InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Beginning of the Future and Back to the Past ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the anime/manga characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi, but I do own Kichou and any other original characters.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. They help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 26: Beginning of the Future and Back to the Past (Warning: Lemon in chapter)
 
The next three months seemed to go by in a blur. InuYasha and Kagome were moved into the penthouse apartment within a couple of weeks after their honeymoon. In addition to purchasing all of the items needed to make the apartment their home, two separate office areas were set up so that InuYasha and Kagome each had their own workspace and computer. They had a table between their two areas they could share when they needed to spread out with their books. With Sesshomaru's help, they now each had their own tutors as well. InuYasha was learning at an amazing rate, and Kagome was doing much better in math. It looked like she would be able to pass everything with flying colors before time to graduate.
 
Mama had gone shopping with Kagome to buy many of the household items she needed like dishes, cleaning supplies, lamps - the list seemed endless. They took InuYasha with them for the larger items they needed such as additional furniture. They had most everything they needed in place before the couple actually moved into the apartment.
 
Kagome had decided to wear the ivory silk chemise that she didn't get to wear on her honeymoon for their first night alone in the apartment. It had every bit of the reaction that she had hoped for. Kagome had no idea that InuYasha had found it while she lay unconscious on her honeymoon. She had taken her bath to get ready for bed and was wearing it when she came out to their living area where InuYasha was still rearranging some of the furniture more to his liking. He simply jumped over the furniture that was in his way, like the couch and dining room table, and swooped Kagome off her feet and into the master bedroom.
 
While InuYasha tried to be careful with the lingerie so that Kagome could wear it for him again, he was a bit anxious and sliced the thong right off of her. Kagome just sighed with delight as he laid her back on the bed and went to work with his tongue and fingers. Before the night was over, they had christened all four bedrooms. Before the week was over they had christened the entire apartment, including both of the other baths, the kitchen, and the heated pool on the terrace. It was built like a hot tub with a ledge to sit on, and turned out to be exceptionally well designed for making love in. The pool also had an interesting bottom in that it was not hard, but a bit squishy. It didn't hurt if you happened to be on your knees. InuYasha wondered if Sesshomaru had it designed that way on purpose. In any case, he saw lots of future use for the little pool.
 
 
Sesshomaru recommended a couple of exceptional tutors for InuYasha. He was learning at such a fast rate that he actually needed two. One of them just happened to also be good to help Kagome with her math.
 
It had finally been revealed that InuYasha's problem was not that he did not really know how to read and write. His problem was the modern language - it had changed over the centuries. It turned out he could read like a fiend when presented with journals from his era, he had just never let anyone know. Once he adapted and learned the changes in the language, he was almost unstoppable. It looked like he might actually make his goal of catching up with Kagome before she graduated.
 
 
Kagome, as planned, called Kichou for a recommendation for an OB-GYN. As she expected, Kichou knew of an excellent one that dealt with hanyou births where the mother was human. Kagome had trouble at first getting an appointment, but one call from Kichou and Kagome was in the following week. She asked her mother to go with her for her first appointment. She was nervous and did not want to go alone. The miko didn't really want InuYasha to go with her because she was not sure exactly what they would do and how her over-protective hanyou might react.
 
Everything went extremely well. The doctor, a doe youkai, was very happy with Kagome's physical condition. Apparently many of her human mothers were not in good shape and carrying a hanyou was very taxing. The doctor warned Kagome that she would feel tired and drained from the amount of energy the baby would require. Kagome blushed as the doctor told her that the further she got along, the more she would need to be with her mate for his youkai energy. The doctor wanted to make her point clear and Kagome's cheeks had turned bright red as the doctor further explained that she would need to couple with InuYasha more and more often as the pup grew. Kagome knew that InuYasha would be thrilled that in addition to the array of vitamins and the exercise regime she had been given, the doctor had actually prescribed sex.
 
Mama was blushing as well after that visit.
 
InuYasha decided there was no time like the present, and starting filling the prescription that evening.
 
 
Sesshomaru dropped in one day to borrow InuYasha for a while. He wanted to test a couple of his theories about InuYasha's abilities and took him to a building they were having a problem with. There was apparently a hole in the security, but no one had been able to tell exactly where it was and there had been some thefts.
 
