InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Bonding ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: A chapter on time... I know you must all be shocked. Nothing too exciting here, but it had to be done and the next chapter will have the wedding as well as the honeymoon (meaning a lemon for you hentai out there). As I said before the way things are now I expect this story to finish at about 30 chapters.

Thanks to those who have reviewed and I hope that some of you will take the time do so for this time too...Please...

As a note Tenrousei means the dog star... A place entirely of my own invention, but for the sake of the story is a very upscale hotel which does very well in spite of it’s unusual name... Go with me on this it seemed a fitting name for Sesshomaru’s hotel.

Anyway on with the story and I am going to post the next chapter Wednesday
.

~ * ~

InuYasha was more than a little surprised to learn that not only was his brother planning to attend the wedding along with his mate and two other guests, but that he had also donated the location in which they were having the reception as a gift. He had been relieved to hear that the ceremony itself would only be witnessed by immediate family, since Kagome wanted them both to add their own vows and an exchanging of rings. He would be able to speak more freely with a small audience and he wanted to make Kagome happy.

“InuYasha, it’s time to go.” Kagome called from the shrine stairs.

The hanyou left his place in the tree and joined his mate. She quickly walked around him dusting off his pants and the back of his shirt, with a small frown. “Sorry.” He muttered.

Her frown quickly left her face and she gave him a small smile along with a quick shake of her head. “I should have expected it. If I had been ready when you were... I just wanted to look nice.”

“You do.” InuYasha assured her, and it was true. The pale blue dress she was wearing complemented both her slim figure and her eyes.

Kagome didn’t understand why she was blushing. Maybe it was the way he was looking at her, like he would have no problem forgoing their lunch date and taking that dress off her of where she stood, or his tone, so serious and sincere, but she supposed it didn’t matter. “Thank you.”

“Keh, I thought we were going.” InuYasha said sporting a light pink on his own cheeks.

It wasn’t far to the restaurant where they were meeting Ayumi and Hojou. Kagome stopped at the door, only to feel a light touch on the small of her back. She looked to her hanyou who nodded and reached out pulling the door open. She was nervous and excited. The young miko was sure that these two friends at least would be happy to hear her news, but a part of her kept thinking, what if they weren’t.

Ayumi waved when they entered and both she and Hojou stood to greet them. “Kagome, it’s been so long. I was so glad you called.”

“I’m happy you were both able to come on such short notice.” Kagome replied, taking her seat. “You’ve both always been such good friends, we wanted you both to be among the first to know... InuYasha and I are getting married.”

Ayumi squealed excitedly drawing the attention of some of the other patrons. She blushed and quickly quieted. “That’s wonderful Kagome. I’m so happy for you, for you both.”

“Yes, congratulations.” Hojou added. “I wish you both the best.”

“You’re both invited of course.” Kagome told them. “The reception is going to be at The Tenrousei. We still have a few invitations to send out, but you should be getting yours soon. I also wanted to ask... Ayumi would you be willing to serve as the miko for the ceremony?”

The young woman looked genuinely shocked and then deeply touched as tears welled up in her eyes, and InuYasha knew Kagome had made the right choice of which of her friends to ask. He glanced to his mate who was waiting with a hopeful expression and damp eyes.

“Kagome... Of course. I’m honored that you would ask me to be such an important part of your wedding.” Ayumi managed at last. She took the handkerchief that Hojou held for her and dabbed at her eyes.

Kagome smiled. “You were the only one really willing to give InuYasha a chance. It wouldn’t have been right to ask anyone else. I hope you’ll also come with me to chose the dress for my reception.”

Ayumi agreed and after that the conversation turned to less emotional things. They all ate their meal and when it was time to leave Kagome promised to call her friend soon so that they could go shopping together.

~ * ~

InuYasha could tell that both his mate and her friend were shocked when he asked if he could go shopping with them. His mate’s mother however simply smiled, since it had been on her advise that he wanted to join them. The elder Higurashi had informed him that it would be well received if he were to purchase a gift to Kagome on their wedding night and that he would have the perfect opportunity to do so while Kagome was looking for her dress.

They journeyed to the shopping district and when the women entered the dress shop InuYasha left them to do some shopping of his own.

It took quite a while for Kagome to settle on a dress and then to convince Ayumi to chose one as well, as her gift for agreeing to be a part of the ceremony, but when they stepped out of the store, both women were satisfied with their purchases. A few alterations were needed on both dresses so they were left behind.

Kagome looked around for her hanyou, but he was nowhere in sight. She was wondering where he could have gotten to when a familiar voice called out to her.

“Kagome... Ayumi...” Eri called, hurrying over.

“Hello Eri.” Both girls greeted politely.

“Ayumi told me about the wedding.” Eri said with something that couldn’t exactly be called a smile. It was too smug. “So when are you due?”

“What?” Kagome tried.

