InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ I'd Have Stayed ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Inu-Yasha, this wouldn't be fanfiction, would it?

Author's Note: Hello! ^_^ And how are the very best people in the world? ^_~ I hope you're all feeling spiffy.

Sorry it took me so long to update. Things started piling up again and I hadn't updated Early December in almost a month, so I did that. ^_^

One: ~... where do you get your ranma dvd's, or your inu ones for that matter... like, do you order them off the internet? I'd also like to sink my claws into some mangas!!~

A variety of places. Barnes and Nobel . com (bn.com) has a great selection of both mangas and DVDs ON LINE (in store their selection generally stinks). Also, Best Buy (at least the one near me) has a huge shelf of anime DVDs. Lots of boxed sets. Waldens Books is another good choice. Oh! And for those yet-to-be-dubbed Inu movies, I suggest Meganime DVD (the link is on my bio. ^_^). Good luck!

Two: ~Hmm kinda short and the writing seemed to lack some depth that has been in past chapters. But maybe your using this chapter to set up the other chapters? Which also explains its length. But dont take this review as a flame only trying to help for future chaps.~

Of course I didn't take it as a flame! You're right. It was short and. . . I guess not the best written chapter. But yes- it was really just setting up for this chapter. I considered merging the two, but I really wanted them to be separate. ^_^; Does that make sense? Hope so. ^_^;

I think that's it. . .

Enjoy! ^_^

~*~

*

*

*


~Fragment of Eternity~

Chapter Seven: I'd Have Stayed

*

*

*

"All right!" Sango clapped her hands briskly, as if about to start an important meeting. Looking around at the less than perky faces gathered in the bathroom, she mentally sighed. "Lots of work to do today, so let's get to it!"

"Oooo, let's," Inu-Yasha drawled, hovering cross-legged in the corner, rolling his eyes.

The female exterminator's cold gaze lingered on him for a moment, but quickly shifted to Kagome. Stifling a yawn, Kag lazily hitched up the drooping sleeve of her overalls. "Are you okay, Kagome?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm fine," the girl smiled weakly, blinking blearily up at her friend. "Just didn't get a lot of sleep last night, that's all."


Inu's amber pools flicked in her direction, watching her for a minute from the corner of his eye. `. . .'

"Ah. Well, why don't you take a nap later?" Sango suggested rather perkily, in a much better moon that usual. It was sort of frightening, actually. "Miroku, dear? How's the spell search coming?"

. . .


"`Dear'. . . ?" Kagome repeated softly, surprised. Okay, now Sango was REALLY frightening. . .

"She's nervous," Miroku quietly answered the unasked question, not once looking up from the thick, dusty volume he was flipping through. "She's sweeter when she's nervous. You should have seen her at our wedding."

"I heard that," the female exorcist frowned.


"Good. Then maybe you'll stop being scared," her husband smiled up at her, tapping a paragraph on the open page. "Found it."

"Gre- - -I'm not scared!"

"Found what, exactly?" Kag yawned again, sitting tiredly upon the toilet as her heavy eyelids drooped.

"Ooooooh, Nothing special," the violet eyed man shrugged. "Just a potion and incantation to separate the portion of Kikyo's soul still within you from your body."

. . .

?!

Well, THAT woke her up.

"WHAT?!" she yelped, leaping to her feet. "I - Wha- Uh- WHAT?!"

"This spell requires the reincarnation or kin of the deceased entity. We don't know any of her kin," Sango explained.

"But that doesn't explain why you're using me!" Kagome replied, fear clenching her stomach. Loosing her SOUL?!

"Sure it does," the black haired man grinned. "You're her reincarnation, silly."

"How do you know?! You have no proof!" Kag snapped, pointing an accusing finger at her two exorcist buddies. "I'm no one's reincarnation!"

"Kag, think about it! You're an artist- so was Kikyo!"

