InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bad Influences ❯ Bat Influence # Twenty Eight: Staying Out All Night ( Chapter 28 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N

 

I always wanted to finish this story. I don’t even know if anyone is still interested, given that I haven’t updated this story for the past seven years, but I promised myself I would finish this story and answer a few questions and here it is. It may be a little rushed, but here is, the final chapter for Bad Influences.

 

If anyone is new to this story, I hope you enjoy it.

 

Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha, nor will I take credit for Romiko Takahashi’s genius.   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Influence # Twenty-Eight: Staying Out All Night

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kagome looked out her window, watching Inuyasha walk with his brother across the front of the shine and trying not to feel annoyed that he was leaving just as he was about to tell her something. She tried to remember, if there was a point in time when Inuyasha mentioned he had a brother. Obviously he wasn't very close to his family, which to Kagome was a strange thing. Sure, she didn't get alone with her brother sometimes, but Kagome would never be as aggressive to Souta as Inuyasha was to Sessoumaru.

 

She wondered what Inuyasha's father had to talk about. Maybe he was concerned that his son was out on his own while there was an increase in gang violence in the city. What happened at school did shake up most of the parents after all. Or maybe it had something to do with the grave that she had seen Inuyasha visit a few days ago. Izayoi Takahashi, Kagome thought, Inuyasha's mother. Kagome just hoped that Inuyasha would let her visit him at his family home. The last time she was there, he didn't seem to willing to stay. That was the same day they had their first date.

 

Kagome covered her eyes. Despite the fact that she had been annoyed at Inuyasha for the better part of a week, she realized she had missed him. Missed bickering playfully with him especially. He had been gloomy for days, and he wouldn’t tell her why. Was that what he had wanted to say before his brother interrupted them? Or did it have something to do with the grave he visited a few days ago.

 

Maybe it was a bit unfair to expect him to tell her everything, Kagome thought. But then again, how could she comfort him if he didn't? Sitting on her bed, staring at her clock didn't give her an answer and she fell asleep with confusion still lingering in her dreams.   

 

Inuyasha was at school the next day but he was mostly quiet again.  Kagome wondered if something had happened between him and his father, but had no time to really ruminate on what was going on in his life. She should have expected that school would be busy after a full day of being closed. There were extra lessons and way more responsibilities added to her list.

 

After a few hours, Kagome and the counsel were sitting through a short lesson on school safety. Report any suspicious behavior to an adult immediately, it is your duty as student counsel president to show a good example of safety protocols, and blah blah blah. Kagome had gone through the whole speech before. After what had happened at the school, it made sense that the teachers wanted to make sure it never happened again, but by the time they were done, it was late in the afternoon and Kagome hadn’t had the chance to speak to her friends, or even see her teammates all day.

 

Sango met Kagome near the front of the building, standing next to Inuyasha, who was stiff as an icicle. Kagome tilted her head at him.

 

"He's been like that since I got down here," Sango explained.

 

"Are you okay?" Kagome tapped him on the shoulder.

 

Rather then responding, Inuyasha clenched his teeth. "I can't believe they brought that here."

 

He pointed. Across the street from the school, perfectly parked, was a black limousine. Anyone within twenty feet of the car took a moment to stare at it with awe. Excited whispers about questioned who the car was for and Kagome was already overhearing some outlandish theories.

 

Inuyasha nudged her shoulder. "Only my old man and my shithead brother would ride in that."

 

"You're not going to go meet them?"

 

"Hell no."

 

With a grunt, Inuyasha turned his heel and went straight into the school. He practically bulldozed his way though the building, bumping shoulders, flipping off anyone that would dare to talk back, leaving Kagome and Sango to both apologize for him and snap at him for his bad attitude, which Inuyasha completely ignored. Figured, Kagome thought. It wasn’t until they were out on the other side of the school when Inuyasha stopped.

 

They were at the very edge of the campus, near the sports fields on the other side of the block. Inuyasha took one look at the chain link fence, nodded and then began to climb.

 

"You're seriously running away," Sango said incredulously.

 

"Yep." Inuyasha dropped to the ground on the other side of the gate. "They'll just keep me under house arrest until school tomorrow."

 

He did not even stop to say goodbye once his feet were on the ground. Kagome saw him dash away before she could even try to change his mind. With a headshake, she and Sango walked home. And that was how it was for the next few days. Inuyasha would come to school, pay perfect attention and then run the second the limousine appeared.

 

The forth day, something different happened. In the middle of a long-winded history speech that was making Kagome fall asleep, she had already studied feudal era Japan for fun, the door to the room was opened without a knock. The administrator at the door was red-faced and sweating. After a few gulps, for air or nervousness, no one could really tell, he summoned Kagome to go with him.

 

Every nerve ending in her skin shot fire. Kagome’s head swam with sudden images of Souta and the memory of her father’s death clawed its way to the surface. Immediately, worries for her family were questions ready to burst out of her mouth but she kept her cool long enough to leave the class without shaking with anxiety.

 

Once out of the room, Kagome followed the man with a slew of worries. “Did something happen to my family? Is everyone all right?”

 

“No. It’s not your family, but I want you to swear to be on your best behavior.”

 

Completely confused, yet worried, all she could do was nod. The administrator took her to his office, but, when he opened the door, Kagome almost wished she were back in her class, falling asleep.

 

Sesshoumaru was sitting down in one of the seats. Mrs. Higurashi was sitting in the other. The administrator introduced Kagome and then ran out the room as though terrified. Rather then wait out the awkward silence, Sesshoumaru gestured for Kagome to sit down at the empty chair next to her mother.

 

He sat with his legs crossed, completely at ease in his three-piece suit, with his hands folded in her lap. Once Kagome sat, he began speaking without preamble.

 

“I apologize for pulling you out of class, but since my brother is so keen on avoiding me and our father, I felt the urgent need to get the opinion of someone he’s close to.” He nodded to Mrs. Higurashi. “Thank you for helping me.”

 

“Not at all. Inuyasha is a wonderful boy. I wish to assist in any way I can.”

 

The briefest of eyebrow movements appeared on Sesshoumaru’s forehead at the word “wonderful” but his expression was back to professional in an instant, leaving Kagome to wonder how Sesshoumaru felt about Inuyasha. Was their hostility mutual? If so then why, she thought. She never got the chance to ask Sesshoumaru.

 

Inuyasha burst into the room. He took one look at Sesshoumaru and scowled so hard Kagome was afraid his face would stay that way.


“I knew it! Son of a bitch, you had to go and get Kagome involved in this too?”

