InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Turmoil ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi and Sunrise.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 15: Turmoil
 
 
The days turned into weeks as Kagome and InuYasha poured over their books. InuYasha had flown through three levels of school by now. At the rate he was going, he would be nearly caught up with Kagome by the time she graduated.
 
Kagome was also doing extremely well. Now that she didn't have to go back and forth between the two eras, her grades were improving drastically. The school officials were starting to think they should have made the exception for her to home school two years ago when Mrs. Higurashi asked the first time. Kagome had elected to come in and take her tests now that she didn't have to worry about Eri any more. Of course InuYasha was still, and always would be, protective of his mate. He would walk Kagome to school for her tests and wait for her to come back home.
 
When Kagome first announced she had decided to go to the school to take her tests, Mama Higurashi had asked if she were really certain that was what she wanted to do. That was when Kagome finally told her of her encounter with Eri the day she and InuYasha had walked Souta to the carnival. Kagome told her everything they had discussed, and that Eri was much nicer now that she had been able to accept her own sexuality. She giggled when she told her mom how Eri had hugged InuYasha in thanks, and InuYasha didn't know what to do. Mama still wasn't sure - she saw how relentless and cruel that Eri could be, but if Kagome wanted to try, then she would let her.
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha went back through the well one weekend just to make sure Kaede was doing okay. They found the village was peaceful and prosperous. Kaede asked that they not come back too often. Apparently there were demons still searching for Kagome and the Shikon no Tama. She was afraid if Kagome's scent turned up too often and too fresh, it would create problems for her village. It was fortunate that both Lord Sesshomaru and Lord Izumioka had taken an interest in the area and checked in whenever they had the opportunity. As word spread that both considered the village under their protection even though it was not on their lands, the number of youkai searching there for the miko declined.
 
Kaede was sad when she asked Kagome and InuYasha not to return before Sango was due to give birth to her child. Kagome told her she understood and gave Kaede a hug before she and InuYasha returned back through the well. They did ask that Kaede let Lord Sesshomaru know approximately when they would be back the next time she saw him.
 
 
Kagome had come home from taking one of her tests at school in an odd mood. InuYasha couldn't get her to tell him what was bothering her. He was also worried about her in other ways and finally went to her mother with his concerns. Kagome was moodier than usual plus he'd noticed her breasts were sore and she had not been in heat since before they mated. She was usually almost insatiable but had hardly allowed him to touch her the last few weeks. InuYasha was blushing furiously when he approached Mama Higurashi with his worries.
 
InuYasha was having a difficult time explaining that Kagome just didn't smell right. He knew she wasn't pregnant because she would have to have been in heat at some point. He did his best to answer the questions that Mama asked him about her daughter. Mama asked InuYasha to stay put while she went and found the information the doctor had given her regarding the birth control shot Kagome had been given. It appeared that Kagome was experiencing most of the side effects in one form or another, and some of them pretty seriously. InuYasha was relieved to find that Kagome should return to normal once the effects of the shot wore off. Mama told him she would talk with Kagome about a different method of birth control that wouldn't affect her body so drastically. She too had noticed that Kagome had become more moody, even depressed. She hoped the shot was the only reason why.
 
Kagome had gone up to her room when she came home, and InuYasha's heart had sunk at the glare she gave him when he had tried to find out what was wrong on the walk back from the school. InuYasha went out and hopped in the Goshinboku while Mama went up to talk to her daughter.
 
 
Mama knocked on Kagome's door before she entered her room. She found her daughter with her head buried in her pillow, crying.
 
“Kagome, what's wrong?” Mama asked softly as she sat on the edge of the bed and rubbed her daughter's back.
 
“Nuthin',” was all Mama heard muffled from the pillow.
 
“Kagome, InuYasha is worried sick about you, and I'll have to admit, I'm worried, too. What is it?” Mama pressed more urgently.
 
“Mama, I know I had that shot, but what if I'm pregnant? I'm not ready for that yet.” Kagome sat up and threw herself in her mother's arms.
 
“Kagome, you aren't pregnant. The shot has some similar same side effects though. InuYasha came to me because he was worried about you, so I pulled out the information on it, and it looks like you are having nearly all of the side effects, and some of them are pretty bad. I don't think you should get another one,” Mama replied.
 
