InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Edge of Heaven ❯ Level 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Edge of Heaven

By Devon Masterson-Bond

Level Four


Kagome sat on the bathroom floor light headed. This was the third time today that she had come in there in the last two hours.

"Here," her mother said softly as she handed her a warm towel. "Kagome..."

"I don't want to talk about it," She replied looking away. Even though a month had passed, everything was still fresh in her mind as though it was only hours ago. It all hurt too much.

"You're making yourself sick," her mother argued. "I know they meant a lot to you, but you have to go on living. I know I only met Inu Yasha, but from what you told me, I know they wouldn't want you to do this to yourself. I know Inu Yasha would be furious."
Kagome's eyes saddened. She could imagine him calling her an idiot for locking herself in her room until she wretched from grief. He would be pissed and the other would not be pleased, however even hearing them yell at her would be better than facing the knowledge that she would never see them again. "It was my fault."

Rumiko sighed and her eyes narrowed she was not going to lose her daughter to grief. "Stop it," she said forcefully. "You are dishonoring their memories by acting this way. They gave their lives for you to live not hold a vigil for the rest of your life. Moving on doesn't mean forgetting, Sweetheart. If anything it means remembering. You'll be carrying them in your heart each day."

"Mom," Kagome sighed as she hugged Rumiko. Tears flowed from her eyes. "I miss them so much and I..."

"It's okay," She said smoothing back her daughter's hair. "Let it all out."
Kagome pulled away slowly and wiped her eyes. "He would call me an idiot if he say me crying like this," she said wiping her eyes. "You're right, Mom. I've cried enough for a lifetime." She sighed bravely. "So what's been going on while I've was away."

"You remember your cousin, Kelly don't you?"

Kagome wrinkled her nose and chuckled. "I remember the last time she was here we went looking for werewolves. She was really weird."

Rumiko chuckled. "She hasn't changed much. In fact she's coming to live with us so she can study with your grandpa. She'll also be studying at Tokyo U. I was on my way to pick her up when I..."

"Can I come?" Kagome asked. "I need some air."

"I'm glad you asked," she smiled, "though you were going anyway."

"I'll go get dressed." Kagome stood and painted a smile on her face. She was going to make an effort to be normal, but she would never forget.

 

_____________________

 

"I don't see why we have to be the ones to 'welcome' him back," Richard grumbled as he and Kirby walked along.

Kirby shrugged. "I was wondering that too, David hates us."

"This is his way of torturing us," Richard grumbled. "What did he go to Prague for anyway?"

"A meeting with the world pack leaders," Kirby answered. "It's all part of some plan to achieve some unity."

Richard narrowed his eyes. "You sure know a lot about it."

"I hear things." Kirby shrugged then flashed a smile at a pretty girl across the terminal.

"My hearing is just as sharp as yours," Richard commented.

"I just care to know more about details than you do," he replied still staring at tonight's distraction.

"Is there anything you think about besides sex?" Richard asked annoyed. He frowned when another girl joined the redhead and begin accessing him as well. He didn't have time for games. "Women are a waste of time."

Kirby tore his eyes away and looked at his twin incredulously. "You're kidding right?" he asked then sighed. "Well I guess it's about you handle things. We both have the same problem you know."

Richard snorted. "This I've got to hear. What is my problem, Oh great one?"

"We have intimacy problems," Kirby noted casually. "I comfort myself with many lovely ladies therefore narrowing the possibilty of getting close to one, and you keep to yourself with only your right hand and jar of vaseline."

"That's it," Richard snapped angrily. He had enough abuse for today. He drew back when someone caught him about the arm. A low growl escaped him as he realized who stopped him.
"You know he's only teasing you," David commented. "Though it was in bad taste."

Richard pulled his arm away and the two stared at their older brother stoically. Neither one was willing to betray their annoyance by his presence. "I'll go get your bags." Kirby walked leaving his two brothers behind.

_____________________

 

"It's been awhile, I don't know if I'll recognizer her on sight," Kagome sighed as she and her mother looked around the crowded airport. Travelers bustled here and there making it almost impossible to find people. The added problem of not knowing exactly what her cousin looked like made things worse. Her mind kept conjuring the image of a little six year old dressed in her "exploring" gear which consisted of all black and a ski mask.

"Oh wait I think that's her." Rumiko pointed to a girl looking through the crowd holding a sign. As the two women got closer to the girl, they were able to read the sign. "Kelly!"

The dark haired turned and smiled. "Ohayo, Aunt Rumiko."

Kagome paused as her cousin ran over to her. Her breath left her as she got a clear look at her relative. "Sango?" she asked lowly as the girl hugged her affectionately.

Kelly looked at her with warm eyes, but shook her head. "It's me Kelly, remember? We went exploring looking for demons when we were little."

"I remember," she replied disappointed.

"I guess that means you're not even glad to see me," Kelly pouted.

