InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confrontation II: Trials and Tribulations ❯ Undesired Conversations ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: As always all characters will be walking that fine line of OOCness. Don't have anything to say, so enjoy and please don't forget to review. Oh and don't forget to vote when the time comes. Thanks in advance and Thanks for your continued support!!
 
Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership to anyone with the exception of Kanomaru, Joudama, Rinji, Reinto, Teela, Susamajii and Mana. All others belong to the wonderfully amazing Rumiko Takahashi.
 
Chapter 18:
 
Undesired Conversations
 
Rin ran blindly down the hallway, away from the hateful woman's words. She didn't want to think about it, she didn't want to hear it anymore, but it was everywhere and nowhere all at once.
 
Every footstep she took, Teela was there, laughing at her, whispering her hurtful words of deceit. She could almost see her there taunting and chiding her as she ran.
 
`She said they all know! Am I a fool? Was I nothing but an idiot for believing in Sesshomaru?' she thought as she tried relentlessly to not give into the woman's voice that hummed in her head.
 
Rin didn't want to believe it, not one single word of it, but how could she not? Just because the source of the information was a royal and a total bitch, didn't make it untrue, did it?
 
What if that had been Sesshomaru's plan all along? Was his initial intention to make her his mate, or did he feel forced into it, because she was pregnant with Kanomaru?
 
`Oh…oh Kami,' she whimpered, as she stumbled slightly, but caught herself against the wall.
 
Taking a moment to catch her breath, she couldn't stop the next thought from filtering into her already bewildered mind, `Was she… Oh Kami! Was she brought here to be his true mate? Was Teela brought here…to my home, to bare him a full-blooded heir? He…he wants her to take my place?' Shaking her head in a negative fashion, Rin mumbled as she pushed away from the wall, “No…No… It…it can't be.”
 
Just the thought of her husband…her mate laying with someone else was enough to bring the woman to her knees.
 
`Sesshomaru wouldn't…' she couldn't finish that thought. The idea…the simple implication that he would be caressing someone else…that he would be kissing and intimately touching someone…anyone else… The thought that someone…anyone else would be touching him in places where only she should…had, were all thoughts that she could not…would not…refused to tolerate.
 
`He wouldn't…He… Sesshomaru you can't! This can't be true! She's lying! Teela has to be lying!' she silently screamed.
 
Wiping her eyes with the back of her hand as she rounded the final corner that would take her to her son's room, she collided with someone.
 
Rin didn't have the strength to look up; she just wanted the person to leave…move…get out of her way. Her hands came up to rest against the person's chest on reflex as she whispered, while trying to stifle a sob that begged for release, “Please…Please excuse me.”
 
The person said nothing, his hands resting gently against her hips, steadying her.
 
Rin realized quickly that the person, whoever he was, was not listening, or either hadn't heard her. Glancing slowly up, she immediately noticed the white of his hair, and the claws on his hands.
 
`Sess…Sesshomaru,' she thought anxiously, shoving roughly against the demon. Stumbling back a few steps, she looked directly at the youkai…the demon that wasn't her husband. “Who…who are you?” she queried softly, hesitantly.
 
Reinto stared down at the woman, his eyes narrowed, his face as stoic as Sesshomaru's. Before his `un-accidental' collision with the human, he'd been on his way to locate Teela. He had heard her sniffles down the hall and as a result, he slowed his pace and waited for her to round the corner.
 
At first, he hadn't a clue as to just whom it was, but now that he stood face to face with her, he could tell immediately that it was definitely the woman from the picture he'd seen in the hanyou's room.
 
Tilting his head from right to left and back again, he thought as he continued to stare unabashedly down at her, `Is this all that human women do? Cry?'
 
Rin realized quickly that this had to be one of demons that Sesshomaru had told her about. Stepping back, she squared her shoulders as best she could, and spoke with as much authority as she could muster, “Who are you, and why are you in this hallway?” She knew that there was no reason for anyone to be in this end of the mansion. The only rooms that were located here was Kano's room, and the room she used for storage of her finer collectibles.
 
