InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Exploring the Sengoku Jidai ❯ Like a Dream ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Like a Dream…
 
 
 
The day was blue, green and shiny. Friendship flowed easily with laughter, restoring the broken dreams and sadness of our journey.
 
And then time slowed in the darkness of shadow - the sun withdrawing - refusing to witness. Like a nightmare, my limbs could not move fast enough to slow the swarm raining down on the houshi as he and his almost-family became caught in the buzzing of pestilence and pain. My mind could not think fast enough to dodge the ploys of appendages that tore and taunted me, drawing me from that most precious, the little one in her arms. Caught in a toxic tangle of anger and fury, I thrashed blindly praying my actions were saving and not destroying those whom I fought so hard to protect. But the nightmare slowdown rendered my flails futile in the end, only ripping at noxious flesh to deliver poison air that none could breathe.
 
Hopelessly the smog cleared to reveal a broken body lying across us, limp and lifeless in death. And there in the center of it all was the small form of our savior, no longer round and pink.
 
“Great job, Shippou!”
 
“Wow,” he breathed dazedly. “That was like a dream.”