InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing with Scissors ❯ Baby Books and Traffic Jams ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Sesshoumaru drove around the side of the house and pulled into the garage. His mother's Mercedes and father's Lexus were both therein, leading him to the conclusion that they didn't have any meetings or charity dinners that evening. There was a time in his life, long ago, when his favorite thing was to have both his parents home, even if it meant sharing their attention with Inuyasha. Lately though, living with his father had been nearly intolerable. The elder Taisho saw Kagome's presence and her unsightly automobile as a daily reminder of his will thwarted, and Sesshoumaru knew the very idea was a perpetual insult, under his skin, itching constantly. It was a further testament to the man's intractability that he continued with his ill humor—Kagome had been quiet, polite, and friendly around his parents. Perhaps that was the explanation, he reflected. His father was annoyed at being deprived a concrete, rational reason to hate the woman.
 
Now home, the promise of solitude was welcome. His day at the office had begun later than it typically did; he had taken Rin to school that morning, and she had convinced him to stay so she could read to him. The books were short, all centered on the phonics of several three-and four-letter, short vowel sound words, with titles like The Hat and Ben. There was an important conference call that morning, but Rin's melodious, childish voice kept him nearly an hour. Once at work the never ending stream of appointments and calls, all featuring various levels of incompetence and irritation, continuously interrupted his attempts at his usual Thursday reading of Scarlet Letter'd, making the time drag and his head ache. He had spent an hour at the dojo after work, successfully clearing his mind, and now he had no desire but to retreat to his bedroom suite, cocktail and The Missing Link in hand.
 
On his way to the drawing room, he was met by Kagome, looking disheveled and lost, in the corridor.
 
“Hi…I…you…your mom said I could…letmyselfin,” she stammered. “I just came by to get Rin. She came over after dinner with her baby book, and now it's almost eight and she should really be getting ready for bed.”
 
Sesshoumaru studied her and, despite the awkward guiltiness she exuded, saw Kagome had a warm vitality he suddenly found engaging. “I heard voices coming from the direction of my mother's sitting room. It's down this hall, to the right, but instead of going to the kitchen, continue past my father's study.”
 
She smiled gratefully. “Thanks. No offense, but your house is obnoxiously large.” She noticed the paper under his arm. “The Missing Link. Oh yeah…you read it for the editorials. Is that like how some men read Playboy for the articles?” she teased. “I'm on to you, Sesshoumaru,” she whispered, closing the distance between them and coyly looking up at him through long eyelashes. “I know the real reason you pick up The Missing Link.”
 
He paled inwardly, trying his best to maintain composure. “Oh? And why is that?”
 
“I bet you are addicted to the Sudoku Challenge.” The Sudoku Challenge was located next to the crossword, featuring three Sudoku puzzles, of increasing difficulty, with a time limit, under which half the general population should be able to solve each. “I can just see you with your stop watch, making sure you're above the average.”
 
Sighing he replied, “You've found me out.”
 
She brushed past him and made her way toward the library. “Later,” she called, smiling over her shoulder.
 
He walked to the bar in the drawing room, took a lowball glass from the cabinet, and poured himself three fingers of Jameson Gold Reserve. He inhaled deeply, enjoying the complex oak and vanilla aromas of the whiskey, and walked to his rooms, distracted by the thought that he no longer found Kagome's flirtatious familiarity quite so abhorrent.
 
Twenty minutes later, showered and wearing his favorite silk pajama pants, Sesshoumaru settled into the leather couch in his study. He sipped the amber liquid and let it swirl around his tongue, immediately relaxing. Scarlet beckoned, but he forced himself to do all three Sudoku challenges first, completing them in a fraction of the allotted time. Finally gratification, long delayed.
 
