InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Expect the Unexpected ❯ Chaos ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha…is this really necessary?



Chapter Eleven: Chaos

Inuyasha sat in the go-shinboku and stared at the not-so-starry sky. Kagome’s world didn’t seem to have so many stars as his, though it was certainly brighter at night from all the buildings and glass torches. He could not help but feel the melancholy that weighed on his heart. Oh, when Kagome was near, he did not feel it so strongly, just a nagging spot on his heart, but when she was gone it returned. Kikyou was dead…and he had let her die…again.

He didn’t regret his choice at all. It was that he had had to make a choice that he regretted, or at least in that way. He shouldn’t have put it off…not until it was a life or death decision. He had known that he loved Kagome. He had known in his heart, no matter how confused he had been. His heart had chosen Kagome long before, if only his head had been able to listen. Now it was too late, and all he would have of Kikyou was that last look…that look of absolute betrayal.

They had buried what had once been the woman he loved near her old grave, and marked it for the villagers’ return. Kikyou was at peace again, if not restored to it the way Inuyasha had wanted. He had wanted her to go gently, satisfied that he would never forget her in his heart. His one consolation was that he had begun to look back on the events since he had awoken and found that things may not have been as they seemed.

Kikyou had already been dead. He had been free to love Kagome, and he had, no matter what he chose. When Kikyou had seemingly been revived, it had not been her true soul. She had not been the Kikyou he had loved. Of course, he had been unable to see that at the time. He could only see Kikyou. The Kikyou that had died this time had not been the Kikyou he had loved…it had only been an imposter. This did not completely absolve the hanyou of his pain, but it helped him greatly. If he had chosen a false Kikyou over Kagome, then he would not have deserved to live…would not have deserved Kagome’s love, which was more dear to him than his own life could ever be.

Kagome had been there all the time he buried Kikyou, and he had felt whole throughout. This time it had not felt as if his heart were being crushed in a demon’s grip. Kagome had been with him right up until night fell. He had been offered lodging within the house, but he had not taken it. He had wanted some time to himself, time to think. He regretted it now. Inuyasha should have taken the offer. Of course, he was not certain about the sleeping arrangements. He felt that he and Kagome should be together, but he doubted anyone but Kagome would agree…and she probably wouldn’t allow it anyways. So he slept out in the tree, waiting for the new day to come so he could be with the girl he loved once more.

There were still dangers to watch out for. That Hojo boy…Inuyasha could not be certain that he was dead. He had hardly believed Naraku dead. Only now was he coming to grips with it. Even after all had been done, and he and Kagome had prepared to return to her era, he had imagined so briefly that he had smelled Naraku. It had been very faint, almost like a memory of the scent. Inuyasha had searched briefly with both eyes and nose, but he had found nothing.

It had only been his imagination after all. But still…had he imagined those eyes on him as he kissed Kagome? The hatred there? He must have, for there had been nothing there to watch him, not even a bird. Now that he thought about it, the absence of the animals had been a bit odd, but he had attributed it to Naraku’s recent presence. No doubt even the birds found the demon repulsive.

Inuyasha felt the night pass as he brooded, wishing that he had Kagome near him, her warm, soft body next to his. He embarrassed himself by daydreaming about her and nearly slipping out of the tree, but he caught himself, thoroughly glad that no one had been there to see him. His daydreams were getting worse and worse now and coming more often. He could hardly keep away from her at all. He loved her too much to be apart for long. Even this one night seemed to stretch on forever.

Slowly it occurred to Inuyasha, that the night was indeed dragging on. Surely the Sun should have risen by now. He had felt the hours pass, even during his sleep he had felt the passage of time. The Sun should have risen a while ago. Then he smelled it again. It was that scent which he despised so. In this time it could only be that fiend Hojo, but the scent was drifting in from the very heavens, like a fog over the sky.

Watching the sky carefully, Inuyasha noticed brief flashes of light that through what appeared to be a black haze. It had rolled in without him noticing and covered the sky, blocking out all light. Sun, Moon, nor star penetrated the thick veil. The Sun would never rise again if the dark cloud was not lifted.

***

Kagome awoke feeling wrong. There was something nagging at her senses. It was still dark outside, which surprised her, because she felt as if she had been asleep longer than that. Kagome could feel the slight presence of a demon, but it wasn’t like normal feeling she got when a demon was near. It felt as if this demon were all about her, in the very air.

