InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Complexities of Fate ❯ Key To Your Heart ( Chapter 58 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
 
To MyJoseph who has perfected the art, science and magic of loving me
 
Aisheteru
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 58:KEY TO YOUR HEART
 
 
 
 
My mate, where are you? Inuyasha thought longingly as he passed by a familiar park. That's where I first heard her sing. He thought smiling fondly at the abandoned, old park. Something in his heart twinge.
 
This is where it all started. That was the night I fell for her. That was the night my youkai decided that it wants her… Against his better judgment, Inuyasha stepped on the break and made a u-turn towards the park.
 
I long to hear your voice…sing for me again, Kagome…
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha sighed as the engine of the roadster died with an almost soft purr. This place brings so many memories. He thought as he reluctantly opened his door. The moment the cool evening breeze wafted through his nose, his heartbeat raced. Kagome. He thought as he hastily unsnapped his seatbelt. He bolted out of the car and ran following his instincts. He stopped on his tracks when he reached the swings…
 
She's been here! He thought looking around for a sign of his mate.
 
“KAGOME!” Inuyasha called. The slight wind teased him with the soft scent of his woman - lavender and roses, sweet earth and sunshine, love and longing.
 
“Kagome, where are you?” Inuyasha asked aloud as he stopped in the very center of the park letting his instinct guide him to her.
 
The shrine. Inuyasha thought as he ran back to his car. He could feel his blood rushing in his veins and his youkai eager to come out to take control.
 
The shrine, why didn't I think of it? Inuyasha thought as he ran the roadster at full speed. He knows Kagome is near, he could almost hear her heartbeat in the silence of the night, he could almost feel her caress in the wind.
 
She's near, my mate is near… Inuyasha thought excitedly as he avoided a slow motorcycle and swerved to the other lane.
 
The roadster screeched to a stop as he stepped on the breaks, he didn't even think of locking his car as he ran up the gray, stone steps. His breathing was rugged as he stopped outside the house's main door not because of his exertion from climbing the steps but because of the excitement that seemed to consume his being leaving him a pathetically shivering mess. Kagome…He thought as he raised his fist and knocked…
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
“Will Inuyasha be okay?” Mrs. Hirohito asked her husband again for the twenty-seventh time that evening.
 
“He will be…” Mr. Hirohito replied patiently and Mrs. Hirohito sighed.
 
“Has he called yet?” She asked her eldest son.
 
“Not yet, Mother.” Sesshoumaru replied.
 
“Do you think…?”
 
“Darling, you're driving all of us nuts with your worrying. Your son will be okay and the reason he has not called is maybe he already caught with Kagome and they're both busy and we'll see the fruit of their labor nine months from now…” Mr. Hirohito stated as he flipped the page of the book he's reading. He smiled when Sesshoumaru smirked.
 
“Dad, you're giving Inuyasha too much credit, may be the reason he has not called yet is because Kagome is giving him hell for not remembering soon…”
 
“Your brother and his libido making his youkai thought he remembered his mate and woke her up ahead of him…”
 
“I told him that…” Sesshoumaru said and the men looked at each other and snorted.
 
“Trust Inuyasha to get physically attracted to Kagome at first meeting…”
 
“Well, Kagome is beautiful…” Sesshoumaru defended and Mr. Hirohito raised his brow.
 
“Did I detect a trace of longing there?”
 
“Dad, she is beautiful and she's my brother's mate...it's a shame she does not have a sister though…” Sesshoumaru replied.
 
“You're right, Kagome is a sweet girl…”
 
“So that baka better find her or I will make him pay…” Sesshoumaru said calmly.
 
“Have faith in your brother…” Mr. Hirohito retorted with equal calm.
 
“What is wrong with you two?! My son is out there alone looking for Kagome and you're not worried?!” Mrs. Hirohito asked rather hysterically.
 
“Darling, our son found his mate when he was sixteen, woke his youkai up around that age, underwent intensive training for two years and now he's looking for his mate…and you're worried because…?”
 
“Because he is alone, we don't know where this chase would lead him…what if she won't take him back?”
 
“Would you have refused me had we been in Inuyasha and Kagome's situation?” Mr. Hirohito asked.
 
“Of course not!”
 
“So tell me again why you're worried?” Mr. Hirohito asked his wife smiling fondly at the distraught woman.
 
“I hate it when you give me logical answers…” Mrs. Hirohito whispered to herself.
 
“Don't worry about Inuyasha…he's my son…of course he inherited my charm…and you told me yourself that you find me irresistible…” Mr. Hirohito stated offhandedly and winced when a book was thrown on his head.
 
“You're right, Dad. You're so irresistible…” Sesshoumaru said as he watched his mother walked out of the room.
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Mrs. Higurashi stood up to open the door and gasped when she saw Inuyasha. She stared at the young man for a second unsure of what to say since according to Kagome, Inuyasha totally forgot…
 
“Yes?” She asked, smiling hesitantly.
 
“Mama, where is Kagome?” Inuyasha replied and Mrs. Higurashi took a step back, too shock to say anything as Inuyasha let himself in. She stared at the young man before her not saying anything.
 
“What?” She asked finally as Inuyasha took two steps at a time towards Kagome's bedroom.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha's voice calling for her daughter's name shook her out from her initial shock and she looked at Souta and her father when they came out of the kitchen.
 
“Is that who I think that is?” Souta asked more to himself as they watched Inuyasha ran down the stairs.
 
“Please, where is she? Where's my mate?” Inuyasha asked Kagome's shocked family.
 
“Your mate?” Mrs. Higurashi repeated, not sure if she heard the young man right.
 
“Kagome!” Inuyasha called again not waiting for an answer as he ran to the backyard, Kagome's family following him. “Kagome, where are you!”
 
“She went back to Tokyo.” Souta declared as he looked at Inuyasha up and down. “Inu-neechan?” He asked hesitantly and Inuyasha realized that he barged in without an explanation.
 
“Souta, I'm sorry….I've been looking for your sister for more than two weeks and I smelled her at the old park and ran here.” He explained quickly and was surprised when Souta ran to him and hugged his middle. “Souta?” He asked hugging the boy back.
 
“She was sad when you forgot, what took you so long?” Souta asked, his voice thick with unshed tears and Inuyasha smiled fondly at the boy.
 
“It took longer than I anticipated…”
 
“She was supposed to go to Tokyo tomorrow to look for you but her agent called this afternoon about a new project so instead she left earlier than planned.” Souta said stepping back, his face red with embarrassment for his behavior.
 
“Do you know where she's staying?” Inuyasha asked and Mrs. Higurashi spoke…
 
“She's staying at your dorm…” She said smiling at Inuyasha. “Welcome back…” She added and was surprised when Inuyasha walked up to her and gave her a quick hug.
 
“It's nice to be back…” Inuyasha said. “I'll explain later, but I need to go after Kagome…” He said as let Mrs. Higurashi go.
 
“I expect nothing less…” Mrs. Higurashi replied and smiled encouragingly as Inuyasha waved at them goodbye. They all watched as Inuyasha hurriedly ran towards the shrine steps.
 
“I thought he forgot?” Ji-chan spoke for the first time after Inuyasha's sudden appearance.
 
“We thought wrong…” Mrs. Higurashi replied.
 
“Should we call nee-chan in advance to tell her the good news?” Souta asked his mother.
 
“No, it's been almost three years…Inuyasha deserves the right to tell Kagome that he remembered…”
 
“Knowing nee-chan, she'd give him a hard time…she cried buckets for him after all…” Souta predicted and his grandfather nodded his agreement.
 
“He should be horse-whipped for not remembering my granddaughter soon!”
 
“I expect nothing less from my daughter…but then again, we were wrong when we thought Inuyasha failed to remember…may be we'll be wrong again this time…” Mrs. Higurashi said and sighed as Souta and her father placed bets on the severity of Inuyasha's punishment.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
“Based on the commercial's feedback, the audience rather loves you.” Sonja, Mr. Saitoh's secretary stated as they waited for the him.
 
“Really?” Kagome replied smiling tiredly. She had gone straight to the dorm to freshen up and drove to Dusit Hotel for her meeting with Mr. Saitoh.
 
“A little more enthusiasm, girl! You're a big hit!” Sonja teased and Kagome laughed softly.
 
“I won't be making any more commercials when school starts…Mr. Saitoh and I agreed on that…”
 
“That's why the boss is accepting offers for you while you still can…”
 
“This model thing is more tiring than debate…”
 
“It's okay, not everyone is given a break like you were…”
 
“I know and I'm grateful…” Kagome replied giving Sonja a friendly smile.
 
“Here he is…” Sonja whispered and both girls stood up.
 
“Kagome, it's good to see you again!” Mr. Saitoh greeted as he kissed Kagome on the cheek.
 
“It's a pleasure to see you again, Mr. Saitoh.”
 
“Come on, let's sit…” Mr. Saitoh said gesturing for the women for follow him as he sat and looked at the menu.
 
“I told Ms. Higurashi that the audience loves her, Mr. Saitoh.” Sonja said eagerly and the kind, old man smiled.
 
“Sonja is right, Kagome. Recent surveys showed that the audience reacts well to you and the product you endorsed gained more than the market share they expected…”
 
“Thank you, sir.” Kagome replied graciously itching for the meeting to finish.
 
“I know you told me you'd stop once classes start but I have an offer…”
 
“Let's hear it then, Mr. Saitoh.” Kagome replied pleasantly.
 
“BMG offered a contract…”
 
“BMG, the record company?” Kagome asked in surprise.
 
“Yes,”
 
“But how…?”
 
“I have my sources…grab it, Kagome…please…we'll start recording before school starts and finish it hopefully in a month's time…”
 
“I'm curious…how do you know I sing?” Kagome asked.
 
“Your friend Natomi, gave us a tape of your Victory party…you were singing and you really have a beautiful voice…the president of BMG happens to be my wife's brother and we gave him the tape….”
 
“Oh,” Was all Kagome could say. Things were going too fast, it's making her dizzy.
 
“So, what do you think?” Mr. Saitoh asked as she looked at the contract Mr. Saitoh handed her.
 
“I'll think about it and give you my answer in three days…” Kagome replied.
 
“Okay, I hope you'll consider…” Mr. Saitoh said.
 
“We'll know in three days time…” Kagome replied smiling at Mr. Saitoh and Sonja. Besides, I have more pressing matters to attend to like a mate who totally forgot. Kagome thought as she took a sip from her glass.
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Inuyasa paced his room impatiently. Kagome reached their dorm but left again shortly —her lingering scent said as much. He took his cell phone out and dialed her number and breathed a sigh of relief when someone answered.
 
“Hello, Kagome. Where are you?”
 
“Inuyasha?” The voice replied and Inuyasha looked at the cell phone in puzzlement.
 
“Yes? Isn't this Kagome Higurashi's number?” He asked.
 
“Inuyasha, this is her Mama, she left her phone on top her computer table here at the shrine…”
 
“Oh,” Inuyasha replied, feeling his chest constrict with disappointment.
 
“I'm sorry…” Mrs. Higurashi said detecting the sadness and disappointment in Inuyasha's voice.
 
“It's okay, Mama.”
 
“I wish I know what hotel she'll be meeting her agent but I forgot to ask…”
 
“It's okay, I'll just wait for her here…” Inuyasha replied trying to keep his voice light.
 
“Do that…”
 
“I will…”
 
“And Inuyasha?”
 
“Yes, Mama?”
 
“Be patient with my daughter, I know she never intended for you to wait…”
 
“I know…”
 
“Okay. Bye.”
 
“Bye, Mama.” Inuyasha replied as he put his cell phone down. Damn, Kagome. You've become an expert escape artist. He thought as he stood up to shut his window against the wind and heavy rain. Stay safe, my mate.
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Kagome worriedly looked outside the hotel visible through the thick, glass wall. Her face frowning as she saw the traffic and flooded streets.
 
“Bad weather.” Sonja commented following her gaze.
 
“Yes.” She replied turning her head slightly to look at the red-haired girl beside her.
 
“Where are you staying, Kagome?” Mr. Saitoh asked as he regarded the young girl sitting across him.
 
“At the dorm, Sir…” Kagome replied smiling briefly.
 
“Are you driving home at this weather?” Mr. Saitoh asked again and Kagome's frown deepened.
 
“I'm actually not so sure, Sir.” She replied shortly shivering slightly as she saw the trees around near the hotel's walkway bend to the wind.
 
“Why don't you and Sonja get a room here, I'll pay for it.” Mr. Saitoh offered.
 
“No, no, Sir. You don't have to do that, it's okay.”
 
“I insist, besides I would just worry if you girls drive home at this weather…” Mr. Saitoh said kindly and Kagome started to protest again but Sonja kicked her foot.
 
“That's very generous of you, Sir. Thank you very much. We appreciate your concern and kindness.” Sonja replied bowing her head slightly.
 
“Well then, let me make arrangements at the front desk and call my wife that I'll be home late because of the traffic, she'll be very worried…” Mr. Saitoh said as he stood up leaving Kagome and Sonja at the table.
 
“He doesn't have to pay for our room….” Kagome whispered as soon as Mr. Saitoh was out of earshot.
 
“Come on, the company has a budget for such!”
 
“But it's embarrassing…”
 
“Kagome, you have no idea how much you're worth…” Sonja replied with a giggle as Kagome rolled her eyes at her. Why do I have a feeling I need to be home tonight? Kagome thought as she instinctively felt for the heart-shaped locket hidden inside her blouse. Why do I feel as if someone's waiting…?
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha sighed again as he flipped through channels. He was getting bored and restless at the same time. He wanted for Kagome to come home but a part of him hoped that she stayed wherever she was for safety.
 
I'll wait for you no matter how long it takes… Inuyasha thought as he raised the gold chain holding the miniature golden key. I'll wait for you so hurry home. Hurry home to me… Sighing, Inuyasha turned the television off and walked towards Kagome's bedroom to sleep.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome smiled as she tiptoed around the bed. It was almost five in the morning and she's eager to go back to her dorm to change. She paused when her bag fell off the chair and Sonja stirred. She giggled softly when the older girl raised her head sleepily and laid back down snoring.
 
She hastily wrote a note explaining that she went ahead and placed it slightly underneath the white and gold lamp after she brushed her teeth.
 
She smiled at the attendant who took her car out for her and shyly asked for her autograph. I will never ever get used to this. Kagome thought as she handed the blushing, young man his notebook and pen. He profusely thanked her and Kagome smiled in return as she took her car key from him.
 
Inuyasha, where are you? She thought as she turned the radio on and almost cried when she heard the song being played… You've got to be kidding me, Kami, you just have to rub it in, don't you? Kagome thought, her eyes misting over as the song played.
 
 
If you're not the one then why does my soul feel glad today?
If you're not the one then why does my hand fit yours this way?
If you are not mine then why does your heart return my call?
If you are not mine would I have the strength to stand at all?
 

I never know what the future brings
But I know you are here with me now
We'll make it through
And I hope you are the one I share my life with


I don't wanna run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

If I don't need you then why am I crying on my bed?
If I don't need you then why does your name resound in my head?
If you're not for me then why does this distance maim my life?
If you're not for me then why do I dream of you as my wife?
 

I don't know why you're so far away
But I know that this much is true
We'll make it through

And I hope you are the one I share my life with
And I wish that you could be the one I die with
And I pray in you're the one I build my home with

I hope I love you all my life

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

'Cause I miss you, body and soul so strong that it takes my breath away
And I breathe you into my heart and pray for the strength to stand today
'Cause I love you, whether it's wrong or right
And though I can't be with you tonight
And know my heart is by your side


I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
By the time the song ended Kagome was bawling her eyes out and cursing Inuyasha's stupidity and her decision to leave his side before the full moon ended. I'm such an idiot, I've known I will wither and die without you but I just had to leave because you just had to bring the Paris girl to the picture you damn baka! Her roadster screeched in protest when she savagely stepped on the breaks when she reached her dormitory's parking lot, imagining it was Inuyasha's face she was stepping on. She felt a momentary relief and cried again because she just misses him so much.
 
Even car breaks remind me of you. How pathetic is that? Kagome thought as she searched for her handkerchief examining her eyes on the rearview mirror. And now I look like a mess! Taking her comb out, she haphazardly arranged her hair into a messy bun and groped for her sunglasses. Okay, this is a new fashion statement. Kagome thought smiling ruefully as she adjusted her shades after putting face powder on. She locked her car and walked towards the ramp leading to the main entrance of the dorm.
 
She nodded at the guard sagely and smiled briefly at Naoimi the receptionist. Sighing she walked slowly towards the elevators and stepped inside unhurriedly punching the number ten button and banging her head softly against the panel.
 
We are such idiots! Why am I an idiot and why did I ever fall in love with one? She thought rumoring herself and sighed again when the elevator pinged softly as it reached the tenth floor. She took her keys out and opened the door taking her shoes off carelessly. She went straight to Inuyasha's bedroom as she plopped on his bed and hugged one of his pillows.
 
I'm so going to strangle you when I see you again. She thought as she stood up and undressed intending to take a bath. She started to walk towards her bedroom and stopped deciding to use his pajamas instead. Or sleep in the nude. Kagome snorted. What a pleasant surprise would that be…
 
Opening the bathroom door softly, she stepped under the shower and closed her eyes letting the lukewarm water wash her anxieties away. I wish washing sadness and forgetting is as easy as taking a shower. Humming to herself, Kagome continued to bath unaware of the man sleeping on her bed waiting for her….
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha stirred from his fitful sleep. Did I imagine it or did I hear the shower running? He thought as he sat up looking at his watch. He listened for another sound but nothing came so he plopped back on Kagome's bed. Where are you, Kagome? You'd better come home this morning or I will hunt you down… Turning on his side, he stretched languidly and decided to prepare breakfast in case Kagome comes home early. Standing up, he adjusted his white shirt and boxer shorts shaking his head to rid of the sleepiness. He looked for his bedroom slippers and walked towards the door when he heard another crash and a curse. Inuyasha stiffened, his heart hammering in his chest. Kagome? He thought as he silently walked towards his bedroom where the sound came.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Kagome cursed softly when she stabbed her big toe on the foot of Inuyasha's bed. Taking her I-Pod, she plugged the earphones in both ears as she sat facing Inuyasha's drum set. She regarded the instrument with interest imagining Inuyasha sitting on the vacant chair banging the thing away. He's too loud for someone who's supposed to have demon hearing. She thought with a smile as she walked towards the drums. Sitting on the red and silver chair, she twiddled with the drum sticks and turned her MP3 player off.
 
Come to think of it, I have not see him play the drums…I bet he looks sexy as hell when he does. Kagome thought as she hit the sticks on the largest drum to her right and winced at the sound.
 
“Geez…talk about loud”. She said aloud as she put the drum sticks down. Standing up, she turned her I-Pod on again as she plopped down Inuyasha's bed carelessly. Where are you, Inuyasha? She thought as she played with the gold locket lying on her chest. Where are you and what are you thinking…? Kagome sighed and she tapped her foot against Inuyasha's bed and hummed to the tune.
 
Inuyasha watched as Kagome hummed to herself. He was too surprised to see her inside his bedroom and on top of his bed wearing his bathrobe that was way too big for her to move or say anything. Kagome! He called in his mind as he watched her foot tap against his bed and her head swayed to some music. His eyes were drawn to her right hand however which was fidgeting with the gold locket he gave her. Slowly, he inched towards the foot of the bed, his heart twitching at the fetching sight before him…
 
Kagome sighed again as she wrenched the headphone off her ears shoving the I-Pod carelessly until it fell of the bed to the carpeted floor with a muted thud. Eyes still closed, she massaged the bridge of her nose with her left hand…
 
“Where are you, Inuyasha and what are you up to?” Kagome said aloud and yelped in surprise when she felt the bed shift and a warm body drape across hers. Her eyes flew open and meet the golden gaze of her mate.
 
Kagome stared at Inuyasha in disbelief, unmoving as he adjusted his body on top of her keeping most of the weight off her. She felt him sat up a little as he took the locket from her fingers. He shifted and lay on his side bringing her with him and Kagome still said nothing. She watched as he fumbled with a chain around his neck and inserted what looked like a small key inside the small opening in her locket. She watched with amazement as the locket opened with a snap. Kagome's tears fell when she saw a photo of them inside the heart-shaped locket. Inuyasha caught her tears with his thumb as he leaned his forehead against hers.
 
“I'm here with my mate and I'm holding the key to her heart…” He whispered holding her close as sobs shook her frame…
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
Author's Note:
 
Hmm….blame this chapter on my being too in love. Mushy enough? LOL.Don't forget to review!