InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Family Instincts ❯ Family Instincts - Magnified Fears ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Family Instincts - Magnified Fears
By Majicman55
 
Okay, okay. I do not own any part of InuYasha. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
“How long are you going to leave her like that?”
 
“As long as it takes,” replied Bengoshi as he looked away from Seijika to the girl who sat on the edge of her bed. Nyoko's eyes darted wildly as the slight doubt she had admitted to was magnified over and over again, manifesting itself in the frightening scene before her.
 
Before her, instead of the room, she saw a vast and featureless plain under a storm-cloud sky. Terrible demons, deep in a blood-rage, charged her while raising their katanas in their lust to destroy her and the baby she carried.
 
There was InuYasha with a huge sword, his mate Kagome with a bow and arrow. Nyoko didn't know why the miko's arrow glowed, but she sensed immense power and it frightened her. A cold and merciless Sesshomaru with green-glowing talons, dripping poison, reached out for her; while his mate Kagura (who seemed to control the wind, itself) flew behind him…on a giant feather? Midoriko and Aoimaru brought up the rear, glowing respectively green and blue. There was great power there, too.
 
But worst thing of all was the hatred on the face of Akamaru as he raced ahead of them all, glowing an angry red, intent on delivering the fatal blow.
 
A barrier appeared just as he was about to strike her down. Nyoko looked around to find her two uncles and her father protecting her.
 
“You shall not touch this child!” shouted Bengoshi. Nyoko's eyes opened in wonder as she saw her uncle for the miraculous creature he was. He wore armor that had the odd quality of being trimmed with baboon fur. His staff was topped by a medallion that held the image of a spider and it was clear that he was the one projecting the barrier. Nyoko cowered as her pursuers' katanas repeatedly struck the barrier only to bounce off accompanied by brightly-colored flashes and small explosions.
 
Finally Nyoko drew the courage to look up at her snarling mate.
 
“Temptress! Seductress!” screamed an Akamaru she almost didn't recognize. “You will die for what you did to me…and I shall take great delight in carving that child from your belly!”
 
Nyoko whimpered.
 
“Enough!” shouted Seijika as he leapt forward, outside the shield, and struck at Akamaru with his own katana. “She is our blood and the child she carries will be protected!” Akamaru blocked the blow and Seijika withdrew hurriedly within the barrier.
 
Open-mouthed, Nyoko regarded her other uncle. She had always thought of him as a bit of a weasel, but now he defended her heroically…even if he did retreat within the barrier rather quickly.
 
There was a rumble in the ground below them, as if the Earth itself objected to the proceedings.
 
Sesshomaru stepped up to the barrier. “Enough of this. Come forward, human, and this Sesshomaru will see that your death is quick and painless.”
 
Nyoko watched as a noxious, steaming green liquid flowed from Sesshomaru's fingertips onto the barrier and down to the ground. Every living thing the poison touch died immediately.
 
Onaraku pulled Nyoko back into his chest. “Do not fall for his lies.” Onaraku looked down to his terrorized daughter, who was looking up to him for help. “Do not fear them, daughter. Stay with us and we will protect you.” Onaraku's one hand crept down to cup his daughter's belly. “You, and that which you carry, are precious to us.”
 
It was all too much. Nyoko fainted.
 
 
******************
 
 
“You did what?” shouted InuYasha, who was trying very hard not to laugh.
 
“This Sesshomaru merely demonstrated a time-honored method of…hn…relieving certain…hn…tensions that can build up within Inu's when they…hn…don't have any other form of…hn…release,” said the Great Lord of the Western Lands, deadpan.
 
Kagome tugged on InuYasha's sleeve. “What's he talking about?”
 
InuYasha leaned over and whispered into his mate's ear.
 
Kagome gradually blushed redder till her mate finished…then turned to Sesshomaru. “You showed our son how to...” Kagome paused, then turned to her mate. “Honestly, InuYasha. If anyone showed him how to do that, it should have been you.”
 
“Keh! I can't turn into a dog like Fluffy, here.”
 
Kagome noticed that Sesshomaru was growling. Due to her mating InuYasha and years of study, she had a precise understanding of the Inu language. “Just because the kids can turn into dogs was no reason to show Akamaru that.” Kagome switched to Inu language and barked out “stop it.”
 
Sesshomaru shrugged and stopped. “Not being able to do that was just another reason you were inferior, little brother.”
 
“Feh. You've been mad at me since we were kids, I asked what that smell was coming from your room…and you got walked in on!”
 
“That must have been embarrassing,” said Kagura, who up till then had remained silent.
 
“This Sesshomaru never engaged in that activity again.” The Great Lord of the Western Lands drew himself up to his full stature. “It became a matter of honor.”
 
“Honor, huh?” giggled Kagura. “Oh well. At least it explains why you walked around like you had a stick up your ass till I bedded you.”
 
Sesshomaru glowered at his mate.
 
“Oi, I think he's still got the stick, Kags. Maybe you should run before he beats you with it.” Just then InuYasha sniffed, paused, and sniffed again. “Feh. Maybe not, though. Seems like the conversation's got big brother a little turned on.”
 
