InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facets of the Living Jewel ❯ Concordia discors ( Chapter 64 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters, Ms. Takahashi does. Houseki is mine, as mixed up as he/she may be, and the plot of this story belongs to me as well.
 
Wow! Thanks to everyone who voted for `Facets' in IYFG's Best of 2006 awards: it won Best Serial of 2006! Thanks also to Ranuel/Ranitagoyle and Ranuel/Fenikkusuken for nominating `Facets' for the first quarter Best AR/AU and Best Serial, respectively; thanks to the members for giving it first place in Best AR/AU and second in Best Serial!
 
Finally, I would like to say a big `thank you' to AlucardAstro and shlibo1. Real life has taken a sledge hammer to me lately and I don't think you know how important your emails were! They came at a time when I had despaired about my writing ability and was wondering whether I should continue at all. Thank you for “restoring the balance” and know that I would not have continued `Facets' without your kind encouragement. As it is, I'm horribly late in updating, but I can only say to my readers that I'm sorry and there were compelling reasons.
 
Fonts:
Inuyoukai
Inuhuman
 
Concordia discors
By Licentia poetica
 
As Sesshoumaru's true form continued to materialize and the strident clamoring of Mouryoumaru's demons steadily increased in volume, Inuyasha placed his right hand on the Tessaiga's tsuka and flicked it slightly out of the saya with his left thumb. A soft, warning whine from Houseki made him aware of his automatic movements; he began to curse colorfully and jerked his hands away from the Tessaiga. `Damn! I can't use it and my body's weak! How the hell am I going to protect Kagome and the Pack?' He grimaced at the mental silence that greeted his thoughts. `I never thought I'd miss those damn voices in my head.'
 
Houseki made another small sound behind him and he snarled “Stay behind me. Your only chance is that he has to go through me to get you and he has an agreement with me.” Settling in to the ready stance of the katana katas, he readied himself to protect the amalgam with his weakened body. He glanced over to the rest of his Pack and saw Miroku backing toward him, gesturing urgently to Midoriko; the monk turned and jogged toward him just as a barrier with the light cornflower-blue color of Midoriko's power shimmered over the Time Lord, Kagome, Sango, and Shippo. Shiro nimbly scuttled out from under the leading edge of the barrier just before it completely closed and began nervously pacing in between it and Sesshoumaru's roiling youki.
 
`Kagome.' For one long moment Inuyasha locked eyes with his mate; Kagome smiled wearily at him through the shimmering force lines. `She's exhausted but trying not to show it.' Miroku's voice forced him to turn away and face Sesshoumaru's coalescing youki.
 
“Since our friend here lacks both courage and wisdom, I thought it best to guard your back, Inuyasha.” With a wry grin, Miroku turned around and settled into a horse stance, scanning the trees around them with his back to Inuyasha and Houseki.
 
A triumphant smirk spread across Inuyasha's face just as Sesshoumaru completed his transformation. `With Miroku at my back I can concentrate on Baka no Taisho.' He raised his head to face his brother and had to keep raising it; his grin faded a bit. `Shit, I forgot how big he is.'
 
The massive inu raised his head and gave the Pack Cry followed by a thunderous growl that shook the earth. Midoriko's barrier rippled with the blast of his youki and, as the sounds reverberated in the distance, the calls of the approaching demons suddenly ceased. They were immediately replaced by the answering calls, many faint and far off, of the Inu no Taisho's Packs. Runt and Jinx threw their heads back and answered, but Shiro growled back, modifying his territorial challenge by refusing to look directly at Sesshoumaru.
 
`He let them know who's really the Inu no Taisho over here but told them to stay away, it's his fight. Well, at least his Cry shut up Mouryoumaru's demons; he might have bought us some time.' Inuyasha growled encouragement to the Kai-wolves as he stepped forward into an attack stance, but at his movement Sesshoumaru lowered his head and snarled, his crimson eyes glowing even in the bright light of the early morning sunshine. His muzzle dripped poison onto the ground beneath him, searing the grass and raising an eye-watering, acrid smoke. The Kai-wolves whined and Houseki began to sneeze behind him, but Inuyasha smirked as the fumes merely irritated his nose a bit. `At least there's one good thing about my dulled senses.' Stifling a reflexive cough, he growled back, answering the territorial challenge with one of his own. `Shit. I sound like a newborn pup next to him.' He opened his mouth, but before he could say a word Houseki echoed his challenge from behind him, the sound resonating with all the power of his missing youki.
 
