InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Early December ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: For the very last time this fic- (thank the gods!)- I do not own Inu-Yasha.

Author's Note: Two quick things before my good-bye-to-this-fic-speech. One: I was slightly disappointed to notice that about 10% of the readers of this fic didn't take it upon themselves to read the quick A/N I posted last chapter telling about this epilogue. So if they never read this, I guess that's their loss. Thank you to everyone who DID bother to read it. (-; Two: I had a complaint about the labor being only 9 hours. Apparently, that's not very long. Look, I'm sorry, but for those of you who haven't noticed- this is fanfiction. I do NOT go researching up facts just to write a little story for FUN. Sorry, but I don't. If you have a problem, I apologize, but for the most part I honestly skip over your complaints. I admit I can be petty- so sorry, but a lot of your whining goes unanswered. (-:

That said, I own everyone a HUGE thanks. Not only for reading, but for being so very patient with me. I know I was terrible when it came to updating this fic- I won't deny it. But you held on. And you didn't give up on me just because my grammar sucked and I made frequent spelling mistakes. One of you (or even a few of you) nominated this fic for an elimination contest! You guys are the sole reason I continued to write this, and for that I thank you.

Extra special thanks goes to Chibi Horsewoman, who took it upon herself to send me e-mails about the horrors and pleasures of pregnancy. Seeing as how I've never been pregnant and don't plan on being so for a long time (if you knew how old I am you'd understand, but I'm not allowed to tell you. (-; ), she was a HUGE help. I couldn't have done it without you, Chibi Horsewoman-san! Love to you and your family, and thanks again! This epilogue is dedicated to you and your children. XD

Also, thanks to my friends Sara, Molly, and Emily, who were constantly on my back about updating. Thanks for the encouragement and- on occasion- threats to help persuade me to update. (-:

All in all, I've had a great time writing this fic. Many times it didn't seem like it, I'm sure, but really, I have. It was nice to be different- to do an Inu/Kag preggo story without the angst and drama one sees in most of the fics out there. It was nice to expand my horizons- to write limes and fluff, to make fun of hormones and the hell that comes with it. It was nice to write something that I knew many people looked forward to reading and begged for updates for, no matter how annoying it got at times. It was nice to read everyone's opinions on the future offspring of our favorite couples. (I'm still getting e-mails with genetic squares on them, by the way. @.@) And finally, it was nice to create two special characters that- for some reason or another- you all fell in love with. Kaguya and Kori both thank you for giving them a chance, as do I.

Now, without further ado, the long awaited epilogue to Early December. Please enjoy- you all deserve it!

-Epilogue-

-Kori's PoV-

If there is one thing that I've learnt over the fourteen years of my life, it's that you can't stop change. No matter how much you want to and how hard you try, change is inevitable.

The world turns.

Seasons pass.

People grow.

Change happens.

And, as Daddy says, `You just have to get used to it, dammit!'.

Yup.

You just have to get used to it.

Now if only I can get Daddy to believe his own words. . .

"Daddy, please! It's just for an evening! I promise we won't do anything rash or foolish!" I beg, clasping my hands before my chest and all but groveling at his feet, my ears lowering in the pout that he usually can't resist.

Usually.

"No way, no how, NU UH!" he roars, stomping past me and storming out the door, refusing point blank to continue with our conversation.

"Oh. . . damn," I moan defeatedly, flopping next to Mama on the ground by the hearth. I glare at her as she begins chuckles quietly, shaking her head. "It's not funny, Mama," I ground out, annoyed. "Why won't Daddy let me go out with Hiniku? We'll be perfectly chaste!"

"Oh, you're father's just being stubborn," she laughs lightly, smiling at me in only the way my mother can. Tweaking my ear affectionately as I pout, she gets to her feet and begins bustling around for lunch. "He doesn't want to believe that his little girl is growing up. Why, it seems just yesterday that you were only three, and we had to chase your little naked butt all through the village because you thought it'd be easier to fly without your clothes o- - - "

"MAMA! PLEASE!" I gasp; glaring at her as an embarrassed flush takes over my face. "No baby stories! Please no baby stories! And for the love of the gods, no baby pictures, either!" Yes, a prime example of why disposable cameras should be forbidden in feudal Japan- my mama. You should see the number of photo books we have! It's irritating. . . And she just HAS to show EVERYONE how much I've grown from page to page. . .