Eri laughed. “Oh come on Kagome. Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. I mean why else would you be getting married so soon. You haven’t even finished high school, and I’m sure a man like Taisho InuYasha wouldn’t be signing his life away so young otherwise. Though I never figure you for the kind of girl to trap herself a husband, but I guess money can do strange things to people. No wonder you never told us his last name.”

Behind them Kagome heard her mother gasp, but she herself couldn’t find her breath let alone her voice. It was beyond her understanding that anyone, let alone someone who she had considered a friend would say something so deliberately hurtful about what was supposed to be one of the happiest times in her life.

Ayumi however was not stunned into silence. “Eri, how could you say such terrible things? I knew you were jealous that Kagome was with InuYasha, but I never thought you would stoop so low... Kagome I’m sorry. When I told her... I never thought...”

“It’s okay Ayumi.” Kagome said quietly finding her voice at last.

“What the hell is going on?” InuYasha demanded, heading straight for his mate. He had heard the sadness in her voice and could feel it in her aura, even more clearly than he could smell the salt of unshed tears. Her looked to Eri, who seemed more than a little pleased with herself. “You did this. What did you say to her?”

Eri stepped back at the malice in his tone and the smug grin fell from her face.

“It’s nothing.” Kagome told him, gripping his arm above the elbow as he glowered at Eri. “Please, I just want to go home. I don’t feel well.”

“I knew it.” Eri chirped with satisfaction.

“Knew what?” InuYasha demanded.

“You know you don’t have to marry her. Once I heard your last name... I’m surprised your family didn’t just buy her off or make her get rid of the baby. I mean how do you even know it’s yours?” Eri explained.

Kagome was reasonably sure that if her mother hadn’t, in that instant, stepped in between InuYasha and her former friend that her hanyou, who had never before laid a hand on female, would have struck Eri. As it was Kagome could feel his youki rising and was forced to reach out to him with her own aura.

“That is quite enough young lady.” Asami snapped. “I don’t know what possessed you to act this way and speak so inappropriately, but you couldn’t be more wrong in your assumptions. That said unless you can cease behaving so childishly and refrain from saying such cruel things, then you can consider your invitation to the reception a mistake.”

While still concerned about his mate, InuYasha felt a deep surge of affection for her mother at her words. “Let’s go koibito.” InuYasha said quietly. Normally he refrained from using terms of endearment and most especially in front of others, but the need to reassure his mate was overwhelming.

He wrapped an arm around her waist and the small smile Kagome gave him more than made up for any embarrassment he might have felt at being so familiar with her in public.

~ * ~

Upon arriving back at the shrine Kagome went straight to her room followed closely by InuYasha. Once he was seated on her bed she climbed into his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her face against him. InuYasha could fell her trembling lightly as she cried.

He growled softly and smoothed her hair wanting to go hunt that stupid bitch down and knock some sense into her for hurting his beautiful mate. Slowly her tears ceased.

“Why? Why would she say that stuff?” Kagome asked quietly. “I thought we were friends...”

“I don’t know.” InuYasha replied honestly.

With her head still against his chest, Kagome fingered the rosary around his neck. “InuYasha, mama and I talked and well... I’m wearing the kimono mama wore when she married daddy. We agreed that if you want, we’d like you to wear daddy’s.”

InuYasha didn’t know what to say. He knew that both the Higurashi woman had loved the man who was his mate’s father very much, and they no doubt treasured anything that remained to remind them of him and his place in their lives. It was a great honor, what his mate was offering.

Kagome looked up and smiled at her hanyou. “I’ll tell mama. You can try it on tonight. You’re taller than daddy was, so we’ll need to see if we need to make any alterations.”

~ * ~

Since Sango and Miroku were not going to be traveling with them any longer, their trips to the past were mainly to check for shard rumors and to visit with their friends. InuYasha and Kagome had both decided to wait until after the wedding to continue actively hunting the final shard.

Things went smoothly up until about a week before the wedding was scheduled to take place. They had even arranged a honeymoon thanks to Sesshomaru, who offered his vacation house and recommended a car service to get them there.

The problem came when her grandfather made an announcement at dinner. He was going to preside over the ceremony, but had decided that he would only do so if there were no secrets before the kami, meaning no one present could wear a concealment to hide their youkai features.

If only immediate family were attending it wouldn’t have been a problem, but Kagome had asked Ayumi to take part. Truthfully, Kagome agreed with her grandfather. She wanted to marry her hanyou just as he was, not concealed as a human, but the real risk of revealing InuYasha’s secret was not up to her alone.

After a long discussion with her mate and an equally long talk with Sesshomaru it was decided that Ayumi would be told. Kagome prayed that they had made the right choice as she looked at the young woman beside her.

“Ayumi I didn’t ask you here to go over your part in the ceremony again.” Kagome began. “I asked you to come over because if you are going to be in the wedding there is something you have to know about InuYasha. Before I tell you, you have to swear that you will never tell anyone, not even Hojou, at least not yet.”