“But my breasts are swollen and I haven't had a period,” Kagome cried.
 
“Those are some of the side effects. The shot doesn't work like the other methods - it keeps you from ovulating at all. Remember the doctor talking about it? Unfortunately depression is also a side effect, and I think that's what's making you feel this way,” Mama answered as she kissed her daughter's forehead.
 
“Are you sure?” Kagome asked quietly.
 
“I'm sure,” Mama answered, and then continued, “Is there something else? You've been moody, but you were pretty surly when you came home from school. Was your test that bad? Or is it something else? You sent InuYasha running out to sit in the tree.”
 
“Ayume is getting married after she graduates,” Kagome answered, and then added, “Why hasn't InuYasha asked me to marry him?”
 
Mama Higurashi looked at her daughter. “He told me when he took you as his mate is was a commitment like marriage. Are you sure he understands marriage?”
 
“He was at Miroku and Sango's wedding. He saw the ceremony,” Kagome replied.
 
“But does he really understand? In his mind, you may already be married. He did say it was a life commitment. In fact it sounded to me like it is more permanent than marriage. Have you told him that's what you want? He knows you are unhappy, but he hasn't been able to figure out why. Why don't you just talk to him - or do you want me to?” Mama asked.
 
“It's not just that, Mama. How long do we have to keep it secret that we are together? I'm so tired of hiding,” Kagome said softly.
 
Mama pulled Kagome to her in a hug. “I know. I was just trying to get you through your last year in school. I've tried to provide some time alone for you two to have some privacy, but I know it can't be easy. Maybe if we talk to InuYasha and announce you are getting married it will solve the whole problem.”
 
“But what if he doesn't want to marry me?” Kagome was about to cry again.
 
“Kagome, InuYasha loves you. I dare say he'll do anything for you to make you happy. Why do you think he has been working so hard to learn so he can try to fit in better if you want to stay here? Couldn't he just as easily insisted you go back to his era? Instead, he's trying to find a way to provide for you and make you proud of him. Don't try to drive him away with your insecurities like you did before. He's made a commitment to you, and you need to trust that he will do the right thing if you tell him what you want,” Mama Higurashi answered her daughter, her arm still around her.
 
“You're right. I've been blaming him for something he probably didn't really understand. I didn't even realize that was what I wanted until Ayume announced she's getting married right after graduation,” Kagome replied through her sniffles.
 
“Then how could he know what's wrong if you didn't even know yourself? Now, is there anything else?” Mama asked.
 
Kagome shook her head.
 
“All right, but you didn't answer me before - do you want to talk to him about this alone, do you want me to, or do you want to do it together?” Mama asked.
 
Kagome sighed. “I'll talk to him. I owe him that. I could tell he's been concerned and he tried to get me to tell him what was wrong. I've treated him poorly because I didn't really understand myself.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha had only been perched on his favorite branch a short while when he heard a familiar voice below. “What troubles you, Little Brother?”
 
InuYasha jumped down. “Where did you come from?” He looked around, but didn't see Sesshomaru's car and driver.
 
“I haven't lost my old and more familiar modes of transportation,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
InuYasha nodded. He assumed Sesshomaru flew. “How did you know?”
 
“I'm still tied to you by my mark. I could feel your worry from my home,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“I don't know what's wrong with Kagome. Her mother thinks it is that birth control shot she took, but I don't know. I think it's something more. What if she thinks she made a mistake and doesn't want me any more?” InuYasha answered.
 
“You're still a baka, Little Brother. Have you tapped into her feelings through your mark?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“She's depressed, but I can't determine the reason why. Everything is in a jumble,” InuYasha answered. Sesshomaru could see his ears pinned to his head through his concealment charm.
 
“She's talking to her mother now?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
InuYasha nodded. “I couldn't make out what they said, though I thought I heard something about marriage.”
 
“Maybe she wants you to marry her,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“But she's my mate! That bond is deeper than any marriage. I saw the ceremony between Sango and Miroku. They exchanged a few words and proclaimed they were married. There's nothing to say they can't quit if they want out. Mates are bonded for life,” InuYasha said.
 
