InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feni's Snippets ❯ Only Once ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha; Rumiko Takahashi does. He's always returned in (fairly) good condition when I've finished tormenting him!
 
A/N: Written for LiveJournal's `FirstTweak' community and its challenge prompt, `New Moon'.
 
Warnings: Coarse language; Inuyasha hates the new moon.
 
First posted on LJ September 10, 2009.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
I fucking hate new moons because they show up once every single fucking month.
 
I might as well be deaf, dumb and blind, because I'm helpless as a mewling pup. Can't hear anything, can barely see… no claws, no fangs, and the final insult? No Tetsusaiga on a night when trouble always seems to find us.
 
The houshi's dozing against the far wall; he found this rundown temple and helped the runt start the fire. Good thing, too, because it's fucking pouring outside; maybe the lousy weather will discourage Naraku's minions from looking for us. Heh. The slayer's not only got Hiraikotsu propped between her butt and the houshi's hand, but Kirara, too.
 
And I fucking hate having to rely on them to protect me.
 
The runt's snoring like a wood saw, sprawled across the end of Kagome's sleeping bag. The little twerp makes such a big fucking deal about being the `full youkai', but he's out cold. He was sitting there earlier, scowling into the fire and rolling one of his acorns between his fingers like a tough guy when he started yawnin' and blinkin' and finally toppled over. What a fucking joke; he's even more useless than me tonight.
 
Kagome's sound asleep, too. She tries so hard to stay awake, but she always loses the battle. Tonight she's really close, her head practically on my shoulder, and I can easily smell the floral shampoo she's been using. When I'm hanyou, I can smell her true scent underneath all the girly shit she insists on smearing herself with. The fake cherry-blossom stink's been giving me a headache for the past week or so, since she came back through the well, but I'm doubly pissed tonight because it reminds me that I can't really smell her.
 
She's right beside me, but I can barely see her, never mind hear her breathing, so if we're attacked, we're fucked sideways.
 
Okay, I'm fucked sideways because I don't have any weapons `cept my fists.
 
That's why I hate new moon nights more now than I ever did before. Being in constant danger myself is one thing, but at least the houshi, the slayer - hell, even the runt - can look after themselves. Kagome, though… keh. Her shooting's getting better, especially when she's mad as hell, but she's still pretty hopeless in a fight.
 
Kinda like me right now. Fuck.
 
But… if I wasn't human right now, I wouldn't be sitting in the rain-drumming dark with Kagome tucked against my side, her silky lashes fluttering as she dreams. She's leaning heavily against me now and she sighs, rubbing her cheek against my fire-rat.
 
It burns my guts that I might not be able to protect her.
 
She sighs again and snuggles closer, then loses her balance and begins a slow slide towards the floor. I manage to catch her, but end up with her half on my lap, her soft hair spilling across my thighs.
 
Smooth fucking move, idiot.
 
Kagome makes a scrunchy face, then she lets go of her bow and curls one hand into my fire-rat as she tries to make herself comfortable on an awkward angle. Glancing around at the rest of our group to make sure they haven't noticed, because Hiraikotsu would really fucking hurt right now if the slayer wakes up and gets the wrong idea, I lay Tetsusaiga aside and try to ease Kagome away from me.
 
She's got my hakama in a death grip.
 
What the hell am I going to do? If she wakes up now, she'll crater me!
 
Waitaminute. New moon. The fucking restraint doesn't activate.
 
Keh.
 
If we're attacked, I'll tell her I grabbed her out of harm's way. If we aren't, there should be enough time for me to make it look like nothing out of the ordinary happened before I start my usual morning bitching that we have to get moving.
 
I awkwardly pull Kagome into my lap; it's hard to avoid her curvy bits, but I manage. Luckily, she lets go of my hakama in the process, and even luckier, doesn't even stir from the handling. I'm not out of imminent danger, though, until I shift her head onto my shoulder and arrange my sleeve over her bare legs. How the silly girl doesn't catch cold is beyond me.
 
She doesn't even twitch. See what I mean? Absolutely defenceless.
 
Okay, I'm kinda taking advantage of the situation, but I'm not tryin' to grope her.
 
Not even close. This moment is too precious.
 
When she nestles trustingly into my chest, I start to breathe easier. Kagome suddenly smiles, a soft tilting of the corners of her mouth and whispers my name as her fingers twine into a lock of my hair. Resting my cheek against the crown of her head, I close my eyes as her warmth soaks into my soul. I can hear and feel her breathing, and I relax.
 
Y'know, even that fake cherry-blossom scent doesn't seem so bad all of a sudden.
 
Too bad new moons come only once a month.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Word Count: 849