“It's not me, half-wit. That's coming from your son's room.”
 
Everyone looked at each other for a moment; then got up, crept out of the room and down the hall. Kagome was first to reach Akamaru's room. She quietly tried the handle. Locked. There was a brief flare of her miko energy by the handle, after which she turned the handle and threw open the door.
 
There, on the bed, was Akamaru in dog form…obviously “cleaning” himself. Littered around the bed were copies of the “AKC Gazette,” “Dog Fancy,” “Dog & Kennel” and “Dog World.”
 
<LAPLAPLAPLAPLAP>
 
“EWWWWWW!”
 
Akamaru looked up and, for the briefest of moments, locked eyes with his mother. He whined, rolled over to hide his privates, and hid his eyes with his paws.
 
InuYasha glared at his son for a moment; then started waving his arms about. “Oi! Give the boy some privacy!” After shooing everyone out of the room, InuYasha remained inside and closed the door. “You can transform back, now.”
 
 
******************
 
 
InuYasha tossed some of the magazines aside, sat down on the bed and watched as Akamaru transformed. “Okay, what have you got to say for yourself?”
 
“It's mom's method for finding Nyoko, dad.”
 
“Oi. What about it?”
 
“Stroke my mating mark and wait for her response? Oh, come on, dad, like…you know what happens when you and mom do that,” answered Akamaru.
 
“Yeah.” InuYasha was getting a faraway look in his eyes again.
 
Akamaru snapped his fingers and waved his hand in front of his father's face. “See what I mean? You respond just from thinking about it,” growled Akamaru. “How would you feel if someone had taken mom right after you mated…or right after you mated and you knew she was pregnant?”
 
InuYasha's eyes flashed red, jagged purple stripes began appearing on his face, and the hanyou's fangs began to lengthen, causing Akamaru to flinch. InuYasha spoke in a rough voice, “I guess I'd be pretty mad, son.” InuYasha collected himself and the changes in him began to reverse themselves. “Now, why don't you put some clothes on while I make some tea? We'll talk in the kitchen.
 
“S-Sure, dad. But…wh-what was that?”
 
“Don't worry about it. Hey!” InuYasha picked up one of the magazines and smiled. “Nice Akita.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Akamaru entered the kitchen to find his mother and father, brother and sister, and Sesshomaru and Kagura…plus some new arrivals.
 
“Shippo!”
 
“Brother!”
 
“And you brought Kanna!”
 
“Kagome invited me,” said Kanna. “She said that I might be able to help with my mirror.” Kanna turned to Kagome. “Speaking of which, may I have it back?”
 
Akamaru turned to his mother. “You have the mirror?”
 
Kanna smiled. “She said she needed it to keep an eye on you and some girl.”
 
“Mother!”
 
It was Kagome's turn to flinch.
 
“You…were watching…when Nyoko and I…you were watching?”
 
Kagome blushed as she half hid behind InuYasha. “It was all those years around that damned monk. It was the monk, I tell you, the monk!”
 
“Oi. You don't actually think he's gonna buy that, do you?”
 
“What are you complaining about? You had a fun time out of it!”
 
“Dad!”
 
“Oi. She jumped me. You don't think I'd pass that up, do you?”
 
 
*****************
 
 
After Kagome finally stopped blushing and everyone was situated with their favorite beverages around the (fortunately) large kitchen table, Akamaru was the first to speak.
 
“Maybe mom's right. The initial method we used, at mom's suggestion, worked until recently when Midoriko, Aoimaru and I suddenly stopped getting a response from Nyoko.
 
“And this method was?” asked Kanna.
 
Akamaru blushed a little. “To stroke my mating mark and wait for Nyoko's…response. Since I arranged it so Midoriko and Aoimaru could feel her response, too, we would be able to triangulate her position.”
 
“You arranged it so your brother and sister could feel your mate's response.”
 
“Yes, damn it, he did,” said Midoriko.
 
“This is a problem?”
 
“I don't like feeling attracted to women!”
 
“I see.” Kanna turned to Akamaru. “But you say you can't feel her response anymore.”
 
“It has to be a barrier,” said Kagome. “I was hoping you could help because your mirror worked even through Naraku's barriers.”
 
“This is true, but it is no guarantee I can do this.” Kanna frowned. “There were barriers I could not penetrate.” Kanna turned to Kagome. “Like yours, when you got stronger.”
 
“Can you try?” pleaded Akamaru.
 
“Of course she will,” said Shippo.
 
“I would do anything for the family of InuYasha and Kagome, but…”
 
“But?” repeated Akamaru.
 
“I will need…something…to guide my mirror to her.”
 
“She is mated to Akamaru and has shared blood,” said Kagome. “She's carrying their pup.”
 
Kanna smiled. “That will help. If she is behind a barrier, I will need the strongest impression of her possible.”
 
“Would items of clothing help?” asked Akamaru.
 
“If she's worn them recently and they carry a strong impression.”
 
