InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan: A Moment Lost Forever ❯ Chapter 7: Tekiou ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 7: Tekiou
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha scowled at the nicked blade of Tetsusaiga. That was the third miserable oni he'd dispatched during the course of his patrol that day. The reeking, witless beast had not been very powerful. It only managed to land a direct blow to the sword's edge by sheer dumb luck, right before its abrupt introduction to the Kaze no Kizu.

He smirked with some satisfaction, remembering its fiery demise.

Damn. Lately, these lesser demons had been crawling out of the woodwork, as was usually the case when Naraku vanished from time to time to regroup and plot. The hanyou scowled and flicked his ears in annoyance. He didn't really like to think all that much about it. He could easily deal with the rise in these petty little distractions, but had come to HATE when his arch-nemesis became this quiet. Nothing good EVER came of it.

EVER.

But Naraku wasn't the only one missing now. There was...Kikyou too, he thought suddenly. The undead miko had NOT returned to trouble him since that horrific battle nearly two months ago. Inuyasha still felt the icy stab of betrayal when his mind focused on the emptiness he had seen in her eyes that night. He had no doubt she was still close at hand, and still very much consumed by the bitterness in her heart. Only about a week ago, in fact, he HAD awoken to the eerie glow of Shinidamachuu trailing mournfully around the Goshinboku. He had scented that telltale odor of graveside soil…

But, despite her blatant call, he had not ventured out to investigate. He'd only had to look down at Kagome slumbering peacefully beside him, before he simply resettled back into the blankets, pulling her warm body closer in an instinctive, protective gesture.

Inuyasha had found he was simply not interested in Kikyou's answers or explanations any longer. The past could not be changed or erased. Out of loyalty to the memory of how she used to be, he decided he would continue to grant a certain amount of sympathetic leeway to his former lover…

But ONLY provided she kept at a safe, respectable distance from him.

Never again would he stop to wonder how it could have…or should have…been for them, had Naraku not maliciously interfered in their lives. He would NOT live like his Father, blinded by his guilt until the tragic past consumed him.

He would never seek Kikyou out again.

Inuyasha shook his white mane to clear his thoughts. These days, things had settled back into a pleasant, if not guarded, routine at the village. After the battle, they had quickly reunited with Sango and Miroku, utterly surprised to find Kohaku alive and in their care. Inuyasha remembered listening in shocked fascination to their tale of escape…how his brother's woman had actually helped them to flee.

Rin.

What a strange girl
, he mused. How the hell she managed to keep her sense of kindness and compassion while living under the influence of Sesshoumaru and that scabby toad Jaken was beyond him.

Kohaku's major wounds had now healed more or less, though his arm remained in a sling. The young man still had trouble remembering the finer details of the past few years…probably for the best, the hanyou thought dryly.

He marched past the first village farms with a scowl, drawing Tetsusaiga again to re-check the blade, still not believing such a lowly demon had been able to damage it. He squinted to estimate the levelness and weight, sticking his tongue out in concentration. It REALLY was a small nick now that he got a better look at it…

But he just couldn't afford take ANY chances. With the threat of Naraku's inevitable return looming over his head, he couldn't have the sword in anything less then perfect condition. Plus, it really had been way too long since the blade had been sharpened. It was settled, and nothing could be done about it. This called for a visit to Totosai's mountain.

Inuyasha rubbed his jaw and grimaced at the very real possibility of having to donate another one of his fangs to the cause of repair. He desperately hoped it didn't come to that. At least Kagome would be thrilled at the prospect of the journey though. After all, she'd been after him for weeks now to make the trip to Totosai's forge to see if Rin was alright.

He sighed. Despite the possibility of VERY real, VERY intense pain when he reached his destination, this excursion could be a perfect opportunity to spend some time alone with his little miko. Village life was far from private, he noted sourly, as he passed the first cluster of quaint homes. He was met with the sight of Miroku trying to wrestle his wriggling daughter, Kaisei, into a warmer robe. The feisty toddler was being most uncooperative, apparently more interested in grabbing one of Kirara's soft tails then heeding her father. He caught the grumbled chant of "…omae no mama wa ittai doko e itte shimatta ka na…" repeatedly coming from his friend's lips.

The half demon couldn't resist throwing a look of mock-contempt to the exasperated man as he strode by. "Oi! Miroku…I see you're still having trouble with the ladies!" he snorted. The frazzled monk offered a string of expletives under his breath.

