InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Lord Sesshomaru’s Heirs Arrive ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. They help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 27: Lord Sesshomaru's Heirs Arrive (Warning: Chapter contains Lemon/Lime)
 
 
Back in the future, Sesshomaru and Hari were busy setting their trap. As planned the building had been closed to all, including security, for one weekend while the new security cameras were installed and the new monitoring room set up. Hari had instructed the security personnel that would be monitoring the new cameras to wear business attire when they came in during the day and more casual attire, like those that came in to work on nights or weekends usually wore, when they came in after hours.
 
To cover their entrance and exits at all times of the day and night, the building had been notified that a new web-hosting company had taken the unused space on the third floor. They would have someone there at all times to monitor their servers and maintain the sites they hosted. Sesshomaru had even gone so far as to give the `company' a name and sign a lease with them for the space in the building. The guards were told they would not have entrance to this one particular office due to the expense and delicacy of the servers. Since the business would have someone there all of the time anyway, it was not really needed. No one thought anything about it.
 
To bait his trap, Sesshomaru had convinced the jeweler, Antonio, to open a storefront in one of the blind spots. The office space was given all of the security that a jeweler usually would have, including a reinforced glass front with a door that would allow him to buzz in prospective clients or keep out anyone that he did not want to let in. He also had a `hot button' straight to the security station. Unbeknownst to the potential thieves, that button along with inside cameras connected to the new guard station as well.
 
The thieves struck the third week Antonio was in business. The weekend guard simply let them into the store with his master key and went on his way. The whole lot was stunned to find the people they had come to know as computer geeks were waiting for them as they tried to carry out any jewelry that was not in the vault. Even more to their surprise, the entire thing was caught on tape by the new camera across from Antonio's store as well as the ones that were in it. It didn't take much for them to rat out the particular supervisor that was the head of their gang. He and the guard were taken to jail with the rest of the crew.
 
Sesshomaru had promised to let Antonio out of his building contract the minute he wanted, but ended up keeping a permanent client instead. Antonio's little storefront in the high-traffic building was doing so well he decided to leave it there and let his oldest daughter manage it. She had a knack for the business, and she had started designing her own jewelry. Antonio decided it was time to let her spread her wings and fly.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
In the past, things were relatively quiet as they flew towards the Western Lands. Shippou was still sulking about the turn of events. It had never even occurred to the kitsune that Kagome would refuse to `sit' InuYasha, much less remove the rosary from his neck. Of course it had also never occurred to Shippou that he had grown so much over the last few months that he might actually hurt Kagome when he charged like that. Perhaps it was time for him to start making more of an effort to grow up. Shippou could tell that Rin had been disappointed in his behavior and that had stung as much as anything.
 
 
InuYasha had Kagome safely in his arms as they crossed the skies. As always, he was alert to everything that was going on around him, as was his brother. Fortunately the morning passed without incident and they descended to the same clearing by the stream they had been to before for a break around lunchtime.
 
They were not in a rush this time. Sesshomaru knew how far they needed to make it before nightfall since he was headed to the same cave under the falls for the evening. As a result, the Demon Lord let them build a fire and boil water. Of course Kagome had plenty of Ramen with her and fixed enough for everyone. After calling Rin and Shippou over from their play, Kagome passed a cup to each of the group and they started to eagerly eat. The cups were tossed into the fire to be destroyed when empty.
 
Kagome was sitting and talking quietly with InuYasha and Sesshomaru as they watched Shippou and Rin run and play. They were lingering just a little longer as they allowed the two to burn up the energy they had pent up as they rode the dragon's back. InuYasha noticed Rin whispering something to the kitsune and wondered what was up when Shippou walked over to them with his head bowed.
 
Shippou was kicking the ground and shuffling his feet as he stood in front of InuYasha. Finally he said, “I'm sorry, InuYasha. I'm sorry for the way I acted. I didn't think that I might hurt Kagome.”
 
Kagome and Sesshomaru remained quiet, interested to see what would happen.
 
InuYasha looked seriously at Shippou. “Didn't we have a discussion before? Something about thinking before you speak? Don't you think it should apply to your actions as well? I know you are capable of it. Don't you think I know of all of those times you did something deliberately just to make Kagome sit me?”
 
That got Kagome's attention - it had not occurred to her that Shippou would do something like that on purpose. She just assumed he was as impulsive as her hanyou could be.
 
“Is…is that true, Shippou?” Kagome asked quietly.
 