"All right, all right," mama smiles, rolling her eyes. "I'll shut up."

"Thank you," I sigh in relief, dragging myself up as well; dusting off my deep blue kimono. "Heaven knows my fate if gloomy enough without your tales from hell. . ."

"Look," my mother grins, still undaunted as she pushes a stray lock of her black hair behind her ear. "Don't worry. I'll talk to Inu-Yasha. You'll be going out with this male friend of yours this time tomorrow."

!


"R-Really?!" I gasp, eyes shining as mama nods, grinning. "Oh, Mama! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!" I breathe; running over and hugging her tightly before bolting out of our house like a streak of lighting.

-

"Wooooah! What's your rush, hon?"

I skid to a sudden stop as I register Kaguya's voice drifting from the river near by. Turning on my heel, I find my cousin (at least, I consider her my cousin) blinking up at me from her casual, laid back seat upon the shore. Her long, loosely-braided midnight locks tickle her mid-back as her charcoaled violet eyes shimmer with curiosity. Her maroon ribbons have long since been discarded, as have many of her heavy robes. She looks as beautiful as always- though a bit more sweaty-, and just as kind. No wonder all the men in the village worship her. "The Tennyo" they cry as she passes by, usually hand in hand with me as we shop. "Wish she was still a pervert, like she was at five," some of them comment as she drags me from booth to booth. Once I asked her what they meant by that, but she just blushed and rubbed her temples, muttering something about it being a stupid baby story.

I allowed the subject to drop.

"I have to go tell Hiniku that Mama says I can go catch fireflies with him tomorrow for his birthday!" I sing, beaming as she grins widely.

"Hiniku? Kouga's eldest?" she snickers. "Heh. I bet Unccy Inu isn't too pleased about that."

I deflate within an instant.


"No, he's not," I reply softly, looking down at the ground with a small frown. Kaguya cocks her head in question at my sudden mood swing.

"Hey. . ." she calls softly, beckoning me over with a hand. "Come here, hon." She smiles as I slowly do so, unceremoniously plopping next to her near the water. I watch our reflections ripple as my cousin crawls upon her knees, situating herself behind me. "Now tell me what you see in the water."

"Myself," I reply, nonplussed as Kaguya begins to play with my wavy, hip-length gray hair. Picking twigs and burs out of it, she combs through it with her fingers. "My 14-year-old self and my 19-year-old cousin."

"That's right," she nods, gently patting my shoulder. "You're 14! Your dad's just being a prick. And believe me, that's nothing new. He just doesn't want to admit you're growing up, Kori-chan. My Daddy was the same way when boys started showing an interest in me."

I can't help but giggle. "You mean, when he sealed all those `demon be gone' spells to your house?"

"Right after he marked out `demon' and replaced it with `teenage boys'," Kaguya nodded grimly, rolling her eyes. "Yes. All fathers are like that, and yours is no different. Just forget about it, and have fun with Hiniku, all right? Unncy Inu will come around. My father did."

"I guess. . ." I murmur, pulling my legs to my chin and running my hands over the rough fabric of my pants; toying with the decorative skirt that circles my waist.

"Now, then," Kaguya claps, working my thick hair into a bun and tying it with one of her ribbons. Her attempt only half works, and multiple curling bangs end up kissing my cheeks. "Tell me about this Hiniku."

My face flushes slightly as I try to keep my voice nonchalant. "What's there to tell? He's Uncle Kouga's and Aunt Ayame's son, he likes to fight, his favorite color is blue, and he enjoys chasing fireflies."

"Isn't he also a year younger than you?" my cousin waggles her eyebrows, scooting on her rear to sit next to me. I glare playfully.

"Yeah, so?"

"So," she winks, "I don't think you should court someone a WHOLE YEAR younger than you. Unless little baby Kori has a THING for younger men. . . ?"

"Hey! Lay off!" I can't help but grin, gently punching Kaguya's arm. "At least I don't have a thing for- - -!"

"Well, hello there, ladies," a teasing voice comes from beside us, and I inwardly smirk as my cousin's face instantly turns pink. "And how are you on this lovely afternoon?"