Brown eyes widened. "It's not that. I just...never mind. Let's just get you home so we can get you settled in and we can talk."

"Now that's the spirit," Kelly smiled grabbing Kagome's hand and pulled her towards the baggage area. "We'll met you at the car Auntie."

"Okay," Rumiko called as the girls disappeared in the sea of tourists. A smile crossed her face. Her niece would be good for the morale around the house, in particularly Kagome's.

"There is so much I have to tell you and ask you," Kelly said excitedly. "I want to know everything about Tokyo; the hotspots, the not so hot spots, the cold spots, everything! It's going to be great."

"Well I don't know much...I've been away a lot..." Kagome began when a passerbyer knocked into them.

"Hey!" they said in unison.

The person turned around apologetically then smiled. "Excuse me," Kirby apologized as he reached for Kelly's hand and kissed it. "I didn't plan on bumping into you, but I have to admit that I am glad that I did. Two beautiful women." His eyes washed over Kelly then rested on Kagome. He frowned slightly as he stared at her. "Impossible when could he have…"

Kelly snatched her hand away from him. "Yeah, whatever." She took Kagome's hand and led her away. "Still hasn't changed," she muttered under her breath. Her eyes widened. "It's him? But he looks like… I have to get her out of here, this is too soon," she thought. "Come on Kagome, Aunt Rumiko is waiting for us."

"I…wait," she replied pulling away from Kelly and walking to the dark haired man. He was staring at her with the strangest look on his face and his features were just too close to Inu Yasha's to let it go. Was it even possible? She had to know. Maybe he survived! "Inu Yasha?" she asked looking at him hopefully.

"I'm sorry?" he asked confused. There wasn't the slightest bit of recognition in his eyes what so ever. He took a step forward. "There's no mistake, that's his scent. That deceitful bastard! Taking a mate and not telling me. Mr. Virgin, my ass! Keeping a beautiful woman from me like that, but then I can't blame him." He reached out to take Kagome's hand. "I don't know this Inu Yasha person…"

"I'm sorry." Kelly stepped in between them. "Kagome, we have to go. You shouldn't talk to strange men and he's as strange as they come," she replied pulling Kagome away successfully this time.

Kirby stared after the two women in interest as his brothers walked up. "You just can't leave them alone. Now, they have to be rescued from you," Richard smirked.

"I don't know want to talk to you," Kirby said looking away.

Richard raised an eyebrow then shrugged. "Fine."

David sighed. "Let's go children."


_____________________


Kagome sat quietly on Kelly's bed as her cousin began unpacking her bags. "I can't stand it any more what's going on?" she asked jumping up with her fist clinched. "You owe me an explanation."
"You're right," Kelly sighed as looking into her eyes.
"You are Sango! Why did you?" Kagome accused. Her eyes started to well with tears.
Kelly shook her head. "No, I am not Sango any more than you are Kikyo."
Kagome sat down in shock. "You're her reincarnation?"
The dark haired girl nodded. "That's why I seemed so weird to you as a child. I knew about my past life...well some of it. I don't know everything. Most of it comes in dreams. I know just enough to be familiar with everyone."
"It's nice to see you again," Kagome sighed as she hugged Kelly tightly then moved away abruptly. "Do you think that guy in the airport is Inu Yasha's reincarnation. He looks just like him except for the glasses and hair style."
"No that wasn't him. That was the lech." Kelly frowned. "He's the same that's for sure."
"Does that mean you're love with him?" Kagome asked curiously.
Kelly face turned beet red. "I don't even know that guy. I...I..he's a flirt."
"He was handsome though," Kagome pointed out.
"Let's talk about something else," Kelly suggested. She stood and walked to her closet where a dress bag hung from the door. "Want to go on adventure?"


"What kind of adventure?" Kagome asked curiously.
"Nothing we can't handle," she answered cryptically. "I just want to do a little exploring. You need to get out. I know how down you have been."
"I'm not really..

oh come on!" Kelly begged. "You used to be the cheery one and now you're in the dumps. It's my turn to help you out. We start our lives as freshman on Monday. That's two whole days that we can go out on the town."
"Aren't you supposed to start you training as a miko?" Kagome asked. She raised an eyebrow then smiled. She was supposed to be living her life in honor of her friends.
"I'm not dead yet, I can still have fun," Kelly replied winking. "Besides you would dishonor my pervious life and the previous life of everyone else if you keep moping around here."
Kagome snickered. "Fine let's go."
Kelly crossed her arms. "Well don't let me force you." She turned her head.
"I actually want to go," Kagome replied. "You and I have a lot of catching up to do..." She smiled. " and who know's who we might run into."



 

 

 



To be continued…

Note: I don't know what Kagome's mom's name is so I went Ms. Takahashi's name. -_-; I'm saving my name creations for another time…okay!



© 2003 Devon Masterson

What is mine is mine and what is R. Takahashi is hers I just write here and for nothing at that;p