InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ Say, Inu-Yasha. . . ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I so own Inu-Yasha. You know I do.

. . .

Okay, so I wish I did.

If I did, then Inu and Kag would be gettin' it on every five minutes. Would that be fun? ^_^

~Inu-Yasha: But what about killing Naraku?

. . .


Maiden of the Moon: Okay. . . Kill monkey boy and THEN heavy make out sessions! ^_^

Inu-Yasha: All right! XD~

Author's Note: ^_^ Hiya, people! I'm thrilled and furious all at once.

. . . Don't ask.

Anyway. . .

One: How was Inu-Yasha able to shut Kag's mouth? I thought he couldn't touch anything!

>< He was using mind powers. That's why it was, and I quote from the last chapter: ~. . . an *unknown force* keeping her mouth glued together.~

Two: Wasn't Miroku a little out of character for not hitting on that secretary?

No, I don't think so. He may be a lech, but I think if/when married to Sango, the woman he loves, he'd be quite faithful.

Three: Will this ending be like the one in `Silver Kiss'?

Never read the book, so I don't know. ^_^;

Four: Will any other characters be introduced?

A few. ^_^ Patience is virtue, remember.

Okay, I think that's all! ^_^

Hope y'all enjoy this chapter, too! ^_^_^_^_^

~*~

*

*

*


~Fragment of Eternity~

Chapter Three: Say, Inu-Yasha. . .

*

*

*

*Ding Dong!*

"Oh, thank goodness!"

"WENCH! GET YOUR SORRY ASS BACK HERE, I"M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET!"

Miroku arched an eyebrow, shooting his wife an all-too-familiar look. "Perhaps we should come back later. . . ? Maybe when they're not. . . busy."

Sango glared icily back. "She called to have him exorcised. Wipe that perverted look off your face."

"Ah, well, people can change their tune. . ." the violet eyed man grinned, turning to face the door just as it flew open, revealing a very tired looking girl. Her hair was a mess, her clothes were slightly torn, and shards of every and all breakable items clattered as they were pushed aside by her feet.

"Hello. . . I'm Kagome," the teen panted, her face flushed in exhaustion. "And you. . . ?"

"I'm Sango, and this is my husband Miroku," the brown-haired girl smiled gently. "We're here for the extermination?"

"NO!" a loud male voice came from the other side of the door- but it was quickly coming closer. "NO! You will NOT,"- - -

A figure burst through the wood, making the married couple leap back in surprise.

!!!

"Be getting rid of ME."

The ghostly boy now before them glared furiously at them as Kagome put her hands on her knees, gasping for breath.

"Sango. . . and Miroku," she panted, "Inu-Yasha. Inu-Yasha. . . Sango and . . . Miroku."

"Wonderful," Inu forced through gritted teeth, amber orbs narrowed into slits of intense dislike. "Simply wonderful."

With that, he spun around and glided back inside, throwing his arms left and right as pieces of wood from door frames and glass from windows fixed themselves.

Couldn't leave HIS house in such poor condition.

Of course, he made sure to leave all of Kagome's things broken.

Neyah neyah. So there, stupid bitch.

"Won't you come in?" Kag grinned weakly, widening the pathway as Sango and Miroku exchanged glances. "I'll get some tea. . ."

*SMASH!*

. . . Oh, man. . .

The girl groaned and whapped her head lightly against the wall as the exterminators cautiously entered. "Unless that was my tea pot. . ."

"It was!" the spirit called smugly from the kitchen. "And the next few sounds you're about to hear are the cups and saucers. Please note their musical capabilities- the way the more expensive ones make a slight `tinkle' as they break into a thousand unrecognizable pieces, the wa- - -"

"INU-YASHAAAAAA! I've got a matchbox in my pocket and I know just what to burn!" she screamed loudly, making the couple in the foyer wince.

. . .

"I hate you," the boy grumbled, gliding out of the kitchen and into the living room, sulking in a corner.

Sighing deeply, Kagome closed the door and ushered her guests towards the couch, sitting on a semi-broken chair before them.

As Sango and Miroku made themselves comfortable on the furniture, an uncomfortable silence passed over them all.

. . .

"So?" the stormy eyed female finally inquired. "Can you exorcise him?"

The married pair glanced at one another, then back at their customer.

. . .

"No."

- - -?!

Kag's eyes widened as she stood with a clatter, ignoring Inu-Yasha superior smirk.

"WHAT?! Why not?!"

"`Cause he's a ghost, not a demon," Sango shrugged. "We get rid of youkai and the sort. We don't deal with spirits."

"But isn't that what an exorcism is?! Getting rid of ominous clouds and stuff?!"

"Clouds. Not spirits."

"Can't a spirit be a cloud?!"