Quieting his private thoughts, Reinto bowed his head and stated softly, “I am Reinto of the Southern Territory. Forgive me, Lady Rin. I must have gotten lost.” Straightening up, he stared down at her as he slowly took in her current state of dress or rather undress.
 
He noticed her red, swollen eyes, her wet hair, the way the thin kimono clung to her still wet body, revealing things to him that he was more than sure weren't meant for him to see.
 
Noticing his eyes raking slowly over her, Rin stepped back and tried to retain what was left of her composure. Even though his gaze was making her more than a little uncomfortable, she knew that to take off and run right now would do nothing but add insult to injury. So she stood there, her head held high, and her fist holding the neckline of the kimono tightly closed. “If you're looking for Lord Sesshomaru, you may find him in his study,” she stated hoping that he'd hurry up and leave.
 
Scenting her without letting her know what he was doing, Reinto thought, `She's anxious…nervous, but not scared. Is she that familiar with demons? Doesn't she know what I'm…we're capable of? Hasn't Sesshomaru told her about us…Susamajii? More importantly why is she roaming the halls dressed like this.' His eyes softened a little as he spoke, “Actually I was following Teela, the bitch that is traveling with Lord Susamajii, her scent led in this direction. Have you seen her?”
 
`Teela,' Rin thought. For one brief, almost nonexistent moment, she'd forgotten about her. Her hateful sly tongue, her conniving smirk, and her cold unfeeling remarks, she'd forgotten all of that for one adorably brief moment.
 
Reinto made note of the way the young woman visually cringed. He noticed how her heart began to drum rapidly within her chest, and the way her scent spiked with fear, anger, and something else that could have easily been hatred. Taking a subconscious step forward, he queried, “Lady Rin, is everything okay?” It wasn't that he really cared or would've admitted as much, he just wanted to know exactly why the mere mention of Teela's name was enough to cause the woman to nearly jump out of her skin.
 
All at once the Inu bitch's repugnant cackle…her voice enveloped her, driving her back into her previous state of mind. Shaking her head slightly, Rin tried to force it away…ignore it, but it did no good. Pushing quickly past the demon, she stuttered, “Pl…please excuse me. I…I must go.”
 
Reinto turned slowly and watched as the distraught woman made her way hastily down the hallway and disappeared into what he knew to be the young hanyou's room. He could smell her tears and feel her upset as the remnants of her frazzled aura wrapped possessively around her as if it was trying to comfort her in some small manner.
 
Turning slowly, he made his way down the hall in an attempt to finish his current mission. His mind wondered away from her and towards the one that was obviously responsible for the woman's current mental state, `Teela, you bitch, what the hell have you done?'
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
Staring across the courtyard at the humans busily working on the tent that was to house the attendees of Kanomaru's birthday celebration, Miroku stated mused, “Who would've thought that Sesshomaru would actually allow humans on his property?”
 
Leaning back against the base of the tree, his arms resting comfortably behind his head, Inuyasha didn't reply. He really didn't have time to listen to the Monk's idle chatter, his thoughts were on Kagome and the lie that he felt forced into telling.
 
Hell, the only reason he was out here with Miroku now was to get away from her. It wasn't that he didn't want to be around her, it was just that every time he looked at her, heard her voice, or smelled her scent; it made him feel like even more of an ungrateful untrustworthy bastard.
 
`How could I lie to her? Why didn't I just tell her the truth and deal with the consequences?' he thought with a silent groan. He answered his own question, `Because I'm a pathetic wimp, that's why.'
 
Inuyasha had fought off and killed demons that his own powerful and almost unstoppable father couldn't kill. He'd spent years ruthlessly hunting down Naraku until he finally cornered him and killed him. He'd been stuck to that damn tree for 50 fucking years, lingering somewhere between life and death and now here he was a mated man that was too fucking scared to tell his human mate that he didn't want pups.
 
