InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Can't Change the Inevitable ❯ Aftermath ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Can't Change the Inevitable
 
By: Keruseyu
 
Disclaimer: The great story Inuyasha isn't mine, but this idea is!
 
Quick Note: Since the italics and crap won't work for me, this beginning part may be just a bit confusing; Quotes are Inuyasha himself, and everything else is his consciousness, ok? I'm sorry! However, if you're interested, check out FanFiction.net; There are about 14-15 chapters more of this story there; I just decided to post it here on MediaMiner on a whim. It's a lot better to look at and read, too! I will keep adding more chapters here, though it's easier to understand on FanFiction.
 
Aftermath
 
She…she's gone. She really left me…
 
"Well duh, you idiot! It's because of you she left in the first damn place!"
 
What the--who the hell are you?!?
 
"I'm your consciousness, what else dumb ass? Now listen, you need to go to Kagome and apologize to her now. Run, stupid! You've got no time to be talking to me...er, us! Here's what you've gotta do: 1) Apologize for a being a complete and total dick,"
 
Now wait just a--
 
"2) Tell her the truth about your real feelings,"
 
Hey, would you just--
 
"and 3) Beg and plead her to forgive you. It's as simple as that!"
 
Whoa! Wait just a second there, pal! There is absolutely no way I'm begging her to come back! And I'm not so sure I want to admit I'm a “total dick” either!
 
"Well, unless you never want to see her beautiful face again, you'd best be doing as I say! Jeez, I never thought I was so stupid until I actually started talking to myself!"
 
Grr… Fine. But…
 
"Oh… I think I see now."
 
Yeah… she told me to leave her alone. She didn't say it directly, but what she really wanted to say was, “Fuck off and die, Asshole!” It doesn't matter that I…love her…
 
"Yes, it does too matter. You may not believe it now, but she does return your feelings, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want you to, “Fuck off and die.""
 
Alright, but you know, some of the things I said and did were the truth!
 
"Hey, you know that's not true! Think back to everything that happened earlier."
 
Okay, but it won't prove anything, I'm telling you!
 
"Yeah, yeah. Just do as I say."
 
FLASHBACK
 
“Dig in everyone!” Kagome exclaimed excitedly as she put the finishing touches on their picnic lunch.
 
Everyone sat down and began picking out their favorite foods from the divine selection placed before them.
 
“Mmm… delicious, Kagome! This octopus is so tasty!” Shippo exclaimed as he popped another one into his mouth.
 
“Why thank you sweetie!” Kagome said as she cuddled up to the kit, not bothering to correct him in calling a split hotdog an 'octopus.' Today was so beautiful and perfect; she didn't want anything bad to happen!
 
Humph! I wish Kagome would hug me like that… Ahh! Where the hell did that come from?!? Get that train of thought out of your head right now, man! Inuyasha thought as he decided to get under Kagome's skin, yet again. She's actually kind of cute when her face flushes and she gets mad at me… This time, he didn't reprimand himself.
 
Noticing that Sango, Miroku, Kilala, Kaede, and Inuyasha hadn't sat down with her and Shippo, Kagome said absentmindedly, “Come on you guys! Please, sit--”
 
“Argh!” Inuyasha cried out as he was smashed face first, yet again, into the ground. Perfect! Now, I can get her mad! He thought as he jumped up, looking very angry and threatening as he usually was when Kagome sat him, intentionally or not.
 
“--down and…eat with us?” Kagome finished while looking at Inuyasha, worriedly. Oh no! I hadn't meant to do that! And it's been such a long time since I've sat him, he's going to be furious!
 
“Damn it, wench! What the hell is that matter with you, huh?!?” Inuyasha raged, confirming her thoughts.
 
“Inuyasha, please! I'm sorry! It really did slip that time, and I-” She tried placating him but didn't get to finish as she bit her lip, hearing Inuyasha yell at her some more.
 
“No, Kagome! I don't want to hear it! You and your false excuses! HA! You purposely did it, and this time, I'm not going to let it fly!” Wow, I'm starting to believe myself!
 
