InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ The Trip West ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi and Sunrise.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 6: The Trip West (Warning: Chapter contains Lime)
 
Kagome's bow and arrows didn't stay where they were for very long. InuYasha slid her quiver over her shoulder and handed her the bow after they had been in the air for only a few minutes. His ears were flicking in every direction, and he could tell that Sesshomaru's eyes were scanning the skies around them. Even in the air, they knew they were not totally safe, in spite of the fact that the Demon Lord of the Western Lands was with them. Kagome was carrying the nearly complete Shikon no Tama, and someone, or something, was bound to come after it.
 
They did not even make it to lunch. Midmorning something that could only be described as an oversized buzzard came diving at Kagome from the sky. It wasn't even smart enough to try and sneak up on them. It gave a loud screech as it started its decent, kind of slow and lazy like it would to circle and wait for something to die. Kagome nocked an arrow and shot at it, but she was out of practice and had not completely regained her strength. Her arrow went through its wing and took about half of it off. The buzzard screeched again as it lost its altitude and started plummeting towards the ground, beating fiercely with its wing and a half. Sesshomaru had drawn Tokijin and pointed it in the bird's direction. The buzzard screeched again as its body was shredded as it slammed into the ground.
 
A couple of hours later they descended into a clearing by a stream to stop for lunch. Sesshomaru understood that Kagome had to have food, even if he and InuYasha could skip a few meals, and she would need to relieve herself as well. She kept her bow and quiver with her though when InuYasha helped her off of Ah-Uhn's back.
 
When InuYasha pulled down her backpack for her, she dug into it and pulled out the pre-packed lunches she had made for the trip. She threw a blanket on the ground for them to sit on and eat. Sesshomaru told them to eat and he would keep watch. InuYasha sat down next to her, ears still swiveling in all directions for any approaching sounds.
 
They made it through lunch without incident. Kagome went to relieve herself and did not even mind that InuYasha followed her - as long as he stayed on the other side of the bush. She refilled the water bottles she had emptied while in flight and repacked them. Once again, everything in its place on Ah-Uhn's back, they took to the air.
 
Kagome's back was getting sore from the strain of sitting up on An-Uhn with no support. InuYasha could tell that she was starting to sag. He pulled her quiver over her head and handed it to her so she could set it in front of her with her bow. He then scooted up behind her and pulled her back into him so she could lean back into his chest. She knew she didn't dare go to sleep, but still she sighed and closed her eyes as he wrapped his arms around her to hold her in place.
 
Sesshomaru looked over at the couple. He knew that Kagome was not completely recovered even though she did look so much better than before. He was about to say something to InuYasha when he realized his brother had not relaxed. Even though he was holding Kagome protectively in his arms, his ears were still constantly in motion as his eyes scanned the skies. He should have known InuYasha would not lessen his guard when it came to the miko and the jewel she carried.
 
InuYasha told Sesshomaru of a cave he knew behind a waterfall they should be able to use to spend the night. It would normally have taken two days on foot, but they figured they should make it there by the end of the first day. InuYasha called to his brother to let him know they were approaching the area in the late afternoon. While they could push further, they didn't want to force Kagome to sleep out in the open if they could help it. It was also good for Ah-Uhn as there was plenty of grass growing in the clearing by the waterfall and the stream that fed it.
 
Kagome was grateful to put her feet on the ground. While she appreciated the use of Ah-Uhn to speed up the trip, her back and legs were sore from sitting in one position for so long.
 
InuYasha told Kagome to stay with Sesshomaru while he went and made sure the cave was still uninhabited. He came back to say that it was empty and had been for some time. He knew Kagome wouldn't mind an excuse to stretch her legs, so he asked her to gather some firewood while he went hunting for meat for supper. InuYasha knew that Sesshomaru would watch over her while he hunted in the woods. He too was stiff from sitting all day and wanted to run. He carried her backpack and sleeping bag up into the cave for her and took off. He would circle through the area and make sure all was clear before he found something for supper and brought it back.
 
Sesshomaru watched Kagome with interest. He knew she was tired from traveling all day, but she was gathering wood without a word of complaint. She made a couple of trips back and forth until she was satisfied she had enough to last them through the night and then lay flat on her back in the grass in the sun to wait for InuYasha's return.
 
InuYasha ran through the surrounding area until he was certain that they were alone and then caught a couple of rabbits to bring back to cook for their evening meal. He smiled when he came back. There was Kagome and Ah-Uhn snoozing in the sun, with Sesshomaru watching over them.
 