Shippou just looked like a deer caught in the headlights.
 
“You mean even though InuYasha made sure you were fed and kept safe, you would do that to him?” Kagome reiterated.
 
Shippou finally nodded. “I thought it was funny. It didn't seem to hurt him.”
 
“Oi, would you like me to slam you into the ground a few times to see how it feels?” InuYasha asked with a snarl.
 
Shippou shook his head. “I'm…I'm sorry.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “I can't believe you would do something like that on purpose. Shippou, I am very disappointed in you.”
 
Kagome turned to InuYasha. “I'm so sorry, InuYasha. I should have known you would never really hurt him.”
 
“Keh. What's done is done. At least now you trust me and know the truth,” InuYasha said, and then added, “All I ever wanted to do was discipline him so he would not get out of hand. Now he just has to work that much harder to break all of those bad habits he developed.”
 
“Shippou, I will forgive you if you start acting like you meant it,” InuYasha concluded.
 
Kagome looked at Shippou and nodded in agreement.
 
Shippou said softly, “I understand.” His head drooped and shoulders sagged as he turned to rejoin Rin.
 
Kagome sagged a bit and InuYasha pulled her to him as he said, “Sesshomaru, will you watch over us for a few minutes? Kagome needs energy.”
 
At first Sesshomaru thought InuYasha was going to take his mate into the woods but then realized that as InuYasha held Kagome, their auras were becoming visible and merging. InuYasha had both of his arms wrapped around her as Kagome pulled what she needed from him. When she felt better, their auras receded into their bodies.
 
InuYasha looked at his brother, seeing the question on his face. “This works if she does not need too much. We have to do the other if she needs a lot or needs it immediately.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded in understanding. “Is this something I could help with if needed? I could almost feel her pulling at me as well.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Since you are brothers and your aura is similar to InuYasha's, you could help me if necessary.”
 
“That is good to know,” Sesshomaru stated, and then asked, “Are you ready to continue?”
 
InuYasha replied by getting to his feet and helping Kagome up. “We should get a move on to get there and set camp up before dark.”
 
InuYasha set Rin up behind Shippou who had jumped up on the dragon on his own, and then set Kagome in her place before he joined her.
 
Once again, Ah-Uhn followed Sesshomaru into sky and headed west.
 
 
They reached the cave behind the falls well before dusk. InuYasha went hunting while Shippou and Rin helped Kagome gather firewood. When InuYasha returned with several rabbits, the fire was going well.
 
InuYasha had already run a spit through each of the four rabbits to be placed over the fire. Now all there was to do was to wait for the meat to cook. InuYasha took Kagome by the hand and led her from the cave. He nodded to his brother as they passed, and told him they would not be far away. He then picked Kagome up and carried her to the small clearing he knew was near.
 
InuYasha removed his haori and spread it on the ground. Kagome took off her sweats and panties after removing her shoes and lay on her back. She knew that InuYasha would not enter her before he was certain she had been pleasured as well. It didn't seem like any time at all before he had her bucking off of the ground. Kagome had the sleeve of his haori pulled to her mouth to try to keep from screaming his name. Once InuYasha was certain she had been satisfied, he dropped his hakama and sat down beside her, and then pulled her into his lap facing away.
 
Kagome did not need to see his face to know InuYasha had released his youkai to help. She could feel the claws that carefully grasped her grow against her skin. Kagome felt his grip tighten as he started to raise and lower her along his shaft. She had her hands on his thighs to try and help with her movements until she felt the rush of warmth within her. Kagome sighed and leaned back against his chest as the powerful arms encircled her and held her close while he continued to fill her depths. When he finally slid out of her, she felt herself being laid back down so that she could be cleaned by the gentle sweeping of his tongue. She in turn pulled him into her mouth to return the favor. Once finished they both dressed and returned, hand in hand, to the campsite.
 
When the rabbits were cooked, InuYasha passed a whole one to Kagome. He was not sure if she would eat an entire rabbit or not, but wanted to make sure she had her fill. He passed one over to Shippou and Rin to share and another to his brother. He then picked up the remaining rabbit and started to eat. One thing he had learned was that releasing his youkai made him ravenous. He was pretty certain he would be able to eat the entire thing.
 
Kagome had eaten over half of hers before she decided she had enough. She passed the remainder to InuYasha and he finished it off as well. Shippou just stared - he had never seen either of them eat so much in one sitting. Sesshomaru did not even raise an eyebrow. He understood why they both needed the additional meat. Sesshomaru would make certain they were both well taken care of when they reached his home.
 