“She's human, InuYasha. A wedding ceremony is important to humans, especially females,” Sesshomaru said thoughtfully, and then added, “Only other youkai can tell you are mates. There is no way for other humans to do so. The wedding ceremony is like a formal declaration to everyone that you are mates. They also usually announce their engagement prior to the ceremony so that everyone knows that the couple will be joined.”
 
InuYasha looked at his brother. “How do you know all of this stuff? You were never interested in human customs.”
 
Sesshomaru sighed. “I had five hundred years to grow accustomed to this age. I did not get dropped into it like you did - not to mention I have a human ward. Even Rin wanted to get married.”
 
InuYasha looked hopeful. “So you know what I need to do?”
 
“First, you need to get her an engagement ring,” As if on cue, Sesshomaru's town car pulled up.
 
The chauffeur opened the door and Kichou's head popped out. “Are you coming? It feels like we have some shopping to do.”
 
InuYasha looked at the house. “I shouldn't leave without telling someone. I'll be right back.”
 
InuYasha ran in and discovered that Souta was home from school. InuYasha told Souta he was going with his brother and took off out the door again. Souta shrugged his shoulders and went up to his room to start his homework.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Mama and Kagome finally came down from her room. Kagome went out to the tree, but was surprised to find that InuYasha wasn't there. She came back in and told her mother he was gone, and promptly burst into tears. “It's my fault - he's left me!” Kagome cried. “I could tell he was worried and upset, and I drove him away!”
 
Mama hugged Kagome. “Dear, I'm sure he's just gone for a little while. Maybe he just needed to clear his head.”
 
That was the wrong thing to say - Kagome just bawled louder. Now she was hysterical.
 
Souta heard the racket and came downstairs. “What's wrong, Sis?”
 
“InuYasha's gone - I don't know where he went!” Kagome wailed.
 
Souta looked puzzled. “He said he was going with his brother.”
 
“He…he left me?” Kagome asked. She couldn't think of any other reason for his brother to come and get him.
 
“Dunno - he just said he was leaving,” Souta replied.
 
Kagome cried while Mama patted her back and tried to comfort her. She was certain InuYasha would be back. He was hurt when he went out, but she knew InuYasha couldn't stay away from her daughter for long.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
They were at their fourth jeweler when Kichou finally said, “Why are we fooling around with these common jewelers? We should have gone straight to Antonio and let InuYasha spend some of that money you put in trust for him there. He's bound to have something that would work.”
 
Sesshomaru sighed. He knew his mate was usually right. InuYasha had finally gotten the idea what he was supposed to do, but couldn't find anything beautiful enough for his mate. He also didn't want anything that was too common that just anyone might show up with.
 
They got back in the car and told the chauffeur where to go. They pulled up at a plain looking house that didn't look anything out of the ordinary. Once they went through the concealment charm around the building, InuYasha realized where they were was anything but ordinary.
 
There were rings and stones here that InuYasha had not seen the likes of in any other store. Then he spotted it - a platinum band with one large rose pink diamond cut in a heart shape with a small white diamond set between two matching rubies on either side of it for a total of seven stones. It was the first ring he had seen he thought beautiful enough for Kagome to wear. He also thought it represented them, the pink heart for Kagome and the red and white for him. Antonio also had simple platinum wedding bands that matched the engagement ring.
 
Kichou looked at Sesshomaru. “Well, he does have good taste.”
 
InuYasha asked, “But how do I pay for them?”
 
“Oh, that's not a problem, Little Brother. I have your credit card with me. I brought it just in case. I knew you haven't used the one I gave you with your papers yet,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“Is there anything else I should get her while we are here?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Well, Christmas is coming up,” Kichou replied.
 
“Krismas?” InuYasha was unfamiliar with the holiday.
 
“It's a winter holiday where people exchange gifts. Humans are especially fond of the custom,” Kichou replied.
 
It didn't take InuYasha long to find what he wanted. Antonio had a set of earrings and pendent that matched the side stones of the engagement band. They were simple, but elegant. Sesshomaru told him to wrap the lot up and handed him InuYasha's card. InuYasha signed the receipt and headed back out to the car with his treasures.
 
Once he got back outside of the spell that surrounded the jeweler, InuYasha felt a panicky feeling go through him. “I'd better get home. Kagome's upset.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded - he could feel it, too.
 
