InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Failed ❯ Part One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Failed

An Inuyasha fanfiction by Kellen

Rating: PG-13, for violence, some graphic images

Summary: On a moonless night, Kirara becomes curious about the transformation Inuyasha goes through. When she follows him into the forest, they both find more trouble than they bargained for. Written from first-person, Kirara's point of view.

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and Kirara, as well as other recognizable characters, are owned by Rumiko Takahashi. I merely play in her wondrous universe.

Author's Notes/Warnings: This is my first attempt at writing a first-person pov, much less a non-human, non-speaking pov. Kirara's intelligence is purely my own interpretation of her character. Please review if you read; I would really appreciate your input into Kirara's character. This is part one of three.

 

I watched him.

I watched him watch the others fall asleep. I watched him stare at the stars. I was curled up, comfortable on my companion's hip. The monk was asleep, meaning I could spend less time guarding my mistress, and more time contemplating the human who was still awake.

He wasn't always human. I glanced upward, taking in the moonless sky. I'd seen him thus before, and it wasn't hard to see the half-demon even when no demon was showing. He had the same look in his now voilet hued eyes. He sat the same way: cross-legged with his Tetsusaiga hugged to his chest.

But, he watched the sky with an alertness that I had rarely seen in him when he was his normal self. It made me wonder if he could actually hear or smell anything or if he was just trying in vain to compensate. I didn't know what exactly a human could or couldn't do; I'd seen him do some things I would have sworn no human could do while he was vulnerable like this. I'd watched my mistress and her family pull stunts that should have given me a nervous tic. The monk and the girl from the future all showed an ability beyond what I might have given them credit for.

So I wondered: Were they as frail as some demons seem to think? Or was there a strength I didn't know about? And where did that strength come from?

My ears twitched as they were wont to do when I am deep in thought. He looked down at me and our eyes locked for a few seconds. Red and violet. Demon and human. Usually he stood somewhere in between; a demon with a human's heart or some such poetic cliche. I wondered why he hated it so much; yes, he was weaker physically, but from what I'd seen, a human's strength isn't in the physical realm.

Then again, I had nothing to compare it to. The best I could come up with was somehow being stuck in my smaller form, but even then, I still had little fangs and claws and I was still quick. I could still hear and smell things I knew the humans in the group couldn't find.

Truth be told, the half-demon, at his human form, was probably the most vulnerable of us. He was still strong, yes, but the monk had his wind tunnel, my mistress had her training and the girl had her sight. Even the little fox-child wielded his illusions and his fire. The half-demon had learned to fight based on his demon strengths and had grown used to wielding a powerful sword that was nothing but a rusted blade for him on this night.

Maybe that's why he hated being human. He just didn't know how to be human.

When he stood up and disappeared into the dark woods, I stood up. With a quick look around -- I didn't want to leave the rest unprotected -- I followed him, making a silent promise to my mistress that I'd stay close.

He stopped at the foot of a large tree and glared balefully into its branches and I knew immediately what he was thinking. He'd rather be in the tree, but either didn't have the strength or the energy to get up into the branches. I'd watched him once miscalculate and undergo his transformation while high in a tree one night. He'd refused to let me help. I was inclined to just grap him and take him down, but my mistress insisted I let him do this on his own.

It resulted in him spending half the night unconscious after he slipped and fell.

Even so, it seemed he learned from it. He settled himself at the base of the tree, hugging his sword to his chest and staring intently into the sky. I sat in front of him, just out of his immediate reach and watched.

I'll admit it; I was curious. And I was more than willing to listen in on any conversations he might have had with himself. I wanted to know more about this human thing.

When he just sat and stared, I grew impatient. I mewled, getting his attention.

"I know you're there," he said, not looking down.

I wrinkled my nose. He's supposed to be talking to himself, and, in the process, enlightening me.

Well, he wasn't cooperative in the best of times. I shouldn't have expected so much.

"What'd you follow me out here for?"

I pricked my ears; he was talking. Wonderful. I waited. And waited. And kept waiting. It seemed that was all he had to say. His head came down, and once again, our gazes met. He regarded me for a few moments before saying something that I was totally unprepared for.

"I underestimate you, don't I? We all do."

I snorted. Of course they did. That's what being a demon cat whose smaller form is overly cute will do to you. It didn't help that I just can't talk like they do. They seem to think that if you can't communicate via their words then you can't communicate at all. Fortunately, my mistress knows better. She knows I understand, and she knows I follow her and serve her of my own choice.

Maybe it's love. I don't know. I'm beginning to feel the same protectiveness toward the rest of the group as I do to my mistress (though I'm partial to her). I can't decide if I do that because I like them as much as my mistress or because she identifies with them. Whatever the reason, I followed the half-demon tonight.

He kept talking. Finally, and I'd almost missed it because I was too busy thinking.

"We treat you like a pack horse sometimes." He regarded me with an intelligent gaze. I was surprised; however insulting it may sound, thinking was not his strong suit. He'd much rather jump into action and take things as they come. "You're more than that."

I missed the rest of what he said. A rustling in the not too far distance caught my attention. I must have sat up straight, because he trailed off, watching me, using my reaction to gauge what he can't see or hear. So I turned, trying to show him the direction it came from. Then, to my left, a screech echoed in the night.

That, I know he heard. He jumped to his feet, searching for what made the noise. I snorted softly and transformed in a ring of flame. That alarmed him; he knew that meant trouble.

Trouble we did have: at least two demons, one to the right, one to the left and both coming our direction. And neither one was happy.

And I had been too preoccupied with trying to figure him out to realize it sooner. I needed to be his sensitive demon side tonight. Messed that up. The demon to the left screeched again and I realized it was a bird. That meant I couldn't take to the sky without the risk of being seen, and I wasn't about to risk taking a human into battle with two very unhappy demons. I could smell the anger.

 

TBC…

Yes, I do realize it is short. I am of the opinion that cliffhangers, while a wonderful writing device, should not be in the middle of an action sequence, and chapter two is all action, so I cut off chapter one at a point where nothing has really happened, but suspense has built. Let me know if you think I've done anything wrong. :o)

Thanks ever so!