InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Destined for Me ❯ Chapter 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 28
 
Kagome had been standing by the window looking out toward the horizon. She could just barely make out the sun rising in the distance. She had been up for hours not being able to sleep. Her mind was in a state of confusion, anxiety, and worry. She didn't know what was going to happen today but she was praying to Kami that everything turned out all right.
 
Her mind was in deep contemplation as she thought about everything that happened since she had met Sesshomaru. Her life, as she knew it, had been turned upside down since she had fallen in love with the stoic lord.
 
He was a strange creature one that had lived a lonely and isolated life. Never having anyone to talk to or be with when his day was hard or when he was worried that he had done something wrong to cause an uprising in his kingdom.
 
She understood him to some level having lived all her life in a shrine and being the daughter of a shrine keeper her life was pretty much the same as his. Had not been for her schooling she was sure that no one would want to talk to her on an intellectual bases. She was smart for her age but always had to hide it from her friends in order to appear normal in their eyes.
 
She had secretly hoped to find someone that could test her abilities and would show her such love that they would give their all just to be with her.
 
She turned slightly and watched as her mate to be was still sleeping on their shared bed before turning back to the window and looking out again contemplating her life. He was different but one that was willing to show her that he loved her with all his heart. She had somehow managed to breakdown the barrier that was around his heart to finally allow him to feel the love that she held for him.
 
Ever since that day in his study, when she had let it slip that she would reject him as a mate if it would stop the attacks on her pups, she had felt strange. She felt even closer to him like she was a part of him and he was a part of her.
 
It was hard to put into words what she was feeling. She had never felt this way before. It actually felt like part of her soul was now a part of Sesshomaru.
 
Kagome also thought about the jewel that she had destroyed earlier this week. It was necessary that she got rid of the jewel. She couldn't allow the jewel to fall into evil hands.
 
She knew that when she got rid of the jewel that she would effectively get rid of her only way home. That's why the last time they were at her home she had said her final goodbyes to her mother. She, like her mother, understood that she would not be coming home again.
 
Her mother had been strong and accepted her daughter's decision. Kagome knew that if she was truly bonded to Sesshomaru that she might live long enough to see her mother again.
 
Where centuries would have passed by for her, for her mother it would have been just minutes or days before they saw each other again. She would miss her mother but she had made her decision and she had no regrets.
 
She turned her mind back to the business at hand and the test she would have to take today. She knew that Sesshomaru would not be allowed to help her in her ordeal but she felt that he would be there for her nonetheless. It was a comforting feeling for her as she continued to stare off into the horizon, trying to prepare mentally for what was ahead.
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru had woken up to the feeling that something was missing from him. His eyes slowly opened to find that his mate was gone from his embrace. He needed to find out how she did that because he would need to find another way to keep the woman with him while he slept. She always managed to get out of his embrace when he was feeling very relaxed by the calming feeling he got from her scent.
 
It was the lack of this scent that had woken him from his slumber. He slowly turned over as he looked for his mate. He found her looking out the window with an expression that told of her uncertainties.
 
He hated to see her this way as he got up out of bed and walked over to where she was standing. He slowly wrapped his arms around her small form, bringing her into his chest and warmth.
 
He knew what she was thinking as he whispered in her ear, “Don't worry my love, you will do fine today when you fight against Kamlyn. You are very powerful and you should have no problems defeating him.
 
But you must be careful around him. He is one that will use everything within his disposal to win a fight. I will not allow him to cheat but the others might allow his actions because they won't see it as cheating. He has great powers and is not worried about using them. I have not seen the full extent of his powers but I'm sure that he is a strong opponent.
 
Kumo, although a bit young to be a lord, is not as weak as he pretends to be. He is a fierce warrior and you must be on your guard with him. He is a Neko to some extent he is very devious and cunning so you must watch your step around him.
 
I have no idea who you will face first but I'm sure that Tususki will see that it's a fair fight.”
 
Sesshomaru held her tight in his embrace. He could feel her relaxing into his chest as he purred to give her comfort. After a while he continued, “There are no rules for the test of strength. They will fight you one at a time and the only way to defeat them will be if they die, admit defeat, like Lord Tususki did the other day, or cannot move any longer.
 
In the test of knowledge they will only ask you one question each. They are not permitted to ask you anymore. If you can answer their question then it should be enough to prove that you are very well educated. I have no doubts that you will be able to answer their questions. Just remember that they are Lords to their lands and your words will impress them.”
 
Kagome understood what her mate was telling her. She didn't need to keep her answers simple but speak like she was educated. She leaned her head back as she took the comfort that her mate had to offer. She felt relaxed in his arms as they both looked at the horizon. She felt a sense of being complete as the sun was beginning to come up.
 
The feeling that she was having last night was coming back, the feeling that impending danger was near and that something was going to happen after the test. She didn't know what was going to happen but this feeling would not go away.
 
She took a deep breath and then voiced her concerns, “Sesshomaru, after the test today I have a feeling that something is going to happen. I don't know what but I have this feeling that it will involve us. It's a feeling that I can't explain but it will not leave my conscious mind. Once the test is completed, promise me that you will stick close to me. I will be weakened and might not have the energy to fight off the impending danger.”
 
Sesshomaru grew concerned at Kagome's words. He didn't want anything to happen to her. It was going to be hard enough to keep his control while she is being attacked but he knew he had to give her some comfort. “I promise, once the test is over no one will be able to separate us. I will not leave your side and I will take great pleasure in finally mating with you.”
 
He leaned down and kissed her neck as his tongue came out to soothe her. It was his way of showing affection towards his mate and Kagome just about purred with delight. She melted in his arms as he showered her with his love.
 
Soon they broke apart as they noticed that the sun had come up. It was time to get ready for the test.
 
Sesshomaru released his mate as he walked over to the closet and opened it. He had something to give to his mate for the battle. He took his gift out as he placed it on the bed for her to see. He smiled when he saw the look of shock come over her lovely features.
 
Kagome turned around to see what her mate was doing. It was time to get ready to go meet the other lords. Her eyes grew big when she saw what he had in his hands as he laid it on the bed for her to see.
 
It was beautiful. He had put down a haori and hakama almost like his. It was white in color but where his had red with white sakara blossoms on it hers was blue with white sakara blossoms, almost the color of her eyes. There was a sash the same color as his and armor that would fit her perfectly.
 
She looked up into his eyes and asked a silent question to her mate. Sesshomaru seeing her question said, “This haori and hakama are made of the same material as mine. The armor was made by Totosai and reinforced with my youkai. These two items it will protect you during your fight with Kamlyn and Kumo. This is my way of protecting you when I can't intervene in the fight.”
 
Kagome smiled at him in gratitude. She understood that it was tearing him up inside not being able to protect her. He had spent all that time showing her that he could protect her but now he was being denied the honor of doing so. She knew he was a great protector but now it was time for her to prove herself.
 
She put on his gift as she admired how it fit. It was not as big as the one he wore. It was more form fitting but still loose. The sleeves on the haori were not as wide as his so it wouldn't get in her way of her fighting. She wrapped the sash several times around her waist as she tucked her two swords into it. When she looked at herself in the mirror she saw a miniature Sesshomaru in the way she was dressed. She felt pride swelling up inside her, as she stood tall and looked at her mate.
 
When Sesshomaru finally saw his mate dressed in her new fighting outfit he couldn't conceal the smile that graced his face. She looked beautiful dressed like him and her outfit told everyone that she was his.
 
He approached his mate as he wrapped his arms around her and gave her a kiss. When they finally broke apart they walked out of his chambers to go and face the other lords. The time for Kagome's test had finally arrived.
 
~oOo~
 
Inuyasha and Miroku had gotten up before the sun had rose over the horizon. They made their way toward the southern wing of the castle as Inuyasha got a status report from the guards on duty.
 
They reported that Lady Sora, Lord Kamlyn daughter, had tried to leave the wing sometime during the night. The barrier that was placed at the entrance to the southern wing had effectively stopped her from leaving. She had demanded to be let out and when the guards informed her that no one was to leave the wing during the night she became enraged.
 
They had offered to get her whatever she needed but she just turned around in a huff and went back into her room for the night. They also informed Inuyasha that she had been wearing her nemaki (nightgown) and that it was very revealing.
 
Inuyasha just smiled as he turned to Miroku and said, “All right Miroku its time to take down the sutra's.”
 
Miroku complied with his wishes and removed the sutras from the entrance to allow the lords to leave the southern wing. He then turned with Inuyasha and walked back down the hallway to the dining area. There they would await the lords and anyone else that was going to witness the test.
 
