InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dance with me ❯ Rivalry and Chivalry ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dance with me
By: hikage-mitsukai
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters, I only wish I did. But, still its fun to terrorize them!
 
 
Chapter 1: Rivalry & Chivalry
Laughter echoed through the large gym as 5 girls stood in middle of the floor stretching. The gym was empty except for them, all dressed in shorts or pants and tank-tops.
“Jeeze, I wonder what is taking Kagome so long?” asked one of the girls as she bent over, placing her palms flat on the polished wood floor. She checked her reflection in the floor and pouted her lips at the vision. Some of her red glossy hair fell over her shoulder. She reached up her hand and pushed it back before standing up to bring her left leg behind her back.
“I know, it isn't like Kagome to be late for practice, I wonder if maybe she had another accident.” Said another girl, then she smiled wickedly at her friends. Everyone laughed.
“I wouldn't surprise me, I mean its not like you see a girl with a big red stain on her…” But she was cut off when she heard the door slam closed and footsteps hitting hard on the gym floor.
All the girls squinted in the bright light of the sunny gym. A girl with long black hair that was neatly pulled back in a ponytail walked across the gym. She was wearing a dark pink baby-doll t-shirt that read `love me' and a pair of matching pink track pants. Her white shoes, made a squeaking sound with every step. She carried a blue gym bag over her shoulder, and a small blue and silver stereo in her left hand.
“Well, look what the cat dragged in.” Said a girl with short black hair pulled into a half ponytail on the side of her head. She was wearing a yellow tank-top and a pair of light green shorts that barely came to her thigh.
Kagome smiled at the group of girls as she walked past them to set her bag down and plug in the stereo. She didn't say anything, she just walked past them.
The smiles the girls wore when she entered soon vanished and were replaced by looks of concern.
“I wonder what happened?” asked the girl with red hair to the girl in the shorts. Giving her friends a look as if to say `as-if-we-already-didn't-know'.
“I don't know, but I bet it has something to do with her idiot boyfriend.”
“Hush! You two are the worst gossipers I know.” Scolded a girl with her long black hair pulled back in a messy bun.
“Come on Sango, you know just as well as anybody their relationship has been on the rocks for a while.”
“Ayame is right, it's not like they were the best couple ever. I mean he was kind of a jerk to Kagome.”
Sango gave them a look of annoyance, and straightened her shirt. She turned pretending to stretch her back muscles to get a look at her friend.
Kagome was plugging in the portable stereo, but her hands seemed to be shaking terribly.
Sango frowned and turned back. “You think that could really be it? Do you think they finally broke up?”
“I seems like it, I can't remember a time when I've seen Kagome this sad. Except when she was 6 and her dog got run over.”
Sango looked at the girl her eyebrows disappearing into her bangs. She turned and walked toward the girl. “Hey, Kags? You alright?” she said as she approached the girl.
Kagome looked startled, as she turned her head to the side to look at her friend. Her eyes a chocolate brown seemed to be tinged with a slight red. She smiled weakly at Sango. “Yeah, I'm fine. Why? Do I look like crap or something?”
Sango returned her weak smile and reassured her. “You like fine Kagome. But, that's not what I'm talking about. And you know what I'm referring to.” She said crossing her arms over her chest.
The other two girls walked over and stood next to Sango. Ayame leaned against her tall friend. “If you want to talk about it, we're here for you.” she said in what she assumed was her most concerned voice.
Kagome plugged in the radio finally and stood up. “You, guys I'm fine, really.”
Her friend frowned at her. She continued to smile at them reassuringly. But, the girls couldn't be fooled that easily. “Maybe it isn't such a good idea to practice today.” Rin said walking forward to wrap her arms around her friend.
“No, really you guys. I'm fine, let's just get practice started.” She smiled bending over to push play on the CD player. “get into your position girls, you know where you are.”
The girls reluctantly went to their places. Sango and Ayame in the back with Rin and Kagome in the front. The music echoed into the gym, and the girls all stood with their heads bowed as the music started. It was a light poppy tune but had somewhat of a hip-hop quality to it, and the girls seemed to know what to do.
A woman's voice came over the speakers:
Let's Get Retarded, in here...
Followed by a man's voice rapping. The girls set into motion, moving gracefully, with pops and snaps of their arms and waists. They never missed a beat.
And the base keep runnin' runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and
runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and runnin', and...
The man's voice deepened and the girls moved about more fluidly and, as the beat picked up.
In this context, there's no disrespect, so, when I bust my rhyme, you break your necks.
Each girl snapped her neck to the side and then set her feet. They all moved their shoulders in unison to the music. Then held a hand with five fingers to count down.
We got five minutes for us to disconnect, from all intellect collect the rhythm effect. Obstacles are inefficient, follow
your intuition, free your inner soul and break away from tradition.