"Sometimes," Miroku agreed. "But either way- that's not our specialty. Did you see any implication that we dealt with ghosts in our advertisement?"

"Except for the `exorcising' thing? No," she replied grumpily, flopping back down on her chair- - -

And falling completely through it as it gave way.

Oww. . .

`Why me. . . ?' she thought desperately, trying not to cry. Noticing her utter disappointment, Sango smiled softly, getting to her feet and helping the girl stand. "We're exterminators- we get rid of physical beings."

"And he's a ghost, not a demon," the black haired man finished. "There's a difference, you know."

"He's a hanyou ghost," Kagome offered lamely, leaning against the other female for support. Her rump really, really hurt. . . "Does that help at all?"

"He's still a ghost."

The girl made a very frustrated noise, crossing her arms huffily as she pushed her pain aside.

"Isn't there any way I can GET RID OF HIM?!"

Inu-Yasha glared at her from the corner of his eye. "I'm right here, you know."

"And I wish you weren't!" she snapped, tugging on her charcoal locks.

"Foolish wench," he grumbled, turning away once more.

"Look," Sango soothed, patting the girl's arm. "We'll help you clean up and we'll discuss some other tactics you can try. We're not specialists, but we can still help you."

!

Still help. . . ?!

Kag's stormy eyes widened in gratitude.

"Would you? Could you? Really?" she almost cried, beyond relieved. "Thank you!"

Over in the corner, however, a certain spirit was a little less than grateful.

`Keh'ing loudly, Inu-Yasha stormed through the wall; mumbling about a `stupid bitch' under his breath.

"Well," Miroku beamed, rolling up his sleeves. "Got a broom?"

*

As the three tided up the living room, the ghost watched from outside- resting a few inches above the branches of the dead tree in the middle of the yard.

`Look at them,' he thought darkly, glancing at the humans through the large bay window- the one that the male exorcist was now cleaning. `Pathetic mortals. Thinking they can rid themselves of me.

Well.

They'll see soon.

. . .

I'll never leave. . .'

He sighed softly, listening to the wind as it whipped through him; watching gray clouds gather.

Fall was quickly approaching.

. . .

Was the breeze cold today. . . ?

`. . .

If only I could feel it.'

*

"So what you're saying," Kag rephrased slowly, dumping the remains of her old white vase into the garbage. "Is that if we find out how he died. . ."

"Then we can figure out why he's refusing to move on," Sango completed with a nod, straightening the pillows and floral arrangement in the living room.

"He just has unfinished business of sorts," Miroku added, restocking the supply of dishes in the cabinets.

"All we have to do," the magenta orbed girl beamed, "is help him finish that business."

"Then he'll go away?" Kagome questioned hopefully.

"Then he should go away," Miroku replied with a smile.

"Great!" the ebony haired female clapped her hands together.

Finally! A light at the end of the tunnel!

. . .

Well, not literally. . .

But- - -

Hm?

"Just one thing to remember, Kagome," the man warned softly, his face solemn and his eyes serious.

?

"What's that?"

"Inu-Yasha, though dead, still has feelings." He averted his gaze out the window, towards the boy. "After all- you experience emotions through the soul, not the heart."

. . .


"Yeah. . . ?" Kag blinked, not seeing where this was going.

"So, try to be considerate," he smiled, glancing back at her. "Who knows what kind of memories our prying will dig up? They may be painful."

Painful. . .

The girl frowned slightly.

`That's true. . .

I wonder what kind of memories he has. . . ?'

. . .

Her mind momentarily flickered back to the picture, which was now hanging in the living room.

. . .

His eyes. . .

. . .

"Kagome? Kagome, are you listening?"

"Huh?" the girl jumped, jolting back to reality as Sango snapped her fingers before her face.

"I just asked you if you had any other questions," Miroku chuckled, amused.

The girl's brow furrowed slightly in thought. "Ummmm. . . Oh! Yes, I do have one."

"Oh? And what's that?" the male inquired smoothly, throwing his arm around his new client.

"How will we get him to tell us anything AT ALL?" she asked, staring up at the man expectantly. "It took me all last night just to get his name."

. . .

"Er. . ."

. . .

"Your ad DID say fast service."

. . .

"Um. . ."

. . .

"Uh. . ." Sango scratched the back of her neck in embarrassment. "Well. . . That's for demons. . ."

. . . ?

"So what are you saying?" Kagome questioned, arching an eyebrow.

Miroku grinned nervously. "Have any spare rooms?"

*

"What?!" Inu-Yasha barked, hovering over Kagome as she calmly pealed carrots over the sink. "NO! NONONONONONONO! They are NOT staying! YOU are not staying! Why can't you all just go away?! Go away and leave me alone!"

"Say, Inu-Yasha," the girl murmured out of the blue, totally ignoring his outburst, "how did you die?"