"Quite hot, Shippo nii-chan," I beam, turning my face up to my elder brother's and ignoring Kaguya as she discreetly kicks my shin. "And you?"

"Stifling," he agrees before dropping next to Kaguya, leaning back on his hands with a small smile- the odd, `smirk-like' one that he learnt from my father. I almost laugh as my cousin all but swoons before Shippo, her eyes quickly darting from his opened shirt to his sparking emerald eyes.

Kaguya, I decide, is pathetic. And very much in love. Poor girl.

We all sit in silence for a few moments, Kaguya working to keep calm, me trying hard not to laugh, and Shippo simply staring at me; a thoughtful glimmer in his eyes.

After a while I begin to notice his stares and arching an eyebrow at him. "Yes. . . ?"

"Just thinkin'," he replies easily, not missing a beat. He continues to grin as he shakes his head. "I can't believe you're so old, Kori. . . You know, you're almost as old as your mother was when she fell through the well."

"She's your mother, too," I correct him softly, sitting up so that I can poke him kindly in the chest. I can't help but smile when I notice Kaguya's slightly jealous expression. "And yes, I know."

"It really has been 14 years, hasn't it?" he continues nostalgically, cocking his head at me. "Sometimes it's hard to believe. . . It's like I just blinked and my little sister grew up! And now she's going out with other men. . . Heh. And you!" He rounds on Kaguya, still beaming. "I can't believe the little five year old who went around looking for orgies is such a young lady already!"

. . . I really don't want to know.

And she, it seems, doesn't want to remember.

Kaguya's briefly hangs her head- either from embarrassment or shame-, before looking up with a big, forced grin. Poor Kaguya. . . trying so hard. . . "Yep, I really have grown, haven't I. . . ?"


"Oh yeah," he laughs. "But no matter what- you're still that little girl to me!"

This time, her head doesn't come up for a few minutes.

Stupid Shippo.


"Well, I've gotta get going," my big brother announces, getting to his feet with a soft sigh. "Mama asked me to find Dad- seems like she needs to sit some sense into him again." He winks knowledgeably at me before speeding off, leaving me to comfort my frustrated and love-sick cousin.

-

After a half-hour of assurance and listening to the usual `how can he not notice?!' rant, I finally manage to convince Kaguya that my brother is an idiot. As soon as she is sure of this fact I'm able to bolt off, once again searching for Hiniku.


But once again, I'm distracted.

This time- - -

"Kori-chan! Kori-chan!"

- - - By my uncle and his. . . er. . . lackeys.

"Rin-san!" I greet with a smile, slowing my run down to a jog and then halting all together, noting in frustration that I only made it to the well without stopping. "And how are you?"

"Wonderful, thanks," she grins, oblivious to Sessho-Maru and Jaken, who are standing behind her with deadpan expression upon their faces. "Anyway, we were just in the neighborhood, so Sessho-Maru sama decided it was time for another one of your monthly check ups."

"Oh my," I force my grin not to waver. "It's been a month already. . . ?"

"Sure has!" she chirps, before stepping back and allowing my uncle to approach. He gives me a slow once over, seemingly oblivious as I give a little fidget, and then crouches down to my eye level- which isn't as far of a squat as it used to be. "Where is your father?" he then asks in a monotone, not once, per usual, sparing any time for pleasantries.

"Around somewhere. He stormed off earlier," I answer honestly. He can smell when I lie, after all. Like the time I used the Staff of Heads to mix up my mud pies and tried to get away with it. I half-wish my nose was as good as his- I have a very human sense of smell- but in the end I guess I'm just happy with my great ears. Being able to smell everything probably isn't all it's cracked up to be- just like hearing everything can give you a headache.

"Oh?" he murmurs with a frown. "Why? Did your mother and he have a disagreement?"

"No. He and I did," I admit.

"About. . . ?" he presses quietly.

"I want to go out on a date with my friend Hiniku."

"Hm. Aside from that, have you been behaving?"

"Mostly."

"Good. How is your mother?"

"She's fine."

"Is he still treating her well?"

"Yes."

"Has he threatened to leave?"

"No."

"Is he treating you well?"

"Yes."

"Has he hurt you? Intentionally? On accident?"

"No."

"Is he still as stubborn as an ass?"

"Yes."

"Has your mother given me permission to kill him yet?"