"I wouldn't tease, Inuyasha," Miroku called back. "The divine Buddha is not without tremendous sense of irony, and if he AND KAGOME have anything to say about it… you'll be chasing `pups' instead of jewel shards in the very near future! With that bit of wisdom, have a nice day, my friend!"

The hanyou paused in mid-step and stiffened. Kagome did spend very much of her time now giggling in girly conversations with Sango, offering to help with the baby, and asking pointed questions about pregnancy and childbirth. He wondered if he should be worried.

Inuyasha reached Kaede's small home at a decidedly quicker pace, the unmistakable voices and scents of Kagome, Shippou, Sango and Kohaku drifting from within. In typical grumbling fashion, he burst into the dwelling and tossed Tetsusaiga onto the floor of the hut. Nearly everyone jumped, turning their eyes up in surprise from their places around the cooking fire. Sango recovered from her initial shock the quickest, peering down at the still rattling blade. "Well, that crack is not going to get any better if you continue to abuse the sword!" she chided with her ever-present practicality. "What on earth did you do now?"

"Don't ask…fuckin' broke again," Inuyasha rumbled at no one in particular. His eyes softened as they traveled to meet Kagome's, offering the miko a less petulant, silent greeting. "Now I gotta go up and see that crazy old man," he continued, slightly more composed. "Kagome, get packed…we need to get going!"

Both Shippou and Kohaku's heads shot up simultaneously.

"Honto ni, Inuyasha? You're going to see that demon sword-smith, Totosai?" Kohaku queried. "I'd like to join you…if it's alright. I'd really like to thank Rin for what she did." Sango flashed her brother a gentle, supportive smile.

"I'll go with you, too!" Shippou chirped, looking at the other young man with a small measure of panic. "Ummm…ahhh…you'll need help, Inuyasha! What with all these annoying demons springing up all over the place, you know."

Kohaku turned in surprise, raising an eyebrow in slight suspicion at the copper-haired kitsune who'd become his fast friend.

Inuyasha snorted in annoyance."Temee…annoying demons, huh? And I got the worst of them right here in this room with me!" he snapped, pouncing at the fox. Fortunately, Shippou was quicker and bounced out of his reach. After all, years of brawling and mini-beatings had taught him all to well how to recognize the boiling point of the hanyou's patience.

Inuyasha growled and tried to stand his ground. "Not a fucking chance in hell, brats… you're staying here! Just me and Kagome this time! We need to travel QUICKLY so we can get back to the well before the new moon!" He stomped his foot for emphasis…there, that should settle it.

Ever since that night and their near defeat by Naraku, they had taken to hiding in the future with each occurrence of the new moon. Despite the fact that the evil half-demon seemed to be holding the majority of the Shikon no kakera, luckily it still appeared that he and Kagome remained the only ones able to make the journey through time. Though Naraku didn't strike him as the type to use the same trap twice, once again Inuyasha would take NO chances. A feral grin crossed his face and he folded his arms in smug satisfaction…wherever Naraku was, it must be frustrating him to no end to wonder where he disappeared to on the nights of his human transformation.

Shippou did not appear to be swayed, and only crossed his arms in a huff. Kagome looked up at Inuyasha, then sympathetically back at the pouting kitsune. Though she was still not exactly sure of the young youkai's real age, his appearance was now that of a fifteen year old boy. Her `surrogate' son was nearly all grown up and showing an obvious interest in girls! she mused, with a small streak of pride. She couldn't help but remember how flushed and flustered Shippou had been the night they had first encountered Rin. And Kohaku, too…he always seemed to be talking about her as well nowadays! Interesting. She smiled, the natural instinct to play matchmaker swelling inside her. "It's okay, Inuyasha!" she shouted. "The boys won't slow you down…if anything, you should leave me behind!"

"N-nani?! But that's not the point!" the hanyou shot back, trying to think of ways to hint some of the REAL reasons he wanted privacy without causing her embarrassment. Kagome, it appeared, was choosing to ignore his building tirade, and merely batted her eyelashes in silent pleading.

Both Shippou and Kohaku leaned forward eagerly for his response, knowing that Inuyasha was never able to deny Kagome anything when she fixed him with THAT particular expression.

