InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Every Heart ❯ Chapter 2

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media. This is merely one girl’s dream of life after “The End.”

Kagome inhaled deeply, and then wrinkled her nose. Why was the ground wet and so very close to her nose? She breathed again as she contemplated this development, not yet ready to open her eyes and face the world. The earth didn’t smell much better on the second go-around.

Moaning, she opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. She was definitely outside, in the midst of the forest, curled up under a tree. This information didn’t jibe for some reason; slowly her memory came back to her. Naraku was dead. Everyone was alive and well, and she had been drifting along between wake and sleep for several days.

She sat up and reached for her head, rubbing a sore spot that had risen from lying on a tree root. She felt more rested than she had in a long time, and it seemed like even breathing was easier than it had been. One thing she really enjoyed about this era; the air was clean and crisp most of the time.

This era.

She should go back home soon.

Even thinking about “going home” made her flinch momentarily. What reason would she have for returning? Her epic quest was over. Would she even be able to pass back through the well after making the return journey? Her stomach twisted in knots as her mind raced through the possibilities.

“Oh!” Kagome was startled to realize she was wearing Inuyasha’s red haori over her uniform. When had that happened? She remembered leaving Kaede’s hut in search of him, but things were altogether fuzzy after that. Closing her eyes, she concentrated on her memory. With a happy jolt she recalled his kiss, but nothing after that.

“He kissed me,” she declared to no one in particular, letting a smile crease her lips. Her expression faded when she remembered the long look her gave her before said wonderful kiss. Was he seeing Kikyo? That’s what happened the last time he looked at me like that. Even three years past, that memory prickled her.

She stood up and started walking back in the direction of the village. She wasn’t surprised to find herself alone at the tree; after all, Inuyasha wasn’t at the hut when she first regained consciousness. She was willing to give him a bit of time to himself. She was grateful for his haori, however; the chill of the night still hadn’t lifted from the morning air.

Kagome had every intention of heading straight back for Kaede’s hut, but as she approached, something drew her attention to the shrine gates. She stopped and stared at the long staircase leading to the top, where Kikyo’s remains had once again been placed after her death. She didn’t know why, but she veered off her path and climbed the steps in silence.

Somehow, she wasn’t surprised to see Inuyasha at the top. He was standing a few feet in front of her, facing Kikyo’s grave. He was back to his demon form, his long silver hair flowing in the breeze. She watched as he knelt at Kikyo’s grave and placed a single flower at the base of the marker, murmuring something. His face was covered by his bangs, but she could read him well enough to see the sadness radiating from his form.

Why was she witnessing this? It was just as bad as seeing him with Kikyo’s undead body. Her stomach was still tight from her mental musings about home, and this was doing nothing to help that. It seemed she was destined to witness him mourning her in every form, and it just made her wonder even more about the night before. Just who did he think he was kissing?

“Kagome.” Inuyasha was still bent over Kikyo’s grave, and Kagome didn’t feel right advancing towards him. This was just another piece of him she couldn’t touch, no matter how hard she wished to understand him.

“Kagome.” This time he looked at her, his golden eyes bearing down on her. He stood and turned toward her, but didn’t move away from the grave.

He’s looking at me like that again! she thought fiercely. Part of her wanted to turn and run, but something held her in her spot. Suddenly, she had to know. “Was it me you saw last night?” she blurted out.

Inuyasha’s brow furrowed in confusion.

“Was it me you were looking at,” – was it me you kissed – “or was it Kikyo?” Kagome clarified, trying to control the rapid, high beating of her heart.

Inuyasha’s face cleared and he smiled as he closed the gap of space between them. “It was you. Kagome,” he replied, reaching for her hands. He gave them a little squeeze before continuing. “I think Kikyo’s soul is finally at rest. I don’t think she desires to come back to kill me.”

Kagome searched his eyes with awe. He seemed so calm, happy even, as he made this pronouncement. Could it be that his slavish devotion to Kikyo had finally passed? Did he finally see her, Kagome, as a wholly separate person? It was probably too much to hope for her feelings to be reciprocated, but on the whole, she thought, her eyes slipping down to their intertwined hands, it certainly looked promising.

“I see the jewel wasn’t purified into oblivion,” Inuyasha said a few moments later, reaching for the necklace and holding the Shikon No Tama with an appraising eye.

“Apparently I’m supposed to keep watch over it,” Kagome replied a bit glumly. “I suppose the battle within is still raging.”

Inuyasha considered this. “Kikyo told me that if a good wish was made upon it, it would disappear. Good would defeat evil, I guess.” He let the jewel fall back against her chest. “So what are you going to do?”