About 50 of the more prominent lower lords of the area have been invited to witness the test. This way there was no doubt that Kagome was worthy to be Sesshomaru's mate.
 
As they were walking Miroku couldn't help the grin on his face as he leaned closer to Inuyasha and whispered, “How much would you like to wager that Sora was on her way to Sesshomaru's bedchambers last night? It could be that she was going to try and seduce him before the test today so she could be named as Lady of the West.”
 
Inuyasha smiled as he said, “Yes, you're probably right. She is a whore from what my brother has told me and she wants his title bad enough to sleep with him. But Sesshomaru only has eyes for Kagome and he would not lower himself to bring her into his bed.
 
Although it would have been fun to watch when she reached his room and entered, thinking he was alone, and Kagome kicked the living shit out of her. Now that would have been entertainment.”
 
Both Miroku and Inuyasha broke out into uncontrollable laughter. It would have been a good fight to watch. They knew that Kagome would have been within her right to purify her to oblivion for going near her mate to be.
 
They were still laughing when Kagome and Sesshomaru showed up at the dining hall. Sesshomaru seeing his brother in a fit of laughter asked in a cold hard voice, “Inuyasha? What has you laughing so hard to act like a complete imbecile?”
 
Inuyasha finally calmed down enough to tell his brother what had happened last night. He saw that his brother did not share the same humor as he did. Inuyasha and Miroku quieted down and went about their duties like nothing had ever happened.
 
Sesshomaru watched as his brother and the monk left. He had his stoic mask on and never showed his emotions. But under that mask he silently mused that it would have been entertaining to see Kagome hammer Sora into the ground.
 
He turned to his mate as they moved into the dining hall to await their honored guest. `Yes indeed it would have been a beautiful site to watch.' mused Sesshomaru as he went to sit in his normal place of honor.
 
~oOo~
 
Sora was still fuming over what had happened last night. She had planned to go find Sesshomaru to see if she could seduce him into mating with her. Her plans were cut short when she couldn't leave the wing they were assigned to and she was forced to stay in her room.
 
She was still fuming this morning as she met her father and got ready to go to the dining hall.
 
Kamlyn saw the mood his daughter was in and when he asked what was wrong she proceeded to tell him what had happened last night. He was not surprised that Sesshomaru had gone through such lengths to protect that ningen. He told his daughter not to worry that the human would soon be dead and then she would be proclaimed Lady of the Western Lands.
 
They made their way toward the dining hall where they were all meeting before the test began. He hoped that the ningen enjoyed her last meal, because her death was very near. He had a plan that had been set in motion and he was waiting to see if it would work. All he needed the ningen to do was to eat the food that was offered to her.
 
~oOo~
 
Kagome and Sesshomaru were in the dining hall when all of the other lords entered. They all made their way toward the seats that were assigned to them based on rank.
 
Kagome sat to Sesshomaru's right, Tususki to his left, then came Kamlyn, next to him his daughter Sora, then Kumo next to her.
 
Inuyasha sat next to Kagome, and then came Rin, Shippo, Sango, and Miroku.
 
Sesshomaru observed when Kamlyn turn his nose up at his human guest but when he eyed the monk and the Taijiya he was proud to see that they didn't back down from his intimidation. As a matter of fact they had their own scowls on their faces as they looked at Kamlyn wishing he would start something with them.
 
The servers came in quickly and started to serve the meal. Kamlyn was eyeing Kagome with interest to see if she would eat. Sesshomaru noticed Kamlyn glare towards his mate as he looked at her out of the corner of his eye. He was wondering what he was up to as he took the first bite of his food to allow everyone else to eat.
 
Kagome was staring down at her food as her senses were picking up something that was wrong with it. It didn't smell like it usually did and she was picking up the aroma of something sweet.
 
She remembered what Sesshomaru had told her the previous night. He told her not to take anything to eat or drink unless he gave it to her because they could try to poison her. That anything that she needed he would provide for her. He had said not to take it, as a form of punishment for that was the inu youkai way of reinforcing their dominance over their mate's loyalties.
 
So Kagome decided to just sit there with her head bowed not eating. The food did not appeal to her like it might have been poisoned and she was not about to take the chance. She loved Sesshomaru too much to be tricked like this.
 
Sesshomaru noticed that his mate was not eating. He leaned closer to her as he said in her ear, “Kagome, my love, why aren't you eating?”
 
Kagome noticed out the corner of her eye that Kamlyn was watching her and so was his daughter. She smiled sweetly as she said, “Please my lord, I'm not hungry this morning and do not wish to eat.”
 
Sesshomaru noticed what she had said and immediately became suspicious of the food she had in front of her. She had told him this morning that she was hungry and that she hoped that the other lords wouldn't take too long to get to the dining hall. He trusted her instincts as he said, “Very well, you do not have to eat.”
 
Kamlyn was fuming at her refusal to eat the food in front of her. His plan had been detected and the poison that was in her food would not be consumed. `Damn, this wench is harder to get rid of than I thought. How does she know that the food has been poisoned?' Thought Kamlyn as he continued to eat his food.
 
Once everyone was done eating they all got up as they started to make their way into the grand audience chamber. The last ones to leave were Sesshomaru and his party as they waited until everyone left and the door closed behind them. He waited a few more minutes to make sure that no one was within earshot and then he turned to his mate and asked, “Kagome, why didn't you eat your food?”
 
Kagome turned to him holding up a finger to her lips to keep everyone quiet for a few minutes. She started a spell that would prevent the one's at the door from hearing what was about to be said.
 
Once this was done, and she was assured of their privacy, she then proceeded to tell her mate why she refused the food. “I didn't eat because the food has poison in it. I detected a sweet aroma that had not been in my food before. I recognized the smell as the same poison that was used on you. I also remember what you told me last night, about not eating or drinking unless you gave it to me yourself. I figured that you would catch on to something being wrong and wouldn't push the issue of me eating.”
 
Sesshomaru understood what she was saying. He had to be more careful with her from now on. She was able to detect the poison this time but the next time he might lose her. He looked at the others in the room as he said, “Inuyasha, Miroku you know what you have to do. Make sure the battlefield is secure before we go out there.
 
Sango you will take the children back upstairs to their room and keep them safe. With Kagome's barrier and me reinforcing it nothing can get through to harm them or you. If you hear anything going on outside please do not leave the safety of the room and leave the children unguarded. They will try to get to them one more time before the test ends.”
 
Sango understood as she grabbed the children and started back to their room. When they stepped outside the dinning hall a group of Inu Youkai guards surrounded them and escorted them back to the west wing. Once they were safe inside the pup's room, they stood guard in the hallways making sure that the lord's pups stayed safe.
 
When Sesshomaru saw Sango leave with the children they all made their way toward the grand audience chambers. His instincts were on high alert now that someone had tried to kill his mate. His inner demon was trying to get out to protect her and he was battling with him to keep him under control. He couldn't take the chance of letting him loose and killing everyone in site.
 
He eventually got him under control when they finally reached their destination. The guards opened the door for him as the court herald announced his arrival in the chamber.
 
Kagome was walking right next to him as she was hiding her aura and trying hard to listen to what was going on. She tried to keep her powers at bay so they couldn't detect her strong aura.
 
This was proving to be difficult as her temper started to flare because of what happened back at the dining hall. She took deep calming breaths as she finally got herself under control. She needed to stay focused on what she had to do.
 
They stopped on the dais up front as they waited for the official start of the test.
 
Tususki being the eldest and longest ruling Lord came forward to start the proceedings. “My Lord, we are ready to test your mate to see if she is worthy. The first of the test is the test of knowledge. We will all ask one question of your mate to test her knowledge and then at the end we will tell you if we all approve.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded for him to proceed as Kagome took a step forward to step down from the dais. She stood there and faced Lord Tususki waiting for him to proceed.
 
Tususki took a deep breath as he said, “Lady Kagome, you will be tested first by Lord Kamlyn, then Lord Kumo, and finally by myself.”
 
Kagome nodded her head in understanding of his instruction as she saw Kamlyn take a few steps forward to address her.
 
Kamlyn had a smirk on his face as he approached. He knew that she would not be able to answer his question. No ningen was educated and he doubted that she would know the answer to his question, hell not even his own daughter could answer the question.
 
Kamlyn took a deep breath as he said, “My question to you is in which year did the Hojo Clan come into power?” As soon as he was done he had a wicked smile on his face as he saw her close her eyes in concentration. He knew that she would not know the answer to his question because even he had to look it up before he asked it.
 