. . .


. . . ?!

"What the- - -?!" the boy glared. "Where the hell did that come from?! Why do you care, anyway?! What's this about?!"

"Nothing," she assured him quickly.


Too quickly.

His eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"What's going on. . . ?" he questioned, voice dangerous and low. "What are you plotting, bitch?"

"Nothing," she calmly repeated. "And my name isn't `bitch'. It's Kagome."

His glare never wavered.

And so they stood there like that, for a long time. Kag casually skinning the long, orange veggies, Inu-Yasha never removing his murderous glare.

. . .

"So are you going to answer me?"

"Keh!" he exclaimed, turning his back to the girl and soaring through the wall.

. . .

Kagome sighed deeply, dropping her knife and the carrot in her hands.

`This isn't going to be easy. . .

. . . '

She leaned against the counter, watching the dead tree's branches sway in the wind.

`. . . Maybe. . .

His memories. . . .

Maybe they are painful. . . ?'

*

"So, you must be Inu-Yasha," Miroku said cheerfully, unpacking a large lavender duffel bag and storing it's contents in the closet of the red and gold guest room.

"And you must be Miroku," the ghost replied coldly, sitting a few inches above the bed and watching the man with a icy gaze. "Tell me, why is it that the bitch is suddenly so interested in my death? Because ironically enough. . ."

He floated a few inches closer, just to unnerve the other. (Not that he succeeded in that prospect, but he tried anyway.)

"She didn't give a shit until after she finished talking to you and your wife."

Miroku blinked innocently.

"I don't know. Maybe she's showing interest `cause she wants to know more about you?"

Inu-Yasha's frown deepened. `Why would she want to know more about ME?! She doesn't care!'

He was about to voice as much when- - -

The other grinned. "But speaking of your death, maybe you could tell me what happened?"

Inu's frown became some sort of face twist that had yet to be named.

`What the hell. . . ? Why is everyone so interested in me all the sudden?!'

"No!" he snapped, leaving the exterminator to his unpacking.

*

"You're Sango, huh?" the spirit drawled, startling the magenta eyed female as she walked inside, suitcase in hand. "Going to unpack with your husband."

"Yup," she confirmed, looking up at the boy. He was leaning casually against the wall- - - a foot below the ceiling. "You saw him?"

"Yeah. Just had a chat with him, as a matter of fact," the deceased hanyou informed her, nonchalantly examining his claws. "Tell me- do you, too, share the obsession everyone suddenly seems to have in my death?"

She was silent for a moment, contemplating her answer.


"Why yes," she then smiled, dropping her luggage and leaning against the wall as well, staring up at him. "Would you tell me how you died?"

His calm stature instantly transformed into an annoyed one. "No."

"Not even if I added a `please'?"

"No!"

Irritated and even more confused, the spirit stormed through the door, trying vainly to figure out what was going on.

*

"So, Inu-Yasha," Kagome bubbled during dinner, causing everyone to glance up at her. "How did you die?"

The ghost in the corner glared coldly at her but didn't answer.

*

"Now that you mention it, Inu-Yasha," Miroku said casually as he slipped into his pajamas, "how did you die?"

Inu, who had been passing the married couple's room whist wandering aimlessly, paused for a moment. "I never mentioned it in the first place!"

*

"Hey, Inu-Yasha?" Sango called from the porch steps as twilight swallowed the earth and the spirit mulled things over in his tree. "I was wondering. How did you di- - - ?"

"NO! I AM NOT TELLING! I WILL NOT TELL!" Inu-Yasha screamed, `leaping' off his branch and soaring through the wall, hands over his ears. "NO NO NO NO NO! I CAN'T HEAR YOOOOOOOOOOU!"

No!

He would not tell!

He would not tell any one of them about anything!

Not a single thing!

They didn't need to know- he didn't want them to know!

Why were they so interested anyway?!

It's not like knowing how and why he died would make him go awa- - -

!!!

His eyes widened as he stopped in mid-stride.

That. . .

That was it. . .

They wanted to know so they could help him complete his `unfinished business'. . . !

. . .

Keh.

The fools.

If that was the case, those exterminating dummies were gonna be `sleeping over' for a loooooong time.

. . .

Sighing, Inu-Yasha turned to see where he'd stopped.

Huh.

The window.

The great bay window in the living room.

Taking a silent step closer, he rested his hand a few inches above the sill, waiting and watching for the moon to rise.

. . .

`Rise, moon. . .

Rise like you always have- - -

Have for the past month.

You can do it.

Just one more time. . .

Don't leave me alone just yet.'

Swallowing, he watched the horizon line expectantly- - -

And remembered the days when he hadn't needed to wait alone.

~*~

^_^

Hope you enjoyed!

Please R&R!

Ja ne!