InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytales Do Come True ❯ Battle to the Death ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yes! I have finally managed to finish chapter 5! My only excuse for my lateness is that my computer was down with a virus for about two weeks and two weeks before that it….well…..it died and I almost lost everything. Thankfully, my older brother managed to find all our old files.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
 
Inuyasha finally managed to catch up with Kagome, Sango and Miroku as they left the school building. He had not been able to see them the entire day as he had missed walking Kagome to school that morning and had detention during lunch.
 
“You didn't walk me to school this morning,” Kagome observed.
 
“Yeah, well, you're always complaining about me being way too over-protective,” he muttered. Actually, he had overslept, but no one really needed to know that.
 
“I bet he overslept,” teased Miroku, who had taken it upon himself to “protect” Kagome in Inuyasha's absence. Unfortunately for him, Sango also came along to protect Kagome from the monk's wandering hand.
 
Inuyasha turned bright red and began muttering cuss words under his breath.
 
“So, Sango, what've you been up to lately?” Kagome asked in a not-so-subtle attempt to change the subject.
 
“Well, my family's been preparing for the annual Sengoku Jidai competition,” Sango said. “We've had to begin early this year because of how many people came last time.”
 
“Your family runs the Sengoku Jidai competition?” Inuyasha asked in amazement. “I competed in that last year. It was amazing.”
 
“I thought I'd seen you before somewhere!” Miroku said. “Tell me, do you wear a red haori and fight with a rusty katana?”
 
“Yeah,” Inuyasha said. “You wouldn't happen to fight while wearing monk's robes and using a golden staff would you?” The two looked at each other, and then began laughing.
 
Flashbackto a year ago
 
“And our next contestants are Miroku Akishimoto and a fighter known to us only as Inu!” Kagome said from the judges' booth. From opposite ends of the dirt arena entered to tall, lean young teenage men. One was wearing a purple monk's robe and carrying a golden staff. The other, dressed in a red haori and wearing a red hood which concealed all but his eyes, carried only a sheathed katana.
 
The two teens walked to the center of the arena and bowed to each other. Inu drew his katana, revealing the rusty blade. Miroku smiled confidently, believing that this competitor would be easily defeated. The crowd murmured, and immediately began to exchange bets on who would come out the victor.
 
“Begin!” Kagome shouted about the crowd. Her job was to referee the fight. Next to her, the three judges, prominent members of the community, were watching the pair carefully. In this competition, it was not the fighter who defeated the other who won; it was the one who fought the most skillfully that took home the trophy.
 
The pair began to fight, and it was not immediately obvious who the winner would be. Miroku used a combination of his sacred sutras and his staff to defend himself against Inu's blazing katana. Then, the fight switched around as Miroku managed to sneak under Inu's attack and get in one of his own. Then, Inu was forced to the defensive as Miroku's staff wove a gold net around him.
 
The two were well matched in speed and strength. But finally, nearly an hour after the fight began, Miroku began to tire. His movements became slower and slower until finally, his staff was knocked out of his hands. He stood there silently as Inu's sword came up to his neck. “It's over,” the red-clothed teen said as the crowd erupted into thunderous applause.
 
It was several minutes before the judges managed to quiet down the crowd so that they could announce their verdict.
 
“It is our decision,” proclaimed Sesshomaru Takahashi, the head judge. “That this battle is a draw between Miroku Akishimoto and Inu. Of all the fighters we have seen so far, they have both fought most skillfully. Both of them shall continue onto the next round.” The crowd cheered at the obviously fair ruling.
 
But later, when Inu's next fight was supposed to begin at a time near sunset, he was no where to be found.
 
End Flashback
 
“That was the most amazing fight I'd ever seen,” Kagome said. “Inuyasha, I wish you hadn't left. You could have won the whole thing!”
 
“I left because……well, let's just say I had some problems of my own,” Inuyasha said. That night was the new moon, and the hanyou had no intentions of staying past nightfall.
 
“Why didn't you recognize me before now?” Miroku asked. “I thought you'd have recognized my scent.”
 