"True, but so was Andrew Wyeth and Pablo Picasso! I don't see you going around saying THEY'RE Kikyo's reincarnations!"

"You moved into this house- so did Kikyo!"

"Others have lived here, too!"

"You have a similar aura to that which is surrounding all of Kikyo's possessions!"

"I don't even know what an `aura' is! I'm telling you- I AM NOT KIKYO'S REINCA- - -"


"Yes, you are."

Everyone turned in semi shock to see Inu-Yasha staring coolly at the girl before him.

. . .

What. . . ?

"I- - - I- - -" Kag stuttered. "Wha- - - ?"

"You're her reincarnation, okay?" he repeated sullenly, looking deliberately away. "Just trust me on this."

"But I- - -!"

"Come on, Kagome-sama, the spell won't hurt you either way," the black haired man soothed, putting in the tub's plug. "If you are her reincarnation then the spell will work, if not, well then, we'll find another way to help our spiritual friend."

"I'm not your friend."

"Sure, you are!"

"No, I'm not. Exterminator-woman, knock some sense into your husband!"


The magenta eyed girl ignored the ghost as she picked up a small bag of herbs and dried medicinal plants.

Kagome swallowed hard, watching as Miroku proceeded to turn on the warm water. "Y-you guys, I dunno. . ." It was one thing when she thought they might call Kikyo's soul down from the sky or something, but another matter entirely when it involved ripping it from her OWN essence. Rubbing her hands together, Kag couldn't suppress a small tremble.

"Hey, it'll be cake," Sango reassured her friend as her husband turned the nozzle again, this time to the `off' position. The warm liquid inside the tub was almost seeping over the rim it was so full; smelling strongly (and rather disgusting) thanks to the plants. "I promise."

The ebony haired girl's only reply was to clamp her hand over her mouth and nose, trying to block out the scent that was making her stomach churn. `Gonna throw up. . .'

"Come on, Kagome!"

"You can do it!"

"G-g-guys- - - ! I really don't think I can. . ."

Inu-Yasha watched the girl resist her friends with a blank expression. Then:

"Keh. I knew it."

. . .

?

Kagome blinked once, glancing over her shoulder at the spirit. "Hu-h-h?"

The deceased hanyou voice was a emotionless as his face. "I knew that you didn't really want to help me."

. . .

The girl's eyes widened slowly. `Help him. . .

But I do want to help him. . . !'

Swallowing again, she turned to face the tub, in which the sea-green water seemed to the churning anxiously. Droplets ran over the edge, leaving dark trails in its wake as it slipped down the fake marble.

`He doesn't trust me. . .

He doesn't believe me. . .

And he'll never consider doing so if I don't fulfill my promise now, no matter how scary it seems. . .'

She turned her clammy face to her companions, who were waiting patiently for her decision. Licking her dry lips, she glanced one more time at the boy. `. . . Inu-Yasha. . .' "I never said I didn't want to or wasn't going to help you," she told him firmly. "I just. . . Don't like this idea."

He blinked at her but said nothing.

"So. . ." she trailed off, staring determinedly at the pool of potion. "I'll do this."

"Excellent!" Sango clapped, taking the magic book from its momentary resting place on the sink's counter. "Let's get going."

The married couple watched Kagome expectantly.

. . .

. . .

. . .

"Well?"

"Well what?" the girl cried somewhat exasperatedly. "I don't know what to do! I don't spend my free time resurrecting dead spirits, you know!"


"Oh, yeah," Miroku grinned, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Right. Don't worry, we'll walk you through this."

"Oh, good."


"First," the female exterminator told her, "get into the tub."

"But you might want to take your clothes off, first," Miroku said seriously. "You know, if you want."

Everyone glared rather coldly in his direction. Laughing nervously, the man waved his hands in a defensive fashion. "Or you can just leave them on. . ."