"Arghhh! Whatever - gaki-tomo, get moving! Temeera…whoever's not ready to travel in FIVE minutes is staying behind!" the half-breed stomped out of the hut just as dramatically as with his original entrance, brushing past a confused Kaede as she came in from the garden.

"Ano ko," the old woman scoffed. "Whatever did I miss now, children?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rin paused in her carving to critically examine her work. Just a few more lines and she'd be able to present this completed iron mold to Totosai. She backed up to put some space between herself and the piece, trying to visualize what the design would look like on the finished helmet. A bright, blurry flash of red and white moving swiftly through the green valley below suddenly caught her gaze.

She shaded her eyes against the sun and stared down the mountain's winding trail. Three familiar figures were making their way up the steep slope at great speed.

Inu…yasha? And…and his friends…

<Oh, and make that four figures, she corrected, finally noticing the miko clinging tightly to the hanyou's back as he bounded in great leaps from boulder to boulder. Casting one last look at the soon-to-be-arriving party, she hastily dropped her work. She raced to find Totosai, stopping quickly to shoo Momo out of her herb garden on the southern side of the ledge.
She found the old demon stoking the fire in the furthermost corner of the foundry. "OJII-SAMA!" she shouted over the din of his hammer and the roaring flames. "We have company…Inuyasha is here!"

"Eh?" Totosai grumbled. "What's that? Can't hear you! Your new dress has a tear?"

"NOOOooo! I SAID...INUYASHA AND A FEW OF HIS FRIENDS ARE HERE!" she yelled again, waving her arms wildly.

The smith's wrinkly face turned white and he dropped the kabuto he was mending, racing to the archway just in time to meet said hanyou as he skidded to a sliding stop at the threshold. Without a word of greeting, Inuyasha drew the Tetsusaiga from its sheath and lay it on the ground in front of him.

"AAAAaaaaIIIeeeEeee!!!!" Totosai wailed, wringing his hands and hopping madly back and forth on the tips of his toes. "What did you do to MY sword, you stupid, flea-bitten mutt?!?!?!?!"

"Nice to see you too old man," Inuyasha countered sarcastically. "And shut up! The damage is NOWHERE near as bad as last time! Now are you gonna piss and moan all day or can you fix it!?"

Totosai snapped his jaw shut and wiped an actual tear from his eye. "Give me that NOW, boy!" he screeched, snatching Tetsusaiga up roughly and running his bony fingers along its edge. Every so often he would mutter under his breath about `ungrateful, unappreciative, rotten little pups'. Inuyasha growled.

During the first few moments of traded accusations and scathing reprimands, Rin had positioned herself back amongst the shadows. Even though months had flown by, the sight of this half-demon still caused her chest to constrict rather painfully. She noted now that his features were not as fine as his elder brother's, but still...the family resemblance was undeniable. She prepared to slip silently down the corridor and make herself scarce until their business was concluded.

Yet something caused her to pause. She supposed she was being rather silly, actually. Though the hanyou's physical appearance might evoke painful memories of the life she'd been forced to leave behind, it wasn't right to be so rude. Rin turned and scowled at the half demon behind his back. Maybe she could just ignore Inuyasha…take a cue from her old master's measured manner of dealing with the half-breed and pretend he didn't exist.

And…and hope you don't have to look in his eyes
, she chanted mentally, trying to push away the ache in her heart.

Just at that moment, Kohaku and Shippou walked up behind Inuyasha and Kagome, both boys eager and not wanting to miss a single moment of watching their mutual tormentor suffer under a few choice insults for a change.

"Kohaku-kun?!" Rin shouted in near amazement. "You're alright! Yokatta!" Any lingering thoughts of hiding in her room were completely abandoned at the surprise of seeing her childhood acquaintance alive and well. She reached out to pat his uninjured arm in a warm greeting.

Yes, this was a wonderful surprise! And instead of sulking, maybe she could actually learn some news of the outside world! Rin noted the underlying weary expressions on the traveler's faces, and busied herself with the task of preparing tea, completely missing Kohaku's blush.

The young demon exterminator followed in her wake, stammering. "Rin-san, I…umm… want to thank you. You saved my life and…and…my sister's too…I have my family back. You've always been so very kind to me, even while I was under Naraku's control."