 

Sesshoumaru didn’t bat an eye at his brother’s outburst, but whoever was behind Inuyasha did. Kagome heard several faculty voices speaking at once.

 

“You can’t just up and leave class and barge in there!”

 

Inuyasha turned his head. “Hey, you, now that you know just what a rich and powerful family I’m from, why don’t you back the fuck off?”

 

Sesshoumaru stood, griped Inuyasha’s wrist and pulled him into the room. Giving a few placating words to the staff, he closed the door once again. Despite the warm, natural light and the fresh air that wafted in from the open windows, Kagome felt as though their meeting room had suddenly become dark as night. She peeked at her mother, and was unsure if the calm face that Mrs. Higurashi wore was genuine, or a façade for the anger she knew her mother could bubble underneath the surface.    

 

Inuyasha stood by the window, almost as though he wanted a quick escape route. With his arms crossed, and his voice lowered, he hissed. “Did the old man send you again?”

 

“Be grateful that I am the one here. Father was about to come himself. Imagine how your school would look with press at every exit? Now, are you going to listen?”

 

“What is this? An intervention?”

 

“Perhaps.”

 

“On what grounds?” Inuyasha began counting off on his fingers. “I haven’t gotten into any trouble, I’m haven’t been drinking, I’m going to all my classes. What will it take for you and the old man to leave me alone?”

 

“You could try coming home after school.”

 

“Like hell I’ll stay in that house with the two of you there. I’m rather sandpaper my own balls.”

 

If it weren’t for respect for her mother and genuine curiosity, Kagome would have fled from the room. Inuyasha had never acted rude in front of her family, at least not purposefully.  It was one thing to be so brazen in class, but in front of her parents was a whole other story. Worse, Mrs. Higurashi did not seem keen on leaving, even though Kagome had pulled her shirt up to her eyes.

 

With a tiny voice, she interrupted the argument. “Um, Mr. Sesshoumaru, why am I here?”

 

When he looked at her, she felt like an ant under a magnifying glass, even though his words were nothing short of polite.

 

“I had been hoping that you would give me some insight about my foolish brother’s day to day life, and perhaps help me convince him to act more responsibly, but it seems like a moot point when he has to go around sullying the Taisho name with his childish behavior.”

 

Inuyasha stuck out his tongue.

 

Mrs. Higurashi stood and slapped Inuyasha lightly on the arm.

 

“Now that’s no way to treat your brother is it?”

 

For the first time since entering the room, Inuyasha noticed her, and the redness from his anger changed from rosy color to a fiery red that seemed to engulf his whole face. 

 

“But, you,” Inuyasha sputtered as tough his tongue suddenly didn’t know how to work properly. He hung his head. “You don’t know him like I do. He’s-”

 

“Still family,” Mrs. Higurashi interrupted, “you owe it to him to be civil at the very least.”

 

With a deep breath, Inuyasha sat down on the windowsill, looking everywhere but into the room. “Only for you,” he grumbled.

 

Kagome wished she had the power to make him behave half as well as her mother did. The room settled into a momentary silence as Mrs. Higurashi faced Sesshoumaru and apologized. Something other then cold calculation crossed his face. Kagome was amazed that such a serious man could look so smug with a single raise of his eyebrows.

 

“Don’t apologize for him, Mrs. Higurashi. I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless.”

 

“You must understand. He’s done quite a bit for my boy Souta, and he spends a lot of time helping Kagome with her math. Don’t judge him too harshly on one outburst.”

 

Never had Kagome wanted to stand up to and hug her mom so tight and, by the stunned look on his face, she could tell Inuyasha wanted to do the same. Still, it didn’t seem as though Sesshoumaru was swayed.

 

“It’s nice to hear he can do something other then get into fights.”

 

“If you were home for more then on week at a time, you would know that I don’t get into brawls on a daily basis.”

 

“From now on, you are to return home everyday after school. Don’t make me go to even more extreme lengths. You should know better after what happened five years ago.”

 

Inuyasha stomped across the room to look straight into his brother’s eyes. “Don’t. It’s not your story to tell.”

 

“Fair enough. Will you keep your end of the bargain?”


“Will you be polite enough to leave Kagome and her family out of this?”

 

“Agreed.”

 

Sesshoumaru shook his brother’s hand. Then he said his polite goodbyes to Mrs. Higurashi and Kagome. When he left the room, Inuyasha’s shoulders finally relaxed. He knelt down in front of Mrs. Higurashi.

 

“I’m so sorry that he dragged you all the way here from home.”

 

Mrs. Higurashi put her hand on his shoulder. “Don’t be. He treated me to the nicest tea, but if I were to make one request.”

 

“Anything.”

 

“Please do as your father and brother suggest. They only want to see you safe, I’m sure.”

 

Kagome could see the reluctance in his face, but he agreed. Later in the day, Inuyasha said goodbye to Kagome and Sango before trudging to the black limousine with his head bowed. 

 

It didn’t take long for the whole school to spread the word after that. The fact that Inuyasha was the one that took the limousine was enough to triple the attention he got from the other students. The next day, questions about his family and his lifestyle practically followed him around. Inuyasha had to turn and scream at his groupies to leave him “the hell alone” four times in one day. 

 

When lunch came around, Kagome knew he was about to pop, which was the last thing she needed. Grabbing his hand and whispering into his ear that her lunch was Mrs. Higurashi’s specialty, Kagome was able to lure Inuyasha out to the track field. Sitting under the shade of the biggest tree on campus, Kagome was about to give him her lunch when she noticed that he already had his own.

 

“Wow! Did you actually cook this?”

 

Kagome looked at the bento in his lap. It was perfectly made and proportioned, with cute like octopus sausages and a clover shaped egg over fried rice.

 

“My old man’s private chef made it for me. At least the food at the house is good. You want to trade?”

 

“Yes!”

 

Kagome dug in, and was amazed that the food was even more delicious then it looked. Every bite was seasoned to salty, savory perfection and it practically melted the moment she put it to her lips. It wasn’t until she was almost finished that she noticed how Inuyasha was uncharacteristically not touching her mom’s steak. Instead, he was silently staring off into space. Kagome put her hand on his. 

 

“Is living at your house that bad?”

 

Inuyasha blinked at their hands and then stared at the chopsticks between his fingers. For a moment, she thought he would joke away the question or avoid it like he had done so much in the past. Ever since Sesshoumaru appeared, Inuyasha seemed to be losing more and more of his wit and jokester attitude. She had never seen him so subdued.

 

His shoulders and arms tightened. “I hate it there. I always have.”

 

“Why? It’s a beautiful house.”