 
Sesshomaru started to feel an urgency to get home early the next morning. He roused the others before dawn and they were on their way before the sun was even visible. They only stopped briefly a couple of times to eat and relieve themselves. InuYasha told Sesshomaru he could `recharge' Kagome, as he put it, on the way, as long as Sesshomaru would make sure they didn't fall from the dragon's back in the air. Sesshomaru agreed and would drop back alongside them when needed.
 
 
It was dark when they reached the castle and Sesshomaru ran in ahead of them without ceremony. Kaminari came to meet him and told Sesshomaru that Kichou had gone into labor that morning. The midwife, healer, and her mother were all with her. Even though they preferred keeping males out of the delivery room, Sesshomaru insisted on seeing his mate and letting her know they were home. Kagome went with him to see if there was anything she could do. While she didn't know anything about youkai births, she had helped Kaede in the village with deliveries when things were slow.
 
While InuYasha followed Kagome down the hall so that he could at least wait nearby, Shippou and Rin went to their quarters. They both knew the birthing area was no place for children.
 
 
It appeared that Kichou was waiting for her mate to return home. As soon as she knew he was there she screamed and started to push. If Sesshomaru had any thoughts of leaving they were quickly forgotten, even though he was turning a bit green. Kichou had a hold of him and was not about to let go as she delivered his heirs.
 
Kaiho had her daughter's other hand as the midwife and healer helped her through it. Kagome took a cloth to wipe her face and brow. One more scream and push, and Kichou had delivered a son as Sesshomaru's first heir.
 
Once the healer took care of the umbilical cord, the midwife cleaned him up. After he had been cleaned and wrapped, the midwife presented Sesshomaru with his first-born son. Kagome was wiping the sweat from Kichou's face as Sesshomaru stared in awe at his pup before he was handed to Kichou. The male was the spitting image of Sesshomaru, except that the healer did not think he was a poison youkai as his father was. Tears streamed from Kichou's eyes as she held her son to her, and then placed him to her breast so he could nurse until the next contractions started.
 
As expected, the nursing of the pup helped stimulate Kichou's body to start the next set of contractions. Kaiho took her grandson from her daughter and placed him in the large basket that had been prepared to accept the pups as delivered. Sesshomaru thought he might escape, but Kichou once again had him locked in her grip. As far as Kichou was concerned, Sesshomaru was there for the fun part so he could stay through this.
 
The next pup delivered was a girl. She had chocolate hair like her grandmother Kaiho, but with Sesshomaru's markings. She was cleaned up and presented to Sesshomaru to inspect before being handed to her mother. Kichou kissed her before placing her to her breast to nurse as she said, “Mama, she looks like you except for the markings.”
 
Kaiho looked at her granddaughter and smiled as she watched the pup nurse, “You have had two beautiful pups so far. Is there only one more?”
 
“We think so, but we are not sure. I guess we will know soon enough,” Kichou replied softly.
 
Kagome was amazed. She was worried about having two, and yet Kichou was having at least three, if not more. Kagome had sat in silence through all of it, wiping Kichou's face as it became bathed in sweat.
 
Kagome finally plucked up her courage and asked, “How…how will you feed all of them?”
 
Kaiho answered her, “We have a wet nurse ready. We were certain she would be having more than two, so we made sure one was available. It is not so unusual in youkai as it is in humans to have multiple births. Three or four is common for Inu-Youkai.”
 
Kagome didn't have a chance to say anything as the next contractions started. Kaiho took the girl from Kichou and placed her in the basket with her brother.
 
The third pup didn't seem to want to enter the world. Kichou was bathed in sweat as the contractions wracked her body. Kagome did not like the sound of the scream she gave this time as she finally pushed the last pup out. It had more pain than the other's had - it was very different, even to her human ears.
 
The midwife was busy cleaning the pup and the healer was checking everything when Kagome noticed that Kichou was getting pale and going limp, “Oh Kami, what's wrong?”
 
The healer quickly checked the third pup, “Oh no, she is a poison youkai. She must have scratched Kichou on the way out.”
 
Sesshomaru turned white.
 
“You mean she's been poisoned?” Kagome asked frantically.
 
“Probably, and there is not anything we can do,” the healer said.
 
