InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ Conversations By Moonlight ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Me no own. You no care.

Author's Note: Enjoy!

~*~

*

*

*


~Fragment of Eternity~

Chapter Six: Conversations By Moonlight

*

*

*

"Inu-Yasha. . . ?"

The soft voice reached the spirit's ears quite suddenly, yanking him out of his deep thoughts. Spinning away from the window in slight surprise, his eyes fell upon- - -

The wench.

He arched an eyebrow. She cocked her head.

Then, wrapping her quilt more tightly to her body, she shuffled a or so foot closer; her fuzzy, ice-blue slippers contrasting her dark purple fleece pajamas.

"What are you doing up?" Inu asked rather rudely, turning abruptly away from the girl and returning his gaze to the waning sliver of moon. "You should be asleep by now."

"Insomnia, I guess," she shrugged, glancing towards her feet as she, too, stopped before the window. "So I thought I'd see what you were up to. Where were you this evening? You sort of disappeared. . ."

"I was outside," he told her curtly, crossing his arms tightly across his torso. "I'd rather listen to the wind then your idiotic plots to get rid of me."

Kagome blinked, looking rather hurt. "*Plot*?! What *plot*? There is no *PLOT*."

"What do you call brining back Kikyo, stupid?!"

"I dunno, but I know it's not a *plot*!"

"That's what *I'D* call it," the spirit grumbled.

"Why?" she inquired, glaring half-heartedly at the boy. "Why is it so terrible? Why don't you want to see Kikyo again?"

"Because she's a BITCH!" he snapped, a growl vibrating in his throat.

"Why?! Why is she such a bitch?" Kagome pressed. `Your eyes weren't saying that!'

"Because- - - !" he snarled, puncturing his arm with his claws. "Because- - - Because- - - Oh, you're just an absent minded fool! You wouldn't UNDERSTAND!"

. . .


"Of course I wouldn't," the girl whispered, swallowing hard. "Not if you don't tell me."

. . .

Inu-Yasha took a deep breath, massaging his temples as the back of his mouth burnt in frustration and anger.

"It's not a tale worth telling," he finally grounded out, letting his arms drop limply to his sides. "You might as well just give it up."

"But I want to know," Kag murmured, lightly chewing on her index finger as she looked up at the ghost.

"Keh. No, you don't."

"Yes, I do," the girl insisted.

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I do."

"You don't."

"I do!"

"You don't!"

"I do!"

"You don't!"

"I do!"

"YOU DON'T!" he hissed, amber eyes flaming as they locked with the girl's.

"I DO!" Kagome replied just as furiously, voice soft but dangerous.

"DON'T!"

"DO!"

"DON'T!"

"DO!"
"WHY?!"

- - - ?

Kagome blinked, her next `do' dying on her lips.

"H. . . Huh. . . ?"

"Why?!" he asked again, looking more confused and irritated than she had ever seen him before. "Why are you so insistent on knowing, stupid?! It's not like that knowledge is gonna help you at all! You've already got your frickin' `Kikyo' plan- why the hell would you need anything else?! THERE'S ONLY SO MANY TIMES YOU CAN EXORCISE ME!"

. . .

The girl blinked once again, pulling her blanket closer to her body as the male took deep, semi-calming breaths. "I don't want the knowledge to exorcise you."

"Keh! Suuuuuuuure. Of COURSE you don't!" Inu-Yasha drawled, staring icily down at her. "Then what, pray tell, DO you desire the information for?"

"I just want to know," she replied honestly. "I. . ."

. . .

There was no way she could tell him she felt sort of bad for him. . .

That she sort of wanted to help him. . .

So. . .

"I. . . I find you interesting."

". . . Keh.

Interesting," he repeated dryly. "You find me. . . Interesting."

"Yes," Kagome nodded. "Is that a problem?"

He laughed joylessly, locking his eyes on the heavens again. "You're a terrible liar."