 

“Beauty ain’t worth shit if you’re always alone.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

He leaned back against the tree, looking up into the branches.  “After my mom died, I went to live with the old man. I was there, in that huge house, alone for days on end, doing nothing but studying with stuffy tutors. The only time I’d see the sun was during exercise, which was the only class where the tutors wouldn’t follow me around.”

 

“There was no one there with you? No one to take you outside or watch over you?”

 

“My old man and brother were always off working. Married to the job or whatever. Sesshoumaru and his wife would be home every few months or so, and my old man was almost never home. It was like that until I was about thirteen, when I couldn’t take it anymore and I demanded to go to a regular school.”

 

“You were alone for that long?”

 

“Being alone is better then being around my old man. Can’t seem to get anything right according to him.”

 

Kagome pulled her knees up to her chest. Her father had been the best person ever, and here Inuyasha was talking about how he couldn’t stand his own dad. It made her feel really sad. 

 

“My friends were my real family. Satoshi, Miroku, Maki,” Inuyasha continued, “even Kazuma, for a while.”

 

“You mean Satoshi’s brother?”

 

Inuyasha looked stunned.

 

“Maki showed me her scrap book. And I was there when you, Miroku, and Satoshi were at the graveyard.”

 

Inuyasha took a bite of steak. “Can you get your mom to give me this recipe? Really, she should open up her own restaurant.”

 

“I’ll make her write it down,” Kagome said quickly. “What happened to Kazuma?”

 

Inuyasha wolfed down his food.

 

Kagome pulled her hand back. “You’re not going to tell me,” she said bitterly.

 

He froze, swallowing and, for once, he looked legitimately sorry. No teasing, not even a smallest dirty joke. He gave her back her lunch, saying he wasn’t hungry. Then he looked at her and cursed.

 

“Damn. You have a real way of getting under my skin you know.  It’s not like what happened is some big secret. My old man knows, and so do my friends. We don’t like to talk about it, and it’s not just my story to tell.”

 

“Then whose story is it?”

 

“I can’t tell you.”

 

Kagome stood. “Keep the lunch. It’s only fair since I ate all of yours. Just remember to give me the empty lunchbox tomorrow.”

 

“Kagome-”

 

She gave him her back. “I’m not mad. Just, give me some time away okay? You’re probably not in a really good place right now, what with being home and all.”

 

She left him there under the tree and didn’t talk or say goodbye when he hoped into the limo and drove away after school. Kagome went to track practice and stayed extra for student council, even after Sango had gone home for the day, all the while wondering if she was doing the right thing. She wasn’t sure where they’re relationship was going. After a fight, they made up briefly and now she was going back to being bitter about the very same thing they had an argument about in the first place.

 

Maybe she was being too insensitive, Kagome thought as she packed up her things. She wasn’t sure how to talk to Inuyasha seriously, without him joking or flirting away from the issue, so maybe she should just let things go. But she couldn’t help but feel that he might never open up to her and she couldn’t imagine being with someone that just didn’t want to tell her about their life.

 

Kagome leaned forward on the desk, pressing her cheek against the cold wooden surface. “How do you do relationships?”

 

“By not starting them with that idiot.”

 

Kagome was on her feet in an instant. Haruhi was standing at the door. Yoko was right behind her.  

 

Kagome groaned. “You two? Together? Just what I need.”

 

Haruhi came forward and sat down on Kagome’s table while Yoko stayed at the door. It almost felt as though the two girls were trapping her.  Irritation churned in Kagome’s stomach. First the attacks at the school, Inuyasha’s whole family drama she got dragged into, plus her own personal problems, the last thing she wanted was to deal with more unnecessary school related drama.  

 

Kagome packed up her things. “Listen, I don’t really care about what you have to say, and I’m really tired, so if you don’t mind, I’m leaving.”

 

When she reached the door, Yoko blocked her way.

 

Kagome rolled her eyes. “Move.”

 

“How much do you know about Inuyasha? Has he told you anything about his past?”

 

Kagome rounded on Haruhi. “What’s your problem with him? Did you two date or something? Never mind, I don’t want to know. Now will you shut up and let me go?”

 

“You really shouldn’t trust him.”

 

Kagome was beginning to fantasize about walking across the room and slapping Haruhi across the face. “Why? Has he been cheating on me? Keeping secrets? No offense, but whatever he’s up to, I’d rather hear it from his own mouth. What makes you think I would suddenly trust what you have to say when I haven’t even known you that long.” 

 

What Kagome expected Haruhi to do was deliver a sneering insult, some sort of jab about how stupid Kagome was being, or some maniacal, evil speech where she explained her plans in detail. But none of that happened. Instead, Haruhi’s expression was a mixture of angry and sad, almost as though she pitied Kagome. What she said next, nearly threw Kagome off kilter. 

 

“My sister is died because of him.”

 

Kagome’s school bag hit the floor. “If this is some kind of joke, or new form of bullying, it’s so not funny.”

 

Haruhi didn’t blink or smile. “I’m serious. Akiko, my older sister, died because of that bastard. I’m only telling you for your own safety.”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?”

 

“Did you know that Inuyasha is nineteen years old? That’s because he spent a year under house arrest for what he did.” Haruhi slammed her hand on her nearest desk. “That asshole, he should be in jail, but his family is so rich they were able to get him off easy, covered it all up with the police too.”

 

“I’m not listening to this anymore.” Kagome grabbed Yoko’s shoulder and pushed her out of the way. Just as the entered the hall, Haruhi spoke again.

 

“I’m always here, if you’re ready to face the truth.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She stomped home, and straight into her room. Homework and then bed. She had no energy for anything or anyone else. The next day, she skipped school, pretending to have any disease that would make her stay home, even something as unlikely as rheumatism. The logical part of her mind warred with her emotional side all day. It could be a lie, but Haruhi had so serious. Could she have just been a great actor or something? 

Kagome calculated. Inuyasha had started acting gloomy around the time that Haruhi had come to school. How much truth was there in what she said? He couldn’t possibly be as dangerous as Haruhi made him out to be?

There was a knock on her bedroom door. Even though the light was off and even though Kagome had said nothing, Sango let herself in and sat down on the bed. She didn’t ask any questions, she just patted the Kagome shaped lump under the blanket until her friend finally sat up.

“I don’t know if I’m being stupid or what,” Kagome sighed.

“What happened?”

Sango listened patiently while Kagome told her the story, and didn’t shame Kagome for crying afterward. She just held onto Kagome for a while as all the words kept coming.