Scarlet Letter'd: Advice from the Soapbox of the Damned
 
Dear Scarlet, I'm a forty year old woman, married for nineteen years to a wonderful man. My problem is that I have never had an orgasm during sex with him. I've faked it for our entire marriage. I don't necessarily feel guilty, but he recently got a prescription for Viagra, and I thought since we will be having sex more now, I want to start climaxing during it. But how do I tell him after this long and not hurt his feelings? I play with myself regularly and know what I like. How do I get him to do those things? Signed, Forty Year Old Faker
 
Dear Faker, Hmmm…a toughie. As regular readers know already, one of my mantras is Honesty—with oneself, with one's partners. In this case however, I'm not sure it is the best course. I think hurt feelings are almost unavoidable. At least finding out, after years of thinking otherwise, that my partner was unsatisfied would definitely throw me off my game. Of course, you have every right to a satisfying sex life, and I'm happy you've decided to include your husband in this goal, but the dilemma is achieving it and keeping your marriage intact. My first advice is to stop faking. Tonight. After several times of no “orgasms”, tell your husband that you are having “a bit of difficulty climaxing and let's try something new”. Now is the time for honesty. Tell him what you want, the things that feel good and where. Another mantra of mine is Women—You Are Responsible For Your Own Orgasms! Men don't have girl parts. They find them a mystery. You have to give him feedback—and not of the false moaning and screaming variety. Try experimenting with positionsand you may want to hold off on masturbation for a while, or at a minimum try to drastically vary your self-love routine. You may be a victim of your success—you can please yourself so perfectly, with such precision, that the comparatively fumbling attempts of your husband prove futile. At least you know what gets you off! You are ahead of too many women in that regard. Communication is key…this could ultimately strengthen your marriage. Good Luck!
 
Dear Scarlet, Will you please give a few pointers about blowjob etiquette? I've been dating this girl for a few months. Last night she was giving me head, and I shot my wad in her mouth. It felt great, so you can imagine I was shocked when she started spitting and yelling at me. I mean she was super-pissed. Like wants to break up with me pissed. She said I should have warned her. I'm pretty sure I didn't read any rules anywhere about this. I apologized, but also made the mistake of saying that I didn't see what the big deal was. Did I violate some huge No-No? If yes, I'd like to know so I don't do it again to some other girl in the future. Signed, Ignorant About Blowjob Manners
 
Dear Ignorant, Did you violate some unwritten rule of blowjob propriety? My opinion hardly matters, simply because your girlfriend, or perhaps ex-girlfriend, believes you did in fact do just that. And while apologies are wonderful, you did yourself no favors by belittling her concerns, which is what your comment about failing to understand the magnitude of being force-fed semen accomplished. In general warnings are good things; certainly they clear up any ambiguity. Usually when I give head, the receiver offers somewhat of a progress report, typically ending with what could be interpreted as a warning. “Ohhhh fuuuck yeah. Ohhh yeeeaahhh liike that God like thaaat. Don't stop. For the love of god dooonn't stop. I'm gonna cuuum. Fuuuuck…I'm gonna cum.” Thus I am prepared for the hot load as it hits the back of my throat and is gleefully swallowed. Yes, I do swallow and enjoy it immensely. However not all people do, and there is nothing wrong with them. Maybe your girlfriend is one of those. Or maybe she'd never done it before. It really doesn't matter. If you value your relationship with this person, apologize profusely, assert you had no intention of upsetting her, and for godsake don't say anything stupid. If you don't really care whether or not she ends it (I'll go on the record to say that her indignation was a mild overreaction and a break-up would be completely over the top), apologize anyway. And now for Scarlet's Oral Sex Good Behavior Guide. 1. Bathing and Grooming are important. Unless you know for certain your partner is into a very hairy bush or extreme pungency, err on the side of hygiene. I'm not saying douche and shave yourself bald, but a shower and a trim go a long way, for both men and women. 2. Be responsive. No one wants to suck or eat someone who just lies there. You can talk about likes and dislikes before the blessed event occurs, with specific instructions, or rely on positive feedback. Either way, odds are you are not in bed with a mind reader. He/she will not know if something is good or not unless you tell him/her. 3. Be considerate. You are not entitled to something your lover has no interest in performing. Do not grab the hair or ears and ram your dick down his/her throat, unless of course he/she is totally turned on by it, then bang away. A simple “I'm gonna cum” should be sufficient warning of impending orgasm, giving the fellator an opportunity to turn the blowjob into a handjob, or at least not be shocked by a sudden mouthful of semen. Also, though often mind-blowing, oral sex resulting in orgasm is not an obligation. Comments like “My old boyfriend swallowed all the time” or “My old girlfriend's tongue didn't get tired” will likely lead to few repeat encounters. Many view cunnilingus and fellatio as foreplay; if your partner resides in that camp, take what you can get and be grateful. 4. Return the Favor. This shouldn't need any explanation. And now a few words to the licker/eater/sucker: Oral sex is pleasurable like few things in life; always strive to become better at it. This starts with listening for cues and continues with trying new things, for example swallowing and, for the more adventuresome, adding a toy and/or anal play. Take note: This is a brief list on courtesy and consideration, not an instruction manual. I've given countless pointers on fellatio and cunnilingus in this column over the years and will doubtless take up the issues again in the future, but the scope of this letter dealt with etiquette.
 