Kohaku pulled up a slightly squished flower he'd concealed in the sling on his right arm and offered it to her shyly. From where he stood several feet away, trying to appear grown-up and casually aloof, Shippou's emerald eyes widened at the gesture and his lips turned in an unmistakable pout.

"Here...me too," the kitsune piped, pushing the other young man back a step in his enthusiasm. "I know you're sad…so this is from me! To cheer you up!" He held an acorn out to Rin. The girl reached for it slowly with a quizzical look. When her fingers closed around the strange gift, there was a loud pop, and the acorn suddenly blossomed into an enormous bouquet of wild irises. Kohaku threw Shippou a dirty look as the young fox beamed; then, as Rin turned to coo over the flowers and find a suitable container, he kicked the kitsune in the shin. "Itee!!!" Shippou growled.

Kagome immediately raced over to intervene, stepping between the jealous boys. "This is SO not the time, kimi-tachi," she scolded, watching Rin's bemused and extremely overwhelmed expression. She gestured back at the Tetsusaiga, and the mission at hand.

Totosai rolled his eyes at all the juvenile antics, and turned back to Inuyasha. "Alright, careless boy, I can fix your sword. AGAIN. In fact, I think we should get right to fixin' it, so you all can get out of here and leave an old man in peace!" He picked up a set of tongs from the fireside and clicked them with obvious glee. The hanyou's face turned a strange shade of green, and he appeared almost ready to swoon. Kagome threw him a sympathetic look, squeezed his shoulder for courage, and then swiftly herded the laughing, pointing Kohaku and Shippou out of the cavern. She snorted at how quickly the boys had forgotten their temporary animosity in the face of watching the argumentative half demon fall into a state of sheer animal panic. Not that she could blame Inuyasha for panicking…the mere thought of someone sticking those rusty old pliers near her mouth, let alone using them to yank out a tooth…was…ghastly.

Kagome settled easily on the wide ledge and looked down over the valley below, enjoying this chance to stretch after many long, cramped hours of travel. To her great surprise, she realized Rin had slowly followed them outside, obviously not comfortable remaining in the cave either. Clearly, she too, had witnessed Totosai's idea of `dentistry' before.

Kagome flashed a smile that was nothing short of devious…this was, after all, the perfect opportunity to see how Rin was doing with her new life! She cast a furtive look at her once-again temporarily speechless young male companions…her young male companions who were currently solely engaged with gawking pointedly at a pretty young girl. And with wide, stupid open mouths and dumb, glazed eyes, too. Boys…so very stupid and predictable. "Hey!" she whispered, careful to keep a cupped hand over her mouth. "You two, get out of here…I want to talk to her!"

"But...Kagomeeee!" Shippou began, his voice actually cracking into the long whine of his youth.

"Not now! And I mean it!" Kagome interrupted with a hiss. "This calls for `girl talk'! Can't you see she's still hurting? And I can learn more in five MINUTES than you guys could in five DAYS!"

"Really?" Kohaku whispered back, his dark solemn eyes brightening with hope. “Is that true, Kagome-same?” He turned instantly on Shippou, tugging roughly at his arm. "Come on…let's go…besides, I need to talk to you about that little stunt you pulled in there! Just what the hell was that anyway?! "

“What?!” the kitsune asked with feigned innocence. “Surely, you do mean the flowers?”

“Of course, I mean the flowers! Are you trying to make me look like an ass!?”

Shippou puffed out his chest. “I don't have to try to do THAT! You do just fine on your own! Besides…I can't help it if I have some…skills…that the ladies appreciate.”

“I'll show you skills, demon...I'll knock you back into the Heian era!” Kohaku challenged. And with that, the young men headed a little ways down the trail-head to continue their argument, still choosing to remain well within the limits of standard `spying' view.

Though not the kind of privacy Kagome was hoping for, she supposed she would have to make the best of it. She grinned, remembering all the times Inuyasha had hovered jealously around her in that same manner (especially whenever Kouga-kun appeared…oh, weren't those fun days?).

Rin had presently settled down next to her, just relaxing in the autumn sunshine. The girl had returned to etching at an iron mold, and Kagome scooted closer to get a better look at what she was working on.

"That's beautiful!" Kagome breathed, admiring the intricate pattern flowing across the metal.

"Honto ni?" Rin asked timidly, and her sad eyes lit up for a moment in obvious pride.