Inuyasha glared. “I did too recognize it!”
 
“Yeah, about three seconds ago!” Sango joked.
 
Inuyasha glowered at her, but then his eyes widened and he took a careful sniff of the surrounding air.
 
“Wha-?” Kagome began, but he immediately silenced her.
 
“He's near-by,” the hanyou stated crossly.
 
“Who?” Miroku asked.
 
“Hiten.”
 
A tall demon with a long pony-tail dropped from a close-by tree, wearing a smug expression. Kagome's friends immediately formed a defensive shield between her and the demon.
 
“Back for more, Hiten?” Inuyasha growled, pulling off his back-pack in preparation for the fight.
 
“You know him?” Kagome asked.
 
“Yeah. He's the reason I was expelled from my old school. He decided to pick a fight with me and ended up walking away with his tail between his legs.”
 
“I'll get you back for that someday, hanyou,” Hiten spat. “But for now, all I want is the Shikon no Tama.”
 
While Inuyasha was distracting Hiten, Sango managed to pull out a small version of her signature bone boomerang, Hiraikotsu. Now armed, she challenged the demon. “You'll have to go though us to do it,” she stated.
 
“Worthless humans,” Hiten said dismissively.
 
A vein on Sango's head was very close to popping. She threw her boomerang at Hiten, but it flew right by him.
 
“Ha, you missed,” he laughed.
 
“Not so,” Sango said with a smile. The boomerang came from behind and whacked Hiten right on the head, who then fell down with an anime-style bump on his head.
 
“Why you little…” he growled, and stood up, prepared to charge at Sango.
 
“Inuyasha, take Kagome and RUN!” Miroku said as he grabbed a stick and ran ahead to defend Sango.
 
Inuyasha nodded and grabbed Kagome's wrist and pulled her away. She began running with him, but was too slow for his tastes. “Get on my back,” he ordered. Kagome looked surprised, but climbed on with little visible hesitation.
 
The hanyou immediately took off, darting along the side walk until he came to the shrine steps. He cleared those in two jumps, and carried Kagome towards her front door.
 
“Stay here,” he instructed.
 
“No. I'm not staying here while my friends risk their lives for my sake.”
 
“Kagome, if you go back there, you'll only make it worse.”
 
“Inuyasha, I won't sit back and let my friends be killed! Let me get my bow; I can fight with it!”
 
“Kagome, please, I can't lose you the way I lost Kikyo. Do you realize what that would do to me?”
 
“And can you imagine what it would do to me if I lost my best friends while they were trying to protect me?”
 
“This argument is getting us no where.”
 
“Exactly, so just give in.”
 
Inuyasha sighed. He knew when he was beat. “Fine. Get your bow and we'll go back.”
 
Kagome's eyes immediately brightened, and she leaned forward to kiss him on the cheek. “Thank you Inuyasha.” She ran up to the shed where her bow was kept. She came back, carrying both it and her quiver.
 
“On my back,” Inuyasha said. She climbed on, and he took off once more.
 
“They've moved,” he said as they arrived at the spot where Hiten had first come upon them. He quickly picked up his discarded pack-pack.
 
“Can you find them again?” Kagome asked.
 
“Feh, of course I can, wench!” Inuyasha stood for a moment using his ears to try and hear them. “I think I've found them. Let's go!”
 
The trio was battling in a small, deserted park. Sango and Miroku were obviously beginning to tire, their human strength nearly gone. Meanwhile, Hiten looked as though he had just come back from a Sunday stroll and was merely having some light exercise.
 
“Useless humans,” he taunted once more, right before an arrow encased in a blazing pink light flew right by his head. He turned in surprise.
 
“No one insults my friends and gets away with it!” Kagome hollered as she nocked another arrow to the string.
 
“Stay back, Kagome,” Inuyasha warned as he ran forward, making sure to drop his back-pack first.
 
“I don't have to be close to shoot him,” Kagome stated. “But you make sure that you're careful!”
 
“I beat him once and I can do it again!” Inuyasha roared as he hurtled towards Hiten, and the feral fight began.
 