"Thank you," Kag drawled, climbing up upon the fake marble step that brought one up high enough to crawl easily into the tub. "I think I'd prefer to." But as Sango smacked her husband for his comment, she seemed to remember something about clothes. The others knew this because of her sudden outcry of: "Clothes!"

Diving for her bag, she began tearing through it like an animal.

"Uh. . . what are you doing?" Kagome inquired, still perched upon the step.

"Finding the proper clothes! If you wear what you're wearing now, Kikyo will be resurrected with a copy of your outfit on. I don't think she'd like that. So I took the liberty of digging out a pair of old miko robes I had in storage. There!" she cried happily as she held up an old uniform. The large white blouse was adorned in careful red stitches around the sleeve's edges, and the huge red pants seemed to flare out from the waist. "Wear this!"


Inu-Yasha stared openly at the clothes, eyes wide. `No. . . not those clothes. . .

Just like Kikyo's. . .'

"Must I?" Kagome whimpered, sounding rather strained. She really didn't want to put on something that was obviously reminding a certain someone of something bad. She wasn't dumb- she could seem the emotions flit behind Inu's eyes.

The exorcising pair nodded, Sango holding out the clothes.

"You can change right there, if that makes it easier," Miroku offered, earning a slap from both Sango as she once again picked up the book, and from Kagome as she walked quickly out of the bathroom, heading towards her bedroom to change.

*

`Is she really gonna go through with this. . . ?' Inu-Yasha thought in blank shock as the door creaked open a few moments later, revealing a very embarrassed Kagome. Fiddling with the ties in her outfit, she shuffled towards the tub without looking up at anyone. `She really *does* want to help?

But why?

I've done nothing for *her*. . . '

"Now, Kagome, before you get into the tub," Sango held up a hand, stopping the ebony haired girl just as she (once again) climbed up the step. "We have to make sure everyone is fully aware of something."

She turned to face Inu-Yasha, who was watching the scene with surprised eyes.

"Ghost, it's important you realize something," the magenta eyed female announced, a serious expression on her face. "You too, Kag- but I think this might actually make YOU feel better."

"What is it?" the reincarnation questioned softly, rubbing her goosebump covered arms as the potion made her head spin.

"Though this may work and we may be able to resurrect Kikyo's spirit, you have to acknowledge the fact that a soul changes when born anew."

Her eyes bored into Inu-Yasha's.

"No person truly lives twice."

. . .

"That's great," Kagome spat out dryly, covering her mouth as she tried to choke back a dry heave. "Can we continue before *I* die. . . ?"

The brown haired girl glanced once more at Inu, who did not reply. Then she nodded. "All right, Kag. Get in the tub."

. . .

She looked into the tub.

She looked back at the second girl.

She released a soft cry.

"Do I have to. . . ?"

"If you want to do this."

". . . Okay," she whispered, crawling sluggishly into the pool of herbal muck. Her body fell into the tub with a dull splash, staining the floor with the sludge. Breaking the surface with a gasp, she leaned blankly against the tile wall. She was looking really ill now, almost green in the face. "Can we hurry this up?"

"All right," Miroku smiled gently, stepping to the rim of the tub and placing a cool hand on Kagome's forehead. "Now just relax."

"And how do you suggest I do that?" she murmured sarcastically, lightly closing her eyes. "I'm about to loose half my soul. . ." she continued sleepily, body convulsing as the stench clogged her senses.

"That's not true," Miroku told her, sounding slightly indignant as he nodded at his wife. "You'll only loose a 1/4th of your soul."

"Oh, great. That's so much better," she retorted, her voice so faint that Inu-Yasha, with his sharp dog ears, wondered if anyone but him was able to hear her. But it didn't matter either way, for just then, Sango began chanting softly- - - making both her body and the book pulse with power. The male exorcist stepped away from the tub, leaving Kagome alone as her half-conscious form began beating in time with the spell.

`Is this really happening. . . ?'