“Oi, wench. Did you start a fire?” InuYasha called.
 
Kagome yawned. “I didn't know how long you would be. I've got plenty of wood if you're ready.”
 
InuYasha gave her a hand and pulled her to her feet. They went up to the cave behind the waterfall to start the fire and then their dinner.
 
Sesshomaru followed them into the cave. “InuYasha, you have been here before.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“How long did you live here?” he asked.
 
“I…I don't know - years. I had nowhere else to go. I found it when I was little after my mother died. No one ever found me here and there was food in the area so I stayed until I was strong enough to defend myself,” InuYasha was speaking so softly that Kagome could barely hear him.
 
Kagome wanted to cry for InuYasha. She couldn't imagine living for so long all alone. No friends, no family - not belonging to either the world of youkai or the world of humans. She could not imagine how someone could even survive such an existence and keep their sanity.
 
Even Sesshomaru had never considered how totally alone InuYasha had been. Sesshomaru had been raised in his father's house, under his father's watchful eye, with a string of nannies and tutors. He had always had the best of everything, yet here was his half-brother who gave new meaning to having nothing. He had never thought about the fact his brother was so rough around the edges because he had literally raised himself, or that he was so defensive because the majority of humans and youkai alike he came across tried to kill him just for existing. Sesshomaru himself was guilty of the same offence.
 
InuYasha looked at them. “It wasn't so bad. I lived. I should have died a hundred times, but I'm still here. This place was safe; it looks like no other has found it even though I haven't been here in a while. We should be safe here for the night. There weren't any signs of youkai in the area.”
 
Kagome looked at him. “Well since it will be a little while before the rabbits are cooked enough to eat, I want to wash off. How cold is the water out there?”
 
“Well, it ain't no hot spring, but it isn't too bad,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Good,” Kagome replied as she started pulling her clothes off, “Either of you want to come with me?”
 
That answered both InuYasha's and Sesshomaru's question - she still didn't mind being naked in front of them both.
 
Kagome grabbed her soap and a towel to dry off with when she was stripped and went out. InuYasha and Sesshomaru looked at each other before stripping and following her out.
 
Kagome grinned when she saw the two naked brothers tag along. She gasped when she stepped into the water though. It might not be cold to InuYasha, but it was pretty darn chilly to her. She was glad she did not feel the need to wash her hair - just wash off the dust from travel and climb back out to sit in front of the fire. She soaped her body but handed the squishy puff to InuYasha to wash her back. She did the same for him and Sesshomaru, and then announced she was cold and was going back in. She dried off with her towel and then went back into the cave. She threw a couple of more towels out for them to use when they came out of the water.
 
It did not take long for InuYasha and Sesshomaru to follow her back inside. It was much warmer in the cave with the fire going. However, they were both hit by the smell of Kagome's arousal when they came in under the waterfall. She had spread her sleeping bag out and was lying on top of it with her eyes closed. InuYasha just grinned. He knew what she wanted. He looked over at his brother and almost laughed. Even the stoic Sesshomaru was having difficulty hiding Kagome's effect on him since he had no clothes on.
 
InuYasha just looked at Sesshomaru. “You might as well help. We found a way to keep her from having so many nightmares. It's going to be awhile before the rabbits are cooked, anyway.”
 
Sesshomaru had suspected why the two of them smelled so much like each other. He was about to find out for certain.
 
InuYasha went over to Kagome and lay alongside her. He leaned over and kissed her as his hand started to massage her breast. Kagome wrapped her arms around him as her tongue attacked his. Wanting attention further south, she spread her legs and bent her knees. InuYasha was working from her mouth down to her breasts when he saw his brother's head dive between her legs. He just grinned and kept on with what he was doing.
 
Kagome gasped when she realized she had two sets of tongues working on her again. Thinking about it just made her more aroused than ever. Sesshomaru was diving into her with his tongue as hard and deep as he could go. InuYasha decided to help him out by reaching down and flicking her clit while he was sucking on her breast. Kagome's body was starting to buck with the pleasure of the sensations they were giving her. She had wrapped her legs around Sesshomaru's neck and was pulling her body off of the floor as she climaxed. He thrust his tongue into her as far as he could and held it there as she poured into his mouth. She was panting when she finally released her grip on him and lowered her body back to the ground.
 
