InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Expect the Unexpected ❯ Redemption ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha…is this really necessary?



Chapter Eight: Redemption

Kagome pulled herself over the lip of the Bone-eater’s well with a small grunt of exertion. She collapsed into a sitting position inside the dark shrine and stared at the door that would lead to the shrine. Somehow the darkened little well-house fit her mood much better than the sunny shrine ever could. Her entire life had been turned over when she had met Inuyasha. She had grown into her new life…grown to love it…as she loved Inuyasha. But now thatlife had been ripped away as well. She could never return to her old life, not knowing how she had been in love…still was, no matter how much it hurt her. Kagome was doomed to live in exile from both lives, an unhappy world between.

Of course, perhaps most painful of all was her fear that the world she had so recently lost might never have been in the first place. Inuyasha had made it obvious that he didn’t care for her, probably never had. He had turned out to be nothing of what she had believed. Had that wonderful life been a mere delusion? Kagome had never realized before exactly how much she loved her life, how wonderful it was. It may have been a hard life, and rather sad at times, with all the tragedy that seemed to follow their group, but she had been in love. It was always better to have love. She only now realized that.

A small tear slipped down her cheek as she remembered that she probably never hadhad that love. Would she rather continue to deceive herself? Would she rather lie? Yes. It was so easy to answer. Even telling herself that she really didn’t want that did not shake the feeling. She would rather have continued in her dream. A small sob escaped her and she immediately took a calming breath.

Kagome wiped the single tear from her cheek and breathed deeply to regain her composure. She couldn’t have her family worrying about her, after all. But maybe she could just stay in the well-house…she felt like weeping away her despondency. She almost did stay and cry, but she knew that no amount of tears would quench her misery. Kagome stood shakily and stumbled to the door of the well-house.

It was depressingly sunny outside…a gorgeous day. Why did it have to be so nice? The world was not bright and sunny for Kagome. The world was cold and desolate. She crossed the shrine grounds slowly, still composing herself. She stood before the front door for a moment, preparing herself, willing herself to act cheerful and bright. Then Kagome opened the door and entered. Sp engrossed in her misery, she never noticed the malevolence about the shrine. The door swung closed.

***

Inuyasha burst from the well and found himself in the well-house. Without pause, he flung the door open and dashed towards Kagome’s house. A foul scent reached his nose, and Inuyasha nearly gagged. He never slowed as he reached the house, flinging himself though the air. He hurtled through the window and landed in utter darkness. He could see nothing, and even the sound of glass crashing to the ground seemed muted. But the foul scent was overwhelmingly strong. Kagome!

***

Kagome instantly knew something was wrong. The air seemed thick, hard to breath, and it was too dark inside for the time of day. Then she felt it…an evil presence! No, many of them! The house was full of demons!

Kagome’s breathing came raggedly as she realized what that could mean. Her family…No! She had to save them! Kagome ran deeper into the house, and nearly tripped over her own feet when she found them in the living room. It was hard to see them in the steadily darkening house, but she could make out three forms lounging on the couch and chair. They were asleep?

Kagome drew nearer. Only then did she notice the vines wrapping about her family. Those vines, they were the same ones that Naraku had used on them before! They were killing her family. Kagome rushed over to her mother’s side and swung her backpack at the reaching tentacles, trying to beat them from the still form.

A heavy blow caught her in the back and sent her tumbling onto her mother. Turning her head in shock, Kagome saw her attacker. It was Inuyasha! He had attacked her! Kagome nearly screamed in fright and sorrow.

Inuyasha cracked his knuckles threateningly, and his small menacing chuckle reverberated through the room. Kagome felt faint. This wasn’t happening…how could Inuyasha do this? When her family was in danger from Naraku? He would never team up with Naraku! Something felt wrong, but Kagome couldn’t quite see it. Her back throbbed, but not so painfully as she would have expected from one of Inuyasha’s punches. Was he toying with her?