The tentative beginnings of conversation and the relative peace were suddenly split by an uncannily canine yelp coming from back within the cave. Kagome winced in sympathy for her hanyou. And, back in the unseen, echoing depths of the forge, Inuyasha's voice immediately began to shift from yelping to bellowing out pain-muddled curses…

"Heh, heh. So, how have you been, Rin-chan?" Kagome asked, simultaneously trying to keep the girl talking and her own mind distracted and well off poor Inuyasha's obvious distress and discomfort.

"I'm…alright," Rin responded carefully, attention switching between her carving and the angry yowls echoing through the air. "Totosai has been very kind to me, and I help him where I can. I usually can't assist with the swords. Most of them are made from the claws and fangs of taiyoukai. I can't touch them…their powers are SO strong and unpredictable!” She paused, setting down the mold and the pearl-handled blade held deftly in her tiny hand. “But, as you can see, Ojiis-sama…Totosai, I mean…he lets me carve designs into the new armor he crafts…I thought they were a little dull," she whispered on conspiratorially. "New demons come every week or so…"

Kagome's eyes were bright as she listened in rapt attention. This was encouraging…maybe Rin was going to be alright! She had obviously made some progress with her grief, now sounding almost as carefree as the little girl she had once been. It all changed in an instant, however, and the obviously fake cheerful façade vanished from her face. "Please, Miko-sama, have you heard any word about Sesshoumaru-sama?" Rin whispered franticly, leaning close.
Kagome looked away sadly at the girl's plaintive tone. "No," she answered in all honesty. "Not since that night…when you …came to us…he's simply vanished. We've heard nothing. Seen nothing. Naraku has disappeared as well." The miko hastily tried to change the subject at the dejected look on the girl's face. "Rin-chan…are you happy? Are you sure this is where you want to be? I'm sure Totosai has good intentions but…it must get really lonely up here."

Rin sighed in quiet resignation and rested her chin on her knee. "At this point I can't imagine being happy anywhere," she murmured truthfully. "For now, this place is best."

"Well, of course, I'm not suggesting you have to STAY at our village…just say you'll visit one of these days! Think about it…maybe? When you're feeling better?"

Kagome's glance was caught by a flash of frenzied movement and the low buzzing of heated whispers. At the very moment she had extended that invitation to Rin, both Kohaku and Shippou had straightened and visibly brightened from their place on the next rocky outcropping. That sneaky little kitsune was obviously picking up the entire conversation with his sensitive youkai hearing and sharing the information with the demon slayer!

Boys! Men!

Ohhhh...

Oh well, at least they were cooperating again.
Kagome cast them her best imitation of Inuyasha's most angry, withering look, before turning back to Rin. "So...whatdaya say?"

"M-maybe," Rin answered vaguely, deciding it was too hard to concentrate on anything with all these eyes staring expectantly at her. Kami…these people were strange! And Kagome-sama was SO persistant! So garishly bright and…annoyingly, obnoxiously cheerful…

But she's only trying to help you
, she quickly reminded herself.

Seeming to sense her indecision, the older woman suddenly threw her a comically exaggerated pleading look, a perfect imitation of a child's wounded pout. The beginnings of a small smile tugged hesitantly at the corners of Rin's mouth. She had never really had ANY lasting female companionship during her life…it might be interesting. After all, she had an endless number of embarrassing questions, mostly just about being a woman in general. Rin somehow doubted the information she had been forced to glean out of a rather uncomfortable Jaken could be very correct. But before she could concede her defeat and offer a more definitive answer, Totosai emerged from the mouth of the cavern supporting the shaken Inuyasha. The hanyou held a bloody strip of cloth over his mouth, and wore a rather sullen expression on his rather puffy face.

"See? Not so terrible, boy. You were right…damage wasn't too bad. The sword's patched itself up quicker then you this time!" the sword-smith thrust the mended Tetsusaiga into the half-demon's trembling hands.

Inuyasha could only whimper.

"Hey boys!!" Totosai called down to Kohaku and Shippou. "Anyone got anything to say to this bullying mongrel, better do it now…I don't think he'll be able to fight back, at least for a few hours!" The old man winked at Kagome as she shook her head and reached for Inuyasha's elbow to support him. The half-demon sighed and leaned into her gratefully, arm automatically reaching around her waist to offer a gentle squeeze. The miko smoothed his bangs off his forehead and pressed a tiny, lingering kiss to his brow.

