InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fleeting ❯ Reminiscent ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
un_love_you prompt:  #25 – “You remind me of someone.”

05. Reminiscent

“Hmph.”  Sesshoumaru glanced up from his books, a look of distinct displeasure marring his otherwise perfect features.  The insistent ring of the warning bell buzzed in his ears, signaling that the library was about to close.

His concentration broken, he sat back in his seat and stared at the piles of books that surrounded him.  He was multitasking, working to revise the progress he’d already made on his thesis, as well as researching ahead for the next chapter.  He’d been in the zone, moving from reference shelf to reference shelf, and, judging by the piles on the table, somewhere along the line it had all gotten just a bit out of hand…

The sounds of his fellow patrons rustling about rose to his ears, and he looked around the room, watching them slowly stretch, gather their belongings, and shuffle away.  For a moment, he wondered if it would truly be so bad to be locked in the library over the holiday break; after all, there were plenty of bathrooms scattered among the five levels, as well as vending machines in the lobby.  Plus he’d have access to precious books that were on the closed shelves.

Hmm…

The bell rang again, and the lights began to flicker and shut down systematically, starting on the top floor and working their way down.  These little signals made the others move a bit faster, shoving their books back on the shelves and heading for the staircases with great haste.  As the lights began to fade in his reading room, Sesshoumaru very reluctantly stood up and began to repack his bag.  He paused as he threw the strap over his head, eyeing the reference books still splayed across the table.

If they’re going to kick me out just because it’s Christmas, they can put their own books back in order, he thought with a sniff, moving towards the exit with steady, languid strides.

He ignored the well-wishes of the library staff as he left, focusing instead on keeping his irritation in check.  Why the entire world had to stop just because someone declared one bitterly cold day more important than all the others, he’d never understand.  He didn’t celebrate Christmas anyway, so he’d just as soon get on with his life.

He paused as he stepped out of the lobby, pulling his soft wool cap down so that it covered the tips of his ears.  It was snowing, albeit lightly, the flurries carried by on a passing breeze and swirling between the buildings.  The crowds around him seemed to hunker down against the gentle assault, scurrying like ants between their vehicles and their destinations, or huddling together under the weather guards at the bus stops.

Sesshoumaru tugged at his coat, swiftly tying the belt at his waist, and set off on foot.

Snow was another thing that brought the city to its knees, so he hadn’t even bothered to attempt driving in it.  The university library was rather far from his apartment, but easily connected via both bus and metro.  Right now, though, he felt like a good walk – maybe it would work off some of this frustration.

Plus, he was not exactly in a hurry to get home.

It was maddening; after wanting nothing but peace and quiet for the last few weeks, he absolutely couldn’t stand being at the apartment, knocking around between its empty walls by himself.  Oh, the first few days had been nice, when he was buried beneath a pile of work, but he’d caught up faster than he’d anticipated.  He’d taken a few days off to rest his brain and regain his sanity, and that’s when it really started to hit him.

It was so quiet, without her.  

He found he could literally go days without speaking.

He’d lie awake at night, listening to the ticking of the clock, and wonder when – if – she’d return.

How was it that he, who had been a conscious loner for the vast majority of his life, could be so keenly aware of another’s absence?  He thought of her as nothing more than a flighty, flirty, attractive but ultimately irresponsible girl, someone who shared his living quarters for the sake of saving money.  

So when had her fleeting presence morphed into companionship?

He sighed, ducking into the doorway of a nearby shop as a gust of wind blasted by.  It must’ve been that damn Halloween party, he considered, still lost in his morose thoughts.  He’d known from the second he’d seen it that she was asking for trouble with that provocative ‘costume,’ and felt that he had no other choice but to accompany her.  It was a damn good thing he had, too, or else she would’ve really regretted her actions.  Hmph, maybe she already does, he thought mirthlessly, the memory of her failed seduction attempt flashing through the back of his mind.

Damn his sense of honor!  That’s what got him into this mess in the first place.  One little show of concern, and suddenly, he couldn’t stop noticing her.  He’d become acutely aware of her movements, so much so that it had started to drive him crazy.  Bringing home that jerk, Kouga, had been the last straw – he’d just completely lost it, and now she was gone.

He sighed again as he continued on, glancing up, noticing his apartment building looming ever closer.  His feet slowed of their own accord, the resistance to going back to that very empty flat rising fast and high within him.  Before he even realized what he was doing, he reached out for the nearest door, pressing forward into a random shop.  He stood there for a moment, dazed, his mind racing to catch up with his actions.  As the haze of this unexpected action cleared, he realized he was standing in the foyer of a little café.

He closed the door abruptly, pulling off his hat as he slinked back to a corner booth.  He put his bag down in the seat next to his shaking hands, utterly shocked at his reaction.  One minute, he was staring at his apartment building in the distance, and the next, he was here.  He’d never reacted so blindly before, but surely…?

He looked up, eyeing his fellow patrons.  There was a sprinkling of people around the cozy little shop, most of them sitting in pairs, their low din of conversation filling the room.  There were a few other stalwarts, like him, sitting alone, which for some reason put him at ease.  

