InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ The Waning Quarter Moon ( Chapter 37 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 37: The Waning Quarter Moon (Warning: Lemons)
 
Kichou was as good as her word, and helped Kagome and InuYasha to find a nanny. While the kitsune didn't have any actual paid nanny experience, she had plenty of experience with her own kits and then their kits. She had also been very helpful with Rin and Shippou's hanyou kits. She was actually the mate of one of the kitsune in Sesshomaru's guard, so though she wasn't an Inu, she certainly knew their ways and habits after being among them so much for the last six centuries. Miwaku was kind and gentle and had a warm smile and laugh. Kagome liked her instantly, and the twins seemed to as well. For the final opinion, she asked InuYasha to meet her. She even passed his intense scrutiny with flying colors.
 
They worked out a schedule that seemed to be agreeable for all of them. Mai had started coming in earlier and was there about 8:00 am each morning, leaving between 5:00 and 6:00 pm in the evening. Miwaku's mate worked a swing shift that went from 11:00 am in the morning until 8:00 pm at night Tuesday through Saturday. They had arranged for Miwaku to come in after she had made sure her mate was off to work, and then she would leave so she could get home in time to feed him dinner. Everyone seemed happy and it would give Miwaku something to do to fill the hours her mate was at work. Mai would continue to come in basically from 8:00 - 5:00 on Monday through Friday, and Miwaku would come in from 11:30 - 7:30 Tuesday through Saturday. That left only Sunday where InuYasha and Kagome were totally alone with their twins. While they were grateful for the help that their housekeeper and nanny gave them, they did like to have at least one day to themselves.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
It was one such Sunday morning and InuYasha and Kagome had successfully cleaned, changed and fed the twins, who were now three weeks old. They were already starting to sleep better through the night, and Kagome wasn't feeling as tired as she usually did. She surprised her mate by leading him to their bedroom and then pulling him to her in a kiss. She startled him further by reaching with one hand for an ear and the other into his pajama bottoms.
 
“I've neglected you long enough,” she whispered huskily.
 
“But Kagome…we can't…you're not supposed to…” InuYasha responded softly. “The doctor said not to until you have your checkup at six weeks, and maybe not even then. You're still bleeding some.”
 
“That doesn't mean I can't bring my mate pleasure. Please InuYasha, let me do this,” Kagome answered as she continued to stroke him.
 
InuYasha couldn't deny the feelings she was bringing to the surface. He had missed being with his mate physically, but knew it couldn't be helped. However, he still found himself with his chest rumbling as he leaned into her hand, well - hands.
 
He was already bare-chested, and found his pajama bottoms being lowered. He stepped out of them and then lay on his back on the bed as Kagome requested.
 
Kagome continued to stimulate his now hard erection with feathery touches as she kissed her mate hard on the mouth. She began trailing kisses down his jaw line and neck, working her way down his body, making sure to include each nipple. Kagome then surprised her mate by working her way back up to the top of his head and pulling one of his soft ears into her mouth. He shuddered as she ran her tongue from the base inside of the ear up to the tip, gently sucking on it as she stroked the other ear with her thumb. Kagome then started trailing back down his body, stopping to pay attention to every sensitive point along the way.
 
InuYasha had started to heave somewhat as his mate slowly tortured him with her touch. It had been months since they had engaged in solely bringing pleasure to each other. The last few months of the pregnancy InuYasha would always try to make sure his mate was at least somewhat satisfied, and he did get his release from her needs of youkai energy. However, he missed it when they would spend hours exploring each other's bodies and trying to find new ways to satisfy each other's desires.
 
InuYasha was starting to pant already, and Kagome had only made it to his belly button. One hand was still alternating between stroking his erection and gently fondling his sac. InuYasha squirmed as he felt her hot breath pass him by and start to nip and lick at his inner thighs instead. He was now so hard that he was starting to twitch in anticipation of what was to come.
 
Kagome finally made it to the object of her desire. She pulled the velvety tip into her mouth and swirled her tongue around the head. InuYasha couldn't help himself as he bucked upwards and tried to get her to take more in. Kagome smiled to herself and instead released the tip and started teasing him with her tongue, working down the shaft and back up again. As she passed across the tip she would suck it in just long enough to drive him insane, and then work her way back down the other side.
 
“Please, `gome, I can't take much more,” InuYasha pleaded.
 
“Patience, my hanyou. This will probably have to last the rest of the week, if not longer,” his mate responded softly as she continued her torture.
 
