InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards - Sesshoumaru and Kagome ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Shard # ~ Weapon
 
Title: The Beginning
Pairing: Sesshoumaru/Kagome
Rating: PG
Squicks: None
Summary: This is where my little series of stories begins. Where Kagome met Sesshoumaru, and this time he didn't try to kill her.
 
 
 
Ah, the hot springs was probably one of the world's best innovations, natural though they were, Kagome thought as she relaxed against the rocks at the edge of said spring. It had been a while since they had felt safe enough to linger in any one place for a while.
 
Her muscles had just begun to warm up when a twinge of shouki became her only warning before Sango abruptly stood from the water. her one arm covered her chest as the other hand flexed in what seemed to be a desire to have hold of her Hiraikoutsu. Or at least her katana.
 
Kagome swallowed, closing her eyes as she turned her head, opening them upon the still figure of Sesshoumaru. A thrill of fear shot up her spine as her eyes followed the line of his figure, resting briefly on the two swords at his hip. Tenseiga and Toukijin. If death had been his wish, Kagome figured in this moment, the deadly grip of his killing sword would be graced with the palm of his clawed, marked hand. Her eyes continued northward to his empty sleeve - a twinge of regret there - though not too much as he had been trying to kill them at that time. Finally her gaze rested upon the long silver hair he shared with his brother and the handsome stone face that belied little. His eyes were quiet, void of murderous intent. If he hadn't tried to kill them numerous times before, she could be attracted to him. That kind of action tended to color what one felt for someone else. The image of her arm in Sesshoumaru's, facing Inuyasha, and saying “I'm sorry, Inuyasha, but I'm with Sesshoumaru now,” flashed through her mind. She suppressed a giggle at what Inuyasha's reaction would be.
 
She shook her head to clear her thoughts on the imagined look upon Inuyasha's face with its amusing characteristics and turned in the water to face the youkai lord. “Sango.”
 
The taijiya spared a glance for her friend, before returning her eyes to the youkai lord.
 
“Please. I do not believe he is here to do us harm.” Kagome flicked her gaze from Sessoumaru back to Sango. “Besides, the last few times we have run into him, he hasn't tried to kill us either.”
 
“But still he is a dangerous foe. This could be a trap.” The taijiya, undressed as she was, faltered not in her words.
 
“It is a healthy respect for this Sesshoumaru that causes those words.” His noble voice was filled by neither malice, nor hate. It was even toned and hinted at nothing. “I have merely come to speak with the miko.”
 
Kagome felt a certain confusion until she realized he meant her, not Kikyou. She was still getting used to being considered a priestess of sorts. Sango's own puzzled look met hers and they both looked back at the lord.
 
Only with the miko.”
 
Sango's features crinkled into a look of anger that directed itself at the youkai. “I will not leave her in your presence to do what you will.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru understands this, however I intend no harm to reach your friend. I merely wish to speak with her.”
 
“My name is Kagome. Let's start with that, eh?” she interspersed into their exchange.
 
A regal eyebrow raised elegantly at this comment. “Kagome?”
 
She nodded at him, her eyes bright. “Mmhmm. And this is Sango.”
 
His gaze slid over to touch on the taijiya's unrelenting stance. “Go, as I wish to speak with Kagome in private. I do not intend her harm. You have my word.”
 
The taijiya waded to shore and picked up her clothing, stopped just to the side of the inuyoukai. “Do her harm, whether you give your word or not, and I will hunt you down.”
 
“I would expect nothing less.” Their eyes met and she turned and walked into the woods. He felt respect for the taijiya as she faded into the trees. He had no doubts that she would do just that if he truly meant the miko harm. But he wasn't here as an enemy, at least not anymore.
 
Kagome, watching this exchange, felt a shiver of apprehension. Not of sexual nature, although that threat did happen to oddly occur to her, but more she was afraid of being alone with him. He was deadly and she had been in this presence before, sheltered by Tessaiga and the mostly rude, but ultimately protective hanyou attached to its hilt.
 
She then stood and waded her own way to the shore, stooping to gather her clothes.
 
“May I at least get dressed before we speak?”
 