 
InuYasha didn't realize how late it was. They had been looking at jewelry for hours. Sesshomaru's chauffeur opened the door, and InuYasha stepped out and immediately slammed to the ground. Hitting the concrete hurt way more than eating dirt did.
 
“Oi, what…,” was all he got out before he heard, “SIT! SIT! SIT! SIT! SIT!”
 
“KAGOME! STOP - YOU'LL HURT HIM!” Mama had run out after her and was yelling at Kagome. She could tell that whether InuYasha wanted to admit it or not, getting smashed into the concrete hurt.
 
InuYasha didn't move. He was afraid something might break if she did it again. In fact he was afraid he might already have cracked his jaw.
 
“He ran off and left me!” Kagome cried.
 
“STOP IT!” This time it was Sesshomaru.
 
“WHY DID HE LEAVE WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING?” Kagome cried.
 
“What is wrong with you, Miko? You've never panicked like this!” Sesshomaru asked. “InuYasha told your little brother he was coming with me and would be back later.”
 
Kagome sniffled. “Souta just said he left with you. I thought he was gone for good.”
 
InuYasha still had not moved or said anything. He didn't want to get thrown against the concrete again.
 
Sesshomaru suddenly understood why InuYasha was so worried. Kagome was depressed and irrational. Even through his mark he was getting a jumble of emotions that didn't make any sense.
 
“Miko, heal thyself,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Wha…what?” Kagome replied.
 
“You are being totally irrational. You are depressed; your hormones are a mess. You need to heal yourself,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“What do you mean?” Mama asked.
 
“I now understand why InuYasha was so concerned. I came because I could feel his distress from the other side of Tokyo. Kagome's body is out of control. She needs to use her miko healing powers on herself, and put her body back in balance,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
Kichou stepped forward. “Kagome, do you really think InuYasha would leave you?”
 
“N…no,” Kagome answered.
 
“Then why did you throw him into the ground like that? Do you realize he could have broken something? That's concrete you slammed him into. You could have seriously hurt him. Is that how you treat your mate?” Kichou asked.
 
Sesshomaru could feel the distress rolling off of his brother and the miko.
 
“InuYasha, get up.”
 
InuYasha made a very slight movement of his head that made it clear he wasn't moving. He didn't trust Kagome not to sit him again the minute his head cleared the ground.
 
Sesshomaru felt the pain rolling from him, both emotional and physical. He turned to Kagome and commanded, “Remove that rosary now.”
 
Kagome was startled. “What?”
 
“Remove it. You've broken his jaw, and he's afraid to get up,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Kagome, how could you!” This time it was her mother. “Remove that thing now!”
 
“Oh Kami! What have I done!” Kagome now had tears running down her face. She realized she was irrational and downright paranoid. How could she have done this to InuYasha?
 
Kagome went to him and bent down to see a tear leak from the corner of his eye to trail down the side of his face. She knew it wasn't for himself, but for her. Kagome tugged at the rosary and was able to coax him to sit up as she removed it from around his neck.
 
Kagome looked at Sesshomaru through the tears clinging to her lashes. “What do I need to do?”
 
Sesshomaru turned to his mate, and she nodded her approval. Sesshomaru took Kagome and InuYasha and led them to Goshinboku. He knew there was something about the tree that helped to clear one's mind, so that was a good place to start.
 
Sesshomaru helped InuYasha sit at the base of the tree, and had him pull Kagome to his body as he had done so often before. Sesshomaru whispered to Kagome what to do, how to focus on healing herself as well as her mate. He sat on the ground and faced her, holding her hand, as she surrounded the three of them with her aura.
 
Kichou and Mama Higurashi looked on in amazement. Neither of them really knew what Kagome was capable of. Kichou had been surrounded in that aura herself, but did not realize how powerful it was until she was looking at it from the outside.
 
Kagome concentrated on healing her frayed body, putting her hormones back in balance and her mind back at ease. She concentrated on healing InuYasha even though she knew his jaw would mend probably by the next day - she didn't think he should have to spend a minute longer than necessary with the pain that she had caused. She thought only about healing whatever may need it, whether it be body or soul.
 
When Kagome finally felt at peace, her aura receded back into her body. She opened her eyes to see everyone staring at Sesshomaru.
 
His missing arm had grown back.
 