Kagome heard his question as she closed her eyes and concentrated. She was searching her memory for the answer. She knew she had read the answer before from all the books she had absorbed. But what caught her off guard was the fact that he was asking about the Hojo Clan. `Could these be the decedents to the same Hojo back home?' she mused as she finally came up with the answer to his question.
 
“My Lord the Hojo Clan came into power in the 13th year of the Kamakura period.” Kagome said with confidence as she saw Kamlyn eyes grow big with disbelief. She knew that he doubted that she could answer his question.
 
Kamlyn was fuming. She had gotten his question correct and now he had no choice. He would have to see to her demise during the strength phase of the testing. “You are correct.” He quickly turned on his heel as he made his way back to where his daughter was standing, clearly not happy by the turn of events.
 
Sesshomaru smiled inwardly his mate had done well. She had set Kamlyn in his place and answered his question.
 
Lord Kumo came forward as he stood near Tususki and asked his question. “In which year did the Mongol barbarians first invade our lands?”
 
Kumo stood there waiting for Kagome to answer his question. `This ningen is proving to be intelligent she knows the history of events of the past. She will make a wonderful concubine if she survives the test of strength.' He mused as he waited for his answer.
 
Kagome had again closed her eyes searching her mind for the answer to his question. Once she found it she said, “My Lord the Mongol barbarians first invaded our lands in the 83rd year of the Kamakura period.”
 
Kumo frowned as he said, “That is incorrect. The year was the 82nd year of the Kamakura period.” `Maybe she is not as intelligent as she is beautiful.' He thought with amusement.
 
Kagome glared at the lord in front of her as she said, “I beg to differ my lord but it was the 83rd year of the Kamakura period.” She knew that she was right, her memory have yet to fail her.
 
Kagome looked at Tususki and said, “It seems, my lord, that we have a point of disagreement. My lord, do you or any of the other lords know the answer to his question?”
 
Tususki had to admit that he did not know the answer to this question. He looked at the Kamlyn to see if he knew but he just shook his head saying he didn't know. Tususki turned back to Kagome as he eyed her not even giving Sesshomaru that chance to answer the question, since he was not permitted to intervene in the test.
 
Kagome saw this as she said, “If my lord would permit me I have proof my answer.”
 
Tususki nodded for her to proceed as Kagome turned to Sesshomaru and asked, “Lord Sesshomaru please send a servant to your library, in the bookcase sitting to the right of the window, on the third shelf, the fourth scroll from the left contains the answer to our question.”
 
Sesshomaru raised an elegant eyebrow as he turned to Jakin and said, “Jakin, retrieve the scroll in question.”
 
Jakin, being the ever-faithful servant quickly left the audience chamber to get the scroll that was requested.
 
While they waited Tususki had a question that he had to ask Kagome to appease his curiosity, “Lady Kagome you seem very positive about your answer. How do you know where the scroll is that contains the answer?”
 
Kagome smiled at him as she answered, “Because my lord I have a photographic memory.” Seeing the strange looks on their faces she quickly explained. “Everything that I read or see I remember word for word. I have read all the scrolls and books in Lord Sesshomaru's library so I know where it is located.”
 
Everyone in the room was very surprised to hear this. They have never met a ningen that was educated let alone one that remembers everything she hears or reads. They all turned as they saw Jakin come back in with the scroll in his hands. He had it opened to the right sections as Tususki read it.
 
A smile came upon his handsome face as he said, “I'm sorry Lord Kumo but Lady Kagome is correct. The year was the 83rd year of the Kamakura period.”
 
Kumo bowed down with grace. `This human female has just made a fool out of me. She had the correct answer to the question and she could remember things that no one else could. Yes, she will make a wonderful concubine for me once I defeat her in the strength phase of this test.'
 
It was now Tususki turn to question Kagome. He eyed her with inquisitiveness as he asked, “You said, my dear, that you can remember everything you read?”
 
Kagome bowed as she said in a respectful voice, “Yes my lord, I remember everything that I have read.”
 
Tususki smiled as he searched the scroll. Once he found what he was looking for he asked her, “We know that in the 3rd year of the Ashikaga period, Ashikaga Takuji became shogun. Where in this document is that information located?”
 
Kagome looked at him for a few minutes as she smiled and replied, “Its in paragraph number 263 of that scroll.”
 
Tususki smiled as he walked over to the other lords and had them verify that she was correct in her answer. He saw the scowl on Kamlyn face as he turned and said, “Lady Kagome you have answered the questions correctly. I for one give my approval of your knowledge.” He turned to the other Lords and asked, “How about you Lord Kumo? Do you not agree with my approval?”
 
Kumo had no choice but to agree with Lord Tususki. “Yes, I agree with your assessment about her knowledge.”
 
Tususki then turned to Kamlyn and asked, “How about you Lord Kamlyn? Do you also agree?” Tususki glared at Kamlyn, he knew that he hated to admit that the human was by far more intelligent than he thought.
 
Anger did not describe what Kamlyn was feeling right now. He was enraged that this ningen had passed the test of knowledge. `Well she may have passed the test of knowledge, but she will never survive the test of her strength.' “Yes, I agree with you Lord Tususki.”
 
Having all the lords in the room agree, Tususki smiled as he said, “Lady Kagome you have passed the first of two test we will give today.”
 
Kagome breathed a sigh of relief when she finally heard that she had passed the first test. `Now for the hard part I know that I have to defeat Kumo and Kamlyn in battle and I know that its not going to be easy. But I can do it. All I have to do is stay focused on what I have to do.'
 
Tususki then said, “We will meet on the battlefield in one hours time. This will allow everyone to get ready.”
 
Everyone agreed as they left the grand audience chambers to get ready for the next phase of the test.
 
Sesshomaru walked down from the dais as he wrapped his arms and tail around his mate and pulled her into his chest. It rumbled as he gently purred to sooth his mate's nerves. “I'm proud of you Kagome, you have shown them that your intellect is far superior to those of other ningens. You have passed the first test. The next will be even harder, come, we will go and meditate before your first battle.”
 
Sesshomaru lead Kagome outside of the castle as he headed toward the gardens. He knew that she loved to meditate here. They both came to a stop and sat down within the many flowers that bloomed during the fall. Before Sesshomaru started his meditation he put up a barrier to keep them safe. He understood that if he didn't put it up his mate would and he didn't want her to use her energy until she was in battle.
 
Kagome inwardly smiled when she felt the barrier going up. Her mate was looking out for her. She knew that he would protect her by placing a barrier around them as they meditated. The easy test was now over. Now she needed to concentrate on the battle ahead. She closed her eyes as she started to meditate on what she was going to do.
 
Kagome was deep in her meditation when she found herself again in the beautiful clearing where she had met Midoriko. She looked around and found the ancient miko sitting under a sakara tree as she walked over to her.
 
Midoriko looked up and smiled at Kagome as she had her sit next to her. She turned her head as she said, “Kagome, the battle ahead is a hard one. You will not have a problem defeating Kumo but Kamlyn is a different story.
 
He is ruthless and will stop at nothing to kill you. I recommend that you use the Sanshunojingi to battle Kumo. But when you battle Kamlyn use the sword I gave you, Kenjikago (Sacred sword of Devine Protection). It will help you defeat Kamlyn and if you need me during your battle it will be easier to call for me with the sword in your hand.
 
I can't tell you what he will use when you are fighting with him but I can assure you that it will be effective. You must use your wit and the spells you have learned to defeat him but beware.
 
The impending danger that you felt coming is getting closer. Do not use all of your energy to defeat Kamlyn. You will need all the energy you have to defeat this new threat.
 
I wish you luck my daughter, now you have to wake up. It is time you meet your destiny.”
 
Kagome slowly opened her eyes as she looked over at her mate who was staring at her. She smiled sweetly at him as they both got up and went toward the battlefield. The time had come for the last test.
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru used his time to calm his inner youkai. His darker half was still in a fit of rage at having his mate attacked by those weaklings. It took almost the full hour to get it to calm down as he opened his eyes to see his mate sitting next to him. He was admiring her beauty when he saw her opening her eyes.
 
She had turned her head towards him as she gave him one of the warmest smiles he had ever seen. He longed for more of those sweet smiles that made his heart jump with joy every time he looked at her. He also saw the look of determination in her eyes as they both got up and started to make there way toward the battlefield.
 
