InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Exploring the Sengoku Jidai ❯ Premonition ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Written for LJ's IYIssekiwa
Theme: Upset
Inu+Kag
Rated: G
 
Premonition

Firelight danced before him, the flames' roiling acid light reflecting from deep within his gut to push back at the night.

“Something's wrong. Kagome's upset.” Sango's soft words stirred his anger. He ignored her. It was… more than upset. He could feel…..

They watched Kagome turn from the fire, her movements slow, eyes transfixed on something beyond focus. 

It was as though Kagome was out of focus and it shook him to the core. Her gaze on nothing, her footsteps stumbling; his heart beat hard against his lungs until breath fled from each thudding jar to his chest.
   
The air whistled as he lunged, meeting her where the light ended and catching her as she startled into his arms.

Their hearts together deafened him.

“InuYasha…” Her eyes were lost to him in the dark. “I'm losing…”

“No.” I'm losing.

“Time wants me back,” she whispered.  Body rigid, he held her to his chest. I won't let you go.

But Time is only about letting go.

His arms collapsed slowly, imprisoning his scream between furious red waves until he was hugging himself and only her flickering scent remained, a cruel tease of memory upended.

The blood-red wash held him, drowning him until he was lost….

“InuYasha?” Kagome called him back. “Time to get up.”

Life refocused as he awoke to the peaceful scents of the morning campfire.  But still, he could barely breathe.

Time... Shaky rasps jarred the feared word in his heart. Silently he pleaded for just a little more.