InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ ForgetMeNot ❯ It'll Be Worth It ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Forget-Me-Not

By: Youkai Yume

CF: {walks onstage carrying a giant Kiss's candy and humming happily}

Yume: {staring blankly at some unknown object}. . . . . . . .

CF: {passes Yume, stops abruptly} Yume-sama?

Yume: . . . .

CF: {pounces on Yume's head, and slapping her face a few times} Helloooooo! Is anyone there? {no answer} What's Yume staring at?

Yume: {points at a large, rectangular black box about a skyscraper high. The sun giving it a gleam as it rises over the horizon} That.

CF: O_O Ooooooooh! What is it? A monolith?

Yume: Nope. "Writer's Block."

Disclaimer: Will I ever own Inuyasha? {shakes the 8 ball furiously, until an answer surfaces} No. Hmmmm. {shakes again} Are you sure? {answer surfaces} Yes.

Chapter 22: It'll Be Worth It

Torn and pleading amber eyes watched as the giant silver dog of his brother carried away the girl that he had broken his promise to protect. And amber eyes flickered with guilt and sorrow as he locked onto her sapphire ones, and he knew. Just knew that she had given up on him. He could see the feeling of loss and the knowledge of abandonment so plainly reflected on her sad, beautiful face.

Not only that, but he heard as well. The whisper of her voice still ringing in his ears as her soul became numb.

"Sorry, Inuyasha. But I can't. . .I mean nothing to you. . ."

At those words Inuyasha closed his eyes and turned away from her. Not daring to watch as the silver silhouette of the silver dog and Kagome disappeared into the clouds. It hurt him too, and at the moment, he hoped with all of his heart that Kagome would forgive him. Though, he wouldn't blame her if she didn't.

He knew that his brother wouldn't forgive him for what he had done either. Inuyasha caught the look of deep disappointment and loathing that Sesshomaru sent him. Sure, he had seen it before, but this time. . .this time he knew he meant it. The hanyou clenched his fists in guilt and anger. This was the first time that he had let his brother's golden stare of ice and brutal honesty get to him. It was a mortifying feeling. And the worst part of it was, he inwardly admitted that perhaps, his brother was right.

A slight tug on his sleeve brought him out of his misery, and amber orbs lifted to meet the face of the woman that looked so much like Kagome. `Funny, I think of Kikyo as looking like Kagome now, instead of the other way around. . .' strange, he knew. Or perhaps it was still the guilt that was talking. He placed clawed hands gently on her shoulder.

"Are you alright? Did Naraku hurt you?" He asked her worriedly, looking her over for any injuries. Kikyo stood there, her face unreadable and chocolate brown eyes bore into Inuyasha.

"You chose me. . ." She said emotionlessly. He looked at her through flaring eyes.

"Of course I did! I promised to protect you!" She smiled coldly at him, enough so that even Inuyasha almost shivered.

"You promised her as well," She reminded him. Her smirk faded away however, when she saw his ears flatten against his scull, and his face turned away from hers, eyes shadowed by his bangs. Her grip on his hoari tightened. `He regrets breaking his vow.' "Inuyasha, look at me."

"I DID promise Kagome. But you'll always come first," He answered her in an almost regrettable voice. Turning to face her, he lifted a clawed hand to her face, and as if telling himself to make the best of his decision, crushed her body against his in a tight embrace.

Slowly, he felt her arms snake around his torso as well, holding him close. The wind blew violently all around them, and a light glowed from beneath them, and Inuyasha could feel the fiery pits of hell underneath his very toes. Almost as if stuck in a trance, he found himself unable to move. As the world dimmed around him, Kikyo's lips curved into a smile.

"Come with me Inuyasha. . .come with me into hell. We'll be together for all eternity."

`Kikyo will always come first, please forgive me, Kagome.' He inhaled in her scent of earth and bones, and though the floral scent of Kikyo was still there, the scent of death was dominant. His amber eyes snapped open in surprise when he smelled something else too.

