InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ Deadly Intentions ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 13: Deadly Intentions

Kagome tilted her head back, and closing her eyes, sighed happily as the warm sun passed gentle tendrils of heat across her face. It was a gorgeous day, not too hot, and not cold... just right. Opening her eyes, she looked into clear blue skies, not a cloud in sight to mar the deep blue perfection.

Running her hands over the cool grass at her feet, she smiled, deeply inhaling the warm floral scents circulating through the garden. She couldn't remember a time when she had felt this level of contentment - her entire being sang of happiness and joy. Looking around, she knew that it wasn't her surroundings that were the cause, either. Her joy had a name.

Sesshoumaru.

He was everything she'd never known that she'd wanted, and, back when this whole crazy adventure had started, if someone had told her she'd be sitting here, in Sesshoumaru's palace, actually hoping he'd hurry up and mate her already, she'd have slapped them into a straitjacket, tossed them into the well, and once on her side of it, drug them to the nearest loony bin.

But that's exactly where she was.

Fingers closing around a blade of grass, she pulled it up and absently began twirling it, so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice anything around her... and that was almost a fatal mistake.

Just as she leaned back, an arrow thudded into the ground where her body had been not seconds before.

Startled and angered, she jumped to her feet, instantly throwing a barrier around herself as she whipped around to stare at the retaining wall around the palace. From the angle the arrow had come, whoever had shot it had to have been standing atop it... but if someone had been there, they weren't now, and she bent down and grabbed the arrow, yanking it out of the ground.

Keeping her shield intact, she began moving towards the doors into her room, intent on getting inside before another arrow came flying out of nowhere at her. Once she reached her room and had slid the doors shut behind her, she dropped her barrier and began examining the arrow. Most arrows looked the same, but there were small differences that could ofttimes be used to trace their user, and she wanted to know exactly what this arrow was like... because she had every intention of finding out who'd attempted to kill her.

Before she could even think about going to look for Sesshoumaru, the daiyoukai himself came bursting through her door, eyes red-tinged and growling angrily, leaving her staring at him blankly in surprise.

"Sesshoumaru? What...?"

He hissed, looking around her, she could feel his youki flaring, and he strode over to her, almost yanking the arrow out of her hands.

"What happened?" he snapped, pinning her with a red-eyed stare.

"Uh, umm, well, actually," she said, frowning, "that's a good question. I was sitting out in the garden when that," she gestured at the arrow he was almost crushing in his hand, "came flying out of nowhere at me." Casting a sideways glance at him, she asked, "How did you know something was wrong?"

Still growling, agitation tightening his muscles visibly, he answered, "I felt your barrier go up... and also, I could feel your emotions as it was happening." Fist tightening on the object that had almost cost him his female, he crushed it in his hand, his rage barely held in check.

Kagome, noting that things were not going well with her beloved, threw herself into his arms and practically purred at him.

"Calm down, Sesshoumaru, please," she whispered soothingly. "It's okay... I didn't even get scratched."

He put his arms around her and held on tight, lowering his head and nuzzling his nose into her neck. She could feel his jaw clenching and unclenching as he tried desperately to reassert his legendary control, and she cooed calmingly at him.

He drew in a deep breath, then slowly let it out, and pulled back and looked at her. "Did you see who shot this arrow at you?"

She shook her head, meeting his angry gaze with one of her own. "No. Whoever did it didn't want to be seen." Her brow furrowed as she looked down for a moment. "They weren't trying to kill me honorably, Maru-chan... this was an assassination attempt. Whoever is behind this doesn't want their identity known." Sighing, she looked back up at him as he hissed again. "If this were an honorable challenge to fight, I could deal with that easily, but this...? Until we figure it out, I'm going to have to be constantly on my guard."

Sesshoumaru motioned to the guards that were hovering just outside her room, and waited as they pushed past the ruined doors. "Send Jaken to my study, and instruct the gate guards to lock them... no one goes in or out 'till I rescind the order myself."

They nodded, and bowing, turned to carry out his orders as he took her arm and escorted her past the doors and out into the halls. Muscles still tight with tension, he flared his aura deliberately, making sure everyone in the vicinity knew to stay away or risk his wrath. Staring straight ahead as he moved through the halls towards his study, he said, "You will not be returning to your previous room. From this day forward you will sleep in my bed." At her surprised gasp, he looked down. "Is this a problem for you?"

"N-no, not... really, I guess, I just - hadn't thought of it, that's all. After all, when I woke this morning, the idea of being in your bed by this evening hadn't occurred to me," she said wryly.