Coz when we beat out, girl it's pullin without. You wouldn't believe how we wow shit out.

Burn it till it's burned out. Turn it till it's turned out. Act up from north, west, east, south.
They moved their bodies like sheets of silk that would form to the music, their hips rolling they went into the chorus.
Everybody, everybody, let's get into it.
Get stupid.
Get retarded, get retarded, get retarded.

Let's get retarded (ha), let's get retarded in here. Let's get retarded (ha), let's get retarded in here.

Let's get retarded (ha), let's get retarded in here. Let's get retarded (ha), let's get retarded in here.

Yeah.
Coming out of the chorus, each girl crouched down and jump kicked into the air on her queue, which was right after the girl before her. They moved into the next verse with a smooth transition.
Lose control, of body and soul.
Don't move too fast, people, just take it slow.

Don't get ahead, just jump into it.

Ya'll here a body, two peices to it.

Get stutted, get stupid.

You'll want me body people will walk you through it.

Step by step, like you're into new kid.

Inch by inch with the new solution.

Trench men hits,
The music died away and each girl seemed surprise as they went on with the next few moves.
“What the?” Sango exclaimed turning toward the stereo. There stood a girl about the age of 17 with black hair pulled back into a stubby ponytail. She was wearing a pair of hip hugging blue jeans and a belly shirt that exposed most of her torso. A pink gem sparkled from the center of her stomach. She was swinging around the cord to the stereo, which she had obviously unplugged. A small triumphant smirk painted her lips.
Kagome just stared at her, for a moment, unable to find her voice. She could hear her breath coming in short pants, although she really hadn't exerted herself.
“I guess no one told you losers.” Said the girl placing her hand on her hip.
“Yeah, they told us… Told us you look like a slut!” Ayame said leaning over to elbow a giggling Rin.
“Yeah, real cute. But, at least I'm not the one who is hanging out with a loser.” She answered back, taking a step toward Kagome. She surveyed her in a circling manner. “Isn't that right… Loser?” She said mockingly sympathy.
Kagome closed her eyes, not wanting to deck her.
“What are you talking about, your the one who's a loser.” Sango said putting her hand in an `L' shape on her forehead. Ayame and Rin laughed again, and Sango smiled.
“I guess you haven't heard about, poor little Kagome's problem then.” She said in a high pitched voice, feigning a pout.
Kagome opened her eyes and looked at the girl incredulously, then at her friends, who looked at her in return with asking glances. She turned back to her “Now, is not a good time Kagura. Can't you see we're practicing? Or are you just too skanky to see that?” She said crossing her arms. She smiled at Kagura's shocked look. Normally Kagome wouldn't say much to the girl, but today was just not the day to be messing with her. She could hear her friends laughing in the background.
Kagura regained her composure and made a clicking sound with her toungue. "You, know its really a pity you and your boyfriend couldn't work things out." She said smirking.
Kagome's face hardend and she frowned at her. It took her a moment to find the strenghth to come up with a retort, but Sango had already beat her to it.
"Why don't you just go back to your snobby rich school, and flush your dumb head down one of the toilets?" then she paused "Oh, wait I don't think they allow you to flush that much toilet paper down the tube at once." She finished, with a playfull slug from Rin.
"Oh, why don't you just go back to where you came from you urchin, nobody wants to be around your poor smelling trailor trash ass anyways." Kagura spat out.
Rin and Ayame had to restrain her as she attempted to launch herself onto the girl. "Come on! Bring it on you stupid bi!" But she was cut off by Kagome.
"Kagura, just go away, your interupting our practice. Now you better get out of here before I call campus security and have you escorted off." She said with an unrivaled air of patience.
Kagura simply smiled and dropped the cord. "Ok, I'll go." she said walking to the door her bottom swaying with each step. At the door she stopped and turned back to Kagome "Oh, and by the way, won't you say hi to Menomaru for me?" Then she let the door slam closed behind her as she let out a menical laugh.
Kagome looked after the girl, tears gathering in her eyes. She blinked them away as she was joined by her companions.
"That stupid wench doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut does she?" Rin piped up.
"Yeah, one of these days shes gonna get it and then she'll be sorry." Ayame added.
"I'd love to be the one to give it to her." Sango commented punching the air "right in her skanky mouth!"
They all laughed except Kagome, who buried her face in her hands to hide her now tear stained cheeks. A soft inexcapable sob brought the other girls attention to her.