Miroku and Sango managed to limp their way over to Kagome and form a defensive barrier in front of her. “You should have stayed behind,” Miroku said.
 
“Could I have stayed behind knowing that my friends were about to die for me?” Kagome asked. “You would have died if Inuyasha and I hadn't come.”
 
“And for that we are grateful,” Sango said. “But you still shouldn't have risked it.”
 
“Why should I worry?” Kagome asked. “Inuyasha's here.”
 
And indeed, it looked as if Inuyasha was about to win, when Hiten, in his desperation, turned away from the battle.
 
“Chicken?” Inuyasha mocked as Hiten seemed to flee. But instead of running away, the full demon charged right for Kagome.
 
“NO!!!!” the hanyou screamed. His eyes began to turn a bloody crimson color, and purple stripes appeared on his cheeks. His claws grew even longer and sharper then before.
 
As Hiten charged through Miroku and Sango in order to get to the miko, he was stopped by a full demon Inuyasha, for that is what had happened to the hanyou. The demon blood mixed with human blood had taken over when it saw that Kagome was in danger of loosing her life.
 
As Inuyasha and Hiten fought, Miroku and Sango attempted to convince Kagome to go to a safer place.
 
“We don't know what Inuyasha will do when he kills Hiten,” Sango said. “Please, for your own safety, go home.”
“And what will you two do?” Kagome asked.
 
“We will try to help him turn back to a hanyou,” Miroku said.
 
“But you have no way of reaching him. I do.”
 
“We will do what needs to be done,” Sango said. “If we have to, we will knock him unconscious.”
 
“But you'll hurt him. I can bring him back, I know I can,” Kagome pleaded. “Besides, in your condition, the two of you could barely kill an ant.”
“She's right,” Miroku said. Sango glared at him.
 
“Aren't you supposed to be on my side?” she asked.
 
Miroku shrugged. “I'm on the side of logic.”
 
Sango snorted. “Please, Kago………….Kagome?” While the monk and the teenage girl were arguing, Kagome had run towards the fighting duo and nocked an arrow to her bow. She quickly took aim and fired.
 
The arrow blazed with a holy pink light. It flew speedily and true, and struck Hiten right in the back and purified him instantly, his body shattering in the pink light. However, Inuyasha did not turn back into his fluffy, lovable self but began to sniff the air.
 
There was something there, something familiar. He followed it with his nose, and found it coming from the girl (Kagome?) armed with a bow. He stared at her for a minute, noticing her scared expression and watching as her friends tried to persuade her to move.
 
Mine, the demon inside Inuyasha said ferociously and awoke something inside him that he never knew was there. Suddenly, the hanyou became overwhelmed with sensations, memories. He was forced down to his knees as he was engulfed by the strange memories………
 
Danger. There was danger. No, not to me, but to my mate (My mate? I don't have a mate). I wanted to protect her…no, I had to protect her. I flew as fast as my feet would take me, only to watch her be cut down before I could save her…
 
Comfort. We had comfort as we stayed together during the long days. There was nothing better then basking in the sun during the summer, cuddling by the fire in the hut (I don't live in a hut.), or playing with the young ones of the village…
 
Love. She loved me. The expression on her face as she kissed (Kissed? I've never been kissed…..) me was precious to me. How could one like her love one such as me…
 
Disdain. I watched as she walked away from me, her disdain radiating from her in waves so palpable even normal humans could feel it. She considered me, an all-powerful inu-demon (But I'm not full demon. I'm a hanyou, a half-demon. ) beneath her…
 
Hate. She hated my kind. Why? I had done nothing to deserve her hate, only be what I am. I knew what I would do, for I could not live without her. She and I were destined. Why was it only now that she rejected me? Our souls had been intertwined for centuries. Why? Why? Why………
 
He stayed there, on his knees, engulfed by the memories and only pieces of the present getting through to him.
 
“Sango, look at him! We can't leave him like that!”
 
“Inuyasha, are you ok? Inuyasha? Wake up!”
 
“Kagome, we need to find someone who can help him. We need a doctor, or a priest.”
 