 
InuYasha had not yet opened his eyes. He was breathing in Kagome's once again calming scent as he held her to his body. He was enjoying the sense of peace and contentment that flowed through the two of them again. InuYasha wasn't quite ready to let Kagome go as he sat with his arms wrapped around her.
 
Everyone else was in shock. No one knew what to do or say, but just looked at Sesshomaru in silence and awe.
 
Sesshomaru had turned loose of Kagome's hand and was staring at his left arm, which now filled the sleeve that usually was tucked in his pocket. He tentatively stretched it out and flexed it, then outstretched his hand and flexed his fingers. He had his arm fully stretched in front of him, admiring his new hand when InuYasha opened his eyes.
 
“Wha…what happened?” InuYasha asked in amazement.
 
“I…I don't know,” replied Kagome. “I was concentrating on healing whatever needed to be healed, whether it be body or soul. Sesshomaru was helping me focus on healing you and myself, but I guess I unconsciously included him as well.”
 
As Kichou stared at her mate, she suddenly understood why Lord Sesshomaru had brought Kagome under his protection five centuries ago, and why InuYasha had gone along with it so willingly. Kichou now realized why they were so concerned that youkai other than the wolf Kouga might want to claim Kagome if she were marked only by the hanyou. Kagome was indeed powerful, and there would those who would want to use her powers for themselves and their own purposes - most of which would not be good. Sesshomaru had just recently revealed to Kichou where the miko had vanished to when she left, and that was because of the thug that got a look at InuYasha's ears the night they were attacked. Sesshomaru finally told her that Sunday morning on their way to visit the shrine for the first time.
 
Kagome knew the others wanted to talk to her, but she had something more important to do first. “Do you mind going inside and letting me speak with InuYasha alone first? I have some things I need to say to him.”
 
The others nodded and Sesshomaru stood and followed Mama Higurashi and Kichou into the house.
 
When the others had gone inside and closed the door behind them, Kagome turned and hugged InuYasha. “Oh InuYasha, I'm so sorry. I can't believe what I did to you. I don't know why I acted the way I did. I've been awful the last few weeks.”
 
InuYasha kissed Kagome softly before he replied, “I've been able to tell something was wrong, but you wouldn't talk about it. Then when you came home from school today, you scared me. I thought you were afraid you had made a mistake and didn't want me any more. I talked to your mother and she thought it was the shot, but I was still worried you wanted to send me away.”
 
“I'm sorry. First I was worried I was pregnant when I wasn't ready yet, even though I knew it was supposed to be almost impossible on that shot. Then I was upset because Ayume told me while I was waiting for my test that Niro asked her to marry him once she graduated. I didn't understand why you have never asked me to marry you, to show everyone that we are together,” Kagome responded.
 
“If you would have talked to me, I could have told you that you weren't pregnant - I would be able to smell the change in your body. You haven't been in heat even once since we've been mated, and that was one of the things I was worried about. You were always regular before. I'm surprised you and others never figured out why I was so stressed and in such a bad mood at least once a month. As far a getting married, I didn't know it was important to you until I tried to overhear what you told your mother.”
 
InuYasha saw the look that crossed her face - he was glad the rosary was off at the moment. “I honestly only wanted to know what was wrong with you. You are my mate; I thought you understood you could tell me anything. I only heard enough to hear the word marriage. I couldn't hear much sitting out here in the tree. Sesshomaru could feel my distress and showed up to find out what was wrong. He was the one that explained the importance of the wedding ceremony, especially to human females.”
 
Kagome looked surprised. “Sesshomaru knows human customs?”
 
“Well, like he told me, he lived the five hundred years up to now and didn't get dropped into it like I did. Plus, Rin is his ward, and apparently even she wanted a wedding. That was when Kichou showed up and they took me shopping.”
 
“Shopping?” Kagome asked.
 
“I was trying to figure out how to ask you properly, what I was supposed to do. I didn't really plan to do it quite like this.”
 
Kagome looked puzzled and InuYasha pulled one of the now squashed boxes out of his pocket. He was praying that the contents were undamaged.
 
“Sesshomaru told me that humans sometimes exchange bands when they exchange wedding vows, so I bought these,” InuYasha said as he handed her the box that contained the matched wedding bands.
 
Kagome started crying. InuYasha plastered his ears to his skull. “I'm sorry, Kagome, if you don't like them, we can get something else. I probably should have asked, but I wanted to surprise you.”
 
