InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Changing Lives ❯ Yet Another Injury What Luck ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
So now I love Kagome and pity Kikyo? he thought. How is that right? Kikyo did everything she could to be pure, loving and loved, and Kagome . . . Kagome does it all without trying, he realized.


He sighed. His life was just getting more and more complicated. Was it ever going to end?

AE Thirty Four

The next day wasn’t any less stressful. First, a demon attacked in broad daylight just after they finished their breakfast. It turned into a huge battle that nearly decimated an entire village and gave Inuyasha yet another belly wound.

The damn thing had tentacles and one went straight through his stomach. As if that wasn’t enough, it then commented on how good he tasted, informing them that each tentacle had a mouth of its own. While Kagome’s arrows hurt it quite a bit, it hadn’t killed it, and Inuyasha was greatly slowed down by his wound.

Sango and Miroku gave quite a few good hits of their own, but in the end it was a distraction set by Shippo - an illusion of a god come to wreak vengeance upon the demon - that allowed Inuyasha the split second he needed to finish it off.

His last attack was overpowered, if anything. It took out several trees behind the demon, and one of them fell on a hut. While that was definitely a bad thing, the villagers looked past that and cheered on their heroes.

An hour later they left the village, after getting patched up and helping to set things straight in the now pitiful village.

It was probably only Inuyasha who thought this, but he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut about it. Kagome would only yell at him, scold him about how insensitive he was, and then Sit him several times.

Being along with Kagome gave him continued chances to ask her about that story she wrote, but every time he convinced himself to bring it up, he jaw would stick shut and stay that way until he decided not to say anything about it. It was getting frustrating.

It was bad timing, too, that he got his wound when he did. It usually took two or three days to fully heal and in two days was the new moon night. If it wasn’t healed just enough by that night, it would be extremely difficult on him, possibly life-threatening. He hadn’t informed Kagome of this. And just to be sure that he couldn’t be bothered on the night, he had already planned on leaving.

While he himself attracted trouble, it was Kagome who attracted the most dangerous situations. She herself was dangerous at times, with her screams and Sits and hair-pulling. Quite a few times while patching him up he’d make the mistake of saying something wrong, and sometimes she’d poke or jab the wound instead of Sit him.

What was it with women! Do they just not understand that in battle men don’t wince because they’re focused, but afterwards they can actually feel pain! And the women are willing to jab wounds anyway!

He snorted. Damn women.

~*~Next Morning~*~

He woke up to the sound of soft humming and sighed. What was that sound? Who was making it? He didn’t want to get up yet, so instead he cracked open his eyes and tried to focus.

The humming stopped before he located it and a shriller, more annoying humming took its place. He winced at the abuse on his ears and looked around sharply.

Shippo!

He sat up and stared. What was - why - Shippo - humming!

Shippo stopped, grinning, and looked across at Kagome. Kagome was smiling back, and she began a soft humming again, but in a different sequence.

Inuyasha blinked. “Kagome,” he said. She didn’t seem to hear him. “Kagome!” he snapped.

She stopped and looked at him. Judging by her narrowed eyes and slight frown, she wasn’t happy with him. What did he do?

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“I’m teaching Shippo,” she replied.

“Teaching him what?”

“Songs.”

“But you’re humming.”

“That’s the way to start.”

“He’s pretty far behind, then.”

“Inuyasha!” she snapped. “Now you know that wasn’t nice!”

“Your voice is soft. His is. . . not,” Inuyasha reasoned.

Kagome sighed. “Go back to sleep.”

He was having fun now. “I can’t.”

“Why not?” she said, heavily, exasperated.

“Because Shippo’s humming hurts my ears.”

“Keep this up and I’ll screech until you beg for mercy!” she snarled at him.

“Fat chance!” he shot back.

She growled in that heavy, exasperated way females growl when they want to scream. “Go back to sleep,” she ordered.

“I told you; I can’t.”

“Go back to sleep.”

“No.”

“Go back to sleep, Inuyasha.”

“I said, no.”

“Then go somewhere else and stop hindering us!”

He grinned. “And that’s all you had to say.” It was still somewhat painful to get up, but he did it and walked away from them.

“He always has to be so difficult,” he heard her muttering. He flicked his ears back to hear her more clearly. “So, so, so, so difficult. . . You’d think he didn’t have to be such a jerk all the time -”

Inuyasha chuckled. He had to admit, he was ‘difficult’ with her. He almost couldn’t help it, really. Something about seeing her angry. . .He just liked her more when she wanted to strangle him. It kind of a ridiculous thing to like, but then, in many ways he himself was ridiculous.

“You know, you’re beautiful when you’re angry.”

He stopped. He’d heard that somewhere before, he was sure of it. Maybe one of Kagome’s books. But why would he think of it?