Sesshoumaru's red gaze flicked to Houseki and his lips drew back over his fangs as he snarled in response.
 
`Damnit!' Inuyasha growled in frustration as the amalgam began to babble behind him, the different kon voices almost overlapping in counterpoint.
 
“Why did we do that? This Inuyasha is alpha. But father-mate-brother is—we're alpha? Damn straight, and there's no way we'll—it is not necessary towe didn't think—”
 
Sesshoumaru's head cocked to one side but he was still growling formidably.
 
“Houseki! Shut the hell up!” Inuyasha shouted, flexing his claws irritably and snarling up at Sesshoumaru. `I've gotta draw his attention back to me!' Sesshoumaru's head snapped back to vertical again and his growl intensified. `How the hell am I going to calm him down without fighting?'
 
Before either of the alpha males could move or say anything more, Kirara leaped forward, purring loudly. Inuyasha's mouth opened in astonishment as she stroked her entire body against the outside of Sesshoumaru's foreleg, turning inwards and raising her head to rub against his massive chest as he gave a furious snarl. He lowered his head to her, growling fiercely, but Kirara continued to purr and rubbed her cheek against the inside of his leg. The poison from his jaws dripped near her and she reached out a flaming paw to incinerate the drops in mid-air; the resulting smoke forced Sesshoumaru to pull back his head, snorting. Kirara extinguished her fire and batted him lightly on the muzzle, eliciting a fierce growl in response. The massive pulse of youki that accompanied it rippled Midoriko's barrier and Shiro shied away, crouching down and growling softly with his head turned away from Sesshoumaru.
 
`Kirara?' Inuyasha stared in shock as she ignored Sesshoumaru's warning and continued to rub against his leg and chest. She began to speak in a combination of Neko and Inu, the words resonating oddly through her throbbing purr.
 
“Big Pfffffft, be calm.”
 
Inuyasha stood with his mouth slack with astonishment. `She called him Big Dog? She's complimenting him? No word games?'
 
“You are needed, Big Pfffffft.” Sesshoumaru's lips rose over his fangs in a vicious snarl and Kirara's throbbing purr increased, causing ripples in Midoriko's barrier.
 
Inuyasha closed his mouth abruptly. `Gods! She's using her youki in her purr!' He made a soft, incredulous grunt, echoed from behind by Houseki.
 
Kirara gave him a long, speaking glance as she rubbed her head against Sesshoumaru's chest again. “Come, Big Pfffffft, you are still Rrowhhsss Pfffffft and there is other prey to hunt.”
 
Sesshoumaru's growl shook the ground and once again Midoriko's barrier rippled in reaction. In Inu, he answered, “Silence, jigokuneko! The challenge has been given and this Sesshoumaru will no longer tolerate—”
 
Kirara did not let him finish, purring louder and batting him once again on the muzzle with a velveted paw. “Hush, Big Pfffffft.” Ignoring his ferocious snarl in response she added acerbically, “Use your intelligence instead of your male instincts. Remind me that you have more brains than the average inu.”
 
`Gods! Why hasn't he killed her?' Inuyasha watched in complete astonishment as Kirara's rumbling purr became the only sound in the clearing. Sesshoumaru's head turned back toward him and he tensed as he stared into the red, angry eyes. `Don't expect me to back down, brother.'
 
Sesshoumaru's nose twitched as Kirara rubbed her head against his chest a third time and purred, “Would you bother with a challenge from a mere kitten? It was not Mmrrowhhsssaa who gave the Cry, Big Pfffffft, but a kitten merely minutes old.” At the word `challenge' he crouched, ready to spring forward, but she wove her way around and under his foreleg and chest as she spoke, preventing him from moving forward. Pressing him backwards with her head and body, she continued to purr, “You would not kill a kitten for ignorance. You would not exile a kitten from the Pride for testing its abilities; you would teach it its place.”
 