She blushed in embarrassment, staring determinedly down at her feet.

"It wasn't a lie. . ." she grumbled. "I *do* find you interesting. But. . ."

"But?"

"But mostly I just want to help y- - -"

"Ah HA!" he cried victoriously, pointing at her with his left hand while wildly waving his right. "I KNEW IT! See?! You want to `help' me move on so you can have my house to yourself!"

"NO!" she defended. "No, really! I just want to help you! I don't like to see anyone suffer- even annoying spirits like you!"

Her eyes were still on the ground, so she missed the brief look of irritation that flitted across his face.

"I want to help you, Inu-Yasha!" she said rather loudly. "I don't want you to have to `live' all alone for eternity! Things will be better for you- you'll FEEL better- if you move on! I want to help you accomplish that! Miroku and Sango want to help, too! Please- let us!"

. . .

"You finished?" the boy asked dully.

"Just about," Kag mumbled, taking a deep gulp of air before continuing.

"I'm serious, Inu-Yasha. I want to help you. We all want to help you! So please. . . At least think about it."

She began nibbling on her bottom lip, slowly looking back up at the boy- the boy who was now determinedly avoiding her eyes.

. . .

"Okay, I'm done," she breathed.

"Good," was his monotone reply.

. . .

. . .

. . .

"So. . . ?" Kagome whispered, nervously pushing a defiant lock of hair behind her ear.

Inu-Yasha was quiet for a long moment. Then-

"Keh," he chuckled darkly. "I'm not gonna be able to shake you off, huh?"

"No," the girl replied, sounding rather confidently. If there was something she knew she could and would do, it was help people.

. . . Or ghosts.

Whatever.

". . . Fine. . ." he grumbled grudgingly, his voice so soft that she almost missed it. But even though she hadn't, she couldn't believe what she'd heard as the word reached her ears.

He- he couldn't have just AGREED- - - Could he have?


"Pardon- - - ?"

"I said FINE!" he snapped, glaring at her from the corner of his eye. "I don't give a damn anymore! Plot! Resurrect Kikyo! Try to `help me'! See if I care!"

After a moment of silence that passed as Kag made sure she hadn't misheard, something weird happened.

Weird in Inu-Yasha's eyes, anyway.

A large, happy smile slowly spread across the girl's face.

"Thank you," she grinned, looking more content and thrilled than the boy had ever seen. "Thanks for letting us help."

"Whatever," he snarled, looking quickly away. "Just go to sleep now, will ya?"

"All right," she beamed. "Good night, Inu-Yasha."

The spirit inclined his head slightly to acknowledge her departure; not moving again until he heard her door snap shut with a soft `click'.

Sighing deeply he buried his face in his hands, resisting the urge to scream. What had he done to deserve this hell? He didn't want to help- he didn't need their help!

. . .


Keh.

Not that they WOULD help, anyway. . .

They hated him- especially that wench. Why would THEY offer assistance of any kind? As soon as they knew he was ready to `move on' they'd probably send him to the fiery pits without a thought. After all, the idiot wanted his house. No one in their right mind would help a rival!

No one.

But not that it really mattered much. This charade would be over soon, whether he had known that truth or not. *Her* true colors would show through when they all tried to resurrect Kikyo. She wouldn't go through with it- he was sure. Why would she? The only reward would be knowing she had `helped' him- and he was certain she secretly didn't want to.

. ..

~"Thank you," she grinned, looking more content and thrilled than the boy had ever seen. "Thanks for letting us help."~

. . .

Did she. . . ?

Maybe she was a better liar than he had originally thought.

Shaking his head slightly, the ghost slowly turned away from the window and slowly glided off- just as the horizon began to glow an early morning gray. Slipping through the wall and `walking' towards his tree, he had no idea that his life- death- was about to change forever.

~*~

Dramatic ending of the chapter, huh? ^_~

Lol.

Ja ne!