InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Cereal Box Romance ❯ A Case of Nerves ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any character created by Rumiko Takahashi. 
 Beta-ed by: thyme_cat
A/N: Thanks for all of the reviews!  I know many authors post this, but hearing from you guys really does help to keep me going.  Lack of feedback means lack of interest, so it's rewarding to know that you like this fic and look forward to new chapters.  I'll try to update more often!  To answer someone's question - no, I don't like sweet cereal.  Blech.
A Case of Nerves
 
 
Kagome shifted her weight nervously from one foot to the other, twitched the hem of her dress, tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, ran her palm over her flat stomach, then shifted her weight again, earning her a dour glare from Sango's apprentice, Akago.
 
Most of Akago's expressions ranged from mildly unpleasant to unequivocally hostile, her hard frowns complimenting the jagged scar that ran from her right temple to the left side of her jaw. Dark eyes glittered above a crooked nose and dared the world to step out of line. Akago was the only person who Kagome had been unable to befriend and the only woman with whom Miroku would not flirt, even if he hadn't been married. Perhaps this was the reason that Sango had taken the young woman as her apprentice, perhaps it was the tragedy that had scarred her face and twisted her heart. But unfriendly or not, Akago would make a damn fine demon slayer.
 
Smiling sweetly back, Kagome forced herself to stop fidgeting, even though she wanted to apply another quick coat of lip gloss. If anything, Akago's scowl darkened as she turned her gaze back to the road leading up to the demon slayer's village.
 
“He's late,” Akago's melodic voice was at odds with her harsh tone and cruel eyes.
 
“Kagome, are you sure he said he was coming here today?” Sango asked as she mopped at her brow with a linen kerchief.
 
Shrugging, Kagome gave in to the urge to fix her neckline so that the lacy appliqué was centered between her breasts. Akago shot her a look of disgust, which Kagome ignored. “He said noon today, at the gates.”
 
“Why would a youkai want to hire slayers in the first place? We kill youkai,” Akago griped as she ground the butt of her spear into the earth.
 
“He wasn't exactly forthcoming, you know.” The memory of his imperious words cut through a little of Kagome's nervous excitement. She couldn't explain, even to herself, why she was so wound up or why she had put so much effort into her appearance. She must have changed her outfit three times before being satisfied by how the dress accentuated her bust and waist and showed the tanned lines of her legs. Even her bra and panties matched. She was not dressed up for Sesshomaru; that was certain.
 
“When is he ever?” Sango agreed rhetorically with an exasperated sigh.
 
Kagome nodded and rolled her eyes, reaching for the demon decoder ring on her finger to give a reassuring twist and realizing with an ugly start that it wasn't there.
 
Akago leveled another glare on the teen and barked, “What`s wrong with you?”
 
“What? Nothing!” Kagome denied defensively.
 
“Then why are you so jumpy and dressed like a whore?”
 
“Akago, that wasn't called for,” Sango broke in before Kagome's infamous temper could get her hurt. An excellent demon slayer Akago would someday be, but she was seriously lacking in people skills.
 
Staring open-mouthed at the apprentice, shock widened her dark eyes. Sure, she'd overheard the whispers of villagers, some not so quiet, that she was oddly dressed or a demon-lover, but never had someone, especially an ally, ever called her something so foul to her face. Inuyasha's insults had been rude but never so blatantly malicious.
 
But Akago wasn't finished. “You want to see this demon, then? Have a taste for dogs?”
 
“Akago! That is enough!” Sango snapped with a quick glance at Kagome. If she noticed the furious blush staining her friend's face, then she didn't say anything.
 
For her part, Kagome was sputtering as her fury at the girl's words clashed with images from her own dream of wanting to lick Sesshomaru clean of ice cream. “You…!” words failed her as she ended the curse in guttural noise of frustration. “Like I would ever want to taste that stuck up prick!”
 
`Bad choice of words, Kagome,' she told herself as Sango gave her an odd look. Akago smirked triumphantly.
 