Miroku gave a wordless battle cry from behind Inuyasha as a vanguard of Mouryoumaru's demons entered the clearing. Jinx and Runt ran to the monk's side, flanking him as he held up his shakujou in ready position. The demons moved without caution, racing as if inexorably drawn toward the group and focusing on Miroku, Inuyasha, and Midoriko's barrier.
 
“Shit! They're coming after our haku!” Inuyasha growled, trying to step around Houseki and join Miroku.
 
With a vicious snarl, Sesshoumaru leaped over Inuyasha and slammed into the front line, tearing apart half of the group with one snap of his jaws. Kirara followed, clawing at the demons that tried to pass by him with a hissing yowl that grated against Inuyasha's muted hearing. As she tumbled through the air, spitting and tearing with claws and fangs at the cloud of demons that turned on her, Sesshoumaru killed the rest with a silent, ruthless efficiency. Within seconds the skirmish was over. As Sesshoumaru ripped the head off of the final survivor, a massive demon that looked like a cross between a cockroach and a crab, Houseki spoke again.
 
“Wow! That was fantastic! Kirara's always been a fierce fighter, and she taught us when we were a child. Sesshoumaru was incredible, too! Well, we guess he is rather impressive in this form. But Inuyasha's ears are cuter. This Inuyasha wonders whether this is the correct time to compare ourselves to the Inu no Taisho.
 
Sesshoumaru turned and focused on Houseki again, baring his teeth in a silent snarl.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes and growled, his blunted claws flexing impotently in frustration as the amalgam continued to babble. `Damnit! I can't control Houseki and I can't fight! I have to think my way out of this one.' Gritting his teeth to control his irritation, he smacked his hand down on Houseki's shoulder.
 
“Eeep!” Houseki jerked and turned to face him.
 
He took a deep breath and stared straight into the startled amalgam's eyes, enforcing his status as alpha. “Houseki. Be. Quiet.” Houseki's eyes widened and its head lowered so that it was looking up at him through its eyelashes. “No more talking, do you understand me?” He searched the oddly colored eyes for a moment. “Whatever part of me is in there, enforce this. I don't care how out of balance you are—use whatever you've got in there for a brain. Our Pack's lives depend on it.”
 
Houseki pressed its lips together in a tight line and nodded its head briskly. Inuyasha looked up and met Miroku's gaze; the monk shrugged and shook his head with a wry smile.
 
Their three heads whipped around as a formidable growl echoed through the morning air. Sesshoumaru stood facing the south, Kirara still purring loudly as she stood underneath his chest, cleaning her paw. Inuyasha blinked in astonishment as the Inu no Taisho gave a series of loud, deep barks, the ruff around his neck bristling with aggression. `He's warning Mouryoumaru off. He's protecting us?'
 
He stepped in front of Houseki as the massive head swung toward them. Runt and Jinx flanked him and he heard the swishing sound of Miroku's robes as the monk moved around Houseki to guard his back again. He took a deep breath. `I don't know how much time we have, but I've got to save the Pack.'
 
Youki swirled and the humanoid form of his brother appeared, wavering as the cool façade of civility barely held against the forces of rage and instinct still gripping the Inu no Taisho. Kirara moved behind Sesshoumaru, her tails lashing the air with an agitation that was in stark contrast to her continual soothing purr. `Gods! He's allowing her to guard his back?'
 
“Explain,” Sesshoumaru growled as his cold gaze focused on Houseki.
 
Inuyasha kept his gaze fixed on Sesshoumaru. “The Shikon Jewel and Kagome caused time to—”
 
Sesshoumaru's seishou whip flicked out, cutting the head off of a demon that streaked into the clearing, maddened by the scent of haku in the air. The taiyoukai's gaze never left Houseki as he growled, “This Sesshoumaru is aware of your intentions to form a Living Jewel; do not bore me with needless explanations.” The whip flicked forward, snapping in the air directly in front of Houseki's nose. “Explain this.”
 
“How the hell did you find out about the Living Jewel?”
 
“This Sesshoumaru is neither stupid nor ignorant. You are too used to speaking around insensitive human ears.” The taiyoukai's eyes narrowed as he growled out, “This creature…it is not truly alive. It carries your kon; you, your human Pack, the kit's, and another I do not recognize.”
 
