InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bound For Tomorrow: Sesshomaru and Rin ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

He will refrain from injuring this monk, especially in front of Rin, who, he notes, has stiffened slightly at the obvious suggestion in the monk's tone. He isn't sure if she has stiffened because she does not relish the idea of mating with him in the physical sense, or if it is because she is unsure of his feelings regarding the matter, but it is fairly obvious that she is uncomfortable with speaking of it publicly.
“And why is that?”
He has forced the question out, and truly, he would like the answer, as he would have thought a monk would be the last person to encourage pre-marital mating practices among humans.
“It is my understanding that youkai mating is by far the more…binding ritual, and it is not unheard of for youkai to `marry' human women only to get them into the futon, and then dismiss them, claiming that the marriage means nothing, and because they are not marked, there are no binding ties.”
As if this monk has any right to speak on such a matter…
He grudgingly gives him credit though, the monk has realized by now that inuyoukai do not always mate for life. They can `mate' without being `mated,' that is to say that the female is not always `marked' by the male. It was the situation with Inuyasha's mother, and even his own, and his Chichi-ue.
His father was a great leader, a brilliant general, but a philanderer and a bit of a lecher in his personal life. He refused to mark either of his females and Sesshomaru would not be surprised if there had been more than two. Perhaps someday he will find another sibling somewhere along his path. That the possibility is there, he's sure of.
He is effectively trapped. He could choose to be offended, and kill the monk outright, however, that would not serve his purposes, and there would be no other to perform the ceremony. He could choose to argue with the monk but it is beneath him and he knows he won't. He needs this monk and the damned houshi knows it. There is more than just a hint of annoyance in his stance now and Rin's breath has caught in her throat at the not-so-subtle insult the monk has thrown his way.
He will prove himself the better in this situation.
“Agreed, then. When next we come to you, three days from now, Rin will be marked, and you will perform the ceremony, with no further delays.”
He is almost ready to give up on his annoyance, but then the monk nods and…winks at him, before he walks away. He forces himself to breathe through only his nose as a way to stave off the impending growl.
Rin has no doubt noticed his anger and frustration and now that the monk is gone, he must be certain she knows it will not be directed at her. He feels her small hand on his forearm, breaking him from his stance, as she puts gentle pressure on it, asking wordlessly for him to look at her.
He turns slowly to her and she is looking up at him, obviously searching for the invisible clues that she uses to read him so well.
“It's alright, Sesshomaru-sa-, Sesshomaru.”
Her voice is so sweet, and she seems so certain of him, that, even if the monk's doubt had been genuine, he knows it has not poisoned her against him in the least.
“There will be no dishonor in it.” He means to reassure her, to let her know that his ceremony is just as official as the `human' one. To a youkai it is all that is needed to bind them and make her position in his life irrefutable.
She laughs and raises a brow to him; playful and soothing. She is so free in ways he can never be…
“Sesshomaru,” he enjoys that his name is coming to her more naturally already,
“I don't give a DAMN about what anyone else has to say. I only care what you think of me, not these other…humans.”
He can't help but be surprised at her swearing. She seems so grown up in that moment, but just as quickly she reverts back to her childish giddy laughter, before pulling him down to her, in yet another familiar gesture. She wishes to whisper in his ear.
*888 Flashback 888*
The soon to be twelve year old girl sat in his lap, smiling at him. He frowned at her, not understanding why she was so happy. She waved him closer, and he leaned in, surprised that she leaned in even further, decreasing the space between them.
Sesshomaru-sama… Rin has a secret!”
He quirked his brow at her, but allowed her to lean in and place her mouth near his ear, and whisper to him, in her giddy child's voice,
Rin thinks you're handsome and she likes your hair!” She pulled back quickly, blushing, and afraid to look into his eyes, as if she had just told him something very embarrassing.
It was… strange. He'd never thought of his physical appearance as… pleasing… before, least of all to a human.
