InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 28 Days ❯ First Impressions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I'm broke now, and I don't get paid for a few days... so wait until then to sue me, ok?

(A/N: People keep saying that I should proof read my work... and yes... I probably should. But when I've written it I don't want to go through it again and if I give it to someone else it delays the posting time. I admit, I'm not a patient person and right now my keyboard has changed and there are hundreds more typos than ever before (eek) It's like trying to use the keypad of a mobile phone to write a novel...

Anyway, I've gone back and changed some stuff in the first chapter - but no need to read it again. I just changed some spelling and grammar and that slip with Souta and Inuyasha (can you tell I had a certain doctor on the mind?)^_^)













28 Days

First Impressions













Kagome's head hurt a lot when she woke up... as well as her hand. But other than feeling like she'd been out partying all night, she felt fine.

"Kagome!" someone shouted when she peeked open her eyes slightly. Sound suddenly flushed together and she began to notice the faint incessant beeping sound in the background. She also felt something plastic and rather constricting had been shoved up her nose and the back of her hand ached while the other just hurt all over.

Her mother's face appeared above her and she vaguely noticed that her mother looked very relieved. "Kagome? Do you know who I am? Do you remember what happened to you?"

Kagome opened her mouth and tried to speak, but her tongue felt fuzzy and her entire throat dry. She coughed and tried to start again but it was no use. She couldn't find strength to even talk.

"It's ok, you just relax." Her mother touched her shoulder. Another woman appeared on her other side with a pretty young face.

"Kagome? Do you know where you are? Nod your head if you do." The lady said.

Kagome shook her head.

"You're in hospital, you've had a bit of an accident..." the woman smiled kindly and Kagome realised she must have been a nurse, and she was in a hospital ward. But she couldn't remember why.

"Do you remember what happened?" the nurse asked.

Once again she shook her head.

"Do you remember what you had for breakfast this morning?"

Kagome thought... but she couldn't remember. Hadn't she just gone to bed? What time was it? She hadn't had breakfast yet, had she?"

Kagome's mother looked up at the nurse. "What does that mean?"

"Don't worry, Mrs Higurashi, short term memory loss is fairly common after comas." The nurse replied easily. "You're lucky she woke up so quickly."

The beeping machine behind Kagome suddenly spiked and she began to squirm uneasily. The nurse quickly pushed her back down. "It's ok, don't get up, you're out of the woods now."

"What..." Kagome croaked. "What happened...?"

Why couldn't she remember?

Mrs Higurashi looked fretful. "Souta said you were stung by a bee and you collapsed. You sure pick your moments, Kagome. You missed the train to your new apartment."

Kagome groaned and her heart sank. She was going to miss the beginning of her semester at this rate. What day was it?

"We think you might have had a rather allergic reaction to some of the acid in the bees sting, you could have a serious problem in that case." The nurse was scribbling something down on a chart. "Have you ever been stung before?"

Kagome nodded. "But not like this time..."

The nurse nodded. "Sometimes allergies don't actually make their presence known until late teens. But that normally shouldn't knock you into a coma..."

A man in a long white lab coat suddenly entered with a clipboard and pen. "Nice to see you awake, Miss Higurashi."

Kagome's head reeled. Now that she could see properly, she could see the room was crowded with more than one nurse and her whole family was stood there too.

"You're little brother said you've been stung by a bee and had a bit of a violent reaction." He tapped his clipboard happily. "I think the wisest thing to do at this point will be to take some bloodtests and get them back as soon as possible. We should have the results back in two or three days or so."

Kagome closed her eyes and took deep steadying breaths to calm herself. It was ok... she'd be able to go to university tomorrow... she wouldn't miss it come hell or high water...

"Unfortunately, as you may have noticed, we seem to be having a bit of a problem with space, as you can see." The doctor waved a hand around to the other three beds in that ward, all occupied by comatose patients. "We're running short of beds and since Kagome is out of the woods, I think we have more pressing patients to see too."

Kagome clenched her teeth. It wasn't every day she fell into a coma. That, in her book, made her a pressing patient.

"We have, however, the name of another good doctor that will be able to help her." The doctor wrote something down for them. "His name is Doctor Hatsuyo, he's good in this kind of field. Though he works at the private hospital in the Musashi district."

"Private therapy?" Kagome's mother sounded uncertain. "Isn't that a little expensive?"

"Only for the insurance companies. You do have insurance, right?"

"Yes, of course."

