InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 28 Days ❯ Lost and Found ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: bored... bored... bored... what to do? Write a disclaimer? That's like being told to clean your room...

(A/N: I'm bored... so instead of revising - I think I'll do some writing ^_^)













< br>


28 Days

Lost and Found

















"Shippo's here." Kikyo informed Inuyasha when he arrived back at reception to drop off even more forms for her to file.

"So?"

"So I want you to take him around with you and get him talking." Kikyo pointed to the kid that was sat on the counter practically as eye level with everyone.

"No can do, I have a busy schedule and he ain't on it." Inuyasha pointed to his board.

Kikyo's response was to snatch it off him and scribble down something between two of his patients and hand it back. "Yes he is - right there, see?"

"You just wrote that!" Inuyasha snapped.

"Duh!" she rolled her eyes and picked up the phone that had begun to ring. "Hello Shikon Hospital, Sister Kikyo speaking...?"

Inuyasha sighed and collected some of the customary forms he had to fill in. "You ever gone on rounds, brat?"

Shippo just shook his head without speaking.

"It's boring. And do you know how many forms I have to fill in per patient?"

Another shake of the head.

"Too fucking many." Inuyasha growled as he sorted them in order.

Kikyo's eyebrows raised at the caller. "What am I wearing? Clothes... What are you wearing?"

Inuyasha pointed to Kikyo. "And this is what we call a nymphomaniac."

"Nymph-o-maniac..." Shippo echoed and grinned at Inuyasha.

"What, you want a cookie for that? Get real - and get down from there." He told the kid who quickly hopped off the counter.

Kikyo slammed down the phone and tapped her watch. "Get going or you'll be late!"

"Wow, who woke up on the wrong side of the cardboard box this morning, eh?" Inuyasha ducked another flying pen and briskly started walking in the direction of the patient wards. "Now listen, whelp, when I talk to patients, you don't ok?"

"Yeah, I'll have a real problem with keeping quiet." Shippo retorted.

Great, now he was getting even more cheek off patients - and little kids no less! As if his day could get any suckier.

"Just keep it quiet." Inuyasha grumbled as he stopped at one of the doors, he pushed it open wearily. "This one's Kagome Higurashi and she is..." he trailed off.

"Not in here?" Shippo finished for him.

"Oh shit." Inuyasha looked around and ran a hand over his face with a pained expression.

"Well this bites." Shippo commented. "Do all your patients try to escape first chance they get?"

"You know, just shut up and stay in here." Inuyasha pushed the smaller kid into the room and shut the door behind him before he could escape. Hopefully he'd be too short to reach the handle. That would teach him for being a wise ass.

Now... he had to go search for yet another patient. And this one was younger than the last one, so she'd probably be able to travel further away. Funnily enough, no matter how fast or slow, or how old or young the patient was... they always ended up in the same place.

"I though I might find you up here." Inuyasha said behind where Kagome sat eating a sandwich. She jumped guiltily and glanced over her shoulder.

"Is that you, Gabriel?" she feigned wonder at the sight of him. "Come to lead me to the gates of hell - I mean... heaven?"

"Not funny." He said sharply, getting a déjà vu feeling from this. He shook it off and sat down opposite her. She was still wearing her hospital night gown that fastened at the back and still had her IV needle in her hand, so at least she hadn't rebelled completely. "What are you doing up? I thought I told you to stay in bed."

"No you didn't." Kagome chewed her sandwich slowly. "I've only ever spoken to you like... for a whole sixty seconds - during which time you insulted my hair, clothes, and told me my doctor had retired so you'd be taking over. You haven't exactly been the bearer of good news to me, you know."

"You must have amnesia." Inuyasha shrugged. "I definitely told you to stay in bed."

"Are you sure you're a doctor?" Kagome leaned forward, narrowing her eyes critically. "How old are you exactly?"

"It's rude to ask someone that."

