InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confrontation II: Trials and Tribulations ❯ No Rest For The Weary ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: As always all characters will be walking that fine line called OOCness. This was the longest wait between updates and for that I truly apologize. My computer crashed on me and to be honest it's still not working properly. I've also decided to go back to school-for those that want to know, I'm double majoring in Psychology and Criminal Justice- so that devours a lot of my free time. Also, my new job does not allow as much free time as my previous jobs have. Please don't consider any of these as excuses; it's the actual truth. Anyway thanks for being so patient and enjoy. Also, this chapter moves pretty fast so try to keep up. (Grins cheekily) One last thing, I want to thank both of my betas, Neko and the Kitchen Elf, for a job well done!!!
 
Recap: Inuyasha is avoiding Kagome because he doesn't want to lie to her about not wanting children. Sango and Miroku just made up. Teela has put the idea in Rin's mind that she's about to be replaced. Rin in return confronts Sesshomaru about loving her. Sesshomaru being the stoic ass he is, refuses to bend to her will; thereby breaking Rin's heart even more. In the end he runs out on her, leaving her on the floor of their bedroom crying with only his four-year-old son to console her. Teela goes to Reinto and tries to tell him about the conversation she heard Sesshomaru and Susamajii having, but he attacks her by choking her until she is unconscious, (deep breath) and that my friends is where this chapter will pick up.
 
Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership to anyone with the exception of Kanomaru, Teela, Joudama, Rinji, Mana, Susamajii, and Reinto.
 
Chapter 24:
 
No Rest For The Weary
 
Reinto could smell the dew gathering on the leaves of the trees around him and on the grass that laced the ground at his feet.
 
He knew morning would be coming soon and it would bring with it a change. Good or bad, he didn't know, but he could feel it in the crevices of his bones; there was a change of some kind just around the bend.
 
Staring into the darkness that was on the opposite side of the clearing, his eyes vacant and devoid of any emotions, he tried to allow the sounds of the crickets and owls to fill his mind, forcing away his befuddled thoughts.
 
He wasn't quite sure how long he'd been sitting here staring at nothing, but he just couldn't make his body move; he couldn't force himself to return to the castle.
 
He'd tried to rid himself of Teela's voice, but the memory of it was just as annoying as she was, if not more. It kept replaying in his mind, over and over again, things, insinuations that he didn't want to hear. Things that he couldn't…refuse to believe.
 
`She lies!'
 
He knew this was an irrefutable truth, but still he couldn't stop a small desperate part himself from wanting…needing to know…to hear what she thought she knew.
 
That part, as insignificant as it was, didn't care that what he heard could very well tear his heart from his body. It didn't care that those little words could destroy his existence. It didn't care what the cost was; it wanted to know…it needed to know.
 
It was that small insignificant part of his psyche that had forced him to bring her body with him as he disappeared into the night, trying desperately to distance himself from the Southern Lord.
 
He wasn't quite sure where he was or how long he'd been here, but he was waiting patiently for her to wake up. Not because he wanted to, but because, at this moment, he just couldn't make himself stand up and walk away from her.
 
`What if there is truth to what she says? What if…What if this is simply a game the she's playing to get back at me for challenging her. What if…'
 
There were too many what ifs and not enough answers.
 
Staring down at her body that lay a few feet away from him in a heap, Reinto thought about waking her up on numerous occasions, but each time he vacillated. It was not because he was afraid she'd attack him, but because he was afraid of the words…the lies that would roll freely off her tongue.
 
Staring up at the trees that surrounded him, he sighed lightly. If she said what he thought she was going to say, what would that really mean? Was he supposed to just believe her and act on it? Was he supposed rely on his loyalty and faith in the Southern Lord and dismiss what fell from her lips?
 
`If she tells me that…that the youkai that saved me had… had actually…had actually killed…' he couldn't finish that thought; it was just too…too preposterous!
 
Susamajii had saved him; he'd taken him into his own home, he taught him to protect himself and the ones he cared for, he'd fed him, and made sure that he was educated! Susamajii as wicked as he was, had somehow filled that spot that his own blood father once held.
 
Shaking his head, the Inu Youkai thought heatedly, `No, there is no way! I know Lord Susamajii is guilty of a lot of things, but he couldn't have done something like that! He couldn't have! Whatever she's going to say, it's all lies! All lies, damn it!'
 