She worked down towards his sac and gently suckled each of the two balls within. She finally released them and worked her way back up, pulling his head back into her mouth.
 
Kagome continued to swirl her tongue around it and suck as she started to work the rest with her hand. With each stroke, she would pull a little more into her mouth until she finally had as much as she could handle, letting her hand take care of the rest.
 
“Please, `gome. Harder,” InuYasha begged.
 
Kagome actually complied and started to drive harder and pick up speed.
 
InuYasha felt like his eyes were going to roll back in his head as his breathing became even more ragged. “`gome, you're…so…close…please…don't…stop.”
 
Kagome now had both hands wrapped around him as she continued to pump him. She felt him take a big breath before she heard, “Oh, `gome…aaaaarrrrrrgh.”
 
Kagome smiled again to herself and drove down hard one last time as InuYasha exploded into her mouth. She gently continued to massage him as he continued to pump. When he was finally finished, she gently licked him clean and then scooted up alongside her mate.
 
“Oh, Kagome. Thank you,” InuYasha whispered before he leaned over to kiss his mate. “Is there anything I can do for you? I don't want to leave you hanging, but I don't want to hurt you.”
 
“The doctor said the only thing that is safe is if you use your hand, but you can't go in, you have to stay out. You can't use your wonderful tongue, either. There's too great a risk for infection,” Kagome replied. She really didn't expect InuYasha to try and satisfy her. Her favorite ways were taboo for now.
 
InuYasha did surprise her by sucking on his middle finger and reached into her pajama bottoms. He found her clit and softly started to rub her sensitive pearl. He put his finger in his mouth again for more moisture, and went back to his ministrations.
 
Kagome lay on her back and closed her eyes. She understood why her mate left her pajama bottoms intact - he might be tempted to do something he wasn't supposed to with easier access. Kagome sighed as InuYasha worked to bring her at least a little satisfaction.
 
“Inu…ya…sha…that's…it,” Kagome grunted as she started to feel the tightening in her lower regions. Kami, it seemed like forever since she had felt that.
 
“Please, faster…” she pleaded.
 
InuYasha complied and picked up the pace, rubbing harder as he did so.
 
“InuYasha…” Kagome cried as she started to buck into his hand.
 
InuYasha continued to rub at a less fevered pace as her body continued to respond. When he thought she probably couldn't take much more, InuYasha finally stopped and leaned over to kiss her again.
 
“Better?” he asked.
 
Kagome was still gasping for air. “Better. I'd almost forgotten what that felt like.”
 
“We'll have to try to remind each other more often,” her mate said as he smiled softly at her.
 
Both content for the moment, InuYasha pulled Kagome to him. With his arms wrapped protectively around her, they fell asleep.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
On the western side of Tokyo Kichou and Sesshomaru were secluded in their quarters. Sesshomaru had dismissed the staff for the day and made it clear he wasn't to be disturbed unless there was a real emergency. He wanted no interruptions as he spent the day with his mate.
 
They hadn't discussed it again, but Sesshomaru knew what Kichou desired and was going to allow her to have her way this time. She was in heat and this time he wouldn't deny her.
 
Kichou had stripped and laid waiting on their large bed, her knees bent and legs spread waiting for her lord to come to her. She wasn't disappointed. Kichou arched her back as she felt his tongue dig into her. He had cupped her butt with his hands and was rocking her in motion with his movements as he dug into her as deeply as he could reach. Kichou had her legs wrapped around his neck at this point. As much as she wanted him in her, this felt too good to deny.
 
Sesshomaru managed to place one of his fangs so it applied pressure to just the right spot as he continued to stroke and dip with his tongue. He could hear Kichou gasp and pant with pleasure as he drove her until she finally started to orgasm violently.
 
“Oh, Kami…Ses…sho…maru…that…that…was…f antastic,” Kichou panted, her body still trembling.
 
She heard a feral sound from her mate and looked down to see that his eyes had glazed over red in lust. He licked at her core until he had her hot and wet again, and then flipped her over on her stomach.
 
Kichou brought herself up on her knees, spread her legs and thrust her herself towards her mate to give him easier access. She groaned in pleasure as she felt him start to mount her from behind, and thrust herself back into him as he slowly slid into her until his length was fully sheathed.
 