Sesshomaru thought a pair of fresh eyes might help and brought InuYasha to the building. The Demon Lord described some of the problems to his brother but without too much detail. Sesshomaru did not want to prejudice InuYasha in any way as to what he might see. He did know that the hanyou now had a pretty good idea of how building security worked. Sesshomaru knew from his own men that InuYasha had been down to see all of the security features of his own building, including the cameras, back up tapes, guard rotation - anything that had to do with the protection of his mate as well as the other inhabitants of the building. InuYasha had asked for a couple of slightly unorthodox additions and changes that had made the building almost one hundred percent secure. Sesshomaru had been impressed when told what InuYasha had done.
 
After looking at the room that housed the monitors for all of the cameras as well as the security rotation schedule, InuYasha went through every floor of the building and parking garage with Sesshomaru and his most trusted supervisor behind him. After InuYasha had carefully looked at everything he wanted to see, he told his brother he was ready for the three of them to leave. When they reached the car, InuYasha climbed in and indicated he wanted the supervisor to come with them.
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow, but did not question his brother. InuYasha asked to be taken back to his own apartment and then invited Sesshomaru and the supervisor up. He did call Kagome on the cell phone to warn her they were coming.
 
Kagome greeted them at the door and asked if they wanted anything. She knew that both Sesshomaru and InuYasha were somewhat addicted to coffee (like those two really needed the caffeine) and had already started a fresh pot. Both could smell the fresh coffee brewing and told her they would like a cup when it was ready.
 
InuYasha led Sesshomaru and Hari over to their worktable and gestured for them to sit. Without saying a word, InuYasha took a tablet of paper and starting drawing a rough layout of each of the floors marking where the security cameras were.
 
Sesshomaru and Hari watched in fascination and did not speak, not wanting to interrupt InuYasha's train of thought.
 
InuYasha looked up long enough to thank Kagome when she brought his coffee and went back to work.
 
When he was finally finished, InuYasha pushed the first drawing out in front of him. “This is the first floor and shows the guard station as well as all of the camera positions.”
 
He then started adding pages. “This is the second floor, third floor, fourth floor…” InuYasha continued through every single floor. He then went on to say, “You have a problem because the cameras are in the exact same position on every floor, with the same blind spots on every floor.”
 
InuYasha then started circling areas on each layout. “These are the blind spots. I'm guessing that these are some of the offices that have had problems with thefts. With only one or two guards walking the floors at night and on weekends, their schedule is too predictable. I also think there is inside help because not all of the cameras are readily visible. Someone would have to help the thieves to know where the blind spots are and then help them avoid the guards. I'm willing to bet that one of the shift supervisors is in on it if they are the only ones that know the complete schedule.”
 
Sesshomaru and Hari looked at each other. They had started to suspect the same thing, but did not interrupt as InuYasha continued.
 
InuYasha pulled the drawing of the third floor. “There is an unused space here that is about the same size as the security room on the first floor.”
 
InuYasha picked up a different color pencil and started marking X's on the sheets. “I would install additional cameras here, and put the feeds to this space on the third floor. They are not in the same place on every floor, but should effectively cover any blind spots. Make some excuse to have the building totally shut down one weekend so that no one can enter and do it then. Make sure to conceal the cameras well and do not tell the majority of the staff about them. Have a select few that you trust, or bring in someone from the outside to watch these monitors. The cameras will cover all of the blind spots and you should be able to catch your thieves.”
 
Before his brother or the supervisor had a chance to say anything InuYasha added, “Once you catch who you are after, the location of the extra cameras will probably become known. I would change the guards to an odd number at uneven intervals so that they don't always end up in the same spots at the same time. A more unpredictable schedule will make the building more secure.”
 
Finally finished, InuYasha pushed back from the table to pick up his coffee and begin to sip on it.
 
Sesshomaru looked at Hari and said, “He has confirmed some of what we thought and thought of some things we did not. What do you think?”
 
“We can shut the building down one weekend and say its being fumigated or something. Since we don't know who might be involved, we should bring over a handful of our trusted men from one of the other buildings to monitor once the cameras are installed.”
 
InuYasha interjected, “I would also use a different crew to place the cameras - it could be someone in that type of position who leaked where the cameras all were.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “He is right. Someone like that would have complete access to the placement of all of the security cameras.”
 
Sesshomaru finished his cup of coffee. “Thank you InuYasha. If you will excuse us, Hari and I have a lot of work to do.”
 
InuYasha rose and walked Sesshomaru and Hari to the door.
 