It was vague at first, barely even noticeable, but it became stronger with each passing moment. Yes, it was unmistakable, the scent of blood and sulfur; the scent of Naraku, laced heavily in with her own. Inuyasha growled deeply, yanking Kikyo out of his embrace, and breaking the trance. The hole that was beginning to form into the pathway to hell disappeared, leaving them standing out with soulless orbs surrounding them angrily.

Before Kikyo could say anything, he violently yanked her kimono off of her shoulder.

"No. . ." There it was; the mating mark of Naraku, deeply engraved in Kikyo's pale skin upon the junction of her neck. It was as plain as day, and he stared angrily at it as it mocked him. His amber eyes flashed with confusion, rage, hurt, and betrayal to the undead miko's face. To his shock, all that met his eyes were a cold smile and glittering empty depths.

"Surprised, Inuyasha?" She leered.

"Kikyo. . .WHY?!" He nearly shouted, using every last bit of his strength to keep his voice from cracking. She laughed, causing him to flinch, and stepping away from his grasp, she slipped the kimono back over her shoulder.

"It was necessary. I needed to remind you whom you belonged to," She said icily.

"By going to Naraku?! You. . .you MATED with him!" He said with the uttermost contempt and disgust. "How could you?" Inuyasha breathed, his whole body shaking with rage. His fists clenched and unclenched and if he didn't release his anger soon, something was going to break. Still, he kept his unwavering eyes glued to Kikyo.

"It matters not to me how I obtain what I want, as long as I get it. And Naraku was going to help me get what I want. . .we made a bargain."

"So, you gave yourself to him!" He spat. "You're nothing but a whore!" He seethed with anger. His claws---for the first time ACHED to spill her blood. And yet the same time, he wanted to erase the very words that passed her lips so that he knew in his heart she still belonged to him.

"How. . .why couldn't I sense it before? Why now when it's too late?!" He cried out. He lunged forward, and grabbed Kikyo roughly by the shoulders. "KIKYO! WHY?!" A cold, unfeeling laugh escaped her lips, and he stiffened at the sound.

"You fool. Naraku masked his scent on myself. I---no, WE needed you to choose me." He blinked in confusion.

"What the hell do you mean? You know as well as I do that I would've gone with you no matter what!"

"LIES!" She screeched. "You would've chosen that filthy reincarnation of mine when the time came. I can see it in your eyes, Inuyasha! So, I decided that it was the time to get rid of her so you can fulfill your obligations to me without any thoughts of HER!"

Inuyasha growled under his breath, for the first time seeing the true hatred and bitterness so evidently shining in her brown eyes.

"What does Naraku get out of this?" `Besides your body?' He mentally added. The smirk returned on her face, and she parted her lips to answer.

"The great Naraku. . .is afraid of the filly of a girl---he was afraid of Kagome." Kikyo started slowly, smiling wider when she saw Inuyasha tense at the name of the miko. "Actually, it was more of her spirit and fire that he feared. You see, as long as she held that light of hope in her soul, she would be the biggest threat to him. But. . .what if that light were to go out?" She continued, stepping closer to the hanyou as his eyes glittered with various emotions of guilt.

"Two birds with one stone. . ." Was all she whispered into his ear. And in that one moment, Inuyasha remembered the empty, and lost look that Kagome left him with, and it dawned on him that. . .Naraku had won.

"Kagome. . ." His eyes widened. Suddenly, he felt Kikyo's hands grab his hoari tightly, and as his eyes locked with hers, he saw deep anger, satisfaction, and vengeance flash across her irises all at once.

"FORGET ABOUT HER!" She screamed. "You're coming with ME to HELL!" With that the hellhole flashed once more, and she dragged him violently down with her. Inuyasha struggled against her grip. All the while he could only think of one thing: `Kagome.'

He had to see her again, tell her he was sorry, hold her in his arms and make things right again. And. . .he didn't know what else to do if he could ever see Kagome again. But he knew he would NOT go with Kikyo.