“I know haven’t known him for that long, but I don’t care. I really like him, but I feel kind of hurt? Am I not trustworthy? Am I being too insecure? I keep telling myself that I should wait for him to tell me whatever secret he’s been keeping, to give him time to learn to trust me, but now I’m more impatient then ever. What if Haruhi was telling the truth? What should I do? He won’t talk to me about it, and the time away is killing me. I spend every damn day worrying and thinking and I wasn’t like this before! All I cared about was my perfect academic record and look what that moron has turned me into, damn it! Now I’m some paranoid, insecure, lovesick puppy and it’s all his fault!”

“Yeah, that moron. What a big jerk.”

“Right?” Kagome took a napkin from her bedside table and blew her nose. “And I keep wondering if I should take what Haruhi said seriously. Am I not safe around him? He’s never hurt me, but he’s keeping this big secret. How do you trust someone blindly, Sango? I don’t know if I can do it.” 

“Did I ever tell you that Miroku used to flirt with other girls right in front of me?”

“He did not!”

Sango nodded. “Yeah he did, and I was so mad, you wouldn’t believe the hand shaped marks on his face. But then I noticed that he didn’t chase those other girls. He didn’t go out with them and I stopped getting so jealous.”

“How do you just turn off those insecurities?”

Sango pressed her lips together as though she was trying not to laugh. “Well, for one, I warned him that if he ever really cheated on me, it wouldn’t just be over, but I would also let Satoshi and Inuyasha know exactly what he calls his dick in the bedroom.”

Kagome cringed. “Wait? You’ve actually done it?”

Sango’s cheeks turned pink. “Not the point here.”

“But we’re so going to talk about this later.”

“Uh, no. Don’t change the subject.”

“Please tell me you’ve used condoms at least.”

“Kagome!”   

She put her hands up as a sign of truce. “Okay, okay. So you threatened him.”

“At first yes, then over time, we just got closer and closer and now I don’t really worry about it. Look I’m not an expert on love or anything. I’m just saying, sometimes you just have to stop worrying and let things happen.”

“But what if it doesn’t work out.”

Sango punched Kagome’s shoulder playfully. “You’re a strong girl, you’ll survive. You’ll get into the best college with your grades, become a doctor and then proceed to reject every suitor that comes your way because none of them were as cute as your high school sweetheart.”

“I kind of don’t like the future you’re predicting here. Aren’t you supposed to make me feel better?”

“I’d say I’m succeeding, given the smile on your face.”

Kagome whacked Sango with a pillow. They enjoyed the afternoon together, eating ice cream for lunch until around sunset when Sango asked Kagome for a little favor, which finally got Kagome out of her bed.

As they walked to the school, Kagome couldn’t help thinking about how different the sunset felt from the day before. She tried not to think about the future or the past, to just enjoy the walk with her best friend and to let herself realize just how lucky she truly was for the first time since her father died.

Since his death, she couldn’t help but feel alone, but somehow, over the past few months, despite all the craziness that happened with Souta and the school gossip and Inuyasha, something clicked into place. Things felt right.

There were a few teachers at school that recognized Kagome, and Sango was quick enough to lie, convincing the teachers that Kagome was finally feeling better and that she came to the school to pick up her missing work. A good standing with the staff worked in Kagome’s favor. One of the teachers let Kagome into the building without a fuss, while Sango waited outside.

Just as Kagome walked up to the floor where the student counsel room was, she heard a door slam. Though muffled, she heard the sound of two people talking, and their conversation soon turned into like yelling. Kagome recognized one of the voices. It was Inuyasha.  

“I tried to help Akiko! I never wanted anything to happen to her or anyone. Things just spiraled out of control.”

“Liar! My sister started dating you and she became a total brat. And the next we know, she was shot and it never would have happened if weren’t for you.”

Kagome felt cold stab at her cheeks and nose. He was talking to Haruhi. She sat down near the door, trying not to make a sound. 

“I’m not asking you to forgive me. You could hate me forever, I don’t care, but Kagome has nothing to do with any of that.”  

“You should be in prison. I don’t know what your family lawyer did to get you off, but I’m going to make sure no other girl dies because of you.”

“Goddamn it! How many times do I have to tell you? I didn’t kill your sister. It was-”

“Right, that gang leader that no one but you saw, who just happened to disappear right after all that. Convenient that he wasn’t caught.”

“He is real. And he’s still out there.  My old man and brother suspect he’s back in the city and they won’t let me out their sight until the police find him. And if he’s here, then you’re in danger too. Don’t you think it’s suspicious that there’s more gang violence in the city, when there hasn’t been in nearly five years? Why would I make him up?”

“To make yourself look innocent,” Haruhi hissed.

Kagome heard stomping, and it was getting closer. Kagome jumped into the room across the hall and hid behind the wall just as Haruhi came out into the hall. Inuyasha called after her and chased her down. Kagome sat down in the lonely room for ten minutes. Then, automatically she got us, fetched the papers that Sango had asked her to go over, and left the building.

Sango was waiting for her by the school gate. When Kagome reached her, she gave Sango the happiest smile she could fake, but Sango saw right through it. Feeling defeated, but not wanting to keep what she heard to herself, Kagome made Sango promise to wait at least until they got to her house. The sun had fully set, and Kagome distracted herself by reading the student counsel papers that she had taken from the school when suddenly Sango nudged her shoulder.    

“Isn’t that Haruhi?”

Kagome looked up. It was indeed Haruhi. She came out of a small grocery store and rounded the corner into a narrow street. Kagome silently nodded to Sango and ran after her. In the middle of the alley, Kagome called out her name.

Haruhi stopped, mid chew of a chocolate bar. “Did you come here for the rest of the story?”

“No,” Kagome said, “I’ve decided I’m going to wait until Inuyasha tells me himself.”

Haruhi threw her half eaten sweat into the dank puddle at her feet. “Then you’re stupider then I thought.”

“Who are you to call me that? For all I know, you could be twisting the story around for yourself. And what if you don’t have the whole story? What if he isn’t the real reason your sister died?”

Haruhi laughed. “Did he tell you that Jeromaru,” she said the name as though it were a childish insult, “was the one responsible for it all? What a load of bullshit! No one has ever met him besides Inuyasha. For all we know he might not even exist.”

Someone was clapping. The sound grew as more people joined in. Kagome and Sango turned around. At the mouth of the alley were about eight boys. One of them, a tall guy with long, unkempt silver hair came forward. He had a wide I-can-take-down-a-tractor chest, and his meaty arms were crisscrossed with scars.  

“Who are you?” Haruhi’s voice sounded even, but her words squeaked just a little at the end.

Kaogme couldn’t blame her. Alone in an alley and outnumbered, she couldn’t stop her heart from freezing with fear. Sango held her hand, and Kagome saw, out of the corner of her eye, that she was frightened too. 

