InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone ❯ Kikyo's Gift ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N:

FFnet
Jon C, Owari Nai Yumes, MiniSparky, heather, Toya's Gurl, Forgotten Angel, GnomeInuyasha, TaintedInuShemeeko, dragonSpired48,
Sangome: No, she wasn't this evil in the manga though she's done some strange stuff. I'm just having a little fun with her because I don't like her.

arla love: I'm not ending it very soon.

MMorg
Sara R, alize, aNiMe HeLLcat

Disclaimer - I do not own any character created by Rumiko Takahashi

Chapter 23 - Kikyo's Gift

Kagome sat on her bed and stared down at the square of red silk in her hand. “Kikyo gave you this to give to me?” She was feeling a little silly, now that the situation had been explained to her. She should never have doubted him like that, but seeing them together had hurt so much that she hadn’t even considered that it could be innocent. ‘Who can blame you, he used to go to her all the time.’

Inuyasha nodded, watching her face closely. She’d perked up after a nap but he still had the feeling that she was fragile and could break at any moment. However, keeping his promise to her, he had given her Kikyo’s present. “She said it was a wedding gift.”

Kagome rubbed her nose with a finger and giggled softly. “But we aren’t married.”

Shrugging, he scooted closer to her and rested his chin on her shoulder. “We are for youkai.”

“I really should tell my mother.” She frowned and closed her hand around the gift, trying to feel the shape of the object inside. Something about it made her skin crawl, but she couldn’t place it. ‘I’m probably jumping at shadows…’

“Ain’t ya gonna open it?”

“You don’t know what it is?”

“Keh. It’s for you; I didn’t open it.”

“Hmmm,” she opened her fist and examined the silk suspiciously. ‘Don’t be stupid, Kikyo wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.‘ Tugging on the black cord, she untied the knot and unfolded the silk. Lying in her palm was a small pendant of green jade, a thin leather thong looped through the hole at the top. Thick in the center and thin at the edges, it was carved in the shape of a spiral with the center of the spiral at the thickest part of the pendant. Inuyasha picked it up by the thong and let it hang in the air, spinning slowly. “What do you think it is?”

“Beats me,” he said as he separated the strings and wrapped them around her neck. Kagome lifted her hair as he tied the two ends together. Dropping her hair, she fingered the pendant, still unable to shake the feeling that something was wrong.

After knocking softly, Mrs. Higurashi opened the door a crack and peeked in. “Could I interest either of you in some lunch?” Kagome quickly tucked the pendant under her nightshirt and smiled at her mother.

“Sure, Mom. Thanks!”

“My pleasure, dear,” her face withdrew, leaving them alone again.

“Inuyasha?” she twisted around to wrap her arms around his waist. He held her close, his heart beating in time with hers. What would he have done if she hadn’t forgiven him?

“Yeah?”

“I’m sorry I overreacted. I won‘t doubt you again.”

“Keh,” he muttered gruffly around the rising lump in his throat.

*****

“Mom, can we have a word with you?” Kagome let the words tumble out of her mouth before she could change her mind.

Mrs. Higurashi looked up from her book, her glasses propped on her nose. “Of course, dear.” She set the book aside and waited for her daughter and the hanyou to settle themselves on the couch. Hanyous, she corrected herself as Kagome’s bangs shifted and the star on her forehead peeked through. Inuyasha was scowling off into space, his arms tucked into his sleeves. She had the impression that this talk was Kagome‘s idea. “I’m listening,” she prompted.

“Well, as you know, Inuyasha and I have gotten very close…” she fidgeted with hem of her blouse.

“I’m glad you’ve worked out your differences,” she reached over and patted her daughter’s hands.

“Uhh, yeah, that was a misunderstanding,” Kagome said, waving her hand in the air as if to brush away the past. Inuyasha snorted and glowered at the ground.

“You’re not pregnant, are you?” Mrs. Higurashi tried to catch her eyes, wondering what it was that she was so reluctant to tell her.

“No! Inuyasha can smell when I’m…” Kagome blushed furiously at her own words, having just admitted that they were having sex to her mother. As if she didn’t know already. “No, we’re…”

“Mates,” Inuyasha bit out. Kagome’s nervousness put him on edge and he wanted this discussion over and done with as quickly as possible. It’s not like her mother could do anything about it now anyway; mating was forever.

Mrs. Higurashi leaned back in her chair, her lips gathered in a an ‘O’. She drummed her fingertips against the arm of the chair for a moment. “And what does that mean?”

“Youkai marriage, mom.”

“I see.” She glanced from Kagome to Inuyasha, then back again, still drumming her fingers on the arm of the chair. “Were you planning to have a wedding ceremony?”

