InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "Shards of Our Memories": The Soap Opera ❯ Chapter 12: One Life to Live ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: ::cue music:: How much is that hanyou in the window? The one with the pointing white ears? No I don't own him… but I'll write all the songs I want about Inuyasha.

 

A/N: Well- here it is. The final chapter in the story. It's longer than all the other chapters, because I had a lot of ground to cover. I hope the ending satisfies!

 

 

"Shards of Our Memories"

 

Chapter 12: One Life to Live

 

The yammering in her ear was unbearable. High-pitched squealing, and indistinguishable words- it almost reminded her of a banshee. Sango screaming excitedly over the phone at her was certainly out-of-character…and might have been more welcome, if in fact Kagome had not just woken up.

 

She managed a groggily mumbled "Hr…?" into the receiver, her brain still trying to grasp what Sango was saying. It couldn't possibly be more important than sleep, could it?

 

Sango tried to verbally shake her friend awake. "Didn't you hear the news yet?"

 

"….News?"

 

She caught a few scattered words that managed to mobilize her thought process. Something like "award," "TV," "actress," and possibly something about flying porcupines…but that might have just been a trick of Kagome's ear. She sat up slowly, stretching her limbs a little in an effort to wake up fully.

 

And then she realized what Sango was talking about.

 

"Oh. My. God."

 

Kagome promptly dropped the phone.

 

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

 

They were all in her dressing room when she arrived at the studio- Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, Kouga, Kagura and the production staff. Her mind spun a little as she smiled dizzily. Sango was the first to see her, and immediately tackled her friend in a bear hug.

 

"I can't believe it! This is what you've always wanted: to be nominated for a Daytime Soap Best Actress Award!" She hugged tighter, and Kagome smiled even through the suffocation. Miroku and Kouga were both grinning at her from across the room.

 

She looked to the corner, and saw Inuyasha standing alone, his face radiating with inner pride. Even if he wasn't grinning like a fool like everybody else, his eyes were twinkling at her, and she was grateful for it. He had been calming down lately, had let himself be more easygoing with the rest of the cast. And, she saw the soft spot he had for her, every time he looked in her direction.

 

"Thanks, everyone…" Kagome spoke, meekly. "But, I haven't even won it yet!"

 

Miroku looked indignant. "Yet! You haven't won it yet. But it's only a matter of time until my lovely client gets her dues! You won't forget to mention dear old me in the speech, huh?" He winked at her.

 

Her eyes were still trained on Inuyasha, and when she smiled, it was directed towards him. "I wouldn't dream of forgetting any of you."

 

Hiten took a glance at his watch, and his face lit up in surprise. "Hustle, people! It's time to get ready for today's scenes. We're on a tight schedule…" The rest of the cast began to trail grudgingly out of Kagome's dressing room, moving out into the hallway to their own marked doors. Only Sango, Kagome and Inuyasha were left. Sango looked at Kagome and Inuyasha's linked stare, and decided quickly to leave them be for the moment.

 

Inuyasha sidled carefully over to her, his head tilted so that he was looking down at her. She liked the cool look in his face, like nothing could topple him. When she had seen him break down the week before, she had felt her own heart break along with his. And now, he had changed…was more quiet and less angry….though, when around Kagome, he was as lively as ever.

 

She smiled up at him, encouragingly. "Was there something you wanted to talk about?"

 

He nodded contemplatively. "I…I was going to visit Kikyo soon…visit her grave. And, well, I wanted you to come with me. I haven't been since the accident, and I really…I guess…."

 

Kagome placed a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, Inuyasha I'll go with you. I know it's important to you." She sighed inwardly. Even though she always would feel a pang of jealousy when she thought of Kikyo and her role in Inuyasha's past, she would never try to deny her existence. Kikyo would always be a memory and an emotion in Inuyasha's heart, and Kagome could not change that.

 

"Thank you, Kagome."

 

She smiled again. "It's nothing…" It was something, though…and they both felt it deeper than they admitted. It was a huge step in the right direction, and it left them both with warmth in their smiles when Inuyasha left to go to his own dressing room.