"It's also rude to comment on people's appearance." She smiled briefly. "So what's the hair? Do you dye it that colour or is it 'all natural'."

Great... now she was quoting him too.

"For your information - it's 'all natural'." He made quotation marks with his hands.

"Ok..." she said slowly. "That's just a little strange... so what else? Are you really like fifty years old? Is that why you're a doctor? And you have plastic surgery to cling desperately to your dying youth?"

"Who says it's dying?" Inuyasha sat up sharply. "My face is all natural too."

"And you had hair extensions too - is that because they make you live as a woman for a year before the final operation?"

He couldn't believe someone was actually out-insulting him here - a feat considered impossible according to Miroku. "Listen, girl-"

"So how old are you... really?" Kagome interrupted with a smile. "I'm not being rude, I swear. I'm just interested."

He watched her carefully a moment before answering. "Twenty."

Kagome frowned with a disbelieving smile. "Yeah right, and I'm a Christmas Turkey."

"Better roll out the garlic stuffing then."

"No seriously, how old are you?"

"I told you." He shrugged. "Is it that hard to believe?"

"Yes! Considering it takes six years in med. school to get a qualification and then you have to get recommendations and then they have to find work at a hospital which isn't exactly a walk in the park. You'd have to be eighteen to get into med. school in the first place... so you should be at least twenty four."

"Alright - you know too much." He said shortly. "That's way too smart for you to know."

Kagome smiled placidly. "So you really are fifty aren't you? You act like it."

Patience was wearing thin again, "How come you know all that crap?"

"Because I thought about being a doctor for a while." Kagome shrugged nonchalantly. "It sparked my interest, and when I was looking for med. Schools to attend, I came across a university that studied law."

"You mean... you're attending law school now?"

"Yeah."

Inuyasha quickly made a sign of a cross on his chest. Kagome scoffed. "What's wrong with that?"

"Lawyers..." Inuyasha shuddered. "They make my skin crawl..."

Kagome was stumped for a moment before catching on. "I get it... Question one of the doctor test: How do you not get sued for malpractice? I guess you get sued a lot."

"No, actually." Inuyasha folded his arms.

When he was having a conversation with a girl like this it was easy to forget she was a patient... and a dying patient at that. It suddenly occurred to him what he was supposed to be doing right then, and it wasn't flirting... no, no... not flirting... just talking...

"Come on, you have to get back to your room before the nurses discover you're gone and want me to pay for it." He stood up.

"Oh right, I forgot you doctors were scared of the nurses around her." She coughed behind her hand a cough that sounded suspiciously like 'wuss'.

"Not scared... just cautious..." he squared his shoulders. "You piss off a nurse and they quit. Quitting nurses mean less nurses. Less nurses means more work for doctors."

"Scaredy-cat." Kagome shrugged. "You seem like the type to bully a nurse."

"Like I said, bully a nurse and then you get bitten by blood-sucking lawyers like you. But you can steal stuff from them... that's allowed." He smiled pleasantly. "Now lets go."

"But I haven't finished my sandwich yet!" she protested.

"So? You shouldn't even be eating! I told you not to." He saw her open her mouth to protest again. "No - I KNOW I definitely told you not to eat."

"For a few hours!" Kagome shuffled along the bench, away from him. "I was starving and it's been way over twelve hours since I woke up!"

"You should have checked with me!"

"Well you weren't calling in on me! I thought you'd been hit by a runaway hospital bed or something - I wouldn't know." Kagome held her sandwich closer. "Besides, the only visitors I was getting were nurses and they kept coming in every five minutes through the night checking I was ok. See these bags?"

"They're hard to miss."

"I have them because I got absolutely no sleep last night." Kagome huffed. "You're lucky I didn't just runaway in the middle of the night to get forty winks."

"Whatever, will you just go back to bed. I don't like you wondering around - especially when I have important stuff to do around here." He folded his arms. "I don't have time to be continually chasing after patients."