"No."

"Damn," he mutters under his breath before straightening once more, shooting a cool glance my way as I breathe a soft sigh of relief- glad to have his intense eyes off of my face. With that, he turns and nods to the others; expressions still non-existent upon his features. It's as if showing emotion would pain him. . . I don't understand my uncle. "Let's go," he commands blankly, turning to hike back into the brush with a spluttering Jaken on his heels. Rin takes a moment to wave to me, though, before rushing off after him. Nope, years of growing hasn't changed her one bit- she's still childlike, innocent, and even more naive then me, despite the fact that she's over twenty years older. Part of me thinks it's just an act, and that in private she's much more. . . .mature. After all, why else would she be traveling with Sessho-Maru if she didn't. . . you know. . .

I shake my head, not wanting to think about it. Besides-

I still have a potential boyfriend to find.

-

If I'm not distracted again, it will be a small mirac- - -

Hm?

I guess today isn't my day for miracles.

Slowing to a sudden stop, I blink over to see my father outside Kaede's hut.


"Mama would kill you if she knew you were here."

- - - Standing at Kikyo-sama's grave.

He jumps slightly, not having noticed my sudden appearance (I guess I was down wind), before turning to face me with a tiny grin. ". . . You're probably right." He releases the balloon flowers in his hand, and I watch as they drift gently to the ground near the bottom of the tiny shrine.

"So what are you doing here, then?" I question, stepping slowly forward to join him; kneeling down in honor of my dead godmother. (One of my many godmothers, actually.) He sits casually next to me (Daddy never has been one for showing much respect towards anyone) and crosses his arms and legs.

"Thinking, I guess," he shrugs. "And someone's gotta visit her grave."

"Kaede-sama. . . ?"

"You know what I mean."

I mimic his shrug before inclining my head in a short, honorable bow. Then I stare at my father from the corner of my eye. ". . . Do you still miss her?"

He sighs and looks up at the cloudless sky. "Of course I do. She was very important to me."

I bite the inside of my cheek, not saying much for a moment. It's not that I dislike Kikyo-sama- I honestly do like her. I just don't enjoy thinking about her and Daddy ever being together. I tend to be very loyal towards my mother. "Do you still love her?"

Daddy chuckles dryly, as if slightly amused. A bird sings near by, landing on a springy pine branch. "Love is a complex thing, Kori. It's different for everyone."

I frown. "That doesn't answer my question." And he knows it. The bird silences itself. Guess Mr. Bird knows it, too.

". . .Well. . ." he thinks for a moment, as if contemplating his response. "I suppose I do."

. . .


My face darkens dangerously. Shippo tells me that I look a lot like Mama when that happens.

"But in a very different way then the way I love you and your mother," he continues, still gazing off into space. "I still care for her as a person, as a friend, even. Like I said, she was very important to me, and the one I consider my `first love'. But am I still `in love' with her?" He laughs quietly and throws an arm around me, surprising me and causing me to fall against his shoulder. Not that I mind too much. "No way in hell."

. . .


"Daddy?" I inquire, looking up at him as I curl into his side.

"Yes?"

"Did you ever expect to fall in love with someone like Mama?"

He laughs again- something that villagers still shoot us odd looks for. I guess he didn't laugh often before I was born. "Never in a million years. Or, should I say, five hundred years." He grins at me and ruffles my hair, causing it to fall out of the bun. Oh well. It was rather uncomfortable anyway. "Believe it or not, kid, but partial demons like ourselves weren't always as well treated as we are today."

"It's because of your defeating Naraku that made people show us more respect," I nod, having heard of my parents adventures concerning the Shikon no Tama many, many times. (Shippo likes to tell me the story, too, but somehow the tales always sound different when they come from him. Probably because it seems that he's always the one defeating the youkai. . . )

"That's right," he replies a bit proudly. "And so when Kikyo first showed an interest in me- and it wasn't an interest in killing me- I thought I was pretty damn lucky. So I was willing to change myself for her. But then. . . well, you know what happened to us." I knew. I'd known since I was five- when me and Mama and Daddy were taking a bath together, like they used the bathe Kaguya, and I asked him what that line over his heart was. It was a scar- the only scar I'd ever seen on him- and he told me it was from an arrow. Mama told me the rest later. I hadn't brought it up since.