Kagome pushed Sesshomaru aside as she moved alongside Kichou. She threw the covering off of Kichou's belly and placed her hands and started to concentrate. The others stood back and watched - it was Kichou's only chance of survival.
 
Just as Kagome would force the bullet from Sesshomaru's body in five hundred years, she forced the poison from Kichou's body. It was expelled along with the afterbirth and excess fluids and blood. When Kagome was certain that Kichou would survive, she passed out.
 
Sesshomaru caught her before she hit the floor. “Oh Kami, Kagome.”
 
Sesshomaru rushed out carrying her under his arm. InuYasha was on his way in when he felt Kagome's need. He could also feel his brother's turmoil. InuYasha would ask what happened later; right now he needed to take care of his mate.
 
InuYasha felt like a rapist, but it could not be helped. He ripped Kagome's bottoms off and dropped his hakama and took her right there in the corridor. He was far more youkai than human as he poured himself into her. InuYasha's eyes were red and his markings clearly visible as he held Kagome to him as he settled back against a wall, still coupled with her. Both of their auras became visible as Kagome started to pull even more energy from InuYasha. InuYasha managed to shrug off his haori and use it to cover them as they sat in the floor.
 
Sesshomaru barely recognized the deep voice that told him, “Go to your mate. Kagome will be okay.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded and ran back in to Kichou.
 
Kichou was starting to come to and the others just stared at Sesshomaru when he came back in. It was the only time any of them had ever seen the normally cool and calm Demon Lord visibly upset. Sesshomaru wiped the hair out of her face and then took Kichou's hand and as she groggily asked, “What happened?”
 
“The third pup was a poison youkai. It broke through its birth sack and scratched you on the way out,” The healer answered.
 
“Its poison must not be that strong if I am still here,” Kichou said faintly.
 
Sesshomaru choked back a sob, “I thought I was going to lose you.”
 
“What happened?” Kichou asked again.
 
Before anyone could answer, she started having contractions again.
 
The fourth pup came out easily, with none of the trauma of the third. As it was cleaned up, the third was presented to Sesshomaru and then Kichou. The healer had taken the precaution of wrapping the hands and feet to contain the poison claws until an antidote could be developed. None of them should have been surprised that she was the spitting image of Sesshomaru.
 
The fourth was cleaned and wrapped to be presented to Sesshomaru as Kichou let the third pup nurse. This one looked exactly like Kichou with black hair and the same facial markings. Sesshomaru handed her to his mate as Kaiho took the one that was feeding from Kichou's breast. Kichou smiled weakly as she placed the last pup to her breast.
 
When all four pups were finally sleeping together in their basket, waiting to be taken to the nursery, Kichou finally asked again, “Is anyone going to tell me what happened?”
 
Sesshomaru took a deep breath. “You were poisoned by the third pup. We were afraid we would lose you, but the miko saved you.”
 
“Kagome did? Where is she, what happened to her?” Kichou asked.
 
Kaiho answered, “She passed out, but where did you take her, Sesshomaru? You seemed almost as concerned for her as you did your own mate.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “She is pregnant. She used too much energy to heal Kichou, and I had to get her to InuYasha.”
 
The midwife was getting ready to go out to check on the nursery when Sesshomaru said, “I would not go out there just yet. InuYasha is probably still with the miko in the hall, and he is more youkai than human at the moment.”
 
Sesshomaru looked around to see that everyone was looking at him, waiting for him to explain, “Kagome needs youkai energy for her pup. When she needs a large amount in a hurry there is only one way for InuYasha to give it to her.”
 
The healer nodded in understanding. “So right now, he is coupled with her in the hall.”
 
“Yes,” Sesshomaru stated, then looked to Kichou and Kaiho. “Do not worry, Kaminari knows to stay away from him as long as he can see his markings. InuYasha will revert to normal when his mate has what she needs. I will go out and check on them. He does not seem to consider me a threat any longer.”
 
Sesshomaru went out into the corridor to find InuYasha and Kagome in the same position he left them in, except that InuYasha's markings had faded and he appeared to be normal again. It also looked like the pair was now asleep.
 
Sesshomaru looked over - he knew that Kaminari was a short distance away, and motioned to him. Kaminari stood by Sesshomaru's side as they studied the pair as they slept.
 
“What happened, My Lord? I saw you hand the girl to him and he took her right here in the hall. InuYasha had the same markings he did when he took down Tougai. I did not approach for fear of what he might do,” Kaminari said quietly.
 