“Not really…youkai don’t marry other youkai. They mark each other.”

“I suppose that’s not something you invite guests to?” she asked wistfully. She had long since gotten used to the idea that her daughter was in love with a half demon, and hadn’t been surprised when they had decided to become physically intimate, but she really had looked forward to a wedding. Just a small ceremony, nothing fancy…

Inuyasha choked and started coughing. Kagome felt the heat suffusing her face at the mental image of her mother, grandfather and Souta at the campsite in the woods, dressed in gowns and tuxedos, toasting their happiness as Inuyasha and she… “No, mom.”

Mrs. Higurashi sighed, white veils, floral arrangements, and champagne slipping through her fingers. “I hope you reconsider. You were born human, remember.”

“A lot has changed.”

“I know it has, dear. Where are you going to live?”

“We moved into a little house in Sango’s village…”

Inuyasha’s attention wandered as the conversation moved into home decorating, gardening, and other domestic human things. Something that Kagome said was bothering him: ‘Inuyasha can smell when I’m…’ in heat, he finished the thought for her. Now that he thought about it, shouldn’t she be in heat now? She was at this time last month. As a human, her cycle had been monthly but he supposed it could have changed. He’d have to ask her about it later.

“Isn’t that right, Inuyasha?” Kagome stared at him expectantly.

“Uhh… yeah.” He winced inwardly, wondering what it was he’d just agreed to, but not about to admit that he hadn’t been listening.

Mrs. Higurashi smiled warmly at him, “Well that’s wonderful.”

*****

Inuyasha leapt out of the well, Kagome’s big yellow backpack slung over his shoulder. Dropping it on the ground, he turned to stare down the well, waiting impatiently for Kagome to appear. Her mother had taken the news of their mating pretty well, almost as if she’d expected it, but had wanted a few last words with Kagome before she left.

Several minutes later, the well filled with light and Kagome stood at the bottom, looking up. She grinned at him and pushed off the ground, clearing the lip of the well and landing neatly beside him. “Ready to go home?” she asked, picking up her backpack.

“Keh. I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Whatever,” her laughter faltered as the ghost of a shadow flitted across her face. She shook her head and blinked, her eyes unfocused. The backpack slipped to the ground, forgotten.

“Kagome? What is it?”

She pressed a palm to her chest; it was as if a great weight were settling into her body. “Nothing, I just…feel dizzy.” She reeled and caught herself on the edge of the well, sitting hard on the grass. The weight seemed to press harder on her, saturating her limbs with lead as the sky spun above her. Inuyasha’s anxious face filled her vision, his mouth moving, but his voice was distorted and low. She tried to call his name as blackness over came her.

“Kagome? Kagome!” Inuyasha caught her before she fell backward into the grass, propping her up against the wall of the well and patting her cheek. Her eyes rolled back into her head and slid shut, her face flushed and her body radiating a fierce heat. Tearing open the backpack, he dumped the contents on the ground and snatched up a bottle of water. He twisted off the cap and poured it over her face and neck, frantically looking for signs of improvement.

Her eyes snapped open, drops of water quivering on her lashes. Before he could react, she grabbed the ball of her chained scythe and struck him across the forehead. He tumbled backward, stars popping before his eyes, too surprised to yell in pain. Leaning into a crouch, she yanked the scythe into her hand and sent it whirring toward him. He rolled to the side but felt the blade slice through his torso and ricochet off the hilt of Tetsusaiga. “Kagome, stop!“

Warm blood soaked his side as he rolled again to avoid another swing of the scythe, which buried itself in the ground next to his head. Her face blank and eyes calm, Kagome pounced on him, claws extended toward his neck. He lunged backward, knocking her claws away but losing his balance as he hit the wall of the well. Tumbling head over heels, he fell backward into the well. Unable to catch himself, the time warp swallowed him.

“What the fuck?” he asked the shrine roof, laying on his back and clutching his side to staunch the bleeding. She had been fine one moment, then she’d passed out and tried to kill him? Growling in frustration, he climbed to his feet and waited for the well to open again, tensing himself for another attack. He had been taken by surprise this time, but there was no way she could beat him when he was ready. He would subdue her and figure out what had taken hold of her; there was no doubt in his mind that something had possessed her.

Finally, the time warp activated and the scents and sounds of his own time enveloped him. Kagome’s musky scent was faint but lingering; she wasn’t waiting to ambush him. He thrust off the ground and landed outside the well with a grunt of pain, staggering as he fought for balance. His haori was soaked with blood and his ribs burned. ‘I must have been hurt worse than I thought.’ He scanned the field for his mate. Her yellow backpack still lay empty in the grass, but its owner was gone.