Kagome shrugged. “I don’t know. The jewel allows me to travel through the well…or at least, it did. Now that our quest is over, I’m not sure if the well will allow me to return if I go home.”

Inuyasha grabbed her shoulders. “Our quest isn’t over,” he said forcefully. “The jewel is still here! That’s got to mean there’s something left for you here.”

She looked into his wild eyes and wanted so badly to believe him. “But I brought the jewel with me to this era! Remember, it was in my body when I fell in the well in the first place!” She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly. “I don’t want to leave you, Inuyasha. I don’t want to be stuck in my time and not be able to see you.”

She felt his arms close around her shoulders, but he said nothing, only returning the force of her embrace.

~*~

“Do you have to go back?” Shippo asked, his voice low and pleading. He grasped the front of Kagome’s uniform tightly, as if he could burrow straight into her body.

“I think it’s best to keep the Shikon Jewel in my time for now,” Kagome said for what seemed like the millionth time. “There aren’t any youkai in my time, remember?” She tried to smile for the little fox kit, but he was having none of it.

The little group was standing next to the well, but this was not like the countless other times they had dutifully trooped here. Before, it was a struggle to get away from this era, to rush home for exams or to escape her broken heart. She had to make a break for it a few times, or threaten Inuyasha with bodily harm to let her pass.

Kagome looked past Shippo to Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha. The entire ensemble was somber, the air thick with uncertainty. This was no two-day jaunt home, with promises of more medical supplies, shampoo, and ramen to placate them. This time, there was no guarantee she could even pass through, much less come back to them.

“I’m sure my family is worried about me,” Kagome said, gazing down at the well. “It’s been weeks since I’ve been home.” Five days had passed since she and Inuyasha had clutched each other at Kikyo’s gravesite.

“Okay, enough with the sad faces,” Inuyasha suddenly objected. “Look, the sooner you go, the sooner you can come back, right?” He surveyed the group with his characteristic impatience. They all reluctantly nodded in agreement. “Don’t worry, guys. I can still pass through the well. I’ll go over and get Kagome and bring her back if she can’t come back on her own. This isn’t goodbye.”

“Right,” Miroku piped up, finally finding his voice. He embraced Kagome lightly, his hands staying above her waist for a change. “I expect some modern miracles to help heal my hand,” he joked as he pulled away. He had to rip the still-grasping Shippo out of her arms, too. “Hurry back.”

Sango was next; her hug was long and tight. “Be safe, Kagome,” she said, brushing tears from her eyes. She looked so much older than her years, but she had seen a lot of sorrow in her life.

“You too, Sango,” Kagome replied. She watched as her friend walked over to Miroku and Shippo, and the trio discreetly retreated a few feet away.

“Saps,” Inuyasha mumbled, cutting his eyes to their friends. He touched Kagome’s cheek, gently brushing her tears away. “Don’t cry, Kagome,” he said. “This isn’t goodbye.”

“I know,” she said, trying to feel brave. All she felt was the fear gnawing at her gut, fear that this was goodbye, that this was the last time she’d ever see her friends again. She bit her lip, but couldn’t tear her gaze from his. She wanted to memorize every feature of his face…just in case.

“I’m coming to get you,” he reminded her. “I’ll be generous; you have three days.”

She couldn’t help but smile at the jest. “Good thing I don’t have exams this time,” she joked back.

Inuyasha’s hand drifted from her cheek to her hair, drawing long, thick strands away from her face. Kagome drew a breath, wondering what he would do. He hadn’t kissed her again since his human night, but the dynamic between them had most definitely changed. It seemed their friends felt it, too, if the copious amounts of ‘alone time’ they suddenly had was any indication.

Inuyasha made no move closer to her, but he did lift a lock of her hair to his nose and inhale, his eyes closing as he did so. It reminded her of their kiss – perhaps intentionally – and she hugged him. Maybe he wasn’t yet ready to show such affection in front of their friends, but the gesture meant he was also thinking of that night.

Kagome broke away and leaned over to shoulder her heavy yellow backpack. It had seen its share of battles, but somehow it was still intact. “Will you hold my hand as I go?” she asked, not looking at Inuyasha.

In response, he took her hand and helped her climb over the ledge of the well. “I’ll see you in three days,” he said.

“Three days,” she repeated, letting go of the side. As she tumbled over, her last vision was of Inuyasha leaning into the well behind her, his long silver hair spilling over the side.