Still, he couldn't make himself get up and walk away. Something kept him glued to the downed tree trunk he was sitting on. Something buried deep within his chest…his very soul, would not allow him leave.
 
Hearing a soft moan come from the area where Teela was laying, Reinto shut his thoughts off and stared at her as her head rolled slowly from right to left and her eyes fluttered open.
 
He could tell by the look on her face that she was confused, perhaps even shocked, that she was still alive.
 
Pushing herself up slowly with one hand while she rubbed her neck with her the other, she mumbled, “Where…where?”
 
Standing up, the blue-eyed Inu youkai took a step towards her and stopped. “What lies do you have to tell, Teela?” he asked callously.
 
“Wha…what ?” she replied, staring up at him with a confused expression on her mud smeared face.
 
“Earlier, you were saying something… Earlier…” he stopped, stared at her, refused to proceed any further, otherwise he'd feel as if he was begging her for something. And he, Reinto, did not beg for anything!
 
Teela looked at him, and then around at their surroundings as recognition slowly fell over her like a blanket. Pushing herself up off the ground slowly, she turned to face him, her only desire to gouge out his eyes and rake her claws across his chest, but she stopped herself by remembering that though this was not a part of her initial plan; it could still work to her benefit. After all, if he wasn't interested in what she had to say, he could've very well killed her.
 
Looking down at the ground as if she was a wounded puppy, Teela sniffled lightly, knowing that she'd have to find some tears to go with her sniffling if he were to believe her.
 
“I…I…” She sniffled again. “How could you, Reinto? I know you don't trust me, but I came to you. I came to you as a friend,” she whimpered, the first tear falling slowly down her cheek.
 
Reinto stared at her in disbelief, but he did not speak right away. It was taking everything in him to not run over there and shake the living shit out of her. How dare she stand there and cry as if he'd hurt her! After all the people she killed… After all the lives and families she'd left broken… She was in the same boat as he, she had no right to cry, whimper, or beg, regardless of the reason!
 
“Speak, Teela. My patience wears thinner by the moment!” he growled viciously, his hands clenched at his sides.
 
She turned away from him, her arms crossed underneath her breast, a gloating smirk on her face. `Oh, I'll speak Reinto and then you'll kill Susamajii and hopefully he'll kill you. Then I'll take care of that little human bitch once and for all. Three birds with one stone, ' she thought, holding back a chuckle. `I couldn't have planned it better if I tried.'
 
Forcing herself to get back into character, Teela started slowly, methodically, “I overheard Sesshomaru-sama and Susamajii talking this afternoon. Sesshomaru-sama…” she stuttered, her voice quivering as if she was scared, maybe even nervous. “Susamajii… I had never seen Susamajii, tremble before, Reinto-sama. But as soon as your father's name was mentioned…” She turned to face him, her eyes downcast. “Reinto, Sesshomaru asked him… He asked him if he waited for your father's body to grow cold before he took you.”
 
“Shut…up,” Reinto whispered, his voice barely audible. “Just…just shut up.”
 
Teela fell to her knees in a low bow, adding to her flawless performance. “Lord Reinto, please believe me! I would never lie to you. You know how much I care for Susamajii, but if he has wronged you… If he stole your mother and father from you, you deserve to know. You deserve a chance to find out the truth,” she finished, proud at herself for adding `lord' to his title.
 
Reinto stepped back, away from her words, but they surrounded him, engulfed his sense of right and wrong. He couldn't think, could barely see straight. “You lie, Teela!” he shouted, his fist clenched so tightly that his claws dug into the flesh of his palms. “You lie! Susamajii would never… He couldn't have! He saved me, damn it! He…he…”
 
Standing to her feet, Teela gloated inconspicuously as she watched Reinto turn slowly in a tight circle, his face filled with emotions. She loved the anger and rage that rolled off of his aura in waves. The confusion… The unadulterated uncertainty, which wrapped around him, covering him like a thick blinding fog.
 
Turning away from her, he stared into the forest as the voice of the only attacker he had paid attention to on that faithful night swam through his head, mixed with the words spewed by the viper behind him.
 
Reinto didn't want to believe her! He didn't want to listen to anything else she had to say, but the voice…that damn voice that still haunted his dreams... “Masotako, your reign comes to an end this night.”
 
Reinto tried to step away from the voice, but it was all around him, repeating…constantly repeating those damn words!
 
