InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drips, Drops, and Drabbles ❯ Gifts ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Another second place winner. I don't think I've taken the time to explain these Drabbles, so I'll do it now. All of these are written for a contest. I write one drabble a week based on a pre-set theme. For example, this weeks theme was money.
 
Gifts
 
“Women like a man who can provide for them,” His father had always said. “Give them gifts, and they will love you in time.” Hojo looked down at the simple package in his hands. It was the third one this week, the ninth one this month, and the forty eighth one this year.
 
He had given her gifts, everything from flowers to remedies for her many aliments. He had made paper cranes for her until his fingers bled, and asked after her everyday. Yet, she still was not beside him.
 
At first he had blamed her illnesses; surely she could not have the energy to expend on a relationship with all she was going through. Then he had blamed her busy schedule, she was a shrine maiden on top of her school work and illnesses after all.
 
He had heard the whispers, her friends talking about some other boy she liked. But they said he was not good for her, not anything like him. She was too good for a man like that.
 
Now, he questioned his father's wisdom. His gifts had not bought him her love. Perhaps this other man had given her an even greater gift then he.