 

Of course, once Kagome was left open, Sango took the opportunity to pounce on her friend. She ushered her over to her dressing table with a motherly air, sitting her on a stool, and placing cool hands on Kagome's shoulders. Her eyes met Kagome through the reflection in the mirror, and a devious smile was secured on her lips. "So, since we haven't been able to have girl talk for quite a while, I think it's about time you spill it!"

 

Kagome looked teasingly innocent. "Spill what? Everything's quite normal!"

 

Sango hit her playfully on the shoulder, before darting quickly to shut the dressing room door so they could find confidentiality away from the inquiring minds of the nosy cast. "It's not often you see a man look at a woman the way Inuyasha just looked at you, Kagome."

 

Kagome raised her eyebrows. "The way he looked at me…?" She was prepared to draw this out as long as possible, if only to use as tools for bartering her way into the truth about Sango's blossoming relationship with her agent.

 

"His eyes were practically on fire! I wouldn't have been surprised if he had forgotten there were other people in the room and had-"

 

"OK, OK!" giggled Kagome, finally causing her friend to stop. "I get it. You don't have to say anymore."

 

"Well…?"

 

"Well…nothing's official. But, there's something there. He came over to my apartment last week… and, well…I think I like him." She blushed, and Sango had to laugh out loud. It was time Kagome admitted what everyone around her had been able to see.

 

" `Not official'?!" Sango scoffed, a wide smile on her face.

 

Kagome pouted a little, turning to face the dark-haired girl behind her with an inquisitive smile of her own. "So, Rin called me the other day…"

 

"She did?"

 

"What was this about Miroku sending three bouquets of flowers to your apartment in the last week, hm?"

 

Now it was Sango's turn to blush.

 

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

 

Inuyasha rested an ankle on his knee, bouncing it lightly in boredom and impatience. He looked down at his slacks, glaring them as if annoyed that they would dare fold in weird directions when he sat like this. He decided on sitting normally, and now his foot began tapping on the ground.

 

Where in the blazes was his brother? He swore that Sesshomaru did this on purpose. It seemed that, whenever he could, he found some way of screwing his brother over, or at least piss him off by making him bend to the producer's whims. He leaned forward in the chair that sat opposite Sesshomaru's desk, and began inspecting the paperwork piled neatly on the surface. Well, if he was going to be left to his own devices, he would take no hesitation in snooping.

 

His fun was promptly ruined as the office door swung open, and his brother, as regal as always, stood in the doorway. He gave Inuyasha a disdainfully dry glare, before gliding over to his desk chair. His long locks stood out magnificently against the dark leather of the chair, making him look like an arrogant ruler of a kingdom, not the leader of a production studio.

 

"I'm surprised, Inuyasha, that you managed to be here on time. I'm glad you've finally learned some responsibility."

 

Inuyasha made no effort to conceal the bored glare that he shot back at Sesshomaru. He rolled his eyes, slumping back in the uncomfortable chair. He wouldn't have been surprised if his brother had ordered them made uncomfortable on purpose, if only to unnerve his many guests. "Why am I here? I really have no desire to stay here any longer than I have to."

 

"Don't worry, I have no desire to stomach you any longer than completely necessary."

 

"Get on with it then," Inuyasha snarled.

 

"You have cancer." His brother stated, simply.

 

"….the hell…?" He looked at Sesshomaru as if he had just put on tap shoes and started doing a jig around the office.

 

"Your character is going to be dead in…" Sesshomaru leaned over patiently to tip a glance at the schedule on his desk. "Three weeks. We need fresh meat on the set, and we need some angst. You're to shoot your last scene at the end of the month."

 

Inuyasha blinked for a few seconds, taking in the information, before he responded. "You mean I don't have to work for you anymore?" The smile was growing on his face, and Sesshomaru was looking increasingly annoyed at the joyous expression.

 

"Yes, yes. Don't overdo yourself, Inuyasha…"

 

Inuyasha didn't bother to ask any questions, but instead, snickered happily. He wouldn't have to be weighed down by this show any more. And, if they were no longer on the same set anymore, this could mean that he and Kagome could be freer in their relationship.