“Susamajii, he wouldn't… It…It couldn't have been…” he murmured softly. Stepping into the darkness, his mind blank, his eyes blind, and his emotions numb, he heard a voice hiss coldly, “He took your mother and your father. He robbed you of the life that was supposed to be yours. He took your land and home. Like a thief in the night, he robbed you of your self worth and made you into a monster...a murder…an assassin.”
 
It could have been the wind, it could have been his imagination, or it could have been Teela; he didn't know, but the possible truth in the words was a harsh thing to swallow.
 
Simonkal of Inuy
 
Inuyasha stomped through the lower floor of the manor, his head down, his hands shoved deeply within the sleeves of his haori.
 
`Where the hell is everyone? Why hasn't anyone cooked breakfast yet?' he thought as his stomach growled for the umpteenth time since he'd awakened.
 
He knew it was well past the waking hour, especially for Sesshomaru, but even he hadn't so much as poked his head out of his bedroom. Stomping into the foyer, the hanyou stared angrily up the stairs at nothing, mentally demanding that someone, anyone, get up and fix him something to eat!
 
`Bunch of lazy fuckers,' he thought heatedly.
 
Sure, he could've easily gone outside and caught something, but he'd still need to cook it. He knew he could have also gone upstairs and woken Kagome, but she looked so peaceful, so beautiful, laying there holding Joudama to her chest. Besides, hadn't he been previously avoiding her?
 
Moving towards the steps, the hanyou started to shout something, but stopped when he heard a door in the distance slide open slowly.
 
Watching anxiously for the culprit to come into view, he quieted his mind and stilled his resolve. `Lazy bastards!'
 
Stepping back as an unfamiliar scent floated towards him, the hanyou stared up the stairs as the silver haired demon strode into view.
 
“You must be the half-breed,” Susamajii stated mildly, as he slowly began to descend the steps.
 
Inuyasha bared his fangs at the demon and took another step away from him. “And you must be the prick that thought he was important enough to show up here unannounced!”
 
Susamajii chuckled as he glanced around the foyer, avoiding Inuyasha's gaze as if it were the plague. Chuckling dryly, he finally replied, “Such a waste of space.” Smoothing out the impeccable material of his richly colored kimono, he finished, “There is a reason there are no hanyous in the South; would you like me to tell you that reason?”
 
“What the fuck are you babbling about?”
 
Stepping towards the doors that led to the courtyard, Susamajii swung both doors open causing a loud boom to echo through the house. “Your name is Inuyasha, right? You're the bastard brother of Lord Sesshomaru, are you not?”
 
The hanyou scowled and growled low, but didn't reply. He knew this demon's questions were all rhetorical because he had a fucking nose!
 
Breathing in deeply, Susamajii glanced over his shoulder at the hanyou, his eyes glistening with an unreadable expression. Turning back to the courtyard before him, he inhaled deeply, and then stated in a matter of fact tone, “Lord Sesshomaru has been gone for some time now. Do you think, Inuyasha, do you think that he would care at all if I skinned you and left your bleeding carcass right here for him to find?”
 
Inuyasha shifted so that he was standing between the demon and the stairs that led up to his mate and pack members. Taking on a defensive stance, he growled, “I've taken down bigger assholes than you, Susa-fucker, so bring it if you're feeling lucky!”
 
Susamajii glanced over his shoulder at the boorish hanyou, his expression nonchalant-bland, but he did not respond. He simply stared at him with contempt.
 
He'd awakened with the lustful taste for blood in his mouth, and the desire to feel his claws buried deep within the bowels of someone or something. The feeling itself was an insatiable thing. It beckoned to him, whispered licentious words of love in his ears, and tickled the backs of his earlobes. This feeling, it was like an unquenchable thirst…a ravenous mate.
 
It could have been that damn conversation he'd had with Sesshomaru, or it could've been that he knew…just knew that his plan was not going to work out the way he had planned it. Or it could've been both, he didn't know and, at this moment, he didn't care.
 
Knowing this, any other man would have cut their losses and high tailed it back to home base, but he was not a man. He just couldn't bring himself to leave! He couldn't admit defeat! Even though the members of his party had seemingly disappeared on him… Even though he knew Teela had ulterior motives… Even though he knew that all Sesshomaru had to do was utter a simple phrase to Reinto, he still couldn't turn tail and run!
 
No, he owed it to his ancestors; he owed it to himself to erase the Inu Lord from the face of the planet and his offspring and human mate along with him!
 
