InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ The Days of Our Lives ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou as well as any other original characters.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 40: The Days of Our Lives
 
December seemed to fly by and before they knew it, it was time for Christmas again. Since it fell on Sunday this year, InuYasha and Kagome had invited Mama, Souta, Grandpa, Kichou, Sesshomaru, Rin and Shippou over. They exchanged gifts, but mostly enjoyed the afternoon they spent together, the pups being the center of attention at they were passed around from one person to the next. 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
As usual, everything was closed for the first few days of the New Year. Kagome and InuYasha decided to wait a couple of days to allow the traffic at the shrine to slow down a bit before they would go back and visit Kaede, Sango, Miroku and the baby to see how they were doing, as well as the villagers. Considering how cold it was the last time they went, InuYasha and Kagome really didn't want to take the pups with them this time, but they weren't sure what to do. Mai and Miwaku also were off for the holiday to spend time with their families.
 
Once again, Kichou came to the rescue. She volunteered for Sesshomaru and herself to come over and take care of the pups for the day. She thought it would be good practice for them both, plus they really didn't have any plans, anyway. Their own adult pups were all off doing their own thing, and Kichou knew the shrine was extremely busy the first few days of the New Year, making it almost impossible for Mrs. Higurashi to get away. Kichou reminded her mate it was just for the day as they headed over to the penthouse.
 
Sesshomaru was muttering it was too early, and he hadn't had enough coffee yet as they went up the elevator. On the top floor, InuYasha was making a similar complaint to his mate. At least a pot of coffee was brewing and would be ready in a few minutes. Sometimes Kagome wondered if that was InuYasha's real reason for not wanting to live in the past any longer. While he could still do without many of their modern conveniences, there was no doubt he would miss his fresh-roasted coffee.
 
Kagome opened the door to let Kichou and Sesshomaru in. Sesshomaru immediately smelled the fresh pot of coffee and headed straight to the kitchen. He didn't even have to ask - InuYasha was pouring him a large mug as Sesshomaru came in and pushed it across the counter to his brother. Sesshomaru just nodded before putting the cup to his lips as a loud sigh escaped him.
 
Kichou and Kagome just looked at each other and smiled - the two half-brothers were more alike than they would ever want to admit.
 
“We can't thank you enough for coming over. We really want to go back and check on everyone, but it was so cold last time that we didn't want to take the pups with us if we could help it,” Kagome said to Kichou.
 
“That winter after your last trip to the Western Lands was the coldest I can ever remember,” Kichou said. “It's probably a good thing you aren't taking them with you this time. I'm sure the others will understand.”
 
“Are you ready, InuYasha?” Kagome called.
 
“In a minute,” InuYasha responded as he finished his cup of coffee. Draining the last drop, he placed his mug in the sink and headed for the door.
 
InuYasha was already dressed in his firerat and hakama with Tessaiga at his side. Since everyone around the shrine dressed in costume at this time of the year, no one would really think anything about it. However, this time Kagome didn't have to nag at him to wear the long underwear. InuYasha remembered how cold it was last time they went back.
 
Kagome was dressed warmly in several layers of clothing with a warm coat on top. As before, she had sent supplies to the shrine before the holiday so she would have them to carry into the past with her. The oversized backpack was already waiting there as well. Kagome told Kichou there was food in the refrigerator they could heat up, or that their favorite restaurant down the block was number five on the speed-dial. While most restaurants were closed during the holidays, this one had discovered a booming business by having takeout and deliveries only. They still had closed on January first, but had reopened with a partial staff to handle cooking and deliveries for January second and third before they fully reopened on January fourth with everyone else.
 
Kichou already knew everything she needed to know about the twins from her last stay there while InuYasha was on assignment with Sesshomaru, including the fact Kagome's breast milk was stored for the pups in the refrigerator. Assuring Kagome and InuYasha they would be just fine for the day, Kichou walked to the door with the couple and told them they would see them later. Sesshomaru was already on another cup of coffee in front of the television with the twenty-four hour news channel on.
 
 
It was early, but Kagome knew everyone would be up at the shrine getting ready for the day's visitors. She called out to let them know they had arrived as she and InuYasha entered the house. As expected, her family was all in the kitchen having breakfast.
 
“Morning,” Kagome said to Mama, Souta and Grandpa as she entered the kitchen.
 
“How are you this morning, dear?” Mama asked her daughter. InuYasha had headed upstairs to Kagome's old bedroom to leave the change of clothes they brought for when they came back. Chances were they would be cold and damp when they returned from the past.
 
“We're fine. We just want to go back and check on the others. It was so cold last time that I've been kind of worried about them, even though I know InuYasha made certain they had enough food and wood to last them for a while,” Kagome responded through a yawn as she joined them at the table.
 