"Then I think you should go see Dr Hatsuyo." The doctor handed over a sheet with a name and the address of the hospital. "I'll forward all forms and blood test results to him. Plus, the hospital is a lovely place. You'll like it there, there's more space and you'll get your own room."

"Joy..." Kagome croaked.





^_^





Even tually Kagome's family had taken off to go see this Dr Hatsuyo, and left Kagome in the competent care of the nurses. They were charged with the task of taking blood to send off for testing, and they didn't do it gently, either.

Kagome winced as they slid the needle into the vein before jamming in a syringe to take the blood. Finally it was full and they took it away. She was about to sigh with relief when they got another tube and started to fill that one too. By the time they were onto the fourth tube she began to worry if she'd have any blood left. She really began to worry when they started to fill a fourth and the nurse had to jiggle the syringe to get he blood flowing.

They finally went away, happily cradling the six syringes of blood taken from Kagome who was left feeling particularly weak and pale. "Vampires..." she muttered to herself.

A quarter of an hour later the nurse was back to check her status and ask if she needed anything. Kagome's response was to simply close her eyes and fall back into a deep sleep, that quickly turned comatose.

The nurse ran for the doctor but there wasn't much he could do other than hook her back up to the heart monitor machine to tell when, or if, she passed away. Hopefully she wouldn't.

Kagome's mother arrived back in a flourish and walked into the small ward where Kagome lay. She paled at once when she saw Kagome hooked back up to the machines. "Kagome!"

The nurse quickly blocked her from grabbed her daughter. "It's ok... she's slipped back into a coma, but hopefully she should wake soon since that seems to be her earlier pattern."

Kagome's mother was pushed back slightly and she stood helplessly for a moment, running her hand through her short hair, before walking slowly towards her oldest child. She resisted the temptation to cry, Souta was just outside and she had to be strong for him too. She sucked in a breath, held it for a few seconds before letting it out calmly. "I've seem Dr Hatsuyo, Kagome. He seems capable to... to see what's wrong with you..." she trailed off, gazing at Kagome's face. She looked so beautiful... but so ill... "We'll take you toe Shikon hospital when you wake up... probably tomorrow morning."

She smiled and held Kagome's hand again before slowly walking out of the ward to tell the others.





^_^





"How can you lose a patient?!" Inuyasha snapped as he stormed along the corridor with Miroku in tow. "They're not like pens, you know!"

"But he was old..." Miroku argued back. "He takes flight very easily."

"Birds take flight easily, Miroku. Old age pensioners crawl away. He can't have gone too far." Inuyasha shook his head. "I've seen plants grow faster than he can move."

He threw the door open to the old pensioner patients room where they all hung out together. Yep... there was definitely no sign of Miroku's patient in here. "Miroku... what on earth did you say to him to make him think running would be a good idea?"

"I just came in and said 'Mr Takeo, I have you haemorrhoid cream' and-"

"I'm surprise ONLY he ran for the hills." Inuyasha sighed. "Ok, you check the first and second floor and I'll check the third and fourth."

"How come you get the top floors?"

"Because they're smaller floors and the cafeteria will be waiting for me when I get to the top." Inuyasha shrugged as he strode off, first planning to drop off some forms with Kikyo.

He rounded the corner of reception and found Kikyo was already down on her hands and knees cleaning up some vomit... ah... the joys of being a nurse... "Kikyo, have you seen Mr Takeo?"

"The only thing I can see is a gory death to the caretaker - isn't he supposed to clean this stuff up?" She snapped, rising to her feet and pushing her hair out of her eyes.

"Whatever," he handed her selected folders with forms inside. "Call Takeo's next of kin and inform them that he's gone."

"Oh... how sad..." Kikyo sobered at once.

"No - he's not dead, just missing. He might be with them." Inuyasha turned and was about to trundle off to search the upper floors when he spotted Sango coming through the main entrance, using her back to push her way through the doors. "Oh god... not you AGAIN... I don't want to see you for another week."

"I lost my medication." Sango sighed and shrugged. "The cat ate it again and now we have to get a new cat before Kohaku realises it's dead."

"I keep saying I'm not your-"

"-Psychiatrist, don't complain to you, I know." Sango rolled her eyes. "But I need more medication and I have to see the surgeon about an operation."

"Oh... well Miroku should be hanging around this level somewhere, you should bump into him if you look, I'll get your medication later, ok?" Inuyasha turned and was about to say something to Kikyo, only to realise she was gone. He gave a deflated sigh and started to stomp away again while Sango trotted off to find Miroku.

