InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 500 years of wrongs ❯ Waking ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves."
--William Shakespeare

Waking

By Melissa Spoula

Time had gone by slowly. Each day that past brought a uniquely new hell. It had been five hundred years since the decisive battle and he was amazed he had managed to live long enough to keep the promise he made. It had been his determination to fulfill his task that had kept him alive. If he did his job correctly, there was a good chance things could be set right again. At least that was what he hoped. Everything hinged on a spell cast five hundred years in the past.

An old demon sat alone in a barren filed. The ground dry and cracked still showed scars of the battle that had taken place here. This was where it all started, the turning point at which everything had gone wrong. If the information he had was correct, he wouldn't be alone for much longer.

Night fell and he readied himself for what ever might happen. All of a suddenly there was a flash of light and four bodies were unceremoniously dropped to the ground. He could hardly believe his eyes. There in front of him lay Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, and Shippo. He silently gave thinks to the woman responsible for delivering what may be the world's last hope for salvation. He began the laboring task of dragging each unconscious body away form the open field and into the cover of the forest. Once he had the four grouped together all that was left to do was wait until they came about and tell them what had happened since they last woke. This would be no easy task even with five hundred years of preparation behind him. His eyes fell on the hanyou and he waited.

Inuyasha slowly came to. He was lying in front of a small fire, around him lay the others. The images of the battle found their way into his slowly waking mind and he thought they must have been a dream. Slowly sitting up he looked around him self for Kagome. When he found no trace of her, not even her scent, panic gripped his heart.

"She's not here." Inuyasha turned to find an old, gray haired wolf demon sitting behind him staring off into the sky. He jumped to his feet ready to confront the demon when recognition slowly took place. His mind could not believe what his eyes and nose were telling him, but the scent was unmistakable. "Koga? Is that you?" Koga turned his gaze form the sky and looked at the hanyou. "Yes, and it's good to see you Inuyasha." Inuyasha slowly approached the old wolf. "What in the hell happened to you? You look like your…..a….." Koga smiled and finished his sentence for him. "Like I'm a withered old man?"

Behind them Miroku and the others were beginning to wake. Inuyasha however couldn't take his eyes off Koga. The last time he saw him, Koga had been completely healthy and normal. Hell, he even kicked his ass in the last fight they were in. Now he looked like he was old enough to be Inuyasha's great grandfather.

Sango was the first to speak "Inuyasha what happened?" Miroku was rubbing his injured head. "Did we defeat Naraku?" Shippo looked worriedly around him for Kagome. "Inuyasha where is Kagome?" The kit's voice brought back the first concern he had when he woke up. Koga shifted on his rock and prepared himself to address the group. "Kagome's not here. Inuyasha please sit down I have much to tell you." reluctantly Inuyasha did as he was asked.

Sango stared at the wolf demon before her. Something told her she knew who this was, but for the life of her she couldn't remember him. "How did we get here? The last thing I remember is being in Naraku's death grip." Inuyasha remembered the same thing. He also remembered that Kagome had taken the shikon jewel into her self. "Tell me what happened Koga."

At first Miroku thought Inuyasha had been hit in the head to hard. "Koga? Inuyasha how could this be Koga?" Koga raised his hand to stop the questioning. "Please everyone let me explain. Yes I am the Koga you all knew however I am five hundred years older then the last time you saw me." Shippo leapt into Inuyasha's shoulder. "I don't care who you are, where is Kagome?" Koga shook his head, this was going to be very hard indeed. "Quiet kit and let me finish. During the battle with Naraku the four of you were placed in a barrier that was slowly crushing the life out of you. Kagome, acting on instructions form the shikon no tama, placed the jewel inside of her heart."

Inuyasha slammed his fist into the ground. "I know this! Where the fuck is she?" Koga now remembered why he hated the mutt so long ago, damn guy had no patience. "I'm getting to that. There was no way to stop the barrier, but the jewel knew of a spell that would get you out of it. However the spell had certain consequences. It was essentially a time travel spell. Kagome needed to get you all to safety so she chose the only time she know of that was safe. She sent you to her time five hundred years into the future." Koga paused expecting a barrage of questions. However everyone seemed too shocked to ask.

Koga continued. "Now let me tell you what happened after she sent you away. Kagome used all of her energy to fight Naraku. She beat him down pretty good, at least good enough for her to escape him. That's when she came to me. Using the power of the jewel she erected a force filed around my people's home. Naraku was still badly injured and the force field kept him at bay for some time. We knew we needed to finish Naraku off. So we gathered all of the wolf tribes together and began planing an attack. While we were planing Naraku had gathered together his own army which he would send to attack us on a regular basis. Kagome was the only thing that kept us safe and bought us time to plan our attacks. Kagome was very powerful because of the shikno jewel. However because of her condition we were unable to attack right away."

"What condition?" Sango questioned. Koga kept his eyes on Inuyasha knowing he would take this news completely the wrong way. "Kagome was pregnant, we had to wait until she gave birth before we could attack." As soon as he said that Inuyasha was at his throat. "You fucking bastard!" Miroku jumped up and did his best to restrain the hanyou. "She was pregnant when she came to me Inuyasha. The children were yours."

That shut him up. Inuyasha stopped struggling with Miroku and sunk down to his knees once again speechless. Koga settle himself down again. "Just to shut you up there was noting between my self and Kagome. I may have taken your place in protecting her but I couldn't take your place in her heart. Now as I was saying, Kagome was pregnant and as her pregnancy progressed her body focused more of her energy towards the children. The force filed that protected us became weaker, and Kagome couldn't use her powers for very long before she would give out with exhaustion. The night Kagome went into labor she didn't even have enough power to keep the force filed up. When it fell Naraku attacked us with an army ten times greater then anything we had. He completely destroyed my pack and several other clans. Our fighters were able to keep him at bay long enough for the children to be born. Kagome had two children. Twins, a boy and a girl. Kagome and I were able to escape during the battle but Naraku soon found us. I fought him as long as I could but in the end he won. Naraku was able to subdue Kagome. He placed some kind of bonds on her so she couldn't use her powers against him. Then he took the children and left me for dead. That was the last time I saw Kagome."

Inuyasha felt tears well up in his eyes. He hadn't known Kagome was pregnant and now in the same moment he learned he had children he also found out they were dead. Koga could see the worry on the hanyou's face. He knew what he was going to say next would only make things worse. " I survived the attack with the help of someone who I had thought was on Naraku's side. While she nursed me back to health she keep me informed of what had happened to Kagome and the children. Naraku gave Kagome two choices one, rule at his side, or two, death. Of course she refused him and in doing so chose death, and that was when something very interesting happened. Naraku did kill her, she lay dead for a few minutes and then began breathing again. The shikon jewel in her heart kept her alive. The only way to kill her would be to take the jewel from her. Naraku could not do that because anyone with even the smallest bit of evil in them would be repelled. No one unpure could touch her. Since there was no way to get rid of her he did the only thing he could. He hid her away. Not even my informant could tell me where she was, only Naraku knows.

The children however were different. Because Kagome had the complete shikon no tama in her while she was pregnant with them, Naraku knew the children would be very powerful when they grew up. Since Naraku could no longer have the shikon jewel itself, the children were the next best thing."

While Koga had been talking Inuyasha felt a new fear forming in the pit of his stomach. "Please don't say what I think you're going to say." Inuyasha looked pleadingly at the wolf. Koga could only look down at him with pity and he finished the story. "Naraku raised the children to think they were his own. When they were old enough, they did become very powerful fighters. With their help, Naraku now controls the entire world."