Kagome got up and through on her clothes hurriedly, making her way to the go-shinboku. She met Inuyasha halfway there, nearly running into him as he raced towards her. Kagome opened her mouth to ask Inuyasha what was going on, but she gasped, for the first time getting a good look at him. His hair was raven-black and his dog ears were gone. He was human! But it wasn’t the New Moon! It should have still been a while away.

Inuyasha saw Kagome’s open-mouthed stare and looked at his hands in surprise. There were no claws upon them. The surprise on his face was obvious. He hadn’t realized that he was human. But the realization on his face was followed shortly by a look of horror and dismay. Before Kagome could react, he had swept her into his arms and dashed towards the streets, away from the shrine.

Kagome saw the dark shadow that reared over her home and heard the thunderous explosion as it crashed into the shrine. The earth shook and bits of earth rained down on the nearby buildings. The entire city seemed to have woken up at that fierce sound and people were vainly trying to turn on their lights to dispel the black fog enveloping the area. Not a light shone through the dark mist, however, and the people immediately began to panic, cries rising from unseen throats all about. In the chaos, Kagome almost did not notice the boy before her, but she saw those eyes and cried out. Inuyasha swept about, coming between her and the threat immediately.

Hojo smiled that foolish smile, all the time evil shining from his eyes. His kindly face only served to make Kagome hate him all the more. It was too great a lie. All of his innocence, all of the humanity in him was false, just a shell to hide the cruelty roiling within his soul. His voice when he spoke was like two different voices, both reaching her ears at once. One was soft and sweet, if a bit daft. The other was malicious and despicable, smooth yet rasping, deep yet shrill. Kagome shuddered, almost missing his words.

Higurashi, I have missed you. I have been waiting so very longfor you. Do you realize how long I have been waiting, my sweet Higurashi? Do you realize how very long I have wanted you? No, you can not know, even now. Your body will be mine to enjoy as I please, but I shall crush your spirit now, as I have longed to do for these centuries. I will kill your sweet lover, the cursed hanyou, and you will be mine as I have waited for. My revenge upon you shall be so delicious.” Hojo actually licked his lips as he looked on her, and Kagome felt like retching.

***

Inuyasha growled as best he could in his human form, drawing Hojo’s attention to himself. If Hojo’s expression could have shown anything but that sickening kindness, his face would have been contorted in pure hatred. Inuyasha returned the look with pure fury. Hojo merely smiled on at the fiery rage in the hanyou’s violet eyes, however, his own eyes smoldering malevolently.

Oh, I almost didn’t see you, hanyou. Do you enjoy being human? Being weak? Do you enjoy knowing that you are unable to protect the girl you love so dearly, and that as I take her it will have all been because you failed to protect her? Do you enjoy remembering that you have already failed to protect the one you loved? It seems that I shall always have what you desire, hanyou.”

Inuyasha snarled and leapt at the fragile form before him, fists swinging hard. Claws tore into his right shoulder and a hot, searing pain shot through his left side. Kagome screamed as Inuyasha collapsed to the pavement, blood leaking from his shoulder and a long wound up his side. Hojo stepped on the back of the injured hanyou’s head, grinding his face into the street. Inuyasha let out an incoherent sound that was probably cursing, but his voice was fainter than usual.

Do you enjoy this, hanyou? You seem to enjoy bringing pain upon yourself…perhaps this will please you then.” Hojo flipped Inuyasha onto his back and brought his foot down on the surprised hanyou’s chest. Kagome’s insides churned as she heard the cracking of broken bones. Inuyasha gasped and wheezed, trying to find breath, but only managed to cough and sputter painfully, blood leaking from his mouth and down his cheek. He couldn’t even move, and the world seemed to be growing more distant. He could barely hear Kagome’s cries anymore. He couldn’t see anything at all. It was all so black…

***

Kagome screamed Inuyasha’s name again, but there was no response. Her hanyou was not moving at all. Tears slid carelessly down her cheeks as she fell by his side, shaking him frantically. No matter how she begged him, how she threatened him, he did not respond. Inuyasha did not respond at all. His eyes were so dull.

End of Chapter Eleven



-Chevalier