Sesshomaru started with long, slow strokes, wanting to enjoy the friction himself before he started to knot up and became tied with his mate. He would pull himself almost all of the way out and then slam into her again, and only the sound of their slapping bodies, grunts and moans were heard. He felt Kichou starting to clench him with her inner muscles, desperately wanting his fertile seed released into her body. He felt himself starting to grow larger and harder so he drove in deep as his knot started to form.
 
Kichou thought her eyes would pop out of her head from the sheer pleasure she was feeling. Her mate was now so large that he was hitting her most sensitive spot with every thrust. Her body had started to orgasm and continued to spasm and tremble as Sesshomaru pumped into her. Kichou couldn't speak even if she wanted to, she couldn't catch her breath. All Kichou seemed to be capable of was to grunt and moan in pleasure.
 
Locked inside her body, Sesshomaru continued with hard, short thrusts until he flooded her womb with the seed she had been begging for. While he continued to fill her with his heat, his hands started making gentle soothing circular patterns starting at her buttocks and then working his way up her back and around to her breasts. Sesshomaru had closed his eyes and thrown back his head, howling when he came. He reopened his eyes, now golden again, as his hands found her breasts. Sesshomaru lay across his mate's back and started those soothing growls in his chest that vibrated through her entire body.
 
Kichou's arms were starting to tremble from holding up their combined weights. She lowered herself to her forearms and rested her head as Sesshomaru continued to gently stroke her body. Her lover finally pulled them over on their side. Sesshomaru nuzzled her neck as he rubbed her abdomen with his hand.
 
They had both decided this was even more pleasurable since Sesshomaru had both hands now. He had only had one when he sired their pups, and their tie was totally unexpected when InuYasha had mated with Kagome. They would definitely have to do this a few more times while Kichou was still in heat.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
InuYasha and Kagome were startled from their nap by the squalling of their two infants. Even InuYasha had no warning as he usually did. The two just started crying at about the same time. The couple hurriedly pulled on sweats and ran into the nursery. InuYasha picked up the closest infant and quickly changed her before handing her to Kagome. While Kagome tried to get her to nurse, he changed the boy. However, both pups continued to cry and Kagome couldn't get Aimiko to nurse. InuYasha handed her Aki and he took the girl, rocking her in his arms and emanating a low growl trying to sooth her. Aimiko finally started to settle down in her father's arms and appeared to go back to sleep.
 
Kagome was having the same problem with Aki. He was continuing to scream, and he wouldn't eat. Since Aimiko had settled back down, InuYasha tried trading with Kagome again. Just as he was getting the boy to calm down and stop crying, Aimiko woke up and started squalling at the top of her lungs.
 
Kagome was starting to get frantic, what was wrong with the pups? They were clean and dry, but they wouldn't eat. They wouldn't stop crying unless their father held them. Not even Kagome could sooth their cries.
 
“Oh Kami, InuYasha. What's wrong with them?” Kagome asked her mate frantically. “Why won't they stop crying - are they sick? They've never been like this.”
 
Kagome was now crying as well.
 
InuYasha motioned for Kagome to get up, and he sat down in her chair. Aki had now stopped crying again so he shifted him to cradle him in one arm. He motioned for Kagome to hand him Aimiko. Kagome did and the girl started to settle back down as well.
 
“I…I don't understand. What is wrong with them that they'll stop crying for you and not for me?” Kagome still had tears pouring down her face.
 
InuYasha took a good sniff of first Aki, and then Aimiko. Neither twin's Inu scent was a strong as it normally would be.
 
“Kagome, go and look on the calendar and see what the moon phase is tonight. I think we are about to find out when their human night is,” InuYasha said seriously, both infants cradled in his arms.
 
“Wha…what?” Kagome asked. “Why would that make them cry so?”
 
“It's hard to explain, but we feel lost without our senses. Their sense of smell and the strength that they have is already starting to fade. They're terrified because they don't understand it. They stopped crying for me because they can feel that I have the strength to protect them. You might try reaching out with your miko aura to see if that will comfort them any. They will have to be a little older before they understand that neither of us will allow anything to happen to them,” InuYasha responded.
 
Kagome wiped her tears away. She was still sniffling as she said, “I'll go and check. I'll be right back. But they aren't even a month old yet. I thought it might be related to the night they were born.”
 
Kagome came back a few minutes later. “It's the waning quarter moon, the one before the new moon. I guess we will know for certain at sundown.”
 
“Kagome, just out of curiosity, will you look and see what phase the moon was in when you got pregnant?” InuYasha asked.
 
Kagome came back with a look of surprise. “How did you know?”
 
“It was just a guess. I was born during a full lunar eclipse, so I always thought that maybe that had affected the night I turned mortal, but then I thought about it. If a hanyou was born, and everyone knew when, then it seems that they would all be able to figure out when their mortal time was, but it doesn't work that way. Rarely does anyone know when a hanyou's mortal time is unless they allow others to know. So, what if it were based on when they were conceived instead? Hardly anyone would know that other than the parents,” InuYasha stated.
 
“InuYasha, you can't hold both of them through the night until dawn. We need to figure something out,” Kagome said softly.
 
“Here, why don't you take one of them and see if your miko aura will work,” InuYasha said.
 
Kagome reached down and took Aki from his father. It didn't take him long to wake up and start crying again. Kagome concentrated and surrounded them both with her aura, but he continued to cry.
 
“Oh, InuYasha, what are we going to do? It doesn't look like I can help much,” Kagome was continuing to rock the boy to try and sooth him as she walked around the room.
 
InuYasha headed to the living room with his charge. “Come on, let's try something.”
 
InuYasha sat on the couch and then had Kagome sit next to him. She shifted Aki so that he was in her arm that was snuggled into InuYasha's side. In just a few minutes, he had settled down again.
 
“Do you think they might eat now? I'll worry myself sick if they don't,” Kagome said softly.
 
“It's worth a try,” InuYasha said. “Let me hold him for a minute.”
 
InuYasha held both infants as Kagome exposed one breast before she took Aki back. He was fussy at first, but then decided he was hungry and began to nurse. Kagome sighed in relief and sat back. When he appeared to be finished, she grabbed the towel they left thrown over the back of the couch just in case it was needed, and burped him. Aki cooed happily as he was handed back to his father and Kagome took Aimiko. She placed her to her other breast, and to Kagome's relief, the little girl decided she would nurse as well.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Sesshomaru and Kichou had fallen asleep while tied, and woke up to discover that their bodies had separated. Sesshomaru was happily snuggling with his mate when he felt the wave of frantic fear wash through him.
 
“Damn, something's wrong,” Sesshomaru said, thinking the timing couldn't be worse.
 
“What is it?” Kichou asked him.
 
“Something is going on with Kagome and InuYasha. He's worried and she's downright frantic,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“You don't think something is wrong with the twins, do you?” Kichou asked. “They've been doing so well.”
 
Sesshomaru sighed and kissed his mate. “I know the timing is terrible, but would you mind if I went over there and checked it out?”
 
“You'd better go. Neither of them gets upset or panics that easily,” Kichou answered. “Just either hurry back or call me and let me know what's going on.”
 
Sesshomaru rolled out of bed and pulled on a jogging suit. “This had better be important, Little Brother.”
 
Sesshomaru kissed Kichou before going outside and vanishing to the east.
 
 
InuYasha was sitting on the couch with Kagome snuggled up to him, both twins against his body. He was thinking that he really might have to go to the bathroom soon, but how without the twins waking up and screaming again. He was jolted out of his thoughts by a tap at the terrace door. Knowing it could only be one person, he yelled, “Come on in!”
 
Sesshomaru came through the door. The scene he was looking at wasn't what he felt only a short time before at all. “What's going on, InuYasha. I could feel both of your worry and fear from home, but nothing looks wrong.”
 
Kagome's eyes were still puffy from where she had been crying, so something had indeed been wrong. Sesshomaru walked over to his brother, mate and pups, waiting for InuYasha to answer him.
 
“We think the pups' human night is tonight. They woke up terrified because they are starting to lose their senses. They will only stop crying if I have them. Kagome can't even comfort them. We've been trying to figure out how we are going to get through the night with both of them if they will only stop crying if I hold them,” InuYasha answered, trying not to wrinkle his nose at the strong scent of sex and sweat his brother carried.
 
InuYasha's eyes opened wide. “Oh fuck, Sesshomaru, I'm sorry. I was hoping you could come and might be able to help, but we were so worried that I didn't…”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. “Do you think we can help?”
 
“I…I don't know. Maybe. I think they stopped crying for me because they can feel my strength. Even Kagome's miko aura didn't comfort them. Try taking the one that Kagome has and see what happens,” InuYasha said.
 
Sesshomaru took Aimiko from Kagome. The little girl snuggled into his arm and remained asleep.
 
“Well, that answers that. But Sesshomaru, you…Kichou…I…I…didn't mean to interrupt,” InuYasha said, flushing red.
 
“What is it, InuYasha?” Kagome asked. Of course she couldn't smell what InuYasha could.
 
“Kichou wants to have more pups. I think they were working on it,” InuYasha said as politely as he could.
 
Kagome flushed red now. “Oh Sesshomaru, I'm so sorry. We can manage somehow for the night.”
 
“It was a long enough night with one adult hanyou. I can't imagine what it will be like with two infants who don't know what is happening to them,” Sesshomaru responded. “How do you know that is what is wrong with them?”
 
“Take a good whiff of the one in your arms,” InuYasha responded.
 
Sesshomaru realized what his brother was talking about. The pup was starting to smell more human than Inu.
 
“Could you hold both of them long enough for me to use the can? I really need to take a leak,” InuYasha stated bluntly.
 
Sesshomaru chuckled, sat down, and cradled other infant in his other arm.
 
InuYasha had a look of relief on his face when he came back from the bedroom. “You know, we could compromise, and have both.”
 
“What do you mean, Little Brother?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“I don't want you to miss out on mating with Kichou, but I don't know how we will make it through the night without them screaming their heads off anytime I need to go to the bathroom or do anything else. What if you two used the spare bedroom and just relieved us between sessions?” InuYasha stated seriously. “You're welcome to use the shower or bath as well if you want.”
 
“I promised to call Kichou and let her know what was going on. I'll let her know the problem and your suggestion. Do you mind?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
InuYasha sat back down on the other side of Kagome and they took the two infants from the Demon Lord.
 
“Why don't you use the phone in the bedroom?” Kagome said as she took Aki into her arms and snuggled into InuYasha's side with him.
 
 
Sesshomaru emerged from the master bedroom. “Kichou understands the situation and is coming over. We may or may not take you up on your offer. She said something about she isn't as young as she used to be. She also asked about dinner.”
 
“Oi, dinner? We haven't even had lunch. They started bawling and we've been with them ever since. Did she want to pick something up, or should we have something delivered?” InuYasha asked.
 
“She likes that place down the street you order from so frequently. Why don't you order a combination of Nikujaga, Tempura and the Banbanji for the four of us, unless you want something different,” Sesshoumaru suggested.
 
“We both like their Nikujaga and Tempura, and I know Kichou really liked their Banbanji. I'll get plenty for all of us,” Kagome said. “Will you hold Aki long enough for me to call?”
 
Sesshomaru took the boy from his mother and Kagome called the restaurant as well as downstairs to tell them they were expecting a delivery.
 
When Kagome came back, Sesshomaru stood with his charge. “If you don't mind, I really would like to take a shower. I kind of left in a hurry when I felt worry and fear from both of you.”
 
“Thank you, Sesshomaru. You have no idea how much we appreciate this,” Kagome said as she took Aki back and settled him against his father before he could wake and start to cry again.
 
 
Kichou arrived the same time their food did. When she saw the side of the delivery van, she asked the guard if it was for the penthouse. It was so she carried it up the elevator with her.
 
She went ahead and let herself in since they were expecting her. Kichou really didn't know exactly what to expect as she entered the penthouse. Considering how irritable InuYasha usually was on his human night, she couldn't imagine how two young pups that weren't old enough to understand would feel.
 
Kichou smiled at the scene that met her. Sesshomaru was walking the floor with the boy to his shoulder, gently patting his back and emitting a soft growl. InuYasha was doing the same thing with his sister. Poor Kagome looked lost, not knowing what to do since she couldn't comfort either pup for the first time.
 
Kagome saw Kichou and went to go and help her. She explained as much as she could while they pulled the tempura out to eat first. The Nikujaga would reheat, and the Banbanji was good cold, so they set those aside for now.
 
“How do we want to do this?” Kagome asked.
 
“I can manage with one hand if I have to,” InuYasha said. Kami knows how many times he had to eat with one arm wrapped up for one reason or another.
 
“Well, I think it doesn't need to be said that I can also manage with only one arm,” Sesshomaru added.
 
Kichou and Kagome set the tempura where everyone could reach it and passed out the bowls and chopsticks. Kagome elected to help her mate out, anyway, and put his rice within easy reach and some of the shrimp and his favorite vegetables in his bowl.
 
They made it through their meal without the twins waking up.
 
It was getting near sundown when they really started to cry again. It looked like nothing would be able to pacify them as they changed in front of everyone's eyes.
 
Both twins turned mortal as the sun dropped below the horizon and out of sight. As with InuYasha, the most startling change was Aimiko. Her silver hair turned black and her eyes violet-black, just as her father's did when he changed. The change was hardly noticeable in Aki at all. He already had the dark hair and eyes, so the only really noticeable thing were the ears disappearing off of the top of his head and human ears appearing instead. Now, if you did not know they were a boy and a girl, you would have sworn they were identical twins. They looked exactly alike.
 
Now that the twins were both human, they decided to give another try to see if Kagome could comfort them. At first none of them could, but both of the infants eventually cried themselves out. They didn't know if it was from sheer exhaustion, or if it was because their demon senses were completely gone, but they both stopped crying and did not start again when Kagome held them.
 
It became clear pretty quickly that was the only thing that had changed. If they tried to set either infant down for longer than it took to change it, they started crying again. It looked like it was going to be a long night.
 
The pups and been cleaned, changed and fed and Kagome and InuYasha had settled onto the couch with them. Kichou came to them and said, “I hope you don't mind, but I think I want to take you up on your offer.”
 
Kagome and InuYasha both blushed, but said they understood.
 
“Isn't that pool on the terrace heated?” Kichou asked.
 
InuYasha grinned and nodded. “Take some towels out with you. There are some spare robes in the extra bedroom if you want to use them.”
 
Kichou smiled and nodded and went and stripped out of her clothes and found one of the robes hanging in the closet. She grabbed some clean towels from the linen closet. “Tell my mate I'll be waiting.” With that, she went through the terrace door and closed it behind her.
 
Sesshomaru came out of the bathroom. InuYasha just grinned and pointed to the outside and told him he could get a robe out of the bedroom if he wanted. A few minutes later, Sesshomaru went by, obviously naked except for the robe he had thrown on.
 
Kagome just smiled and snuggled into InuYasha's side and tried to at least take a nap. She was startled awake some time later as they heard Sesshomaru howl Kichou's name to the night sky, and she was howling his along with him. They made quite a duet.
 
 
They made it through their first human night, though it seemed to last forever. It always seemed long enough with InuYasha, but staying awake with two infants was hard. They were all exhausted by the next morning - well Sesshomaru and Kichou not so much from pup sitting as they were from making new pups. However, they had been a great help when they would relieve InuYasha and Kagome for a little while so they could tend to their own needs or to do something as simple as bend and stretch.
 
The pups seemed much happier the following morning when the sun came back up. The change washed over them just as it did InuYasha after the new moon, and soon they were crying again. At least this time, they were just hungry. Kagome knew to expect that - InuYasha was always hungry when he changed back, too. Thank goodness it was Monday. Mai would be there soon to cook breakfast. In the meantime, they took care of the pups, making sure they were clean and fed, and were finally able to put them to bed.
 
 
Sesshomaru and Kichou were actually glad they had gone to help his brother and Kagome when they needed it. They both decided that if they could deal with two very upset hanyou pups turned human for an entire night, then they could certainly take care of their own Inu-youkai pups again. Sesshomaru had even found it rewarding as he walked and held one of the pups to soothe it from its fears. He found himself looking forward to new pups again.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
InuYasha had finally decided it was time for Kagome to see at least a couple of her old friends. He had always liked Ayume and Niro and called to see if they would like to come and visit. Ayume was excited and said they would love to come. Neither she nor Niro had classes on Fridays, and asked if that would be okay. InuYasha told them to come in the early afternoon. That way both Mai and Miwaku would be there to take care of the twins so Kagome could visit with her friends.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Mai seemed unusually sad one day. She did her job as usual, but InuYasha was worried about her. He finally spoke to Kagome about it after Mai had gone home.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“Do you know what's wrong with Mai? She seems really sad. She isn't unhappy working here, is she?”
 
“No, InuYasha. That isn't it. She's worried about her mother,” Kagome answered.
 
“Is there anything we can do to help her?” InuYasha asked.
 
Kagome shook her head. “She had breast cancer years ago. Back in those days they just did a radical mastectomy automatically. You know, where they removed both breasts. She had both chemotherapy and radiation, and they say they got it all.”

InuYasha was horrified at the thought they would have to remove a woman's breasts. “You mean they had…they had to…”
 
“The cancer would have killed her, so they completely removed both breasts. That was when her husband left her. Mai says there isn't really anything anyone can do. Her mother has never gotten over it and is severely depressed from a broken heart. Mai does what she can, but her mother keeps waiting for her husband to come home. They've tried a bunch of different anti-depressants with her, but nothing really seems to work. She doesn't want to take them, and she's lost the will to live.”
 
First, InuYasha was incredibly angry at the thought someone would abandon his mate because of something like that. How could you run off and leave someone you loved when they needed you most?
 
“So there isn't anything that we…or you…could do to help?” he asked quietly.
 
“I'm sorry, InuYasha. I wish I could help her. I'm afraid the only broken heart I had the ability to heal was yours,” Kagome said as she wrapped her arms around her mate and nestled against his chest.
 
InuYasha responded by holding her tight and resting his chin on her head. He should have known Kagome would try to help her if she could.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
As promised, Ayume and Niro came to visit on Friday. InuYasha had gone down to the lobby to meet them and escort them back up the elevator. He had already warned Mai and Miwaku that the couple was coming. He also told Miwaku that they knew about youkai and hanyou, even if InuYasha was the only one they had really met. He thought Niro would be interested in meeting Miwaku, who was a full kitsune. That also got InuYasha wondering about Niro's heritage. He was certain that the young man's grandfather wasn't lying to him when he told them he had a kitsune as an ancestor. InuYasha just wondered if the hanyou in question had produced a child as hanyou or as a human as Lord Izumioka had mentioned. Then there was the question was it male or female? InuYasha decided he better quit thinking about it before it gave him a headache.
 
InuYasha called Kagome when he came in with the couple, and she squealed when she saw Ayume with InuYasha. Kagome hugged her friend and then told her to come and see her twins. She took her hand and led her away, Niro and InuYasha following behind.
 
Ayume and Niro's eyes both opened wide when they saw Miwaku in the nursery. She did not wear her concealment charm when she was at the penthouse, and InuYasha had told her it wasn't necessary for this particular couple.
 
“Ayume and Niro, we would like for you to meet our nanny, Miwaku. Niro, she is a kitsune youkai like your grandfather told you his great-great grandfather was,” Kagome told them.
 
“Wow, really?” Niro asked after Ayume and he had bowed upon their introduction.
 
“Really,” Kagome said with a smile.
 
“It's very nice to meet you,” Niro told Miwaku.
 
It was Ayume's turn to squeal when she looked in the cribs at the two pups. “Oh my, I can't believe how cute they are! May I hold one of them?”
 
“This is the girl,” Kagome said as she picked up the silver-haired infant. “Her name is Aimiko.”
 
“She's so beautiful. She looks just like InuYasha, doesn't she?” Ayume asked.
 
“Actually, they both do. The boy's name is Aki. He has dark hair like mine, but his face looks like his father. He's stubborn like him too,” Kagome added for good measure.
 
“Oi, wench. Who are you calling stubborn?” InuYasha said with a grin as he picked up his son to show to the couple.
 
“If the shoe fits…”
 
“I think Mai fixed a snack for everyone. We'd better put these two back to bed before they wake up and start to cry,” InuYasha said as he put Aki back in his crib.
 
Kagome nodded and set Aimiko back in her crib as well.
 
They went out to the living room to find the cookies that Mai had baked waiting for them. She had made InuYasha's favorite oatmeal raisin along with Kagome's favorite, chocolate-chocolate chip. InuYasha asked what the others wanted to drink. He pulled sodas from the refrigerator for everyone else, and poured a glass of milk for himself. This time he made sure to pay attention and use the milk container from the store, and not one with Kagome's breast milk.
 
Kagome enjoyed her visit with her old friends tremendously. After they had left, she kissed InuYasha.
 
“What was that for?” her hanyou asked.
 
“For thinking about me, and asking them over. It was nice to catch up with them,” Kagome said.
 
“Keh. I just don't want you to start going stir crazy. You should probably start trying to get out a little bit since the pups are going longer between feedings and we have Miwaku here to help with them,” InuYasha responded after he kissed her on the forehead.
 
“Thank you for thinking so much about me. Maybe we can make a date and go out after we go back and visit with Kaede. By then, I might not be as worried about leaving them for a little while,” Kagome answered.
 
“All right. We'll plan on it. First we have to have the pups blessed, then we need to see Kaede, and then we need a little time to ourselves. I'm going to hold you to it,” InuYasha said with a smile.
 
“Count on it,” Kagome said as she kissed him again.
 
 
To be continued…