“Well, in case you change your mind, here's your chance,” Akago sneered and Sango smacked the back of her head.
 
“You will be silent until this audience is over!” Sango rarely pulled rank of master when training her apprentice, but now was one of those times. She knew what was probably riling the normally taciturn apprentice, but the girl had to learn that not all youkai were evil. And no one insulted her friends.
 
Sesshomaru smothered a grin as Kagome's declaration of tasting pricks floated to him over the path. Little did the miko know, that was one of the items on his agenda. Just the thought of putting her lips to use made said prick twitch to a more “stuck up” position. Which, in turn, was the purpose of his visit here. The Lord of the West would never need the aid of mere human taijiya. Except, perhaps, to provide him access and opportunity to his soon-to-be latest conquest.
 
In fact, he had set up the little “disturbance” that would soon claim the taijiya's attention, and if all went according to plan, would also delay Inuyasha's arrival.
 
He had seen the hanyou traveling toward this village yesterday and something about the hanyou's determined set of the jaw and purposeful, if slow, stride had raised his hackles. It had seemed that the idiot had come to some kind of decision, and he wasn't leaving it to chance that it did not involve Kagome. And since Inuyasha more closely resembled their father, a promise to one miko would not necessarily exclude trying to get into the pants of the other.
 
He would have preferred to draw out the seduction a little longer, to savor that quiet battle of mind and instinct until her final, most fragile barrier was his to break. However, plans were not successful when dependent on luck and he had no intentions of losing this conquest because of a careless miscalculation. No, he would distract his opponents and move in for the kill.
 
`Impale her on my sword, so to speak.' He smothered another grin and glanced at the flustered woman who was trying to look anywhere but at him yet always seemed to end up staring at his chest. `She wants me,' he decided smugly. `This will be too easy.'
 
Why not simply steal her away and teach her the delights of carnal pleasure in the comfort of his home? Because this was more fun.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru,” Sango cleared her throat before continuing, “you requested our services.”
 
“I have,” he replied in his most infuriatingly unhelpful manner. He had been working on it for centuries.
 
Sango blinked and Akago snorted under her breath. Rolling her eyes, Kagome smoothed her dress down her thighs, earning her a quick, golden glance that only one woman caught, and she wasn't Kagome.
 
“And what would that be?” Sango prompted, fighting to remain polite.
 
Sesshomaru stared at her in silence, wondering how long it would take before the taijiya started fidgeting like her miko friend. However, provoking thiswoman was not his main objective, so he finally answered, “Several tribes of beetle youkai are deforesting the lands that border the West.”
 
He did not mention that he had been the one to stir their nest into action. He also failed to mention that they happened to be positioned directly between the slayer's village and Inuyasha's Forest, ensuring that the hanyou and slayer would be tied up for several days away from the village, leaving the miko unguarded.
 
“May I ask why you did not dispose of them yourself or have one of your vassals do it?”
 
`In order to fuck your miko,' Sesshomaru answered in his head, though out loud, he said, “No.”
 
Akago hissed between her teeth and whispered to Sango, “You aren't going to trust that creature, are you?” Sango held up a quelling hand and Sesshomaru just ignored her.
 
“My fee is the going rate.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded, stealing an almost unnoticeable peek at the miko's cleavage. Almost unnoticeable. Akago's eyes narrowed.
 
“My apprentice and I will leave at daybreak tomorrow.”
 
This wouldn't do. Sesshomaru fixed the taijiya with a bored stare and said, “They are a particularly voracious breed. You may find yourself too late if you delay.”
 
“Maybe we'll take Miroku, too,” Sango mused to herself. She wouldn't be prepared to leave until nightfall, which was a terrible time to go out demon slaying. If they were as nasty as Sesshomaru said, then they would need the extra pair of hands. Kagome could stay in the village and watch Shippo.
 
He supposed that he couldn't be too insistent about them leaving immediately; it would raise suspicions. At least the only human left in the village would be his prey. “Your apprentice will stable Ah-Un. I will take a guest house until you return.”
 
