way to the end. And I promise when this story ends, the sequel will be posted within a week, and it will be just as good, if not better, than this story.

Reviewer Responses:

yusukekuramasgirl: lol, I thought it was something Kagome would do! I will take your word that it is a hell of a rush. I'm glad to know I am portraying it as a typical sibling relationship, that is what I was hoping to do! And at the same time, I wanted to show that while they tease each other, they truly care and worry about each other. And thank you for the review!

SKnFS: I was wondering why I was missing reviews from you! I'm glad that you had three chapters to read when you got back. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to go three weeks without internet access or computers (I am hoplessly addicted to my laptop). And I'm also glad to know you like how the relationships are progressing. As I said a lfew chapters back, I am taking relationships slowly because I don't like reading stories where the relationships are too rushed. Also, thanks for reviewing!