Akamaru looked a bit sheepish. “I found out where she lives. I don't know what came over me, but I visited the place and I have some of her…panties.”
 
“Like father, like son,” muttered Kagome.
 
“Mom?”
 
“One time, I found out your father was swiping my panties and keeping them in his haori.”
 
“Keh. Guess I needed to have her scent with me all the time.”
 
Kanna grinned. “Bring me the panties.”
 
Akamaru stood up to go back to his room.
 
“While you're at it,” said Kagome, “please get Kanna's mirror from the dresser in our room.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Akamaru returned with the requested items and everyone was seated around the table again. Plainly, all the males were fidgeting.
 
“The impression is…indeed…strong,” said Kanna as she started using the mirror to search for the girl.
 
Kagome nudged InuYasha and whispered, “Could you get me a little more tea?”
 
“I-I think you should get it, Kagome.”
 
“Why?”
 
“I just don't think it would be a good idea for me to stand up.”
 
Kagome glanced down below the table and giggled. “I'll get it myself,” she whispered, “but see me about that after the meeting.” Kagome was still giggling when she glanced up to find Sesshomaru whispering into Kagura's ear. The wind sorceress was grinning and nodding her assent when Sesshomaru saw Kagome watching them.
 
“Was that a…blush?” thought Kagome. “Nahhh, Sesshomaru never blushes.”
 
Kanna looked intensely at her mirror. “I think I'm getting something, but I'm not sure.” She turned to Akamaru. “I wonder if I might trouble you to stroke your mating mark again.”
 
“W-Why?” Akamaru was already pretty worked up.
 
“Even if you cannot perceive her, she may be able to feel you. I cannot be sure this is her until I see a response.”
 
“B-But…”
 
“Do it,” said Kagome. “We all understand, don't we, InuYasha?”
 
“K-Keh. Yes.”
 
Akamaru stared at his father for a moment; then did what his mom asked. He groaned; then noticed all the other males groaned, too.
 
That made it a little easier…sort of.
 
Kanna smiled and exclaimed, “There!” as she stared into her mirror. “It has to be her.”
 
Akamaru leaned forward. “You've found her?”
 
“I have found her, but I do not know where she is…yet.”
 
“Oh, come on!”
 
Kanna frowned. “Be quiet. I have found her aura. Now I am trying to find exactly where it is.”
 
Akamaru hung his head. “Sorry.”
 
Kagome got up and walked behind her son. “Would you like to try to communicate with her?”
 
“I…I can?”
 
“Kanna?” said Kagome.
 
“You're welcome to try…but don't interfere with what I'm doing.”
 
“Of course not,” said Kagome even as she began concentrating on building up her miko powers. After a moment of concentration, she placed one hand on her Kanna's shoulder and one hand on her son's shoulder. “Since we have something to focus on, this might work. Now, keep stroking your mark.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“There's something happening with Nyoko!” shouted Seijika.
 
Bengoshi entered the room quickly. “What is it?”
 
“I'm not sure, but I sense a change. She is still frightened, but there's something else.”
 
Onaraku entered the room. “She is becoming aroused again!”
 
“Impossible,” grumbled Bengoshi. “That sutra should keep the girl trapped in her dream. Nothing should penetrate it.”
 
“Nevertheless…”
“I know! I sense it, too!” admitted Bengoshi.
 
“It is the barrier. You made it one way so she could feel our enemies' approach,” said Onaraku.
 
“But they can't feel her!”
 
“Do you know that for sure?” asked Seijika.
 
 
******************
 
 
Still trapped within her dream, Nyoko watched as Akamaru continued to try to cut through the barrier.
 
But something was different.
 
Since when had he lost his clothes? The other attackers had dropped into the background while Akamaru continued to strike at the barrier with his…wait a second…that wasn't his katana.
 
Her uncles and father stood around her, all in protective stances, but now reminding her for all the world of one of those books where the characters stand up when you open the pages.
 
It was all so confusing.
 
She turned back to Akamaru. Her mate was no longer snarling and threatening to kill her. It seemed that the only thing he was threatening was…
 
Well, she'd like that.
 
She could just about make out what he was saying.
 
“Nyoko! We've………..you! You……help us…….you!”
 
Then everything went black.
 
 
******************
 
 
“What did you do?” asked Onaraku.
 
“She's completely cut off from the outside world,” answered Bengoshi. “Now, help me put up the full, two-way wards.
 
The girl will be more difficult to control now,” said a sneering Seijika.
 
“Not at all,” answered Bengoshi, smoothly. “Love and hate, trust and distrust…they're all two sides of the same coin. Our father knew that and used it to his advantage many times. We will, too.”
 
 
 
 
A/N: They almost found her. Have Bengoshi, Seijika and Onaraku succeeded in cutting her off completely? Is their brainwashing of Nyoko working? Will the men be able to leave the kitchen table without embarrassing themselves? And what of the beast trapped under Mount Fuji? (Maybe I should just get rid of it.) Oh, and whatever happened to Kikyo over the years?
 
Remember, this is a rewrite.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks!