InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Faithless Love ❯ Indulgence ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Faithless Love
By: Memories Void
 
Disclaimer: The characters from Inuyasha were created by Rumiko Takahashi and I lay no claim to them.
 
Author's note: Here's your update… It hasn't been that long since the last one, right? At least it was not as long as the wait between chapters three and four. So, I am making an effort to not be quite as lazy. Along with this chapter I've changed the summary since it seemed to confuse some people. Let me know if it makes more sense now. Any questions left in reviews will be answered at the end of this chapter.
 
Chapter 5: Indulgence
 
-----
 
There was sound in the darkness, pulsing through her head, chanting, “Kagome, Kagome, Kagome.”
 
Such a deep, calm voice could only belong to a certain being.
 
“Kami-sama?” the young woman asked with her eyes still tightly shut. Then suddenly she could feel the ground beneath her back and hands on her shoulders, there was even the sound of a few snickers. Slowly, Kagome opened her eyes to see the face of Sesshoumaru. So, it wasn't one of the gods speaking to her, just her husband. Then again, his presence was more welcomed then that of some divinity. His presence meant she was alive.
 
“Oh, Sesshoumaru!” she threw herself in his arms, ignoring the nervousness of the crowd of youkai around her-the very same youkai who had been laughing at her a moment ago.
 
“Fifteen is much too young an age to die,” she whispered. The demon was very still in her embrace. Looking over his shoulder, she could finally feel the tension that the rest of them felt. It was probably quite unseemly for her to embrace him out in the open like this. With one final squeeze to his waist, she let go and sat back.
 
“What happened? Where's Kyuusai?” There was a call of `here!' from the crowd and the young demon emerged before her.
 
The Kyuusai's hair was tousled, and his eyes looked weary, the slump of his shoulders confirming the fact that he needed rest. Nevertheless, he kneeled at her side, opposite of his silver-haired lord.
 
“Lady Kagome, I owe you my life,” he said, much too solemnly for someone his age, “if it weren't for you I-,”
 
“But, I'm the one who put you in danger to begin with. If I hadn't of gone outside of the gates…” Kagome trailed off.
 
“No,” a voice, soft and musical parted from the crowd; a demoness came to stand behind Kyuusai. “The guard who slew the attacking demon said you carried my son away from the danger and when you fell you shielded him. Lady Kagome, we already serve under Lord Sesshoumaru, but should you ever need anything please come to us. I owe you a great debt for the life of my son.”
 
It would be a dishonorable act to deny them the debt. In there eyes she had performed a great deed and it would only belittle them to turn away their offer of service should she ever need it. So, instead she nodded her head, taking on the solemn expression worn by everyone else around her. In truth, all she had done was follow her instinct to protect a child and herself, but it would seem that it had at least won her some measure of respect from the castle's demons.
 
“Well,” Kagome said, standing, “Kyuusai my first request is that you get some rest. You look really tired.”
 
The boy grinned, showing a few of his fangs and she smiled at him. Later, she would continue their previous conversation about him marrying a human. But for now… She turned her blue eyes towards Sesshoumaru, who had watched the entire exchange quietly.
 
“I would like to meet the guard who saved me,” she said loudly, ensuring that everyone would hear. There was a flash of guilt that she was using this experience as a means to get the respect of the demons, but if she were to ever find true peace in this place-her home- then the occasional political trick had to be put into play.
 
Sesshoumaru nearly smirked, knowing what she was thinking. For one who had never dealt in politics she was proficient enough in the subject. He was also surprised and proud at how quickly she had picked up on the fact that she could use this ordeal to her advantage.
 
Knowing her pure heart, he also knew that she would feel badly about it. Even if she had not been trying to obtain the respect of h is household, he knew she would still have handled things the same way, being kind to the child, and thanking the guard personally. It was just in her nature to be kind and polite.
 
Turning to the captain of his guards, he asked, “Where is the wolf?”
 
“My Lord,” the youkai bowed at the waist, “I believe he went back to his quarters, as he sustained a slight injury.”
 
Before Sesshoumaru could reply, Kagome spoke.
 
“I'm sorry to trouble you my Lord, but could you please escort me to the barracks? I'm afraid I do not know the way,” she left it unsaid that it would be quite scandalous for her to go traipsing about in other males' rooms alone.
 