`If I attack now, if I kill his mate and his pup now while he's away, I could disappear back into the South and wait for him. I could gather my army; better yet, I could defeat him myself, on my land, and in front of my men! While he's mentally weak, emotionally broken, and suffering, I could kill him!'
 
His fists clenched tightly within the oversized sleeves of his kimono, Susamajii tried to control his need to feed, his need to destroy and take what did not belong to him. “If I wanted to, I could kill everyone in this house before you took your next breath. Did you know that?”
 
Inuyasha reached for his sword, but found it missing. `Fuck, it's upstairs! Fuck!' Lowering his head, he challenged, “So what are you waiting for? Don't talk about it, do it. Why stand here and tell me about it?”
 
Staring out into the courtyard, the Southern Lord gazed at the wall that separated the forest from the Western Lord's well-manicured yard. “If I give you a head start then the chase will be that much more fun, don't you think?”
 
`This fucker is crazy! I need to get to Tetsusaiga! I need to get Kagome and the others out of here! Fuck, Sesshomaru, where are you?' Stepping up on the first step leading upstairs while still facing the back of the demon lord, Inuyasha watched as the Southern Lord methodically closed the doors and turned to face him.
 
“There are 2 toddlers, 3 human women, and 1 human man upstairs, right? So what are you waiting for, half-breed?” Susamajii asked mildly enough, a sinister smirk on his face. He saw no need to mention the fox youkai because he was too young to be any kind of threat.
 
Inuyasha stared at the youkai, not sure if he was serious or just bullshitting him. `This fucker can't be serious! He can't really be planning on fucking attacking us here…like this…in Sesshomaru's home!'
 
“One,” Susamajii started as he turned away from the hanyou and headed into the sitting room, his claws trailing sickening along the wall, while his long mesmerizing hair trailed behind him.
 
Not sparing another moment, the hanyou turned tail and took the stairs in one giant leap. `This fucker is crazy,' he thought, heading towards Sesshomaru's suite.
 
Busting through the door, he quickly eyed Rin who was sitting on the floor near the open balcony looking as if she hadn't slept a wink. She was gently rubbing the stark black hairs of Kano's head that was positioned comfortably in her lap.
 
“Where the fuck is Sesshomaru?”
 
Rin only looked his way for a brief moment before she turned her attention back to the outside world, almost as if she hadn't seen nor heard him ask a question.
 
Stepping closer to her, he asked again, “Rin, where the fuck is my brother?”
 
She still didn't answer him.
 
Knowing he had no time to waste, Inuyasha stooped down next to her and forcibly turned her so that she was facing him. “What the hell is wrong with you? Where's Sesshomaru?”
 
“Daddy left last night,” a small voice whispered from her lap. “We've been waiting for him to come back, but he hasn't yet. He's taking a really long time.”
 
Inuyasha heard, “Two”, being said by the crazy fuck downstairs. `Shit, I don't have time for this!' Pulling Kanomaru out of Rin's lap, he demanded quickly, “I need the two of you to come with me now, okay?”
 
“Why?” Kano queried, though he did move towards his uncle.
 
Rin still did not budge;it was like she was in a world of her own.
 
Staring at her, Inuyasha sighed, not understanding what was going on or why, but knowing he didn't have the time to figure it out. “Rin, come on, damn it! We need to go!”
 
She still didn't look at him.
 
Growling, the hanyou turned his attention back to his nephew. “Kano, once we leave this room, I want you to stay by my side until we get to your Aunt Kagome, okay?”
 
Sensing his uncle's anxiety and the slowly rising aura of someone else, the man that his father wouldn't let him see, Kanomaru nodded agreeably.
 
Staring back up at Rin, Inuyasha realized that she actually had no intention of moving from where she was. `What the fuck is wrong with her? She acting like one of those zombie things Kagome told me about.'
 
Scooting over towards her, Inuyasha picked her up in one fluid motion, as he heard the demon downstairs say, “Three.” Tossing her over his shoulder, he grabbed Kanomaru's hand and headed towards the door.
 
Running back into the hall, he quickly made his way past the stairs.
 
“Hurry, half-breed, your time is almost up,” Susamajii called, staring up at the older hanyou who was carrying what must have been Sesshomaru's mate over his shoulder, while clutching the forearm of a shirtless little hanyou with dark hair and golden eyes.
 
“Uncle, who is that? What is he talking about? Are we playing hiding and seek?” Kano asked as he tried desperately to take in everything he could about the youkai.
 