"Kags? Hey, Kags are you ok?" Rin said coming over to comfort her friend.
"Whats wrong Kagome? Why are you crying all of the sudden?" Ayame said sliding her arm around the crying girls shoulder.
"Don't take what she has to say to heart, what does she know anyways?" Sango said crossing her arms across her chest and scowling at the door. Sango never was one to get emotional, she grew up with her father and brother who ran a dojo downtown. Her mother died when she was 6, she always carried a picture of her in a special locket that was her mother's before she died.
Kagome looked up surprised, as tears ran down her reddend face. Then after and intense moment where she looked like she wanted to die, her sobs sufficed and she began to giggle. Lightly, inaudiably at first, but then it grew to fill the entire gym. The others looked at her confused. When she could finally breathe again she managed to say "I'm not crying over what she said, I'm not even upset about the rumors that have been flying around about me." Sango gave Ayame and Rin a pointed look, as they avoided her gaze. "Its just that, I think I really love him. I think I really loved Menomaru." she said between sniffles.
They all looked at one another, not knowing what to say for a moment. Then Sango brightened. "Everyone but Kagome, over here for a team meeting." She said motioning for them to follow her, just outside of Kagome's range of hearing. They all huddled togather, leaving a semi-pouting Kagome behind. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking girls?" she said giving each of them a knowing look.
They both grinned at each other then at Sango "Lets do it!" they said in unison.
Sango nodded and stood up walking back over to Kagome and placing an arm around her shoulder. "We've decided that you need to just relax and have a good time with your friends tonight." she said steering her toward the door. Kagome gave her a shocked look and began to protest but Sango cut her off "I don't wanna hear I have homework or I have to clean the house for my mom, tonight is a girls night on the town!"
Whooping hollers came from Rin and Ayame as they fell in behind the first pair of girls, bags slung over their shoulders.
They all exited the gym into the fading early summer sunshine, and walked toward Sango's green jeep. Rin and Ayame threw the bags in the back and jumped in through the topless back. Kagome hesitated for a moment. "Wait Sango, I don't know if this is such a good idea, I mean what if Menomaru is at the club?"
"Well, so what if he is." She simply stated, giving her a slight shrug of the shoulders. Kagome didn't look convinced. Sango sighed and turned toward her friend. "Look, if you go maybe you'll find some really cute guy, who has a nice car, a nice butt, and a big bank account. I'm sure he'll blow old whats-his-face right out of the water." she said reassuringly.
Kagome thought it over for a minute and then smiled. "Alright, maybe your right. But, I just want to make it clear to all of you! I'm not in the market for a new boyfriend. I don't want you guys trying to set me up with the first cheeseball you see." She said jokingly serious casting a hard look at the innocent faces in the back of the jeep.
"Ah." Ayame complained "and here I was ready to set you up with Sango's brother." she giggled and Sango laughed heartily as Kagome's smile widend. She walked around the front of the car and got into the passenger seat. Sango got in and put the key in the ignition and started the car with a roar. A poppy punk-rock tune played on the stereo from the burned CD and the girls began to sing along.
He was a skater boy
She said see you later boy

He wasn't good enough for her

She had a pretty face

But her head was up in space

She needed to come back down to earth
Sango put on her dark framed sun glasses and pulled out the parking space. She gave a small laugh as she looked in the back seat to see Ayame and Rin moving their shoulders in time with the beat. "God, I need to get new friends."
Kagome laughed, and helped on the next verse, elbowing Sango to join in. Sango smiled and shrugged her shoulders and joined in the singing, as they pulled out of the school parking lot. They were headed down the road wind whipping their hair. Sango leaned over to Kagome and said quietly enough that the girls in back could not hear it. "Well, I guess what they say is true."
"Oh yeah, whats that?"
"Chivalry is really dead and there really is no prince in shining armor to come rescue you from the tower."
Kagome laughed, softly and sighed "Maybe your right." She turned to look out the window as trees passed her by "I just wish you were wrong." she said to herself.
 
 
AN: So, what did you think of my first chapter of my first fanfic? Was it too boring? Too long? I'd really love to hear your critiscms and for you guys to let me know what I can do better. Thanks alot for reading it! Oh, and don't forget to R&R!