He made no verbal reply, but inclined his head slightly before walking towards the guards' quarters. Behind him, Kagome followed silently, trying to fix her rumpled kimono into some semblance of elegance.
 
-----
 
It was very difficult to bandage one's own right arm, the wolf demon thought darkly as he glared at the injured appendage. He growled slightly, his blue eyes narrowing as though he were going to attack. Behind him, his tail began to twitch. However, before he could further damage himself, there was a knock on his door.
 
Groaning in irritation, he let the cloth around is arm fall to the floor. That was fine by him, it wasn't doing much anyways. He was about ready to pull out his hair in frustration, thankfully the dark mass of it was tied behind him and not directly in his sights.
 
“Come in,” he said gruffly. The shouji screen slid open and he turned to see who had entered. Suddenly, he felt very uncomfortable in his room.
 
There, standing in the open doorway was the Lord of the Western Lands. Behind the great dog demon stood the woman he had saved, his lord's human wife, her eyes distressed as she looked down. This time he kept his groan in check.
 
“Lord Sesshoumaru,” he greeted, bowing his head.
 
The silver haired demon said nothing and his face gave nothing away. After a moment of studying the wolf, he stepped aside and ushered the young woman forward. She entered the room without hesitation, kneeling in front of the blue-eyed demon.
 
“Here, let me help you wrap that,” she said, picking up the cloth that he had let fall to the floor.
 
`Well,' the demon thought, glancing at his lord, `that was certainly unexpected.' Sesshoumaru seemed disinterested and so he figured it was okay to let her help him. The wolf youkai turned to the side, offering her his injured arm. Her hands were cool and her touch soothing as she began to wrap his wound.
 
“What is your name?” she asked. The demon turned to look at her, both of their blue gazes meeting, but hers were the deep blue of the ocean's depths, while his were considerably lighter in shade.
 
“Kouga,” he answered, studying her face as she concentrated on her task. Her face was round, almost child-like, the skin smooth and unblemished. Still, there was beauty in that, an innocent beauty. Her hair fell around her shoulders in a curtain of black silk.
 
“Kouga,” she echoed, while tying the two ends of the cloth together to hold it in place. Before he could pull his arm completely away she grabbed his large calloused hand between the both of her petal-soft ones.
 
“Thank you for saving me and Kyuusai today, Kouga,” There was sincerity glittering in her eyes when he looked down at her. From his peripheral vision he could see the stiff form of lord Sesshoumaru still in the doorway. Gently, he took his hands from hers.
 
“Really, it was nothing-just a low level demon. In a few years that runt I saved will be able to take care of them himself.”
 
Leaning towards him, she shook her head earnestly, “No, you saved me and my friend today and I'm very grateful. Besides you were injured, so surely you are just being modest.”
 
Though she didn't mean it to be as such, it was a slight to his pride. He winced at the implication that echoed in his mind; that he wasn't a good enough warrior to escape unscathed.
 
“Kagome,” Sesshoumaru said from behind her, “that injury is nothing to a demon like him. It's only the poison from your attacker that keeps it from healing immediately.”
 
“Oh,” she said, looking up at Kouga's face. Her cheeks darkened with a blush as she realized she was leaning quite closely to him. Quickly, she pulled back and stood up, taking a few steps back until she could feel the heat of Sesshoumaru's body behind her.
 
“Still, you did save me. It was much more then someone like me could handle and Kyuusai is still young… So, thank you, again Kouga,” she turned and nodded to Sesshoumaru who began to lead her out of the room. But she paused just as she was about to slide the door closed.
 
“I'll be back tomorrow to change the bandage,” she said, smiling at Kouga.
 
The wolf demon just nodded dumbly, watching as she gently slid the screen shut, leaving him alone to his thoughts.
 
Like many of the demons serving under Sesshoumaru, Kouga had been skeptical of the human woman his lord had taken as his own. While he didn't necessarily hate humans, he had no particular fondness for them either. Up until now, he had never directly been in contact with her.
 
Lady Kagome was formally the Lady of the Western Lands. The only female Sesshoumaru had taken the time to formally introduce as such; letting them all know she was not just a woman whom he bedded, but a woman of nobility that he respected. It was a point of great significance that she had come to tend him personally rather than sending a servant. Still, he wasn't sure if he trusted her completely. What the hell was a human woman doing in a place full of demons anyways? There had to be some ulterior motive there. He would just have to wait and see.
 
-----
 
“I love you,” she whispered against his skin before kissing his cheek.
 
“I love you,” the sentiment was repeated. This time she kissed the corner of his lips.
 
“I really, really love you,” and she kissed his throat and then his shoulder.
 
Kagome lay lazily at Sesshoumaru's side, her soft, warm body pressed against him. He moved to sit up, but she was suddenly above him, her breasts pressed against his chest and her hair creating a curtain around their faces, blocking out the morning sunlight.
 
“Don't leave yet,” she pouted, her hands playing with the silver hair scattered around his head while his claws scratched lightly up and down her sides.
 
“There are many things for me to attend to today,” he explained softly, as though they were parent and child and not lovers. He wondered at the gentleness of his voice and actions, the experience of these things new to him.
 
“No,” Kagome said quietly, craning her neck downwards so her forehead was resting against his, “there aren't.”
 
Both their eyes were closed and Sesshoumaru could feel her thick, soft lashes tickling his eyelids. When she spoke, or even breathed, her lips moved sensuously against his. The demon found that the day's work seemed suddenly much less important then it had a moment ago.
 
“Sesshoumaru…”
 
“Hmm?”
 
She kissed him, her lips molding over his and her tongue stroking the flesh. The kiss seemed to fill an eternity, a single hot and tender moment that stretched out for decades and millennia before she pulled away.
 
“I love you and I want you to know that I'm so very happy to be here with you and I'll try not to pester you too much.”
 
The great Lord of the West chuckled. She was nothing if not distracting, her mere existence a constant pestering thought in the back of his mind. A very welcomed, pestering thought, but nevertheless quite annoying at times. Yesterday she had nearly drove him to the brink of madness by seeming so familiar with the wolf demon. Despite the fact that she was laying on top of him, he was too distracted by thoughts of her to notice when she removed herself.
 
It was her yawn that brought him back to the moment. She was stretching her arms up and outwards, the motion causing her breasts to rise in a very pleasing manner.
 
“Last night, I dreamt of you,” she was grinning, almost glowing as the memory of her dream seemed to please her so; he became curious.
 
“And?” he prompted.
 
The young woman closed her eyes and sighed wistfully, “You were holding our child…”
 
She opened one of her eyes, making it look like she was winking at him. He was silent, in his usual brooding way, but his eyes seemed brighter and before he left her room, he leaned down to kiss her gently on the forehead.
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Questions & Answers
 
Q: Isn't Sesshoumaru out of character?
A: Why, yes, yes he is. He is much too nice to Kagome and I realize this fact. The way I try and rationalize it in my mind is like this: Infatuation makes you act weird, but as you grow more accustomed to the person you gradually start acting more normal. Hopefully I'll have him more in character later in the story. If not I'm pleading “It's an AU,” and ducking for cover.
 
Q: Is Kagome a miko?/Will the Shikon jewel have a part in this fic?
A: I was hoping to avoid this one, but I knew someone would ask. The answer to both questions is most likely, yes. I say “most likely,” because I'm not 100% sure, but that is how I planned the story (the chapters have yet to be written and so are subject to change in my mind).
 
Q: Will Kagome see Hojou/ any of her friends?
A: Wouldn't you like to know? =P I'm keeping that one to myself for now.
 
Q: Can you write some more chapters?
A: No, never! There's no way you can make me ever give into your evil desires!
 
Q: Can you write longer chapters?
A: In all seriousness, no. Not because I'm trying to be mean and not even because of my laziness. Simply because the way I'm writing the chapters makes it so the chapter basically deals with one aspect of Kagome's life and when my inspiration for that ends, so does the chapter. I'd like to be able to write long beautifully detailed chapters, but right now I don't have the patience for that, which is precisely why I chose to write this story the way I did… Sorry.
 
Q: Did Kagome go on the Shikon hunt?
A: No, she didn't. This is an alternate universe story (though we're still in the feudal era currently) and Kagome doesn't know about the Shikon, so the jewel was never shattered.
 
Q: Why does your summary suck? (Actually, you guys said something like “I don't understand the summary, will the story change later?”)
A: When writing the original summary I came out with something very long that wouldn't fit so I shortened it. But like I said before the chapter I've changed it so let me know if it makes more sense to you now.