InuYasha knew what was next. Kagome turned on Sesshomaru who was now standing, and had his huge erection in her mouth. InuYasha got behind Kagome and started to massage her breast with one hand, and reached down with the other to dip inside her. He was kissing and nibbling on the back of her neck and shoulders as he stroked and dipped in rhythm with her and his brother. Sesshomaru had his hand on top of her head for balance and was thrusting into her mouth. As she had done before, she started nipping at him every few thrusts and tightened her grip. It wasn't long before he was exploding into her mouth and she was licking him clean.
 
InuYasha was now painfully hard. Everyone had been satisfied but him. Kagome turned to him on her knees and pulled him into a kiss. While she knew he wasn't supposed to enter her until they mated, she was going to let him get close. Using her hand, she guided him to the folds between her legs and began to ride him, her warm and wet folds on top and her hand on the bottom. InuYasha's eyes opened wide at the sensation before he closed them and wondered what it was going to be like when he finally took her as his. Kagome's eyes opened at the new sensation when Sesshomaru, not wanting to be left out, dove in from behind with his clawed fingers and started nipping at her neck and shoulders where InuYasha had been previously. Sesshomaru managed to bring Kagome to another climax as she brought InuYasha to one. Gasping for air, Kagome then lay back down on her back for InuYasha to clean up the mess he'd made. He gladly obliged and disappeared between her legs, working until he had her rising off of the floor again as she climaxed one more time.
 
When he was finished he looked up and said, “I guess you shouldn't have any nightmares tonight.”
 
Kagome just grinned.
 
Sesshomaru looked at both of them. “That really keeps her from having nightmares about what happened?”
 
“That and sleeping with no clothes on.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at them both and said, “If that is the case, perhaps we should try it again before we go to sleep.”
 
Kagome looked at them and said, “Works for me, but I'm hungry. Lets eat first.”
 
They didn't even bother to dress as they ripped apart the rabbits and devoured them.
 
The three of them had another round before turning in to sleep. Sesshomaru needed little sleep so he dressed and sat near the mouth of the cave to keep watch while Kagome and InuYasha snuggled under the blanket on top of her sleeping bag, back in their familiar position with his arms around her and his hand on her abdomen.
 
Sesshomaru was finally starting to understand their father's attraction to human women. He had greatly underestimated them.
 
Kagome had a very nightmare free night.
 
 
They woke up early the next morning as the sun was coming up. Kagome dunked under the waterfall to rinse herself off before getting dressed for the day. Dressed in her now familiar sweats and t-shirt, they readied Ah-Uhn for another day's journey west.
 
To help Kagome save her back, InuYasha pulled her into the position they had ended up in the day before. Kagome was much more comfortable and didn't tire as much when she was able to lean back against him. As she had on the day before, she kept her bow and quiver just in front of her.
 
They started to set down for lunch when the sun was past midway in the sky. They had not really spotted a decent place to land earlier even though InuYasha knew that Kagome was tired and hungry. Sesshomaru finally spotted a small clearing by a pond where Ah-Uhn could water while they ate their lunch.
 
When InuYasha pulled Kagome off of Ah-Uhn, he pulled her quiver down and placed it back over her head to rest on her shoulder and then handed her bow to her. He was uneasy, as was Sesshomaru. They were not back on the Western Lands yet, and they knew they weren't entirely alone. The question was whether or not the others in the area were friendly or hostile. InuYasha was hoping that they wouldn't have to find out.
 
At least their attacker let Kagome finish her lunch. InuYasha was surprised she didn't choke she was eating so fast. Kagome could feel the tension in the air and knew something was up. As much as she wanted to stay on the ground a little longer, she could tell it was not safe.
 
They weren't really sure what the demon was that attacked them. It looked kind of like a cross between a turtle and a centipede. It had a shell and head like a snapping turtle, but five eyes and way too many legs. It was able to move considerably faster than expected from its appearance. Kagome's first arrow went astray and bounced off of the shell.
 
“I've got to start practicing!” Kagome yelled as she fired again. This one went more towards its mark as it fried a section at the base of the beast's throat.
 
“Giiive meeee the jeeeeewel…” the creature gurgled.
 
“I don't think so!” Kagome yelled as she nocked another arrow.
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru were both ready to jump in if needed, but Kagome was doing pretty well and InuYasha thought a good fight would help her.
 
The giant turtle mouth opened as it came at Kagome. This time her arrow hit the mark - it went right through the gaping mouth and down its throat to its gullet. There was a pink flash from the inside as its innards were purified.
 
Kagome turned to the brothers. “Well, you two were a big help!”
 
InuYasha grinned sheepishly. “You were doing okay by yourself, and I thought a good fight might help…well, you know.”
 
Kagome looked at him. “You know, what?”
 
InuYasha didn't like that look on her face. “You haven't used your powers in a month. I just wanted you to get you confidence back. We wouldn't have let anything happen to you.”
 
“InuYasha...SIT!”
 
“OW! Why'd you do that!” InuYasha yelled with his mouth full of dirt.
 
“I haven't used that in a month, either!” Kagome taunted.
 
Sesshomaru reminded himself not to make the miko angry.
 
 
They thought that they might make it through the afternoon without incident, but it was not to be. An eagle-youkai and its mate attacked them as they flew towards the setting sun. This time both InuYasha and Sesshomaru got involved. The eagles were more cunning than their previous attackers.
 
The eagles dove at them in complete silence, but InuYasha and Sesshomaru already knew they were coming. InuYasha had backed away from Kagome and stood up on Ah-Uhn's back, freeing his sword from its sheath. Sesshomaru's whip was glowing at his hand and Kagome had an arrow nocked and ready to fire.
 
Whether Kagome wanted to admit it or not, her confidence was definitely better after the incident at lunch. She turned towards the diving eagle youkai and hit it square in the chest. In a flash of pink, it plummeted towards the ground and disappeared into a pile of dust.
 
The second eagle was diving for them, but InuYasha was ready. Calling for Sesshomaru to stay clear, he yelled, “Wind Scar!” and sent the blast straight at it. The eagle realized too late what was headed for it, and joined its mate as it vanished from sight.
 
InuYasha was still uneasy, and he suddenly knew why. He heard “SIT” and felt himself slam into Ah-Uhn's back as a third eagle barely missed grabbing him. It still grazed his back with its talons and ripped his flesh as it screeched in anger at missing its target.
 
“INUYASHA!” Kagome yelled as she saw the blood pour from his back.
 
“Oi, wench, I've been hurt worse,” InuYasha replied as he winced in pain. Damn those talons hurt.
 
Sesshomaru suddenly appeared in front of the eagle, and dodged to one side to let it fly by him. As it did, he lashed out with his whip and encircled its neck. In one deft move, he flicked his wrist and the head came flying off of the body. With another flick, his whip retracted and vanished and the headless body fell to the ground.
 
Sesshomaru headed towards the ground and Ah-Uhn followed. When they landed, Sesshomaru helped Kagome down and then turned towards his brother.
 
Kagome had pulled out her blanket and thrown it on the ground. She and Sesshomaru pulled off InuYasha's haori and shirt and made him lay down on his stomach so Kagome could tend to his wounds.
 
Sesshomaru watched as Kagome gently cared for InuYasha. She pulled bottles and bandages out of her bag and went to work in a manner that told him she had done this many times before.
 
Once she was satisfied with her handiwork, Kagome packed her medical supplies away. As she did, she took a look around her. “This area seems familiar,” she wondered out loud.
 
Then she knew why. “Is that the hot spring we came to before?”
 
Sesshomaru replied, “Yes. This is where we were last before you went home. We can spend the night here and we should make it to my home by tomorrow afternoon.
 
“Is the area safe still?” She asked.
 
Sesshomaru nodded so she pulled off her clothes. “I'm going in. InuYasha, I didn't put any bandages on your back since the wounds are already healing. It wouldn't hurt you to take a bath, either.”
 
InuYasha muttered something about already being half undressed, anyway, as he pulled off his remaining clothes and followed her in.
 
InuYasha caught his breath as he saw Kagome's bare back in the sunlight. The very worst of the slashes to her body by the wolves had scarred in spite of his best efforts. They were faint, but still visible in the late afternoon sun. How he wished he could have killed them himself for what they had done.
 
Sesshomaru went for a patrol of the area and to stretch his legs while InuYasha and Kagome sat in the warm water. When he came back, he found them both sitting in the water side by side. It looked like Kagome had washed her hair as well as InuYasha's since both of their heads were wet. Wondering if she would do the same for him again, he looked over to see Kagome beckoning him to join them.
 
Knowing at least one of them needed to stay out and keep guard, InuYasha rose out of the water and climbed out. Not wanting to be totally naked if they were attacked he decided to at least put his hakama back on, leaving his back bare so the slashes would be unfettered to heal.
 
Kagome had just finished rinsing Sesshomaru's hair when InuYasha emitted a low warning growl. Sesshomaru stood and said quietly, “Get out and get dressed. Quickly.”
 
Kagome did as she was told. When she had her shoes back on she asked softly, “What is it?”
 