Kagome came to say goodbye to her brother-in-law and kissed him on the cheek. “Don't be a stranger, you and Kichou should come and visit us.”
 
Sesshomaru acknowledged with a nod of his head as they went on their way.
 
 
They were on their way in the car when Hari finally spoke up, “My Lord, how does your brother know so much about our security? Where did he receive his training?”
 
“Real life. My brother comes from an era where hanyou were hated and despised. Most of the youkai and humans InuYasha came across tried to kill him. He developed an uncanny perception of everything that is around him. The miko is the first who ever accepted him as he was,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
“Forgive me, My Lord, but may I ask another question?”
 
Sesshomaru suspected what he was going to ask. Hari was a full youkai, after all. “Go ahead.”
 
“Your brother is a hanyou but he is powerful, and yet the girl also bears your mark,” Hari tentatively asked.
 
Sesshomaru sighed, but decided to answer. Hari had been with him for several hundred years now. “The girl is a powerful miko and another youkai attacked and raped her before my brother had taken her as his mate. He declared that it would not have mattered if the girl had been marked by my brother, because he did not honor the mark of a half-breed. Even though I could have insisted on it because I am the eldest, I volunteered to mark her. While another youkai might say they could ignore InuYasha's mark, they certainly could not ignore mine. They discussed it and decided to do it. InuYasha is her true mate; Kagome is simply marked as a female under my protection.”
 
“How powerful can she be?” Hari innocently asked.
 
Sesshomaru raised his left arm and flexed his hand. “This powerful.”
 
Hari sat back against the car seat. He did not know what to say. While he had realized that Sesshomaru's arm was real, he had no idea why it decided to grow back after all those centuries. The girl must be powerful indeed. He could see why the two brothers would want someone like her to have all of the protection she could get.
 
 
It was time for Kagome to go in for an ultrasound. This time she wanted both her mother and InuYasha to go with her. InuYasha didn't understand at first, but when they told him they would be able to see the pup for the first time and that he would be able to hear the heartbeat as well, he was more than willing to go along.
 
Kagome did not know why she was so nervous about this. After all, she knew she was pregnant, and it was still too early to determine the sex. The doctor hadn't exactly informed her why she wanted to do one now. Kagome had InuYasha's hand clamped between hers. She was squeezing so tight that InuYasha would have sworn she was part youkai. Then again, he had been giving her so much of his youkai energy, she just might be.
 
InuYasha watched in fascination as they rubbed the jelly on Kagome's belly. The doctor made sure to explain everything as she went along because the last thing she needed was an over-protective Inu-hanyou mate going berserk on her. The doctor was also kind enough to warm up the probe for the ultrasound before placing it on Kagome's bare stomach. Most doctors just slapped it down so that it felt like they placed an ice-cube on the waiting belly.
 
The doctor smiled when she seemed to find what she was looking for.
 
“Look, Kagome. Do you see this area and this one?” the doctor asked as she pointed to the monitor.
 
Kagome's eyes opened wide. “Does that mean what I think it does?”
 
Mama looked equally surprised as she stared at the screen. “But doctor, are you sure? We don't have any family history of them.”
 
“It looks like you are going to have twins, Kagome. Congratulations,” the doctor said.
 
The three ladies looked at InuYasha, who was looking at the monitor wide-eyed with wonder. “Those are our pups?”
 
“Yes,” Kagome replied, “But why don't you seem surprised? Did you know?”
 
InuYasha stammered, “I…I suspected, but I…I wasn't sure. It felt like your body had released at least two eggs to be fertilized.”
 
Now it was Mama's turn to stare in wonder. “InuYasha, you could pick up on something like that?”
 
InuYasha was blushing and trying to figure out the best way to say what he wanted to. He finally said, “We can be really tuned into each other, and that was what I felt.”
 
“Kagome, what were you thinking at the time? Do you remember?” InuYasha asked.
 
“I didn't know if you wanted a boy or a girl, and I thought it would be nice to have one of each,” Kagome replied.
 
InuYasha kissed her on the forehead and said, “It wouldn't surprise me in the least if you did.”
 
The doctor finally spoke up again, “It will be a few more weeks before we can try to determine the sex. We should set up another appointment for you to come in then. I am also going to increase your number of office visits. With hanyou twins, we can't be too careful.”
 
Kagome, Mama and InuYasha all nodded in agreement.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Sesshomaru came by to borrow InuYasha again one afternoon. He had several high security events going on, but wanted InuYasha to scope out one in particular. There were a number of high-ranking dignitaries and businessmen that had been invited to a reception. The grounds consisted of beautiful gardens with several different buildings - some open, some not.
 
InuYasha discovered his forte that afternoon. While he had been superior in his assessment of the internal building security, he was outstanding when it came to the outdoors. InuYasha looked at the plans for security placement and immediately noticed a glaring oversight. There was a building across the street where the roof had clear access to almost the whole of the grounds. Sesshomaru was furious; he could not believe that such an oversight had been made. InuYasha also pointed out several other problems as he walked through the grounds with Sesshomaru and the supervisor for the event. At one point, InuYasha asked the supervisor if he could please go and fetch the written plans for him again.
 
Once he was gone, InuYasha turned to his brother. “Do you smell what I smell?”
 
“You mean fear, anxiety, and sheer terror?”
 
“Keh. Something's up, but I cannot tell if he's part of it voluntarily or by force,” InuYasha replied.
 
Sesshomaru stopped. His first thought was that they were being betrayed, but InuYasha was right. The smell of his fear was different than that of a man only worried about being caught.
 
InuYasha waved them to some tables that were under permanent cover as the man ran back to them. “We won't be so easily seen over there.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded and followed him as the man ran up. Sesshomaru gestured for him to sit down.
 
“You usually do good work. Why has this most important job been so sloppy?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
The man was visibly sweating now. “Wha…What do you mean?”
 
“He means there are holes you could drive a train through. You better start talking. NOW,” InuYasha said. “If you haven't heard, my brother is not very forgiving.”
 
The man broke down and started sobbing. “They…they have my wife and daughter. They said that I would never even be able to find their bodies if I did not help them.”
 
Sesshomaru and InuYasha visibly flared at his statement. To them there was nothing more underhanded than using a man's family against him. The man was also human, so he didn't really understand how Sesshomaru would be able to help him.
 
They got as much information as they could from him and Sesshomaru sent a team of Inu-youkai to track down the man's wife and daughter. They let themselves into his apartment to catch their scent and started from there.
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru saw the biggest security problem as the roof and building that overlooked the grounds. Sesshomaru sent a team over and they happened to catch the would-be assassin that was setting up. He was in the stairwell and waiting to go up on the roof as the sun started to drop. The team could tell he had been there previously as he had his spot marked out on the roof.
 
InuYasha also told the team in the building to sweep the upper floors that had windows that overlooked the gardens. While there were no more assassins, they did find a photographer with a long-range lens set up and taking pictures. He was forcibly escorted from the building after his film and discs were destroyed.
 
Sesshomaru called in more men for security, and InuYasha looked at the map and told them all where to take their places. He had everyone ready when they were walking back through the grounds and he heard a clicking noise.
 
InuYasha followed his ears to the man a few feet away from him. While the press was not allowed, somehow one had managed to gatecrash and had a concealed camera. InuYasha decided since photographers were like rats (where there was one, there were probably a dozen more) he got on the radio and softly warned the security men. Most were youkai or hanyou of one form or another and had superior hearing. It wasn't long before another half-dozen photographers were being escorted off of the grounds. The person responsible for allowing them through the gate was fired on the spot. The members of the press that showed up later expecting to be let in were sorely disappointed.
 
The supervisor's wife and daughter were found. Though hungry, dehydrated and filthy, they were basically unharmed. It was a good thing the supervisor had confessed. It looked like his family had been abandoned with no way to get free and would not have been found for weeks, if ever. They would certainly have starved to death if nothing else. Sesshomaru's team called an ambulance to take them to the hospital, and Sesshomaru sent his supervisor there to meet them after a stern warning that if anything ever happened like this again, he was to call Sesshomaru immediately. The supervisor bowed and thanked him through his tears and rushed to reunite with his wife and daughter.
 
The men that had kidnapped the supervisor's family and threatened him were human. They were laughing at their success and easy money in helping to assassinate their target when Sesshomaru's team burst in on them. They were gagged, blindfolded and tied up before being transported for the Demon Lord to deal with them. Before they met their end, he wanted to know who their target was and who hired them. They were brought and thrown in with the would-be assassin to wait for their fate.
 
When Sesshomaru was satisfied that everything was well under way, he left InuYasha to keep an eye on things while he went to deal with those his team had brought in. The assassin was going on and bragging about they would never be able to break him. He abruptly stopped when Sesshomaru removed his concealment charm and placed his claws around the man's neck and released just enough poison to start to melt away his skin. The other's blindfolds had been removed so that they could watch and understand that this was their fate.
 
Before the evening was over, Sesshomaru knew who had hired the group and who the intended victim was. They had selected the reception for the assassination because they figured it would cause a great amount of confusion. They would make certain the intended victim was killed, but then shoot a few others as well just to confuse things. With the number of high-ranking dignitaries and businessmen there, it would have taken the local authorities forever to figure the mess out, if they ever did at all. Sesshomaru put the hired assassin out of his misery before he returned to the reception, leaving the others to the team that had tracked them down. None of them would ever be seen or heard from again. They had everything recorded if ever needed.
 
Sesshomaru returned to the reception to collect InuYasha. Before they left, Sesshomaru found the head of the target's security and informed him of everything that had been planned and who was behind it. Sesshomaru's counterpart was a tiger youkai that was fiercely loyal to the protection of his human employer. The Demon Lord left it in his capable hands to take care of the problem.
 
 
In the car on the way back to the apartment to drop InuYasha off, Sesshomaru finally said, “You have not said anything about Kagome's visit to the doctor. Did she have the sonogram?”
 
InuYasha nodded. “Yeah, it was amazing. You could see them both there on the screen.”
 
“So you were right, your mate is having twins,” Sesshomaru said, and then asked, “Did the doctor tell you anything else?”
 
“Just that she wants Kagome to come for more visits because there are two,” InuYasha answered.
 
“Has she mentioned anything regarding what I told you about Kagome needing more of your youkai energy?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
InuYasha blushed. “She mentioned that on Kagome's first visit when she went with her mother. The doctor told Kagome the further she got along the more she needed to be with me. To make it perfectly clear, the doctor told Kagome she would need to couple with me more and more as the pups grew.”
 
“She told her that in front of her mother?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“Yeah. Her poor mother has gotten a lot more than she bargained for when her daughter accepted me as her mate. First you, now this. I told Kagome I didn't mind, though,” InuYasha replied slyly, but with pink still creeping across his cheeks.
 
 
March was almost over when Kagome decided they should go back and check on Kaede and the village and see if Sango and Miroku had returned. The miko was starting to suspect that Miroku and Sango might have started a physical relationship before they were actually married. Now that she was pregnant herself, and with twins at that, she was thinking that Sango looked little large to be three months pregnant when they saw her, unless she was having quadruplets. Kagome finally asked InuYasha what he thought, and he confirmed her suspicions.
 
It had just added to his aggravation back then that he could smell sweat and sex on the two of them, but thought he could never have Kagome that way. In any case, Sango was definitely pregnant when she was married. When Kagome asked why he had never told her, he replied simply that she had never asked. While he would not lie, at the time it would only have upset him to talk about it. InuYasha had, however, told the monk so that he wouldn't put off marrying Sango. InuYasha also threatened Miroku within an inch of his life if he ever looked at another girl again.
 
 
InuYasha was clad in his familiar firerat with Tessaiga by his side. Kagome was dressed in sweats and once again had her oversized backpack as they prepared to go through the well. She was well ahead in her studies and did not have another assignment or test for nearly a month. The timing had worked out well because in addition to the school's spring break, their tutors were going the following week to a conference and would be gone for a week and a half. Another break had been that the new moon had been two nights before, so InuYasha didn't have to worry about that again for a while, either.
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome stopped in to say hello to her mother and grandfather before they went back in time. They told Mama they would probably be gone for about three to four weeks if they went to see Sesshomaru while they were there.
 
After they entered the well house, InuYasha slung the backpack over his shoulder and picked Kagome up in his arms before he leaped into the well and went through the time slip.
 
After he had jumped out on the other side, InuYasha carefully set Kagome down. Hand in hand, they walked down the path that led towards the village, headed for Kaede's hut.
 
“InuYasha, Kagome, you are back!” Kaede welcomed them.
 
“Hi, Kaede. We came to see if Sango and Miroku have returned to the village yet,” Kagome replied.
 
“Aye, they are here. Sango has had a strapping boy. They are waiting a few more weeks before they return to the slayer village. They also wanted to wait and see you before they left,” Kaede responded.
 