 

"Now, just in case you're wondering, I'm not doing this for your sake. I wouldn't dream of it. The network just told me that the female audiences are sick of you." Sesshomaru tried to keep the stare of indifference off his face.

 

"You're a horrible liar, Sesshomaru."

 

"Get out of my office this instant, Inuyasha, or I swear that I will fire you right now." The seething glare could have been described as poisonous, but not as a very good cover-up.

 

Their mutual fierce stares were broken by the sound of Jaken's nasal voice over the intercom on Sesshomaru's phone. "Uh…Sir?"

 

Sesshomaru's voice rumbled coolly, but angrily into the speaker. "What is it Jaken?"

 

Jaken squeaked in terror, and Inuyasha could just imagine him screwing up his fleshy face in regret. "There's a phone call I thought you'd like to take…"

 

Sesshomaru looked as if he would smash the phone. "Who is it, then?"

 

"Um…Miss Rin says it's important…"

 

Sesshomaru looked up to see Inuyasha quaking with silent laughter. "Rin….? Are you blushing, Sesshomaru?"

 

His older brother now couldn't prevent the roar from escaping his mouth. "I said GET OUT!"

 

Inuyasha closed the door with tears of mirth streaming from his eyes.

 

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

 

"Hi, folks! I'm Jim Sciocco, live at the 18th Annual Daytime Soap Awards in Hollywood! It's a beautiful night, and the stars are out- not only in the sky, but also on the red carpet. Some of the biggest actors and actresses from your favorite soaps are all here for the biggest party of the year, including the casts of Dark and Mysterious Past, Love Octagon, Temptation Calling, and the newest hit, Shards of Our Memories."

 

As the camera panned around to catch glimpses of the sequins, flashes from the paparazzi, and the cheering fans alongside the red carpet, the announcer took time to adjust his bowtie and pat down his slicked-back mass of black hair. When the camera turned towards him once again, his teeth were glinting in the bright camera light, and his voice boomed into the microphone.

 

"Now, we have a special guest with us tonight, that so sweetly agreed to speak with us before the ceremony- the beautiful Kagome Higurashi, who stars as Maya Dupri in Shards of Our Memories. She's up for Best Actress for her wonderful performance this season. How are you feeling tonight, Kagome?"

 

Kagome's heart skipped a beat, as the head of the microphone was shoved in her face. She smiled, nervously, hoping that the beads of sweat on her face wouldn't be reflecting the light that shone impossibly bright from the hands of the cameramen.

 

"Thank you for having me, Jim. I'm feeling nervous, but also very excited!" She bit her lip, praying silently that her dress looked okay.

 

"So, what are you wearing tonight? It's a beautiful dress."

 

Kagome breathed out in relief, glad to know the blue, strapless evening gown was a hit. It had taken her and Sango weeks of fighting over material and puzzling over styles to find the right dress. Sango would be glad. "It's a gown by Costoso…" She shakily turned around so that the cameraman could scan the back. She had become used to being in front of a camera, but she wasn't sure if she liked the idea of millions of viewers taking a closer look at her behind.

 

The announcer nodded in fake appreciation, as if he had never seen a designer dress in his life. Then he glanced a little bit behind Kagome, to the man who stood casually at her side, dark shades blocking the intensity of his bright eyes. "And for the viewers out there who are out of the loop, could you introduce your date?" Now the man was becoming interested, glad he was the first to grab the juicy story.

 

Kagome grinned widely, continuing her death grip on Inuyasha's arm. It had been half an hour since they had stepped from the limousine, but she had only once let go to twirl for the camera. He had told her what to say, and she shuffled the words to the front of her lips as she leaned against Inuyasha. "This is Inuyasha Tanaka- my costar on Shards of Our Memories."

 

She purposely didn't mention why they were seemingly linked at the hip, and instead continued her dazzling smile. The announcer, not miffed at all, turned his prodding microphone to Inuyasha's lips, as if it were a nosy question of its own. "So, Inuyasha, you weren't nominated for anything tonight. You're a veteran soap star, and you've just received your second big break. Does it hurt not to be recognized? Is the rejection overwhelming?" The man's smile was like wax, and Kagome didn't think it was humanly possible to smile that way for any extended period of time.