How bad would it really get if he told her the truth? Wouldn't she just have to accept his choice the same way he accepted her choices? Wasn't this a part of being mated…being in a relationship…being married? Surely, she wouldn't just stop loving him, because he wanted something different…something that if she actually took the time to think about, would actually make a hell of a lot of sense.
 
Inuyasha sighed, his eyes now closed to the world around him, his mind lost in his own private desperate thoughts. Hadn't he already decided that he could deal with her being mad at him? So why was he wasting his day and his energy thinking about this shit? Why didn't he just tell her when he had the chance? Why did he lie? Why did he make what should have been a simple discussion into something unforgivable?
 
The hanyou growled low in his throat, he was so mad with himself that he wanted to scream and tear into something, but he refrained. If he lashed out because of his own stupidity the others…Kagome might start to suspect something, and right now he couldn't risk that, at least not until he came up with a foolproof plan to straighten out this mess that he'd created for himself.
 
“Inuyasha, are you listening to me?” the Monk inquired after realizing that he'd just had an entire conversation with himself.
 
Cracking a single golden orb open, Inuyasha glanced up at him, and then closed his eye once more. “Feh, I was trying not to.”
 
Stooping down beside his friend, Miroku stated, “I was asking your opinion about something serious, you baka.” Knowing that he was not going to get a response, the ex-Houshi continued, “I really need your opinion about something, well someone.”
 
`Oh hell, do I really want to hear this shit?' the disgruntle hanyou thought sullenly.
 
Inuyasha was the last person that Miroku wanted to discuss his marriage with, but he felt he didn't have a choice. He was at the end of his rope where Sango was concerned. So he needed another man's opinion, to see whether he was just blowing things out of proportion or not.
 
He didn't know if he'd get an actual answer from the hanyou, but perhaps saying it out loud would aid him in coming to his own decision.
 
“It's about Sango,” Miroku whispered half heartedly as he sat down Indian style beside the hanyou, his arms shoved comfortably with in the folds of his Monks robes that he still wore.
 
Pushing himself to his feet, Inuyasha stated bluntly, “I don't even want to hear this shit. What happens between you and your wife is between you and your wife, Bouzo!”
 
Grabbing onto the leg of his best friends hakama, Miroku pleaded, “Please Inuyasha, I don't know where else to turn.” Releasing the hanyou, he continued as he looked down shamefully, “I know the happenings of any marriage is private, but…I…” He swallowed hard.
Maybe talking about this out loud wasn't a good idea. “I don't have anyone else to talk to and Sango…Sango pretends like everything is find, when it's not.”
 
Inuyasha mumbled, “Shit,” under his breath as he stared down at the pathetic looking Monk.
 
He'd never seen him look quite so miserable where his wife was concerned. Sure he'd seen him suffering with the pain from his Kazana, when he had it, but this…this was something totally new. The hanyou thought that he and Sango were happy. They never seriously argued about anything. Hell, every time he saw them, they were all smiles, which irritated the hell out of him at times.
 
Rolling his head from side to side as if debating on just what he should do next, Inuyasha groaned painfully as he hung his head. Turning quickly, he sat down in the same spot he'd just vacated without saying a word.
 
“Thank you, my friend,” Miroku stated with a sincere smile as he watched his companion relax back against the tree, his arms resting on his raised knees and his eyes closed.
 
“Feh, just make this quick, I ain't got all goddamn day to listen to you whine.”
 
The monk began nervously, “Has Kagome… Has…Has she ever told you no?”
 
Inuyasha glanced at him curiously. “Kami, Monk, she tells me no all the fucking time! What in the hell are you talking about?”
 
Miroku swallowed, this was definitely going to be harder than he thought. “I'm talking about sexually. Has she ever just blatantly told you, `no', and meant it?
 
Inuyasha stared at him for a moment in disbelief. Here he was thinking that his lecherous ass was actually having a serious problem and he's talking about sex as usual.
 
Shooting to his feet, Inuyasha stated, “Fuck man, do you ever not talk about sex? Here I am thinking that something's actually wrong and you bring up something as stupid as this?” Turning on heels, he began walking away but stopped as Miroku's voice spoke up desperately.
 
“It's been almost 10 months! She won't talk to me! She won't let me touch her! I've tried…I've tried everything, but nothing works anymore!” Sitting back, he hung his head and whispered grudgingly, “I'm scared, Inuyasha. I'm…I'm scared she doesn't want me anymore.”
 
Outside of admitting that he was afraid of dying; that had to be the hardest thing Miroku ever had to openly admit. He was supposed to be the man…the father, the breadwinner but here he was afraid, actually terrified that the woman he loved, didn't love him. It made him feel like a weak pathetic loser.
 
Hanging his head, Inuyasha mumbled, “Shit,” as he turned and made his way back towards Miroku and sat down. The last thing he wanted to do was sit here a listen to this, but how could he in good conscious just walk away, when the sexless lech was having a serious problem.
 
“Make it quick, Monk.”
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
Reinto spared only enough time outside the door to the bathhouse to scent the area in order to make sure that Teela was alone, as he had suspected.
 
Sliding the door open, then quickly closed behind him, he stared around the room avoiding her gaze for as long as possible. He absolutely despised the bitch and to look upon her for a moment longer than absolutely necessary would turn his stomach, of that he was sure.
 
He could smell the human woman, Rin's, scent all over the room, but more than that he could smell the remnants of her anxiety…her tears. He didn't know why, but it pissed him off!
 
What the hell was Teela doing? Who told her it was okay to say a fucking word to the human wench? Was she trying to screw up Susamajii's plans on purpose? What the hell was she thinking when she said whatever it was that she said to the mate of the White Lord?
 
Reinto growled low and balled up his fists as he finally turned towards her. None of that really mattered, did it? The real problem was the distraught woman that he'd run into in the hallway. The problem was the scent of her tears and the fear he could smell oozing off of her when he stated the name, Teela.
 
All of that reminded him of the women in the village that she had gutted then beheaded. It reminded him of the kids…children that she had taunted unmercifully, and without an ounce of remorse or civility.
 
“Susamajii is looking for you,” was all he could manage through clenched teeth.
 
Teela smiled at him, but didn't make a move to exit the water. She didn't have time to cater to the Southern Lord's minuscule needs any longer; she had bigger fish to fry.
 
She'd listened to him, catered to his every little need as if she was some kind of lap dog. She needed him to protect her and keep her living the life that she was accustomed to, but she didn't need him anymore. She had her Sesshomaru back! Susamajii could go straight to hell!
 
“Are you not only stupid, but now deaf too?” the Inu stated heatedly while stepping towards her slowly.
 
Sighing softly, Teela asked as she ran her hand down the side of her face to her neck, “Are you really in that much of a rush to see me naked, Reinto? I've told you already, all you have to do is ask.”
 
“Not even on your luckiest day. Now get out of the fucking water before you seriously piss me off,” Reinto snapped, his fangs bared slightly.
 
Teela giggled girlishly as if it was some kind of game. “Why are you always so serious? That's probably why you still haven't found your mate.”
 
Reinto scoffed derisively. “If all I have to look forward to is psychotic bitches like you, then I'll pass.”
 
“Psychotic?” the Inu bitch questioned, wearing a mask that could've been hurt.
 
Reinto took a step closer. “Do you think I'm stupid, Teela? I know exactly what you've been up to,” he spat hatefully. “And if you think that you'll be able to get away with it, then you're just as naïve as you were the day you were fucking born.”
 
“I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about,” she replied, trying to sound innocent.
 