“Who has the pups?” Mama asked, knowing they wouldn't leave them in just anyone's care.
 
“Kichou volunteered for Sesshomaru and herself to take care of them for the day. She's pregnant again for the first time in five hundred years, and thought it would be good practice,” Kagome replied.
 
“Are you ready? We don't want to wait until visitors start showing up to go through the well,” InuYasha asked his mate as he came into the kitchen.
 
“He's right,” Kagome said as she stood. “We had better get going. We'll be back tonight, though we'll try to wait only late enough to make sure the shrine has cleared out.”
 
“Be careful Sis,” Souta said as they headed out the door. “InuYasha, don't let anything happen to her.”
 
“Don't worry, I won't. We'll see you tonight,” InuYasha said as he ushered his mate out of the kitchen. Once she had her warm boots on her feet, they headed across the grounds to the well house.
 
 
Since they did not have the pups with them, InuYasha was able to put Kagome on his back and carry her like he used to up to the hut. At least this time it was only cold. The sun was out and the ground was dry. However, it was still much colder than it usually was in the winter in this region. Kagome was glad she had her gloves and a scarf, but buried her face into InuYasha's mane as he ran along the path towards the village.
 
As before, he ran right by Kaede's hut to the one just up the path from it. He set Kagome gently to her feet before he pounded on the doorframe to announce their arrival. “It's us, let us in!”
 
This time it was Miroku who pulled back the coverings from the door. “I'm glad to see you've come back. You didn't bring the pups this time?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “It was so cold and nasty last time that we left them at home. I was worried about all of you since the winter is so much worse than usual, and wanted to make sure everyone is all right.”
 
“Keh, where are Sango and old Kaede?” InuYasha asked. Miroku appeared to be there alone with Shinkei.
 
“One of the women of the village appeared to be having a difficult birth. Kaede went to assist the midwife, and Sango went to see if there is anything she could do,” Miroku replied.
 
Kagome didn't have to say anything. InuYasha asked her, “Do you want to see if there is anything you can do to help?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Where are they?”
 
Miroku started to open his mouth to tell them, but InuYasha cut him off. “I think I know - I can hear her screams from here. We'd better hurry.”
 
InuYasha hoisted Kagome back onto his back. Miroku pulled the doorway clear and InuYasha took off towards the hut the cries were coming from.
 
InuYasha stopped at the door of the hut. “You go on in and see what you can do. I'll go back and keep the monk company until you're done.”
 
InuYasha waited until Kagome had gone in to make sure she didn't need anything, and then headed back to Miroku's hut.
 
 
The woman was obviously in distress. Kaede and the midwife were trying to help her deliver, and Sango was helping to hold her. They all started when they heard, “Is there anything I can do to help?”
 
Sango looked up first to see who the new arrival was. “Kagome! I don't know. Kaede?”
 
Kaede didn't want to sound negative, but things were not going well. “I do not know, Kagome. Come here child, and see what you think.”
 
When Kagome dropped to her knees next to the young woman's side, she looked at Kaede and could tell from the look on her face things were not good at all. “What is it?”
 
“The baby is breech, and we are afraid the cord may be wrapped around its neck as well. If she does manage to pass it, the baby will probably be strangled on the way out. At this point, we are trying to save the mother,” Kaede replied very softly. She didn't think there was much hope for the child.
 
Kagome took a deep breath and exposed the woman's belly. She placed her hands on her and started to concentrate, trying to determine what was wrong.
 
Kagome gasped at the image she received, the baby wasn't breach, it was worse. It was lying across the birth canal rather than lined up with it. The baby couldn't go anywhere until its position had changed.
 
“We need to get her up,” Kagome said quietly.
 
“What?” The midwife asked incredulously.
 
“The baby is lying across the wrong way. We need to get her to stand up so that I can try to help the baby to reposition, but I don't think I can do it if she is laying down this way. I need some help from gravity to line the baby up vertically,” Kagome said. She didn't know if they understood a word she said, she just knew it was what needed to be done. C-sections weren't an option in this era.
 
The midwife was shaking her head - she had never heard of such a crazy thing. Kaede and Sango, however, were up and starting to help the crying woman to her feet.
 
“What's her name?” Kagome asked softly.
 
“Sachi,” Sango answered.
 
“Sachi, this may feel uncomfortable, but it has to be done so you can have your baby, all right?” Kagome asked gently as she placed her hands on the girl's belly again.
 
“Sango and Kaede, don't let go of her,” Kagome added.
 
Kagome concentrated on the baby and the direction it needed to go. Feeling the belly, she could tell where the head lay by the hard roundness pressed against the abdominal wall. Sachi's belly glowed pink with Kagome's power as she coaxed the child to move into the direction it was meant to go. Slowly but surely, Kagome finally had the child's head pointed towards the birth canal.
 