A loner, finding a measure of peace in a crowd.  

I’m going insane, he thought, sharply turning his gaze to the window.

“Can I get you something?” a pert voice asked.  His attention was drawn to the petite waitress who stood by his table, pad and pen in hand.  She smiled brightly at him, poised to take his order.

He gave her a cursory look before looking back out the window.  “Do you serve peppermint tea?” he asked casually after a moment.

The waitress nodded.  “Yes, we do!  Would you like anything else?”

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and gave a minute shake of his head.  “No.”

The girl bustled away, and he opened his eyes, continuing to gaze out the window.  The snow was growing heavier, the wind beginning to blow a bit harder.  Those willing to brave the harsh weather dwindled rapidly, and soon enough he found himself staring down an empty street.

“Here you are.”

He looked down as the tea service was placed in front to him, surprised to see a large, chocolate-frosted cookie on the accompanying plate.  He opened his mouth to protest, but the waitress cut him off at the pass.

“Nobody should just drink tea this time of year,” she said softly.

He gazed at her for a moment, his expression impassive.  She returned the look directly, calmly.  There was something about her…the color of her hair, the twinkle in her eye, the wry smile that graced her lips…

...it was an echo of an emotion, one that simultaneously saddened and soothed him.  “Thank you,” he murmured.

“You’re welcome,” she replied with a soft smile, before turning away.  “Happy holidays, sir.”

~*~

“Whoa!”

Kagome couldn’t help but laugh when she caught the expression on her companion’s face.  “Yes, the lodge is definitely known for its Christmas parties,” she laughed, pushing him forward, into the fray.

“I’ll say,” he murmured, openly gaping as he took in the scene before him.  The ski resort’s main lodge was decked out in true Christmas excess, a sea of red and green and white.  It was also filled from wall to wall with members of some of the country’s most elite families, rubbing elbows and getting down on the dance floor.  Between the music and the low buzz of conversation, it was practically impossible to hear herself think.

“Why don’t you go get us a drink?” she shouted, tugging on his shirt sleeve.  He nodded and set off into the sea of people, maneuvering across the room towards the refreshments.  Kagome quickly found an empty table off to the side and sidled over to it, grateful to have a place to sit down and stow their coats.

She still couldn’t believe it.  Inuyasha was quite literally the last person she’d ever expected to see here (…well, maybe not the last).  And, not only was he here, but he had witnessed her in a very weak moment.  Luckily, he was too surprised to see her to make any mention of her meltdown; besides that, he’d been heartily amused at her reaction to his presence.

He’d made himself comfortable with her that afternoon, and she’d learned quite a bit about him – most of which surprised her, considering the company he’d kept at school.  Apparently he was the son of an upstart, yet increasingly powerful businessman, and had been sent to this meat-market-cum-holiday-fest as the representative for his family, to help get his father’s name out among potential investors.  He seemed relieved and excited to have found a familiar face in the crowd, and they had taken to spending most of their time together.

She hadn’t known him terribly well from university, as he mostly ran with Kouga’s crowd; he’d also been one of the first to shun her after that disastrous Halloween party.  She’d initially been wary of hanging out with him again, but over the course of the last week, he’d completely charmed her.  He explained that he’d actually left school in November, called away by his father on urgent family business, and apologized profusely for the supposed social slight.  He’d been very sincere about the whole misunderstanding, and it didn’t take long for her to begin welcoming his company.  His presence had the added benefit of easing the pressure from her family to “make connections” while they enjoyed themselves out on the slopes; he also managed to engage her enough to keep her mind off her roommate woes.

She sighed as the shadow of Sesshoumaru passed through her mind.  It was going to be so awkward facing him again – but she knew she couldn’t hide forever.  She could only hope that he would be sorry for what he’d said to her, though she knew better than to expect an outright apology.

Still – as lovely a companion as Inuyasha was turning out to be – she wasn’t ready to give up on her attachment to Sesshoumaru.  Maybe this impromptu separation would ultimately prove beneficial, to allow them to figure out what they were to each other, what they wanted from each other, and where they could go from here.

Besides, knowing that Inuyasha was still interested in her bolstered her ego, lessening the sting of her roommate’s rejection.  Knowing she was still attractive to someone made the idea of going home a little less frightening.

“So, what do they do at these big shindigs?”

Kagome snapped out of her reverie as Inuyasha appeared before her again, holding out a drink.  She gave him a brilliant smile.  “It’s just more of the same for a corporate party,” she replied with a shrug.  “You know, dancing, chatting, making contacts, sealing business deals, blah, blah, blah.”  She took a sip of her drink, nodding approvingly at his choice of beverage.  “Oh, and there’s also the midnight kiss under the mistletoe.”

“Oh?” he said, raising an eyebrow as he downed his drink.  “That sounds intriguing.”

“Only if you’re over fifty and hopelessly stodgy,” she snorted.  “They only do it because the resort is closed for the new year.  I guess they figure they can just import all the traditions and hope no one notices!”

He gave her an enigmatic smile and reached for her hand.  “Let’s dance!”

She threw back the rest of her drink before allowing him to lead her onto the dance floor.  They laughed and chatted and danced, spinning around the room.  Kagome completely relaxed her guard, finding herself swept up in his irreverent whirlwind.  Their conversation flowed easily, covering everything from their family backgrounds, to their studies at school, to the latest news and pop culture gossip.

For the first time since Halloween, she genuinely felt like she was enjoying herself.

They danced for most of the night, stopping occasionally to have another drink or speak to a few casual acquaintances.  Kagome noticed that Inuyasha was sticking rather close to her, making it quite clear that he wanted to spend his time exclusively with her.  It was incredibly flattering, especially considering the number of other girls vying for his attention.  It was little wonder why:  he looked so exotic with his dark hair and distinctly European sense of style.  He politely refused to dance with them, however, or hand out his number, managing all the while to gracefully rebuff them.

A few were miffed at being turned away, not used to being cut down so directly; those girls glared daggers at Kagome for stealing him way and keeping him to herself.  She simply brushed them off without a second thought; vain, catty women weren’t worth her time.  Maybe she truly was doing Inuyasha a favor, keeping the husband-hunters at bay…

Such an idea amused her.  He could certainly take care of himself.

As the night wound down, the younger crowd began to leave in search of fresher pleasures.  

“See what I mean, about this being the over fifty crowd?” Kagome murmured to her companion, nodding towards to the dance floor.  Slower songs had been on order for the last hour, drawing out the older, more established couples.  “Are you sure you don’t want to go with the others?”

Inuyasha slipped his hand into hers, giving it a gentle squeeze.  “I’m sure,” he replied softly.  “I’d rather stay here with you.  I’ve enjoyed our time together this week.”

She blushed prettily at his words, thankful that the lights were turned down low.  They took a turn around the room, falling into companionable silence, her palm resting lightly in his.  She took the opportunity to study him as they strolled along.  He truly was quite striking in appearance, with his longer-than-fashionable dark brown hair tied back at the nape, his coffee-colored eyes, and distinctive, angular features.  She knew he wasn’t originally from Japan, that his mother was European and had raised him on the continent; such knowledge only added to his mystique.  He carried himself with an air of confidence all his own, but yet…

…there was something about him that seemed almost familiar.  She couldn’t quite put her finger on it; it was merely an echo in the back of her mind, tugging at some memory, some undefined and fleeting thought.

“So, are you going back to school after the holiday?” he asked as they came to a halt near the back of the lodge.  “Or are you lucky enough to spend the rest of the break up here with your family?”

“I don’t think I’d call it ‘luck,’ to be in my family’s presence,” she replied wryly.

He shook his head.  “Yeah, it is,” he countered, tightening his hold on her hand.  “Sometimes you don’t know just how lucky you are until its too late.”

She eyed him, feeling puzzled, and he shrugged.  “My mother died recently,” he murmured, a slight hitch in his voice.  “It’s why I’m only now coming to these things; she and my dad were separated for a long time, and I didn’t know him very well.”

“I’m sorry,” she whispered sympathetically, but he only shrugged again.

“It’s hard, because this world is so different from what I’m used to, but it’s who I am now,” he sighed.  “He’s all I have, so I try to appreciate it as much as possible.”

She could only stare at him, unable to even fathom what that must’ve felt like.  She didn’t always get along with her mother, but she didn’t know what she’d do without her.

“So you’re going back to the university, huh?” he mused, steering the conversation away from an obviously uncomfortable subject.  

She nodded.  “Yeah, I guess so.  Classes start back in January, so it’ll be nice to have some time to get used to life on campus again.”

“Cool,” he replied with a smile.  “I’m going back, too.”

Before she could respond, the lights went out completely, a spotlight shining brightly on the center of the dance floor, where a gaudily-wrapped branch of mistletoe was hanging from the ceiling.  “It’s time to grant your Christmas kisses,” the DJ intoned suggestively, putting on one last, languid ballad.

Kagome stifled a laugh – and then a gasp, as she felt Inuyasha’s lips brush against hers tentatively, sweetly.  A shock of surprise jolted down her spine, lighting sparks along the way.  When she felt his mouth meet hers again, she responded to the gentle touch, losing herself in the sheer pleasure of being kissed again.  It had been so long…

…and he was so good at it, tipping her head back ever so slightly, slanting his mouth over hers at a deeper, more satisfying angle…

…that it left her positively breathless.

“Merry Christmas, Kagome,” Inuyasha whispered against her lips, his voice heavy and hoarse.  His arms enveloped her in a light embrace.
She simply smiled in return, twining her arms around his neck.

“So tell me,” he murmured, closing his arms around her, “how good are my odds for continuing to see you after we return to school?”

The overhead lights began to flicker back to life as she stared at him, every nerve ending in her body standing on end, heating beneath his touch.  Her head felt woozy, her heart thumping giddily as she recovered her breath, spiraling down from the emotional fire he’d had stirred up inside her.  “I’d say those odds are pretty damn good,” she replied, leaning in for another kiss.