“Kichou was poisoned by the third pup. The miko saved her, but used too much of her own energy. She is pregnant. I gave her to InuYasha because she needed his help. What you witnessed was the fastest way for him to give her the youkai energy she needed for the pup. We need to get them out of the hall and into their own quarters,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
Sesshomaru squatted down next to the couple and gently shook InuYasha's shoulder. InuYasha stirred so Sesshomaru shook a little harder.
 
InuYasha finally started to become coherent and realized he was asleep, holding Kagome in his lap, in the hall. “What happened?”
 
“Kagome saved Kichou, but you needed to replenish her energy. It looks like she drained you as well and you fell asleep in the corridor. Are you able to get up and help move her to your quarters?” Sesshomaru asked gently.
 
“Oi, now I remember,” InuYasha said as he started to shift Kagome off of his lap to get up. He blushed as he pulled his hakama back up. He wrapped his haori around Kagome to keep her covered since he had shredded her sweats and panties.
 
“Sorry about that,” InuYasha said as he blushed even deeper at the realization of what he had done and where he had done it.
 
“Do not apologize - there was no helping it. Your miko saved my mate - you did what you had to do,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“Kaminari, I know you want to see your daughter and the pups, but will you make sure that InuYasha is shown back to their quarters? They can use the same suite as last time,” Sesshomaru asked.
 
Kaminari nodded and motioned for InuYasha to follow him. InuYasha picked Kagome up, and they disappeared down the hall.
 
Sesshomaru went back in and told the others the coast was clear. The midwife and healer hurried to the nursery to make certain that everything was prepared for the four pups.
 
Sesshomaru kissed Kichou on the forehead. “They are all beautiful. Thank you, Kichou.”
 
Kichou squeezed his hand. “At least none of them will be lonely. Is Kagome going to be all right?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “She is asleep. Kaminari is taking them to their quarters and will be back. He wants to see you and the pups.”
 
Kichou nodded her understanding and then looked over at her mother, who was fussing over the pups before they were moved. Kaiho looked up and smiled as Kaminari entered the room.
 
Kaminari went first to his daughter and kissed her forehead. “I understand you gave us a scare.”
 
Kichou said, “That is what they tell me, but I do not remember. I woke up in time to have the fourth pup. At least it was easier than the third. I did not think she wanted to come out.”
 
“All that matters is that you and the pups are all right,” Kaminari said, then asked, “Are they getting ready to move them to the nursery?”
 
Before anyone could answer him, the healer and midwife came back into the room. They each picked up a pup to move to the other room.
 
“Wait, we will help you,” Kaiho said as she motioned to her mate.
 
Kaminari came over and he and Kaiho picked up the remaining infants and followed the healer and midwife out of the room.
 
Sesshomaru leaned over and kissed Kichou gently on her lips once they were alone in the room.
 
Kichou looked at him and said as she squeezed his hand, “I have never seen you afraid before.”
 
“I do not know what I would have done if I had lost you. It took me so long to find you, and then I thought you would be ripped away,” Sesshomaru said with a sob.
 
“It is okay, I am not going anywhere. Thank the Kami that Kagome was here. Did she really save me?” Kichou asked.
 
“You had gone pale and limp when the healer realized that the third was a poison youkai. Kagome just pushed me out of the way, placed her hands on your stomach and started to heal you. She must have forced the poison out of your system because she caused you to expel the afterbirth and some other fluids as she did it. She finally passed out,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
“But she is all right now?” Kichou asked.
 
“I hope so. InuYasha seemed to think she would be fine. They are probably asleep in their quarters already. InuYasha was drained as well,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“I hope she and her pup are all right. Do you think we will ever be able to repay her?” Kichou asked.
 
Sesshomaru kissed her hand and said, “We will find a way, even if it takes a lifetime. She does not even know that she saved not just you, but the last pup as well.”
 
 
Back in the same quarters that they had used before, InuYasha carefully undressed Kagome. Well, at least what was left of her clothes. InuYasha laid her on the bed while he removed his own as well and then picked Kagome up and carried her to the bath. Exhausted as she was, InuYasha knew how adamant Kagome was about being clean when she went to bed, at least when it was possible.
 
He set her in the warm bath and washed her all over. He made sure she was propped up so she would not slip into the water as he quickly washed himself. Satisfied that at least the dust from the road and the fluids from their coupling had been washed away, InuYasha got out and dried himself off and then pulled Kagome from the bath. Though not coherent, he was able to get her to stand long enough to dry her off. Dropping the towel to the floor, he picked his mate up and carried her to the bed.
 
