InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "Love and Destiny" ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch. 6
“Are you sure you don't want me to walk you home? I feel really bad.”
 
“Don't worry about it Hojo. I'm just tired,” replied an annoyed Kagome. She walked slumped over, her feet heavy. People couldn't help but stare at the huge brown stain on her skirt.
 
“I'm so sorry I spilled my soda on you,” apologized Hojo for the tenth time. “That part at the end just surprised me.”
 
“It's okay, really. I'll see you in school. Bye Hojo.”
 
Kagome left quickly before Hojo could utter another word.
 
It was getting later; the sun would set soon. A slight breeze blew Kagome's hair behind her as she walked through empty streets. She had never felt so alone.
 
“What a terrible day. Even worse than the others,” she thought to herself.
 
Kagome was relieved to finally reach her home. All she wanted to do was get to her bed and sleep. She wanted to escape cruel reality.
 
“Hey Mom, I'm heading up to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow,” said Kagome, her exhaustion apparent in her voice.
 
“Oh, wait Kagome. You have a visitor waiting for you in the yard.”
 
“Great, just what I need,” she thought. “It's probably Hojo.”
 
Kagome reluctantly made her way outside, scanning the ground as she walked. When she finally looked up, her eyes met hues of bright red and elegant silver.
 
“In…Inuyasha?” she whispered aloud, as he slowly turned to meet her gaze.
 
“Kagome…,” he whispered back. His words were soft and loving, his eyes sparkling.
 
“I must be dreaming,” Kagome thought as her feet drew her closer to him. “I've finally lost it. This can't be real.”
 
Inuyasha took her into his arms. There was something distinctly different about the embrace. He had held her before, but not like this. It was as if he would never let go.
 
“Kagome, I came a long way to see you. I had to tell you something. I saw Kikyo today. She helped me realize a lot. She told me that my feelings for her had grown weaker, but she was wrong. I will always care for her, and those feelings have never, and will never change.”
 
His words stung Kagome with pain. She tried to escape his arms, but he held on to her tightly.
 
“It's not that my feelings for her are weaker, it's that my feelings for you are stronger. You mean more to me than anyone or anything. More than Kikyo, and even more than the shikon jewel itself. Kagome…I love you.”
 
The tears could not be restrained. Kagome could no longer hold back her emotions. She lifted her face away from Inuyasha's haori, and up towards his face. They're eyes met.
 
“I can't believe it. This is real. Inuyasha, I…”
 
Before she could finish her words, Kagome found herself kissing the man for whom she had longed for such a long time.
 
“Hey what's going on Mom? Is Inuyasha back?” asked a curious Souta. He and his mother had been watching Inuyasha and Kagome from a window. His height allowed him only small glances of the scene outside.
 
“I'll tell you about it later,” replied Mrs. Higarashi as the embrace grew more passionate.
 
A bright pink light glided by like a shooting star, watching over the sight. “It's a funny thing, destiny. Does destiny determine love, or does love determine destiny?” The time priestess's words faded as she disappeared into the sky.
 
As the sun set on the day, a new future rose for Inuyasha and Kagome. A whole new beginning.