Sesshoumaru tried to remember the details of his last sexual engagement and failed. I need to go on a date, he realized. It's been so long, even Kagome Higurashi is appealing.
 
XxXxX
 
Kagome found the library with little difficulty, though tearing herself away from Sesshoumaru, standing in the corridor in his shirt-sleeves, jacket and tie slung over one arm, had been conducted with great haste and consternation; he had been clearly ready to unwind, and she found his casual strength beyond sexy. Upon entering the room she saw Rin was seated on a large sofa, Mr. and Mrs. Taisho on either side of her, looking positively delighted with the book on her lap. Kikyou had kept Rin's baby book, a chronicle of her first three years, updated with the care of an archivist. Each entry was well documented, rich with detail, and interjected with her subtle humor. The girl looked up as Kagome stood awkwardly in the doorway, hating to interrupt the tender scene.
 
“Kagome!” she smiled. “Did you know my first word was Da Da? Did you know I liked to pull Daddy's hair when I was a baby?”
 
Kagome had a vision of Inuyasha and infant Rin sleeping on the couch together, the baby clutching handfuls of white hair, and she had to concentrate to keep from crying. “Yeah, honey, I know all kinds of stuff about you. Like when you were a baby and cutting teeth, your favorite thing to chew was the knuckle on your Daddy's thumb. There's gotta be pictures of it somewhere. But right now it's time to get you off to bed.”
 
The three people on the sofa all looked disappointed, and Kagome felt horrible, but knew adequate sleep was crucial for Rin's good temperament. “Awww,” Rin protested.
 
“Surely the child can be up a while longer,” Ken resisted. “She clearly would rather stay here.”
 
“Sad but true,” Kagome said, steeling herself in the face of opposition. “Rin tends toward moodiness if she doesn't get enough sleep the night before.”
 
Ken stood. “Now I really don't believe you. This child is a perfect angel.”
 
“The reason,” Kagome growled softly, “she is so agreeable is because I make certain she gets a lot of sleep.”
 
“Perhaps Kagome is correct, darling,” Rose said nervously. “Remember how the boys would act when they were tired.”
 
Rin put her book on the coffee table and kissed her grandmother goodnight, but was disturbed to see her grandfather and Kagome staring at each other with narrowed eyes.
 
“The neighbors have told me you take that behemoth of a dog running with you. They're concerned he's vicious.”
 
“My dog is a sweetheart. Tell the neighbors they have nothing to worry about.”
 
“That's all fine until he gets off leash and bites someone,” he retorted.
 
“It would never happen,” Kagome said in what she hoped was reassuring tones. “Come visit us and see for yourself. The dog doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.” Kagome wanted to reduce the tension, but hated to back down.
 
Rin piped up, “Obi really is a good dog, grandfather.” Then she yawned, loud and long.
 
He looked down indulgently and patted her head. “Alright young one. Goodnight.”
 
Kagome sighed with relief. “You can keep the baby book until you're done looking at it. Kikyou packed it full of information.” She noticed a rectangular board with rows of little holes next to the book and picked it up. “What a gorgeous cribbage board.” It was handmade from rosewood with maple inlay, copper and pewter pegs, and brass hinges. She opened the lid, revealing two decks of playing cards housed within.
 
“You play?” Ken asked with feigned disinterest. He had learned to play cribbage in the navy and taught his wife and later his children, but only Inuyasha shared his level of passion for the game. It was one of the things he regretted most upon learning of his younger son's death—that they would never again have a chance to play together. Inuyasha was the only person who could beat him with any consistency, and while he hated to lose, he loved a challenge.
 