She passed through the time warp with no complications, as if it was any other jump at any other time. When she landed on the other side, she sat at the bottom of the well for a moment, touching the rough hewn dirt and wondering if she would be able to pass through again. She looked up, seeing the top of the well house, the sounds of the city slowly permeating the silence. Hefting her pack over her shoulder, she climbed the ladder and emerged, crossing to the door and opening it.

She wasn’t sure what she was expecting; it wasn’t as if anyone was expecting her. The world moved on as if nothing had occurred, and the irony stabbed at her for a moment. No one else would know or care if she could pass through the well again. After all, only three people on this side of the time warp even knew about her adventures, and even they didn’t know yet that the quest was over.

Taking a steadying breath, she walked out of the well house and into her own house. Her mother greeted her warmly at the door, in the midst of dinner preparations. She hugged her mother tightly before throwing her arms around her not-so-little brother Sota. Her grandfather was sitting at the table. He was getting on in years and wasn’t able to stand for long periods of time.

When she saw him, Kagome sat next to him and hugged him, tears spurting from her eyes, much like the first time she returned from the feudal era. She cried and cried and cried, and her grandfather didn’t say a word, merely holding her and absorbing her tears.

~*~

Her emotional breakdown earned Kagome an entire day at home, confined to her bed. She figured that wasn’t such a bad thing; after all, she had been under quite the emotional strain for weeks now. Twenty four hours of nothing but tub time and sleep went a long way to restoring her sanity.

Her mother was skeptical about Kagome’s ability to pass through the well again, but did her best to hide her feelings. She did, however, insist that her daughter apply to universities. Kagome wasn’t optimistic about her chances of being admitted to a program; her attendance at high school was horrible, and she had barely passed her classes because of the time she spent in the feudal era. Graduating from high school with a half-decent academic record was no mean feat, and it had been a great relief to not have compulsory school for the last part of their quest, when things got really sticky.

She spent a lot of time on the other side after graduation, and had grown distant from her high school friends. It was strange to spend her second day back with them, but they all made the effort. Each girl was attending a different university, but they decided to meet up at the student union at Ayumi’s school for lunch. They chatted easily enough, but they were all a bit uncomfortable. Matters did lighten, however, after Kagome assured Eri she wasn’t angry that the girl was dating Hojo now. The girls gave Kagome advice about which programs to apply for, but in the end Kagome told them she’d probably have to defer another semester before starting. She promised to keep them updated on the situation.

That evening, when she had returned from the university, she sat with her grandfather in the family room. He was the only one who seemed to take her story at face value, and he was greatly interested in seeing the Shikon Jewel. Kagome was loath to have it out of her sight, but she had let her grandfather examine it while she was out with her friends. Now she was curious to find out what he thought of it.

“Well, Grandpa, what do you think?” she asked him, slipping to the seat beside him on the floor.

“You have no idea what it means to hold such a treasure,” he replied, reverently holding the jewel out to her in his cupped hands. “Even after handling all of the artifacts and icons for the shrine, that is something special.”

Kagome slipped the jewel around her neck. “I still can’t believe it emerged from my body.”

“Yes, about that,” her grandfather mused. “I’ve been experimenting with the jewel while you were gone.”

Kagome’s eyebrows shot up. “What do you mean, ‘experimenting’?!” she cried.

Her grandfather chuckled. “Nothing so bad as that,” he assured her. “I was just wondering if the jewel could conjure a barrier. I mean, how did you not feel it lodged in your side before it came out of you?”

Kagome looked down at the Shikon No Tama with new eyes. “Is there something in the old legends about that?”

“I was looking in the scrolls, but I found nothing,” her grandfather said. “Of course, those scrolls were written before you went back and rewrote history. But it seems like there was some sort of mystical protection of it, even under Kikyo’s care. She slayed any demons who came close, but none were able to touch it anyway, right?” He continued to prattle on, but Kagome tuned him out.

The jewel can construct a spiritual barrier? If this was true, she could travel back to the feudal era much more often than she anticipated. There, demons of every size and shape would be after its powers, and it was dangerous to carry it around. But if there was an innate shield, perhaps she could visit her friends there more often, or for longer periods of time, without trouble.

“Don’t get too excited just yet, Kagome,” her grandfather warned, bringing her back to the present. “I worked and worked with it, but I couldn’t see the barrier form. You may have to train your spiritual energy on it to make the barrier appear.”

“Then I’ll do just that, Grandpa,” she said firmly, grasping the jewel tightly in her fist. “If it’s my passage through the well, I’ll do everything in my power to ensure the barrier’s construction.” With that, she bolted for her room, working on experiments of her own with the new information.