"NO I'M NOT!" Calling every bit of his strength, he pulled away from her, leaving her sitting in the deep hole that her portal created. The light died down once more, and she sent him a heated glare.

"So, you shall break your promise to me as well." She breathed. Inuyasha's eyes flickered with resolve.

"No, I had promised Kikyo that I would protect her and stay by her side," He began, "But she died long ago. . ." Looking at her straight in the eye, his golden orbs hardened. "You're not the Kikyo I fell in love with. I'm never going with you to hell. I'm sorry."

Her hands balled into fists, digging into the soil beneath her. Her frame shook as she slowly stood up, malice shining within her eyes. He stood his ground, staring with torn emotion at her.

When Kikyo finally lifted her head to lock brown to amber, his eyes widened when he saw a lone tear slip from her orbs.

"I see. You would leave me as well, Inuyasha." She said softly, almost sorrowfully. Although the guilt continued to eat him alive, he had made his decision. He would not be wavered by her tears. "Very well then. If I cannot have you in the next world. . ."

Soul stealers whistled past him as he watched them wrap themselves around their mistress's form. Within moments, she was airborne, staring blankly down at him in hatred or in sorrow he wasn't sure.

"Goodbye for now, Inuyasha," Her voice echoed into the night, and as he stared off into the moonlight, Inuyasha let the tears fall from his eyes as well. Emotion overwhelmed him as he fell to his knees, using Tetsusaiga as support.

"Kagome. . ." He cried softly, her name tasting sweet on his lips. He had failed her, he was responsible for her lost hope. He alone was at fault. Not Kikyo. Not Naraku. The tears continued to come, but he didn't bother to wipe them away. Why bother? No one was there to see him. And now, he felt like he had lost everything dear to him as his soul tore inside.

It was too late to ask for forgiveness. And he cursed Kami and himself for not realizing it earlier. But now, he truly could see. It was Kagome that he loved all along. Kagome who loved him for who he was inside---not even Kikyo loved him like that. She had wanted him to change. But Kagome. . .

"What've I done?" He whispered. "KAGOME!" Inuyasha howled in sorrow into the starlit night. His soul would not find peace.

~ ^_^ ~

She felt a lurch of disappointment somewhere in the pit of her stomach when she saw Sesshomaru descend from the clouds. It was then that she was beginning to feel the chill of the night, and snuggled a little closer into his warmth. A soft purring could be heard, causing her to smile.

Shippo had fallen asleep beside her, and as Kagome ruffled his red hair, he muttered something about chocolate in his sleep. Kagome let out a content sigh, and even though she knew it was foolhardy, she secretly hoped it would go on.

Though the twinge of hurt still remained in her chest, she was glad at the moment that her feeling of freedom was still there to comfort her. Absently stroking Sesshomaru's fur, her mind wandered briefly to the half-demon that she left behind.

`Inuyasha. . .' she thought with a familiar ache. In the end. . .he had chosen Kikyo. Kagome knew she shouldn't be surprised, afterall, she had always known that she was second choice. But like the fool she was, she had even dared to hope---to believe that maybe, just maybe, Inuyasha would change his mind. That those memories and experiences they had together would be enough to make him see that the two of them could be so much more.

She sighed. Kagome knew she was partly to blame for her misery. She had let herself fall in love with Inuyasha in the first place. And she knew from the beginning that it wasn't meant to be. On top of that she knew it would hurt. . . `I just never thought it would hurt this much.'

"Inevitable." That was the thought that came into her head. It was going to happen sooner or later. Once again her vision became blurry, and the tears burned her eyes. Closing her sapphire pools tightly, she let them fall one by one onto Sesshomaru's fur.

Sesshomaru stiffened when he felt her tears absorb into his silver mane. He purred comfortingly to her, in hopes that she would be soothed. `She is thinking of HIM again.' He thought bitterly. Truly, his brother deserved to be dragged into hell with that bitch. It was a sin, to cause such a pure and beautiful creature as Kagome pain. It was a sin to make her spill even one drop of tear from her sapphire irises.