The slight nod of his head was her only indication that she could. She moved off into the trees, unaware that golden eyes traced her steps.
 
Not a time to think of how lovely her legs are ~ Being youkai didn't mean that Sesshoumaru was a eunuch in this instance. Because her legs, and everything else he glimpsed through bored eyes, was quite enticing. It was a pity that she was human, and if Inuyasha's pissing contests were any indication, she was close to, if not already, his. Mentally he shrugged, listening intently upon the girl's whereabouts, making certain she wouldn't just run to the half-breed runt. Then it would be another while before he could even approach the group again if he couldn't stop her.
 
She came from behind the closest copse of trees to the spring, straightening her odd clothing, which still gave him a view of those, er, legs. Her hair had been loosened from its knot so that the raven waves fell to her shoulders. Her eyes were watching him cautiously as she approached, brightly curious.
 
“Okay, what is it that you wished to talk about?”
 
He lifted an elegant eyebrow at her. “You are blunt.”
 
“I figure it's better than just staring at you waiting for you to speak.”
 
“Hmm.” Was his answer. “Since we have come to a point where our goals are similar in their end, I have come to request an alliance.”
 
“Alliance?” Kagome felt her own eyebrows lift up of their own accord at the distinct surprise she felt within her.
 
His golden eyes glared at her repetition of his words. She gave a weak smile and spoke again, “Why talk to me about it? Miroku, or” she cleared her throat, “Inuyasha would be who you should speak with.”
 
“Because they are just the active force behind the one that really leads this endeavor: You. Or rather the only one who wouldn't attack me in the first instant I arrived.”
 
She looked at him with a strange sort of wonderment in her eyes as she caught the small grimace of indignation at that thought cross the youkai's features.. He considered her to be the leader, or one of them? It was almost flattering, considering that he had tried to kill her a couple of times. Even more so that now he considered an alliance with her to be something of a good thing. “Um, okay. But I have no idea how to deal with this. What is it that you want?”
 
He looked away into the trees on the opposite side of the springs, “This Sesshoumaru wishes to travel with you and the others. This in exchange for having my talents on your side, as opposed to constantly wasting strength battling against you.”
 
Kagome had a hint as to the real reason why he sought her out as his gaze had not met hers. The little girl she had seen prancing by the youkai's side flirted through her mind. She chose to push for the answer she was looking for. “Oh. Okay. You have never done so before, so why now?”
 
The lord's eyes closed for a moment and she could have sworn she saw him swallow. “It is also for protection of my charge. The past few events have shown me that the distraction of fighting against our common enemy has allowed for him to gain access to and take, that which needs to be protected, from me.”
 
The light in her head that had clicked on at his initial request burned brighter with these words. He wanted additional protection for Rin. He was willing to seek help for the little girl. Funny how he had seemed the type of guy, okay, youkai, who neither accepted nor sought any help from anyone. This was the reason why he sought her alone. Inuyasha would use this to his advantage, thus increasing the chance that Sesshoumaru might plunge his poison claws into him again in annoyance. Miroku didn't think so well of the lord either for using the hive against him, and Sango just plain didn't trust him because of who he was. She was the only one who might agree to this, who might see the advantages without prejudice. She was the one who could forgive others their past transgressions and accept their word for what it was. Also, she could be the one to convince the others to trust this agreement. They trusted her implicitly.
 
“But you do not wish for that part to be well-known among the far more, um” she searched for the right words, “impulsive members?”
 
His head nodded in affirmation.
 
“Well, as long as you promise not to hurt anyone of us, and you're willing to help us against Naraku, then I don't see why you can't.”
 
His next words were strained, and when she heard them, she realized he wasn't used to speaking this frankly about this nature of subject, or any subject. Maybe he wasn't so evil after all. Just, um, stoic, she supposed. If anyone got in his way, his emotions weren't apart of the decision making process. He would get the offending persons out of the way with no thought as to who they were to him. The complete opposite of Inuyasha, in which everything he did was influenced by his emotions. The only exception to this seemed to be that happy little girl.
 
“Thank you. It will be a weight off my mind if there are more who look out for Rin.”
 
“I'm sure.”
 
“And of Inuyasha's reaction, what is it that you will do? We both know very well that he is the type to act before understanding the situation.”
 