Kagome nodded. “Inuyasha taught me; we actually played a lot. I kinda miss it, but I'm not that good. I've always had terrible luck with cards. Would you be up for a game sometime?”
 
Ken looked at Kagome like a predator might regard fresh prey. “Perhaps,” he replied without bothering to hide his eager deviousness.
 
Rin felt the mood in the room had changed. She wasn't sure exactly what had happened; at first she thought it was her fake yawn, but something about that card game made her grandfather seem not so angry with Kagome. There had been a brief flash of sadness, but it was followed by excitement, a feeling she hadn't before then sensed from him.
 
XxXxX
 
I wanna live
with a cinnamon girl
I could be happy
the rest of my life
With a cinnamon girl.
 
Neil Young sang as Kagome set a plate of steaming, buttered buckwheat and blueberry pancakes in front of Rin. The girl greedily tipped the jug of maple syrup, watching the liquid slowly ooze around the empty spaces.
 
“Hey! You're not teaching them to swim, you know,” Kagome said, gently removing the container. “Too much sweet stuff isn't good for you.”
 
There was a knock at the door, causing Rin squirm in her chair. “It's my Uncle!”
 
“Come in,” Kagome yelled before her niece had a chance to get off her stool. “Eat,” she commanded.
 
Sesshoumaru walked into the kitchen and was handed a cup of coffee, which he accepted with a combination of annoyance and gratitude. “My mother asked me to bring this. It's Inuyasha's photo album, volume one.”
 
Kagome took it, shooting Rin a look that clearly said `after breakfast'. “Thanks! I've never seen a picture of little Inuyasha.” She began to rinse the pancake batter bowl, forcing herself to wait for Rin to finish eating before opening up the photo album. “So you can still pick up Rin, right?” she asked.
 
“Yes, I've got an arena meeting at noon, and I should have enough time to fit in a workout at the gym before four.”
 
“I plan to run as soon as your mom takes Rin to school, then do Pilates this afternoon. I might bus and catch a ride back with you. Which gym do you go to?”
 
“I thought I told you—”
 
“Yeahyeah, you're not my taxi,” she interrupted. “I promise I won't make a peep. You won't even know I'm there.”
 
“Hn.” Sesshoumaru knew Kagome was incapable of remaining unobtrusive, especially within the confines of an automobile. “I belong to the Downtown Athletic Club.”
 
“Ooo the DAC. I heard the facilities are incredible. What are the membership dues there? Like three grand or something?”
 
“Actually it's closer to eight,” he corrected.
 
Kagome's jaw dropped. “Eight fu—” she stopped herself, mid-expletive, mindful of Rin's presence, “freaking thousand dollars! That's,” she closed her eyes and wrinkled her nose, doing math, “that's six hundred and sixty some bucks a month!”
 
Sesshoumaru didn't really understand the Unequal Distribution of Wealth cat he was about to let out of the bag. “The fees and dues at my parents' country club are over sixty thousand annually.”
 
Kagome was shocked and horrified. “You are fu—” she took a deep breath. “You have got to be joking! That's more than what I made the past two years combined. You are aware there is a problem with global poverty and hunger, aren't you? That even in this city there are homeless families and kids go to bed without dinner. Think of how many people's lives could be improved by the amount of money that your parents' pay to golf and play tennis!” she yelled, still incredulous. “Oh…I get it. That thing that's so hard to put a price on…not having to associate with the rabble. We poor folk can never really understand the importance of only being with people exactly ourselves.”
 
It was Sesshoumaru's turn to be shocked, this time by Kagome's anger and rudeness. “How dare you,” he said, trying to control his temper. “Do you have any idea how much money my family donates each year to charity? How many social programs we've sponsored over the past thirty years? Not that I need to justify myself or my family to you, but we have greatly increased the quality of living for this community.”
 
“Is this the part where you tell me how much you paid in taxes last year?” she snidely spat out, then wished she could take back. “Sesshoumaru, I'm sorry.” She quickly walked to him and laid a hand on his arm. “Please don't go. That was completely uncalled for. You three have been incredibly generous to me and Rin. I apologize.”
 
They suddenly both noticed Rin, who looked about to cry. She hated it when people fought, especially those she cared about.
 
Kagome enfolded the girl in her arms. “Honey, I'm sorry. I'm didn't mean to upset you. I'll play nice from now on, okay?” She looked again at Sesshoumaru. “I am very sorry for what I said. Sometimes I forget to turn on the filter between my brain and my mouth. Inequality of income is one of the things that get me on my soapbox. Sorry you were in the line of fire.”
 
The hope and fear in Rin's eyes convinced him to accept her apology. “It's alright. Komrade Kagome,” he added with a hint of levity.
 
“You called me Komrade,” Kagome gasped with delight. “You did it again! I knew you had a sense of humor!”
 
Rin, happy peace was restored, smiled and hugged Kagome back, snuggling her face in her aunt's chest.
 
“Hey! Are you wiping your mouth on me?”
 
Rin giggled as she sat back down and resumed eating.
 
“Perhaps now that your…robe is covered in syrup, you can throw it away,” Sesshoumaru said.
 
Kagome laughed. “Are you two plotting the demise of my robe behind my back?”
 
“Its ugliness is frightening,” he scowled.
 
“Whatever! It's the coolest thing I own,” then continued laughing at his dubious, though amused, expression.
 
“Can I be done eating?” Rin mumbled through a mouthful of food.
 
“Yeah, you're good.” Kagome, pushing the plate away, slid the photo album in between them and opened it. “Don't touch, okay honey.” The first page had a picture of newborn Inuyasha in the arms of his mother, sitting up in a hospital bed. “Oohhh…widdle biddy Yasha. Look at all that white hair!”
 
“That's my Daddy?” Rin was amazed. “And Grandmother is so pretty!”
 
Sesshoumaru finished his coffee and was about to make a quick exit, when he was startled by a scream. Kagome and Rin were looking at a picture on the next page. It was of him, three-years old, holding his week-old baby brother, Welcome Home sign in the background.
 
“OH MY GOD! Look at how CUUUTE!” Kagome looked from the photo to him and back to the photo. “I'veneverseenanythingsodamncuteinallmylivingdays.” The next picture showed Sesshoumaru petting the hair of the sleeping newborn. “Eeeee! Oh cute little you! Oh my god, you were such a biscuit! Look at your cheeks. I just want to PINCH them. Look at your pretty wavy hair. OH MY GOD! I could just EAT you!”
 
He hurried to the door before Kagome could attack, but she was faster than he realized. She threw herself in front of the door, blocking his progress, staring at him in adoration.
 
“Please don't go,” she squeaked. “You're too cute to leave.”
 
“Kagome, I know what I looked like as a child. Thank you for the coffee, but I need to go to work. Now.”
 
He guided her, only marginally cooperative, out of the way and left the cottage, screams about his and Inuyasha's cuteness floating through the open windows and following him all the way to the garage.
 
XxXxX
 
Sesshoumaru sat in the bistro of his athletic club, reading The New Yorker and drinking a San Pellegrino while waiting for Kagome. Seated at the table next to him were two beefy, blond men in their mid-twenties, making crude remarks about the women passing by. He tried to concentrate on the magazine, ignoring the pair who clearly hadn't realized they were no longer in a fraternity house.
 
“Check it out…at the information desk,” one of them said. “How'd you like to tap that ass?”
 
“That Asian chick? Dude, you've got the Yellow Fever bad.”
 
Sesshoumaru looked through the decorative glass wall and was completely unsurprised to see Kagome walking toward him. She was dressed in a black, sleeveless yoga top and a breezy, grey wrap-around skirt and carrying a rolled up mat. She moved with a willowy grace that was enchanting.
 
“She's coming over here,” the first meathead said, getting up and intercepting Kagome. “Hey babe, you're new here. At least I've never seen you before, and trust me I wouldn't forget a pretty face like yours. How would you like to join me and my buddy over there for a drink? I live just around the corner.”
 
Kagome looked the man up and down, a highly entertained and patronizing expression on her face, as though she had just been propositioned by a twelve-year old. “Sorry,” she said gently, trying not to laugh, “I'm not really into white guys right now.”
 
Clever girl, Sesshoumaru thought. He rose and left with her.
 
“Damn, I didn't know they'll let any cretin in here. I thought places this expensive had standards.”
 
“No, unfortunately the standard is ability to pay the dues. I'm sorry for that,” he apologized.
 