“Where are they?” Kagome asked. She was trying to ignore InuYasha's muttering that he hoped the baby wasn't another pervert.
 
“They are in my hut. Come along, they have really wanted to see you,” Kaede said.
 
InuYasha and Kagome followed Kaede to her hut. Inside they found Sango and Miroku. Sango looked exhausted and was asleep. Miroku was watching over her and the baby.
 
While Miroku looked up when they came in, but he stayed where he was. “InuYasha, Kagome, you've finally come.”
 
“Oi, Monk. We said that we would. Kagome thought we had a little more time before the pup was due,” InuYasha replied with a smirk.
 
Kagome went and sat by Sango, brushing the hair away from her face. “How did she do? Did she have any trouble?”
 
Miroku had a broad grin across his face. “My Sango is strong. She had the baby with no trouble.”
 
“Speak for yourself, Monk.” Sango had started to stir.
 
“I was in labor for most of the night and into the next day. I didn't think he wanted to come out,” Sango said.
 
“Probably didn't if the monk was nearby. He might get that cursed hand,” InuYasha remarked.
 
“InuYasha!” Kagome said, but knew what he was referring to. Lechers seemed to run in the family.
 
“It's okay - Sango said the same thing while she was in labor, along with bunch of other stuff,” Miroku said.
 
“What did you name him?” Kagome asked.
 
“Shinkei,” Sango replied.
 
“Kami's Grace,” Kagome whispered.
 
“We think he is, we survived Naraku, got married, and made a beautiful son,” Miroku said.
 
“Though not necessarily in that order.” InuYasha smirked.
 
“InuYasha! Don't make me regret…” Kagome threatened.
 
“Sorry,” InuYasha said with his ears plastered against his head.
 
Sango and Miroku's eyes opened wide. “So that's what's missing!” they exclaimed together.
 
Kagome sighed. “He has not really needed it in a long time. InuYasha hasn't worn the rosary since the wedding. Once he had the wedding band to show that he is mine, he did not insist on wearing it again.”
 
InuYasha had not told her that he had also taken into consideration what Sesshomaru told him about pregnant women. InuYasha really did not want to wear the prayer beads around a potentially upset, emotional, hormonal Kagome. If she might become anything like she did on that shot, InuYasha wasn't taking any chances. He just played with the ring on his finger and nodded in agreement.
 
Kagome spent the next couple of days catching up with Sango while InuYasha ran through his forest. He took care of any youkai hanging around that didn't belong there and brought back fresh meat for Sango to make certain she was properly nourished.
 
InuYasha could tell that nursing the baby was already taking its toll on Sango. He dragged Miroku aside and told him he was going to beat the fucking shit out of him if he didn't start taking better care of his mate. She was feeding the baby and needed to eat and drink a lot more than normal. If Miroku did not make sure she ate properly, Sango would start losing weight and get sick. Miroku actually thanked him. He didn't know why it did not occur to him that Sango would need even more now than she did when she was pregnant. It only made sense that if she were breast-feeding the baby, then Sango was still `eating for two.'
 
 
It was only the second night they were there when Kagome suddenly almost fainted. InuYasha caught her and lowered her gently to his lap. He was oblivious to the stares of the others as he whispered in her ear and rubbed her abdomen. As the others looked on, both of their auras became visible as Kagome begin to draw energy from InuYasha. They had not been physically together since before they came through the well. This was the first time they had not made love at least once a day since Kagome became pregnant. When Kagome was feeling better, their auras receded and Kagome opened her eyes to the stares of the others. InuYasha still had her protectively in his arms, his hand on her belly.
 
Miroku spoke up first, “What was that all about?”
 
Sango's eyes opened wide. “Kagome are you…”
 
“Pregnant, and she must need youkai energy for her child,” Kaede finished for her.
 
“Pups,” InuYasha corrected.
 
“Pups, as in plural?” Sango asked.
 
Kagome finally spoke, “Twins, but I really don't want to spread the news, if you don't mind. It is still dangerous here for us.”
 
InuYasha had emphasized what she was saying with a low growl. The others nodded in understanding.
 
“Congratulations!” Sango exclaimed. They would have hugged her, but InuYasha was still growling.
 
“It's okay, InuYasha. I'm just tired. Maybe we should get some fresh air,” Kagome said softly.
 
InuYasha understood her meaning and picked her up. “We'll be back. Do not follow us, especially you, you pervert monk.”
 