The bed had already been turned down in anticipation of their arrival. InuYasha laid Kagome down, and then crawled in behind her. Pulling the covers up over them, he pulled his mate to his body. Once InuYasha had his arms protectively around Kagome and his nose nuzzled into her neck, InuYasha fell asleep alongside his mate.
 
 
Once Kichou had been settled into her own bed (due to the heavy bleeding that followed delivery, she would remain in the bed that was dressed for that purpose), Sesshomaru had returned to his quarters. He felt guilty leaving his mate, but Kaiho told him that it was the way of things and that he should get some rest. She and the healer would be staying with Kichou to make sure everything was as it should be.
 
Before Sesshomaru retired to his bedchambers, he went to check on his brother and the miko. As before, InuYasha had left the door unlocked that connected their suite to his quarters.
 
Sesshomaru was still amazed at what had happened. He stood in the doorway of the bedroom of the suite and watched InuYasha asleep with his mate. They were both glowing with their auras. Sesshomaru surmised that Kagome was still pulling from InuYasha's energy. The Demon Lord could feel only peace and contentment through his marks, so he determined that they must be all right - just exhausted. Sesshomaru could also tell that somehow InuYasha had managed to bathe both of them before climbing into bed. Thinking that sounded like a good idea, Sesshomaru left as silently as he came and headed for his own bath.
 
 
Morning came and Sesshomaru woke to a gentle tap on his shoulder. He looked and realized he had fallen asleep in his bath, and Rin was trying to wake him up.
 
“My Lord, My Lord, are you all right?” Rin asked softly.
 
“Yes, Rin. It was a long night is all. What are you doing in here?” Sesshomaru asked. He knew that Rin usually did not come into the bath after him.
 
“Rin was worried. Breakfast is ready but there was no sign of My Lord, so Rin came to find you,” the little girl answered.
 
“Rin, will you get me a towel, please?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
Rin brought a towel to him and said, “I will wait at the table My Lord,” and dashed back out the way she came.
 
Sesshomaru sighed. He knew that Rin was worried about him. He also knew he did not have to be concerned about her telling everyone that she found him asleep in the bath. The little girl was the most loyal being he had ever had to follow him. Sesshomaru climbed out and dried off with the towel she gave him and went to his chambers and dressed. Once ready, he first went back to check on InuYasha and Kagome again. Both were still asleep. Deciding the two probably needed sleep more than anything else, Sesshomaru went back through his own quarters and met Rin for breakfast.
 
 
After Sesshomaru and Rin had finished their breakfast, Sesshomaru took Rin down to the nursery to see the new arrivals. Rin was fascinated with the four pups. The wet nurse was there with them, making sure they were all well fed. Rin noticed that one of the pups had its hands and feet wrapped and Sesshomaru explained to her that she was a poison youkai like he was, and the claws needed to be kept wrapped until the healer had made an antidote for anyone that might accidentally get scratched. Sesshomaru warned Rin that even thought the pup was tiny, the poison was still very strong. Rin nodded in understanding.
 
Rin also noticed something that no one had the night before. The pups all had purplish red skin when they were born, but their skin had now turned to a normal healthy pink. Each of the pups had the teardrop cross above their left breast as Kichou did. It was the same purplish color as Kaminari's house and had blended into the skin the night before. Sesshomaru's eyes opened wide - he wondered what it meant. Normally the pups bore only the crest of their sire.
 
As if he had heard him call, Kaminari came into the nursery. He stood back, not wanting to interrupt Sesshomaru's moment with Rin and the pups.
 
Sesshomaru said quietly, “Kaminari, will you come and look at this?”
 
Kaminari silently joined Sesshomaru and looked at the pups. His eyebrows disappeared into his bangs as he saw what they were looking at.
 
“My Lord, I have heard of this, but not for centuries,” Kaminari said softly.
 
“What is the meaning of it?” Sesshomaru asked, though with wonder, not anger.
 
“My Lord, you know I have the one younger male sibling who is not of much use, and neither is his mate. Their offspring are as worthless as they are, only wanting handouts rather than actually working. You also know that Kichou is our only child because we could have no others. It appears that even though she is a female, she has been given the strength to carry on the family crest, to continue the bloodlines. It looks like fate as treated her as the last remaining member of our clan, and has allowed her to carry on so we will not be forgotten. From what I understand, Kichou had to be both incredibly strong and honorable for this to have happened,” Kaminari replied.
 