"But then, one very strange and magical day I met your mother. And I knew she was different."

"You did not. You tried to kill her `cause you thought she was Kikyo-sama!"

". . . Well, yeah, but after that little fiasco I knew."

"Uh huh," I grin patronizingly. "I believe THAT."

"Oh- shut it, runt," he shakes his head, whapping me gently on the arm. "Look, you would have been mad too if you'd been sealed to a damn tree for fifty years and then got sat about five times the moment you woke up!"

"I suppose," I admit with a nose-wrinkling smile. But then I pause, eyebrows knitting together in thought.

"Hmm?" he glances down at me with a questioning gaze. "What is it?"

"Is that why you won't let me go out with Hiniku?" I frown. "Because of your bad luck in the love department?"

He instantly stiffens. "NO," he growls. "That's not it."

Right. . .


"Then what Mama says is true? You just don't want to see me grow up?" I press, poking my father in the sides. He squirms away slightly, though he still holds me close.

I take that as a yes.

"Oh. . . Stupid Daddy," I sigh, shaking my head and kissing him on the cheek. He grunts something under his breath and I can't help but roll my eyes. "Look- it's just one date. It's not like I'm gonna go out and mate or anything."

"Don't joke around about that," he warns. "Your mother was only a few years older than you when we became mates!"

"And you never met her father, so you had no problems, right?" I can't help but smirk, biting back a snicker when he bites his tongue. "Look, Daddy- I promise we won't do anything like that. We're just going out to catch fireflies! Please may I go?"

". . ."

"Mama already said I could."

". . ."

"You know what will happen if you disagree." I give his rosary the softest of tugs and he blows out his cheeks in defeat.

"Oh. . . FINE," he half-snarls, still pouting as I squeal.

"Thank you, Daddy!" I coo, hugging him tightly and kissing him one more time before bolting off again, only waving a quick good bye to Kikyo-sama. The flowers at her grave wave back in the wind.

I interpret it as a good sign.

-

"Hello, Kagome-sama. Is Kori home?"

In Shippo's bedroom- where I am busy trying to convince my brother not to trail after us (like I know he and Kaguya are "secretly" planning to do)- I find myself straightening up; butterflies materializing in my stomach.

He's here. . .

"Ooooo," Shippo smirks, tugging on a lock of my pony tailed hair. "Romeo's here."

"Shut up!" I hiss, slugging his shoulder. He barely flinches, what with being older, stronger, and more of an oni that me, but all the same he fakes a pained look. I slug him again.

"Oh, yes, of course, Hiniku-chan. Please, won't you come in?"

"Thank you, Kagome-sama. Oh! Hell, Inu-Yasha sama"

"Listen you- - -!"

"SIT."

WHAM!

"Tea, Hiniku-chan?"

"Yes, please. . ."

"You know, I remember the old days when Kouga wouldn't leave Mama alone," Shippo comments with a smirk, laying on his stomach on his bed and resting his chin in his hands as I hurry to straighten my clothes and fix my long locks. "She had him wrapped around her little finger. And now my little sister has the same thing going with his son. The wolf demons just have weaknesses for Higurashis', don't they?"

Sounds like it. ..

"Well, this is different," I retort superiorly, undoing my pony tail and quickly braiding it; stuffing a flower or two into the clump of hair that I tie with a ribbon- the sky blue one that matches my newest kimono. "While Mama didn't have feelings for Uncle Kouga- I. . . . uh. . ."

"Have feelings for Hiniku?"

My face flushes magenta. "I didn't mean for it to come out like that!"

My brother just laughs, rolling onto his back and letting his head dangle off the bed. "Ooo, I remember the two of you when you were only little whelps. . . taking baths together, wrestling in the mud, giving each other flowers, eating bugs. . . Thank the gods Mama caught it all on Polaroid! Can we say `blackmail'?"

I shoot him an icy glare over my shoulder- another talent Mama besotted upon me- and mentally smirk when he instantly falls silent.

"See ya later, Shippo nii-chan," I say sweetly before flouncing out of his bedroom and entering the main room, just in time to hear Mama ask "So, how is your father?"