Kagome threw her arms around InuYasha and held him as close as she could. “They're perfect, InuYasha. I'm crying because I'm happy, and because I've been such a baka. I can't believe I ever thought for even a minute that you would ever leave me.”
 
InuYasha breathed a sigh of relief. “Well that wasn't all. I have one more.”
 
He pulled out another smaller box, also slightly squished and really praying the contents of this one weren't damaged. At the moment he was extremely grateful that he had given the pendant and earrings to his brother for safekeeping. “Sesshomaru also told me that usually there is an engagement announcement so that others will know that we intend to get married. This was supposed to be for that.”
 
InuYasha pulled the ring with the pink diamond heart as the centerpiece out of its box and presented it to Kagome. She showed him which finger to slip it on and then admired it on her hand. Tears still leaking from the corners of her eyes, she wrapped her hands around InuYasha's head, fisting her fingers in his hair and drew him to her mouth in a kiss.
 
When they finally pulled apart, InuYasha kissed her softly once more, “Kagome?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Will you promise me not to get another of those shots? I don't like what it did to you. I understand you don't want pups yet, but I would rather you lock me away when you are fertile than go through any of that again,” InuYasha said rather seriously, then added, “Your mother did say there were other ways that shouldn't affect you so much.”
 
Kagome kissed him again. “I don't like what it did to me, either. InuYasha, I'm so sorry I didn't trust you and that I hurt you. I was so paranoid and hysterical when I couldn't find you I thought you had left for good. I can't believe I hurt you like that. I'll never ask you to wear the rosary again.”
 
InuYasha pulled her hand to his face and kissed it before he pressed it to his cheek, “Kagome, I want it back.”
 
“Wha…what?” Kagome answered.
 
“You now have my ring, but I always thought of the rosary as, well, your mark on me, visible for others to see. It's like a part of you I carry with me. I don't really feel right without it. The only thing I would ask is that you please not sit me when I'm standing on concrete again,” InuYasha said.
 
“Are…are you sure?” Kagome asked softly.
 
“Yeah,” InuYasha replied.
 
Kagome took the rosary from around her wrist where she had wrapped it and held it out. InuYasha lowered his head and Kagome placed it back around his neck. InuYasha pulled her back into his lap into another kiss. When they pulled apart, he rested his forehead against hers and said, “I'm glad you're back, Kagome. I was really worried. I love you and I'll never leave you.”
 
Kagome kissed him gently on his lips and said, “Thank you, InuYasha. I love you, too.”
 
They sat in silence, holding each other until they felt another presence join them. Without looking up, InuYasha knew his brother was there.
 
InuYasha stood and helped Kagome to her feet. Sesshomaru came to her and didn't say anything at first, just wrapped both of his arms around her and pulled her to his body, kissing her on the forehead.
 
When he relaxed his grip, Kagome stepped back and looked up at him. “Sesshomaru, thank you for coming. Thank you for helping InuYasha, and thank you for helping me help myself.”
 
Sesshomaru actually chuckled. “I'm glad I came. I knew you were powerful, but even I didn't suspect you were capable of this.”
 
Sesshomaru was stretching and flexing his new arm as he spoke, “I think your mother would like to see you inside. I have some business with my brother if you would leave us for a few minutes.”
 
Kagome nodded and gave Sesshomaru one more hug before she went into the house. Sesshomaru watched the door close behind her and then went and sat on the bench, indicating that he wanted InuYasha to join him.
 
InuYasha sat down, his ears pinned to his head. “You're ashamed I'm your brother again, aren't you?”
 
“No, InuYasha. What makes you think that?” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“I knew something was wrong with Kagome, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Then I was afraid of the subjugation spell and wouldn't get up. You had to save my sorry ass again.”
 
“InuYasha, look at me,” Sesshomaru commanded.
 
When he had eye contact he continued, “I understand why you could not determine what was wrong with your mate. You are with her every day and the hormonal changes would have happened so gradually you would not be able to tell precisely what went wrong or when. You did know that something was wrong, but because of your close contact with Kagome on a continuous basis, you could not decipher exactly what it was. I could tell the difference because I had not seen her in several weeks.
 