InuYasha now had Tessaiga out and transformed.
 
“Wolves,” he and Sesshomaru replied together.
 
InuYasha grabbed Kagome as she started to sag. He could smell the fear rolling off of her.
 
A dozen wolf demons plus their wolves emerged into the clearing.
 
Sesshomaru stepped forward and with a menacing growl proclaimed, “Wolf youkai and their wolves are not welcome in the Western Lands. Leave if you value your skins.”
 
One of the wolf demons stepped forward and demanded, “Is that why you murdered our brothers! You slaughtered them and left them for the scavengers to ravage their bodies!”
 
“It was no less than they deserved for the deceit and betrayal they showed. If my brother had been conscious, this Sesshomaru would have revived your leader just so he could kill him again,” the Taiyoukai said calmly.
 
Two wolf-demons that Kagome and InuYasha recognized stepped forward. “Sister, why? Kouga told us he was going to get you and bring you back.” Their words were not harsh; they could smell the fear emanating from Kagome. She had not been afraid of them since Kouga had first snatched her and brought her back to their den.
 
InuYasha snarled at them, “Did he mention that he was going to take her against her will? That he had no intention of taking her as his mate? That he only intended to rape her over and over and throw her to the pack? That he wanted to make her so that no other would ever want to touch her?”
 
Ginta and Hakkaku looked stunned. “He did what? He wouldn't…he was always proclaiming his love for Kagome,” Ginta finally answered.
 
“He did,” Kagome finally spoke up. She had sunk to the ground because her legs would not hold her up any more. “Kouga raped me and forced InuYasha to watch. He would have killed us both if Sesshomaru had not arrived when he did. Did you not suspect what he was going to do when he brought fifty of his pack with him?”
 
“We…we never thought…he said he wanted to make sure that InuYasha didn't interfere when you wanted to leave with him.”
 
Sesshomaru spoke again, “InuYasha saved Kouga's life numerous times. Kouga chose to repay him by raping his intended and forcing him to watch, with the intent on killing InuYasha when he was finished. He had four of your pack restrain the Miko so he could rape her while another eight held InuYasha after Kouga had already shattered his arm and leg. They made the mistake of attacking my brother and his intended in my territory. This Sesshomaru has total authority here. Anyone who chooses to challenge me will die.”
 
One of the wolf-demons had tried to sneak up on Sesshomaru while he was addressing them. As the ookami jumped, Sesshomaru turned and caught him by the throat. The wolf-demon started howling in pain as Sesshomaru's poison claws dug into his neck. When the body went limp, Sesshomaru hurled it at the others, “Take this vermin and leave. If I see you again in my lands, I will kill you. If any of you come near InuYasha or the Miko again, I will kill you. Make no mistake, this Sesshomaru will hunt you down.”
 
One of the others finally challenged, “What proof do you have of any of this. How can we believe what you say?”
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha, “Help me up, please.”
 
As he helped her stand, Kagome turned into InuYasha, her face drenched in tears. She was leaning her forehead to his chest and holding his waist as she said, “Show them my back.”
 
InuYasha carefully pulled up the back of her t-shirt, exposing the scars on her back for all to see. Kagome was openly sobbing now as he lowered her shirt and pulled her into his chest, wrapping his arm around her.
 
“It wasn't just her back. Her entire body was cut up. Kouga and the others ripped her flesh up with their claws and fangs as they tormented her and he raped her. It's taken her weeks to heal. She has nightmares every night. Kouga did not want her; he just wanted to make sure that no one else did since she didn't want to go with him,” InuYasha was snarling again as he spoke.
 
“This is your last warning. Leave my lands and return to your home,” Sesshomaru said with finality.
 
Ginta and Hakkaku looked at Kagome. “We…we're sorry Kagome, we didn't know.” They dropped their heads and turned to follow the others. If anyone had treated one of their wolf bitches the same way that Kouga had treated Kagome, they would have received the same treatment, if not worse. Kouga may have been their leader, but no one with any honor could ever condone such behavior.
 
InuYasha held the still sobbing Kagome against his bare chest. “Sesshomaru, we won't be getting any sleep tonight. I need to try and get Kagome to eat something, but then can we continue on after Ah-Uhn has rested? You said it wasn't that much further to your castle.”
 
Sesshomaru studied the pair. “That may be best. It isn't good to be out here in the open with the Miko and what she carries. Is there any more food in her pack, or do we need to catch something?”
 