Kagome, getting rather unhappy herself by this time, got up and said, “Hey! I already said I was sorry! And if that isn't good enough for you, then just so you can be right, I'll say it again, purposely this time!” She really wouldn't, but she was, after all, mad.
 
“Go right ahead!” Inuyasha yelled, getting a little mad for real this time. How dare she even think about doing that? “You'll just be proving my point!” And with that, he sat down and began pigging out on Kagome's cooking, stuffing his face with anything he could get his claws on.
 
Throwing Shippo and everyone else an apologetic glance, Kagome silently got up and walked passed Inuyasha, who let out a huge belch and blew it up into her face, watching the disgust evident in her features, smirking at her.
 
Kagome felt as though she would cry. I'm so tired of this! I didn't mean to sit him, so why can't he just be nice and say he accepts my apology, instead of acting like a big macho man jerk faced idiot?!? I think he actually wants me to blow up! Well Inuyasha, not this time! I won't give you the satisfaction of seeing me upset anymore! From here on out, I swear to never let you get under my skin again! That settled, Kagome walked towards Kaede's hut, but not before she glanced behind her at Miroku, Sango, Kilala, Shippo and Kaede, mouthing a “Sorry guys,” and disappeared inside.
 
Inuyasha, who had witnessed this whole thing, almost felt bad about what a jerk he'd been. Then, he decided to give his manly ego a boost by thinking, Oh well! At lease she's kind of learning her place! Now, I'll bet everything she's going to give me the “silent treatment.” Hehe… well then, let's see how much more she can take!After all, what's the worst that could happen, right?
 
With a devious look in his eye, he jumped up and ran to the hut as well, dipping inside it, and met Kagome who was just sitting on the floor, staring at the wall with an unfocused glaze in her eyes, telling Inuyasha that she was in deep thought.
 
Pretending not to notice, Inuyasha walked over to her and sat down as well. Was it just him, or was Kagome's heartbeat increasing? Oh well… He thought as he began.
 
“So, wench. Couldn't stand to be around me anymore so you left and now are sulking?”
 
She ignored him.
 
“Can't say as I'd blame you though. I didn't really want to be around you either, so I'm glad you left!”
 
Still, he got no response.
 
Damn! She's about as stubborn as me! Inuyasha thought with a look of amusement sweeping over his features.
 
“You know, we really should go and get the rest of the Jewel of Four Souls. We're only a few shards away, my little SHARD DETECTOR!” That got her.
 
Kagome, not even thinking before she spoke, yelled out, “If you can't stand to be around me anymore and are going to be that way, why don't you go to Kikyo?!? I'm sure she'd be happy to take my place!” The moment the words left her mouth, Kagome's hand flew up and smack itself over it. Oh God, oh God, oh God... Was all she could think as she watched Inuyasha's expression change from confusion to surprise to anger.
 
Now, he was full blown pissed. “Don't you bring her into this, Kagome! She's got nothing to do with the current situation! And you know, maybe I should go to Kikyo! At lease she wouldn't complain as much as you do, and I'm sure she'd be a lot more faithful to me than you are too! Any day now, you could go off with Koga or go home and not come back and start fucking that little man whore of yours in your time, whatever the hell his name is, Hobo, Momo, Bobo, I don't care!”
 
Kagome was in shock, and he knew it. Everything he just said was a complete lie, and he knew it. Had she not said that she'd stayed with him by choice, that she would always be by his side, no matter what, even if he did choose to be with Kikyo?
 
Jesus, nice going Jackass! He mentally kicked himself.
 
“Oh yeah? Well… go ahead and go to Kikyo, I don't care! You two can have each other! Hell, you both deserve each other! Besides, you're right! Kikyo can take my place! She can hunt the jewel with you just as easily as I can, so why not?!? Let her be the `shard detector and protector!' and not me! After all, isn't that all I am to you, Inuyasha? A shard detector?” She vehemently asked, silently praying that he would deny it.
 
But of course, he didn't.
 
“Damn straight, bitch! At lease Kikyo could control her temper!”
 
The whole world it seemed had stopped moving at Inuyasha's last comment, like it had been stuttering and had finally stopped. Not even the birds that had been singing to their hearts content were chirping. It was as if thunder had clapped a hand around everything, silencing it. The silence was maddening, enough to drive even the sanest person alive into delirium. But the scariest part about the silence, was that the quietest place in the vicinity was the small hut that contained two very livid people.
 