"I understand that, koi, and I will not push you to mate with me before you are ready, however, you will sleep in my bed from now on. That is not up for discussion."

She smiled up at his tense expression. Obviously, he thought she was going to argue. "That's fine, Sesshoumaru. I don't mind, you know. It's not as if I won't end up in your bed sooner or later anyway... and I'm not afraid of sleeping with you." She twinkled up at him mischievously. "It won't be long before sleepings not all we'll be doing in your bed, I promise you, koibito."

His eyes brightened as he stared down at her. "I can hardly wait, my mate..."

He broke eye contact as they came to a stop before his study doors, and pushing them open, he waited for her to step inside before closing the door and moving around to sit behind his desk, clearly waiting for Jaken to arrive. She smiled at him and grabbing a cushion, set it next to his, and sat down, cuddling into his side for a moment before sitting up straight.

She folded her hands into her lap, a thoughtful expression crossing her face. "Sesshoumaru," she said slowly, "that arrow was shot from here inside the shiro... however, it isn't of the same type as the ones your soldiers have access to. The arrow itself came from outside. I don't think this was an inside job, so to speak."

He frowned at her. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I don't think this was done by one of your people. In the weeks since I've been awake, I've gone all over this place, and met most everyone here... and nowhere, not once, have I ever run into a negative aura. No one I've met has had any hatred towards me. I think... someone snuck in here. This was an outside attempt."

Sesshoumaru sat back, considering what she'd said. She was probably right. In the years that he'd had her body here, he'd had plenty of time to weed out those who had a dislike of humans, or who had anything negative to say about his obvious obsession with her. He also had not detected any hatred or anger directed at her by any of his people... his thoughts broke off as Jaken entered the room, bowing obseqiously.

"Yes, my Lord Sesshoumaru? I was told that my Lord sent for me?"

"Jaken, pay close heed. Someone has attempted to take the life of my Lady using this arrow." He handed the pieces that were left to the kappa. "Take it, and track down the person that makes these arrows, then bring me the information on their identity."

Jaken shook off his shocked look, and nodded, bowing again. "Yes, my Lord!"

"And Jaken?" He waited till the little gami met his eye. "Find out quickly. I do not wish to wait to know who attempted to take Kagome from me. I have plans for that person - painful plans." He held up his hand and looked at it for a minute, cracking his knuckles as his hand folded into claws, obviously visualizing those plans.

"Deadly plans," he whispered. "No one threatens what is mine."

Kagome shivered, suddenly glad that she was what he considered his. There was a reason he was considered Nippon's deadliest and most powerful daiyoukai... Killing Perfection, indeed.

He looked back up at his servant. "Dismissed, Jaken."

The gami didn't speak again, just hurried out the door to do his Lord's bidding.

Silence reigned for a little while after he left, as each considered the events of the day. Actually, Kagome looked out the window, the day has hardly started, it's just barely mid-morning. She sighed. It was going to be a long day... and it had looked so promising just an hour before.

Sesshoumaru looked over at her when he heard her sigh, and tried to think of something to take her mind off what had happened. "Tell me, koi... would you enjoy getting away from the shiro for a little while? I can have the cooks prepare a lunch, and we can take Ah-Uhn and spend the day far from here."

Kagome brightened immediately. "I'd love that, Maru-chan! I've been meaning to ask if we could get away for a day... it's been so long since I've seen anything besides here that I'm getting cabin fever."

He looked at her oddly for a moment. "Cabin fever?" What is that? Is it an illness?"

She laughed. "Not really. It just means that I'm feeling cooped up and would like to get out and stretch my legs."

He nodded. "Ah. I understand." He stood, pulling her up with him, he walked them both to the door, and letting her wrap their fingers together, he walked her off towards the stables.

Catching a servant walking the halls, he ordered that a light lunch be packed and brought out to the courtyard, then continued escorting his Lady, keeping a sharp eye out all the while. He didn't believe whoever had shot at her was still on his palace grounds, but he wasn't willing to let his guard down. He'd almost feel safer once they were outside the shiro - at least then, there'd be no one for another assassin to hide behind.

He could tell that Kagome was also on her guard, and he was not best pleased that she would have to be so in what was now her own home. His inner beast was still furious, and when he found out who was behind this, he would let him out... there would be hell to pay. No one would take Kagome from him... he'd waited for a hundred and forty years for her - and he refused to lose her again.

Hand clenching around hers almost helplessly, he stared down into her beautiful eyes and vowed then and there that he would not be seperated from her - ever. If she died...

He would follow her. Let Inuyasha have the Western Lands... without her, he would no longer care.