She `hm'ed a moment and replied, “I'm reminded of a certain youkai who has been known to do the same.”
 
His golden eyes went molten hot.
 
Kagome found she wasn't quite as afraid of him as she had been. “I'll take care of it.”
 
He gave her a look that said he doubted she could as his eyes cooled. She gave him one in return that said “Trust me.”
 
***
 
Inuyasha's reaction to Sesshoumaru entering the camp was much like she expected it to be. As much as she loved him, he was incredibly predictable and sometimes she wished for him to grow up and perhaps be a little like his older brother. She rolled her eyes as his shout echoed about them.
 
“What the hell is that bastard doing here?”
 
“Since I am not the bastard here, I would refrain from saying it as so and instead, look towards your own form of birth.”
 
“YEARGGGGHHH!” Inuyasha pulled Tessaiga from its sheath and brandished it in front of him. “You will pay for that!”
 
The youkai lord looked her way as if to say `see why I sought you out alone?' and she shrugged in reply, shaking her head.
 
Sango and Miroku had stood, and poor Shippou was trying to figure out if he should run to Kagome even with the inuyoukai next to her within reaching distance, or to cower behind Miroku. In the end, the call to his surrogate sister's side won out and he bounced two or three times before yelling, “KAGOME!” and landing in her open arms. It also helped that Kagome was calm and unalarmed by the proximity of the youkai lord.
 
“Shippou!” Kagome enfolded her arms about the little kit.
 
“When Sango came alone, we were worried, but she told us that you were alright when she left.” A hint of a tear appeared in his eyes as he looked into her face. He really had been worried. He was always worried. Kagome couldn't really blame him, considered his past.
 
“She was right. I am fine.” She murmured as he buried into her embrace.
 
Sesshoumaru mulled over this reunion of sorts and mentally nodded his head. Yes. This was the place where Rin would be safe. In the company of this woman-child who caused a visible relaxation among the members of the group, even Inuyasha, pigheaded as he was, had softened before he realized who had come back with her.
 
When everyone continued to ignore Inuyasha while they stared at Sesshoumaru acting non-threatening, his face became a brighter shade of red, which coincidentally started to match his clothing. “DO YOU NOT REMEMBER THAT HE HAS TRIED TO KILL US BEFORE?”
 
Sesshoumaru looked back at his indignant half-brother, “ `Tried' being the operative word in that question. If I had truly wished your demise at anytime, it would not have been late in coming.”
 
Kagome shook her head again at Inuyasha. “Sesshoumaru has decided to join us in an alliance against Naraku.”
 
“KEH! HE JUST WANTS MY SWORD!”
 
Miroku coughed. Kagome chose to ignore him.

Since the details as to Sesshoumaru's real reason for joining with them was between Kagome and himself, no one could really blame Inuyasha's obsession with his brother wanting his weapon.
 
Again Sesshoumaru replied with an insult, “No, you fool. This Sesshoumaru has no need for your pathetic heirloom.”
 
Kagome began to suspect that although the youkai was frequently annoyed by his half-brother's attempts at defeating him, he secretly enjoyed egging him on. It was sort of how she treated Souta sometimes. Hmmm. Again the thought occurred that there was more to him than they had ever been privy to see.
 
“PATHETIC!? WHY YOU BASTARD!” Inuyasha began running towards the stoic youkai whose hand had not reached, or even hinted at reaching, for the hilt of Toukijin. He merely flicked his eyes to meet Kagome's and by their secret agreement, she nodded. She had promised that she would take care of Inuyasha. She tried to remember if Sesshoumaru had ever seen this before.
 
“OSUWARI!”
 
“GAH! ! !”
 
Sango, Miroku and Shippou noticed with some trepidation and perhaps a bit of shock thrown in at the tiny smile of amusement that graced the lord's features for that moment that Inuyasha ate dirt. Literally.
 
Sesshoumaru reflected for a moment on how wonderful this relationship might become as he met Kagome's gaze, her eyes bright as they always seemed to be with mischievousness. A pale blaze of warning flashed across his senses as he gazed at the girl's smiling face: things were never going to be the same ever again.