“I’m kind of hurt,” big tractor guy spread his arms wide. “You just called out my name and now you ask me who I am?”

“Jeromaru? What, did Inuyasha pay to be here to prove a point or something?”

The guy blinked. “Inuyasha’s still alive? Fuck I was a lousy shot.” 

The other men laughed.

“Now, what should I do with three girls that are lost in an alley, and can’t be bothered to be polite?”

His smile showed too many teeth. Kagome couldn’t wait anymore. She grabbed Sango’s hand tightly and bolted to the other side of the alley, screaming at Haruhi to run. The girl didn’t need to be told twice because the second the three of them moved, the boys were already giving chase. Kagome, Sango and Haruhi ran through the narrow back streets, twisting and turning around corners, wondering why no one else was outside to call for help.

They reached a fork in the road and Kagome took a left and was just around the corner when a pair of arms shot out and grabbed her from the air. She was pulled up on to a set of stairs on the side of a building, her mouth covered, and she saw Sango’s terrified face turn the corner and look up at her from the bottom stair.

Kagome struggled, trying to pull the hand away from her mouth. Her attacker grabbed her shoulders and turned her around to face him. It was Inuyasha. Before she could say anything he shushed her and pulled Sango up onto the stairs.

Kagome pulled closer to Inuyasha’s side, trying not to breath as she could feel their chasers on the other side of the building. Each shout and curse made her feet colder and then there was the sound of footsteps again. A few of them ran past their hiding spot, but didn’t spot them from below. When they were gone, Inuyasha grabbed both the girls’ hands and led them up the stairs to an open window. Once they had climbed inside, he began dialing a number on his cell phone.

“It’s me. Yeah, I have them. Yes, I’m wearing it. Okay.”

 

Kagome watched Inuyasha text someone on his phone. She took deep breaths, trying not to crumble into a ball of tears. “Who was that?”

 

“Miroku.”

 

Sango gasped. “He’s not going to go after those guys is he?”

 

Inuyasha shook his head. “No, he’s with the police.”  

 

“They’re on their way here?”

 

“Yeah.” Inuyasha pulled something small and black out of his pocket. “It’s a tracker,” he explained, “my brother and old man insisted I wear it. The police should be coming soon. Everything will be fine.”

 

“No it won’t.” Kagome covered her face. “Haruhi! She’s still out there somewhere.”

 

“What? I didn’t see her go in the alley.”

 

“She went in before us. We lost her somewhere.”

 

“Shit!” Inuyasha went to the window.

 

Kagome grabbed his arm. “You can’t go back out there.”

 

Inuyasha put a hand on Kagome’s head. “Don’t worry. My old man knew I’d pull something stupid so he made me agree to a bodyguard. He’ll know where I am because of the tracker. I’m sorry you got pulled into this.” He opened the window. “I have to go after her.”

 

Kagome felt an empty space in her heart when he slid his arm out of hers, but she refused to cry. Instead, she leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek.

 

“I trust you. Just be careful.”

 

“Well with a kiss like that how could I fail?” He gave her his phone. “Tell Miroku everything and promise me one big make out session when I come back.”

 

Kagome grinned, but after Inuyasha disappeared through the window, she couldn’t help herself from snuggling with Sango in the darkest corner of the room. All she could do was listen to Sango’s breathing and count the seconds, minutes, and hours. There was a knock at the door and Kagome’s eyes burned when the light was turned on. Sango left her side.

 

Kagome finally blinked away the pain. Miroku was at the door, his arms wrapped tightly around his girlfriend. Behind him, several armed police officers came in. One of them wrapped a blanket around Kagome’s shoulders, and helped her stand. The next thing she knew, she was out on the street, sitting in the back of an ambulance car.

 

A police officer gave her a cup of coffee. Kagome let the steaming cup warm her frozen fingers, watching as Miroku and Sango argued over something. A moment later, Miroku ran back into the alleys with a few police officers.

 

Someone called her name. Kagome saw Satoshi run under the yellow tape. A few police officers tried to stop him, but then quickly let him through. She had never seen him so pale and sweaty.

 

“Are you all right? You’re not hurt?”

 

“No,” Kagome gave him the coffee, “Inuyasha got to us in time.”

 

Satoshi took a long swig, whipping the brown liquid from his chin. “Where is he?”

 

“He ran back after Haruhi.”

 

Satoshi nearly dropped the coffee cup. “Alone? That fucking idiot!”

 

Before anyone could stop him, Satoshi bolted into the alley. Kagome rose to chase him, but was stopped by another police officer. He led her back to her spot and assured her that everything would be all right. A moment later, the sound of a gunshot froze Kagome’s bones.

 

She couldn’t think of anything else. She simply stared at the empty entrance to the alleyway, waiting, waiting, waiting. The lights from the police sirens bounced on the walls, Sango’s hand was in Kagome’s, and mutterings were in the distance.

 

And then a police officer came out of the alley, his face grim. Kagome sucked in air. A few other police officers came out, pushing the handcuffed culprits toward a vehicle. Satoshi and Miroku were next, escorting a terrified Haruhi out of the alley with a female officer.

 

Then he came. Snarling and cackling like a rapid dog caught in a hunting trap. Three officers shoved Jeromaru toward an armored car. Kagome watched as he spat and cursed everyone around him. She reached out to close the ambulance door, hoping Jeromaru did not see her.  

 

“Hold on a moment.”

 

It was Satoshi’s voice.

 

Kagome peeked around door. Satoshi pushed his way through a few police officers. Jeromaru lunged at him, and it took all the strength of the three officers restraining him to keep Satoshi from being chewed to shreds. But Satoshi was not afraid. He smashed his fist on Jeromaru’s face.

 

Jeromaru’s head whipped to the side, his cheek already bruising. Still, he laughed. “Was that for your brother?”


“No. For Maki.”

 

The police put Jeromaru in the car, closed the door, and were gone after a few minutes. Two more officers, one dressed in camouflaged clothes and the other in everyday clothes came out of the alley. Behind them was Inuyasha. His shirt was ripped and his lip was bleeding, but he was smiling. After getting a mouthful from the officer in everyday clothes, he walked across to Miroku and Satoshi and gave both his friends a bear hug.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kagome didn’t get the chance to speak to Inuyasha until three days later. Mrs. Higurashi kept her home from school and took every chance she could to mother Kagome to death. Kagome was treated to her favorite foods, was not allowed to do any chores, and encouraged to just sit around the house and be a total vegetable. Both Souta and Grandpa were tearfully relieved. The call from the police had shaken them beyond belief. Her family had gotten to the crime scene and had whisked Kagome away right after she had given her statements.