"As far as tapping into your miko's feelings, I was wrong calling you a baka for not being able to tell. Her emotions were such a mess because of her hormones being out of balance that I could not make any sense of what she was feeling, either. Considering her state of mind, if Kagome had slammed me into the concrete half a dozen times like she did you and broken my jaw, I would have thought twice about getting up, too. No, I am not ashamed of you. You knew something was wrong and were trying to help. The distress I felt emanating from you was not for yourself, but because you did not know how to help your mate. I'm glad I was able to help, and I received a benefit I never dreamed of.”
 
InuYasha looked at Sesshomaru's new arm. “Kagome is really powerful, isn't she? I knew she was, but had no idea she could do something like that.”
 
“Kichou never really understood why I marked her, and why you willingly allowed it, until she saw that display tonight. Even though she had been wrapped in Kagome's aura herself, she did not realize how powerful it was until she saw it from the outside. After five hundred years, she suddenly understood. I think she is already making plans to test these fingers,” Sesshomaru responded as he flexed his new hand again.
 
“InuYasha, I wanted to talk to you for a different reason. One that has to do with the fact that Kagome's body will soon be back to normal and she will start having heat cycles again,” Sesshomaru said.
 
InuYasha looked at Sesshomaru rather puzzled. He had not been concerned about Sesshomaru wanting Kagome again because he was pretty certain that Kichou wouldn't be too happy about it - she was not the type to share. InuYasha also knew that Mama intended to talk to Kagome about a different form of birth control that wouldn't change her body so much, though he really was willing to keep away from her when she was in heat until she was ready for pups - InuYasha would do anything to not repeat today's events.
 
Sesshomaru started in on a conversation he knew he had five hundred years ago with his brother. It's just that it wouldn't take place for several more weeks at least so Sesshomaru decided he'd better tell him now in case it came up, which he was pretty sure would happen knowing his brother and the miko.
 
InuYasha was as red as his firerat as Sesshomaru had a very similar and very blunt discussion similar to the one that Kaminari had with Sesshomaru before he took Kichou as his mate. He wanted to make sure that InuYasha knew the possibilities that may or may not happen. The problem was there was so little information on a hanyou taking a mate, much less an Inu-hanyou, that everything was guesswork. However, if they became tied during mating, Sesshomaru wanted to make sure that at least one of them knew what was happening. Sesshomaru also offered InuYasha one other warning - if InuYasha implanted fertile seed in Kagome when she was in heat, even on birth control she could override the hormones just as she had healed herself tonight. In other words, if she really wanted to accept his seed, she could do so. And while Sesshomaru wasn't sure if a hanyou could control his seed like a full demon could, he told him the methods and how to tell the difference, just in case. If InuYasha had the ability to learn that control, it would help him a great deal until they were ready for pups.
 
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru came back in to find that everyone had moved to the living room. Grandpa and Souta had joined them. Apparently Grandpa had kept Souta inside when Kagome and Mama had gone out to meet InuYasha. He had been stunned to find out his granddaughter was powerful enough to restore an arm that had been missing for five hundred years. No longer afraid of the full demons in their home, Jii-chan just stared at Sesshomaru's new arm.
 
Grandpa had scowled at InuYasha when he came back in with his brother. Apparently Mama had decided to announce their engagement after Kagome came back in and showed her the new ring. Mama's response was to hug Kagome and then to hug InuYasha when he entered the living room. Grandpa should have recognized the inevitable, but Mama decided if he raised too much of a fuss she would mention that InuYasha happened to own the shrine and the surrounding forest. She had not passed that bit of knowledge along yet.
 
Souta's response was pretty much as expected. InuYasha was his hero and he was thrilled that he would soon be his brother-in-law. He also informed them that he couldn't wait until he was an uncle. Kagome blushed at that.
 
InuYasha and Kagome's stomachs both gave a loud rumble, which made them realize they had not had dinner. Sesshomaru announced that the engagement and his new arm were a cause for celebration, and that they should all go out - his treat. Even Jii-chan couldn't turn down a free meal.
 
Not everyone could fit in Sesshomaru's town car. He said he would have used the limo if he'd known they would all be going out. Mama Higurashi said that was okay. Kagome and InuYasha could go with Kichou and Sesshomaru, and she would drive Grandpa and Souta. Sesshomaru and Kichou waited in the living room while everyone else went to change for dinner.
 