“She is,” Sesshomaru said simply.
 
After watching the pups in silence for another few moments, Sesshomaru finally asked, “Did you need me, Kaminari, or were you here to see your daughter's pups?”
 
“Both, My Lord. They have Kichou ready to see you. She wanted to be cleaned up first, and she is ready now,” Kaminari replied.
 
“Thank you, Kaminari. Rin, I am going to see my mate,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Yes, My Lord. I will see you at lunch?” Rin answered with a question.
 
“Yes, Rin. You will,” Sesshomaru said before he swept out of the room.
 
 
Kichou looked much better than the night before. Kaiho and the healer bowed to Sesshomaru before they left the room.
 
Sesshomaru leaned over and kissed Kichou softly on her lips. “You look much better this morning. Have you seen the pups?”
 
Kichou responded, “Not yet. I was still bleeding heavily but it seems to have almost stopped now. I wanted to be cleaned up before I saw either you or them.”
 
“Well, they are being well-taken care of. The wet nurse is tending to all of them with no problem for the moment. They looked healthy and content,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“What are you not telling me?” Kichou asked.
 
“It is something you will have to see for yourself,” Sesshomaru replied, “You probably would not believe me if I told you.”
 
“Is something wrong with them?” Kichou asked with worry.
 
Sesshomaru took her hand as he kissed her again. “No dear, nothing at all. It is just a bit unusual.”
 
About that time Kaiho came bursting in carrying the male pup, “Kichou, you must see this!”
 
Kaiho handed her daughter the pup. Kichou took his small diapered body in her arms and nuzzled him. “He has all of his fingers and toes, what is it?”
 
“Look at his chest,” her mother replied.
 
Kichou's eyebrows disappeared under her bangs just as her father's had. “What does it mean? I did not know this was possible.”
 
Sesshomaru finally spoke again, “From what your father told me, it means that fate has marked you as the last of your bloodline and allowed you to carry it on even though you are female. You also had to be incredibly strong and honorable for this to happen. Kaminari had heard of it, but not for centuries.”
 
Kichou looked at Sesshomaru. “You are not angry?”
 
“Why would I be angry? It just proves everything I already knew about you, and that you are worthy of helping to carry on my line,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
Kichou smiled at her mate in response and pulled his hand to her lips to kiss it. There really was not anything she could say other than through the tears that leaked from her eyes.
 
Kaiho took the boy back from Kichou to return to the nursery.
 
Sesshomaru leaned over and kissed his mate once more. “I can tell you are still tired. Why do you not go back to sleep, then maybe they will let you join me for dinner.”
 
Kichou nodded and closed her eyes as Sesshomaru left the room.
 
 
Sesshomaru was deep in thought as he walked the corridors towards his study. In the span of less than a year they had defeated Naraku, Sesshomaru had saved InuYasha and Kagome's lives, made amends with his brother and helped InuYasha claim the miko as his mate, then taken Kichou as his mate, and now had three daughters and a son. While Sesshomaru knew at the time that saving InuYasha and Kagome from the wolves was the only honorable and decent thing to do, he had no idea of what the repercussions might be of doing the right thing. Sesshomaru had realized when he took Kichou as his mate that for the first time in his life, he truly felt happy. Now, not only did he feel happy, he felt, well, complete.
 
Sesshomaru was at his desk before he knew it and was brought back to the present day by Kaminari, who had everything that needed to be taken care of regarding the Western Lands. As always, his advisor was efficient and had everything prioritized according to importance.
 
When they had taken care of everything that needed Sesshomaru's attention for the day, Kaminari finally asked, “So you are not angry that the pups bear the marks of both our houses?”
 
Sesshomaru placed his quill in its holder and pushed back from his desk. “No Kaminari, I am not. I have been honored to work with you over the centuries. You are honest and loyal and served my father well and have continued to do so under my rule. Your daughter is strong and brave, and I am honored that she is my mate. If fate chose Kichou to carry on your family line, then so be it. Our pups will have added strength from having both marks on their bodies, for I see our combined lines only as more powerful, not weak.”
 
Kaminari nodded in understanding. “May I make a suggestion then, My Lord?”
 
“What is it, Kaminari?”
 