Reinto squatted down at the edge of the hot spring and just behind the woman. Balancing on the balls of his feet, he whispered, “Do you really think Susamajii doesn't know that you were locked away with Sesshomaru?” Watching her fidget as if she really believed such a thing would get past the Lord of the South, Reinto continued, “Why didn't you report back to Lord Susamajii, Teela? What did you and the Inu Lord discuss?”
 
Reinto really could care less as to what they chatted about or what they did, he just wanted her to know, that he knew, what was going on and regardless of how slick she thought she was, he was always a step ahead.
 
“I really don't think that's any concern of yours,” she replied trying to sound nonchalant. Truth be told, she hadn't thought that anyone with the exception of the bear youkai and the human tramp, pretending to be Sesshomaru's mate, had known she was in there.
 
Reinto laughed, and then his voice turned gravely serious as he leaned in towards her while slowly wrapping his hand around the base of her golden mane. Tightening his hold quickly, he yanked her head back so that she was looking him directly in his eyes. “You're right it's isn't any concern of mine, but if you ruin Lord Susamajii's plans, I will skin you slowly and leave pieces of your body scattered over the four corners of Japan. Do you understand?” he asked, glaring down at her, determination and truth written within his gaze.
 
For a brief moment, Teela had to admit that she was actually scared, but after realizing…remembering that she was in the home of her soon to be mate, she quickly schooled her features. “Get your hands off me! Your threats are as empty as your bed, you fool!”
 
Reinto laughed and yanked his hand back causing the back of her head to hit the floor with a loud thud. Had she been human, he was more than sure her skull would've cracked. “Try me,” he challenged as he stood to his feet and turned away.
 
Standing up quickly, Teela blurted angrily while rubbing the back of her head, “You son of a bitch, you dare lay your hand on me? You're nothing! You're nothing but Susamajii's lap dog, you fucking coward!”
 
Reinto turned slowly and stared at the woman. Perhaps if he hadn't seen her kill helpless women and children with such pleasure… Maybe if he hadn't known that she was nothing more than Susamajii's toilet… Maybe if her aura and scent were a little less putrid to his senses, he would've respected her just a little. “And what does that make you? His whore…his slut…the bitch that sucks his cock? What an important person you must be, ” he finished sarcastically.
 
Teela wore a look of absolute shock. How dare he speak to her in such a way? How dare he make light of her means of survival? How dare he belittle her as if she was less than a common housemaid? No one talked to her like that! No one with common sense anyway.
 
Forgetting exactly whom she was facing, she leaped towards him her claws outstretched before her. Unfortunately a clawed hand wrapped aggressively around her neck stopped her. It held her up off the ground, slowly squeezing the life out of her. She couldn't think straight. All she saw was the hatred in his ghostly blue eyes and the boastful smirk on his face.
 
She hated him…despised him, because he was right…because he was stronger…because, as much as she hated to admit the truth, he had always seen her for who she truly was.
 
“Let…me…go,” she hissed painfully.
 
Pulling her closer, his claws digging into the skin of her neck, Reinto sneered coldly, “Do you know how easy it would be for me to snap your fucking neck? Do you realize how much pleasure I would get from that one act?” Holding her moment longer as if debating whether he should do it or not, he then dropped her to the ground in as manner befitting a bag of garbage. He continued while turning his back to her, daring her to try him one more time, “The next time you're foolish enough to jump at me…will be your last.”
 
Teela sat up, her mind slowly starting to move again, but she'd heard his threat clearly. `That bastard! No one…No one touches me like that! Especially not some sniveling impotent dog!'
 
Pulling the door open, Reinto paused for just a moment and stated, “Oh, and if I were you, I'd stay the hell away from Lord Sesshomaru's mate.” He made sure to stress the word `mate' as he closed the door behind him and proceeded on to his next and more important mission, getting rid of the hanyou and his human pack.
 
Until Next Time…(Your .02cents is greatly appreciated.)
 
FYI: In case anyone missed the alert, chapter 3 of Heart's Landfill has been posted.