InuYasha motioned for Sesshomaru to come to him, “Kagome, Sesshomaru will hold you while I find something for you to eat, okay?” He kissed her on her forehead and Sesshomaru wrapped his arm around her and pulled her to him. Kagome was still sobbing softly.
 
InuYasha went to rummage around in her backpack and pulled out some Ramen.
 
“Let's boil some water,” he said as he pulled out a pot to place on the fire he had started earlier.
 
Sesshomaru was still wary as he held Kagome and watched InuYasha prepare the noodles. Kagome had finally exhausted herself crying, and was staring off into the distance.
 
Once InuYasha had the Ramen ready, he took Kagome back from Sesshomaru and handed him a cup. “Try `em…they're pretty good,” he told his brother.
 
Kagome actually giggled. “Pretty good, you could live on the stuff.”
 
InuYasha handed a cup to her. “Oi, wench, you need to keep your strength up. You have to eat.” InuYasha wiped her face after she took the cup from him. He then picked up the third one and dug in.
 
After they had eaten, InuYasha repacked everything in the oversized backpack. Sesshomaru called Ah-Uhn over from where he was napping in the grass.
 
Kagome looked at the two of them. “We're continuing on tonight?”
 
InuYasha replied, “We won't be able to sleep out here in the open after what happened. Sesshomaru says it's only a few more hours to his home so we can get there sometime tonight. You can sleep, I won't let you fall.”
 
Kagome kissed him on the cheek. “I know you won't. I'm afraid I wouldn't get much sleep anyway after what happened today. I'm glad they did not try to fight, though. That would have made it even worse.”
 
“Are you ready?” InuYasha asked Kagome.
 
“Yes,” Kagome replied so InuYasha lifted her and set her up on Ah-Uhn.
 
InuYasha strapped her bow and quiver directly behind him where he could grab them if necessary. He knew Kagome was exhausted with everything that had happened and would not be able to hold on to them. She needed to sleep. InuYasha jumped up behind her and pulled her back so she could lean back against his chest. When she was secure with his arms wrapped around her, Ah-Uhn took flight once again behind Lord Sesshomaru.
 
 
They had not been in the air very long when Kagome jolted up in InuYasha's arms.
 
“Kagome, what is it?” he asked.
 
“A jewel shard,” She replied.
 
“Are you certain?” InuYasha knew she was, but asked anyway.
 
“Yes, it's in the direction we are headed. I felt it earlier but I was so stressed out about the wolves I thought I imagined it,” Kagome answered.
 
Sesshomaru had heard part of their conversation and dropped back so he was alongside them.
 
“Miko, what did you say?”
 
“There is a jewel shard - the last jewel shard, in the direction we are going. It's about four hours away,” Kagome said.
 
They could not see Sesshomaru's face in the dark. If they had, it would probably have frightened Kagome. Four hours in the direction they were headed was his home.
 
“Are you certain, Miko? Is it moving?” Sesshomaru asked. InuYasha could hear the concern in his voice.
 
So could Kagome. “It seems to be stationary. Sesshomaru, what is it?”
 
“It sounds like someone has that jewel shard in or near my home,” Sesshomaru replied with a growl.
 
“My staff know that I am bringing you back with me. I'm sure some of them have heard the rumors of what you carry and seek. Arriving well ahead of schedule should be to our advantage. Will they be able to hide the shard from you when we arrive?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“No. Even if I'm too far away to see it, I can sense it like I can out here. Once I get close enough, I will be able to tell you exactly where it is,” Kagome replied.
 
“Good,” Sesshomaru replied. He knew the only reason someone would be harboring a jewel shard was because they wanted more power. If any tried to betray him, they would pay dearly.
 
“Miko, try to get some sleep. It sounds like we will be busy once we arrive home,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“He's right, Kagome. I know you're tired. Try to sleep, okay?” InuYasha said.
 
Kagome yawned her answer as she snuggled back into InuYasha's body, his arms wrapped protectively around her.
 
As she fell asleep and her whimpers started, InuYasha held her more tightly and rubbed her abdomen. He knew she would have trouble sleeping peacefully after the encounter with the wolves. As she called his name, he whispered in her ear and kept rubbing, hoping to soothe her fears away. He maintained his vigil even after her breathing evened out and she was asleep again.
 
 
Kagome woke up several times during the next few hours, but InuYasha was able to get her to sleep again. It was still dark when they started their descent towards the ground. When they landed it was difficult to see all that surrounded them. They had arrived at the domain of the Demon Lord of the Western Lands.
 
Lord Sesshomaru was home.
 
 
To be continued…