By youkai standards he wasn't attractive per se, although he was far from hideous, he had many shortcomings in the `looks' department.
He lacked the broad shoulders of his father, favoring his mother's slight build instead. He was on the thin side, lacking the ability to build bulky muscles, no matter how hard he trained. His thin physique made even more noticeable because of his height. His jaw line was not `square' as was the preferred `look' for a male, and his facial structure is…feminine, to say the least.
In fact, to youkai, for whom physical appearance was primarily a way to tell genetic fitness to mate, he was most definitely… lacking.
He wasn't `handsome' no… he was… pretty.
He looked like a female.
He knew it, and there was no sense denying it. He'd been mistaken for a bitch often enough by humans and youkai with weak noses.
He regarded the girl in his lap seriously, thinking over her words. She had called him…handsome. He was fairly certain she was the first to do so. Even the wind whore hadn't complimented his appearance, choosing instead to dwell upon his strength.
He snorted and placed his hand on the top of Rin's head, smoothing down the still somewhat wild dark strands.
Thank you, Rin.”
He accepted the compliment, without offering one of his own in return, but as always, it was enough for the tousle-headed girl that he had not rebuked her.
She looked up shyly and smiled, nestling into him, sighing and falling asleep. He'd soon have to carry her back to the hut and the old miko.
As soon as he thought of that task, he realized as much as he knew he had to…
He didn't want to leave.
*888 End Flashback 888*
He leaned down, and Rin whispered to him,
I'm really glad we won't have to wait…”
How could she say something so provocative and sound so damn innocent at the same time? His eyebrows hit his bangs and his jaw went slightly slack, though he forced his mouth not to open.
She pulled back, in a mirror reaction of her actions four years ago, this time, however, he reacted differently. He pulled her close, and whispered back to her,
“As is this Sesshomaru…” He inwardly winced at his formal language, realizing at once that it was because he was uncomfortable with the subject that he had reverted to using it in the girl's presence, and surely she would pick up on this.
She must have, for she reached for his hand and gave it an affectionate squeeze which he returned, carefully. He is never more acutely aware of his own strength than when he is handling the girl. The thought makes him even more nervous about mating with her, but, he wants to share his first time with her so badly, that even his fears won't hold him back. He will simply have to be…careful… with her.
They have returned to his brother's hut and it is quickly decided that Rin will stay there for the night, looking over the gifts his mother has sent. He will take Ah-Un and mark an area with his scent where the obedient dragon will no doubt stay and await his return.
He is glad to have the night to himself as it would afford him the opportunity to speak to his half-brother, once he returns near sunset.
He seeks to lessen the sting of his perceived hypocrisy by having a… conversation with the hanyou. He may also take the opportunity to seek advice. Yes, for Rin's sake, he will ask his brother to relay to him what he knows of human women and…mating.
There would be far more shame to be had in failing her, whether it be in failing to please her, or the gods forbid, accidentally hurting her, than in asking for counsel. He convinces himself of this, justifying it in his mind, willing himself to accept the idea that it must be done, and dredging up the fortitude to go through with it.
The other question was… where?
He refuses to allow Rin's -and his- `first time' to happen in the woods on cold hard ground with dirt and grass and bugs and animals surrounding them. No. There is a proper way to do things and that is his intent.
There would be candles, blankets, and a comfortable futon. There would be walls around them and privacy screens to shield them. There would be tatami mats and breakfast and a place to bathe properly when all was said and done. It would not do to walk around smelling like the monk, after all.
The shiro, he intended to live in with Rin, was far too far away, so that left him with only one option - the inn at the village. However, he did not want other humans in the rooms next to him, hearing him and his koibito, (yes, the phrase is still pleasing to him), mating, or anyone else at breakfast with him the next morning.
No… He would rent out the entire inn, every last room, for the next five days, allowing two days before the wedding, the day of the wedding, and two days after.
His Rin deserved it.