 

Not wanting to worry her family, Kagome had behaved as well as she could those few days. It wasn’t until an officer came to the shrine to tell them that all the suspects were detained that Mrs. Higurashi finally relaxed enough to let Kagome out of the house.

 

The morning that Kagome was to go back to school, Mrs. Higurashi pulled her aside and gave her a second lunch. 

 

“Please call me every few hours. Too many close calls this year. I don’t want to always worry.”

 

Kagome agreed, saying goodbye to her mother and grandfather. School would have been uneventful if every student wasn’t more interested in talking about Kagome and Sango’s run in with the gang. For the first time ever, Kagome ditched student counsel and track, and gave everyone that asked her what happened the same excuse.

“I’m not allowed to talk about it. The police told me so.”

 

Haruhi was not in school but Inuyasha was. He tried to approach Kagome, but with all the other students watching and waiting to pester him about the attack, his life, his limousine, his relationship with Kagome, he finally just slipped Kagome a note to meet with him after school.

 

And that was what they did. Kagome waited till most of the students had left. She then walked out to a little corner store where she had agreed to meet with Inuyasha. He was standing by the sliding doors. When she approached him, he gave her a red bean bun he’d bought.

 

Holding onto his arm with one hand and eating the bun with the other, Kagome walked with him. They were silent for a while. No jokes, no innuendos, no arguments, just walking with the sense that someone was by their side, that they were the only two people in the whole world, and that questions, the past or present didn’t matter.

 

Until Satoshi magically appeared and thumped Inuyasha on the back of the head, making him stumble forward as he tried to regain his balance. When he finally did have both feet firmly on the ground, Inuyasha turned around and punched Satoshi on the arm. 

 

“You dick! Did you have to go and ruin the moment?” 

 

“What, I saw you two from my window and thought I’d invite you up. Is that so wrong? Hey Kagome.”

 

Kagome waved at him, looking up at the building they were under. “You live here?”

 

“I rent a room with Miroku. It’s about what two struggling college students can afford. This guy,” Satoshi pointed to Inuyasha, “should be helping us by paying rent, especially since he’s like always here.”

 

Inuyasha shoved him. “Piss off.”

 

Kagome tapped Inuyasha on the shoulder, getting his attention. “I’d like to come up for some tea.”

 

“Great! I’ll call Sango and Miroku and all five of us can hang out.”

 

And they did. Messing around, eating, and playing videogames, they joked until late in the evening. Miroku and Inuyasha challenged each other to an arm wrestling tournament and Kagome and Sango began making bets on who would win. It ended up as a draw because apparently both guys went easy on each other as to not be embarrassed in front of their girlfriends. Kagome called Mrs. Higurashi to let her know she was safe, although she did lie and say she was staying at Sango’s house for the night. She was just having way too much fun with her group.    

 

Around ten in the evening, Miroku took Sango home, and Satoshi, after talking with Inuyasha for a little bit, said he was going out for a walk. When they were finally alone, Inuyasha grabbed Kagome and pulled her into his arms, squeezing her tight. She leaned her temple against his shoulder and just listened to him breathe for a while.

 

“I was really worried when I saw you turn that corner into that alley,” he whispered.

 

“How did you know I was there?”

 

“I didn’t. I was being taken home in the limo when I saw you and Sango on the street. Before I could get out of the car, I saw those guys surround the entrance. And then when I saw Jeromaru,” he took a deep breathe. “I called the police and Miroku, and then I ran in there after you guys.”

 

“Thanks for coming to get us.”

 

“You have no idea how scared I was,” he hissed. Taking her hand, Inuyasha led her to the kitchen table and sat down across from her. “I owe you some answers.”

 

“You’re going to tell me-”

 

Inuyasha nodded. “Everything. I spoke to Satoshi and Miroku about it. And I called Maki. She agreed that I should tell you.”

 

Kagome swallowed, watching as Inuyasha folded and unfolded his hands as though trying to grab words out of the air. Finally, he leaned back in his seat, rubbed his forehead and began.

 

“My old man runs a multinational business. He’s a pretty powerful guy. Honestly, I’m surprised you’ve never heard of Taisho Industries before.”

 

Kagome shrugged. “I don’t have time to research business. I’ve got college entrance exams to worry about now.”

 

Inuyasha laughed. “Yeah, well, being from a rich family didn’t do me any real favors. I was only allowed to go to school under the condition that I get the best grades and don’t let anyone know that I’m related to the Taisho family. Fat a lot of good that secrecy did, what with my prick brother and the old man making me take the goddamn limo to and from school these past few-”

 

“Stop getting sidetracked.”

 

“Oh, sorry. Well, anyway, I was the new kid with no friends and I was a bit of an angry brat. I got into a lot of fights and I didn’t have to many friends. I met Satoshi and his brother, Kazuma, when I was thirteen. Satoshi and I became good friends, after beating the shit out of each other a few times and a few soccer games. Miroku became our friend after. Maki was last to join.”

 

Inuyasha scratched his head. His eyes were lost in the memory and there was sadness in them. Even though his voice was clear and his expression neutral, he radiated regret. “I was never really close to Kazuma. He just sort of hung around because he was Satoshi’s brother. I don’t think any of us really made him feel welcome. The four of us just had something, and Kazuma didn’t. He was always quiet and awkward.”

 

“So what happened to him?”

 

“When I was fourteen, I started dating Akiko. Haruhi’s sister. Man, I didn’t know anything about dating. It was innocent enough. We freaked out over holding hands, she would make me lunches, that kind of thing. I never had a date before and I was trying to be extra nice. What I didn’t know was that Akiko was into wilder guys, she wanted adventure and whatnot. She cheated on me. With Kazuma.”

 

Kagome frowned. His story didn’t add up, but she didn’t interrupt.

 

“Kazuma was bullied for not being manly. Me and Satoshi would go beat on his bullies, and then we’d tell Kazuma to man up and defend himself. Those bullies were Jeromaru’s flunkies. He was the ringleader. He didn’t seem like much to the teachers, they just thought he was some brat, but when there was no adult around, he was an asshole with a capital ‘A.’ I don’t know all the details, there were rumors going around the school that Jeromaru came from a really messed up family. Whatever his reasons, he collected boys into his group with the promise that everyone would respect them and no one would dare challenge them. He caught his boys beating on Kazuma, and, rather then join in, he protected Kazuma, invited him into the group, treated him like best friend. And Kazuma joined their gang.”