“I would like to keep a guard posted on the pups. Your heirs may become targets, plus the fact they bear the crest of both houses will make some afraid of them. Also, Kichou never knew she had a male twin - he was only a few days old when he died. I always suspected foul play, but could prove nothing. Kaiho was devastated when he was found dead in his crib without a mark on him. That made me afraid that someone did not want me to have a male heir,” Kaminari said solemnly, and then added, “And because I had been injured, we never had the chance to try again.”
 
Sesshomaru bristled with anger at the thought someone would go after helpless pups. “Take any precautions you see necessary. Try not to worry either Kichou or your mate - just tell them it is a precaution since the pups are my heirs. Have only a very short list of who is allowed access to them unless they are in the company of one of us. InuYasha and Kagome as well as Rin are allowed, but other than them, I can think of no others that should need to see them other your mate, Kichou, the healer and the wet nurse.”
 
Kaminari breathed a sigh of relief, he was glad the Great Lord was taking him seriously. “It will be taken care of, My Lord. Will you be having lunch in your quarters?”
 
“Yes. I told Rin I would have lunch with her. I also need to check on my brother and the miko to see if they have awakened yet. They were still sound asleep when I checked on them before breakfast,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
“The miko must have used a tremendous amount of energy to save Kichou,” Kaminari said softly.
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “And InuYasha has used a lot trying to help her replenish hers. Their auras were both still visible this morning, which meant the miko was still drawing from his energy.”
 
“May I ask how you learned all of this, My Lord?” Kaminari hesitantly asked.
 
Sesshomaru actually chuckled. “When I reached the village they call home, I was told InuYasha and Kagome had gone for a walk. I followed their scent and found them coupled together in the woods. I had asked could they not go a single day without doing that when I realized that I could smell InuYasha's youkai blood and saw that his eyes had bled red and his cheeks carried his youkai markings. I started to back away when InuYasha told me he had control.”
 
“He had control?” Kaminari asked.
 
“Yes, he actually had control of it. He was not in a mindless bloodlust like when his or his mate's life was threatened. He was still coupled with his mate when he told me to take a whiff of Kagome. I did and realized she was pregnant. That was when InuYasha told me that the pup needed youkai energy, and that was the way to infuse it into her body when she needed it quickly or needed a large amount,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“But how did he gain such control over his youkai? I witnessed his bloodlust myself when he destroyed Tougai,” Kaminari asked.
 
“According to InuYasha, it was when Kagome was fertile. I talked with him beforehand about releasing fertile seed into a willing mate in heat in case the same things happened to him as an Inu-hanyou as it did to us as a full Inu-Youkai. I had suggested he allow his youkai to help him through it since I thought his baser instincts would help if allowed. It also appears that taking Kagome as his mate has made InuYasha much calmer and given him a great deal more control than he ever had before. InuYasha said that he only does it to help his mate, though. He does not trust himself to turn his youkai lose in other situations,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
“And he does not really need to. The power of his aura is almost overwhelming. It is as strong as either of ours,” Kaminari remarked seriously.
 
“As is the miko's. I do not think either of them truly understands how much power they carry. It is fortunate for us that they are both honorable and our allies. I would not want either of them as an enemy,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
Kaminari nodded in agreement, and then said, “Thank you for the discussion, My Lord. You should return to your quarters now. I am certain that Rin is hungry and waiting for you.”
 
Sesshomaru placed his hand on his advisor's shoulder as he passed him and left the study.
 
 
Sesshomaru did indeed find Rin waiting for his company for lunch. He asked her to wait just a few more minutes while he went to check on InuYasha and Kagome.
 
Sesshomaru knocked softly and was surprised to hear, “Come in.”
 
The Demon Lord entered the suite and found InuYasha and Kagome awake, but still lying in bed. “Are you two feeling better?”
 
Kagome stretched and yawned. “Yes, how is Kichou? Is she all right?”
 
“She is asleep right now. You saved her and the last pup. They would surely have died if you had not healed her,” Sesshomaru said softly.
 
“I thought the last pup had already been born?” Kagome asked.
 
“There was one more, she had four,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
“Wow, four?” Kagome asked.
 
“Four,” The Demon Lord answered, and then asked, “I was about to have lunch with Rin. Do you feel up to joining us?”
 
InuYasha finally spoke as he stretched as well, “I'm starved. Can you give us a few minutes to get dressed?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded and said, “Rin and I will be waiting.”
 
 
To be continued…