The feral hanyou raised his right hand high over her head, obviously intending to finish her now…kill her with his own claws, instead of Tetsusaiga. Kagome squeezed her eyes closed, waiting for the end. She couldn’t see him…not like that. There was a rush of wind and a sickening tearing sound. Kagome nearly opened her eyes in shock. She was still alive…how? A light touch at her face caused her to blink, and she found herself staring up into Inuyasha’s soulful, sad eyes. They weren’t so sad right now though…they were bright with…was it anger? Fear? Worry and relief?

Before she could even react, Inuyasha swept forward pressed his lips against hers. Kagome’s mind lost all coherence as she felt the hanyou kissing her so passionately. It was as if he were pouring all of his fear, anger, worry, and relief into the kiss. Kagome melted against him, forgetting how this had come about, only knowing that Inuyasha was kissing her…something she had dreamed for so long.

Too soon, the hanyou drew back, looking her in the eyes, now with more relief than anything else. He started as he noticed the other figures in the room and leapt to slash at the vines holding them. Kagome was frozen. Inuyasha had just kissed her…wait! He had just tried to kill her! What the hell was going on!

Kagome nearly turned to shout at the hanyou, but then she noticed the corpse on the ground before her. It was in several gory pieces, and she nearly gagged at the sight. It was hard to recognize as having ever been remotely human, but through the black blood she could make out a mass of shining silver hair.

She turned to look at Inuyasha, who was watching her with a pensive expression. Kagome opened her mouth but no sound came out. Inuyasha had saved her? But…the imposter…He had been an imposter, right? Hope filled her as an idea came. Maybe that thing had been the one who had been so cruel to her for the last few days! Maybe it had never been the real Inuyasha at all.

***

Inuyasha saw Kagome’s eyes light up with hope as she looked between him and the bloody mass on the floor…and walls…and ceiling. No, he could not lie to her…He could not let her believe something that was not true. Glancing at the still unconscious forms in the room, he uncertainly opened his mouth to speak.

Kagome…it isn’t what you’re thinking.” Her face was confused. Inuyasha sighed. “I was me the whole time…back in Sengoku Jidai. It was all me.” Kagome’s face fell, and Inuyasha could practically see her heart breaking. He couldn’t stand that. Even though she had rejected him, he still loved her. “I can’t apologize for what I did…I can never forgive myself for what I did…but it was me…”

Kagome looked at him with pain evident in her eyes, but there was something else there. Was that love? It was impossible. Inuyasha sighed and slumped his shoulders and stared at the ground, bloody as it was. “I was me, Kagome…but at the same time, I wasn’t me. It just hurt so much when you sent me away…I couldn’t take that. I just stopped feeling…I didn’t want to because it all hurt too much. I almost wanted to die.”

He glanced at her face and saw her looking at him with compassion and regret. She was sorry? Of course she was, fool! She told you so! You just didn’t listen! “I…I couldn’t live without you, Kagome…not when you were so cruel to me.”

Inuyasha was startled when he felt arms gently wrap about him. He found Kagome staring up into his eyes, her own eyes teary and bright. “Inuyasha…I am so sorry…I wish that I had never said those horrible things. I was angry…I didn’t really mean them. I…I love you, Inuyasha.”

What! Inuyasha found himself staring at her, mouth open wide in surprise. Kagome smiled, both sad and sweet, and pushed his mouth closed. The hanyou was still stunned, but his surprise was nothing to the shock he got next. Kagome pressed her lips against his softly, kissing him smoothly and deliciously. Her taste was so sweet. Inuyasha closed his eyes, savoring the moment, still not believing it could be true.

Kagome eventually pulled away, after what felt at the same time like forever and just an instant. Inuyasha yearned to keep feeling it, but he instead stroked her hair softly and stared down into her beautiful eyes, drinking them with his own. He had never felt so happy before in his life. Kagome loved him.

End of Chapter Eight



-Chevalier