“Miroku, Sango, get the fuck up! It's time go!” he shouted as he kicked their door and proceeded past it to his room. Refusing to even spare a moment to knock, Inuyasha kicked the door down.
 
“What are you doing?” Kagome exclaimed, sitting up in the bed, Joudama clutched at her side.
 
“Get the fuck up, we got to go now!” the hanyou shouted.
 
“What? Why?” she queried sleepily.
 
“Because there is a crazy ass fucking youkai downstairs that wants to kill us, wench! Now get the fuck up!”
 
Noticing that her husband was carrying Rin over his shoulder and had Kano's hand clutched within his own, Kagome wiped her face with her hand and started to climb out of bed. “Where're Shippo, Miroku, and Sango? Where's Sesshomaru? Why are you carrying Rin like that?”
 
Dumping Rin on to the futon, Inuyasha reached over to the other side of the bed and grabbed his sword. “I don't know what the fuck is wrong with her, but she's not acting like herself,” he muttered quickly while unsheathing his fang.
 
Stooping down so that he was in front of Kanomaru, Inuyasha told the boy, “Listen to your auntie and make sure that you help her get everybody to safety, okay?”
 
Kanomaru nodded, but truthfully he hadn't a clue as to what was going on.
 
“Inuyasha?” Kagome called, tying her sash around her waist. “Is this for real? What's going on?”
 
“I already told you, that Susamajii fuck that Sesshomaru let stay here has decided that since my prick of a brother isn't here, he wants to kill us!” Stepping towards the door, he continued, “Just get them out of here safely, okay. I'll come and find you when I'm done here.”
 
“But… I… How…”
 
Looking at her, his eyes softening dramatically, he beseeched, “Please Kagome, this isn't a joke. I need you to do whatever you have to do to protect them. I don't think he's after us as much as he is after him,” he finished nodding his head towards Kano.
 
“Five,” could be heard being said throughout the house.
 
“Shit!” the hanyou hissed, and then yelled back, “What the fuck happened to four?” Stepping out of the room, he finished, “I'm going to try to get him outside and then I want you all to head out the back door.”
 
“Inuyasha, what's going on?” Miroku asked, stepping into the hallway followed by his wife.
 
“Who's counting?” Sango questioned. “I know they're not playing hide and seek this early in the morning.”
 
“Look, I ain't repeating myself again, so everybody listen up!” the dog prince shouted. “The prick downstairs wants us and especially Rin and Kano dead! I can't find my fucking brother, so I'm going to have to hold him off while you guys escape, got it?”
 
No one really understood what was going on or why, but they could tell that the hanyou was telling the truth by the sheer frustration on his face and the manner in which he gripped the Tetsusaiga-not to mention the nasty aura that was floating up from the first floor.
 
“Inuyasha, this makes absolutely no sense!” the ex-monk proclaimed as his wife walked around them and into the room that Inuyasha had just stepped out of. “There's no possible way that we can escape!”
 
“What's absolute nonsense is that you're all sitting around here with your thumbs shoved up your asses after I've told you that this fuck wants us and my fucking nephew dead!” Inuyasha shouted back, his temper rising with each moment that passed.
 
Stepping in between the two men, Kagome interjected, “Arguing isn't going to do a damn thing! The bottom line is we need to get out of here.” Looking at Inuyasha, she asked, “Are you going to be okay?”
 
Leaning down, the hanyou whispered, “I can take the fucker, just make sure that you stay safe, okay?”
 
Kissing him lightly, she replied, “I will, but you better make sure you find us no matter where we are.”
 
“Your time is up!” said the voice from somewhere down the hall.
 
Staring over his mate's head at the remaining members of his family, Inuyasha tried to look confident. “Once I push him back far enough or either outside, I want you all to make a run for it, okay?”
 
They all nodded, though hesitantly.
 
“Uncle Inuyasha, where's my daddy? Why isn't he here?” Kano asked from his spot on the futon near his mother, who was now sitting up staring aimlessly at the wall in front of her.
 
“I don't know, pup, but he'll find you. I promise.” Feeling the demon growing closer by the moment, Inuyasha spared one last moment to stare at his family before he stepped out into the hallway.
 
Taking off at a swift pace, the hanyou forcefully blocked out all thoughts of doubt because this was one battle that he could not afford to lose.
 
Until Next Time…(Your .02 cents are greatly appreciated)