“That is Aiko, Miroku and Sango's pup,” Inuyasha growled softly and one of Sesshoumaru's eyebrows raised slightly.
 
Battle growls and the sound of Miroku's shakujou whistling through the air came from behind and Inuyasha forced himself to face forward and deal with his brother first. `Damn! There must be some other demons coming from behind us, but I have to keep focused on Sesshoumaru!' Resolutely he kept his gaze focused on his brother. “There was a problem creating the Living Jewel; there are six of us and we need eight to balance and return to our bodies. Kagome was able to balance us temporarily by creating Houseki here, but we need a male and female youkai to represent courage and wisdom to pull our kon back into our bodies. Kirara says you could represent courage.”
 
Sesshoumaru's eyebrows shot up but then his face became impassive and his lip curled in a sneer. “You dare to ask this Sesshoumaru to assist you in your folly?”
 
Kirara growled softly behind him. “It is not folly, Big Pfffffft. It is necessary for the Pride.” She rubbed her cheek against his back.
 
Inuyasha repressed a grin as his brother tensed his muscles to keep from being pushed forward. `She's getting her scent all over him.' Another rogue demon streaked into the clearing and Sesshoumaru dispatched it with a lazy flick of his whip, never breaking eye contact. He took a deep, irritatable sounding breath and growled, “Cease your actions, jigokuneko, this Sesshoumaru does not wish to bathe before returning to his tono.”
 
“You need a bath. Perhaps I should help you as you helped me earlier?” Kirara purred.
 
Sesshoumaru merely growled irritably and Inuyasha bit the inside of his lip to keep from smirking. `I wonder what the hell happened…he would have killed anyone else by now.'
 
Suddenly the Kai-wolves began growling fiercely as flocks of birds erupted from trees to the west and east of the clearing.
 
“They're surrounding us,” Miroku said intently.
 
Sesshoumaru spoke in his normal calm, indifferent voice. “These demons are insignificant. Why should this Sesshoumaru concern himself with your problems?”
 
`Damn! I have to protect my Pack!' Inuyasha continued to lock gazes with his brother. `What the hell do I say to him?'
 
Jyaki coalesced in the sky above the clearing and the evil wind it created whistled eerily, the only sound in the gathering darkness.
 
“May I speak, Pack Leader?”
 
`What the hell?' In astonishment, Inuyasha broke eye contact with Sesshoumaru and turned his head to Miroku. `He's asking my permission as a Pack member?' As the monk stared back at him seriously he shrugged his shoulders. “Go ahead, if you think it will do any good.”
 
Miroku stepped forward and gave a deep bow to Sesshoumaru. “Oh powerful Inu no Taisho, I ask that you do me the honor of listening to my words.”
 
“Cease your flattery, monk,” Sesshoumaru snarled.
 
Miroku straightened up and planted his shakujou with both hands in the ground directly in front of his feet, creating a pulse of power that made Kirara hiss softly. “I do not flatter you, Inu no Taisho. I, a human with powerful houriki, acknowledge your position as Lord of the Western Lands and request an audience.” He spoke with clipped authority, modulating his voice from the smooth and deferential tones that he had used previously.
 
“This Sesshoumaru will hear you, but do not try my patience.”
 
“I will endeavor to be brief.” Miroku stepped forward, moving the shakujou to the side as he gestured with his cursed hand. “You ask why you should assist us? I have been to Lady Kagome's world and have seen a future without magic, without youkai; a world where human science overwhelms the spirit. Your karmic symbol is the Balsamic Moon; the last phase of the eight phase cycle of lifetimes. You represent a time of adjustment from one cycle to another, a bridge between the past and the future, a shift to the enlightened mind.” As Sesshoumaru continued to stare at him enigmatically he lowered his hand, grasping the shakujou again. “The original intention was to have Lord Inuyasha represent the bridge between youkai and humans in the Living Jewel, but your choice to protect Lady Rin indicates that you are willing to cross the gap as well. You alone know the path of power that will help knit youkai and humanity; will you not join with us to change that future I saw?”
 
“You seek to persuade this Sesshoumaru with human mythos, human words.”
 
Miroku gave a heavy sigh. “I do not know how to communicate to you in your language.”
 
Sesshoumaru turned his gaze back to Inuyasha and growled, “Then cease speaking in your Pack Leader's place.”
 
We are your true Pack, brother of my blood.
 
`Damnit! I told Houseki to shut up!' Inuyasha growled a low warning as he kept his gaze locked with Sesshoumaru's, but Houseki placed a hand on his shoulder and ignored him.
 
“We are the Pack of your heart. The Pack of your heart and mind and purpose.
 
`Well, at least I'm keeping the rest of them quiet in there,' Inuyasha placed a restraining hand on Houseki's chest. Clouds of miasma began to swirl above their heads, but Sesshoumaru's gaze never wavered. `Shit, he's acting like we have all morning here! So…that's how my youkai sees it, huh? I'll put it all on the line…he'll either acknowledge that I'm his brother or not.' Stepping forward, he stated, “You are Inu no Taisho but you have no home Pack to trust, no equals to share your den. I…I am your brother; we are Pack. We are each powerful alone, but stronger together.” He breathed deeply, centering himself in the core of mental unity that Yourei Taisei's lessons had taught him.
 
Houseki gasped, the air vibrated with power, and suddenly Midoriko's barrier wavered and broke. The Time Lord gave a cry of astonishment and stared at Inuyasha. “What have you done?”
 
He ignored her and continued to gaze at Sesshoumaru. Kagome patted the startled Time Lord on the shoulder as she walked over to stand next to him. “It's all right. He Called us through Houseki.”
 
Shippo jumped to Sango's shoulder and the two came to stand next to Miroku. As the group gathered to face Sesshoumaru, Houseki growled, Come Pack Brother, hunt with us when the wild moon calls.
 
Inuyasha kept his gaze locked with Sesshoumaru but held up a cautionary hand to forestall any further comments. Speaking in Inu and echoed by his youkai in Houseki, he barked, “We are family, brother of my blood. Your family. Your Pack.”
 
Sesshoumaru blinked and took a deep breath, but his face remained impassive and aloof.
 
The trees near the edges of the clearing began to rustle with the movements of large, unseen bodies.
 
“I knew it would come to this,” growled Kirara. Her youki swirled as she transformed into her human form. She walked around to face Sesshoumaru and gave a great sigh, standing straight and proud in front of him as flames shot from her alternately fisting and unclenching hands.
 
Sesshoumaru lowered his head to look at her, cocking it to one side and raising one eyebrow.
 
`I cannot believe I am doing this, but he knows my ways now. The things I do for my Pride!' Kirara breathed shallowly, her breaths coming in swift pants as she forced herself to turn her face to one side, baring her neck to him. She swallowed hard and fisted her hands as her entire being protested against the submissive posture. Clearing her throat, she asked softly, “I have learned to accept and love even that which is not Neko. Join with me to save our…Pack.”
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed as she glanced up at him through her lashes, but he made no response other than a soft growl which vibrated through her body. She tried to repress the sudden weakness in her knees and the trembling of her muscles that had nothing to do with fear.
 
“I am submitting to you in your way, Big Dog. What more do you want?”
 
His youki pulsed against hers and she shivered at the sensations it evoked from her body. `I do not know enough about this…what is he asking? Should I truly submit and accept my place in an Inu Pack?' As his growl and youki demanded a response, she swallowed convulsively and stepped forward so that her body was nearly touching his. `I will let him initiate the touch. I will allow another to touch me without…oh, this is hard! I will cede him my powerI am Neko! Butmy Pride…my…Pack.' Baring her neck within easy reach of his fangs, she spoke in a trembling whisper so quiet that only he could hear her next words.
 
“Please. I beg you.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Kaede sighed in frustration as, in a flash of flame, the sutras she placed as a barricade around Kohaku incinerated to ash. `I have not the power to stand against Naraku and the corrupted Jewel.' She slowly straightened from her kneeling position next to Yourei Taisei, groaning as her muscles protested against her movements. `And my body is old and weak.' She struggled to her feet, leaning on her bow for support. `There are times that I wish I had my youth again.' As she rubbed her aching back and stared down at her two charges she smiled wryly to herself. `But I suppose a few aches and pains are worth all the lessons I have learned. Poor Kohaku, forced to learn harsh lessons at such a young age and from two such harsh masters: life and Yourei Taisei. How can I keep him from responding to Naraku's call when he awakens?'
 
She stiffened as a swirl of blue light suddenly flashed into being, surrounding Kohaku's head and interrupting her musings. `What is this magic?'
 
As the light swirled and flowed around the youth's body, Bandit suddenly growled fiercely. She turned and brought her bow up into position, her hand automatically reaching for an arrow with the smooth precision of years of practice.
 
Kanna was walking toward Kohaku, her mirror held in front of her. Her normally impassive face had an odd, rapt expression.
 
“Stop where you are, Kanna,” Kaede warned as she drew her bow.
 
“What is this magic?” the pale child asked, reluctantly pausing and raising her eyes to Kaede's.
 
`Odd how she appears so childlike at times. She is echoing my own thoughts but I do not trust her.' Kaede relaxed slightly as Kanna glanced from her arrow to Bandit, who had circled around to the other side of the child and was snarling fiercely. `Ah, Bandit. He has made sure that she cannot attack all of us at once.' As the child lowered her mirror she answered, “I do not know what the light means, but ye will keep your distance.”
 
The blue light flared as it reached Kohaku's shoulder, leaving a strange pulsing glow over the area where the shard was imbedded. A long, pained groan came from Kohaku as the youth sat up, still wreathed in flickering blue tendrils. “Woah! Where am I this time?” He blinked up at Kaede owlishly. “Hey, I know you! You're—” Suddenly he grabbed his head with both hands and gave a loud groan. “Ow! I feel like someone hit me with a baseball bat!”
 
Kaede knelt next to him, ignoring the pain in her knees as she frowned in concern. “A…baseball bat? Kahoku, are ye dreaming about bat youkai? What is this baseball?”
 
He blinked at her and his forehead creased in a confused frown. “Kohaku? Kohaku…oh yeah, that's my name this time.” He stared at her in consternation for a moment and mumbled, “Wow, why is it so hard to focus? Where are the memories? I need to find which one I am now…ow, my head…wait, here they are…wow, I made it!” He gave her a grin that reminded her of Kagome's smile for an instant. “Yeah, I'm Kohaku.” He shrugged and mumbled quietly to himself, “Wrong side, but at least this time I know who I'm dealing with, and I can find the node if I can just find Kagome.” At Kaede's worried frown, he grinned again and said sheepishly, “Don't mind me, I'm just a little loopy from jumping through the time…uhh, I mean, did someone hit me?”
 
Kaede narrowed her eyes. “Ye are not good at dissembling, child. Ye are in Kohaku's body but ye are not Kohaku.”
 
He grinned again. “Oh, but I am Kohaku…or I was…or…I will be.” He tentatively pressed his finger tips against the swelling on the side of his head and squinted up at her. “It depends on how you look at it. You'd be surprised how confusing it gets.”
 
Kanna stepped forward, staring intently at Kohaku and ignoring the threatening growls from the Kai-wolf. “I do not understand. You are not responding to Naraku's geas. How?” Her normally impassive voice carried a trace of interest.
 
As he opened his mouth to reply, Sesshoumaru's energy ball screamed through the air overhead, effectively silencing any conversation. Kohaku tensed and leaped to his feet as the ball slammed into the forest. “Ane-ue! Sis!”
 
He ran into Kaede's hut and returned almost immediately with Sango's Hiraikotsu, ignoring the gasp of shock from the elderly miko. He grunted as he adjusted the large weapon, balancing it over his shoulder as he prepared to run, but Kaede put out a forestalling hand. “Wait, Kohaku! There is another evil coming!”
 
Jyaki darkened the air around the village and the cries of demons filled the air as odd shapes began appearing in the clouds. Kaede turned to face the south, her houriki flaring as the jyaki intensified.
 
“Mouryoumaru comes.” Kanna's voice had returned to its normal flat intonation as she stared impassively at Kaede.
 
Kaede moved to her bell and began to ring it repeatedly. `The men will come to fight and the rest will remain in their homes. What a morning!' The pealing bell suddenly caused Kohaku to sit down hard, holding his head with both hands as the Hiraikotsu clattered to the ground. “Ooohh…what….” He stiffened as the blue glow intensified in his back. “The shard…shielded? Who else….another…other lives?” He blinked slowly and took several deep breaths as Kaede watched in consternation. “I see.” Squinting up at Kaede, he stated in his normal voice, “I must leave. I know you have to shield the village, but I must go help my sisters.”
 
Kaede shifted uncomfortably. `He spoke of his sisters…does he see Kagome as family as well, or has the oni's blow addled his wits?'
 
“You will take me.” Kanna's flat-voiced statement was not a request as she stared purposefully at Kohaku.
 
Kohaku stood, picked up the Hiraikotsu, and turned to the pallid child. “I need to protect my sisters. Why should I take you with me?”
 
Kaede began preparations for a barrier shield as the men of the village boiled out of their homes and ran toward her hut.
 
“I will help you.”
 
“Why? What do you know about Mouryoumaru that I don't?”
 
Bandit growled quietly and moved behind Kanna as the men of the village ran up, staring worriedly at the gathering jyaki, Yourei Taisei, and Kanna. Kaede explained the situation quietly to them while trying to listen surreptitiously to the exchange between Kohaku and Kanna, but she missed most of the words. The fragments of conversation that she could hear were worrisome.
 
“…know why Mouryoumaru was created….”
 
“…my sisters. I can't trust….”
 
“…vessel created to house Naraku's kon….”
 
“Why? You don't need to know where my power….”
 
“…gave him his soul; I can remove….”
 
Finally, she sat seiza as the men set up a perimeter around the village and her concentration was once again undivided. Kohaku was hesitating, his body poised to run toward the Goshinboku.
 
“Why would ye betray Mouryoumaru, Kanna? Are ye not both Naraku's incarnations?” she asked, focusing with practiced ease on her houriki in preparation to place the barrier.
 
“I betray only Naraku, and his betrayal came first.”
 
Kohaku shifted the Hiraikotsu so that it sat more comfortably on his back and stared off toward the Goshinboku.
 
Suddenly a miasma began boiling toward the village from the south.
 
“Flee, Kohaku!” Kaede cried.
 
As the youth sprinted toward the forest, Kaede took a deep breath and set her barrier. At the edge of her consciousness, she heard Bandit's low growl and realized he was standing within the barrier, pushing at it with his nose to try to follow Kohaku. She fought to hold her concentration and maintain the barrier as she realized that Kanna was not within it.
 
`Gods! Kanna followed Kohaku.'
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Translations:
Concordia discors: Latin; Discordant harmony.
 
Neko:
Pfffffft: Dog
Rrowhhsss Pfffffft: Pride Dog
 
Balsamic Moon: the Balsamic Phase of the moon (Sesshoumaru's forehead symbol) is the last phase of the moon's cycle and represents a time of adjustment from one cycle to another; the bridge between the past and the future. In Japanese mythology the moon is a male aspect and there are strong connections between the moon and fertility. Water which was held by the moon was known to rejuvenate, and although Ms. Takahashi does not belabor the point perhaps his karmic symbol is another reason why Lord Sesshoumaru was given the Tenseiga.
 
Thanks for being my beta, RPW!
 
R&R thanks: if I haven't responded, my apologies. I'm not usually so rude, and I appreciate your comments! Thanks to my F troop for their support in the last three months; don't know what I'd do without you!
 
PM:
Ranuel, Neko-sama (thank the Creator and you're still in my prayers!), Kortir, CainteFan, AlucardAstro, shlibo1
 
MM:
Ranuel, SlightlyPsychoPrincess, localsamurai, lunatickat, inuyashaloverr, InuyashasBiggestFan, RavenShadow, malitiadixie, Snowfall, Caitriona x5, woot!), sakuralovesinuyasha, InusGurl4, AHAYNES
 
FF:
Photographing Poetry, Kortir, aradow, Foenixfyre, kitsune-koinu, Mrs. JediK1, hanyou master, AlucardAstro, Fenikkusuken, shalinilahiri, billysgotagun
 
 
And a great big thank you to all my readers! Over 139K hits at MM: THANK YOU!
iPoe