Suddenly, as if a nuclear warhead had been dropped, the silence exploded, mostly inside the hut, making the world creep into spinning again.
 
“You stupid ASSHOLE! How dare you say something like that to me, of all people?!? Who protected you when the local villagers called you Monster, when I knew perfectly well you were a wonderful, caring man? Who was there to comfort you when you cried on my shoulder, finally letting yourself show your sensitive side, showing that half of you really is human? Who was there to take a blow for you, even when they were risking their own life for someone they cared very deeply for? Goddamn it! Who was there, Inuyasha, who? ME! I was there, and the least you could have possibly done is make me feel wanted! Lord knows I need someone in this time to tell me I'm not coming here for nothing! But if I'm that revolting to you, then go and get Kikyo, for I'll be damned if I stay here and let myself be compared to someone dead!”
 
“Feh! Fine, go ahead and go home! But know this, bitch, that if you go, I'll destroy that stupid fucking well so you can never come back again! Besides, you've got your family to be with, and that faggot Homo, so you won't be that damn miserable!” Even to his own ears, Inuyasha's words sounded harsh, and he greatly wished he could taken them back, but knew he could not.
 
“FINE! Have a nice life with Kikyo!” Kagome screamed, not letting any tears flow down her face, for she remembered the promise she made to herself, as juvenile as it was.
 
Inuyasha, thoroughly fed up with her mouth, marched up to Kagome, eyes flashing red with purple stripes on his face, and before he could even stop himself, raised his arm, about to bring it down onto Kagome's tender cheek. Kagome's eyes got huge, and he saw her clear as day begin to shake in fear, for he had never done anything like this before, much less threaten to hit her, even if he was turning demon. Luckily, he stopped himself, and stepped away, in shame and fear, for now he knew he'd gone too far.
 
She ran to the exit in fright, but before she advanced through it, she turned around and said as calmly as she could without crying, “Inuyasha, just for the record, I'm sorry for everything that I said, and I forgive you for almost hitting me. I just want you to know that I will be back to search for the shards. I promise, that once they're found and the Jewel is complete, I will go home and never come back. That way, you'll never have to compare me to Kikyo again, nor look at me and see her.” With that, she ran out, leaving Inuyasha standing there in surprise.
 
Outside, everyone was holding his or her breath, for they couldn't help but hear everything that was being said inside Kaede's hut. Shippo looked absolutely miserable. Kaede looked grim. Sango and Miroku, with Kilala in between them, were actually holding hands because they knew this wasn't a normal, average, everyday fight for the two quarrelsome lovers.
 
Suddenly, Kagome ran out of the hut and over to the gang, who by this time had picked up the picnic, looking everywhere but at her. Kagome ran to them, giving Shippo a hug and kiss, promising him she'd be back when she could and told him that she loved him very much. She looked at everyone else and said only four words, “I love you all,” before turning and running towards the well.
 
In the distance, she could hear Inuyasha's voice, yelling at her.
 
“Kagome, get your ass back here, now!”
 
END OF FLASHBACK
 
Inuyasha reached Kaede's hut, only to find that no one was around.
 
Where is everyone? He thought, and surprisingly enough, his consciousness didn't answer, and Inuyasha wasn't exactly upset that it hadn't. In fact, he was glad it had left.
 
He made his way inside to find Kaede. “Where'd everyone go, witch?” He grunted, and waited for a reply, but when he looked back at Kaede, he saw that she had turned her head away from him and had her one good eye closed, ignoring him.
 
Oh, great! Now everyone hates me!
 
“Keh, whatever..." Inuyasha mumbled and left. He dashed from treetop to treetop, not even really looking at where he was going, until he finally stopped and looked around.
 
Surprisingly, or not surprisingly, depending on how you looked at it, he found himself at the base of the Sacred God Tree, his second most favorite place in the world.
 
Wait, why only second?
 
"Because your first is in Kagome's arms!" Came the snide remark of Inuyasha's consciousness, the one voice he so desperately tried to ignore.