InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone ❯ At Odds ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any other characters created by Rumiko Takahashi.


Chapter 6 – At Odds

She was very close: the musk of her scent was maddeningly strong. Inuyasha was amazed that she had managed to travel so far in so short a time. Leaping up through the forest canopy, he caught sight of her on the bank of the river. ‘Ha! Found you, wench.’ Typical, she had stopped for a bath.

Landing neatly on his feet, he dropped into a crouch and cautiously crept forward. He didn’t want to startle her and risk her taking flight. He was also disturbed by the effect her scent had on him. The closer he got to her, the more he had to fight his youkai instincts to run her down and –

He gulped and ran a shaky hand though his hair. He wouldn’t, couldn’t go there. This was Kagome he was thinking about! He had a responsibility to protect her.

He finally reached the edge of the trees and peeked through. She lay on her back on a boulder, eyes closed, with her feet in the water. He watched her breasts rise and fall with her breathing, admiring the view though the gap in the kimono. Head thrown back and to the side, lips slightly parted, arms splayed to the side, she lay in a position of surrender. He groaned and turned away, sitting down hard. He had seen her in many different states of undress, but never had she been more enticing. He could almost feel her smooth skin under his claws, so warm and soft. His nails would slice effortlessly through the fabric and his tongue would follow, licking the sweat from between her breasts. Her eyes would open and she would gasp his name…

“Inuyasha!”

With a start, he realized that she was sitting up, her eyes wide as saucers, staring at him. He had slunk forward during his fantasy, body vibrating with a low growl, and was now within a few feet of her. He scrambled backward until his back hit something hard, then sat there, flushed and panting, looking at anything but her.

“Inuyasha?” she said hesitantly and leaned slightly forward on her hands. “Are you OK?”

Not trusting himself to speak, he cleared his throat and nodded, his ears flicking in agitation. Her cloying redolence rooted him to the spot. He heard feet touch the ground and crunch through the river rocks toward him. His hands spasmed, digging his claws into the moist dirt. Her toes came into his field of vision and he marveled at the claws that tipped each graceful digit. His gaze traveled the length of her legs, tracing the curve of her hips and waist, lingering over her breasts and finally reached her face. Gold eyes met silver ones.

He smelled the salt before her eyes filled with tears. “Am I that hideous?” she whispered, her silver eyes shimmering like mercury.

Her words took a moment to register; he could barely hear her over the pounding of his heart. “What?” She quickly looked away and crossed her arms over her chest. He got a quick peek of a delicately pointed ear. He shook himself mentally and tore his eyes from her. ‘Get a hold of yourself!’

“You… looked so strange… a minute ago. I thought...you were going to attack me.” The flash of fangs behind her lips was enough to mesmerize him.

“Keh. Stupid girl,” he said, trying to hide the quaver in his voice. Unshed tears dried as her eyebrows shot together in a frown. She glared down at him.

“I’m not stupid!” Her scent shifted from seductive to angry in an instant, giving him a much-needed respite from his instincts. He stood and backed away from her, stepping over the rock that had blocked his path earlier.

“You think I look strange?” Now that her scent wasn’t driving him crazy, his concern for her was coming to the forefront as anger. “You’re alone for one fucking night and look what happens.” He gestured vaguely at her claws and stolen kimono. “I can’t take my eyes off you for a minute!”

“I got a new shard of the jewel, I’ll have you know,” she retorted. “By myself!” She stepped up to him and shoved the bottle containing the shards under his nose.

‘But at what cost?’ he thought, leaning back and eyeing her again. He couldn’t detect her miko aura. “Feh. You were lucky, wench. That lizard was weak, even with a shard.”

Her aura flared red in fury and her clawed hand connected with his face before either of them realized she had swung, leaving four long gashes on his cheek. He caught her other hand just before it landed, twisting it down and around so that her body had to turn with her back to him. He grabbed her other forearm, effectively immobilizing her. He held her for a moment, then lowered his head to her hair, breathing in. The proximity to her was clouding his mind. Unable to resist, he lightly stroked her ear with the tip of his nose. She gasped and arched her back, her scent spiking. Barely suppressing a moan, he relaxed his grip and pulled away.