~oOo~
 
The youkai that had been running back from the Northern Mountains was almost to the Western Lords castle. He knew that the test had started today. He was hard pressed to continue on his journey as he was getting tired from his run.
 
He had been running full speed for two days and he needed to warn his lord of the impending danger to his mate. He couldn't fail in his duty, he just couldn't. Even if he had to run himself to death he will reach the Western Lord castle before the second test ended.
 
His pace never wavered as he ran. Fear gripping his heart as heard the sound of swords clashing in the near distance. He stopped for the first time in two days, panting hard, trying to catch his breath, as he looked to see where that noise was coming from.
 
He tried to move in the direction the noise was coming from but he found that his body would not respond to his commands. He had put his body through so such torture in the last few days that he almost had no energy left.
 
He had a thought and he hoped that one of the Inu Youkai guards was around as he gave a high-pitched sound that only they could hear asking for help in getting an important message to the Western Lord.
 
He waited for a long time as he was leaning heavily on a tree, then he heard the sound of running feet coming toward his location. He noticed that the one person he had attracted the attention of was the lord's younger brother.
 
Breathing a sigh of relieve as he saw Inuyasha coming closer to him he quickly told him his message, “My lord, please tell Lord Sesshomaru that Ryo is on his way here as we speak. He plans on taking his mate once the final test is done. He figures that she would be too weak to fight him so he could mate with her. Please my lord you have to tell him this right away!”
 
~oOo~
 
Inuyasha and Miroku were standing guard at the battlefield along with one hundred guards from the castle. They were not about to take any chances of something happening to Kagome once the test was done.
 
Inuyasha was beginning to have his doubts that Kagome would have enough strength to defeat Kamlyn once she was done with Kumo. She had never had to fight in a battle like this.
 
These lords were out for her blood and he knew that Kamlyn was one of them. He wanted more than anything to kill Kagome. So that worthless bitch, his daughter, would then be made Lady of the Western Lands.
 
He knew that his brother would rather give up his lands than put that wench in such a high honored post. But Inuyasha knew of his brother's plan. If for some reason they defeated Kagome in battle Sesshomaru would step down as Taiyoukai to the Western Lands.
 
In doing so the right of ruling the Western Lands would be passed on to Inuyasha as next in line for the throne. This little bit of information was being kept from Kamlyn who had never met him before and he was keeping his markings hidden the way his brother had instructed him.
 
If the other two lords thought that the Western Lands were going to be divided between them then they had something else coming. They would have to wait another 225 years to get the lands and by that time they would have defeated Kamlyn in his own game and claim the Southern Lands as their own.
 
Both brothers knew that he would attack to make sure that he got the lands. They would wait for that day to make sure that they made him pay for what he would do to Kagome on this day.
 
Inuyasha turned as he heard the sounds of clashing swords in the distance. He raced with Miroku to the sight where the disturbance was located, as he saw the guards battling with some demons who were trying to get by them. The fight was quick as the guards made short work of the intruders.
 
The other guards in the area had taken up positions to cover the gap in the defensive perimeter as the guards took care of the danger to the area. Satisfied that everything was secured again Inuyasha turned and continued with his duties.
 
Inuyasha was walking around the area with Miroku making sure everything was in order before the match. He was about to say something to Miroku when his sensitive ears picked up a distress message from a messenger asking for help. He said that he had an urgent message for Sesshomaru and they had to move with speed.
 
Inuyasha turned to the monk and said, “Miroku, there is a messenger that is in trouble right now. He has an urgent message for Sesshomaru and he is weak. I'm taking a couple of guards with me to find him. Make sure that you tell my brother what is going on and that I will be back as soon as possible with the message.”
 
Miroku saw the urgency in his eyes and heard his words. He nodded his agreement at him as he saw his friend take two of the closest guards next to him and took off into the forest. He hoped that he reached this messenger in time and returned to inform his brother of any threat that might be coming.
 
Miroku looked into the sky to see where the sun was located. They still had half an hour to go before they would start the second test. `Hurry Inuyasha, for I feel the impending danger that is coming this way and its going to be a hard battle to defeat him.'
 
Miroku looked down at his right hand and sighed. If there was anytime that he wished to have his air void back it would be now. He would need that power to defeat this evil that was coming and he, himself, felt very weak without it.
 
Yes, he knew that his holy powers were great but the ominous threat that was coming was powerful. He could only hope that his holy powers would be effective in the fight that was to come.
 
~oOo~
 
Inuyasha was racing through the forest following the call from the messenger. They ran for nearly an hour before they found him. He was leaning up against a tree when he came to a stop right in front of him.
 
The messenger upon seeing him gave him the message for his brother.
 
Inuyasha eyes grew big when he heard it. He turned to the guards with him as he said, “I want you two to stay with him and bring him back to the castle. Make sure that he gets some rest after his ordeal. He has done well in bringing back this information that will save my brothers mate.”
 
The guards understood as they moved over to the youkai that was leaning against the tree. They supported his weight between them as they threw his arms over their shoulders. When they looked up they saw that Lord Inuyasha was already gone to deliver the message to their lord. They were slowly making their way back to the castle dragging the almost unconscious messenger between them.
 
Inuyasha was racing through the forest with speed. He was going even faster now than he did traveling to find that youkai. He had to reach his brother in time before Kagome finished with her battle.
 
The danger to Kagome was spurring him to go even faster as he silently called to his sword, `Please Tetsusaiga, give me the strength to make it to Sesshomaru in time to save Kagome. If Ryo gets to her before I make it back, Sesshomaru will be unstoppable and will go on the rampage to get her back. I must protect Kagome at all cost I must go faster.'
 
The sword heard his plea as it started to pulsate in its sheath. A golden glow surrounded the sword as it slowly engulfed Inuyasha in its warmth.
 
Inuyasha felt a new strength that he didn't know he had as he raced even faster through the forest. His speed was so fast that he was invisible to the naked eye. Hoping to get to his brother before the final battle ended and Ryo showed up.
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru and Kagome came into the battlefield that was prepared for the test. Kagome was nervous but she was determined to win the fight that was about to begin.
 
They observed as the other three lords approached the battlefield. Tususki was in the lead as he walked over to Sesshomaru and Kagome and said, “Lady Kagome, the last phase of the test will be the test of your strength. Being a mate to a Taiyoukai it would be required of you to fight along side your mate.
 
You must prove that you are strong enough to last in battle and not be burden to your mate as to be protected all the time. For if you were weak then you will become a liability to your mate and he could be killed.
 
In order to win this fight you must do one of the following:
 
Make your opponent admit defeat by your hand.
 
Render him unconscious or
 
Kill your opponent.
 
This is the only way that you may win the fight. The first one you will face will be Lord Kumo, then myself, followed by Lord Kamlyn.
 
You may only use the weapons you take on the field with you and any powers that you possess during your fight. Do you understand my instructions?”
 
Kagome bowed deeply as she said, “Yes my lord, I understand what I must do.”
 
Tususki then turned his attention to Sesshomaru and said, “Lord Sesshomaru, you are not permitted, under any circumstances, to interfere in this fight. Your mate must prove herself in this battle and she must prove that she can fight on her own. If you interfere then the test will be over and she will be deemed not suitable as a mate for you. Do you understand my instructions?”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes flashed in anger but he kept his temper in check. He never let his mask go as he replied, “This Sesshomaru understands your instructions. I will not interfere with this battle. But I do advise that you make sure that the fight stays fair for if I detect any cheating going on, this Sesshomaru will not hesitate to kill the offending youkai.”
 
Tususki nodded his head in understanding to his request. He didn't have to worry. If he even thought that anyone was cheating in this fight he wouldn't hesitate to kill them himself. He turned and walked back to the other lords, as they got ready for the challenge.
 
Kagome was about to step forward when a tail wrapped itself around her waist and pulled her into her mates embrace.
 
Sesshomaru hugged Kagome close to him as he whispered in her ear, “Good luck my love, I know that you can defeat Kumo. There will be a break between matches so I will see you once you defeat him.”
 
Kagome hugged him back as she reached up and licked him under his chin before he released her from his hold. She turned around as she faced the battlefield and walked with confidence to meet her fate.
 
Kagome saw as Kumo stepped forward ready to do battle. She saw as he pulled his sword out of his sheath and went into an attack position. It was similar to Sesshomaru's stance as she pulled the sword that her mate had given her.
 
Sanshunojingi pulsed to life in her hand as she twirled the sword around in circles to get loosened up. She noticed out of the corner of her eye the look of complete fascination on Kumo's face as she expertly moved her sword around.
 
She was moving the sword so fast that she never gave him the chance to see it true length. She was still hiding her aura from her enemy as she finally stopped once she had channeled enough power into the sword.
 
The sword was large almost longer than Tetsusaiga as she brought the sword into a defensive position. Everyone gasped when they saw the size of the sword that she was holding. It almost looked to be too heavy for her to lift but to their amazement she was moving it with ease.
 
Kagome faced off with Kumo as she concentrated on what she wanted to do. She made sure to hide her powers from the other as she watched Kumo come in to attack.
 
Kumo eyed the ningen in front of him. She was beautiful and he could see the determination in her eyes to win this fight. He was determined to defeat her and when she lost to him he would take her back to his lands and mate with her.
 
Because by standard rules the male that can defeat the intended of another can take her as his prize knowing that the intended mate would refuse her because she was weak. She will never be Lady of the East but she would be a good bed warmer for him. He would keep her around for his pleasures until he found a suitable mate.
 
He charged as he brought his sword to bear and swung down. He pivoted and turned at the last minute before he made contact with her to catch her off guard. To his surprise this ningen blocked his attack.
 
Kagome saw him coming, as she got ready. He was moving faster than the eyes could see but she was tracking him by his aura. She saw as he turned at the last minutes and changed the direction of his attack as she moved to meet his attack head on.
 
Their swords crashed against each other as they fought to see who was the stronger of the two. Kagome for her part was trying to figure out just how strong he really was as she held her ground. She wasn't budging an inch from her position and she would not back down from this fight. She had to win at all cost.
 
Kumo was having a hard time with this wench. She was very powerful even though her aura never indicated that she was. He knew he needed to change his tactics as he said to her, “I will take great pleasure in defeating you in battle. Then when you lose to me I will take you back to my kingdom so you can warm my bed at night. You are very desirable and I wish to have you for my own.”
 
Kagome heard his words as her temper started to get the best of her. She took a deep breath and regained control. `I can't let this asshole get underneath my skin. I need to keep my powers in check so I can defeat Kamlyn. He is the bigger threat right now.'
 
Kagome pushed her right foot back as she got some leverage and pushed him away from her. It didn't take much energy on her part if she had the right leverage to do it.
 
She knew she had to use her head in order to defeat this youkai. She noticed just how powerful he was and before he brought out his inner youkai she had to defeat him. She calculated what she needed to do and set her plan into motion.
 
If this tiger reacted the way she thought he would then she would be able to defeat him. She had seen the surprised look on his face as she moved him away from her and took another fighting stance. She heard her mate growling in the background but she had to stay focused. She had to trust that he would not interfere with the test she was taking to be his mate.
 
Kumo was shocked at the way this ningen was fighting. She met all of his thrust and parries and blocked all of his attack with ease. He was beginning to think that he was going to lose this battle and he was not about to give up his bed warmer.
 
He moved with more speed as he continued to attack, sooner or later she would have to tire and then he could defeat her.
 
Kagome had to give the youkai some credit. He was fast but not as fast as her mate. Kagome made her move to end this fight as she prepared for what she had to do.
 
Kagome saw him attack again as she parried his sword away from her with such force that the sword was knocked out of his hands. Temporarily shocked by her move she quickly turned and kicked him in his balls as he fell to his knees in pain.
 
She took her right foot and swung it up as it made contact with his chin and he went back. Landing hard on his back with the wind knocked out of him. This was all Kagome needed, within a blink of an eye she was standing over him with her sword to his throat staring menacing at him.
 
Lord Kumo finally opened his eyes once that pain started to subside as he looked up to see a very pissed off wench staring at him. She had her sword on his neck and knew that she had him. She had managed to remove her other sword and it was now pressed at his manhood as his eyes looked at her in fear. `Would she castrate me right here in front of everyone?' He wondered as he waited for her to speak.
 
Once Kagome knew that she had his full attention she looked at him and said, “Lord Kumo, do you concede this fight to me or do I have to castrate you right here in front of everyone so you will never have an heir?”
 
When he wouldn't answer her question she applied pressure to his manhood and she heard the intake of his breath as he held it. She pushed her sword a little more drawing his blood from his neck as she waited for his answer.
 
Kumo knew this wench was serious about taking his manhood and he now knew that she was serious enough to take his life. He was in a no win situation as he closed his eyes and said in a loud enough voice so everyone could hear, “I concede this fight to you wench. You have won.”
 
Kagome was not through with this asshole as he called her a wench. She applied a little more pressure as she drew more blood and said in a deadly voice, “Never, ever call me a wench. For if I ever hear you insult me again mate or no mate, Lord or no Lord, I will kill you. I am worthy to be Lord Sesshomaru's mate and wench is beneath me.”
 
Tususki seeing that Kagome was highly pissed off at Kumo for calling her a wench allowed Sesshomaru to step forward to get his mate before she killed the ignorant fool for his careless words.
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru saw as his mate stepped away from him to go into battle. It was going to be hard for him to sit on the sidelines and not do anything to the one that was attacking his mate.
 
He scanned the area briefly to see if he could find his brother. He knew he had to be close and he had to warn him to stay out of the fight. He was almost as protective of her as he was.
 
When he didn't find him he motioned to Miroku to come near him. When he got there he quickly got to the point. “Where is my idiot brother? I thought that he would be hear to witness Kagome's battle.”
 
Miroku heard the note of anger in his voice and quickly said, “My Lord, Inuyasha received word that a messenger needed help in making back to the Western Lands with an important message for you. Your brother took two guards with him as he left to hear what the messenger had to say. He should be back soon.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded his understanding of where his brother had gone. He was surprised that he would leave Kagome but knowing that the message must be important he went to find out what it had to say. If it was important he had no doubt that his brother would be back really soon.
 
It had been hard during his mate's battle to stay clam and not interfere, but when he heard Kumo's comments to his mate he almost lost it. `How dare this insulate fool think that he could take Kagome away from me! I will make him pay for his comments.'
 
He was struggling with his inner youkai when he saw that his mate had handled the situation with ease. He saw her anger as she attacked him for his words. He calmed as he continued to watch her battle. She was not even using her powers to defeat him. `Hmm, fighting with me has taught her to use her own inner strength to fight and not depend on her powers.'
 
Kumo was either really weak or his mate was using her intellect to defeat him. He had to guess at the latter when he saw at the speed in which they were fighting. He saw Kumo go down as she had him pinned to the ground.
 
Sesshomaru thought that Kumo was a complete fool for insulting his mate while she had a sword to his neck and one on his manhood. He knew that she would not hesitate to castrate him in front of everyone and he, Sesshomaru, could honestly say that he would deserve it. No one insulted her and got away with it.
 
He saw out of the corner of his eye as Tususki signaled him to get his mate before she did something she might regret later. He moved forward to where his mate was standing as he slipped his hands down her arms to reach the swords she was holding. He started to purr to calm his infuriated mate.
 
Kagome sensed when Sesshomaru was coming towards her but she still kept her attention at the one that had just insulted her. She felt when her mate had put his hands over hers and he started to purr.
 
Kagome relaxed in his arms as she allowed him to pull her arms away from her current ire. He brought his arms around her as he held her and moved her away from Kumo. Leaving Kumo with a look of relief at not having his manhood taken away from him.
 
Tususki was not as kind as he said, “Kumo, I would reframe from insulting her in the future. As a potential mate to the Western Lord she deserves respect from us. She had every right to kill you for the way you spoke to her, but I could not allow that. It is not in her nature to kill outright and it would have hurt her deeply to do so. But make no mistake that she could and will kill if she has to.”
 
Kumo nodded his head in agreement as he slowly got off the ground. He brushed the dirt off his clothes as he picked up his sword and put it back in its sheath. `This human has proven herself to be a strong and loyal mate. I could not make her waver from her resolve to win the battle even if I taunted her. She had remained loyal to Sesshomaru.'
 
Kumo had to admit to himself that she was the perfect mate for Sesshomaru. He had wondered where he had found such a prize and if she had a sister that he might be able to meet.
 
Tususki turned to Kamlyn and said, “There will be a quarter hour break to give Lady Kagome time to get herself together for the next battle.”
 
Kamlyn understood as he started to walk toward his daughter. When he finally reached her he asked, “Have you detected any powers from her aura yet? I have yet to detect her true powers.”
 
Sora looked at her father and said, “No, I have not been able to pick up on her aura. She must be hiding it from us. She doesn't want to reveal just how powerful she really is if she doesn't have to. Do you have a plan of attack? I don't want you to be defeated like that fool Kumo.”
 
Kamlyn growled at his daughter as he said, “Of course I have a plan. The edges of my sword have been rubbed with poison. When I cut her with them she will slowly begin to die out there on the field. When she is weak enough then I will kill her and you my dear will be the new Lady of the Western Lands.”
 
Sora smiled wickedly at her father as they waited for the next round to start. She would have to fight Lord Tususki before her father would face her. By the time she faces her father she will be so tired that she should be easily defeated.
 
Sesshomaru was standing off to the side with Kagome in his arms. He didn't want to let go as he put the sword back in their sheath. He lowered his head to her neck as he showered her with his affection. He felt his mate calm as he did this while he smirked into her neck.
 
Once he was sure that she was calm enough he released her from his embrace as he said, “Are you all right now? I couldn't permit you to kill the insolent little fools for his words. I will take great pleasure in doing that for you once this test is over with.”
 
Kagome smiled as she wrapped her arms around his waist and said, “Yes, I'm fine but you should have let me castrate him for what he said. He had no right to call me a wench.”
 
Sesshomaru chuckled at her remark, as their time for the next battle was about to begin. He reached up as he took his index finger and hooked it under her chin making her look up at him. He said in a very soothing voice, “The next battle is about to start. Tususki will step forward like he was going to challenge you next but he will then bow down in defeat. Kamlyn will not have time to prepare any underhanded attacks, as Tususki will bring him forward as the next and final battle. Be careful mate. He is strong and will stop at nothing to win this battle.”
 
“I promise to be careful. He will not defeat me. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and I'm looking forward to tonight when we can finally mate. You better make it good to make up for everything I'm going through for you.” Kagome reached up as she gave him a gentle kiss while her finger rubbed behind his ear and she heard a gentle growl escape his lips.
 
She moved away from his embrace as she walked forward to meet the final opponent that stood in her way of being happy for the rest of her life.
 
Sora had been watching what that wench was doing with Sesshomaru. Jealousy reared its ugly head on her features and she didn't know just how disfigured she looked when she was mad. `That wench!!! She will pay for kissing him like that. He is mine and once I'm made Lady of the Western Lands I will kill him. I have no use for him as a mate once I have what I want.'
 
~oOo~
 
Inuyasha was finally getting close to where his brother was located. He picked up his scent as he rushed to his side. He needed to give him this message, because they had to plan for next attack.
 
He finally made it to the battlefield as he saw Kagome walking away from his brother to meet the next challenger. He quickly made his way over to him as he said in a hushed voice, “Sesshomaru, we have a problem. Ryo is on his way here and he intents to take Kagome with him. He will wait until she defeats the last opponent before he makes his move to grab her.
 
The youkai that was keeping an eye on him made it back to the Western Lands to bring you this message. He had been running for two days straight when his body finally gave out. I have the guards that I took with me bringing him back here to rest.”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes started to go red with anger. Now he had another wanting to take away his mate. He closed his eyes as he tried to keep his inner demon under control.
 
Once he had succeeded in subduing his darker half he turned to his brother and said, “Make sure everyone is aware of what is going to happen. As soon as this fight is over with I will get to Kagome and protect her. I want the guards to deal with any approaching threat until I have her secured and deal with Ryo. He will not take my mate.”
 
Inuyasha nodded his understanding of the situation as he left his brother side and started to inform everyone what was going to happen. He sent word back to the castle to get the remainder of Sesshomaru's army. He wanted them in place before Ryo showed up to take Kagome.
 
Inuyasha was not about to take any chances that Ryo would take his brother's mate, his sister. Word quickly spread to all the guards as they moved into position to protect the new Lady of the West. They will make sure that she is protected from this threat.
 
Sesshomaru turned his attention back to the business at hand. `All Kagome has to do is defeat Kamlyn but I know that its going to be a hard fight for her. I have faith that she can defeat him.'
 
Kagome walked back onto the field as she face Tususki. She nodded that she was ready as Tususki stepped forward ready to face her in battle.
 
Kagome removed Sanshunojingi from its sheath as she took a fighting stance against him. True to what Sesshomaru had told her Tususki brought his sword forward and then bowed down to her as he said, “I concede this fight to you my lady.”
 
Everyone in the clearing gasped as they looked on in disbelief. He turned to everyone as he announced. “I have already fought against Lady Kagome and she has defeated me in battle. I conceded that fight to her then and I do so now. I know that she could defeat me again so I do not wish to fight her.”
 
He turned his attention to Kamlyn as he said, “Lord Kamlyn you are her next opponent, please approach the field.”
 
Kamlyn heard what Tususki had announced he couldn't believe that this bitch actually defeated him in battle. He was a strong opponent and he couldn't have fallen victim to this wench. He came forward nonetheless as he faced off with her.
 
Kagome felt immense relief that Tususki had backed down from the fight. She had put her sword back in its sheath as she listened to what he had to say. She saw the look on Kamlyn face as he eyed her with repugnance. `Come on Kagome you have to be strong. You know that you can defeat him. You have to defeat him because it's not only your future that is at stake here. You have to think about Shippo and the little human girl that looks up at you with love in her eyes.
 
It's for them that I'm fighting for, I want them to have a future and if I don't defeat Kamlyn then he will be after them again. This has to stop, I can't permit him to harm Shippo or Rin ever again.'
 
Kagome leveled her eyes at her enemy. He was the one that had sent countless of youkai to try and take away her children. He was the one responsible for all of her pain and it was about time that she gave him what he deserved.
 
Kamlyn stepped forward as he got ready to fight this ningen wench. He was determined to win this fight at any cost. He pulled his sword out of its sheath as he took a fighting stance that has not been used in over 200 years. This fighting style belonged to his father and he had created it all on his own. There was no defense against it as a smirk came over his constantans knowing that she will meet her demise against him.
 
Kagome pulled Kenjikago from its sheath as it pulsed to life. It mixed with her miko powers as the sword became empowered. She saw the fighting stance that Kamlyn took and she had no idea how to defend against it.
 
She silently called, “Midoriko, please I need your help on how to defend myself against his attacks. I have never seen or read anything about this fighting stance before.”
 
Midoriko heard her call as she said, “My daughter, let me guide you in this fight. We will fight as one to defeat this threat.”
 
Kagome silently agreed to her request as they both merged into one. She took a defensive position that no one has ever seen before as she face off with Kamlyn.
 
Sesshomaru was watching from the sidelines. He had never seen the fighting style that Kamlyn was using against his mate. He prided himself in knowing all the different fighting styles and this one caught him by surprise. He had no idea what Kamlyn was planning but he would bet that it wasn't anything good.
 
Sesshomaru noticed as his mate took a defensive stance that he had not taught her. He was surprised by it and by the looks of her stance it would provide the perfect defense against his attack. He watched as the battle finally got started, as he held on to his inner demons rage.
 
Kamlyn seeing the defensive stance this wench had taken had caught him off guard. He had no idea what kind of attacks she could pull off but he was about to find out as he attacked.
 
Kamlyn rushed forward as he brought his sword to bear. He made a swing that brought the sword across his body then back up again swinging up diagonal to slash her across her body.
 
Kagome saw the attack coming as she turned her body and caught his attack in mid swing. She had effectively blocked his attack and now had his sword pinned to the ground. The attack, though unorthodox, had been very effective had she not move to counter.
 
They quickly broke apart as they started to circle each other to see what their next move would be.
 
Kamlyn was completely taken by surprise as he saw his father perfect attack being blocked by this wench. There shouldn't have been a way anyone could have block that move but this wench just did. He was at a lost for what to do next. He chose to attack without mercy and bring her down like the lowly human she was.
 
He attacked as he moved with strength and speed trying to take her down. Kagome however met all of his moves perfectly and blocked all of his attempts in trying to kill her.
 
Kagome was losing the battle with her temper and not caring whether they noticed how powerful she was she let go of her illusion and concentrated on killing the bastard in front of her. She was not about to let him forget that he had tried to take away her pups.
 
Kamlyn felt the power spike from the wench in front of him. Her aura was very strong as it flared to life in front of him. If he had to guess her aura was stronger than his. She had been concealing her true power from him and now it looked like she didn't even care anymore as she let him see her strength.
 
Kamlyn had to find a weak spot; he had to find something that would distract her enough to let him win this fight. He had an idea as their swords met in a test of strength as he said in a very low voice that only she could hear. “Wench, you think that you can protect those pups forever? If you are here fighting me who is protecting them now? I shall have them in my possession in a few minutes and then I will see to your demise.”
 