Kagome's heart did a strangled stutter at that statement. Without the ring feeding her his thoughts, the pale youkai seemed to be his typical cold, arrogant self, staring through them as if they weren't worth the air they breathed. It was driving her nuts. She had felt his eyes flicker over her several times and was frantically missing his silent appraisal. Why was he really here and why did he want to stay? Did he like her dress? Did he still want to spank her?
 
“You will?” Sango asked, and was echoed by Akago. Kagome gurgled quietly to herself.
 
Pursing his lips slightly, Sesshomaru issued a whistle inaudible to human ears, and the two-headed dragon lumbered up the path from where he had left him, bringing with him Sesshomaru's trump card.
 
“That is a very unusual request…” Sango started, and then caught sight of the dragon and his rider, “…oh.”
 
Rin's head bobbed with each heavy step, though the sleeping girl magically managed to stay in the saddle. Jaken plodded along silently behind the dragon, wisely biting back his questions and complaints. Watching the demon slayer's protest die an untimely death, Sesshomaru indulged in a mental pat on the back. Oh, how well he knew the female psyche: which of them could say no to a sleeping child?
 
Apparently, Akago could. “That demon is not staying in this village! And I'm not stabling its beast!” she snapped, heedless of her mistress's disapproving glare.
 
Sango's eyes glittered darkly and dangerously as she stepped forward to present her back to her apprentice and sketch a quick bow to Sesshomaru. Whether she liked it or not, Akago had to learn that demon slaying was not all hacking and slashing: there was an important element of client service that had to be performed. An exterminator with a bustling village and a long list of patrons could be more selective of their clients, but a struggling village with one slayer, one apprentice, an ex-monk and a part-time miko had to take what they could get. Coin was coin, regardless of the source.
 
`Besides,' Sango thought with softening of her gaze that Sesshomaru noted in triumph, `that little girl is so cute, all tuckered out from a day in the saddle!' “Lord Sesshomaru, we would be honored for you to stay as a guest in our village. My apprentice will see to your…steed,” she gave the two-headed dragon a wary glance.
 
Kagome had tensed herself for Sango's refusal, sure that the battle-hardened slayer would not allow the youkai to stay in her village. `She must have a serious case of baby fever,' Kagome mused, trying not to think about the male who had been ogling her, and could still be for all she knew, but she didn't because she had left the stupid ring in her bag, and…! Squeezing her eyes shut for a moment, Kagome forced the youkai and the ring from her mind, instead concentrating on what she would like for dinner. Ice cream rebelliously snuck into her thoughts and she huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.
 
“Kagome, could you show our guests to one of the empty houses? The one next to yours should do fine. The rest are still in need of repair,” Sango spoke to the teen, who seemed to be troubled by something. `She needs a husband,' Sango thought. `After this job, I'll take her to some of the surrounding villages and see what we can find.'
 
“Um, sure…” Kagome glanced to the taiyoukai and quickly looked away, not really listening to Sango's instructions. He was staring at her expectantly and it was making her insides squirm. It was ridiculous how easily he could fluster her, even without knowing what was going through his perverted brain, but there it was: she was thoroughly discombobulated.
 
“Kagome?” Sango repeated, nudging her friend's arm with her elbow.
 
She jerkily turned her head to her friend, her eyes startled and distant, “Hm?”
 
“Will you show the Lord Sesshomaru to his lodgings?”
 
“But…but the only house ready is the one next to mine…”
 
Akago snorted rudely in the background, leading Ah-Un to the stables. Jaken had already woken Rin, who was now standing behind the tall taiyoukai and yawning sleepily.
 
Sango felt the beginnings of a headache collecting behind her temples. First Akago, now Kagome was acting strangely. She hoped Sesshomaru and his job weren't going to be more trouble than they were worth. “That's what I said.”
 
Giving herself a firm mental shake and a quick chastisement for letting Sesshomaru get under her skin without even doing anything, Kagome nodded sharply and led the way into the village, refusing to glance backward to see if their “guests” were following. `Absolutely pathetic. Didn't you used to tease Eri for going all cross-eyed for cute guys? You're being worse than she was.'
 
It just wasn't fair that he could just stand there, looking all gorgeous and aloof, when she couldn't hear his thoughts! And since he thought such personal things about her, the least he could do would be to say hello, or something. Really, was it that difficult to be civil? And to think that she would have to spend a few days alone with that…
 
Kagome stumbled mid-step as the implications of that fact hit her like a door being opened into her face, a steadying hand on her elbow the only thing preventing her from kissing dirt in true, Inuyasha-like fashion. Glancing up at her savoir to thank him, her breath abandoned her in a traitorous rush as his golden eyes bored into her with all the gentleness of thumbscrews. Balance regained but equilibrium shot all to hell, Kagome broke eye contact and mumbled a “thanks”, trying not to flee as she pulled out of his grasp and hurried toward where they would be staying.
 
`This is bad,' her frantic mind supplied unnecessarily. `We'll be alone and that hentai inutaiyoukai will be sleeping in the next house …oooohhhhh,' she wasn't sure if she should curse or squeal. Maybe both?
 
But whom was she kidding? He obviously wasn't interested in anything other than eyeballing her, he couldn't be! In all likelihood, he would avoid her and she would be left to break up fights between Shippo and his ward. Great.
 
`I have to get a hold of myself,' she took a deep breath. `I don't even like him. He's a jerk.' Another deep, calming breath. `I will NOT let him turn me inside out with a look! Who cares what he thinks? Not me!'
 
“Right!” she said definitively, pleased by how confident her voice sounded. She turned smartly, and stared over the taiyoukai's left shoulder as she gestured toward the house. “This is where you will be staying. It has plenty of room for all three of you.”
 
Rin yawned hugely and rubbed her nose. “I'm hungry.”
 
Now, this was something that Kagome could handle. “No problem, Rin. Lunch should be ready soon up at Sango's house. Follow me.” To her consternation, all three of them did, and from the tickle between her shoulder blades, Kagome couldn't help but wonder what the taiyoukai had on his agenda other than lunch. `Damnit, I need to get that ring.'
 
With a quick apology, she ducked into her own house, not fifty feet from the guesthouse.
Knocking the bamboo door covering aside with an impatient swipe of her hand, she made a beeline for her tackily striped tote, reaching inside with splayed fingers that clenched around a familiar plastic circle. Without bothering to check what she grasped in her hand, Kagome hurried back out of the hut.
 
The trek up to Sango's house was unrealistically quiet and Kagome was beginning to doubt her own sanity. Maybe he wasn't looking at her anymore? Maybe the ring had stopped working? Who had ever heard of a cereal box toy that projected the thoughts of demons, anyway? And why was she so concerned with this when she had decided that she didn't care?
 
In direct contradiction to her own thoughts, and without giving herself time to question the wisdom of her actions, she bent over slightly to brush a non-existent irritant from her shin, knowing that the dress would ride up in the back and give him a good view of the backs of her thighs.
 
Nothing. Then, `I wonder what's for lunch?'
 
She straightened, mortified that she would do such a thing and miffed that the taiyoukai was more interested in lunch than in her legs. Sneaking a peek at him over her shoulder, she found him regarding her apathetically. Color shot into her cheeks and she stomped the rest of the way to Sango's house. `Idiot. What did you expect, a round of applause?'
 
This game was becoming interesting. `Is the female testing me?' he had to wonder as he watched her pick at her food and studiously ignore him. He was almost positive that she had intentionally presented her backside to him on their way up to the main house, and if he hadn't had an audience, he would have taken her up on the offer. Now, she was quite obviously mad at him. What was going through her mind?
 
With his attention seemingly fixed on some distant point through the little window of the house, Sesshomaru watched in his peripheral vision as the girl blinked quickly, and then shook her head. Momentarily abandoning her stew, she opened one clenched fist to reveal a strange white ring, on which was mounted a flat disc. She stared at it for a few seconds and then closed her fingers over it, once again hiding it from view. A gift from the half-breed? If so, then he had atrocious taste. However, it was good to know that the girl liked jewels and he, Sesshomaru, had access to much finer things than his brother could ever give her.
 
He took it as a good sign that she was not wearing the ugly little thing, though the fact Inuyasha had given her such a personal item bothered him greatly. Time was of the essence. He was almost surprised by how much he was looking forward to taking the sweet little human morsel. Now, to get the humans to leave early…
 
The mat at the door bent to the side to admit a handsome human male. Violet eyes danced with good humor beneath dark brown bangs as they sought out one face among the many gathered around the cooking fire. “Sango, my love!”
 
The slayer rose to her feet and blushed bashfully, giving her a husband a quick peck on the cheek in greeting. “Miroku, I'm glad that you are back early.”
 
Kagome choked and started coughing, pounding her chest lightly with her fist. Miroku shot her a sympathetic look before murmuring, “Mmmm,” in agreement with Sango, his hand squeezing her waist and threatening to slip lower. Deftly, Sango captured that hand in her own and shot him a mock-warning look, then nodded to the rest of the people in the house. He followed her gaze, his eyebrow quirking slightly at the sight of the taiyoukai and his entourage.
 
“I see we have guests! We are honored by your presence, Lord Sesshomaru.” He nodded politely, unfazed by the taiyoukai's dismissive, “Hn.”
 
“He's got a job for us: beetles, eating their way through his border,” Sango explained quietly as she handed him a bowl of stew.
 
He accepted it gratefully and took a seat next to his wife, his knee brushing against hers. “I see. Well, it would prove a welcome change from driving restless spirits from sacred groves.” Despite the disingenuous days of his youth, when he'd banished fictitious youkai and “dark clouds” from headmasters' houses, he was now a sought-after exorcist. His monk's robes had been discarded with his marriage to Sango, but his spiritual powers were nothing if not stronger with her love to support him.
 
Kagome winced as yet another barrage of thoughts hit her:
 
`Sango, my one and only love, your butt is as soft and round as a ripe peach! How I long to cup your firm cheeks in my hand and spread them, revealing to me your womanly delights before I plunge my-`
 
Dropping her bowl with and slosh and a clatter, Kagome jumped to her feet, a furious blush burning in her cheeks and creeping down her neck. “I need some air!” she exclaimed and fled the hut.
 
At least she now knew what that blank ring did. Rin's thoughts had been innocuous enough, as had been Sango's. Akago was just as angry and mistrustful on the inside as she was on the outside, and the cacophony of their combined mental ramblings had been enough to give her a headache. But when Miroku had stepped into the house and described in detail what he wanted to do with Sango's breasts, one act she had never considered possible with that portion of the female anatomy, she had forgotten how to eat and breathe at the same time. Not that she had had much appetite at that point. It was one thing to hear perverted thoughts about yourself, creepy as it may be, but it was a totally different thing to hear one dear friend thinking them about another dear friend, husband or not! And that last thought…
 
Sprinting to the wall around the village, Kagome pulled the ring out of her pocket and chucked it over the wall. Relief washed over her as she propped her hands on her knees and panted harshly. `I knew Miroku was a pervert, but damn! Do all guys think like that all of the time?'
 
Finally catching her breath, she stared at the tall, roughly stripped poles that made up the wall. `Did I just throw a ring that can read human thoughts into a youkai-infested forest?'
 
She took off running again, this time for the gates of the village. Paying no mind to the burning in her lungs, she flew through the gates and alongside the wall, trying to gauge where she had been when she'd thrown the ring. She was brought up short at the bank of the river and her stomach slowly sunk into her toes as she traced the water's path along the wall.
 
“Oh, shit.”
 
There was little doubt in her mind that the ring had landed in the water and would now end up kami-knew-where.