She turned to him slowly, eyes downcast, hands twisting into knots. She peeked up at him from under her bangs, then quickly looked away, a blush dusting her cheeks. Could she sense the torture she was putting him through? If her nose were anywhere near as good as his, she would be able to smell his arousal. He desperately hoped that she didn’t know how to read the scents.

“Inuyasha…” she whispered, then paused. She enclosed the shard bottle in her hand and gave it an absent tug.

He resisted an urge to stroke her cheek and tucked his arms into the sleeves of his haori. ‘What is she trying to tell me?’

“I…” her eyes widened as she let go of the bottle and raised her claws to her face, inhaling the scent of his blood. “I hurt you…” She reached out to touch the scratches. He jerked back from her touch, swatting her hand away.

“It’s nothing.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I said it’s nothing.”

“But –“

“Damn it, wench!” He relented when she recoiled. “Kagome,” he said more gently, “will you tell me what happened? Why have you changed?”

Kagome sighed and pressed the palms of her hands against her eyes. She was so confused. Since she had woken up to a feral hanyou stalking her on the riverbank, she hadn’t been able to organize her chaotic thoughts and emotions into anything that made sense. Her first thought had been to flee; he had seemed on the edge of transforming into a full demon. But something had stopped her. A tone in his scent had trapped her, made her want to be caught. The tension had been almost too much to bear and his name had been wrung out of her, breaking the spell.

Then he had behaved so strangely, backing away from her and refusing to meet her eyes. When he had finally looked at her, he seemed to see someone else entirely. ‘At least he wasn’t seeing Kikyo,’ she thought with a hint of satisfaction. Of course, he had to open his big mouth and start an argument, and he had made her so mad. But she hadn’t meant to strike him. She caught her breath at the thought of his touch when he had captured her. The wild cedar aroma had invaded her brain and his warm breath on her skin had melted her insides, turning her knees to jelly. He had never touched her like before. No one had touched her like that.

He was looking at her expectantly. “Ummm,” she stalled. She would have to ‘fess up to something. She had tried to tell him about her miko powers, or lack thereof, but the words had stuck in her throat. ‘What if he rejects me completely? If I can’t be his jewel detector, then what good am I?’ But she should tell him what she knew of her transformation. Maybe they could find a way to reverse the effects before her missing miko powers became an issue.

‘Don’t tell him, not yet.’ The strange voice was back, but it seemed much closer than before. Not it, she; the voice was female. ‘Why not? Tell him about what, exactly?’ ‘Not... yet.’

“I’m waiting,” he warned, tapping his foot.

Kagome hesitated. “Well…”

“The hot spring?” he prompted.

She nodded. “There was this little carving of a frog. It…I don’t know. I… kissed it –“

“You WHAT?”

“I said I-“

“I heard what you said. Of all the stupid fucking things to do…”

“Hey! Don’t go judging me, mister. You were the one off chasing Kikyo! Were you kissing her?”

“Dammit, wench! Stop dragging her into this,” he threw up his hands and stomped to the edge of the river. ‘Why did she have to bring up Kikyo again?’ He felt her eyes boring into the back of his skull as he waited for her to say something. When nothing was forthcoming, he looked at her over his shoulder.

She was staring at him, her eyes hard and cold as steel. Her hands were balled into fists but her face was impassive. He felt a gulf open up between them; he was teetering on the edge.

‘He didn’t deny it,’ Kagome thought as she watched him. ‘He wants her, not you.’ Her body felt numb.

“I didn’t kiss her,” he said quietly.

She blinked, but her expression didn’t change. ‘Maybe not this time, but you still went to her.’ Her fists tightened, pushing sharp nails through the skin of her palms.

The aroma of her blood was heavy on the air. He closed his eyes and turned away. “And then what?” She didn’t answer, silently challenging him. A growl worked its way up from his chest. “Kagome…”

“Oi, dog-breath! What the hell did you do to my woman?”
Converting /tmp/phpOMWyfs to /dev/stdout