Rin turned at the tender gestures, an unexpected wave of discomfort and jealously flaring hotly within her. How many times had she longed to offer simple comfort like that to Sesshoumaru-sama? Her vision quickly blurred with unshed tears and she found she couldn't swallow. It just wasn't fair. All she could see was that damn silver mane, and she suddenly found herself filled with the intense urge to just march up and slap that sappy, loving, puppy-dog look right out of those golden eyes. Why…with the pain he was already feeling right now…she imagined even a blow from one so puny as herself would probably be enough to knock him unceremoniously onto his skinny little bottom!

Wait…

Gods -what was happening to her? How could she even think anything so selfish and cruel?

Instead of giving into any mean-spirited urges and doing something she'd later regret, Rin opted instead to spin on her heel and race back into the forge. At the moment, she didn't care how rude she appeared or what these others would think of her; she just needed to get away.
She dimly heard Kagome's soft cry, but did not stop to look back.

Totosai trailed after the girl with his eyes and sighed in defeat. "Let her go, let her go," he murmured, as Kagome attempted to move in pursuit. "It hasn't been easy for her. Too much excitement for one day, I think."

"She fell in love with Sesshoumaru, didn't she?" the miko queried sadly, shaking her dark head.

The old demon nodded in confirmation.

Inuyasha's eyes widened in confusion and he stared after the path Rin had taken, suddenly seeing her in a whole new light. Poor little thing, he thought, trying to clear his head of the bitter scent of tears. Of all the cruel things his half-brother had done, he decided this was the worst…keeping a human girl as some bizarre sort of pet, and isolating her from the rest of her kind. Abandoning her without a second glance when the burden to his pride became too great. If Sesshoumaru was going to cast her aside and reject her so coldly, maybe it would have been better if he had left her the way he originally found her. Maybe it would have been better if he never drew Tenseiga at all.

"Don't worry," Totosai murmured. "It'll all be okay." Noticing the doubtful expressions currently fixed upon him, he quickly added, "Trust me!" But neither Inuyasha nor Kagome appeared to be very convinced.

"Anyway, you better get going." The old demon gestured at the sunset. "Not too many days till the New Moon, you know!" Inuyasha kicked at the dirt with a scowl… What the hell?!? Did EVERYONE know about his little problem now?

"You'll say goodbye to Rin for me?' Kagome asked, wrapping her arms around the hanyou's shoulders and gingerly climbing onto his back. She sincerely hoped he wasn't feeling woozy anymore. Wouldn't that make for a hair-raising trip home?! Rides on Inuyasha's back were often scary enough already without these new concerns about him losing his footing due to dizziness! She didn't have long to worry though, and with one giant leap they were off, racing down to join Kohaku and Shippou.

Totosai watched the hanyou and his companions until he could no longer see them on the horizon then quietly made his way back to the cooking hearth. He smiled the very moment he noticed Rin peeking timidly from around the black fissure that led into the main hallway.

"I'm very sorry, Ojii-sama," she began, staring at the floor, her jaw taut. "I don't know what came over me."

Totosai's patient smile grew and he held up a torn strip of cloth that she might use to dry her tears. "It's alright, girl. It was brave of you to face them at all! Anyway, weather will be changing soon. Only about another month or so left for visitors to make it up here…then we'll have peace and quiet all winter."

Rin sighed, somehow feeling chilled to the bone at the mere mention of winter. How would she ever survive it?! And how…how could she ever repay this kindly old creature who had offered her a new home, a new life? Logically, she supposed the best way would be to stop whining, to try harder to accept all these changes. She moved to sit beside him at the fire and placed the teapot on the hot coals again. Her emotions were bound to be out of control for awhile, she reasoned. But…if that was how much it hurt to see Inuyasha, then what would she do if she was ever face to face with Sesshoumaru-sama again?

Her heart pounded. No chance of that! Didn't Totosai say HE would never come to this mountain? She reached up and released her hair from the jaunty ponytail that served to keep her long bangs from her eyes. Suddenly she couldn't decide what was worse, being confronted by the cold taiyoukai, or never seeing him again?

Totosai noticed her solemn look and tried to offer some encouragement again. "Don't worry, young lady, it'll get easier, you know. In time."

Rin turned away, the shadows cast from the firelight suddenly making her appear much older. "Yes," she agreed. "After all…time is all I have now anyway."