After searching the upper floors for a while he finally met his destination in the cafeteria and was about to order himself up a nice plate of fresh ramen when he spotted a certain old senile man sitting close to the window. Inuyasha sighed and dumped his tray back down and started towards him. Why the man was sat by the window was a mystery, since he was as blind as a bat and twice as batty.

He stood behind the old man and slowly placed a hand on his shoulder. Mr Takeo looked up blindly. "Is that you, death?"

"Yeah, I'm here to tell you to take your cream or you're dead." Inuyasha said flatly.

At least the man saw through that one. "You shouldn't trick your elders, lad."

"Who said I was tricking you...?" Inuyasha said in a rather dark menacing tone.

"Oh, hah, hah." Takeo answered sarcastically.

"Come on, you have to get your cream from Miroku, unless you actually WANT to be squeezing out malteasers for the rest of your life."

"Dramatic sod." Takeo grumbled, but got up and allowed Inuyasha to guide him towards the elevator.

"I hope you appreciate this. I'm giving up my lunch hours for you and your flights of fancy." Inuyasha said as they reached reception. Kikyo was back and had finished cleaning up the mess and had stuck a 'wet floor' sign over the spillage. "Kikyo, take Takeo back to Miroku - he should be with Sango in the examination room."

Kikyo nodded and kindly offered her arm to the elderly gentleman to guide him back.

No sooner had they started down the corridor but Sango came storming up the other way with Miroku chasing after her. "Sango! It's not what it looks like!"

"Oh sure!" Sango yelled over her shoulder.

"Oh come on!" Inuyasha yelled at the raised voices. "This is a hospital, not an opera house!"

"I was just looking for Mr Takeo!" Miroku called after her.

"Down that nurse's throat?!"

"Yeah... I mean... no..." Miroku stopped. "Hey, do you want surgery or not?!"

"I think I'll find someone else I can trust myself with while I'm unconscious." Sango yelled and pushed her way out the doors.

Miroku stood glaring after her before the sound of slow, deliberate clapping could be heard behind him. He turned to find Inuyasha giving him a flat look. "Smooth, Romeo."

"One nurse... that's more than you'll ever get, Inuyasha." Miroku smirked before sauntering off to see Mr Takeo.

Inuyasha scowled after him before wondering what he had been doing before Miroku had dragged him away from his business. Oh yeah - having lunch!

Before he went, he made sure that his supply of pens was still topped up by taking a couple more of Kikyo's and heading back for the elevator. He stepped out at the top floor and into the main cafeteria. He was surprised to see Kikyo had somehow beaten him up there and had managed to change out of her uniform. She was probably going to go home now her shift was over, but planned to swipe a free meal first.

She was crouched before the water dispenser, pulling the tab out to allow the tiny trickle to fill her cup. The tray stand stood beside the dispenser so he had to go up to her.

"Nice hair, did you pay for that perm or is it 'all natural'?" Inuyasha remarked as he reached her. She looked up and stared at him.

"Sorry?" she smiled slightly.

"And since when do you wear red on Sundays?" he eyed her cotton red top and blue jeans. "Something special planned for tonight?"

"That's funny you should ask." She nodded slowly, keeping her smile. "I planned to go to university tonight but certain doctors keep saying that since I'm unstable, I need to be watched twenty four hours a day."

Now Inuyasha was confused. "What?"

"Inuyasha!"

He turned at the sound of Kikyo's voice and saw the real girl heading towards him wearing her usual white nurse dress fringed with light pink. "I called in to the labs but they won't have the tests done by Tuesday."

Inuyasha glanced back at the girl and realised his mistake. "That's weird..."

"Hi, I'm Kagome." Kagome stuck her hand out for him to shake and he noticed that she had an IV needle bandaged to it. "I'm a patient."

"Inuyasha..." he shook her hand. "I'm a... wait... this is too weird, are you two like sisters?"

Kikyo and Kagome glanced at each other, and then back at him. "Never met her before in my life." They both answered at the same time.

Inuyasha quickly backed away. "I think I'll take a rain check on lunch." He said before quickly making his getaway. He didn't need to deal with TWO bimbos around here.

"Nice hand, bet it hurts." Kikyo commented about Kagome's slightly swollen stung hand.

"Stung by a bee."

"Bee allergy?" Kikyo frowned with a slightly arrogant smile. "Surely that isn't cause enough to come to a PRIVATE hospital."

Kagome raised an eyebrow at her tone. "Bee sting? I'm not allergic to bees and I never will be. The acid inserted into the incision seemed to trigger a chemical reaction in the plasma of my blood stream which led to intrusions in the brain that caused black outs, short-term amnesia and comatose."