For once Kagome did not admonish him. It would be just like the Monk to follow and watch them.
 
InuYasha carried Kagome to the far side of the Sacred Tree to a more secluded area. He took off his haori and set Kagome down on it, and then took a brief run around the area to make sure they had no unwanted visitors. Satisfied they were alone, he came back and dropped his hakama. Kagome had already removed her sweats and panties and was waiting for him. She lay on her back as he gently licked between her folds until she was hot and wet. InuYasha dove in with his tongue and applied pressure with his thumb until Kagome was writhing off of the ground in pleasure. InuYasha continued to lap at her until she was extremely wet again. He helped her roll over onto her stomach and pulled her up on her knees. InuYasha's eyes glazed over red and his markings appeared on his cheeks as he mounted Kagome from behind. InuYasha had learned to keep control of his youkai, at least when coupling with his mate.
 
Not wanting to keep Kagome exposed out in the open for long, InuYasha quickly found his rhythm so that he could release his seed riddled with youki energy into her. Still buried deep within her core, he pulled Kagome off of her trembling arms and over to her side. He reached up under the sweatshirt she still wore to stroke her breast as they lay coupled together.
 
InuYasha started a warning growl as he felt someone approach them. Still buried within Kagome and pumping into her, he wasn't ready to relinquish his place yet. Wrapping both of his arms around Kagome, he helped her to sit up with him. He knew who the presence was. And while an annoyance at the moment, he was not a threat.
 
“Little Brother, can you not go a single day without coupling with your mate?” Lord Sesshomaru asked.
 
Sesshomaru started to back up when he realized that InuYasha's eyes were still bleeding red and caught the smell of his youkai blood.
 
“Sesshomaru. I have control,” InuYasha replied to his brother. He could actually smell a hint of fear.
 
InuYasha closed his eyes and breathed in Kagome's calming scent. When he opened his eyes again, they were gold.
 
“What are you doing here?” InuYasha asked.
 
“I came to see if you had returned yet. Kichou will be due to have her pups soon,” the Demon Lord replied.
 
Kagome finally spoke, “How long does she carry them for? It must not be for as long as humans do.”
 
Sesshomaru responded, “Around seven months, though some have gone almost eight. She is due any time.”
 
“InuYasha, you still have not answered my question. Why are you out here like this?”
 
“Take a good whiff of Kagome,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
Sesshomaru's eyes opened a bit wider in surprise. “She is pregnant.”
 
Kagome nodded. “And my doctor told me this was the best way to get an immediate infusion of youkai energy. We hadn't been together this way in nearly three days, and I nearly fainted.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded in understanding. “A Hanyou pup would drain your energy. InuYasha, how did you gain such control over your youkai?”
 
“When Kagome was fertile. I was able to use it to help control my seed. I've also had a lot more control over my youkai in general since I took Kagome as my mate. Since I have been calmer and not losing my temper so much, I've been able to keep it under control when I am with her. I don't know what might happen if either of us were threatened, though. It's still not something I want to mess around with. I only use it for this because it gives Kagome more youki energy to draw on.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded, but wasn't about to mention that he was amazed as well. He had seen InuYasha in bloodlust when his youkai took over his body. It was nothing short of a miracle he was able to keep his mind and control like this, Tessaiga withstanding or not.
 
“You need to clean yourselves up. I will wait by the well,” Sesshomaru said.
 
InuYasha nodded. As his brother walked away, he withdrew and laid Kagome on her back. He gently lapped at her with his tongue until he had cleaned her thighs and folds. Kagome reciprocated and drew him into her mouth as she licked him clean. He pulled up his hakama and then helped Kagome to step into her panties and sweats. When her shoes were back on, they walked towards the well.
 
“Kagome, are you better?” InuYasha asked seriously.
 
Kagome stopped and pulled him to her in a kiss. When she let go she said, “Yes, thank you.”
 
 
They met Sesshomaru by the well and talked quietly as they walked back towards Kaede's hut. Kagome and InuYasha agreed that they would be ready to travel to the Western Lands with Lord Sesshomaru when a red blur flew at Kagome.
 
InuYasha was snarling as he knocked the kit out of the air. Shippou either had no idea or did not care that he had launched himself with such force that he was going to knock Kagome clean off of her feet. InuYasha was not about to let that to happen.
 
“Kagome! He's being mean!” Shippou cried.
 
InuYasha snatched Shippou up by the tail and snarled at him, “Do you have any idea how badly you could have hurt Kagome doing that! Do you have any idea how much bigger you are than you were the last time you saw her! You are too big to be jumping on Kagome like that!”
 
Shippou was crying, putting on quite a display the entire time, expecting Kagome to sit InuYasha. Shippou wailed, but to no avail.
 
Shippou had finally slowed down to sniffles when Kagome looked at him solemnly and said, “Shippou, InuYasha is right. You would have knocked me down if he had not stopped you. You cannot do that any more. Do you understand? InuYasha is my mate and my husband and I will no longer interfere with him protecting me from any harm, is that clear? I let you get away with far too much. I thought you would have learned better manners living with Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
InuYasha still had the kitsune by the tail. “Oi, runt, got the message? You have got to be more careful.”
 
Rin stood by shaking her head. She had tried to warn him, but Shippou said that Kagome would not have changed. Shippou forgot about InuYasha, who never liked him jumping on her like that to begin with.
 
Sesshomaru finally looked at Shippou. “Now do you understand why you still are not allowed in my quarters? You were told your manners must improve greatly before that ever happens. You are smart, Shippou. I am disappointed that you have not yet learned better.”
 
Kagome got down on her knees and held out her hands. “Give me a hug, but don't ever jump at me like that again. You would have hurt me.”
 
Shippou ran to Kagome and hugged her. Kagome just about squeezed the life out of him. “I'm happy to see you Shippou. You've grown like a weed. Have you been learning from the kitsune at the castle?”
 
Now given a happier subject, Shippou started chattering about everything he had been doing.
 
InuYasha looked at his brother. “You must have been pretty certain we would be here if you brought them.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “I knew the demon slayer was due just as you did, and Shippou wanted to see them plus the old miko. He and Rin are practically inseparable, so I brought them both along with Ah-Uhn.”
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru fell back and walked behind the others towards Kaede's hut, listening to the chatter and keeping a wary eye around them.
 
They were almost back when InuYasha heard Shippou say, “I still can't believe you didn't sit InuYasha for being so mean to me!”
 
InuYasha growled and leaped forward to snatch Shippou up again as he snarled, “I thought we were through with that runt, but just so you get the picture, you better take a good look.”
 
InuYasha held Shippou so that he had a clear view of his chest. “What do you see, runt?”
 
Shippou's eyes opened wide. “The rosary! Where's the rosary?”
 
“I'll tell you one time. I have not worn the rosary since we were married. Kagome is my mate and my wife and she trusts me to protect her from everything, including stupid kits that were used to getting their way so they never got disciplined. Understand?” InuYasha growled.
 
Shippou nodded, but InuYasha shook him. “I want to hear you.”
 
“I understand, InuYasha,” Shippou said, barely above a whisper.
 
InuYasha dropped him to the ground as they went into Kaede's hut.
 
Miroku and Sango just looked at each other. They had heard most of the last conversation and knew it was bound to happen. Even they had tried to warn Shippou about jumping on Kagome. He had just blown them off like he had Rin.
 
Kaede's hut was a bit crowded that night, but everyone managed to find a space except for Sesshomaru, who preferred being outdoors. InuYasha went to sleep in his old position sitting against the wall with Tessaiga across his chest. Kagome was right in front of him with her head in his lap. InuYasha made it clear in no uncertain terms that Shippou was not sleeping with his mate.
 
Shippou ended curling up with Rin on Kirara, who had transformed into her large form so she could be a big, furry pillow. Everyone settled, they finally went to sleep. However, no one got a restful sleep with an infant that needed to be fed every four hours or so.
 
 
They did not need an alarm clock with the wail of the baby that woke them all again at dawn. Kagome didn't complain - she knew she was in for worse with twins.
 
Sesshomaru appeared with Ah-Uhn. InuYasha strapped Kagome's backpack and the other supplies Sesshomaru had brought to his broad back. InuYasha set Rin up on the dragon with Shippou in front of her. He placed Kagome far enough back that she could hold her bow and quiver in front of her. InuYasha jumped up behind her and pulled her to his chest, his arms protectively around her. While they weren't expecting trouble, you just never knew in this era.
 
Shippou, Rin and Kagome waved good-bye to Miroku, Sango and Kaede as Ah-Uhn took flight to follow his master.
 
Once again, they were headed west.
 
To be continued…