“All right, it's going in the right direction now; it should be safe for her to start pushing with her contractions. It might be easier on her if she squats rather than lies down so that gravity can continue to help her,” Kagome said, moving out of the way.
 
Now that the baby was lined up in the right direction, it started to move with the next contraction. The midwife still thought Kagome was nuts, but Sachi gave birth upright, squatting as Kagome knew was used in some regions. The midwife caught the child and took it to clean her up after Kaede severed the umbilical cord. Sango and Kagome helped Sachi lie back down so Kaede could check her over and make sure that everything was all right.
 
Kagome looked at the woman in front of her, who couldn't be more than fourteen, and told Kaede and the midwife, “You make sure her husband understands that she had a traumatic birth and is not to have sex of any kind for at least two moons unless he wants to take the risk of being left alone with an infant. All right?”
 
Kaede and the midwife looked at each other - how did Kagome know that Sachi's husband had been going on that he wished she would hurry up and have the kid so he could get her back in the sack? They nodded in acknowledgement.
 
 
Back in the hut, InuYasha was having something of a discussion with Miroku.
 
“So monk, have you been taking care of your mate and pup properly?”
 
Miroku had Shinkei, who had grown a lot since they last saw him, bouncing the baby on his knee in front of him while making funny sounds. “Yes, InuYasha. I heeded your warnings. I've been taking good care of them and have not ever again looked at another woman. What about you?”
 
“Keh. You know damned well that I never looked at another woman, monk,” InuYasha responded.
 
Miroku just chuckled at that answer. He should have known.
 
“InuYasha, how did you build this hut so that it stays so warm?” Miroku asked, changing the subject before he got himself in trouble.
 
“The walls have two layers. Instead of having just one wall of planks like most huts do, I set the corner posts and then planked them on both the inside and outside. That left about this much space (InuYasha indicated about eight inches with his hands), which I filled with clean dirt. Then I went back and sealed the cracks with mud from the river. It seems to work pretty good,” InuYasha answered.
 
“It works very well. Plus, with the fire pit in each room, it is easy to keep warm even in the extremely cold temperatures we have been seeing,” Miroku responded.
 
“It should help keep you cooler in the summer, too. At least that was what I hoped. I tried to put the windows so that when you uncover them, you should get a decent cross draft,” InuYasha answered and then asked, “How is the supply of meat and wood holding up?”
 
“It's been so cold that the meat has lasted well. We have been able to kill some other game during the winter since we're trying to save the stored meat until we don't have anything or it starts to warm up and we need to eat it. The supply of roots and such that we have is also in good shape. Thanks to your last visit, we are doing much better than we expected,” Miroku said with gratitude.
 
“I want to take a run through the forest and make certain nothing is hanging around out there that shouldn't be. If the girls come back, tell them I'll be back in a little while,” InuYasha said before he got up and headed out the door.
 
InuYasha took off at a run through his forest. As before, he found only a few harmless demons that had holed up for the winter, probably close to the village so they could scavenge from anything that was thrown out. He also checked and saw that the woodpile was indeed in good shape. It looked like the villagers had taken the opportunity when the weather was clear to add more to the stack in case they had more rain or snow. InuYasha would take Miroku's word that the meat supply was adequate. The ward was still on the meat hut and he didn't need to drag the monk out just to check it for himself.
 
When he got back, he discovered that Kagome and Sango had returned to the hut, and Sango was now holding her son.
 
“Were you able to do anything to help?” InuYasha asked Kagome quietly.
 
Kagome just nodded, so Sango replied, “She was amazing. We thought we were going to lose the baby and probably the mother too, but Kagome saved them both.”
 
“What happened?” Miroku asked.
 
“The baby wasn't turned right and couldn't come out. The midwife thought Kagome was crazy, but Kagome had the mother stand so she could help the baby to line up in the right direction. Then Kagome told us the mother needed to squat and have her baby upright. It worked, Sachi had her and they both are fine,” Sango said.
 
“Where's old Kaede?” InuYasha asked as he pulled Kagome against his chest and wrapped his arms around her.
 
“She and the midwife are still with the mother and baby. Apparently the husband isn't too happy because Kagome told them no sex for at least two moons. He's been whining to everyone all over the village that he couldn't wait for her to pop the kid out so he could go at her again,” Sango said.
 
Miroku and Sango both looked at InuYasha in astonishment when they realized he was growling, rather loudly. Finally he verbalized what he was thinking, “Doesn't he realize she just carried his child for nine months and how hard that was on her? Doesn't he know that he could hurt her if he starts up with her too soon? Just give me the word and I'll make sure he understands. I can make it permanent if he won't listen.”
 
Kaede came in just in time to hear InuYasha. “That will not be necessary, InuYasha, but what was that you were just saying?”
 
Kagome thought she knew which part Kaede was asking about. “They have discovered in my time that a woman shouldn't have sex for at least six weeks, and often two months, after giving birth. Everything is still wide open and the uterus has not healed yet. Women have even died from the infections they contracted from trying to resume sexual activity too soon.”
 
Kaede nodded in understanding. That could explain a lot of problems they've had with new mothers over the years.
 
“Thank you again for your help today, Kagome. Once again you arrived at just the right time. Now, please tell us what you and InuYasha have been up to,” Kaede asked.
 
They spent the rest of the afternoon around the fire pit visiting with each other. Kagome went with Kaede in the middle of the afternoon to check up on the new mother and infant, but then they returned to resume their discussion. It was just about dark when the group finally started running out of things to talk about, and Kagome told them it was time for her and InuYasha to return home. Hugging each other and saying goodbye, Kagome promised they would return to visit with them again.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
InuYasha officially started to work at Sesshomaru's company after the New Year's holidays were over. Sesshomaru had promised both Kagome and InuYasha, at least for now, that InuYasha would only be putting in a normal working day most of the time. Of course there would be some exceptions, but most of the time he would be home in time for dinner with his mate. Since InuYasha seemed to have such a good understanding of building security as well as the type of people needed to run it, Sesshomaru had started him in that division first. He would remain there for several months until he knew and understood every important phase of it before moving over to the next division.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
It was shortly after the New Year when their anniversary rolled around. Sesshomaru had warned InuYasha that wedding anniversaries were important to human women, and he wouldn't want to ignore it or forget it.
 
InuYasha pondered what to do. He had found out the traditional first anniversary gift was one of paper. He finally decided upon hiring a Master Calligrapher. InuYasha paid to have the calligrapher design a hanging with their names on it in Japanese Calligraphy along with the date of their wedding. InuYasha asked that his name be printed in red and Kagome's in black with the wedding date in silver. He also asked the calligrapher to add in small red print the crescent moon and Kanji for `salvation' and `love' in the upper right hand corner of the hanging which would be near Kagome's name, and then in black the Kanji for `friend,' `lover,' and `mine' in the bottom left hand corner which would be near his name. The calligrapher was somewhat confused, but did as asked. The print was absolutely beautiful when completed. InuYasha paid him well and asked to have it matted and framed. InuYasha presented it to Kagome at breakfast on the morning of their first anniversary, along with a platinum and diamond eternity band. Kagome threw her arms around InuYasha and cried. She didn't know what to say.
 
“What's the matter, Kagome?” InuYasha asked. He was worried she didn't like his gifts.
 
“I can't believe you remembered,” Kagome said through her tears. “I didn't think you would since our anniversary of when we mated passed by and you didn't even say anything.”
 
“I'm sorry, Kagome. Truthfully, demons aren't as big on anniversaries as humans are, plus the calendar back then was a bit iffy, anyway. On top of that, would we have been celebrating being mated one year, or five hundred? It was just too confusing to think about.”
 
That made Kagome stop crying and choke back a giggle instead. InuYasha gently wiped her tears away. “This date we know. It was the day of our wedding, and we know it was exactly one year ago. I hope you don't mind that I combined our mating marks with our names and wedding date. The ring is an eternity band, because that is how long we will be together. I love you Kagome. I always will.”
 
Kagome tilted her head, inviting her husband to kiss her. InuYasha complied, and then pulled her close to him.
 
“InuYasha, I'm sorry, but I didn't think you would remember. I didn't want to make a big deal, so I don't have anything for you except the top tier of our wedding cake,” Kagome said quietly.
 
“It's all right, Kagome. I have you and you have already given me two beautiful pups. But what are we supposed to do with a year old wedding cake?” InuYasha asked hesitantly.
 
“It's been frozen. We'll thaw it out and eat it tonight,” Kagome said with a smile. “It's to remind us of our first piece we ate together after our wedding.”
 
“That doesn't mean I need to stock up on sake and invite some of your friends or relatives over to get drunk, does it? That would remind me of our reception as much as anything,” InuYasha said, trying not to laugh.
 
Kagome almost got mad at him, and then realized his body was shaking as InuYasha was trying not to laugh out loud at his own joke. So instead she said as seriously as she could, “Well, if you wanted to. I guess we could invite Jii-chan over. He was pretty inebriated at the reception - he does like sake. Ayume and Niro would probably be willing to come and help.”
 
InuYasha pulled Kagome tighter to him. “Okay, I'm busted. I'll eat the cake with you if that's what we're supposed to do.”
 
Kagome reached up and wrapped her hands behind her mate's neck, drawing his face down to hers for another kiss. “Thank you, InuYasha. I love you, too.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kichou's belly was growing rounder every day. This time she was able to make use of all of the modern conveniences of science that Kagome had. Even Sesshomaru was a little excited when they went for the sonogram to determine how many pups Kichou could expect.
 
“How many do you think there will be?” Kichou asked as they waited for the doctor to come in.
 
Sesshomaru almost chuckled. “I have no idea. Four was certainly a handful before, but we could do it again if we had to, but two or three would be a good number. Wet nurses are harder to come by than they used to be. If you have too many, they may have to get used to a bottle.”
 
“Well, why don't we find out?” the doctor said as she came in. Kichou had liked Dr. Tanaka so much that she had decided to use her as well.
 
The bed was partially raised so that Kichou could sit up just enough to see the monitor. She was excited as the doctor put the jelly on her swollen abdomen and then warmed up the probe before starting the search for pups.
 
Kichou and Sesshomaru's eyes both followed the path of the probe as it traced across Kichou's belly until the doctor said, “See this spot here, and this one here? These are your pups. It looks like you will have two this time. You said you had four before?”
 
They both nodded, but then Kichou responded, “But that was five hundred years ago. This is the first time we've tried again.”
 
“Why so long?” Dr. Tanaka asked.
 
Kichou reached up and took Sesshomaru's hand and squeezed it as she said, “My mate is a poison youkai. One of the pups from the first whelping was a poison youkai as well. We were afraid to try again before now.”
 
Dr. Tanaka nodded. “Is that your daughter that has developed the antidote they are testing now?”
 
“Yes, it is,” Kichou responded.
 
“But what if it isn't ready in time?” the doctor asked seriously.
 
“Do not worry; we have a back-up plan. We cannot really say much more than that right now,” Kichou answered.
 
Dr. Tanaka nodded. As a youkai, she knew about demons and their secrets. She knew they would reveal their plans when she needed to know.
 
“Well, hopefully everything will go well. Things have changed a lot since your last set of pups,” the doctor responded. “In the meantime, we'll schedule you to come in regularly for check-ups. We can do another sonogram in a couple of weeks to see if we can determine the gender. I hope you aren't disappointed that you are only having two this time.”
 
Actually, both Kichou and Sesshomaru were somewhat relieved. After helping Kagome and InuYasha with their pups, they knew that two would be plenty.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Sesshomaru and Kichou were getting to be regular fixtures every waning quarter moon and new moon. It turned out not only were the pups not happy when they turned human, they weren't happy when InuYasha turned mortal for the evening, either.
 
InuYasha suddenly understood how helpless Kagome felt on those afternoons before the pups turned human when suddenly he was the one that could not comfort them. The only good thing was they did not start crying during the day before the new moon like they did before the night of the waning quarter moon. They didn't get upset until InuYasha's powers were totally gone and he was human for the night.
 
Another good thing was that the nanny, Miwaku, was able to help comfort the pups the afternoon before they turned mortal. They knew her scent and felt her strength as a full demon. Miwaku had been able to determine what the problem was the first time it happened when she was on duty. InuYasha was trying to get her to go home early that evening, but the kitsune told him she had already figured out the problem, and would not tell anyone when their mortal time was - not even her mate. However, once Kichou and Sesshomaru arrived at the door, Miwaku knew it was time to go home.
 
Mai and Miwaku were both starting to get used to getting off a little early when Sesshomaru and Kichou showed up. To try and keep it from being so obvious they were coming with the phases of the moon, they would show up unexpectedly at least a couple of other times during the month just to visit. Once they made their appearance, Mai and Miwaku had learned not to argue and to pack up and head home.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kichou had gone back in for another ultrasound and found out that both of the pups were going to be girls. She knew she heard her mate utter something about being surrounded by bitches, but just smiled to herself. Kichou knew Sesshomaru loved and doted on his daughters and was not disappointed when the doctor announced that both were probably girls. Plus, Sesshomaru would not have to worry about any future power struggles if he didn't have another male heir. The Demon Lord was content having one very good and strong son.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
InuYasha and Kagome had another whole new round of upset pups when they started teething. Aimiko started first when two incisors started to break through her lower gums. They had a hard time finding something that the hanyou could not just bite through, even without hardly any teeth. InuYasha solved the problem, though Kagome couldn't decide whether to be impressed or appalled. InuYasha came home one day with an assortment of rawhide bones and something called a Nylabone for the pups to chew on. They had been installing security cameras for a pet store when InuYasha discovered them. When he told the clerk they were for his pups, she assumed he had the four-legged, furry, tail-wagging kind.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
The days and weeks were a blur as one ran into the next. InuYasha and Kagome had their routine down every morning to take care of the pups and get InuYasha off to work. Kagome was watching the pups in their playpen as InuYasha downed a cup of coffee to wake up. He had helped her get them changed and fed, and then headed straight for the coffee pot. While InuYasha worked on his second cup, Kagome was reflecting on her family.
 
Kagome had been astonished to learn that the pups were conversing somewhat with each other and InuYasha in the Inu language before they started trying to imitate human words. Kagome tried to learn some of the growling sounds, but her vocal cords just couldn't utter them quite right. She didn't know what she actually said because InuYasha would not tell her. All she knew was that it made both of the pups cry, and InuYasha had to comfort them. He told her that it wasn't her fault since her voice wasn't trained to make such sounds, and that she probably shouldn't try it on the pups again until they had practiced together some more. In the meantime, Kagome was comforted by the fact that Aki and Aimiko now recognized their name when she was talking to them.
 
The pups were also becoming pretty mobile. They had learned to sit up and hold their heads up by the time they were five months old. While that was early for human infants, apparently it was fairly normal for hanyou pups. It was not much longer before they had learned to propel themselves forward with their hands and knees and were crawling. Aki and Aimiko also entertained each other by playing with their own hands and feet, or each other's. At the rate the were going, Kagome knew it probably would not be long before they started pulling themselves to their feet and then started trying to walk. Kagome was already working on proofing all of the electrical outlets and cabinets in the penthouse for when that day came.
 
InuYasha was also doing really well at the security company. Word had spread of his troubleshooting abilities as well as his knowledge of camera placement and the types of men needed for specific kinds of jobs. The company could hardly keep up with the new clients that were coming to them. Sesshomaru had already asked InuYasha if he would mind staying in that division for a while longer while they tried to service all of their customers. For not only did they have new ones coming in, it was important to keep their current clients happy as well. InuYasha was in no rush and was continuing to learn on the job, so they decided he would stay there for six months to a year, depending on the need.
 
InuYasha had also earned the respect of the men he worked with. Those that had not met him before were at first concerned about reporting to the owner's younger brother that they knew nothing about, but it only took a couple of jobs for them to see that InuYasha was observant and smart, and knew what he was doing. They were also surprised at how shy and quiet he could be. Some were also worried that with his looks, he would be a playboy. Instead, they found someone who was polite but firm when some of their female clients hit on him, twisting his wedding band the entire time to make a point that he was married and not interested. InuYasha earned the respect of his men fairly quickly because of his honesty, integrity, fidelity, and intuition regarding any security issues. It also didn't hurt that someone had found out and then let all of the others know that InuYasha was the reason they caught the supervisor, guard and their crew of the building that had all of the problems, and that they were now all sitting in jail.
 
Kagome didn't know why, but she also thought back to that day when she told Kichou they needed to talk. When the Inu-youkai did not want to go with her, Kagome reached out with her miko aura and basically put a leash on her and made her come along. At the time she was not sure she was really doing the right thing when she allowed Kichou to see as much as she did, but in the long run, it had paid off and turned out to benefit Kichou and Sesshomaru.
 
Kagome was also proud of the relationship that InuYasha was building with his brother. If anyone had told her two years ago that they would become so close, she would have thought they had been dropped on their head. Sesshomaru had continued acting as a big brother to his younger sibling, but also continued to seek InuYasha's advice in other matters. The two brothers were developing a close relationship based on mutual respect and trust. Kagome actually felt sorry for anyone who would dare threaten either of them now. For as some youkai had found out the hard way, InuYasha, though hanyou, was as powerful as his full youkai brother. The two balanced each other and worked well together.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
It was the last Sunday in May and Kagome and InuYasha had no particular plans for the day. The pups were now starting to eat some cereals in addition to breast feeding. This morning they had been particularly messy and Kagome and InuYasha decided it was just easier to give them a bath when they were through. The two infants already had a nice head of hair, and right now it was full of cereal. The couple had just finished bathing, drying, and dressing the two pups to put them down for a nap when the phone rang.
 
InuYasha carried Aki with him to answer the phone. When he came back he said, “It's time. We need to meet them at the hospital.”
 
Kagome nodded and put Aimiko back in her crib for the moment. She ran and changed into some clean and dry clothes before they went to the hospital for her to attend Kichou's delivery. InuYasha called their driver to alert him and then realized he was rather wet, too, and set Aki in his crib long enough to quickly change as well.
 
 
They arrived at the hospital and were met at the door by Sesshomaru. He didn't say a word but took Aimiko in her carrier from Kagome and led them through the halls to the delivery room. He pointed at the door, indicating for Kagome to go in, and then went down to the familiar waiting area with InuYasha.
 
“InuYasha, thank you for coming. I'm sorry the timing wasn't better and you had to bring the pups with you,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Keh, it's all right and couldn't be helped. We called Mama on the way over, and she said she could come and pick them up and take them back home if we want. She wasn't crazy about them being here in the hospital. I think she and Souta are on the way here,” InuYasha told his brother.
 
 
Kagome walked into the room that was identical to the one she had given birth in. Kichou was on the bed and the doctor had the fetal monitor across her belly.
 