"Sessho-kun. . ." He was brought out of his bitter thoughts at the sound of her melodic voice. Letting out a soft growl, he let her know that he was listening. "Where are you taking me, anyway?" She asked, trying to sound cheerful. He only gave her a backward glance, before nodding his head to the scene before them. Sesshomaru felt her move slightly on his back in order to get a better view, and heard her gasp.

"It's beautiful. . ." she admired. They were approaching his castle, and Kagome felt a sense of awe come over her upon seeing it. Sure she had seen a Feudal Japanese castle before, but Sesshomaru's was breathtaking. "So this is where you live. Figures." She nearly scoffed her playfulness. He smiled inwardly, somewhat proud of his home.

He slowly descended into the castle gardens, and Kagome looked on with admiration as the petals of the flowers flew up all around them as he landed. The floral scent tickled at Shippo's nose, causing him to sneeze.

"Uh. . .are we there yet?" He muttered sleepily, and Kagome giggled softly at the little kitsune.

"I think so, are we, Sessho-kun?" Sesshomaru nodded, kneeling for them to get off. Kagome hugged Shippo to her body, and when her feet touched the ground, she saw a flash and a gust of wind whirl behind her. Turning around, she saw the Taiyoukai of the Western Lands standing where the giant silver dog used to be. Smiling warmly, she approached him, letting go of Shippo at the same time as he was struggling out of her grasp to explore the gardens.

"I don't know how to thank you," Kagome looked at him with grateful eyes, but he could still see that they were still tainted with sorrow. He frowned, lifting a clawed finger to caress her flushed cheeks and trace the tearstains still visible on her skin. His eyes grew soft with hidden affection, and he had to resist the urge to kiss her slightly parted pink lips.

"You can start by giving my a real smile, not those fake ones." He answered stoically, though it was gentler than usual. "You don't have to pretend with me, Kagome." Her smile faltered at this, and she lowered his gaze from his. Sesshomaru feared for a moment that he had said something wrong, and carefully removed his hand from her cheek. But before he could withdraw completely, Kagome grasped his hand in hers, gazing apologetically into his golden depths.

"Gomen, Sessho-kun. But I don't know if I will be able to do that. It might be a while until I can give you a real smile. . ." She said sadly. Looking away. "But right now. . .it hurts." Kagome's grip on his hand tightened as she felt the pang of sorrow in her heart again.

She found herself staring into his eyes once more when he placed a hooked finger and forced her to look at him. She almost gasped when she saw his face in the moonlight---beautiful. But it was not cold as she had always remembered, but almost kind, with his golden eyes flickering various emotions that she had never thought him to have. She nearly blushed, and did when she heard what he said next to her.

"This Sesshomaru can wait." He answered softly. `Because it'll be worth it,' he thought to himself, and let a little smile of his own curve on his lips when he saw her cheeks blush a pretty pink. Oh how he loved it when he was the cause of that cherry shade on her skin.

"Hey, are you two done?" Both of them turned their heads over to the little kitsune. Kagome laughed when she saw him covered in flower wreathes, necklaces, and other floral clothing.

"Shippo-chan! Wow, that's some outfit!" He pouted at her, but smiled boyishly as he ran into her arms.

"Kagome, guess who I found?" He urged her to guess enthusiastically. She ruffled his hair affectionately.

"Surprise me." He smirked and pointed to the a nearby field of flowers. From it emerged an energetic and giggling Rin.

"Kagome-neesan!" She squealed. Running over to the demon lord and miko, she threw herself into a tight hug with Kagome, then went over to hug Sesshomaru's leg. "Sesshomaru-sama brought Kagome-neesan to visit!" She said happily.

He patted her head, looking over to where Kagome stood beaming---though still with a sad air in her smile, at the little child.

"Something like that, Rin." He answered. The little girl giggled happily, and no sooner had she let go of the demon lord, she had begun to drag Kagome inside.

"Come on, Kagome-neesan! Rin wants to show Kagome-neesan Rin's room!" She urged. Nodding slowly, Kagome followed the child, glancing back over to Sesshomaru.

"Coming, Sessho-kun?" She asked. After a moment's silence, Sesshomaru went in with them, hopeful that he would be able to heal Kagome's broken heart. `And sooth my aching one.'

~ ^_^ ~

"Read this one, Kagome-neesan!" Rin insisted, holding out a red, leather bound book. Nodding, Kagome took it from the little girl's hand, and settled down on the cushions to start her storytelling. Shippo pounced into her lap happily, and snuggled into her warmth. She spotted Sesshomaru nearby, standing out into the balcony. Even though he was staring out at the moon, she could tell that he was listening intently to them.

It gave her the impression that she was like her guardian angel. `He's always watching out for me,' She thought. `He used to do that too,' She thought regrettably. Shaking out of her thoughts she scrunched her nose. She was here to forget about Inuyasha, and it wasn't right to compare Sesshomaru to him. `Besides, the way Sessho-kun watches over me is. . .different.'

"Momma?" She blinked, looking down at the children who stared at her questioningly. "When is the story gonna start?" Shippo asked. Kagome shook her head, and gingerly opened the book.

"It'll start. . . `Once upon a time. . .'" From the balcony, Sesshomaru watched from the corner of his eye as Kagome read to the children. Her voice flowed over the story like a song, and he closed his eyes, basking in the melodic ring in his ears.

He could feel Rin's contentment radiating off of her aura, and inwardly smiled. His eyes softened as he watched Kagome's hand gently stroke the children's hair, and it dawned on him that she looked like a mother soothing her child. And this lead to the mental picture that he had so often pictured in his mind of his family. The moment was intangible, and he could not help but smile.

`This is the way it should be,' He thought. And as the children lazily drifted into sleep, she looked up from the book to smile warmly at him. Sesshomaru could only stare back with golden orbs. `Except she still continues to give me that heartbreakingly sad smile.'

~End Chapter ^_^

CF: HAHAHAHA! I'm an all powerful falcon! BOW DOWN TO CF!

Yume: ^_^; Sorry for the insanity, today, the full moon is out, and CF turns from kitsune to falcon on this one night.

CF: THE WORLD IS IN CF'S GRASP! (dances around in front of the mirror, admiring her wings) Ah, CF is sooooo pretty!

Yume: You're just bigger is all.

CF: Silence! CF commands you!

Yume: It only lasts until dawn. . .

CF: Don't spoil it for CF!

Yume: Whatever. . .I hope that chapter was good, and I'm sorry if it's not up to par. I'm still suffering from a bit of writer's block, so the next update might take longer than usual. Suggestions are much needed! Oh, and I know I said that the lemon would come soon. Well, soon might be later. . .as I just got a couple of ideas to put in, and it seems it'll be just a little while longer until their mating. ^_^;

Review Responses:

~Fanfiction.net

AzalynAngel, Namesake, The Fallen Angel of Death, Kore Yan, seshy's child/sesshomare, Sorrow, VicFan, kenshin-is-mine^-^x, Tenma Koneko, valou, TigerPrincess1, Narani the Demoness, Saria4, Goki, mira, Mellychan, DarknessGuardian, Yuri, dragon-gurl12, wolf, DDRingAlleyCat, Hyo-Neko, Shinigami Clara, Tskyamma, Niamha, ForgetMeNot Fan, Noeru Inu, Elation, Anime-Crusader, Kagome loves Inuyasha, Seungmina1991, Kite-DemonTwinblader, fire goddess5, Akira Mitsura, cali1043, Catgirl Kuri, aido, Itoshii Kaosu Megami-Kouseki, Crazysexycool, AngOfDeath2U, Pisces6, Cherry34, Blue Demon Dragon, Sailor Princess, Demi, RabidMusey, Sesshomaru luv you, crystal saphire, Ryoko3600, anonymous, flare2, MoonlightPrincess, Reine Keri, Vixen Jinxie-chan, Fanfic Writer, Luna Hino, Lady Kagome-Fluffy's gurl, bloodbunny, Akina Tsukana, Inulover626, Rin6, Lady Kaela, LilAnimatedGrlN'Pink, Nightmare Flame, Aino Soari, Kitsune-chan-sama, duchesscarml, psycolady101, Mel, badgerwolf, Emberkitty1424, I Stalk Sesshomaru on weekends, TearsOfADemoness, Noir12, Defafaeth Mechqua, Sesshy's Hime, inuphoria, Blue-Saiyan-Angel, Dragon Rae, Ledophole, tessa3, Orchidacae, REDWOLF, Spacey-Panda, lone-black-tiger, amyfushigiyugi, Shadowfax, Fushigi Wolf, Paige50, ladihouki, CocaCola43, THANKS FOR ALL THAT SUPPORT!

kitkat: Thanks! I'm very flattered that you think of me as your hero, and I only write what I think should happen on the anime, without making it seem too out there. And as for the 21 chapter, let's just say I'm dedicated to my fans!

Kitsune_minkchan: Um, actually it sounded more like bribery. ^_^

Red Dragon9: lolz, thanks for the compliment on my chapters. And for all those who like to pop up on you, all I can say is hey, isn't life full of surprises?

Heikaru: Awwww, I love you! It's just that with so many review responses to type, I have to save room. Hence the gigantic "Thank You" paragraph.

Sanosuke Hidane: Really?! Where are you going?!

Dreamcatcher5: Yes, I've heard about them, and I have to admit, you're right! Their songs do fit in with the chapter!

Inuchick16: Wow, really? I'm honored! I hope you start reviewing for every one of my chapters! (hint hint)

AnImEfReAk81: Thanks for the chocolates! I hope that you have better luck on Jade than I have on CF.

Perro: OMG! If I could go through this computer and kiss you I would! (glomps) I LOOOOOOVE that review. AN ACUTAL REVIEW! I was giggling madly while I read it, almost fell out of MY chair when I finished, and did the happy dance numerous times when I found the feeling to my legs! ^_^ I only hope not to disappoint you, and as a matter of fact, I did sneeze once or twice over Thanksgiving. And CF had such a sneeze fit, I thought she was going to blow her nose off. Lolz.

Familia-Ficz: Wow, making profits off of hentais. . .me like. ^_^

DarkPyroPlanet: Here, a separate review response for you, happy?! CF: Don't be mean! DarkPyro loves us, and wants her love to be acknowledged! ^_^

Whysper: No hard feelings, and yeah. I'd say more but I think you got my review, and I am waaaay overdue on the updating thing! Post haste!

Katani Masaya: Either they're markings or eyeshadow, they're still sexy.

Kiwi93089: Ah, Naraku, you get Kikyo now, but. . .TWIST! hehe. BTW, I must thank Geta for that idea on "Demon's Angel" It broke through my writer's block! I could kiss you! But I won't. I'll use that idea, if you don't mind!

Mistress Fluffy: Actually, this story isn't quite over yet. I still have tons of stuff I still haven't put in yet, so it may be a while till the actual end. Sorry if that was a disappointment!

~Mediaminer.org

Daxemon, Kitsune Bi, Cresent Moon 22000, (fireash), Razor Blade Magarita, tgf, THANKS AND I'M COMING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Awaikage: Um, thanks for the offer, but that's really unnecessary. And I don't mind if you hurt CF, just don't bust her up too badly. Even though she's unlikable to you, she's useful to me! . . .Don't look at me like that CF!

Kurama no Miko2003: Thanks! I always think it's important to have story development on how the two characters fall for each other. And I sort of don't believe in Love at First Sight. Look at how Romeo and Juliet turned out!

wackoramaco87: I don't know if I went hard enough on Inu, but I figure I'll just let the guilt eat him alive.

END NOTE!

Yume: Well, that's all for this week. I hope to be back next week, please read and review, no flames, and see ya next time! ^_^

Ja Ne! ^_~