"Great," Hiniku answers with a beam, his short, white hair glossy in the firelight as his midnight bangs fall over his fur headband, his tail swishing back and forth every so often as he takes a small sip of tea, his armor glittering due to his movements. "And Mother's fine too."

"Oh! That's right, she just had pups!" Mama grins, shooting my father- who is brooding in the corner- a discreet, warning look.


"Yep!" he smiles. "Twins! A boy and a girl. Futsu, Yuki, Shigure, Akitoki, Kyoko, Kujira, Otori, Rikou, and I are all very excited."

"I'm glad. You make sure to bring them all out for a visit sometime in the near future," my mother smiles, before looking up to notice me. "Oh! Kori! There you are."

"Here I am," I grin, my voice a bit softer than usual as a blush paints itself of my cheeks. Hiniku looks up at me and his grin widens, his canines flashing as his ice-blue eyes gleam. "Hi."

"Hi yourself," he chuckles and gets to his feet, reaching out to take my hand. Daddy silently begins growling in the corner- I can see his amber orbs flash. I pretend not to notice as I look up into Hiniku's face- he may be a year younger, but he's a head taller- and announce that I'm ready to go.

Mama reacts to this by taking a picture.

I'll get mad at her later.

"Bye!" I call as we head out the door, noticing with a hint of dread that Shippo's poked his head out of his room, a large grin on his face. "Be back soon!" Not TOO soon, though. . .

"Have fun, honey! Don't stay out too late!" Mama warns, urging me to interpret that sentence. And I do: `Be back within three hours or your father will skin both you and he alive.'

Point taken and dully noted.

With that, we hustle quite quickly away from my house- both of us trying to cover our ears as my Mama attempts to calm down my father in. . . erm. . . any way possible.

-

After a half hour of walking, avoiding Kaguya's mischievous siblings (a close-knit set of male triplets), and ignoring the stares of quite a few villagers, Hiniku and I arrive in a quiet, open field- one that glows in the full moon light and sparkles with the glittering glow of hundreds of fireflies.

"Wow. . ." I breathe, in complete awe as I stare out over the scene. This is just like a picture out of one of those corny romance novels that my godmothers Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi are always telling me about. The ones that Grandma rolls her eyes at while serving us cookies and tweaking my ears. The ones that Uncle Sota always has to saves me from long talks about by playing soccer with me. (He always beats me, by the way- I guess that's what happens when you face off a professional, though. . .)

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" he says cheerfully, tightening his hold on my hand.

"Very," I agree, before pulling a glass jar my mother gave me out of my robes. I grin up at him, holding it out. "Ready?"

"Yup!" he smirks, before we both bolt off like puppies, laughing and giggling.

-

I first hear it when I approach a clump of bushes a half hour later.

"Aww, they're so cute together! Just as cute as Kagome and Inu-Yasha."

"Ah, sweet memories. Remember when they used to sneak off `without our knowing' to do this kind of stuff, darling?"

"Too well. You'd always want to stay when things got. . . intimate!"


"Just to check up on Inu-Yasha's technique. . . to give pointers, if you will, later on."

"Like shit."

I stare blankly at the brush, utterly disgusted. I expected this from Kaguya and Shippo- maybe even Mama and Daddy! But from them- - -?! "Aunt Sango! Uncle Miroku!" I snap, making the clumps of greenery jump. "What in hell are you doing?!"

I can almost hear their thoughts: `Busted. . .'


"Uh- - - Kori-chan," my aunt's voice answers a bit nervously, though I can hear the smile in her tone. "We were just. . . um. . ."

"Making sure everything was all right," Uncle Miroku finishes smoothly, his staff jingling as- from a few hundred yards away, I hear Hiniku come to a sudden stop- and begin yelling at his twin sisters.

"Everything's FINE," I reply in clipped tones. "Please GO AWAY. We don't need your commentary!"

"But- - -!"

"No, she's right," Aunt Sango sighs, before getting to her feet and brushing off her outfit. "Come on, let's go, Miroku."

"Oh. . .Yes, yes, I suppose you're right. Let's go," Miroku agrees with a melodramatic exhaling of breath as they begin to walk away. Of course, over time I've learned too well that- in their case- `let's go' means `let's go find a better hiding spot'. I can't suppress an irritated growl at their retreating backs.

Somehow, I just know this is gonna be a long night.