 

“Was that why Akiko cheated on you with him?”

 

Inuyasha shrugged. “Guess she liked the thrill of having a soccer player on one arm and a gang member on the other. Kazuma stopped hanging out with us. He and Satoshi got into all these fights. Satoshi and Kazuma were both orphans, all they had were each other. We never thought that anything could really separate them, but what hit the nail on the head was when one of Jeromaru’s boys felt up Maki and Kazuma defended him.”

 

“You can’t be serious.”

 

Inuyasha grit his teeth. “He said his ‘friend’ was just joking. Me, Miroku, and Satoshi fought with him about it, said they weren’t really his friends, but Kazuma wouldn’t listen. He finally found somewhere to fit in, I guess. Said he was hanging out with men that treated him like a man, even though Jeromaru and his gang were only a year older then us. Kids at school would get out of Kazuma’s way and maybe he liked being feared, made him feel powerful for the first time ever.”

 

Inuyasha looked up from his hands. His expression serious, he urged Kagome to listen. “Jeromaru’s not friend material. He wanted to test his buddy’s loyalty. Throughout the year, he kept getting worse and worse and Satoshi and Kazuma spoke to each other less and less. I wanted to try and convince him to stop hanging out with Jeromaru one more time.”

 

He pulled down his shirt, showing the bullet scar on his shoulder. “That’s how I got this. Kazuma hadn’t known just how insane Jeromaru was. He thought smoking on campus, talking back to teachers, being rude to girls, and beating on the younger kids was cool. The gang hid all the other shit they were into from him.”

 

“None of us knew that Jeromaru was into some really power crazy shit. When I spoke to Kazuma, to try and get him to apologize to Satoshi, we argued and it ended with me punching him because he told me that Akiko loved him and was just using me.” Inuyasha tangled his fingers in his hair, his eyes faraway. “I never should have lost my temper, but I felt so betrayed. I told Kazuma that we could never be friends again, told him he could be with Akiko, that she was a traitor and a bitch. I shouldn’t have done that, because Kazuma told Jeromaru that someone ‘disrespected’ him. Jeromaru sent his buddies to beat me up. I was with Maki at the time.” Inuyasha stopped, squeezing his eyes closed.

 

He began shaking, and Kagome felt tears welling up in her eyes. “They didn’t-”

 

“They did,” he seethed, slamming his fists on the table. “They hurt her. Those fucking assholes! I was too busy having the shit getting kicked out of me to worry about Maki.  They dragged me away, to where Jeromaru had invited Kazuma and Akiko for a little ‘present,’ which just happened to be me. He gave Kazuma a gun, told him to shoot me. He said, ‘We’re friends right? And this guy, he insulted you, and your girl. Show him what happens to anyone that insults us.’”

 

Kagome shook with fury. She wanted to get up and throw her chair and the table at the wall, but instead she squeezed her hands together, hating Kazuma, hating Jeromaru, and hating the fact that they made Inuyasha suffer so much.

 

Inuyasha continued. “I saw Kazuma hold the gun and point it at me, his hand was shaking. When he told Jeromaru he couldn’t do it, Jeromaru shot him and then he shot Akiko just because, and then he shot me.”

 

Kagome reached across the table and held his hands. “How did you survive?”

 

“Miroku. He and Satoshi were together and they were also beaten. Miroku managed to get away and called the police. They rounded up all the boys except for Jeromaru. He disappeared. Until a few weeks ago, we thought he left the country. Maki, Satoshi and I were taken to the hospital.”

 

“So that’s why you hate hospitals.”

 

“I remember waking up in a white room and screaming. I spent a year at home, just recovering, seeing therapists, doctors. That’s why I got held back a grade. Miroku and Satoshi went back to school after two months. Maki left the school. She didn’t talk to us for a while.”

 

Inuyasha stared at his hands, silent. Kagome got up from her side of the table, walked around to him and put his head near her heart. He wrapped his arms around her waist, listening to her sob into his hair.

 

“Aw man, now I’ve gone and made you cry.”

 

“I’m not crying,” Kagome sniffled, “I just have allergies.” 

 

He kept talking as though he needed to purge all the memories from his mind. “When I saw Haruhi at the school, I couldn’t help but think about it. I don’t know how we all recovered. Maybe none of us wanted to think about it. It took two whole years before Miroku, Satoshi and I could be together without feeling guilty. My old man sent us to every shrink he could find. But it’s still something we are all ashamed of. We didn’t know Kazuma was going through. We made fun of him, called him a wimp, made him more resentful. It’s our fault that he went and made friends with someone like Jeromuru. Someone that used his wish to be respected and manipulated him. If we hadn’t been such little assholes, then maybe none of this would have happened.”

 

Kagome patted his head softly. “So, the reason you didn’t want to tell me was because you were protecting your friends.” She couldn’t believe his loyalty, and felt ashamed of herself for pushing him so hard. “I’m so sorry.”

 

“For what?”


“I never should have said you didn’t trust me. Anyone would hard time sharing something like that.”

 

“Naw, it’s no big deal.”

 

He said that, but the slight hiccup in his speech made Kagome smile despite herself.

 

“Is that why you transferred into my school?” 

 

“I couldn’t go back to my old school, even after a year. Everyone knew me after that. I was the fuck up that everyone talked shit about. Satoshi was the pathetic orphan that couldn’t save his brother, and Miroku was the pervert that stuck around with us. And then there was Maki. The girls treated her as either someone to be pitied or shamed, while the boys thought she was just some easy slut they could say nasty things about. She changed schools and, when she graduated high school, she decided to go to university in London, where no one knew her secret.  I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to look at my friends the same way. I don’t have a good relationship with my family and Satoshi, Miroku, and Maki, I’ve never seen them so free someone outside of our group. I didn’t want to ruin that. I didn’t want you to know how much I messed up.”

“You didn’t mess up. You were just a kid. None of it was your fault.”

He sagged against her, exhausted, shaking, and Kagome knew that the only reason he was holding his breathe was because he didn’t want to let any tears or sobs escape him.

“It’s okay, Inuyasha. It’s over now.”    

She held onto him until her feet began to ache and then they moved toward the living room where he rested his head on her lap. They talked about life, their past together, and anything and everything. Inuyasha held nothing back and neither did Kagome. They joked without even noticing the clock tick passed midnight. Even when Kagome was lying down next to him, listening to him talk about how he would steal his mother’s shoes when he was five, she didn’t even stop to think about how Satoshi had been gone all night.  Sometime in the early morning, Kagome dozed.  