Inu's eyes were telling him that it was, but his mind wouldn't agree. Nothing was sinking in- nothing. Not even when the faint shadow of a soul seemed to force itself an inch or so out of Kag's skin.

`It she's really going through with this. . . ?'

As the beat died, so did the shadow- being swallowed by Kagome's subconscious. But when the pulse sounded again, a little louder, the image appeared once more- only this time an inch and a half from her flesh.

`She is. . .

The wench is really trying to help me. . .'

So it continued, until each beat seemed to throw a whole body out of Kagome's, slamming the two back together again as the heart-beat died- only to rise louder than before.

`Why. . . ?'

Miroku's eyes widened slightly as he bit his bottom lip. `It's really working. . .'

Suddenly, Kagome's blank eyes snapped open, mouth opening in a silent scream as that shadow flew from her body one more time- - -

And didn't disappear as the spells pulse faded away; dying for the last time.

The ghostly woman before them said nothing. Her glossy black hair tumbled over her shoulders like waterfalls, her feet hovering a few inches from the ground. Her trembling hands slowly lifted to touch her own face, gingerly resting on her cheeks. And then- - -

Her shockingly blue-gray eyes snapped open.

"I'm- - -

I'm alive. . ."

*

Kag's body went completely slack, her face slipping underneath the potion.

"Kagome-sama!" Miroku gasped as Sango closed her book, looking up at the new spirit in shock. But then her eyes fell upon the tub.

"Wha- - - ? Kagome!" she gaped, rushing over to the rim and plunging her hands into the water, finding her friend's loose clothing and use it to pull her to the surface. Kag's head lulled to the side as Miroku quickly pulled the plug on the tub, allowing the water to slowly drain.

"Kagome!" the ebony haired man cried again, turning his attention to the girl.


"Kagome!" his wife echoed, shaking her.

"K. . .

Kikyo. . ." Inu-Yasha murmured softly, eyes wide as they fell upon the silent female before him, the one that was looking blankly at the ceiling, still frozen in surprise. But at the sound of his voice she gave a start, looking down at him in shock.

"Inu-Yasha. . . ? Wha- - -"

!

A flash of searing, incomprehensible pain shot through Kikyo's semi-transparent flesh. It was a familiar feeling- - - the feeling of one's soul tearing itself away from the body. `But I just came ba - - -!'


She spun to face the tub, where she could detect an evident source of power- familiar power. Her power.

The girl.

She gasped softly, hugging her body tightly as what must have happened sank in. `I- I've got to get out of here!'

"Kikyo- - - ?!" Inu choked as the ghost suddenly fled, gliding quickly through the wall- out into the gray afternoon. "Wait!"

*

The dark haired ghost stumble weakly as she pressed through the dead garden, barely noticing where she was- much less where she was and who was following her. But all that came into sharp focus as she felt a clawed hand grab her shoulder, turning her roughly around.

Her eyes widened.

"Inu-Yasha. . ." she whispered, her voice catching in her throat. "It is you. . ."

"You don't say," Inu growled. "Is that why you were running?"

"N-no! It was. . . that girl. . ." Kikyo told him softly, biting her bottom lip. "Inu-Yasha, what's going on? What happened?"

"I'm dead. You're dead. We're ghosts," he summarized coldly.

A quiet gasp escaped her pink lips.


"D-dead. . . ? But you. . .

You look the same as when. . .

!

Oh. . . Oh gods!" the miko breathed- - -

"Whatever, Kikyo!" he cut her off icily. "I just want you to tell me- - - !"

- - -Throwing her arms around the hanyou.

"To tell. . . me. . ." the boy trailed off, shocked and rigid, "wh- what are you doing. . . ?"

"Inu-Yasha," the girl choked. "What happened? Why are *you* dead?! You were as young as I! What happened?! God, if I had only known- - - !"

"What are you TALKING about?" he asked, though the irritated tone of voice he had wanted didn't sound quite as harsh as it should have. "You should know why I'm dead, bitch!"