-

"So, how many relatives have we found in the grass and the trees so far?" I inquire with an agonized and exhausted groan, leaning against Hiniku's back in the middle of the field. I have long since let my hair down- when we finished filling the jar with fireflies. But at that time neither of us were quite ready to go back- we were still too busy trying to get at least one moment alone.

"Let's see- All of my siblings, your aunt and uncle, my father's best friends, Kaguya's brothers, and at least ten villagers," he ticks off on his fingers, moving slightly so we both flop back upon the ground, staring up at the stars.

"And how many more do you think are watching us?" I laugh dryly, momentarily twisting my head to glance over at him.

"More than we'd like to believe," he chuckles, lacing our hands together and resting them on top of the firefly jar.

"Well, I'll bet they're pretty bored," I comment coolly. "We've done nothing but lay here for the past 45 minutes. . ."

. . .

"Well, then," Hiniku replies slowly, a lazily kind of grin forming on his face as he slowly sits up, staring down into my eyes. I feel my voice hitch in my throat as my blue orbs widen, my heart racing as he leans foreword. "Let's give them something to watch. . ."

And with that, his lips cover mine in a sweet, gentle kiss. An unsure yet very confident kiss. A heart stopping but annoyingly chaste kiss. A kiss- - -

That is interrupted by the flash of a camera.

We both bolt upright within an instant as loud laughing echoes from behind a patch of lilacs.

Dammit.

"SHIPPO! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" I roar, flames bursting to life behind me as I lunge forward, anger blasting through my veins as I blast through the flowers. My elder brother sticks out his tongue as Kaguya- who stands next to him- positively dies with the giggles. Hiniku snarls as well, bolting up to help me take down the intruders.

"Well, it's not like I'm gonna stay inside while- ooph!- Mama and Dad mated," my brother replies as I knock him to the ground and straddle him; he calm and collected as I begin wildly tugging on his tail and ears. "Besides- why would I miss out on this great opportunity?" He snickers and waves the camera in front of my face, laughing louder as I turn embarrassingly red. "Won't Dad be thrilled to see this baby?" he coos, oblivious as I begin punching him in the stomach. "Can we say `blackmail', my cute little sister?"

"I'M GONNA KILL YOU, SHIPPO!"

"No, no- repeat after me, Kori: `blaaaaaaaaackmaaaaaaaaaaaaaail'. . ."

-


Needless to say, I was very right- it was an incredibly long night. And it was a night that changed things completely. For example: I was able to get blackmail on Shippo when our fight got out of control and Kaguya entered, ending up in a very inappropriate position with my elder brother. (Though, quite honestly, I don't think either minded so much.)

Hiniku and I ended up kissing more and more often- much to Daddy's dismay.

Those who spied on us ended up nursing wounds.

And- a few days later- Shippo and I found out that in about nine months time we'd have a new little brother or sister to look after!

Yes, that's life- always changing. For the better, for the worst- for us all. Change is good- and for once being able to develop pictures with my brother more nervous than I is even better!


I hope things keep changing. I'm ready!

- - -

There you go. THE END! FINALLY!

And no- there will NOT be any sequels. Doncha guys think it's time for this story to DIE already? (-; Maybe, if you're all very good, I might write a one shot or two with Kori and Kaguya and Hiniku in it. Maybe.

Anyway, here, per usual, is the summary for my next fic. Though I'm sure you've all already read it. Can't break tradition! (-;

Headlines: A Hollywood Romance Inu/Kag, romance/humor. PG-13. (Actually, it's rated under R because ff.net is really cracking down on miss-rated stories and I don't want to get in trouble, but I consider it PG-13.)

Summary: When the cameras are rolling they're Japan's most popular couple. But as soon as the shoot is over they're at each other's throats! Will it take a Feudal Fairytale to bring these two actors together- or an off screen catastrophe? Full of pie, headlines, and squealing fans, this time, real life is more dramatic- and romantic- than the movies.


XD That's it! I hope that- if you haven't read it already- you give it a chance. I plan to have a lot of fun with it. . . (-;

Anyway, once again, thank you so much for all you guys have done for me- for your patience, for your reviews, for your encouragement, and for your time. I love you all and hope to hear from you soon!

Hugs, kisses, and moon-lit nights,

Maiden of the Moon