InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feni's Snippets ❯ Shell ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.
 
A/N: This snippet was inspired by Nokomarie the Snake, and based on the latest IY manga out of Japan (Chpt 477), so I guess it might qualify as a spoiler.
 
Thanks to Alterfano for her thoughtful concrit, suggestions and good humour, as well as Forthright for her comments.
 
First posted on Live Journal on October 13, 2006
 
Shell
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Tetsusaiga is… an empty shell?
 
He stares at the blade, his own disbelief reflected back at him. A flash of light; the mirror-demon awaits, holding the sword's soul captive. He shifts his grip on the tattered hilt, a hint of fear snaking through his guts.
 
Am I… an empty shell?
 
He winces, and then a pale face floats before him, a wraith echoing the void inside his chest. His heart clenches, then realization strikes and staggers.
 
Kikyo is… was… an empty shell.
 
The darkness inside threatens to subsume him, leads him to the place where his beast lies waiting, scenting his turmoil.
 
Can I be filled again?
 
The sword pulses softly in his claws. He glances at it, despair weakening his resolve to keep the beast contained, and icy flames lick at the edges of his soul. Quick movement on his periphery snaps his head up.
 
Kagome.
 
Radiating determination, she notches an arrow, then lets the missile fly into the refractive target. He cannot look away from the dark-haired girl, and his heart throbs with a strange, taut feeling.
 
Kagome is filled with courage, strength, wisdom, and…and…
 
The blade thrums again, and his heart overflows, pushing aside corrosive despair. A sibilant whisper murmurs assurances as the razor edge of danger etches the night. Protect her… Colour scorches into his cheeks as reddened vision sharpens; Kagome's grey eyes widen and her fear burns his throat. Seized by a daring impulse, he winks roguishly, fangs briefly flashing at her startled response.
 
He hefts the blade, concentrates, latent power strengthening his limbs. He pours everything he has… everything he is… into the enchanted metal.
 
We were an empty shell, until Kagome's love filled us.
 
Together, we will
 
The Tetsusaiga roars.