“Everything looks good. You are almost completely dilated and should be ready soon. Kagome, it's nice to see you again,” Dr. Tanaka said.
 
Kagome answered as she took Kichou's hand, “It's nice to see you as well, Dr. Tanaka. Kichou, Sesshomaru is in the waiting area with InuYasha. He has one of the pups. Mama is coming to pick them up so they won't have to stay here too long.”
 
Kichou grimaced with a contraction before she answered, “You mean he won't be able to use that as an excuse to stay out of here? He's been trying to convince me that he doesn't need to be here.”
 
“Hopefully it won't be as stressful as last time,” Kagome responded.
 
“What happened last time? You never really did tell me other than there was a poison youkai,” the doctor asked.
 
Kichou gritted her teeth and groaned. “The poison youkai scratched me on the way out.”
 
“What? But how…how did you survive? That should have been fatal in those days. Even now it often is,” Dr. Tanaka asked.
 
“Do you remember I told you we had a back-up plan?” Kichou asked the doctor.
 
Dr. Tanaka nodded in response.
 
“Well, she's it.” Kichou indicated Kagome and squeezed her hand. “She was there and saved me last time.”
 
“But…but how? That was five hundred years ago. And how could you be there and here too?” the doctor couldn't believe what she was hearing. It shouldn't be possible. Kagome was human, wasn't she?
 
“You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you,” Kagome replied softly.
 
“But still…how did you save Kichou from being poisoned?” Dr. Tanaka asked with great interest.
 
“She's a miko, doctor. A very powerful one,” Kichou said softly. “When I was poisoned, she was actually able to force the poison from my body and saved me and my fourth pup. That's not all she's done. I know you know my mate used to be missing his left arm.”
 
The doctor nodded. Everyone knew the Demon Lord.
 
“Kagome is the reason Sesshomaru has his other arm again, and that was just a side-effect of him being near her when she was healing herself,” Kichou added.
 
Dr. Tanaka just looked at Kagome in wonder. She had heard of a powerful miko centuries ago, but no one had ever known where she had disappeared to. She finally asked, “If Kagome could help you, why did you wait so long to have more pups?”
 
“She went home, back to the future. We had to wait five hundred years to see her again,” Kichou said quietly.
 
Dr. Tanaka just slumped on her stool, stunned. It was too impossible to believe, but too crazy to be made up.
 
They were startled out of their thoughts by a particularly loud growl from Kichou with her next contraction. “Someone better tell my mate to get his ass in here.”
 
The nurses who were assisting with the delivery had just come back in, and one of them went to the waiting area to let Sesshomaru know he was wanted by his mate. He came in and kissed Kichou on the brow, and then picked up a cloth and started to wipe the sweat from her face and neck. Kichou reached up and grabbed a hand and held it in her iron grip. She was making sure Sesshomaru didn't escape.
 
Sesshomaru said, “Don't worry, I won't leave. Kagome, your mother came and picked up the pups. She and your brother are taking them back to the penthouse. She says don't worry, they will be fine until you come home.”
 
“All right, I think we're ready. Kichou, on the next contraction I want you to push,” Dr. Tanaka told her patient.
 
Kichou clenched her teeth and let out a cry as the first one started to move. Both of her legs were being supported by the nurses. Kagome had moved to her head to wipe the sweat from her face and neck and Sesshomaru was by her side so she could hold on to him. Kichou had such a grip they were afraid she might snap Kagome's arm if she held onto her.
 
Kichou gave a loud cry as her first pup passed through. The doctor immediately took care of the cord as she said, “You have a girl. I don't think she is a poison youkai.” A third nurse cleaned her up before bringing her and presenting her first to her father.
 
Sesshomaru took his new daughter in his arms. “She's beautiful, Kichou,” he said as handed her to her mother. The tiny Inu-youkai had white hair with a black stripe that went from her forehead above her right eye back. When she opened her eyes, they were golden like her father's. She had the crescent moon on her left breast.
 
“I think it is time for the next one,” Dr. Tanaka said as the contractions started again. The nurse that had cleaned the child up took her from her mother and put her in her warmed bassinet until the second was delivered.
 
The second pup was delivered, cleaned and presented to her father. Another girl, this one was the reverse of the first. She had black hair with a white streak that ran from above her left eye back, and eyes that were almost black. She also had the crescent moon on her left breast. Like her sister, she was not a poison youkai.
 
“Lady Kichou and Lord Sesshomaru, you have two beautiful pups. Kagome, I'm glad you were here, but I'm glad you weren't needed this time,” the doctor said softly.
 
Kagome reached over to stroke the head of the pup Sesshomaru was now holding. “Believe me, so am I.”
 
 
The doctor and nurses had cleared out of the room, and InuYasha had been allowed to come in.
 
“By the way, where are your other pups?” InuYasha asked. He thought they would be here for this.
 
“They are scattered all over the globe right now. We've contacted them all and they are on their way home,” Sesshomaru responded. “They should all be back in Tokyo by sometime tomorrow.”
 
Kichou was currently nursing the white-haired pup while Sesshomaru was holding the other. Both pups' skin was turning to a healthy pink now from the reddish color from when they were whelped.
 
“Wow, look at that,” Kagome said as she looked at the pup Sesshomaru was holding.
 
“What is it?” Kichou and Sesshomaru asked.
 
“Let me see the one you are holding, Kichou,” Kagome asked.
 
“Look at their marks, on both pups. These two really have combined the traits of both houses,” Kagome said softly.
 
Both pups had the purplish tear-drop cross that was Kichou's mark set inside the blue crescent moon.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Sesshomaru and Kichou's pups were now two months old. Sesshomaru and InuYasha had agreed to give their mates a day off and keep the pups. Sesshomaru and Kichou had come over to the penthouse and brought Koimiko and Yukiko with them. Sesshomaru decided it would be easier to bring the smaller infants over to his brother's rather than have InuYasha bring his ever-growing pups to his home, which had not been child-proofed yet.
 
The ten month old twins were starting to stand with the aid of a low table or chair, and were pretty fast on all fours. They couldn't be kept in an ordinary play pen because they had learned to use their claws and rip right through them. Once again, InuYasha found a solution Kagome wasn't sure whether to be impressed or embarrassed about - but it did work. He had once again been to the pet store, this time coming home with something called an `exercise pen,' which was normally used to keep puppies or dogs contained to an area. The pen had eight panels and was made of stainless steel heavy gauge wire. This particular one was thirty inches tall. InuYasha actually had two of them hooked together to make an eight-by-eight foot square. After throwing some old quilts and blankets on the floor and then placing the pen on top, the pups had a secure and safe play area, at least for now. InuYasha said the stainless steel panels should be strong enough to keep them contained for a while.
 
For now, Koimiko and Yukiko were asleep in the basinets that Aki and Aimiko had just about outgrown. Aki and Aimiko had worn themselves out and Sesshomaru and InuYasha had put them to bed in their cribs for a nap. InuYasha was looking at his son and daughter as they snuggled under their blanket, deep in thought as he thought about how much things had changed the last two years. InuYasha's ears started to flatten to his head as he thought about that last battle with Naraku, how he almost drove Kagome away afterwards, and the sudden turn of events set in motion by the blood and tears caused by someone they thought an ally.
 
Sesshomaru could tell that InuYasha had something on his mind, but waited patiently for him to speak.
 
“Sesshomaru?”
 
“Yes, Little Brother?”
 
“What do you think our father would have thought of me?”
 
“He would have thought you were a good and honorable son.”
 
“Do you know I thought for most of my life he didn't want me? I was told he left my mother because she became pregnant. It was not until you told me about male youkai controlling their seed that I realized they must have wanted me.”
 
“Father wanted you and your mother more than his own life. That was why he went to her the night you were born, even though he had been mortally wounded,” Sesshomaru answered quietly.
 
“I don't know anything about him. I never even knew what he looked like before we threw Sounga into Hell. I did not know what he looked like in his true form until you gave me the haori for my wedding. I still don't know anything about him. Sesshomaru, I know you were everything he could have ever wanted in a son,” InuYasha barely whispered.
 
“I did not become the son he wanted me to be until I learned from you, Little Brother.”
 
“Would he have been proud of me? Proud of what I've done, who I am?”
 
“Yes, InuYasha, he would.”
 
“Sesshomaru, would you…would you tell me about our father? Tell me what he was like?”
 
Sesshomaru looked at the hanyou pups before him and turned to look at his own pups sleeping peacefully before he replied, “Yes, InuYasha. I will tell you about Father, and just how much like him you are.”
 
 
Finis
 
 
 
^~^
 
AN: As they say, all good things must come to an end. I am glad that so many of you have enjoyed Blood & Tears. I appreciate every review and email, and also wish to thank again those who thought enough of this fanfic to nominate, second, or third it for the Fourth Quarter 2005 IYFG awards.I also wish to thank those that nominated or voted on it for Best InuYasha/Kagome Romance category at the Feudal Association during January 2007.This story has done far better than I ever dreamed. Thank you again to all who have read it, enjoyed it, or recommended it to a friend.
 
"Blood & Tears" placed second in the InuYasha Fanfiction Guild voting in the category for Best Drama, Fourth Quarter 2005.It placed first in the Best InuYasha/Kagome Romance category at the Feudal Association in January 2007.
  
I also wish to say thank you again to all of you who took the time to leave a review. I have read each and every one of them and they encouraged me to continue writing.