“Lady Kagome, you must be calm. Only then can you call him back.”
 
“Ka.....go…..me……”Inuyasha mumble through his haze. “Ka…..go…..me….”
 
“See? See? He's calling for me.”
 
There was a sigh, and feet suddenly came running towards Inuyasha. Hands were gently laid upon his face, tugging it upwards. “Inuyasha?” she said gently.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome said gently. “Inuyasha, it's time to wake up.”
 
Wake…..up……?
 
“Inuyasha, it's time to come back. Inuyasha…..”
 
“Inuyasha, please, don't stay like this,” Kagome begged.
 
His demon blood faded a tiny bit at her urging, but then pushed forward again and emptied his mind of everything but the simple, undeniable fact that Kagome was his. He looked up, and something in his red eyes warned Kagome of what was going to happen. She tried to stand, but Inuyasha forced her back down, then pulled her forward and put his lips on hers in a chaste kiss.
 
Kagome went limp.
 
Suddenly, out of nowhere, a boomerang followed by a trio of sacred sutras came hurtling towards the pair. Inuyasha was forced to pull away from Kagome in order to defend himself.
 
“Kagome, run!” shouted Miroku as he pulled out a few more sutras. However, she stayed limp in the same position she had been.
 
“Kirara! Come!” Sango shouted, summoning her cat demon companion. “It'll be a minute before she gets here! We have to keep him away from Kagome until then!”
 
“No!” Kagome shouted, stirring from her lethargy. “You mustn't hurt him!”
“Well, unless there's anything you can do to stop him right now,” Sango said. “We're going to have to!”
 
Wait, Kagome thought. There is something I can do. But what word to use?
 
Inuyasha was flying towards Sango, about to cut her in pieces. On impulse, Kagome cried, “Sit, boy!”
 
The beads around Inuyasha's neck glowed, and they pulled him down mid-leap. He was slammed into the ground. “What was that for, wench?” he yelled as he pulled himself back up.
 
“Thank goodness, you're alright!” Kagome said as she ran forward and hugged him.
 
“Feh, wench, what did you think was wrong with me?” he asked in his gently rough voice as he returned her embrace. “And where's Hiten? Did he run away like the coward he is?”
 
Kagome's face turned white. “You mean, you don't remember?” she asked.
 
 
Miroku and Sango watched from a distance. After Kagome had “sat” Inuyasha they had stayed back so the two could have some privacy.
 
“It's love, all right,” Miroku said as Kagome and Inuyasha hugged.
 
“Give them time,” Sango advised. “They've only known each other for a few days. They need a chance to get to know each other before they get seriously involved.”
 
“In that case, perhaps you and I should find something to do. Miss Sango, would you consider bearing my…..” The monk never got to finish his sentence as he was interrupted by Sango's fist.
 
“In your wildest dreams,” she said.
 
“Well then, I'll just have to go to sleep early….” SMACKSMACKSMACK
 
“Won't you ever give up?” Sango asked him as he rubbed his hand-print covered face.
 
Kagome walked up to the two, her face still white. “What happened?” Sango asked. “How did you subdue him?”
 
The miko hesitated. Should she tell them about the necklace? “It's an ancient miko spell,” she said, choosing to wait until another time.
 
“Where is he now?” Miroku asked.
 
“I'm not sure. He didn't seem to remember anything that happened. When I explained it to him, he ran off.”
 
“He's hoping he doesn't do anything rash,” Sango said. “Even knowing as little as I do about him, I wouldn't put it past him.”
 
They were all quiet for a moment.
 
“He left something behind,” Miroku said, pointing to a bright red back-pack lying near-by.
 
 
There we go! We're done. Thanks for this chapter go out to Jessie Angel, my beta. She managed to beta this and get it back to me in less then a day! She's also been a wonderful help with developing the plot line, and a lot of the ideas from here on out came from her. I couldn't produce this story without her. I'd also like to thank Kitsune Lizzie from fanfiction.net for reviewing every chapter written so far as well as Kimaya Aya from mediminer.org for liking this story so much.
 
I think that's about all so as always, please review!