 

Inuyasha's hands were shoved in his pockets, and he stood like a prince who owned the carpet. An unfamiliarly pleasant smile curled on his lips, as he studied the interviewer for a moment. It was impossible to see his eyes. "I don't know, Jim…why don't you tell me? You'd seem like you would know a lot about rejection…"

 

They left Jim Sciocco standing with microphone held limply in his hand, and a stunned look faltering his plastic smile.

 

Kagome pressed closer to Inuyasha, resting her chin on his shoulder. "That wasn't very nice, Inuyasha…" but she couldn't help but giggle despite herself. The people in the crowd around them took sidelong glances at the couple, unbeknownst to Inuyasha and Kagome. It was hard to keep eyes away from the stunning sweep of the blue satin gown, contrasting with the sleek suit fitted on a tall, graceful body.

 

Inuyasha's sunglasses slipped down his nose a little, as his eyes glinted at Kagome's face over the rims. His lips formed a mock pout. "Well, he wasn't very nice!"

 

She inched her hand to lace her fingers between his. Ignoring the flashes of the cameras around them, they began to weave through the crowd to get to the entrance of the theater where the awards were to be held.

 

"Besides," he smirked. "I don't care about offending the press anymore. I'm done with that crap. I think since Sesshomaru doesn't need me anymore, I'll become a reclusive and brilliant writer. That way nobody needs pictures of me. I'll uncover the secrets and lies behind the world of TV acting. How does that sound?" He chuckled, folding his dark shades into his breast pocket.

 

Kagome rolled her eyes playfully. "But that means you'll make me look bad if I ever take you on any more interviews."

 

Inuyasha shrugged dismissively. "Your fault for dating a rude son-of-a-bitch!"

 

Kagome punched him lightly in the shoulder. "If I win, you can forget about me thanking you in my speech…" she grumbled.

 

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

 

Kagome would have supposed that becoming an established TV actress would mean that hopefully your mother would take the hint, and stop treating you like her little girl. She had learned very quickly that she was wrong. Even when the newspaper TV critics and the magazines had been praising her for her maturity, her mother was always on the other line with the normal lectures. Today was certainly not an exception.

 

"I can't believe it!"

 

Kagome gave Inuyasha a stare that told him everything, as they sat in the car together, four days after the awards ceremony. Kagome sighed.

 

"Well, you're going to have to start believing it sometime, Mother."

 

"Best Actress…wow. So where are you going to put the award? On your mantle? Do you mind if I keep it over here to show the visitors?"

 

"I don't know where I'm putting it yet, Mama…I really have to go…I'm with Inuyasha right now…"

 

"Oh…he's really a handsome boy. So, when are you going to bring him over so I can meet him?"

 

Kagome and Inuyasha's eyes were locked together and she giggled, indicating that they were talking about him. "Soon, Mama. It depends when he can do it. I'll have to ask him. Now, I really, really have to go. I'll call you later, OK?"

 

She hung up the phone quickly, giving Inuyasha an apologetic look. "Sorry."

 

He chuckled. "It's no problem."

 

They leaned out and pushed open the car doors, then slammed them shut against the force of the early spring wind. Kagome crossed the front of the car, immediately grasping Inuyasha's hand in hers. They stood still for a moment, watching the breeze blow the leaves in waves across the trimmed lawn of the cemetery.

 

Kagome looked up at Inuyasha's face, saw how he was steeling himself in the face of the tombstones, and how the orange sunset lit the gold flecks in his eyes. She squeezed his fingers in hers, and he slowly turned to face her, a soft look in his face.

 

"Are you ready?" She smiled softly.

 

He nodded, and they stepped together out into the field.

 

~THE END~

 

A/N: Well, it's over. ::Long sigh of regret:: I just ended my two favorite stories this weekend, and while I'm glad the endings turned out right, I'll miss them. Don't hope for a sequel to this one, though. I've thought about it, and I think I've just about beaten this idea to death already XD

 

Hope you enjoyed the story! Look out for more stories from me soon (I hope I'll get some good ideas this winter break). I think I'm going to attempt some Kenshin fan fiction, which I have yet to try!