"I don't know! I *didn't* know! I swear!" she insisted, pearl-white tears collecting in the corners of her eyes. "If I had- - - Oh, if I only had known. . ." she whispered, voice hitching. "I'd have stayed with you. . ."

. . . ?!

"S-stayed. . . ?"

His long standing hatred wavered as his amber orbs widened, her words sinking in. At his side, his stiff arms loosened slightly, trembling, before coming to rest around the girl's slender waist. She pressed her hands and face into his chest, staining his clothes with ghostly tears. "You'd. . . you'd have stayed with me. . . ?"

"Yes, Inu-Yasha. Yes! Oh, gods, if I had known," she whimpered softly, quiet sobs escaping her lips as she buried herself in his embrace. "God, how I've missed you!"

"But- - - But if you care so much, than- - - than why- - -?" he choked out, confusion racking at his brain. `Why did she- - - ?'

"Oh, Inu-chan. . . We have so much to talk about," Kikyo murmured, slowly wrapping her arms around his neck and closing her eyes. "I don't know what happened to you- and I need to. You have questions, so do I. But for the time being. . .

Please. . .

Let us just rejoice in each other's presence. Just for a while.

I've missed you so much. . ."

The hanyou swallowed, slowly looking down at the girl in his arms. The one he had hated. The one he had loathed.

The one he had loved.

His arms tightened around her as his knees buckled. "Kikyo. . ." Together they slid down to the ground, never once forsaking their embrace. "Kikyo, I. . ." Closing his eyes, the boy buried his face in her hair as she held him tightly. "Kikyo, I missed you so much!"

*

"Kagome!"

"Kagome!"

The girl stirred, groaning as colorful shapes swirled behind her lidded eyes.

"Kagome!"

Was that her name they were calling. . . ?

"Kagome!"

Yes, that was it, wasn't it?

"Kagome, wake up!"

"Ugggh. . ." Her lashes slowly fluttered, her pale skin soaked with old potion. "Wha. . . what happened. . . ?" Finding her footing and holding tight to her friend's hands, she pushed herself to her feet- - - a little too quickly. Bracing herself against the wall as her head spun, she let out a pained moan. "Make that a double ugh. . ."

"Are you all right, Kag?" Sango asked worriedly, brow furrowed in concern. "You were out for so long!"

"Yeah, just feeling a little light-headed. . ." she grunted as her noggin slowly stopped throbbing. "But I thought you said this procedure wouldn't hurt, Miroku!"

"It didn't hurt you!" the man defended himself as he helped his employer step out of the tub. "It just made you feel a little ill!"

"Same thing," the girl grumbled.

"I don't think so!"

"Whatever," Kagome sighed. "It's all over now, that's what counts. At least. . ." She turned to look curiously back at her friends as they wrapped a towel around her sopping shoulders. "It *is* over, right?"

"Yeah," Sango nodded, small smile on her face. "It's over."

"Did it work?" the girl inquired, her insides writhing nervously as she instinctively straightened, turning to face the window. "Did it- - - huh?"

Before her friends could answer, she took a step closer to the glass, pushing back the curtain.

. . .

"Yes, it did," Miroku replied unnecessarily, oblivious to the fact that Kagome was not paying him the least bit of attention. "And it looks like we may be able to get rid of him, now!"

"Mmm," Kag murmured in monotone, turning quickly away from the window. "Well. . . I'm. . . I'm going to get changed. . . and go sketch some. Help yourself to dinner whenever your hungry."

"Kag?" the magenta eyed female blinked. "What's wrong? Aren't you glad? K- - - ?"

But the girl did not reply as she brushed past the couple.

~*~

I'm sure you all thoroughly hate my guts right now, but please keep in mind this IS an Inu/Kag fic. They'll have their moments. Please don't forsake this fic yet! ^_^

Please R&R!

Ja ne!