InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "She's Somebody's Hero" ❯ Her Daughter ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

~30 Years Later~
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
30 years have flown right past
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Hey Sis, here's a picture of us at the park. Remember? Mom used to take us there all the time.”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Her daughter's staring at all the photographs
Of her mother
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kagome looked at the photo and her eyes glazed over as she remembered. In the photo, Souta had been about 2 and she was 6. She was seated on the swing, holding her brother on her lap as her mom carefully pushed the swing. They were all laughing, without a care in the world…
 
“Earth to Kagome!”
 
“Huh? Oh, sorry Souta. I was just thinking…”
 
“About mom?”
 
“Yea…”
 
“Have you visited her yet today?”
 
“I was just going to. Are you coming?”
 
Souta smiled sadly. “I wish I could but you know Hitomi is due to have the baby any day now and I can't leave her.”
 
Kagome smiled “That's right! This will be your third girl!”
 
Souta rolled his eyes. “If Shiori's going to be anything like how her hentai twin sisters turned out I shall die of mortification!”
 
Kagome chuckled. “They just hung around their lecherous cousin too much. I swear I think sometimes that Tsujitani is the reincarnation of Miroku himself!” Then she sighed. “I wish I had been as good as Mom at raising kids…”
 
“I don't think Mom raising Tani would've made and difference. I think he IS the reincarnation of Miroku. Where else would he have gotten purple eyes from? And who ELSE do we know asks women to “Please bear their child”?
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And she wishes she could be like that
Oh, but she already is
 
She's somebody's hero
The hero to
her mother in the rocking chair
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kagome smiled as she spotted her mother in her favorite rocking chair, looking out the window of her room. Her mother looked up and smiled back at Kagome, but it was a glassy-eyed expression. Kagome noticed this and felt as if her heart would break- her mother again did not recognize her.
 
Swallowing her pain, Kagome took a brush out of her purse and began to methodically brush her diminishing locks of hair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She runs a brush through her silver hair
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
When she was done, she picked up the bowl of applesauce that the nursing staff had left in the room that morning. Her mother could eat little else nowadays. “Mom, I brought a surprise for you.” Her mother's eyes lit up as Kagome took out a small can of cinnamon from her purse.
 
Her mom had always loved cinnamon… Cinnamon candles, cinnamon bread, you name it.
 
Kagome poured a generous amount in the applesauce before feeding it to her mom. And when half of it spilled back out and dribbled down her chin, Kagome picked up a napkin and lovingly wiped it off.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The envy of the nursing home
She drops
by every afternoon
Feeds her mom with a spoon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Sighing as she looked at the clock, Kagome realized it was time to go. Kuwashima's and Tsujitani's wedding was in just a few days and final preparations had to be made. Otherwise she usually wouldn't leave this early. She cleaned up the mess and packed up her stuff in her purse.
 
She held her mother in her arms one more time before she had to leave. She stood up and kissed her forehead and turned to leave. She opened the door and looked back into her mother's eyes once more.
 
Although she new her mom did not know her, sometimes… she still hoped…
 
Her mom beamed back.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And that smile lets her know
Her mother's smile lets her know
She's somebody's hero
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Although Kagome was comforted by the thought that her mom was grateful to her, tears still brimmed her eyes as she stared into the eyes that showed no recognition of her daughter. Kagome slowly closed the door and walked away.
 
Now sitting by herself, Mrs. Higurashi seemed oddly affected by those tears. Staring at the door, her eyes seemed to clear for just a moment. “I love you… Kagome.” She whispered as her eyes once again became clouded over.
 
A/N: Sorry it took me so long to finish guys!! Junior year is tough! Should I make this into a one-shot, or leave it the way it is?? Lemme know what you think!!