She spent her third day at home working with the Shikon Jewel, trying to figure out the secret to its supposed spiritual barrier. For hours, she concentrated her spiritual powers on the jewel, but no barrier was forthcoming. The jewel glowed almost white with purity, but nothing more. Discouraged, she tucked it back under her shirt and began packing for her return trip through the well.

Her mother humored her, taking her to the store to stock up on supplies and food, as if it was just another trip down the well. She did start applying the pressure to enroll in school, but Kagome deftly dodged it. She wanted to further her education, but had no idea what she wanted to study, much less where she wanted to attend school. This new intrigue with the jewel had captivated her attention instead, and made her wonder if Inuyasha hadn’t been right, that she wasn’t yet finished with the feudal era.

She was quite happy to pack fresh street clothes instead of her endless supply of uniforms. The green from middle school, then the blue from high school, had seen more action on bloody battlefields than in the classroom. This time she packed plenty of pants and sweaters, along with her usual stash of socks and underwear. She also traded her loafers for sneakers. Her yellow bag was almost bursting at the seams by the time she finished.

“So how long will you be gone this time, sis?” Sota asked as he leaned against her doorway and watched her pack. Buyo, the family cat, also eyed her from the safety of Sota’s feet. He had gone in and sniffed around, but had no intention of being thrown in the pack by accident.

“First we have to make sure I can go back,” she replied. She looked up at her brother, who was almost her height and dressed in the typical black gakuran for school. “If I get there, I can’t stay for too long at a time, because every demon on earth will be after the Shikon Jewel. Until I figure out how to protect it, I probably won’t be gone for very long at any certain time.” She put the pack on her bed and pulled the top flap down, struggling to close it.

“Mom’s skeptical,” Sota said, watching her struggle but not offering to help.

“I know,” Kagome groaned, finally feeling the clasp close. She sat beside the pack. “I know she wants me to settle down and go back to school. And I will, eventually. I mean, I can’t stay over there forever…”

“And we don’t want you to,” Sota said firmly. “You do belong here, after all.”

Kagome smiled at him, the gesture not quite meeting her eyes. She was beginning to wonder if she truly belonged in any time period. “Well, I suppose I’ll wait for Inuyasha to come get me this time,” she mused. “I’m afraid to jump down the well and not be able to get through–”

“Inuyasha’s coming?” Sota screeched. Kagome almost laughed at the expression on his face. It was as if he had been reduced to his 8-year-old hero-worshiping self. “Ultra cool!” He picked up her pack and slung it over his shoulder. “Race you to the well house!”

“Sota!” Kagome cried, laughing. She left her room on his heels, but stopped on her way out to hug her mother and grandfather.

“Keep working with the jewel,” her grandfather said. “It’s glowing brightly.”

Kagome nodded, excitement rising in her throat as she walked outside. She faced the Sacred Tree and smiled, crossing her fingers as she entered the well house. Sota was standing on the platform just inside the door, hesitant to go any closer to the well. The one time he’d jumped down it, in search of his hero, the well had rejected him, and he’d pawed at the ground and screamed in horror. The experience was enough to keep him close the door, even all these years later.

The pair was silent as they waited for Inuyasha to appear. “Are you scared, sis?” Sota whispered, eyeing the well. “What if you can’t go back?”

Kagome swallowed, pushing past the lump that formed in her throat. “Inuyasha can pass through the well even without jewel shards. I can go back anytime he comes to get me.” She tried to sound confident, but uncertainty hung in the air around them.

The sun descended in the sky, its light fading from the door as they waited. Kagome was beginning to get nervous. What could possibly be taking Inuyasha so long? Would she have to hazard going back on her own?

As her heart steadily climbed up her throat, she felt the power of the well opening. Sota gasped beside her as Inuyasha appeared, throwing his arms over the rim and breathing heavily.

“Inuyasha!” the siblings exclaimed at the same time. Inuyasha slowly pulled himself over the edge of the well, tumbling down the other side. He sat up on his hands and knees, and Kagome could see that he was soaked in sweat. She fumbled down the steps to him.

“I made it back for you,” Inuyasha gasped, “just like I promised.” He teetered and fell on his side, his breathing still heavy and sweat pouring from his face.

“Sota, run back to the house and get a wet cloth!” Kagome shouted. She looked up at him and saw that he was frozen in place, his eyes as big as dinner plates. “NOW, Sota!” He scrambled to his feet and took off.

Kagome pushed Inuyasha’s hair from his face and realized that he was covered with dirt and…bones? “Inuyasha, what happened?” she asked him frantically.

He didn’t answer her.