Kagome heart started to race as she heard his proclamation. She had to do something to protect her pups before they got to them. She knew what she had to do. She had to finish him off so she could go and protect them.
 
Sesshomaru having very sensitive hearing heard what Kamlyn had said to his mate. He growled as he summoned his brother and said in a low voice, “Inuyasha, go back to the castle. It seems that they are after the pups again. I want you to deal with the problem and make sure that they are protected.”
 
Inuyasha understood what his brother was saying as he quickly left his side and took Miroku with him to go and see about the threat to the children.
 
Kagome saw Inuyasha leave out of the corner of her eye and knew that he could deal with the intruders. This gave her some comfort, knowing that he would protect her children, as she turned to take care of the fool in front of her.
 
Her anger started to peak as her eyes turned blood red with rage. She was not about to give this fool the satisfaction of winning this fight. They were moving faster now as their swords continued to trade blows with each other. The sword on her waist had put a protective barrier around her so no hits landed on her body.
 
Kamlyn couldn't understand what was going on. He knew that he had at least gotten her twice with his sword for leaving herself open for attack but yet she was not cut or bleeding. This effectively meant that the poison he had put on his sword was not going to work on her. Again she had found a way to protect herself from the poison he wanted to use.
 
Kamlyn was trying to think of what else he could do as he started to gather his youkai powers to attack. When they had pushed away from each other he let go of his youkai as it went straight toward Kagome.
 
Kagome saw as he release a blast of his youkai. She reacted instantly as she brought forth a miko shield that was capable of defecting his powers away from herself. She jumped into the air as she said her incantation and remained floating over the field as she looked at her opponent.
 
Kagome could hear everyone gasp as she showed them that she was not one to be messed with.
 
Kamlyn eyes grew big when he finally realized what she was. She was a pure heart miko and one of the strongest ones he had ever seen. He cursed under his breath for failing in obtaining information about the one that Sesshomaru had picked as a mate. He knew that the arrogant lord would never select a weak mate and now he was paying for it.
 
He jumped in the air as the battle continued in the sky, each fighting more vigorously than before. You could hear the blast of the explosion as the purifying might of the miko's power met the pure rage of Kamlyn youkai power.
 
They landed on the ground panting as they each figured out their next move.
 
Kamlyn had never fought a miko this strong before. He knew that he was losing the battle because at this moment he was the only one that was hurt. He had cuts all over his body while the wench didn't have a scratch on her.
 
Kamlyn's mind was fanatically searching for an idea when he remembered an ancient spell from his father. It would effectively take away her powers and then he could move in for the kill.
 
He started to concentrate as he started the incantation. He needed time before he could finally cast it as he put a barrier up to protect himself while he did this. It would only take a minute but within a minute it could mean his demise if he didn't protect himself. His aura started to flare as he was almost done with the incantation; soon he will unleash its power.
 
Kagome was on the ground panting from the effort of fighting Kamlyn in the air. She was looking at her opponent when she saw the smirk that came over his features. She didn't like this look as she started to notice his change. He was mumbling something under his breath and her eyes went wide with understanding.
 
He was about to unleash the same spell that Sesshomaru did when she had fought him for the jewel shards, that attack had left her without her miko powers and helpless for a few days. If he succeeded in what he wanted to do she will die.
 
Kagome was trying to find a counter spell for his attack as she was searching through her memory. She finally found what she was looking for as she brought her sword forward and started her own spell.
 
Kagome heard as her mate became alarmed at what was going to happen as she quickly put a barrier around him to keep him in his place. She couldn't afford to let him interfere in her fight and ruin everything that she had gone through already.
 
Her sword started to glow a purple in color as she finished her spell, when she saw the attack coming from Kamlyn. She didn't even move as the attack hit her full force engulfing her body in a golden light, while everyone looked on with concern in their eyes.
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru was standing on the side watching everything that was going on. His mate was proving to be a fighter, as she never backed down from Kamlyn attacks. He still didn't trust the fool when it came to his mate and he was still struggling with his darker half to keep him under control.
 
He observed when they finally landed on the ground and the evil look that came over Kamlyn features. He didn't like this look as he heard what he was saying. Sesshomaru recognized the spell immediately and he knew that if he used that spell against his mate she would lose her life in this fight. He couldn't let that happen as he rushed forward to try and protect her.
 
To his surprise a barrier was put around him that prevented him from reaching his mate. Her scent was everywhere inside the barrier effectively calming him down so he could think rationally. His mate must have put it around him to prevent him from attacking as Kamlyn's attack finally reached his mate.
 
He held his breath when the golden light engulfed his mate body and hoped that she had somehow survived the attack.
 
When the smoke finally cleared she was still standing on her spot with a purple aura surrounding her. She stood straight and looked at her enemy with a smile on her face.
 
Sesshomaru was shocked to see this for he would never be able to use that spell against her anymore. She had found a way to block that attack.
 
Kamlyn couldn't believe the way his luck was going. He thought that he had the perfect spell to get rid of her but when he was done and cast the spell she had somehow managed to block the affect of the spell. She still had her miko powers and this was not good as he attacked again with his speed and strength.
 
Kamlyn anger was getting the better of him as he started to attack more viciously. His swings were more erotic. Never making contact with his opponent as his inner beast started to take over.
 
Kagome took advantage of his rage as she attacked him full force. Her swings were more controlled than Kamlyn's as she landed hits on his body. She was beginning to shred his haori to pieces as she continued her assault.
 
At one point she swung her sword to the side blocking his attack as she brought her hand forward and shot him with a blast of her miko powers. It sent Kamlyn 20 feet into the air before he landed on the ground flat on his back.
 
Kamlyn couldn't believe that he had been injured like this. This human was proving to be stronger than he himself. He was lying on the ground gasping for air as he quickly got up before she had him pinned to the ground. His anger grew as his eyes turned blood red. He let his rage take over as he transformed into his true demonic form and howled into the sky. He knew he had her now as he made his move to attack her.
 
Kagome watched as Kamlyn eyes turned blood red. She knew what was coming next as she saw him transform into his true form. She took a step back so she could assess the situation as she heard her mate growl in anger. She knew that this was not a fair fight if he transformed into his true form.
 
Kagome didn't want to transform into her true form she rationalized that she was not that experienced in fighting in that form. She closed her eyes as she concentrated on her sword. It started to glow a bright pink as it drew from her miko powers. When the sword was fully charged she brought it forth as she saw him attack. She released the power that was within the sword as a bright pink purifying light shot forth and connected with Kamlyn. He didn't have a chance as she purified him oblivion.
 
Kamlyn in his rage noticed that the wench was just standing there not moving. He saw his chance as he rushed forward to attack and get rid of her once and for all. He was so consumed by his rage that he had failed to see her sword glowing a bright pink.
 
He was about to grab her in his massive jaws when he felt a searing pain shoot through his body as he howled. The pain was so intense that he finally realized what was happening to him. She had purified him and now he knew he was going to die.
 
He fell to the ground as he continued to howl in agony. Once the pink light engulfed his body he disappeared from the battlefield never to be seen again.
 
Kagome was panting from the effort of killing Kamlyn. She didn't want to kill him but he didn't give her any choice in the matter. She put her sword back in its sheath as she took a couple of deep breath to still her heart.
 
She felt a strong pair of arms encircle her body and knew that it was Sesshomaru as she could finally relax into his hold.
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru had been watching the fight between his mate and Kamlyn. It had been very intense and Kagome was holding her own against him. He was very proud of her and he finally got to see the power that she held. He had never seen her aura glow so brightly before and he knew that she would win this fight.
 
When he saw Kamlyn turn into his true form he almost lost it and started to change. He noticed when Tususki tried to get Kamlyn to change back as he saw him attack his mate. When he turned toward Kagome he noticed that she was standing very still as she concentrated.
 
Her sword started to glow a bright pink and he knew what was coming. It would be the end of Kamlyn as he saw her power being released to attack him. He felt no remorse for what his mate had done to him for he had repeatedly attacked his family. He had threatened his mate and his pups, an act that was wholly condemned in the youkai world not to get the innocent involved in their feuds.
 
He witnessed Kamlyn die a horrific death as he saw the barrier around him disappear and he rushed to be with his mate to calm her. He wrapped his arms around her form as he brought her into his embrace and waited for her to regain control of her emotions. All the while purring his contentment at having won the fight to be his mate.
 