“Oh, don't worry about it,” she laughed. “He wasn't the first Asian fetishist to hit on me.” They waited at the corner for the light to turn. “Tomorrow evening I'm having Sango and Miroku over for dinner. I'd love it if you were able to come.”
 
“I don't think I have any plans, but I'll have to look at my calendar.” He couldn't decide if he wanted make up an excuse or not.
 
“I hope you can. I'm cooking Indian, and I think you'd like my friends. Anyway…they are coming over at seven. We'll eat at half past, and hopefully I can get Rin in bed by nine. She can't stand the thought of missing anything, so I'm not expecting her to be very biddable. Oh, the unfairness of bedtimes!”
 
They entered the parking garage, and Sesshoumaru unlocked the car.
 
“Can I drive?” Kagome asked hopefully.
 
“No.”
 
“Plea—”
 
No.”
 
As they made their way through traffic and Smetana's Ma vlast played on the sound system, Kagome teased, “Your mom told me she has lots of stories about you and Inuyasha as babies. I don't think she could find a more receptive audience than me and Rin.”
 
“Wonderful,” he said dryly.
 
“We finished looking at the photos. I swear you and Yasha were cute as fucking shit. Especially the one of you two taking a bath together. I've already scanned it and made it my computer's desktop background.”
 
He closed his eyes and wished for death, then changed his mind and wished for Kagome's death.
 
“Just kidding. I haven't made it my desktop…yet.”
 
He turned toward the entrance to the expressway.
 
“Don't go this way,” Kagome warned.
 
“The traffic on Pickens is backed up because of construction; this way is faster,” he explained.
 
“Seriously, don't go this way. It won't be any faster. Go down Pike, and I'll direct you through the neighborhoods.”
 
He drove up the onramp. “It will be fine. I drive this all the time.”
 
Two minutes later, traffic came to a standstill. Kagome drummed her fingertips on the door handle and hummed, while Sesshoumaru fumed silently. She decided the quiet was tiresome. “So anyway…I like your mom. What does she do all day?”
 
“She has many charitable functions and obligations. At the country club she plays tennis, and she has several groups with whom she plays bridge.” He paused a moment. “How did your parents die?”
 
“Car accident in the middle of a blizzard,” she replied softly. “Kikyou and I turned eighteen a week later, so when we graduated from high school, we sold the house and moved here for college.”
 
“Where did you grow up?” He found himself slightly surprised at wanting to know more about her.
 
“Small town a few hours away; we referred to it as Snoresville and couldn't get out fast enough. I keep in touch with a bunch of people, but never went back.”
 
“You said your father taught high school music. What did your mother do?”
 
“They both taught. My mother was an English teacher. And Driver Education instructor of all things. It was hard making and keeping friends when your mom handed out detention like other kids' moms handed out cookies.”
 
“I can imagine.”
 
They slowly passed a billboard advertising the upcoming Transformers movie. “Are you excited about Transformers? Inuyasha was totally pumped for it—said he never missed an episode of the animated series. I'll have to see it in his honor. Wanna see it with me?”
 
“I never watched it. My dorm room at boarding school didn't have a television.”
 
She looked at him quizzically. “Wow. So you kinda grew up in a pop culture vacuum. You were like a…lab rat or something. You were like a bubble boy!”
 
He sighed with irritation. “I was nothing like a lab rat or a bubble boy. I had a perfectly normal childhood.”
 
“Yeah right. Maybe compared to a kid raised by wolves or dingoes or something, but living apart from one's family, starting at the age of ten, is not the typical American experience.”
 
The flow of traffic started, but stopped again thirty seconds later.
 
Kagome fished her cell out of her bag. “I'll just call Rin's school and tell them we're stuck on the expressway. It's no big deal; Inuyasha was late picking Rin up at least half the time.”
 
Sesshoumaru groaned at the idea of establishing a reputation for irresponsibility like Inuyasha's.
 
She turned to him, her smile honest and glittering. “You know, Sesshoumaru, I never would have expected you to be such good company in a traffic jam.”
 
Though Kagome was entirely irksome, he found himself concurring. “Hn.” The woman was loud, emotional, and painfully direct, but he admitted, she was intelligent, open, and undeniably physically attractive.