“Kagome, you can tell me whatever it is.” Ayumi assured her. “I swear your secret will be safe with me.”

“Show her.” Kagome said to her mate.

InuYasha took a deep breath and removed his rosary.

Ayumi gasped as she stared at him. “Ears...” The girl looked at her friend and tried again. “Kagome... Ears...”

“It’s always the ears.” InuYasha snorted. “It’s never the fangs or the claws...”

Kagome giggle. “Well, what do you expect? They’re so cute. You just want to rub them.” She reached up to touch one of the furry appendages and InuYasha flicked it away from her hand with a blush and another snort.

Ayumi was still in shock. “Kagome? They... Those are real?”

Kagome turned to her friend. “Yes. Ayumi I know this is going to be hard to believe but InuYasha is a hanyou, an inu hanyou.”

“But hanyou aren’t real. Those are just stories, aren’t they?” Ayumi questioned.

“Youkai and hanyou are real.” Kagome explained. “They have spells like the one InuYasha wears to hide what they really are so they can live among humans.”

“Can I... Can I touch them?” Ayumi asked hesitantly.

Kagome looked to her mate. As soon as he heard the girl’s question he knew that they didn’t have to worry about having told her friend. “Keh, whatever.”

“Just be careful. They’re really sensitive.” Kagome cautioned.

Ayumi got up and tentatively touched one of InuYasha’s ears. She squealed excitedly causing the hanyou to wince as she latched on a rubbed them both. “Wow... They are real, and so soft. This is amazing. I wondered why he looked so different from all the other times we saw him.” Rather reluctantly the girl released his ears and returned to her seat. “There is only one thing I don’t understand. Why are you telling me this now?”

“My grandfather won’t marry us if InuYasha isn’t himself for the ceremony. Mama and Souta already know of course, and InuYasha’s brother is a youkai, so you were the only one who will be at the wedding that didn’t.” Kagome told her friend. “You do still want to be there, don’t you?”

Ayumi smiled. “Well this is a shock, but of course I do. It doesn’t really matter that he’s a hanyou, does it? I mean that’s not why you’re getting married. You’re getting married because you love each other and hanyou or not he must be a good man if you love him.”

InuYasha didn’t think he’d ever get used to hearing that there was nothing wrong with him being a hanyou, but truthfully he didn’t really mind hearing it.

“I knew I could trust you Ayumi.” Kagome said hugging her friend.

~ * ~

InuYasha found himself forced to spend the night before the wedding with the one person he had spent most of his life trying to avoid. He would have preferred to spend the night with that damn wolf. Well maybe not Kouga, but he definitely would have chosen Hojou over his current companion.

“Tell me again why the fuck I have to stay here with you?” InuYasha growled.

“Because little brother, it is bad luck to see the bride before the wedding and I am the only one capable of keeping you from sneaking off to see her.” Sesshomaru replied.

“She’s already my mate. That means more than some human ceremony.” InuYasha scoffed.

“To you perhaps.” Sesshomaru said tolerantly. “But I thought you wished to make your mate happy.” InuYasha snorted but didn’t disagree. “Surely you can survive a single night away from your miko.”

The hanyou cast his youkai brother a withering glare, to which of course Sesshomaru returned. This was going to be a very long night.

InuYasha was still trying to get used to the idea that Sesshomaru no longer wanted to kill him. He let his head fall back onto the arm of the sofa and closed his eyes. There was no way he would be able to sleep without Kagome next to him, or with his brother in such close proximity. At least the bastard seemed to understand that it was going to take time for him to adjust to the change in their relationship and was for the most part trying to make the situation as easy for him as possible.

InuYasha lifted his head. “You ain’t really going to make me stay here are you?”

“I gave my word to a rather frightening human woman that I would keep you here. She may not have her daughter’s power, but I do not wish to risk her wrath.” Sesshomaru replied.

InuYasha chuckled. “Yeah, Asami can be pretty scary sometimes, like when I shook off after a shower instead of using a towel and got water all over the bathroom. I thought she was going to get my own mate to purify my ass. At least I know where Kagome gets it from.”

“Yes I do seem to remember your mate having a formidable ire.” Sesshomaru agreed. “Not including yourself I can think of no other who dared threaten me so openly, and with my father’s own fang no less.”

InuYasha laughed again. “She’s got nerve. You have to give her that.”

“Indeed.” The tai youkai smiled. It was little more than a slight upturn of the corners of his mouth, but enough to show his amusement.

InuYasha couldn’t help but think that it was funny the way things worked out. Less than a year ago had you told him he would be sitting with his brother laughing about the time Kagome threatened to kill him in their father’s tomb, he would have told you that you had lost your mind, but here he was doing just that.

Then, to be marrying Kagome, who was already his mate, and after all that happened with Kikyou. Sometimes he wasn’t entirely sure that all of it wasn’t some wonderful dream. Again he closed his eyes and willed the hours to pass, so that he would be able to reunite with his beautiful mate and make her his wife.