~oOo~
 
Sora was watching her father battling against the human wench. She watched as her father struggled to win the battle. When the human no longer suppressed her aura Sora finally got to see the power that she had within her.
 
Her power was even stronger than her fathers. Her eyes grew big with understanding; she knew deep down in her heart that her father was not going to win this fight. She hoped against all hope that he would concede the battle to her so he could live and then they can plot their revenge against Sesshomaru and his whore.
 
Her eyes grew big when her father transformed into his true form. He was a stunning creature as a giant dog with black fur appeared on the battlefield. His crossed swords appearing on his forehead as he howled his anger at the wretched woman in front of him.
 
She thought that this might be the end of that woman when she noticed that her sword was glowing a bright pink in color. She knew what that light was as she tried to get her father to stop his attack. But she was too late. She watched as he was hit with the pink light and he howled in pain.
 
She saw him go down and thrash around in agony until the pink light finally consumed him, as he disappeared from sight. She would never see her father again as she had witness his demised.
 
She turned angry eyes toward the wench that had dared killed her father as she saw Tususki come forth and declared her a worthy mate for Sesshomaru of the Western Lands. All of their plans went up in smoke. They didn't have the Western Lands, she didn't have her father anymore, but she was determined to kill this whore for what she has done.
 
Foolishly Sora took a deep breath as she stepped forward and said, “I challenge you wench for the right to be Sesshomaru's mate.”
 
~oOo~
 
Sesshomaru was still trying to calm his mate down as he was purring. She had yet to gain control over her emotions when he heard the threat that Sora made to his mate. He growled viciously at her as he said, “WENCH! You have no right to challenge her. She is more powerful than you and I do not wish for you to be my mate. You have tried in the past and I have rejected your every attempt to seduce me. Now get off my lands before I forget that you are now in charge of the Southern Lands and kill you for the insulate bitch that you are.”
 
Sora smirked as she stood her ground and replied to his threat, “You have no choice in this matter Lord Sesshomaru. A challenge has been made and she must take it or she must step down as your intended.”
 
Kagome had heard enough as she looked up with her blood red eyes. She was seeing red for the bitch that was standing in front of her at the moment. She didn't care that she had been weakened when she killed her father. She had made a challenge and she was going to take it, she was going to make her pay for her mistakes.
 
“I accept your challenge for the right to mate with Sesshomaru. But think twice about what you are asking for. I will not be merciful and your death will be a horrific one.” Said Kagome as her blood red eyes narrowed at the bitch standing in front of her.
 
Sora noticed her eyes and thought, `How can a human go into a blood rage? Only a demon can have these feelings and her scent has changed to that of a youkai.' She didn't care one way or the other. She wanted to rule the Southern and the Western Lands.
 
Sesshomaru was just a pawn in her plans and when she got what she wanted she would take care of him once and for all. Her father's death would not be in vain and she was determined to follow through on his last wishes.
 
Kagome struggled to get out of Sesshomaru's embrace as she fought to stand on her own two feet. But her mate was not about to let go of her at the moment as she growled, “Sesshomaru let go of me! I have accepted the challenge and you can't do anything about it.”
 
Sesshomaru heard her words and knew that she was accurate in her assumptions. The law was clearly written that if a female challenged for the right to mate then the female didn't have a choice. But he still had one for he would not mate with that whore no matter what. He would rather step down as Lord of the Western Lands than be stuck in a mating with someone that he didn't love. Kagome already held his heart and he was not about to give her up for no one.
 
He released his mate as he steadied her on her feet. He leaned down and nipped her hard on her neck as he caught her attention and said, “Mate, be careful you're still weak from your fight and I don't want you to get hurt.”
 
Kagome's eyes seemed to turn a little bluer as he was speaking to her. She was starting to get a hold of her emotions when Sora shot them to blood red again. “You heard her request Sesshomaru. Your whore wants to die and I'm willing to give it to her.”
 
Kagome roughly pushed away from her mate as she stood under her own power. She stood tall as she took a deep breath and walked over to the bitch that had issued her the challenge.
 
Kagome stopped as she stood her ground and waited for Sora to attack. She didn't have to wait for long when Sora let go of her youkai and sent it straight for Kagome.
 
Kagome took her hand as she batted away her blast. She waited patiently for her next attack as it came in the form of knives coming through the air.
 
Sora couldn't believe that Kagome just batted away her attack like it was just some sort of fly that was annoying her. She brought her hands up as she said her incantations and knives came out of her hands to attack her enemy.
 
Kagome put up her barrier as it stopped Sora's attack. She smiled wickedly at her as she said, “Is that all the attacks you have. How pathetic. Now let me show you what a real attack is like.”
 
Kagome brought up one hand as a ball of light started to glow in the palm of her hand. She unleashed her attack as it went straight for Sora as she tried to dodge it. She failed miserably as it hit her full force. She fell to the ground not moving as she slowly lifted her head to look at her enemy.
 
Sora never knew that this wench held so much raw power and could do this to her. She thought that her defeating her father was just pure luck but now the realization of her mistake was making itself known. Her father had actually attacked with everything he had and this human female had the power to defeat him.
 
Sora got back on her feet as she faced her enemy. If she was going to die then she would die an honorable death by facing her enemy. She flexed her claws as poison started to come out of them as she charged in Kagome's direction. Her eyes were blood red from her anger and despair.
 
Kagome looked on as Sora made her final attack. She had hoped that the bitch would take the hint that she could not be defeated, but alas she wouldn't back down. She readied herself as she let her get closer. When she was close enough she sent a wave of purifying energy her way and watched as the Lady of the Southern Land was purified right in front of her eyes.
 
Her screams could still be heard in the area as she followed her father to hell. Kagome did not regret her actions. She knew that there would be more in the future, as they would challenge her for her right to be mated to Sesshomaru.
 
Kagome felt weak after that last attack as she started to waver and fall. She never made it to the ground. Sesshomaru was by her side in an instant as he held her close to his chest.
 
Sesshomaru heard his mate groan in his arms as he looked at her. He was concerned for her health because she looked pale from the effort it took to fight today. He felt his mate relax into his hold as she tried to control her breathing.
 
The battle was finally over and Kagome was proclaimed the victor in the battle. She had earned the right to be Sesshomaru's mate and all there bared witness to this fact. They were about to turn and go back to the castle when Sesshomaru felt a very strong aura in the area as he held Kagome closer to his chest.
 
He felt his mates grip tighten on his haori as he picked up the scent of fear coming from his mate. He knew that Ryo was in the area and now he was making himself known to them.
 
Then out of the forest came Ryo in his human form. He was a tall youkai with long black hair that flowed down to below his knee. His eyes were a bright yellow telling of his reptile heritage. His claws were longer than Sesshomaru's and his skin appeared to have scales on it. He stood a little taller than Sesshomaru. His fangs came out of his mouth as he had a wicked smile on his face. He wore a black hakama and haori with black armor chest plate
 
He looked older than the rest of them there in the clearing and his aura was a powerful one.
 
Sesshomaru pulled his mate closer to his side as he said, “Ryo! What do you want here?”
 
Ryo arched an eyebrow at the young lord of the West as he smiled and said, “Isn't obvious? I have come for your mate.”
 
~oOo~
 
All right the end to another chapter! Sorry to end it at a cliffy but after 33 typed pages for this test I think it was long enough. Now you all will have to wait to see what happens with Ryo and Sesshomaru.
 
I want to give my deepest thanks to Advi for giving me the questions for the knowledge test. For all of you who don't know who she is, she is the author of Traveling with Sesshomaru on FanFiction.net. This is an awesome story and if you all have not read it yet I highly recommend it to you. She is a gifted author and came to my aid when I asked for help. If you read her story make sure you leave a review. It's the only way that we can improve on our writing. Thank you Advi for your help in making this chapter. I owe you one.
 
I was asked why do I post during the week. Well to put it simply the only time I have to write is on the weekend. Then I edit the story during the week and post it. Otherwise all of you would have to wait to read the next chapter.
 
Your response to my question in the last chapter was overwhelming. The majority of you said that I should do it my way. So be it. Thank you all for responding to my question I do appreciate it.
 
Ryo has appeared and is determined to get Kagome away from Sesshomaru. But Sesshomaru is not willing to let her go so easily. New allies come into the fight that will shock the Western Lord. But would it be enough to protect Kagome from Ryo a powerful dragon demon. You have to wait to find out.
 
Until the next chapter!
 
Ja ne!