Kikyo stared at her. "What?"

"But you're only a nurse, I don't expect you to know that." Kagome smiled patronisingly.

Kikyo ignored Inuyasha's snort from close by where he was getting his ramen. Obviously his hunger had won out over that rain check. She blushed slightly and stomped off. It was an age old battle between nurses and doctors and she did NOT like that this girl who had showed up and showed her up in front of a doctor... Inuyasha no less...

Kagome watched her walk away and sighed. "Must have been something I said..."

She took her finally full cup of water and went to go fetch her meal, since she was going to make as much use of her free time as she could. Her new doctor wanted her back in her bed in a quarter of an hour so he could run more tests.

She sidled up beside Inuyasha and smiled. "Why the question about if I was going anywhere special tonight?"

"I thought you were, Kikyo, obviously." He shifted along the row slightly, away from her.

"Ooh... nurse love interests. Hm, how interesting." Kagome nodded. "And cliché."

The thought of him and Kikyo in love was... quite funny actually and he had to smirk.

"Then again, maybe not." Kagome eyed him. "So what are you in for?"

"In for?" he glanced down at her and quickly realised she thought he was a patient too. "No, I'm a doctor here."

Kagome did a double take before laughing. "No, seriously, what are you in for?"

He narrowed his eyes with a tight smile. "I'm in... for a long time... longer than I'd like thank you. So you can stick your nose out of my problems. Ok, sweetie?"

"Ooh... bitter..." Kagome checked her watch and sighed. "Well I better be going now, I have important people to see. Bye, doctor Inuyasha."

She grabbed a sandwich and trotted away to the elevator. Inuyasha just sniffed indignantly when she was gone and mimed her voice. "Bye, doctor!"

Great, now he was getting cheek off patients that weren't even his own...





^_^





"Inuya sha - could I have a word with you for a moment?"

He turned at the sound of his name being called, about to tell whoever it was to bog off because he was busy - before he realised it was Dr Hatsuyo, and telling him to bog off was a bad idea. Plus, he had to be the only man in the hospital that Inuyasha still respected. "Sure... but it better be quick."

The older doctor beckoned him forward and shut the door of the room he'd just come out of. "Now, you know I'm retiring in a few days and I want you to... what's the matter?"

Inuyasha was staring through the thin glass pane in the door to the hospital bed within. He opened his mouth but was lost for words. It was whatshername... Kagome or something... "What happened to her?"

"Oh - that's a new patient of mine. Strange resemblance to Miss Kikyo wouldn't you say?" the Doctor nodded.

"Scarily similar." Inuyasha frowned. "What's wrong with her? I met her this morning... she seemed fine back then..."

"Oh yes, she seems to have developed a disorder... she keeps slipping into comas, and each one seems longer than the last."

Inuyasha was speechless. The irritating, disrespectful, happy-go-lucky girl was now in a coma...

It was a moment before Inuyasha realised that Dr Hatsuyo was talking again. "Huh?"

"I said, will you do that for me?" Dr Hatsuyo asked again.

Inuyasha stared at him blankly before shrugging. "Sure, whatever."

"You're a star Inuyasha." Dr Hatsuyo clapped him on the shoulder before walking away.

Inuyasha continued to stare through the window in concern. He'd never really heard of a case like this. In between comas she seemed to be fine... but obviously there was something seriously wrong with her.

With a soft sigh he decided to put her to the back of his mind and go drop off those forms with Kikyo again. Being pressed for time, as he so often was, he walked along while filling in a couple as he went. He reached reception without looking up. "Kikyo would you-"

"Busy!" she said quickly as she dashed away.

Inuyasha looked up when she brushed past him and wondered where she had just gone. "What?"

"Inuyasha - I know YOU have that CD!" Miroku yelled as he stormed down the corridor towards him. Inuyasha just went back to marking down his forms, waiting for it to come.

Miroku frowned when Inuyasha didn't look up. "I've checked with everyone else and they don't like Tom Jones - so it has to be - shit!"

He slipped on the wet floor that Kikyo had been scrubbing since that morning (she had a hygiene fetish) and landed flat on his back. Inuyasha calmly noted the thud and stepped over him on his way back to his room. "Kikyo - you need to clean up again!" he called without looking up.

But even though he was busy marking things down on the form, walking, and thinking about how he was going to coax Sango into accepting Miroku as a surgeon... for some reason he couldn't get that comatose girl out of his head...











(A/N: So tired... need sleep...)