Kagome led InuYasha to the bathroom first. His face was still dirty from being slammed into the ground, so she wanted to clean him up first. She went ahead and washed her own tear stained face as well. Once she felt they were presentable, they went to her room and changed.
 
Kagome was wearing her blue sweater dress that she had worn on their first date again with her necklace and earrings of royal blue, black and silver. InuYasha wore black dress pants, a red silk shirt and a black sports coat. He even wore his pair of black shoes they had purchased. Kagome helped him tie his hair back with a strip of black leather. When they were both ready, they went downstairs to join the others.
 
They arrived at one of the finest restaurants in Tokyo. Kagome caught her breath when she saw where they were being taken. She knew people made reservations months in advance just to get in. Apparently it was no problem for Lord Sesshomaru. He had called while waiting for the others to change. They were taken to their table immediately upon arrival.
 
It seemed like everyone knew the Demon Lord. People kept dropping by their table to pay their respects. Sesshomaru would introduce them to his brother and his finance and her family. Kagome could tell the youkai - they would smile knowingly since they could tell that she and InuYasha were already mates. They also had the good graces not to say anything since they weren't sure who at the table was aware of that.
 
When dinner was finally complete Mama told Sesshomaru thank you, and that she should take Grandpa and Souta home. Sesshomaru asked if he could speak to her for a minute alone before she left.
 
Sesshomaru led Mama Higurashi to a bench in the lobby and asked her to sit.
 
Before Sesshomaru had a chance to speak, Mama said, “Sesshomaru, I never had the chance to thank you for what you did for my daughter and InuYasha. They both told me that you saved them and took care of them after Kouga and his pack attacked them. I know they would have died if you had not been there, and I would never have known what happened to them.”
 
“I could do no less. No one deserves to die at the hands of such treachery and deceit,” Sesshomaru answered, and then continued, “Mrs. Higurashi, I know that you know the truth of InuYasha and Kagome's relationship.”
 
“I understand that they are mates and are bound together for life, like marriage,” Mama answered.
 
“It is much more than marriage; their souls are actually bonded together. If either of them dies, the other usually follows shortly afterwards unless there is an extremely strong reason to live, such as young pups. They are also tied into each other's feelings. Both are emotionally drained at the moment after the turmoil Kagome has been through the last few weeks and need time to rest and recover,” Sesshomaru told her.
 
“What do you recommend?” Mama asked.
 
“That you allow me to take them somewhere together, where they can spend time alone without interruption for at least a couple of days. They need time to forgive each other and to forget the pain,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
“Are you certain they will be all right? Has Kagome really healed herself like you said?” Mama asked.
 
Sesshomaru raised his new arm. “This is proof of how powerful your daughter is, and this was just a side effect of her healing her own body. I will make certain they are well taken care of, they will want for nothing. I own a suite in one of the best hotels in Tokyo. That is where I would like to take them.”
 
“But neither of them has a change of clothes, or even a toothbrush,” Mama said.
 
Sesshomaru smiled. “I will buy them anything they need, though if I know my brother and the miko, they will have little need of clothing.”
 
Mama blushed. InuYasha had actually confessed that Kagome had hardly let him touch her the last few weeks when she usually couldn't get enough. Like mother, like daughter. She knew Sesshomaru was right.
 
“You'll make sure they are brought safely home when they've had enough time together?” Mama Higurashi asked.
 
“Of course,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“I'll just let Souta and Grandfather think that you are taking them for a couple of days. We haven't told them of their relationship yet. Announcing the engagement is just the first step. Keeping this secret is part of what has been wearing on Kagome. I think I'll tell her she doesn't have to wait until she graduates to get married if she doesn't want to,” Mama said thoughtfully. “The sooner everything is out in the open, the better. I guess we had better tell the others.”
 
Just as Mama finished speaking the rest of their party appeared in the lobby. Mama went and took Kagome by the hand and pulled her aside. “Kagome, Sesshomaru is going to take you and InuYasha somewhere for you to be together and alone. I know you will be okay. You don't have to call me unless you want to. When you are ready to come home, I'll be waiting to start planning your wedding. All right?”
 
Kagome hugged her mother. “Thanks, Mama. I have a lot to make up to him.”
 
 
To be continued…