She woke up with an ache in her neck and snuggled closer to the large, soft warm thing at her side. She couldn’t help but wonder where she had gotten such a large, hot pillow. Throwing her leg over it, she realized a couple things. First, she was not in her room, second, the pillow was Inuyasha, and third, he was wide-awake, watching her put her leg over waist and hips.

He didn’t even let her react. He turned to his side, pulled her flush against him, wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed his lips against her. Kagome melted instantly, her hands tangling in his hair. What started out as soft and sweet kisses soon became deep and needy. Inuyasha rolled their bodies until Kagome was on top and she was all too happy with the new position, as the floor no longer restricted her arms and Inuyasha was able to run his hands over her shoulders and back. One, two, three, four, Kagome lost count of how many times her kips met his. 

Inuyasha sat them up, separating from her only a moment before he cupped her cheeks in his hands and kissed her again. Except this time, he softly pressed his tongue against hers. Kagome twitched, surprised but then reciprocated. The kisses deepened after that, but became gentler as well. Their hands no longer searched for shoulders or hair to squeeze and pull; they found each other. And when they finally pulled apart, their hands were still clasped.

Kagome pressed her forehead against Inuyasha’s.

“So how long do you think can we keep this up?”

“I was hoping we’d go all night.” Inuyasha winked.

She flicked him on the nose. “No, you dummy, I was talking about us.”

Inuyasha looked into her eyes. “For as long as we want. Also I finally have you where we can’t be interrupted, can we do less talking and more kissing.”

Kagome pecked him on the nose. “I’m down.” 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EPILOGUE

“I think I’m going to be sick.” Satoshi leaned against the wall with his hand on his stomach. “Why the hell did I let you two convince me to go drinking last night?”

 “It was your last night as a bachelor,” Miroku patted his gently on the back, “drinking to that is tradition, you know.”

“Plus,” Inuyasha grouched from where lay on the bench. “It’s not our fault you can’t hold your liquor for shit.” 

Satoshi reached for the only throwable thing he could find, which happened to be a bouquet of daisies in a vase on the church windowsill. He tossed it at Inuyasha’s head. When Inuyasha caught it in one hand, Miroku began clapping.

“Aw, Inuyasha, you’re next to be married!”

“Dipshit, catching the garter is what decides who gets married next.”

“Can it you two!” Satoshi groaned, covering his mouth. “Oh god. Maki’s going to kill me.”

“All right Miroku, help me get him to the bathroom. The only way he’s going to do this is if he cleanses his toxins, if you know what I mean.”

Just as the two men got the groom into the little bathroom, the door to the groom’s room was thrown open and Sango and Kagome sashayed in.

“Hello, my beauty,” Miroku saluted Sango from the bathroom door.

“What’s taking you guys so long?” Sango’s stiletto heals clicked on the floor as she walked across the room to tap Miroku on the chest.

“Satoshi’s not feeling well,” Inuyasha explained.

As if on cue, Satoshi hacked from the bathroom.

“And just why are you two morons standing around instead of helping him?” Kagome put her hands on her hips.

Inuyasha and Miroku bowed their heads. With a very dramatic eye-roll, Sango left the room and then came back with a glass full of water. Kagome exited and returned as well, only she came back with a new, clean suit, still in its protective plastic bag.

“Where did you get that?” Inuyasha stared at the suit.

“I figured you idiots might do something to mess this up so I ordered an extra just in case.”

Satoshi came out of the room a moment later, thanking Sango for the water. He looked as though he had run through a hurricane, but he told the boys he felt better nonetheless. As the girls exited the room for Satoshi to change, Miroku nudged Inuyasha in the ribs.

“I bet he’s just using the alcohol as an excuse to cover up the wedding jitters.”

“Shut it,” Satoshi buttoned up his dress shirt, “I’ve never been more sure of anything in my whole life.”

Inuyasha smiled. “Man, I thought it would take forever for you to realize how much you loved her. You and Maki will be happy together, I’m sure.”

“You’re one to talk. When you are you going to suck it up and propose to Kagome?”

Inuyasha smirked, reaching into his pocket and producing a small black box.

Miroku tsked. “Proposing to your girl on the same day as your best friend’s wedding? For shame.”

Inuyasha slipped the ring back into his tux pocket. “I’m going to wait until after the reception. And at least I chose a romantic venue. You proposed to Sango at a museum. A museum!”

“Hey, the museum is the perfect place for a history lover. I know my girl, shut up.”

Satoshi finished dressing and slapped his hand on Inuyasha’s shoulder. “I’m happy for you guys, but can we focus on my wedding for the moment?”

The men agreed and spent a moment checking over the groom to make sure he was presentable. Just as they had finished, the two maids of honor burst into the room.

“It’s almost time!” Sango grabbed Miroku’s arm. “We have to get into place. You look great, Satoshi. Now come on!”

Sango pulled both of them out of the room. Kagome turned to follow but was stopped when a pair of hands circled her waist and pulled her back in.   

 “Inuyasha!” She slapped at his hands.

“I am so not digging this pink dress Maki made you wear. Why couldn’t she get you a green dress?”

“Pu-lease, you just can’t wait for me to take it off.”

“Baby you know it.” He nuzzled her neck.

“Stop,” Kagome giggled, “you’re messing up my hair.”

“That’s not the only thing I want to mess up.”

“Can’t you just keep it in you pants until the wedding night?”

“But it’s not our wedding night. Come on, let’s just lock the door for like ten minutes.”

“Ten minutes!” Kagome wriggled away from him. “The wedding’s going to start soon.” She put her hands on her hips. “And just what makes you think I’ll be satisfied with a measly ten minutes. Save it for later.”

“Satisfied with a measly ten minutes?” Inuyasha slapped his hand on his forehead. “I’ve been a bad influence on you. What happened to the nice girl that would blush at every innuendo?”

“She’s been dating you for the past eight years.”

He pulled her to his side. “The best eight years ever.”   

Kagome pulled his hand away from her corset. “Nice try, but you’re still not getting any until after the wedding.”

“You’re no fun.”

“Think of how much fun I’ll be after the wedding.”

“That doesn’t sound sexy at all.”

“So why are you grinning?”

 

“Just imagining you naked.”

“Really, Inuyasha, really?”

“Yes really, I can’t get enough of the woman I love.”

Kagome giggled. He held out his arm and she took it. The ring felt heavy in his coat pocket, but it was a weight he’d gladly held onto until later in the evening after all the toasts had been made and the bride and groom had driven off. After the guests had left the outdoor, forest venue and they were alone, walking side by side by the late beneath the moonlight.

He got down to one knee and she said, “Finally,” and they danced together. He and the best good influence in his whole life.

------------

The End.