Oh, no. . .

No way! he thought. I don’t think she’s beautiful! Especially when she’s angry! She’s a, a - she’s a horrible bitch when she’s angry at me - but - no no no no no no! No! Don’t think it! Don’t think it!

“She is beautiful,” he whispered.

He shook his head sharply. “No, no, no! She is not! Gods, what’s wrong with me! This is a dream. A dream that - no, a nightmare - that - that her stupid story caused! It has to be! This is a nightmare and any second I’ll wake up and won’t feel like this!”

He didn’t realize he was talking aloud until he noticed how quiet it was around him. Small animals had stopped their morning routines to look at him, ears forward, standing on their haunches, eyes on him alone. He snarled and they all ran away.

“I’m mad,” he sighed. “That’s it. It’ll all make sense later.”

Resolved, he began his trek again until he realized he didn’t know where he was heading. He ended up before a stream, not far from camp. Thinking back, he realized one more thing he hadn’t bothered to notice - Sango and Miroku weren’t with Kagome. That meant Kagome was alone with Shippo. And was Kirara there?

Great, just great. He left Kagome and Shippo alone. And he developed a bad habit of talking to himself. To top it off, he was insane. And of course, he was also injured. Wasn’t his life just perfect?

“Shit,” he muttered. Considering the effort it took to get here, he didn’t want to get up again. He was debating whether or not to go back when the decision was made for him. He heard Kagome’s voice, yelling.

“Would you just leave me alone!”

He got up fairly easily for an injured man and ran back, ignoring his wound for the time being. He wasn’t far when he heard her speak again, but more quietly, more calmly.

“I’m sorry, Kouga -“

Kouga!

“-I’m just a little stressed.”

Stressed! He stopped and listened.

Kouga’s voice. “What’s stressing you? It’s not dog-turd, is it?”

“No, no it isn’t,” Kagome replied.

Yes it is. You know it is. I’m everything bad in your life.

“You’re sure, Kagome? I know you two argue a lot. Where is he, anyway?”

Shit, he’s going to smell me - I’d better make an appearance before he suspects I’m eavesdropping.

“I’m right here, why?” he said, getting back into their camp. “Want an ass-kicking?”

“You couldn’t kick an ass if it was right in front of you,” Kouga snapped back.

“That’s a lot coming from a wolf that can’t aim,” Inuyasha shot back.

“Go piss on a tree.”

“That’s your area of expertise.”

“Stop it, both of you!” Kagome snapped.

“Yeah!” Shippo added.

Inuyasha snorted. “Wimpy wolf and wimpy woman.” Fuck, I shouldn’t have said that. . .

Kagome’s glare could kill. “Excuse me?”

He kept his mouth shut.

“What did you say?” Kouga asked.

“Something about a wimpy woman,” Shippo said.

“I hope you’re not talking about me,” Kagome was going on.

“He’d better not be,” Kouga growled.

“That’s my line,” Sango’s voice said.

She and Miroku had reappeared, Kirara behind them. He didn’t bother asking where they were.

The monk! He could help me! He cleared his throat. “Where were you two?”

“You’re learn in due time,” Miroku said. So much for him helping.

“What happened here?” Sango asked, standing beside Kagome. “What’d he say this time?”

Kagome looked at Shippo, who puffed up and quoted him - in his own voice.

“Wimpy wolf and wimpy woman.”

Inuyasha paled. This couldn’t go good. . . Maybe I can play sick or something. That’s right; I’m injured! Unfortunately he hadn’t acted a day in his life. How did one pretend to be in pain?

Relive it!

He groaned and grabbed his middle. Just the memory of the pain of getting stabbed through the stomach with a thick tentacle was enough to make one double over.

And Kagome, being so caring, was a perfect nurse who always came to the aid of the injured. Predictably, she melted.

“Inuyasha!” she gasped. She was beside him in an instant and asking a million questions with each breath. This time, however, he kept his mouth shut. He didn’t miss the look of such jealousy on Kouga’s face, though, and his heart leapt in his chest of how simple it was to make the wolf jealous.

He caught a smirk on Miroku’s face, too, and knew that Miroku knew that he was faking it. Judging by the look on Sango’s face, she knew it, too, but for her credit she wasn’t exposing him.

Within minutes Kagome had his haori off and new bandages on. Kouga was gone - a definite plus. The subject had been entirely dropped and didn’t look like it was going to be brought up again. Thank the Gods for that, at least.

The day hadn’t turned out so bad.

------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Hey look, there goes, erm. . . somebody. O.o

:Watches people running around madly:

Ooo, I like this one! :Glomps some hunky guy and takes him as my plaything: Here ya go, Naraku, have a buddy.

Naraku: Welcome to Hell in a handbasket.

New Guy: Eh?

Mwahaha!!!

See ya!