"Hold on." she jammed the last of her sandwich into her mouth and gave him two thumbs up to show she was ready whilst chewing.

He shook his head slightly and rolled his eyes. "Get moving then."

Kagome stood up, not bothering to hurry on his account and followed him to the elevator. They stepped inside and the doors slid close. Kagome looked around. "Wow, this things enormous..."

"Has to be." He shrugged. "To allow beds inside."

"Oh yeah..." Kagome nodded, remembering the stuff she'd read in books and seen in medical dramas on TV. She glanced at her appearance in the mirror opposite and pulled a face. She looked paler than normal and her hair was looking unusual flat and less bouncy. Still... she looked acceptable.

"Like what you see?" Inuyasha smirked as she examined her reflection.

"I just look too cute in this shapeless gown!" Kagome chided before giving him a flat look. "When do I get my normal clothes back?"

"When you stop slipping in and out of comas." He replied as the doors opened.

She followed him until they reached her room and opened the door. "Oops - I thought this was my room." She said when she saw a small boy sitting on her bed.

"No, it is." Inuyasha pushed her inside. "Shippo - get you ass off that bed and get out here!"

"You took your sweet time!" Shippo grouched.

"I'll drop by later, ok?" Inuyasha told her before ushering Shippo away with him.

Kagome sighed and sat on the bed to dangle her legs over the side. "They always say that... but they never call you up..."





^_^





"What are you doing?"

"Work."

"What are you doing now?"

"Work." Inuyasha deadpanned again.

"What about now?"

"Work."

"What are you doing?"

Inuyasha sighed. "running tests on Kagome's blood."

"What are you doing?"

"Stabbing small children and chopping them up with a cleaver to distribute to third world countries that are VERY hungry..." Inuyasha slanted a glare at Shippo. "Don't you ever shut up?"

"Sure I do!" Shippo pretended to zip his lips. "See, I'm shutting up right now. You won't hear a peep out of me! I can be quiet when I want. See?"

Inuyasha just clenched his jaw and continued to drop small amounts of Kagome's blood onto glass slides and adding chemicals. He repeated this for what seemed the seventy-eighth time and darted Shippo a glare before sliding the blood under a microscope lens.

With a sigh he looked in the top and squinted as he waited for something the happen. He could see the virus and he could see the chemical compound solution he'd added... nothing was happening. They were all just swimming around like they were at the swimming baths.

"This is BORING!" Shippo suddenly yelled.

Inuyasha slammed a fist down on the table, about to yell, when he noticed Miroku was working across the table from him, the pen pot ready and waiting by his side. Inuyasha turned that frown upside down and rapped his fingers against the table. "Shippo... dear boy?"

"Can we do something else? You've been sitting on your ass for an hour and I am bored stiff!"

That was nothing compared to how Inuyasha's back felt right then. He was yet to find some sort of treatment that would cure Kagome's virus... but so far it wasn't looking very promising. He'd tried almost every chemical in the lab and there was still no sign of a cure.

"Go play then." Inuyasha told Shippo with a hint of annoyance.

"With what?"

"I don't know... cyanide?" Inuyasha shrugged as he absently swished a bottle of Xycrophobin to ready it for use. "Either that or a pellet gun..."

"Don't see any." Shippo promptly dropped to the floor and started rolling back and forth. Well it seemed to keep him amused so Inuyasha left him to it.

Miroku looked up from where he was doing a crossword puzzle. "Shouldn't you be using gloves?"

"Yeah." Inuyasha shrugged, ignoring his implied warning.

"Don't want to catch that nasty virus do you?"

"Depends... maybe it'll give me added incentive to find a cure if I do." Inuyasha replied, now beginning to bounce the bottle from hand to hand. "You seen Sango yet?"

"She didn't come in for her appointment." Miroku said, before suddenly snapping his fingers. "That reminds me - she said you snapped at her at least twice during her examination - that means..." he shoved the half full pot forward with a jangle.

"You have got to be kidding me..." Inuyasha groaned.

"Two hundred Yen please."

Inuyasha grumbled and forked out two coins. "This better be going to the drowning kittens or orphans or whatever..."

"Sure..." Miroku wasn't bothered which way or another, meaning this money was hopping straight from Inuyasha's pocket to Miroku's.

Inuyasha started to make another slide with a tiny drop of Kagome's blood when Shippo started to disturb him again. "And so he awakens... from a six year long coma... to find... he hasn't aged a day."

Inuyasha looked down slowly at Shippo who was lying stock still on the floor with his eyes closed and doing his own narration. Slowly Shippo sat up and looked around as if in confusion. "Who am I? Where am I?"

"Oh my god..." Inuyasha's hand went to cover his eyes.

Shippo's commentary went on. "A fifteen year old... trapped within the body of a nine year old... without realising it." He got up and walking over to one of the glass cabinets to see his reflection. "Is that my face?"

"Hey!" Miroku perked up. "I used to play the coma game too!"

Shippo jumped around. "Isn't it cool?"

Inuyasha was doing his best to ignore those two morons now and had carefully added the Xycrophobin to the blood to slide it under the microscope. He stared at the reaction for a moment before new movement caught his eye. The Xycrophobin was moving to absorb the virus around the red blood cells... surrounding it and trapping it inside its own walls.

"I got it!" he suddenly yelled out.

Very suddenly the slide disappeared from view and he sat back, blinking, wondering where the heck it had gone.

"What have you got?" Shippo said, eyeing the slide critically. "I hope it's not contagious..."

"Gimme that!" Inuyasha swiped it off him before brandishing it before Miroku. "Am I a genius or am I a genius?"

"You found a cure?" Miroku looked slightly amazed.

"Maybe."

"Maybe?" Miroku echoed.

"I'm not sure yet, but it seems to have stopped the virus in it's tracks..."

There was a tinkling sound of smashing glass and they both looked up to see Shippo had dropped two beakers of interestingly coloured liquids on the floor. "Oops."

Inuyasha recognised them at once. "Oh you didn't!"

The two chemicals ran together...





^_^





" You go home - and you start TALKING to your mother ok?" Inuyasha growled as he continued to try and wipe all the black smoke off his face and hair. "I don't ever want to see you back at this hospital unless its for a vasectomy, got that?"

"Vasectomy... got it." Shippo continued to scrub his own face of the black smoke caused by the little accident in the lab. He suddenly stopped and looked thoughtful. "Although..."

"What?" Inuyasha scowled at him.

"Don't I get something for all my trouble?"

"No."

"Oh come on!" Shippo pleaded. "I stayed at hospital all day and I don't get a souvenir?"

"No."

"How about your stethoscope?"

"No!" Inuyasha fingered his stethoscope fondly. "That's my doctor thing - you can't have it!"

"Oh..." Shippo bunched his fists. "You gotta give me somethin or... or... or - I won't talk to mom!"

"Oh you'll talk!" Inuyasha raised a menacing fist.

"No I won't! It's not hard to keep quiet, ya know." Shippo scowled. "Give me chocolate!"

"No."

"Someone's spleen?"

"God, no!"

"Oh come on!" Shippo squealed. "You gotta give me something or I'll be back tomorrow."

Inuyasha stiffened.

"I'll take your cool doctor pen." Shippo said casually.

"My pen?" he looked down at his pen and frowned. "But it's my favourite..."

"Fine... keep the damn pen... and I'll be back tomorrow." Shippo folded his arms.

Inuyasha chewed his lip before growling and dropped it into Shippo's hands. "Fine! Now get lost and don't come back!"

Shippo happily skipped off through the door to the examination room the same moment Kikyo entered. She watched the boy skip off and looked up accusingly at Inuyasha. "Did you just give him my pen?"











(A/N: Now I'm back to being bored...)